inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Xennials

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 10/26/17 at 1:48 pm

Found this article in the newspaper.

Was gonna photo it and then post the photographs but found it online instead.

Thought it would be relevant to this site!

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/too-old-to-be-a-millennial-too-young-for-generation-x-what-am-i-csj5mxwfz

Subject: Re: Xennials

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/26/17 at 1:57 pm

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/too-old-to-be-a-millennial-too-young-for-generation-x-what-am-i-csj5mxwfz

You may not be aware, but The Times newspaper online is subscribed, so you have to register and pay to read the whole report.

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 10/26/17 at 2:14 pm

So it is! I found it because it was on my mom's table and then quickly googled it and found it without looking through it.

Sorry about that!

It's still an interesting talking point though!

Written By: bchris02 on 10/26/17 at 2:44 pm

I fall into that demographic, being born in 1985.

When I was a child and a teenager, I thought I was Generation X.  Around the late '00s I learned I was a Millennial.  Now I am back to being Generation X or at least a Xennial.

I think a lot of this comes from the fact that media focus on "Millennials" typically means high school/college students or young adults just entering the workforce.  We are at a point where high school students are no longer Millennials and it won't be long before college students won't be either.

Written By: Brian06 on 10/26/17 at 3:06 pm

I was born in 1987 tbh I sorta consider myself at the borderline of this xennial thing. This site uses age 30-45 and I'm right at the edge being 30. Honestly I think everybody born in the late '70s or '80s is a Xennial or older millennial in a way. The big thing that makes me feel older is that I remember a bit of the early '90s before there was no internet even if I was little I sorta remember that and people born in like 1993 don't. I was starting high school too on 9/11 as opposed to be being like 6 or something so that's a difference. We're the same generation but like there's still a bit of a gap I think. I certainly feel more like a millennial, but I feel a lot older than the younger ones born in 1995 too. It's not this denial or something I'm just pointing out differences. The point is that a generation is a big spectrum of different ages in reality and there's a bunch of varied experiences to average into the whole idea.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/26/17 at 3:23 pm

I was born in 1987 tbh I sorta consider myself at the borderline of this xennial thing. This site uses age 30-45 and I'm right at the edge being 30. Honestly I think everybody born in the late '70s or '80s is a Xennial or older millennial in a way. The big thing that makes me feel older is that I remember a bit of the early '90s before there was no internet even if I was little I sorta remember that and people born in like 1993 don't. I was starting high school too on 9/11 as opposed to be being like 6 or something so that's a difference. We're the same generation but like there's still a bit of a gap I think. I certainly feel more like a millennial, but I feel a lot older than the younger ones born in 1995 too. It's not this denial or something I'm just pointing out differences. The point is that a generation is a big spectrum of different ages in reality and there's a bunch of varied experiences to average into the whole idea.

I saw an article on Millennials that separates our generation into two groups; those who came of age before or during the 2008 recession and those who came of age afterwards.  I really think that is a great dividing point.  I graduated college in 2008 so I came of age right into the recession.  The older group, which I am a part of, is disadvantaged compared to the younger group.

In terms of Xennials, I think an excellent litmus test is whether or not you were old enough to vote in the Bush v Kerry election.  For most Millennials, Obama v McCain was their first election or maybe even Obama v Romney.  If you voted in Bush v Gore, you are certainly Gen X or older.  Xennials could have voted in Bush v Kerry however.

Written By: Brian06 on 10/26/17 at 3:31 pm

I saw an article on Millennials that separates our generation into two groups; those who came of age before or during the 2008 recession and those who came of age afterwards.  I really think that is a great dividing point.  I graduated college in 2008 so I came of age right into the recession.  The older group, which I am a part of, is disadvantaged compared to the younger group.

In terms of Xennials, I think an excellent litmus test is whether or not you were old enough to vote in the Bush v Kerry election.  For most Millennials, Obama v McCain was their first election or maybe even Obama v Romney.  If you voted in Bush v Gore, you are certainly Gen X or older.  Xennials could have voted in Bush v Kerry however.

