inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What's your favorite year of the 2000s and why?

Written By: doublejm1 on 01/08/18 at 12:37 pm

What's your favorite year of the 2000s? Why?
Feel free to include reasons both personal (e.g., family vacations, relationships, college, etc.) and pop culture related (e.g., music, movies, etc.).

I'll go first. Mine is 2005.

- I hooked up that year with my now-wife. I had actually met her on the first day of middle school in 1996. (She sat next to me in homeroom.) After that year, I don't remember seeing her again until prom night in the 12th grade. She greeted me in the elevator, and I was actually "dating" someone else at the time. Two years later, in 2005, she saw me on two mutual friends' MySpace pages and decided to reach out. We began talking with one another, arranged an in-person meeting, and officially began dating six days after my 20th birthday. I never had a serious relationship in my teens (only one or two short flings), so the manner in which fate brought us back together was pretty special. It's as if destiny waited for me to kiss my teenage years goodbye before allowing me to find true love.

- I transferrred from a community college to a four-year university, which was pretty exciting. Being a college student was exhilarating enough because of the freedom/lack of responsibility, but technological advances in 2005 (social media, broadband, YouTube, cell phones, etc.) made the experience even more thrilling.

- After being pushed to study accounting by my dad (himself an accountant) since high school, I opted in my junior year at the university to change my major to marketing. I never looked back and have worked in the field ever since.

- I took my first paid job in 2005. During my stint at the community college (fall 2003- spring 2005), I was enrolled in a demanding honors program that advised students against working.

- As far as movies and music, there were several good flicks and songs that came out that year (Batman Begins, The 40-Year-Old Virgin, 50 Cent, Green Day, Chris Brown, Rihanna, T-Pain, etc.).

In sum, two of the biggest decisions one can make in their life were settled in 2005: I hooked up with the person I wound up marrying, and I chose the career path I remain in today. It was an exciting, unpredictable, and unforgettable year. With a new job and new girlfriend, I felt as if I'd finally ventured into adulthood. No year has been nearly as consequential since. My wife also considers 2005 -- not the year we got married -- the best year of her life.

I'm interested in seeing which year in the 2000s tops your list and why. Remember, feel free to touch on pop culture, personal and professional achievements, and so on.

Subject: Re: What's your favorite year of the 2000s and why?

Written By: ofkx on 01/08/18 at 12:49 pm

2008/09, because I spent them in Australia.
Also, 2005, because it’s the first year that I have any memories from. My family and I went on this super cool (almost) month long road trip. We actually visited 4 countries.

Written By: Dundee on 03/14/18 at 4:21 am

2003; I had an absolutely amazing summer that year. I was also doing great at school. I felt proud and mature to learn basic maths instead of nursery rhymes ;D

Written By: John Titor on 03/14/18 at 10:51 am

2005 or 2006

2002 is a runner up

I flip flop between 2002 and 2005,  but 2005 was the best, it had the greatest sense of fun and adventure

Written By: Rainbowz on 04/04/18 at 5:09 pm

Pop culture wise, 2003.

Personally, 2009.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 04/04/18 at 6:55 pm

2003 all the way.
Kindergarten was lots of fun, I had a Razor scooter, played video games a lot with my cousin and sister, I got my PlayStation 2 with SSX3 for Christmas that year, and musically, it was the best year of the 00s hands down, with Evanescence, Linkin Park, Blink 182, Yellowcard, Three Days Grace, Finger Eleven, Fountains of Wayne, and some fun party rap songs like "In Da Club", "Get Low", "Shake Ya Tailfeather", and "Hey Ya".

Written By: 2001 on 04/04/18 at 8:24 pm

2000. It was the height of Pokémon, Digimon and 5th Gen gaming!

For my teen years I pick 2009. Early 2009 is actually the darkest period of my life, but late 2009 was amazing. The pop culture though I liked from beginning to end.

Written By: Dr. Mario on 04/04/18 at 8:39 pm

2007 was the best year for gaming and a great year for YouTube. I was in kindergarten.

Written By: 2001 on 04/04/18 at 8:47 pm

2007 was the best year for gaming and a great year for YouTube. I was in kindergarten.

2015 was the best year of my teens, so far. It was also the best year of the 2010's in terms of pop culture.

Are you counting 2015 as a part of the 2000s? :P

Written By: Dr. Mario on 04/04/18 at 8:48 pm

Are you counting 2015 as a part of the 2000s? :P

I slightly misread the title.  :-\\

Written By: Wobo on 04/05/18 at 2:26 am

2008 and 2009 because I remember those years.
2005 culturally.

Written By: ofkx on 04/05/18 at 5:41 am

2003 all the way.
Kindergarten was lots of fun, I had a Razor scooter, played video games a lot with my cousin and sister, I got my PlayStation 2 with SSX3 for Christmas that year, and musically, it was the best year of the 00s hands down, with Evanescence, Linkin Park, Blink 182, Yellowcard, Three Days Grace, Finger Eleven, Fountains of Wayne, and some fun party rap songs like "In Da Club", "Get Low", "Shake Ya Tailfeather", and "Hey Ya".

I used to love mine so much :D. It had l lights on the sides and I thought that was the COOLEST thing ever. I rode it to literally everywhere ;D.

Written By: SpyroKev on 04/05/18 at 8:10 am

I liked 2002 even when I didn't care for favorites of a year back then. Man, 02 really accomplished something for me.

04 and 05, I like now but didn't like at first view like 02. I liked 2002 instantly.

Written By: Balty Raven on 04/05/18 at 9:29 am

2005 obviously. Greatest year of my childhood.

Written By: violet_shy on 04/05/18 at 7:31 pm

Everything was perfect for me that year. I was really young, my antics were amazing(lol). I had my gorgeous long hair still. I was gorgeous(still am but I'm older now). At 25 my life was beautiful! *sigh* longing to relive that year if I could for a day. ❤

Written By: Dundee on 04/06/18 at 5:03 am

2003 all the way.
Kindergarten was lots of fun, I had a Razor scooter, played video games a lot with my cousin and sister, I got my PlayStation 2 with SSX3 for Christmas that year, and musically, it was the best year of the 00s hands down
We both have earily a very similar opinion :o

Written By: graciee on 04/06/18 at 10:45 pm

I like 2009 because I like that year for music. ^_^

Written By: GH1996 on 04/08/18 at 5:16 pm

Either 2004 or 2006, both years i went on a roadtrip with my friends family to a lake in the interior of BC here.. just sitting in the car for 14 hours listening to my 1st gen ipod with all the early 00's hits on it.. just a little bit nostalgic!

Check for new replies or respond here...