inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Aspects of the 2000s you remember that most people have forgotten

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/24/18 at 6:42 pm

The title says it all. One detail that comes to mind is the features surrounding cellphones. I have noticed that when most people discuss cell phones, they never mention that the phones didn't have unlimited data nor do they say that it was challenging to text a friend due to the way cell phones looked at that time. In addition to that, some folks believed that because a lot of others had a mobile phone, that meant they were always calling or messaging their friends and family. That component is inaccurate considering that if one went over the limit in his or her data plan, the bill would be expensive. It's honestly mind-boggling how the majority of people forget how limited phones were back then. They were not same in any way as the ones today even if we only factor in calls and messages.

Subject: Re: Aspects of the 2000s you remember that most people have forgotten

Written By: 2001 on 01/24/18 at 10:15 pm

I feel like spikey hair was popular throughout the decade. By spikey I mean getting hair gel and making your hair point upwards, and it's very shiny. There were various different styles of it, in the beginning it was frosted tips and towards the end of the decade it was hair pointing upwards with the sides shorter or facing down, but it was still all a play on the same style.

It's the most defining hairstyle of the 2000s IMO, not the emo shag. There are still loads of kids spiking their hair in my 2009-10 graduating yearbook.

Written By: wixness on 01/24/18 at 10:58 pm

The title says it all. One detail that comes to mind is the features surrounding cellphones. I have noticed that when most people discuss cell phones, they never mention that the phones didn't have unlimited data nor do they say that it was challenging to text a friend due to the way cell phones looked at that time. In addition to that, some folks believed that because a lot of others had a mobile phone, that meant they were always calling or messaging their friends and family. That component is inaccurate considering that if one went over the limit in his or her data plan, the bill would be expensive. It's honestly mind-boggling how the majority of people forget how limited phones were back then. They were not same in any way as the ones today even if we only factor in calls and messages.

Where I am (UK), more networks had unlimited data. Notably O2, when they have now ditched it. In my opinion, I believe that T9 is the superior method to type in - I guess they never used that and just used QWERTY instead.

I guess the first phone I used was probably quite expensive or otherwise novel for the time - I used feature phones and never used something like a Nokia 3310. Granted, I have seen people with phones as basic as that.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 01/24/18 at 11:12 pm

I see a lot of people say that iPhones weren't common until 2010/11, but I remember a good amount of people in my school, family members, etc. getting them in 2008/early 2009 in my area.

I didn't get one until I was 12, I believe, but I still used my mom's for games and stuff before then. I really liked Pocket God and Tap Tap Revenge during that time, not sure if anyone remembers those games.

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/25/18 at 5:07 am

I see a lot of people say that iPhones weren't common until 2010/11, but I remember a good amount of people in my school, family members, etc. getting them in 2008/early 2009 in my area.

I didn't get one until I was 12, I believe, but I still used my mom's for games and stuff before then. I really liked Pocket God and Tap Tap Revenge during that time, not sure if anyone remembers those games.

That’s interesting. I personally recall most people using blackberry phones in late 2008 / early 2009 to 2010,  even though the App Store was already released at that time. I’d say the earliest when iPhones were becoming common (at least where I live) is mid-late 2009.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/25/18 at 6:07 am

I remember some services had push to talk and it acted like a walkie talkie feature. Phone menus were also hard to navigate and doing anything with them took effort.

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/25/18 at 8:44 am

Having cellphone "minutes" just seems so vintage now lol

Written By: 2001 on 01/25/18 at 11:58 am

I used to have prepaid, and I'd get those cards from the vending machine with the code to add minutes lmao.

Written By: John Titor on 01/25/18 at 12:23 pm

That’s interesting. I personally recall most people using blackberry phones in late 2008 / early 2009 to 2010,  even though the App Store was already released at that time. I’d say the earliest when iPhones were becoming common (at least where I live) is mid-late 2009.

Blackberry pearl debuted in late 2006 and was huge

Written By: XYkid on 01/25/18 at 12:38 pm

Seriously? I lived in a fairly wealthy area around that time and even there it wasn't super common for people to have iPhones, I mostly saw Blackberries or the Helio Ocean (a forgotten proto-smartphone of that era).
I was in high school at the time, and even towards the end of 2009, I still saw lots of students with phones like the LG Rumour (or similar sliding-type phone). I would say around my sophomore year (2010-11) was when I saw more students acquire iPhones and Android phones.
But then again that's mostly among teenagers, I'm sure they were more common among business people.