Yeah I mean I was 6 months too young to vote in 2004, but as I said there's still like there's buffer zones and all that. I feel more Millennial as I said, but still a generation a large group of people. I feel more part of the 2000s oriented "Gen Y" early Millennial generation, than the 2010s generation. There's people like us that were old enough to drink by the end of the '00s and there's people who are just turning 18 now who are like Gen YZ really. The same things occurs within Gen X as 1964/1965ers are a lot more old school than 1972 or 1973ers.

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 10/26/17 at 4:18 pm

When I was a child and a teenager, I thought I was Generation X.  Around the late '00s I learned I was a Millennial.  Now I am back to being Generation X or at least a Xennial.

I think a lot of this comes from the fact that media focus on "Millennials" typically means high school/college students or young adults just entering the workforce.  We are at a point where high school students are no longer Millennials and it won't be long before college students won't be either.

I know it's annoying how the goalposts keep changing. I was actually gonna put that in my OP.

Now I am getting close to 30 it wouldn't surprise me if I start getting deemed an "Xennial" even though just a few years ago as was slap bang in the millennial group!

I was born in November '89, another awkward date.

I really can't see myself as being anywhere near generation X at all.

The staff at my school were generation X who I looked up to at the time. They are all now in their mid 40s.

I assume coming of age means 18? In which case I turned 18 in November 2007 which would have made me an adult at the height of the recession as well!

People that were a few years older than me like Lewis Hamilton would have been considered generation X/Xennials which I find hard to believe for someone so youthful!

It's not just age but personality that seems to separate millennial from the older generations. Even though millennial are getting older we still seem young.

Written By: Brian06 on 10/26/17 at 4:32 pm

I know it's annoying how the goalposts keep changing. I was actually gonna put that in my OP.

Now I am getting close to 30 it wouldn't surprise me if I start getting deemed an "Xennial" even though just a few years ago as was slap bang in the millennial group!

I was born in November '89, another awkward date.

I really can't see myself as being anywhere near generation X at all.

The staff at my school were generation X who I looked up to at the time. They are all now in their mid 40s.

I assume coming of age means 18? In which case I turned 18 in November 2007 which would have made me an adult at the height of the recession as well!

People that were a few years older than me like Lewis Hamilton would have been considered generation X/Xennials which I find hard to believe for someone so youthful!

It's not just age but personality that seems to separate millennial from the older generations. Even though millennial are getting older we still seem young.

Yeah I'm born May 1987. I'd actually say I've always thought of anybody born since around the mid '70s as young. Even today I'd say you know those 42-43 year olds are a lot younger than an early 50 something. Not that 52 or something is old but 42 still seems a lot younger and closer to me than 52 is. I mean someone born in 1975 they are quite a bit older than me but they're not old enough to be my parent either and way younger than my actual parents that are in their 60s. Now the very early Gen Xers born in the mid 60s are clearly another generation that are 20 years older than me. That gets back to my idea that every spot within a generation is different and generations really are not clearly defined and anybody can make whatever claim they want. People are too obsessed with exact birth years on sites like this but it's really more like this spectrum and you can't necessarily lump large ranges of birth years together. It's sort of hard to explain but that's my view.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/26/17 at 5:03 pm

I would say more like age 21.  18 isn't what it used to be now that most people go to college and/or stay at home longer.  It used to be that turning 18 meant you signed up to go into the military or would enter the workforce upon high school graduation.  Today, the 18-22 age bracket is almost "adolescence plus."

I do identify more with Millennials than Gen X, though I can see why somebody my age might think otherwise.

Written By: Brian06 on 10/26/17 at 5:20 pm

I would say more like age 21.  18 isn't what it used to be now that most people go to college and/or stay at home longer.  It used to be that turning 18 meant you signed up to go into the military or would enter the workforce upon high school graduation.  Today, the 18-22 age bracket is almost "adolescence plus."

I do identify more with Millennials than Gen X, though I can see why somebody my age might think otherwise.

