inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: May 2005 - Atmosphere (Spinoff) - (photo Album)

Written By: John Titor on 01/15/18 at 9:49 am

http://s-hamilton.us/music/04_05/band_trip/05trip69.jpg
http://s-hamilton.us/images/SH_04_05/04_05_image_169.jpg
http://s-hamilton.us/images/SH_04_05/04_05_image_60.jpg
http://s-hamilton.us/images/SH_04_05/04_05_image_12.jpg
http://s-hamilton.us/images/SH_04_05/04_05_image_21.jpg
http://s-hamilton.us/images/SH_04_05/04_05_image_33.jpg
http://s-hamilton.us/images/SH_04_05/04_05_image_110.jpg
http://www.labelscar.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/machesney-park-mall-20.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-U-HesdNx7KM/Ut0vG_RdJCI/AAAAAAAACm4/R6ybtiOeBrM/s1600/DSC01251.JPG
https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2016-08/2/2/asset/buzzfeed-prod-web14/sub-buzz-18005-1470118322-1.jpg?downsize=715:*&output-format=auto&output-quality=auto
http://s-hamilton.us/images/SH_04_05/04_05_image_63.jpg
http://s-hamilton.us/music/04_05/band_trip/05trip29.jpg
http://s-hamilton.us/music/04_05/band_trip/05trip32.jpg
https://prairiewanderer.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/20050920-applestore_nysoho071.jpg
http://s-hamilton.us/music/04_05/band_trip/05trip51.jpg
http://images.eil.com/large_image/XXX-369644.jpg
http://s-hamilton.us/music/04_05/band_trip/05trip72.jpg

Subject: Re: May 2005 - Atmosphere (Spinoff) - (photo Album)

Written By: Wobo on 01/15/18 at 12:44 pm

I turned 1 in May of 2005  :)

Written By: Slim95 on 01/15/18 at 3:04 pm

2005 was one of the best years of my life. Probably my third favourite year ever.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/15/18 at 3:10 pm

2005 was one of the best years of my life. Probably my third favourite year ever.
It was a good year for me too, good for networking and staff bonding.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/15/18 at 3:46 pm

You cannot get any more Mid 2000s than this lol. The pictures with the teens in the mall perfectly defines the mid 2000s, a time of excess and gaudy teens trying to be 'gangsta' or 'preppy'. Damn I miss the mid 2000s...

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/15/18 at 4:07 pm

Where do you guys get these photos? Because while I don't recognize the people, that looks exactly like the library at my alma mater.

Written By: ofkx on 01/16/18 at 2:18 pm

Finally, a year I can (kinda) remember.

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/16/18 at 6:23 pm

Finally, a year I can (kinda) remember.

There's one for August 2008.

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/16/18 at 7:20 pm

Those knee length short, jean skirts gave it all away. Also, those leant back flat screen computers.
You cannot get any more Mid 2000s than this lol. The pictures with the teens in the mall perfectly defines the mid 2000s, a time of excess and gaudy teens trying to be 'gangsta' or 'preppy'. Damn I miss the mid 2000s...

I do to man. Glad I was able to comprehend enough of the culture of 05.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/17/18 at 7:30 am

2005 was a good year for me too. May was a good time, as was summer, but my favourite month of the year want November.

Written By: John Titor on 01/18/18 at 12:13 pm

2005 was a good year for me too. May was a good time, as was summer, but my favourite month of the year want November.

how so

Written By: doublejm1 on 01/18/18 at 12:50 pm

I hooked up in March 2005 with the girl I went on to marry years later, so it was certainly a great year for me. It was also an exciting time because I transferred to a university and got my first paid job after earning my associate's degree at a local community college. Once I got to the university, I changed my major to the field I work in today.

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/18/18 at 2:11 pm

2005 sucked for me, although not as badly as, say, 2016. Now that was the pits.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/18/18 at 4:32 pm

how so

I went on a trip to Europe, 3 countries (France, Switzerland, Italy). It was a great time!

Written By: John Titor on 01/20/18 at 1:27 pm

I went on a trip to Europe, 3 countries (France, Switzerland, Italy). It was a great time!

amazing

Written By: 2001 on 01/20/18 at 1:49 pm

This was the year from hell for me. That picture with the middle school girls brings back really bad memories. Rest in piss 2005!

Written By: 2001 on 01/20/18 at 1:54 pm

I went to London in March of that year. It was a rather sad trip though, because my grandma died a few weeks earlier and my mom was just crying all the time.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/20/18 at 1:56 pm

Unfortunately for me, it was the beginning of my sour relationship with some people around me. 'Sour' is being too nice.  :P

Written By: 80sfan on 01/20/18 at 2:09 pm

This was the year from hell for me. That picture with the middle school girls brings back really bad memories. Rest in piss 2005!