Written By: 2001 on 01/25/18 at 12:53 pm

Seriously? I lived in a fairly wealthy area around that time and even there it wasn't super common for people to have iPhones, I mostly saw Blackberries or the Helio Ocean (a forgotten proto-smartphone of that era).
I was in high school at the time, and even towards the end of 2009, I still saw lots of students with phones like the LG Rumour (or similar sliding-type phone). I would say around my sophomore year (2010-11) was when I saw more students acquire iPhones and Android phones.
But then again that's mostly among teenagers, I'm sure they were more common among business people.

I only knew three kids with an iPhone in 2008-09 school year. They were really wealthy too.

Written By: John Titor on 01/25/18 at 1:06 pm

even in 2006 blackberrys started getting big , I remember that HElio white slide phone in late 2006, it was not that impressive tbh lol

Written By: 80sfan on 01/25/18 at 1:13 pm

Ja Rule and Ashanti.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/25/18 at 1:17 pm

Seriously? I lived in a fairly wealthy area around that time, and even there it wasn't super common for people to have iPhones, I mostly saw Blackberries or the Helio Ocean (a forgotten proto-smartphone of that era).
Agreed! Even most adults didn't have an iPhone at that time either. It was more common for them to have a regular cell phone than any of the early smartphones during that period. Oh, and props to you for remembering the Helio phone. I remember that one very well, and I never see anyone mentioned that device at all.

Ja Rule and Ashanti.
I bet most people remember Ja Rule, but I agree with Ashanti. I never see folks talk about her music at all. She had a lot of good songs in the 00s, and they are classic now.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/25/18 at 1:33 pm

I feel like spikey hair was popular throughout the decade. By spikey, I mean getting hair gel and making your hair point upwards, and it's very shiny. There were various styles of it, in the beginning, it was frosted tips, and towards the end of the decade it was hair pointing upwards with the sides shorter or facing down, but it was still all a play on the same style.

It's the most defining hairstyle of the 2000s IMO, not the emo shag. There are still loads of kids spiking their hair in my 2009-10 graduating yearbook.
This! I recall seeing people with that hairstyle all the way until sometime in 2010. Spiky hair was not just an early 00s thing.

Where I am (UK), more networks had unlimited data. Notably O2, when they have now ditched it. In my opinion, I believe that T9 is the superior method to type in - I guess they never used that and just used QWERTY instead.

I guess the first phone I used was probably quite expensive or otherwise novel for the time - I used feature phones and never used something like a Nokia 3310. Granted, I have seen people with phones as basic as that.
Did unlimited data become available quickly there compared to here?

I remember some services had pushed to talk and it acted like a walkie-talkie feature. Phone menus were also hard to navigate and doing anything with them took effort.
What services were they? I think I might remember what you're discussing. Oh, and I agree! It took some skills to make those phones useful.

I know! They are. Here are a few commercials from that time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuu3jdmXQ4Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FuocIJ9aFU

Written By: wixness on 01/25/18 at 6:03 pm

Did unlimited data become available quickly there compared to here?

Not that I know of, but we offered it.

Written By: XYkid on 01/25/18 at 9:48 pm

Agreed! Even most adults didn't have an iPhone at that time either. It was more common for them to have a regular cell phone than any of the early smartphones during that period. Oh, and props to you for remembering the Helio phone. I remember that one very well, and I never see anyone mentioned that device at all.
I bet most people remember Ja Rule, but I agree with Ashanti. I never see folks talk about her music at all. She had a lot of good songs in the 00s, and they are classic now.
Ashanti is a very underrated singer of the 00s, she had such a beautiful voice and her music was cute and fun.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/25/18 at 9:49 pm

I feel like spikey hair was popular throughout the decade. By spikey I mean getting hair gel and making your hair point upwards, and it's very shiny. There were various different styles of it, in the beginning it was frosted tips and towards the end of the decade it was hair pointing upwards with the sides shorter or facing down, but it was still all a play on the same style.

This is the style.  It was popular all decade.  The emo shag was primarily the second half of the decade.  In 2007 and 2008 I would say it was the most defining hairstyle but it wasn't the most defining style of the decade as a whole.

http://elipsosalon.website/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/front-spiky-hairstyle-suitable-for-simplicity-475x665.jpg

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/27/18 at 11:43 am

Ashanti is a very underrated singer of the 00s, she had such a beautiful voice and her music was cute and fun.