The problem as I said once before is that late Millennials are still very young while the older ones are getting a bit older. The youngest Millennials are only around 20 or so, I mean it's debatable but whatever generally they're around that age. That's the height of being young regardless. The oldest ones are around the mid 30s range, again debatable but that's about where they are. That's young in adult life overall but it's not 22 year old young either it's young family kind of young. The oldest Gen Z are around coming of age now 18-20ish, but most of them are still little kids 10-12 years old and not very influential yet. The late teens early 20s crowd now is really more like Gen YZ, they're not really real Millennials but not quite yet real Gen Z in reality. I have a feeling that in 5 or 10 years this will probably be looked at as the start of a generational transitional but it's just the start.

Written By: 2001 on 10/26/17 at 9:10 pm

Similarly, as someone born February '93, I always thought of myself as tail end millennial or even as the first of the "Digital Natives", but nowadays I seem to be lumped under the category of Ultimate Millennial ;D

Written By: Zelek3 on 10/27/17 at 11:30 pm

The late teens early 20s crowd now is really more like Gen YZ, they're not really real Millennials but not quite yet real Gen Z in reality. I have a feeling that in 5 or 10 years this will probably be looked at as the start of a generational transitional but it's just the start.

I saw a post about this passed around on social media, where the first sentence is true, but the second sentence (specifically, the first part of the second sentence) is really false and cringeworthy.

http://desu-usergeneratedcontent.xyz/co/image/1507/43/1507437020323.png

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/29/17 at 6:45 pm

It's only like that because the term seems to mean a young person rather than a generational cohort, and they are incorrect on that description. Most millennials at this point have been removed from high school for 8 years and college for 4 years. Most college students these days pretty much Gen Z.

I was born in 1987 tbh I sorta consider myself at the borderline of this xennial thing. This site uses age 30-45 and I'm right at the edge being 30. Honestly, I think everybody born in the late '70s or '80s is a Xennial or older millennial in a way.
I've seen people even younger than you putting themselves as Xennials, it seems that it's getting out of hand. In addition to that, the articles about the term for some reason always is about the technology that group experienced rather than everything else. I don't see any discussions about the general atmosphere, the workforce, the political changes or even the pop culture.

I saw an article on Millennials that separates our generation into two groups; those who came of age before or during the 2008 recession and those who came of age afterward.  I really think that is a great dividing point.  I graduated college in 2008 so I came of age right into the recession.  The older group, which I am a part of, is disadvantaged compared to the younger group.

I agree with that article on there are two groups of Millennials. As for graduation, I would keep it at high school and hit 18 considering that not everyone heads to off to college and there are folks who are willing to go straight into the workforce or sign up for the military.

I have to disagree with the second statement though. Weren't half of the Millennials able to vote back in 2004, and most of them able to vote in 2008? When I see first-time voters of 2012, I see them more as the last of Millennials than anything. For last year, it would be the first where Gen Z had a say in voting.

I feel more part of the 2000s oriented "Gen Y" early Millennial generation, than the 2010s generation. There are people like us that were old enough to drink by the end of the '00s and there are people who are just turning 18 now who are like Gen YZ really.
I have felt the same way with your first statement and for the second, I agree with the last part; however, that depends on how long is the Y/Z cusp, and where it starts. 

It's not just age but personality that seems to separate millennial from the older generations. Even though millennials are getting older we still seem young.
I agree that it is. When are they going to realize that Millennials are not that young anymore?

If the personality refers to the stereotypical Millennial traits, then that would be false. Most Millennials aren't in high levels of debt, lazy or even living in their parents' basement. There are millions of them who own a house/apartment, have careers, have families, are married and have their finances in order.

The problem as I said once before is that late Millennials are still very young while the older ones are getting a bit older. The youngest Millennials are only around 20 or so, I mean it's debatable but whatever generally they're around that age. That's the height of being young regardless. The oldest ones are around the mid-30s range, again debatable but that's about where they are. That's young in adult life overall but it's not 22 years old young either it's young family kind of young. The oldest Gen Z is around coming of age now 18-20ish, but most of them are still little kids 10-12 years old and not very influential yet. The late teens early 20s crowd now is really more like Gen YZ, they're not really real Millennials but not quite yet real Gen Z in reality. I have a feeling that in 5 or 10 years this will probably be looked at as the start of a generational transitional but it's just the start.
Yeah, it is still debatable right now although I have seen 1994/95/96 being the typical cutoffs much often rather than 2000.