I remember being 9 years old, maybe 9 and 1/2 years old. I was a chubby, mentally unbalanced kid. I was trying to be warm and friendly to these four kids. They all snubbed me. They were really cold and snobby towards me! So now, when I see some groups of some white kids, I sometimes want to throw a match at them.  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  :-X  :-X

Personally, it wasn't/isn't just white kids, just young people, usually age 8 to 16, in general. So my hate has its roots and reasons.  ;D

It plays into my prejudice against rural kids, because those four kids looked like they just moved out from a rural area in Nebraska.

Some things trigger you, and you can't help it 100%. You keep it in check 90% of the time, but the other 10%, sometimes you get triggered!  :P  :P  :P

Written By: 2001 on 01/20/18 at 2:12 pm

I remember being 9 years old, maybe 9 and 1/2 years old. I was a chubby, mentally unbalanced kid. I was trying to be warm and friendly to these four kids. They all snubbed me. They were really cold and snobby towards me! So now, when I see some groups of some white kids, I want to throw a match at them.  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  :-X  :-X

Some things trigger you, and you can't help it 100%. You keep it in check 90% of the time, but the other 10%, sometimes you get triggered!  :P  :P  :P

Ouch! 9 years old? I thought the cliquey drama phase didn't start until Grade 5. :o

Those girls are smiling and looking nice and friendly, but I bet they gossiped about each other on MSN or MySpace back then ;D

There was a movie about Cyberbullying in middle school, it was called "Odd Girl Out" and it actually came out April 2005. That's what it reminds me of.  :-\\

Written By: 80sfan on 01/20/18 at 2:18 pm

Ouch! 9 years old? I thought the cliquey drama phase didn't start until Grade 5. :o

Those girls are smiling and looking nice and friendly, but I bet they gossiped about each other on MSN or MySpace back then ;D

There was a movie about Cyberbullying, it was called "Odd Girl Out" and came out in 2006. That's what it reminds me of.

The kids were a little older. I was a 3rd grader, they were probably in 4th and 5th grade. So they were probably roughly ages 9 to 11. They looked more like 10/11 years old, though.

It's possible that it was just 'grade-ism'. You're look like a 3rd grader, so we don't want to speak to you!
It could also be that they're anxious/nervous, because they just moved out from their rural city/area. So they're suspicious of newcomers, or they don't like people that they don't feel comfortable around.

Other things is they might have been racist, for all I know. I mean, I was Asian and chubby.  :D  :D  :D
Or, they were just cliquey and/or snobby/mean people, and it was nothing deeper.  :o

Written By: 2001 on 01/20/18 at 2:20 pm

I remember being 9 years old, maybe 9 and 1/2 years old. I was a chubby, mentally unbalanced kid. I was trying to be warm and friendly to these four kids. They all snubbed me. They were really cold and snobby towards me! So now, when I see some groups of some white kids, I sometimes want to throw a match at them.  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  :-X  :-X

Personally, it wasn't/isn't just white kids, just young people, usually age 8 to 16, in general. So my hate has its roots and reasons.  ;D

It plays into my prejudice against rural kids, because those four kids looked like they just moved out from a rural area in Nebraska.

Do the pictures above bring back bad memories for you too?

Written By: 80sfan on 01/20/18 at 2:23 pm

Do the pictures above bring back bad memories for you too?

No, because they'd have to be younger, like age 10 to 13.  ;D  ;D  ;D

To put my story into perspective, it was around the Spring of 1998. So put the technological aspect of that into perspective.  :o

Written By: Slim95 on 01/20/18 at 3:10 pm

I was 10 in 2005 and moved cities so it was a big year of change for me. Plus so much other stuff happened that year like my family coming visit and me making so many new friendships that year. It was very dreamy looking back now.

In terms of pop culture, things didn't totally suck yet. They were getting there but 2005 still had that classic 2000s vibe we all know and love. There was some music from that year that was fun to jam to and some good shows around. Movies were good, I hate all the Star Wars prequels but the revenge of the sith was the best one of the prequels. Then I remember when I moved cities in late 2005 the Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe movie came out in theatres and I remember liking it when I watched it. I miss 2005 a lot.

Written By: 2001 on 01/20/18 at 3:56 pm

The kids were a little older. I was a 3rd grader, they were probably in 4th and 5th grade. So they were probably roughly ages 9 to 11. They looked more like 10/11 years old, though.

It's possible that it was just 'grade-ism'. You're look like a 3rd grader, so we don't want to speak to you!
It could also be that they're anxious/nervous, because they just moved out from their rural city/area. So they're suspicious of newcomers, or they don't like people that they don't feel comfortable around.