There's no accounting for taste, if we're going to be honest. I love songs that featured her, like Always on Time (coincidentally, another Ja Rule song, I still actively listen to it), but I was never a *huge* fan of her own material.

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/27/18 at 12:05 pm

She really is underrated as an artist. She has never been known as a good singer but she is definitely talented. People don't give her enough credit because she's not popular anymore. However, if I remember correctly she had a historical debut r&b album, wrote her own music, and wrote music for others. People should give her props, she was "the" r&b girl before Beyonce came along but so many act like they don't remember that lol. I can play her first album all the way through without skipping. She was also one of the very first female singers I had ever made a connection with and who made a mark on my life growing up.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 01/28/18 at 8:02 am

Blackberries were more common than iPhones in 2008/09 in my area, but iPhones were probably around the 3rd most common type here.

It was more so adults who had them from what I remember, but they were pretty common, for elementary school, only a couple of kids had iPhones or iPod Touches, but most people had still used them before through their parents or someone else.

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/28/18 at 8:50 am

She really is underrated as an artist. She has never been known as a good singer but she is definitely talented. People don't give her enough credit because she's not popular anymore. However, if I remember correctly she had a historical debut r&b album, wrote her own music, and wrote music for others. People should give her props, she was "the" r&b girl before Beyonce came along but so many act like they don't remember that lol. I can play her first album all the way through without skipping. She was also one of the very first female singers I had ever made a connection with and who made a mark on my life growing up.

No lie, Ashanti was great at selecting beats. Haha I wouldn't say she's ultimately underrated. Ashanti is generally associated with Ja Rule. She wouldn't be difficult to bring up in the same discussion. I would even go as far as saying, you can't have a Ja Rule hit without Ashanti.

Always On Time
Mesmerize
Down 4 U
Wonderful

Written By: 80sfan on 01/28/18 at 9:10 am

Ashanti had the whole package, looks and a voice. But lacked promotion and management skills.

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/28/18 at 10:29 am

No lie, Ashanti was great at selecting beats. Haha I wouldn't say she's ultimately underrated. Ashanti is generally associated with Ja Rule. She wouldn't be difficult to bring up in the same discussion. I would even go as far as saying, you can't have a Ja Rule hit without Ashanti.

Always On Time
Mesmerize
Down 4 U
Wonderful

Whoa now. What about Livin It Up with Case?

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/28/18 at 11:20 am

Whoa now. What about Livin It Up with Case?

Livin' It Up isn't as memorable as Always On Time, Down 4 U, Mesmerize and Wonderful. The only other exceptionally memorable hit is Between Me & You. Livin' It Up, Down Azz Chick, Thug Lovin' and New York are kind of forgettable. Oh Oh is basically unofficial. 

When you think about it, Ashanti has just as memorable hits as Ja Rule, Happy, Foolish, Rain On Me, Baby, Only You.

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 01/28/18 at 4:17 pm

What ppl forget is that a lot of today's music is actually created by ppl in their mid 20s-40s!

So what the "kids" listen to today could actually even be produced by gen X'ers!

I'm an early millenial born in Nov 89, I guess I am old now!

But I don't feel old.

It's crazy that there are adults who were born in the year 2000!

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/28/18 at 6:08 pm

What ppl forget is that a lot of today's music is actually created by ppl in their mid 20s-40s!

So what the "kids" listen to today could actually even be produced by gen X'ers
!

I'm an early millenial born in Nov 89, I guess I am old now!

But I don't feel old.

It's crazy that there are adults who were born in the year 2000!

This is sort of what I was attempting to explain in a thread I made yesterday. A lot of music is made by older millennials (like you said mid 20s and up). So does the music of today belong to Generation Y or Z? Someone said both and I pretty much agree with that answer.

Also you're not old by any means  ;). If you're old then Taylor Swift is old (she's not lol). Also it really is hard to believe that somone born in 2000 and 1999 are adults or will become adult this year.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/28/18 at 6:59 pm

This is sort of what I was attempting to explain in a thread I made yesterday. A lot of music is made by older millennials (like you said mid 20s and up). So does the music of today belong to Generation Y or Z? Someone said both and I pretty much agree with that answer.

Also you're not old by any means  ;). If you're old then Taylor Swift is old (she's not lol). Also it really is hard to believe that somone born in 2000 and 1999 are adults or will become adult this year.