Similarly, as someone born February '93, I always thought of myself as tail-end millennial or even as the first of the "Digital Natives", but nowadays I seem to be lumped under the category of Ultimate Millennial ;D
This! however, the ultimate Millennial is nothing more than a myth since the characteristics of the "typical" Millennial are of very few people.

I saw a post about this passed around on social media, where the first sentence is true, but the second sentence (specifically, the first part of the second sentence) is really false and cringeworthy.

http://desu-usergeneratedcontent.xyz/co/image/1507/43/1507437020323.png
Agreed! That second sentence is really embarrassing ;D

Oh, BTW guys I encountered this article a week ago and it resonates with this generation. You all should read it.

http://www.dummies.com/business/management/manage-im-not-millennial-millennial/

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 11/07/17 at 12:56 pm

Well today I have officially turned 28, I guess some of those articles will refer to me as an Xennial now! ::)

Can't really believe I've "been an adult" for 10 years! I remember turning 18 and writing my will.
:-X
That was 10 years ago.

I still live in the same bedroom that I did 10 years ago, the difference is I work a full time job instead of go to college.

It's weird how times change, that's why I signed up to this website, to really analyse the passing of time.

If there was one thing I woulda done it would be to somehow have moved on by now. Further than what I have done I mean.

Don't get me wrong I tried, in 2014 I attended selection for the army twice but didn't quite make the grade, if I had of done, I'd have been in for three years by now.

I kinda wish I'd been able to "get ahead" sooner in life and have more memories I guess.

Instead I still live in my childhood home.

Not that relevant to the thread but I figured I'd post to mark the date!

Written By: 2001 on 11/07/17 at 4:03 pm

Well today I have officially turned 28, I guess some of those articles will refer to me as an Xennial now! ::)

Can't really believe I've "been an adult" for 10 years! I remember turning 18 and writing my will.
:-X
That was 10 years ago.

I still live in the same bedroom that I did 10 years ago, the difference is I work a full time job instead of go to college.

It's weird how times change, that's why I signed up to this website, to really analyse the passing of time.

If there was one thing I woulda done it would be to somehow have moved on by now. Further than what I have done I mean.

Don't get me wrong I tried, in 2014 I attended selection for the army twice but didn't quite make the grade, if I had of done, I'd have been in for three years by now.

I kinda wish I'd been able to "get ahead" sooner in life and have more memories I guess.

Instead I still live in my childhood home.

Not that relevant to the thread but I figured I'd post to mark the date!

Happy birthday! :D

And don't worry, it's good you have a full time job. There's no set schedule on when to accomplish major goals. In a way, we're all still little children in adult bodies trying to figure this world out LOL. I'm 24 (almost 25) and I still live with my parents too. :)

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 11/08/17 at 12:19 pm

Heh, thanks, slowpoke :) I just feel like I've missed out on a lotta "young adult" years that I will never experience now, due to not being able to move out, other than for 17 months when I went to uni.

You are at a good age now, make the most of it!

I feel like I should be a few years younger, but I'm not, go figure!

Written By: bchris02 on 11/08/17 at 4:37 pm

Heh, thanks, slowpoke :) I just feel like I've missed out on a lotta "young adult" years that I will never experience now, due to not being able to move out, other than for 17 months when I went to uni.

I agree and feel the same way, but for different reasons than you.

I would love to go back to be 24 again.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/08/17 at 5:45 pm

I'm 30 and I have a nice place of my own, a good job and I also have a nice brand new car. Thing is I don't have the wife I want though and am not that great at talking to women. So I have a lot of trouble with depression. I'm a somewhat mentally unstable and lonely man these days. I wonder if a psychiatrist could help me idk.  :-\\

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 11/08/17 at 10:51 pm

Happy belated birthday

Written By: Brian06 on 11/08/17 at 11:20 pm

I will tell you guys one thing that is important is credit, be careful with your credit. I've now built pretty decent credit, something I didn't have a few years back. I am fortunate enough to be able to drive around in a brand new 2017 Honda Civic right now. Sometimes I don't realize how blessed I am to be driving around in a brand new vehicle and to have had no problem getting it.

