inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Spy Kids

Written By: Zelek3 on 12/05/17 at 4:12 am

You guys remember these movies?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51ADHvjXLQL.jpg

They were cheesy, but fun when I was a kid, and  screamed early 2000s in their style, such as the bubbly looking tech, or more greenscreens than the Star Wars prequels. They have inspired memes today because of how ridiculous they are, I.e. Do you think God stays in heaven because he too, lives in fear of what he's created?, Somebody ring the Dinkster, I'm the Guy, nothing is unwinnable! *dies*.

Subject: Spy Kids

Written By: Dude111 on 12/05/17 at 7:50 am

I like the first one but they become QUITE STUPID after that!!

Subject: Re: Spy Kids

Written By: Looney Toon on 12/05/17 at 9:12 am

jet2ySx9wLg

Spy Kids oozed early 00's cheesy kid culture, but that what makes it appealing, I think. Certainly fit right in with Disneys other Zoog stuff from '98 to '02.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 12/05/17 at 11:40 am

Yeah that was the biggest trilogy for early 2000's children movies :D. Looking back though, the movies ranged from decent (the first one) to laughably bad (the ominous 3-D film ;D)

I remember the Nostalgic Critic did a review on the 3-D Film, and it definitely enlightened me on how bad the film was, conflicting on how I remembered it to be:

UmjOdfVmIRo

I guess the reason I liked this a lot when I was a kid was because I was a huge Spy-Kids fan as a kid (had 1 & 2 on VHS) and that this was the first movie that I ever saw with 3-D glasses in the theatre. Heck (perhaps I'm wrong) but wasn't this the film that started the 3-D glasses obsession with movies in the 2000's?

Written By: 80sfan on 12/05/17 at 2:54 pm

I loved all three!  8)  8)  8)

Written By: Zelek3 on 12/05/17 at 3:54 pm

jet2ySx9wLg

Spy Kids oozed early 00's cheesy kid culture, but that what makes it appealing, I think. Certainly fit right in with Disneys other Zoog stuff from '98 to '02.

It's funny, I was young enough when Spy Kids 3 came out to think it was a masterpiece, but old enough by the time Sharkboy and Lavagirl came out to think it was the cheesiest/babiest thing ever, even though people who were teens/adults at the time would say "No, they were both the same".

Written By: Looney Toon on 12/05/17 at 4:27 pm

It's funny, I was young enough when Spy Kids 3 came out to think it was a masterpiece, but old enough by the time Sharkboy and Lavagirl came out to think it was the cheesiest/babiest thing ever, even though people who were teens/adults at the time would say "No, they were both the same".

And then when Spy Kids 4 released you were old enough to see the issues Teens/Adults had with the old Spy Kids and Sharkboy/Lava Girl.

Written By: Zelek3 on 12/05/17 at 5:14 pm

And then when Spy Kids 4 released you were old enough to see the issues Teens/Adults had with the old Spy Kids and Sharkboy/Lava Girl.

Never saw the fourth one, all I know is that it was panned even worse than the third one. I do wonder why they made that movie in 2011 instead of waiting later so they could make more nostalgia money; mainstream early 2000s nostalgia didn't exist yet at the time, and is only just now creeping in.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 12/05/17 at 5:53 pm

I do wonder why they made that movie in 2011 instead of waiting later so they could make more nostalgia money; mainstream early 2000s nostalgia didn't exist yet at the time, and is only just now creeping in.

My belief is that Robert Rodriguez wanted to make Spy Kids sequels a mainstay in the 2010s.

This series almost seems to suffer from the Home Alone syndrome: The first two films are the strongest, the third movie was meh, and the fourth one was completely forgettable. 

Written By: 2001 on 12/05/17 at 6:24 pm

I was obsessed with these! I got premium cable sometime in 2003 and I remember these were available on the on-demand channel. Must've watched them like 50 times like kids usually do.  :-[

Written By: Slim95 on 12/05/17 at 8:17 pm

Yeah but I found it dumb. I hated that movie. :P I didn't find it appealing at all.

Written By: Zelek3 on 12/05/17 at 8:37 pm

Yeah but I found it dumb. I hated that movie. :P I didn't find it appealing at all.

By the time Sharkboy and Lavagirl (another Rodriguez movie in a similar vein) came out in 2005 I had become juuuuuussssst old enough to notice its cringeyness, whereas with Spy Kids 1-3 I was too young to notice the cringeyness, lol.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 12/05/17 at 8:47 pm

My belief is that Robert Rodriguez wanted to make Spy Kids sequels a mainstay in the 2010s.

This series almost seems to suffer from the Home Alone syndrome: The first two films are the strongest, the third movie was meh, and the fourth one was completely forgettable.

Good point. Although with the first two Home Alone films, they were actually good. Not just good by ‘kiddy’ standards, but they were generally good and classic films.

Heck those two films still get replayed during Christmas time till this day. Perhaps it’s the Holiday Spirit of the Home Alone films, but I honestly do not see the Spy Kids films getting that same nostalgic treatment 10 years from now.

And this is coming from someone who grew up with the Spy Kids trilogy (for better or worse).

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/05/17 at 9:05 pm

The first one was alright, but I could never really get into them, because I thought they were pretty stupid (even at my age). A lot of people in my year group at school loved those movies though.

Written By: Shemp97 on 12/10/17 at 4:28 pm

Yeah that was the biggest trilogy for early 2000's children movies :D. Looking back though, the movies ranged from decent (the first one) to laughably bad (the ominous 3-D film ;D)

I remember the Nostalgic Critic did a review on the 3-D Film, and it definitely enlightened me on how bad the film was, conflicting on how I remembered it to be:

UmjOdfVmIRo

I guess the reason I liked this a lot when I was a kid was because I was a huge Spy-Kids fan as a kid (had 1 & 2 on VHS) and that this was the first movie that I ever saw with 3-D glasses in the theatre. Heck (perhaps I'm wrong) but wasn't this the film that started the 3-D glasses obsession with movies in the 2000's?

Everybody knew the 3rd film was bad. It was a big disappointment to fans of the first 2 movies like myself.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/13/17 at 10:19 am

This was part of that group of early '00s kid things that I started to feel too old for. My 1991er brother was closer to the age of kids that liked these movies, but I'm not sure if he did or not.

Check for new replies or respond here...