Other things is they might have been racist, for all I know. I mean, I was Asian and chubby.  :D  :D  :D
Or, they were just cliquey and/or snobby/mean people, and it was nothing deeper.  :o

Wow, those kids were really mean. Kids shouldn't be racist, they learnt it from their parents. My friends picked on me sometimes, but every kid in my neighbourhood were friends with each other no matter what race or grade (except kindergarteners). I didn't even know what race was until I was like 12 and I watched Russel Peters.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/20/18 at 4:20 pm

Wow, those kids were really mean. Kids shouldn't be racist, they learnt it from their parents. My friends picked on me sometimes, but every kid in my neighbourhood were friends with each other no matter what race or grade (except kindergarteners). I didn't even know what race was until I was like 12 and I watched Russel Peters.

I did experience real racism once. Me and my mother were shopping at a mall, and in the perfume store. My mother was asking for help. The woman was white. She ignored us even though my mother asked for help. My mother had to show all her credit cards and dollars, THEN the woman believed that we had money to buy their perfumes!  :P  :P

We weren't dressed raggedy, or shabbily, either. We were dressed nice. That was an obvious experience of racism that I experienced, in 2010!!!  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o

As for those three, or four, white kids. It could be they were just snobby. I want to claw their eyes out. Or just hating on me, because I was like two grades down from them! But, you never know, it could be they were taught to hate and be snotty towards those with a different race from them.

Written By: 2001 on 01/20/18 at 6:15 pm

I did experience real racism once. Me and my mother were shopping at a mall, and in the perfume store. My mother was asking for help. The woman was white. She ignored us even though my mother asked for help. My mother had to show all her credit cards and dollars, THEN the woman believed that we had money to buy their perfumes!  :P  :P

We weren't dressed raggedy, or shabbily, either. We were dressed nice. That was an obvious experience of racism that I experienced, in 2010!!!  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o

As for those three, or four, white kids. It could be they were just snobby. I want to claw their eyes out. Or just hating on me, because I was like two grades down from them! But, you never know, it could be they were taught to hate and be snotty towards those with a different race from them.

I only experienced direct racism once. I wrote about it in another thread. I was on the bus and these two kids tried to get my attention by shouting Arabic names like "Mohammed", "Ibrahim", "Khalid" etc. Mess, I'm not even Arab. I pretended like I didn't hear them and they stopped. Thankfully I my stop was the next one, made small chat with the bus driver and got off. That was in 2012. I was proud of myself for not showing them I was bothered.  8)

I did overhear a kid in my class, in 2009, complaining about how there are too many immigrants in Canada. I'm not an immigrant but I'm sure he thought of me as foreign. We were assigned to a group project together and I did all the work! His ass better be grateful. I stole his best friend too. His friend that used to sit beside him in class started sitting beside me in the end (because of another class we had together). I met him again in 2013 at the mall. He dropped out of uni and was working at a clothing store. I told him I was studying Physics and had a well paying research job and how amazing it was. I did not hold back on the bragging. Honestly, it's the best kind of revenge against a racist  ;D

Written By: Longaotian00 on 01/20/18 at 7:01 pm

I only experienced direct racism once. I wrote about it in another thread. I was on the bus and these two kids tried to get my attention by shouting Arabic names like "Mohammed", "Ibrahim", "Khalid" etc. Mess, I'm not even Arab. I pretended like I didn't hear them and they stopped. Thankfully I my stop was the next one, made small chat with the bus driver and got off. That was in 2012. I was proud of myself for not showing them I was bothered.  8)

I did overhear a kid in my class, in 2009, complaining about how there are too many immigrants in Canada. I'm not an immigrant but I'm sure he thought of me as foreign. We were assigned to a group project together and I did all the work! His ass better be grateful. I stole his best friend too. His friend that used to sit beside him in class started sitting beside me in the end (because of another class we had together). I met him again in 2013 at the mall. He dropped out of uni and was working at a clothing store. I told him I was studying Physics and had a well paying research job and how amazing it was. I did not hold back on the bragging. Honestly, it's the best kind of revenge against a racist  ;D

I've personally never heard any outright racist comments in public before but some people in the years below me at my school have said some pretty racist things.

Written By: 2001 on 01/20/18 at 11:12 pm

I've personally never heard any outright racist comments in public before but some people in the years below me at my school have said some pretty racist things.

Yikes those are still kids aren't they?

Written By: Longaotian00 on 01/20/18 at 11:18 pm

Yikes those are still kids aren't they?

No, they're in like Year 9-11 so probably around 13-15 year olds.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/20/18 at 11:37 pm

>:(  >:(  >:(

Written By: mjstudios97 on 01/21/18 at 5:22 pm

I was 7 years old in 2005, and then I had my 8th birthday in September. I had just moved into the suburbs in the Inland Empire after Christmas 2004. I finally lived in homey nice two-story house from a small apartment im Los Angeles.