My parents are in their 60s and they don't even have the opportunity to get a brand new vehicle like me because they always have had credit problems. Honestly it only took a couple of years of paying my bills and now I have so much. I mean I get depressed for being lonely a lot of times but I do have a lot so I'm thankful for that. The big thing now for me is finding a partner for the rest of my life.

Written By: Howard on 11/09/17 at 5:16 am

I'm 30 and I have a nice place of my own, a good job and I also have a nice brand new car. Thing is I don't have the wife I want though and am not that great at talking to women. So I have a lot of trouble with depression. I'm a somewhat mentally unstable and lonely man these days. I wonder if a psychiatrist could help me idk.  :-\\

Hey I'm going to be 44 next year and I still live with my parents, I have an OK job being a cart attendant at Stop N Shop and I don't have a woman.

Written By: 2001 on 11/09/17 at 11:38 am

Oh, I see. Yeah, people don't get any younger. Once an era is gone, it's truly gone forever. I've been realizing that on my own the last couple of years.

28 is still pretty young though, not much older than 24/25. Hopefully you can get a lot of young adult fun in this year ;)

You were 24 in 2009, right? I can see why ;)

Hopefully the late 2010s are as wild for me as the early 2010s were for you. That would be awesome :D

If you think you have depression, you should definitely see a therapist. There have been huge advances in psychiatry in the last 10-15 years and treatment rates of depression in particular have improved significantly. I hope you get out of that rut.  :-\\

If you have your own place, a job, a car and good credit, finding a woman shouldn't be too difficult, right? :P

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 11/09/17 at 3:38 pm

This Omegle chat makes me feel old (and slightly creepy)

You're now chatting with a random stranger. Say hi!

You both like No bots.

Stranger: Hey

You: hi

Stranger: What's up

You: just looking for females on omegle

Stranger: You found one

You: oh cool

Stranger: I am gay though

You: that's okay

Stranger: Thank god

You: have u ever tried being with a man?

Stranger: Nah not really

Stranger: Only a couple of times

Stranger: Hello?

You: hi

You: sorry didn't mean to be rude

Stranger: It's alright aha

You: but anyway when I put women as an interest it just comes up with loads of bots

Stranger: Ikr

Stranger: This site is terrible for bots

You: it seems so hard to get real interaction online these days! so much spam and bots. I've been on POF but women don't really want to casually chat on there at all

Stranger: What's POF?

You: plenty of fish, it's a dating website. Figured I'd join it just to casually chat with some ladies but they aren't interested much!

Stranger: That's strange

Stranger: Hopefully you'll find someone you can properly talk to

You: yo have you seen jonlajoie he's really funny

Stranger: No idea who he his

You: He's a youtuber from back in the day

Stranger: I'm around 16 so I don't remember a lot of old YouTube

Stranger: I remember the likes of chocolate rain aha

You: I forgot ppl your age are on the internet. My little brother is your age! I'm 28 now. 10 years ago was my day, I'm old now.

Written By: 2001 on 11/09/17 at 7:03 pm

This Omegle chat makes me feel old (and slightly creepy)

Wow, that website still exists? I remember I used to go on Chat Roulette back in, like, 2007 ;D

Written By: Setemstraight on 11/10/17 at 9:25 am

Also born in 85 and never felt like I was apart of Generation X as that was the teens and young adults of the early to mid 90s. I always knew we were part of another generration. Honestly we are millennials BUT not what the media portrays as milliennials. I regard people born in 80s as "Real milliennials" and those born in the later years as Gen Z

Written By: Howard on 11/10/17 at 2:08 pm

Oh, I see. Yeah, people don't get any younger. Once an era is gone, it's truly gone forever. I've been realizing that on my own the last couple of years.