I think even a lot of the music of the 2020s will belong to Millennials. Just like a lot of the 1940s music belonged to the GI Generation

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/28/18 at 7:08 pm

I think even a lot of the music of the 2020s will belong to Millennials. Just like a lot of the 1940s music belonged to the GI Generation

Well sure, I'd say the 1940s and early 1950s are peak Greatest Generation culture.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/29/18 at 7:57 pm

MapQuest
MySpace (Facebook made most people forget about it)
Yahoo other than email
AIM
Emo culture
Lots of short lived TV shows, especially on Fox
HD-DVD
George W. Bush (Trump made most people forget about him)

Written By: bchris02 on 01/29/18 at 9:00 pm

The 2020s for Millennials will be what the '90s were for the baby boomers.  It will be our decade of fading relevance when it comes to pop culture.  Peak baby boomer culture was in the late '60s and '70s but even the '80s, while primarily a GenX decade, still had a lot for the boomers.  In the '90s, everything changed.  It wouldn't surprise me if the 2020s are an especially changeful decade for music as the '90s were.  1999 was a long ways from 1990 musically, much farther than 2009 was from 2000 or today is from 2010.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 01/30/18 at 4:24 am

It wouldn't surprise me if the 2020s are an especially changeful decade for music as the '90s were.  1999 was a long ways from 1990 musically, much farther than 2009 was from 2000 or today is from 2010.

As much as I would love for that to happen, I really have my doubts, to be honest. If anything, music is becoming more homogeneous over time. You only need to look at the Top-40 hits of the Mid 2010s. Every song has the same chord progression, the same trap beat/tune and auto-tuned vocals. Mfox summed it up perfectly in this thread.

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/30/18 at 9:24 am

The 2020s for Millennials will be what the '90s were for the baby boomers.  It will be our decade of fading relevance when it comes to pop culture.  Peak baby boomer culture was in the late '60s and '70s but even the '80s, while primarily a GenX decade, still had a lot for the boomers.  In the '90s, everything changed.  It wouldn't surprise me if the 2020s are an especially changeful decade for music as the '90s were.  1999 was a long ways from 1990 musically, much farther than 2009 was from 2000 or today is from 2010.

Yes, but hopefully that's traded for political relevance, same as how Boomers essentially fully replaced the Greatest Generation by 1995.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/30/18 at 10:30 am

As much as I would love for that to happen, I really have my doubts, to be honest. If anything, music is becoming more homogeneous over time. You only need to look at the Top-40 hits of the Mid 2010s. Every song has the same chord progression, the same trap beat/tune and auto-tuned vocals. Mfox summed it up perfectly in this thread.

The '80s were pretty homogeneous musically and then Grunge happened. After that, things became a lot more diverse and interesting in the '90s.

Yes, but hopefully that's traded for political relevance, same as how Boomers essentially fully replaced the Greatest Generation by 1995.

I agree.  It really is mindnumbing that it's 2018, Millennials are the largest generation, yet baby boomers still control everything and Millennials have no voice.  We are still in the boomer era, like it or not.

Written By: 2001 on 01/31/18 at 7:47 pm

You gotta feel sorry for Gen X. ;D

In Canada, where youth turnout is rather healthy, most pundits are predicting that Millennial voters will eclipse Boomer voters in 2019. It will be interesting to see how that goes, 2015 already felt very youth-focused.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/01/18 at 5:36 am

The way things are going, I may just be moving to Canada in the next year or two.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/10/18 at 7:45 pm

You know, when speaking of the 2000s, I rarely hear people mention the dances that were popular throughout the decade. I'll hear people talk about 90s dance craze (i.e. bankhead bounce, tootsie roll, the dip etc.) but they don't speak about the heel toe, the chicken head, the (original) harlem shake, the patty cake, lean wit it rock wit it, etc. These dances were apart of  my childhood!

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/10/18 at 8:20 pm

You know, when speaking of the 2000s, I rarely hear people mention the dances that were popular throughout the decade. I'll hear people talk about 90s dance craze (i.e. bankhead bounce, tootsie roll, the dip etc.) but they don't speak about the heel toe, the chicken head, the (original) harlem shake, the patty cake, lean wit it rock wit it, etc. These dances were apart of  my childhood!

I'll be honest with you, the only one out of that entire list that I even knew was the tootsie roll.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/10/18 at 8:28 pm

I'll be honest with you, the only one out of that entire list that I even knew was the tootsie roll.

Lol. Those dances came out of urban/hip hop culture. So if you weren't into hip hop culture that much maybe you wouldn't know it. But surely you remember the Soulja Boy even though that dance and song is cringy as hell now.  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 02/10/18 at 8:38 pm

The way things are going, I may just be moving to Canada in the next year or two.