I remember trying to adjust to life with new classmates, after changing schools in the middle of my second grade year and a lot of the kids were very open and welcoming to me. I had a crush on a girl from the first day of school, who gave me a tour of my elementary school. I had a crush on her for a few years until she moved in fifth grade.

I wasn't really keen about the outside world at this point yet other than my personal one.

Written By: aja675 on 01/24/18 at 9:40 am

https://www.quora.com/I-was-beaten-up-by-black-kids-a-lot-when-I-was-a-kid-How-do-I-get-the-hate-out-of-my-heart/answer/Marc-Nathaniel-R-Agcaoili

Written By: Slim95 on 01/25/18 at 2:11 am

https://www.quora.com/I-was-beaten-up-by-black-kids-a-lot-when-I-was-a-kid-How-do-I-get-the-hate-out-of-my-heart/answer/Marc-Nathaniel-R-Agcaoili

That quora thread came up in my inbox today too.

Written By: aja675 on 01/25/18 at 2:57 am

That quora thread came up in my inbox today too.

BTW, I wrote that specific answer.

Written By: 2001 on 01/25/18 at 12:07 pm

That's just racist (the questioner). I got beat up a lot by mainly Greek/Russian kids and there was this Venezuelan girl and Sudanese guy who used to give me particular hell but I harbour no ill-will towards those ethnic groups, I've met many who were kind and great and others not-so-great, it's the same with everybody else. The antidote is to get over yourself and go meet people from those countries or racial background and realize they're not all the same. There are many amazing people from those backgrounds. No excuse for prejudice in 2018.  :(

Written By: Slim95 on 01/25/18 at 12:12 pm

Yeah racism doesn't make sense. We're all human, and just because someone had certain experiences from an ethnic group does not make it right to generalize an entire race of people .

Written By: John Titor on 02/02/18 at 3:21 pm

Yeah racism doesn't make sense. We're all human, and just because someone had certain experiences from an ethnic group does not make it right to generalize an entire race of people .

Written By: 80sfan on 02/02/18 at 3:37 pm

I don't know, the three, or four, kids, from that incident I had in 1998, were all white. But I have tons of white friends, and Asian, Black, Mexican, Gays, etc, etc.

Obviously, the person who wrote that Quora question is triggered. And  yeah, it is racist. Hopefully, that person can change and grow.

I'll admit, sometimes when I see someone too detached/stoic, I get a bit triggered. But not because of race. I also get why lots of rural folks are stoic and unwelcoming of newcomers, in their small towns. A good number of city folk can be pushy, try to change the rural folks, or are just a bit arrogant. I can now see why rural folks are a bit awkward towards city folks.   

Written By: 2001 on 02/02/18 at 4:39 pm

I don't know, the three, or four, kids, from that incident I had in 1998, were all white. But I have tons of white friends, and Asian, Black, Mexican, Gays, etc, etc.

Obviously, the person who wrote that Quora question is triggered. And  yeah, it is racist. Hopefully, that person can change and grow.

I'll admit, sometimes when I see someone too detached/stoic, I get a bit triggered. But not because of race. I also get why lots of rural folks are stoic and unwelcoming of newcomers, in their small towns. A good number of city folk can be pushy, try to change the rural folks, or are just a bit arrogant. I can now see why rural folks are a bit awkward towards city folks. 

Rural people are stoic? :o

Written By: 80sfan on 02/02/18 at 4:52 pm

Rural people are stoic? :o

I think it's more the Midwestern ones!  :-X

Written By: John Titor on 03/23/18 at 5:31 pm

may/june of 2005 is like PEAK 2000s

Written By: 2001 on 03/26/18 at 10:21 pm

Lol like I've always been saying, mid-2000s fashion is absolutely tragic.

I remember looking back at 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s etc. fashion back then and it always looked so distinct, but 1990s and 2000s fashion always seemed so non-descript and 'regular' to me. Back then I thought "it only looks normal because it's the era I'm living through, two decades from now it will look just as weird as the 1970s" but nope, even looking at this in 2018, it really was as bland as can be.

Written By: John Titor on 03/27/18 at 12:56 pm

Lol like I've always been saying, mid-2000s fashion is absolutely tragic.

I remember looking back at 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s etc. fashion back then and it always looked so distinct, but 1990s and 2000s fashion always seemed so non-descript and 'regular' to me. Back then I thought "it only looks normal because it's the era I'm living through, two decades from now it will look just as weird as the 1970s" but nope, even looking at this in 2018, it really was as bland as can be.

it was very THE OC ish

Check for new replies or respond here...