inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: THE WB's faux TGIF 2.0 lineup (anyone remember this ?)

Written By: John Titor on 12/29/17 at 6:47 pm

rEbTQLjZf98

mhtqa6mYWyU

Subject: Re: THE WB's faux TGIF 2.0 lineup (anyone remember this ?)

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/30/17 at 7:27 am

Sabrina was part of ABC's TGIF for most of its run in the tail end of its era. Reba (IMO the most popular show of its lineup) and Maybe It's Me formed the rest of the block that season, with What I Like About You and Greetings From Tuscon replacing Maybe It's Me and Raising Dad for the 2002-03 season. Like Family, Grounded for Life, and All-Andersons were on for 2003-04, with Reba still remaining on the schedule and What I Like About You reappearing after a brief hiatus. Even Scooby-Doo appeared shortly on its primetime lineup around 2005, and Steve Harvey also made some appearances. Even in 2005-06, you still had Reba and What I Like About You with Twins and Living With Fran new for that season. But then it rapidly came apart around the spring of 2006, first with the reality show Survival of the Richest, followed by movies, frequently pre-empting the block, and then by the fall of 2006, of course you had the network change from WB to CW and with it the WWE Friday Night Smackdown block put an end to this "TGIF 2.0" block altogether.

Subject: Re: THE WB's faux TGIF 2.0 lineup (anyone remember this ?)

Written By: John Titor on 12/30/17 at 10:51 am

Sabrina was part of ABC's TGIF for most of its run in the tail end of its era. Reba (IMO the most popular show of its lineup) and Maybe It's Me formed the rest of the block that season, with What I Like About You and Greetings From Tuscon replacing Maybe It's Me and Raising Dad for the 2002-03 season. Like Family, Grounded for Life, and All-Andersons were on for 2003-04, with Reba still remaining on the schedule and What I Like About You reappearing after a brief hiatus. Even Scooby-Doo appeared shortly on its primetime lineup around 2005, and Steve Harvey also made some appearances. Even in 2005-06, you still had Reba and What I Like About You with Twins and Living With Fran new for that season. But then it rapidly came apart around the spring of 2006, first with the reality show Survival of the Richest, followed by movies, frequently pre-empting the block, and then by the fall of 2006, of course you had the network change from WB to CW and with it the WWE Friday Night Smackdown block put an end to this "TGIF 2.0" block altogether.

It was a nice block,  for the first few years,  I see why ABC axed TGIF,  Boy meets World and Sabrina was all they  had,  Abc decided to axe Sabrina, then it went to WB, and BMW ended its run, leaving TGIF with nothing to program it with.  I remember tuning in that Fall 2000 to Sabrina in the same time as it was on TGIF just on The WB, the tone of the show was changed, the camera method used a vignetting effect to make the show look darker, Sabrina dyed her hair Red, went to college, it was just very very weird but yet familiar at the same time.  Rasing Dad was The WB's attempt at getting another Full House show, (The WB tryed to purchase Full House to use on their network when ABC canceled it in 1995)  WB also had Sister Sister another TGIF axed show (altho it would be aired on a different day) It was very clear the WB was just cherry picking TGIF stars for its new block.  I had no idea the WB's TGIF lasted all the way to even 2005, I tuned out around that time.

Then ABC said O sheesh! and brought back TGIF in 2003 due to The WB bringing the heat, and it was terrible, they had terrible shows like Life of Bonnie and there was no transitions with the cast in the livingroom introducing the next show, it was very cheaply made and no effort was made into it, most of these shows were more adult themed. I think now that Miller Boyett is back  (the company relaunched when FULLER HOUSE was made) I think some more efforts can be made to make more sitcoms to even air on a new TGIF.

Check for new replies or respond here...