28 is still pretty young though, not much older than 24/25. Hopefully you can get a lot of young adult fun in this year ;)

Hopefully the late 2010s are as wild for me as the early 2010s were for you. That would be awesome :D

If you think you have depression, you should definitely see a therapist. There have been huge advances in psychiatry in the last 10-15 years and treatment rates of depression in particular have improved significantly. I hope you get out of that rut.  :-\\

If you have your own place, a job, a car and good credit, finding a woman shouldn't be too difficult, right? :P

You got to make sure you find the right ones.

Written By: 2001 on 11/10/17 at 2:53 pm

You got to make sure you find the right ones.

Don't wanna date no ratchet af hoe? ;D

Written By: Howard on 11/11/17 at 2:44 pm

Don't wanna date no ratchet af hoe? ;D

Exactly! ;)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 11/11/17 at 6:45 pm

Well, today I have officially turned 28, I guess some of those articles will refer to me as a Xennial now! ::)

I don't think they will. I hope sooner or later, they will realize that mistake and know that Millennials are not THAT young anymore.

I've had the same feeling for some time as well. Like I wish I have already traveled, go clubbing with friends, go out to eat at nice and gourmet restaurants etc. However, how can I do all of that when I don't have good money? I do have a job and all, but it's not helping which is why I'm planning to get a second job.

28 is still pretty young though, not much older than 24/25. Hopefully, you can get a lot of young adult fun in this year ;)

Hopefully, the late 2010s are as wild for me as the early 2010s were for you. That would be awesome :D
I really think this has to do with the economy considering that we all barely got out of the recession not that long ago. Yeah, economists have said that it ended in 2009, but the feeling of it lingered on for several more years. That's why most people had a difficult time finding work, and if they had one it wasn't enough for everything else aside from bills. Because of that catastrophic event, it had forced all of us to put off a lot of milestones over the years.

Also born in 85 and never felt like I was apart of Generation X as that was the teens and young adults of the early to mid-90s. I always knew we were part of another generation. Honestly, we are millennials BUT not what the media portrays as millennials. I regard people born in the 80s as "Real millennials" and those born in the later years as Gen Z
Where do you start Gen Z? So far, the articles have put 1996 as the start rather than 2000 as it was a few years ago.

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 11/17/17 at 3:09 am

Wow, that website still exists? I remember I used to go on Chat Roulette back in, like, 2007 ;D

I shoulda probably gone on that back in the day as those were my loneliest years when I was in my mid to late teens.

I didn't like the image of online interaction back then though. I figured it was kinda geeky. Nowadays I'm not so uptight about stuff and the perception of such things has changed.

Back then I tried making RL friends but was too shy. I think doing some online stuff coulda helped in hindsight.

I don't think they will. I hope sooner or later, they will realize that mistake and know that Millennials are not THAT young anymore.

I've had the same feeling for some time as well. Like I wish I have already traveled, go clubbing with friends, go out to eat at nice and gourmet restaurants etc. However, how can I do all of that when I don't have good money? I do have a job and all, but it's not helping which is why I'm planning to get a second job.
I really think this has to do with the economy considering that we all barely got out of the recession not that long ago. Yeah, economists have said that it ended in 2009, but the feeling of it lingered on for several more years. That's why most people had a difficult time finding work, and if they had one it wasn't enough for everything else aside from bills. Because of that catastrophic event, it had forced all of us to put off a lot of milestones over the years.
Where do you start Gen Z? So far, the articles have put 1996 as the start rather than 2000 as it was a few years ago.

You raise some good points UGD.

The money thing was a problem for me back in my teenage years as well. When I was 18 in 2008 it was the start of the recession and I'd not long been out of my special education school, so really, I never stood much of a chance.

Since I got my full time job in January things have really started happening, but I am nearing 30. Where are all my memories from 10 years ago?

Getting a full time job has been great, but there is less time for nostalgia and I don't like that. If I got a job such as this one 10 years ago I woulda felt a lot differently about things, I might not have even been on these forums because I might have felt like the 2000s for me had been more fulfilled.