Are you just saying that or...?

Lol. Those dances came out of urban/hip hop culture. So if you weren't into hip hop culture that much maybe you wouldn't know it. But surely you remember the Soulja Boy even though that dance and song is cringy as hell now.  ;D

The only one I know how to do is the Macarena, and the Ketchup Song.

My dance moves are all 2010s. I've got the moves like Jagger ;D

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/10/18 at 8:42 pm

The only one I know how to do is the Macarena, and the Ketchup Song.

My dance moves are all 2010s. I've got the moves like Jagger ;D

I don't think I've ever heard the Ketchup Song until a couple years ago, so I didn't even know it had a dance to it. 2010s dances are cool too. ;D

Written By: 2001 on 02/10/18 at 9:11 pm

I don't think I've ever heard the Ketchup Song until a couple years ago, so I didn't even know it had a dance to it. 2010s dances are cool too. ;D

Haha, makes sense. Ketchup Song is one of those songs that hit #1 in practically every country but barely made a splash in the US for some reason. :P

AMT698ArSfQ

It's the dance in the chorus.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 02/10/18 at 9:16 pm

Haha, makes sense. Ketchup Song is one of those songs that hit #1 in practically every country but barely made a splash in the US for some reason. :P

AMT698ArSfQ

There's a lot of songs like that though. :P

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/10/18 at 9:37 pm

Being allowed to legally smoke indoors in public places.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/11/18 at 5:49 am

Oh of course I remember to Superman that ho

Depends on how the November elections go here.

Written By: Howard on 02/11/18 at 6:53 am

AMT698ArSfQ

The video is quite sexy but I just didn't understand the dance movements. And also why name a song when the song isn't about ketchup?

Written By: overtherich on 02/11/18 at 7:21 am

The year was 2002. Everyone was wearing elephant pants. Floors were swept shiny clean.

Written By: John Titor on 02/11/18 at 11:43 am

The year was 2002. Everyone was wearing elephant pants. Floors were swept shiny clean.

Where u going to the same school I did lol

Written By: 2001 on 02/11/18 at 3:28 pm

There's a lot of songs like that though. :P

That's right.

Being allowed to legally smoke indoors in public places.

I almost forgot about that too. I felt like it happened a long time ago, but in reality you were still allowed to smoke indoors until 2006 over here. :o

The video is quite sexy but I just didn't understand the dance movements. And also why name a song when the song isn't about ketchup?

The song is called Ketchup Song because the group's name is "Las Ketchup". You're right though that the song has nothing to do with ketchup.

I found a dance version of the MV. Pay attention to the chorus, that's the famous dance.

UeVbEjDUE18

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/11/18 at 5:04 pm

Oh yeah, that song! Yeah, I was gonna say its actual name was Aserejé. I studied it in a college course once.

Written By: Howard on 02/12/18 at 5:25 am

That's right.

I almost forgot about that too. I felt like it happened a long time ago, but in reality you were still allowed to smoke indoors until 2006 over here. :o

The song is called Ketchup Song because the group's name is "Las Ketchup". You're right though that the song has nothing to do with ketchup.

I found a dance version of the MV. Pay attention to the chorus, that's the famous dance.

UeVbEjDUE18

So I guess you could say it's almost like The Macarena.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/12/18 at 6:45 pm

Bionicle.

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/12/18 at 6:46 pm

I think one aspect of the 2000's that most people forget is 2009. ;D

Written By: popguru85 on 02/13/18 at 12:43 am

There were a LOT of Makeover shows like Queer Eye for The Straight Guy, Trading Places, The Swan, Etc.
Redneck Culture was kinda big for a few years
Poker saw a huge comeback
The Atkins/South Beach/Low Carb diet crazes

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/13/18 at 1:04 am

Ashanti is a very underrated singer of the 00s, she had such a beautiful voice, and her music was cute and fun.

She is underrated as an artist. She was never known as a good singer in the mainstream, but she is talented. People don't give her enough credit because she's not popular anymore. If I remember correctly, she had a historical debut r&b album. She wrote her music and wrote music for others. People should give her props; she was "the" r&b girl before Beyonce came along but so many acts like they don't remember that lol. I can play her first album all the way through without skipping. She was also one of the very first female singers I had ever made a connection with and who made a mark in my life growing up.
I agree with both of you. Ashanti was underrated and I also enjoyed her music including the ones from 2008.