But I am glad that there are other people I can nostalgiaise with on here!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 11/17/17 at 7:56 pm

You raise some good points UGD.

The money thing was a problem for me back in my teenage years as well. When I was 18 in 2008 it was the start of the recession and I'd not long been out of my special education school, so really, I never stood much of a chance.

Since I got my full-time job in January things have really started happening, but I am nearing 30. Where are all my memories from 10 years ago?

Getting a full-time job has been great, but there is less time for nostalgia and I don't like that. If I got a job such as this one 10 years ago I woulda felt a lot differently about things, I might not have even been on these forums because I might have felt like the 2000s for me had been more fulfilled.

But I am glad that there are other people I can nostalgiaise with on here!
Yeah, it really sucked. The good thing though is that I heard the economy is kinda improving, but it's still not at the pre-2008 levels. I really hope it does get better soon.

That's great man. I would actually apply for a full-time job, but the issue is that I haven't had enough jobs to transition from part-time to full-time yet, so I have only been applying for positions of the former. That will change soon though.

And I feel you. I have been trying to get a decent job for 3 years, but there hasn't been any success. It sucks how difficult jobs are becoming these days due to significant changes. I'm even lucky that I have one right now which I have had for 2 years, but I only work when there's an event, and it depends on how long the event itself is.

Written By: yelimsexa on 11/20/17 at 12:12 pm

Keep in mind that it's been nearly two decades since Millennials began to enter the pop cultural sportlight (1999 being the first Millennial year with Rap-Rock, the Internet now an appliance, and the beginnings of modern political schemes). They are sometimes known as the "Oregon Trail Generation":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_Trail_Generation

I tend to view 1977-1985 as the range, since a few early studies saw 1977 as the start of Millenials, mostly around the Y2K era just to get a jump on marketing to them back when they were still college aged, but Carter era babies are still X leaning. IMO having any, but not full 1980s experience (even if just childhood trends) is what qualifies as an "Xennial". You could also call them "PC Natives", as by the time the oldest members were grade school aged, PCs had started to become common in schools (around the start of the 1983-84 school year). Core Millennials (IMO 1986-1995) have no '80s and at least some 1990s experience, while those at the tail end only recall the Y2K/pre social media 2000s. Still, they are the present Thirtysomething generation, sandwiched between true youth and middle age, at their most important phase of their careers and family making.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 11/20/17 at 3:35 pm

What I may go by:

At school when the Columbine shooting happened: At least 50% Y

Too young to vote in the 2000 Election: At least 75% Y

Not born yet during the Challenger explosion: 100% Y

Written By: 2001 on 11/20/17 at 5:54 pm

What I may go by:

At school when the Columbine shooting happened: At least 50% Y

Too young to vote in the 2000 Election: At least 75% Y

Not born yet during the Challenger explosion: 100% Y

They're all useless pansy millennials to me.  ;) ;D

We had a politician born 1982 try to run to be the leader of a major political party here. Despite her being almost middle aged, because the media saw her as a millennial, she was considered a youthful candidate that was the voice of our generation, and energizing the youth vote etc. I actually saw her give a speech at a banquet hall, and the person who organized the event said "Not to make you all feel really old, but she's my daughter's age! It's great to see our children's generation trying to make a positive change in the world". To me it was funny. ;D In the eyes of Boomers, everyone born in the '80s = pure millennial.

Written By: Setemstraight on 11/22/17 at 10:35 am

They're all useless pansy millennials to me.  ;) ;D

We had a politician born 1982 try to run to be the leader of a major political party here. Despite her being almost middle aged, because the media saw her as a millennial, she was considered a youthful candidate that was the voice of our generation, and energizing the youth vote etc. I actually saw her give a speech at a banquet hall, and the person who organized the event said "Not to make you all feel really old, but she's my daughter's age! It's great to see our children's generation trying to make a positive change in the world". To me it was funny. ;D In the eyes of Boomers, everyone born in the '80s = pure millennial.

You got to remember boomers are in they're 60s and 70s so anyone under 40, hell even under 50 are kids to them :). It's shows how relative age is.

Check for new replies or respond here...