Ashanti had the whole package, looks, and a voice, But she lacked promotion and management skills.
This! She would have been on top had she had a great manager who promoted her well.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/13/18 at 1:34 am

MapQuest
MySpace (Facebook made most people forget about it)
Yahoo other than email
AIM
Emo culture
Lots of short-lived TV shows, especially on Fox
HD-DVD
George W. Bush (Trump made most people forget about him)
Yeah, it seems that only young people remember Myspace. And yes, most have forgotten that Yahoo was more than email. I remember  HD-DVDs. I agree with mapquest and as for Bush, I think most people would still remember him although Trump is president unless you're talking about his policies.

The 2020s for Millennials will be what the '90s were for the baby boomers.  It will be our decade of fading relevance when it comes to pop culture.  Peak baby boomer culture was in the late '60s and '70s but even the '80s, while primarily a GenX decade, still had a lot for the boomers.  In the '90s, everything changed.  It won't surprise me if the 2020s are an especially changeful decade for music as the '90s were.  1999 was a long way from 1990 musically, much farther than 2009 was from 2000 or today is from 2010.
Yeah, I have a feeling that there will be music out there in the next decade targeted towards Millennials considering we will mainly be in our 30s and 40s by then. I say this will be a good chance for adult contemporary to make a comeback in the mainstream.

As much as I would love for that to happen, I have my doubts, to be honest. If anything, music is becoming more homogeneous over time. You only need to look at the Top-40 hits of the Mid 2010s. Every song has the same chord progression, the same trap beat/tune, and auto-tuned vocals. Mfox summed it up perfectly in this thread.
That could change in the future. I hope music DOES become more diverse like before. This whole homogeneous trend is getting out of hand.

You know, when speaking of the 2000s, I rarely hear people mention the dances that were popular throughout the decade. I'll hear people talk about 90s dance craze (i.e., Bankhead bounce, tootsie roll, the dip, etc.) but they don't speak about the heel toe, the chicken head, the (original) Harlem shake, the patty cake, lean wit it rock wit it, etc. These dances were apart of my childhood!
This! I never hear people talk about any of the dance crazes from that decade. I remember the cha-cha slide, cupid shuffle, Superman, the stanky leg, the jerk, the dip, tootsie roll, etc. I have a feeling from your writing that you are a black girl. Is that correct?

There were a LOT of Makeover shows like Queer Eye for The Straight Guy, Trading Places, The Swan, Etc.
Redneck Culture was quite big for a few years
The Atkins/South Beach/Low Carb diet crazes
I recall a few them, but I didn't watch them often.

What are examples of 00s redneck culture? I might recall that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, and does anyone remember Fear factor and those dating reality shows such as 5th Wheel, Elimidate, and Blind date? I watched those all the time they came on.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/13/18 at 12:48 pm

Ah yes, the Texas Hold' Em craze. Back around 2003-04, for some reason The World Series of Poker on ESPN became hugely popular, and suddenly bars all around town were hosting Texas Hold' Em tournaments, which in turn led to people hosting poker games in their own homes.

Although I was never all that good of a poker player, I still loved it. I was renting a house with 2 of my brothers at the time and we started hosting poker parties of our own. And it was one of the most fun periods of my life. Poker was a great way to meet people whom I otherwise never would have met, and I still have friends to this day that I met at those games.

As a matter-of-fact, my younger brother met his future wife at these poker games. (They've been happily married for over 10 years now.)

Texas Hold' Em Poker games are a lot of fun and a fantastic way to make new friends. I really hope that younger people rediscover it and start hosting their own home games again, because it really is a great way to bring people together.  :)

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/13/18 at 5:37 pm

This! I never hear people talk about any of the dance crazes from that decade. I remember the cha-cha slide, cupid shuffle, Superman, the stanky leg, the jerk, the dip, tootsie roll, etc. I have a feeling from your writing that you are a girl. Is that correct?

Yes, that's correct.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/13/18 at 5:47 pm

Yes, that's correct.
Are you also African-American? I have a feeling you are because a majority of folks don't seem to remember most of the dance crazes of the 00s.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/13/18 at 6:42 pm

Are you also African-American? I have a feeling you are because a majority of folks don't seem to remember most of the dance crazes of the 00s.

Yes, I am. I forgot about the Cupid Shuffle! That's one of my favorite dances. There was also swag surfin, the pool palace, walk it out, 2 step, the c-walk, the rock your hips dance (crime mob), pop lock and drop it, at bay bay (hurricane chris), A-town stomp, the bunny hop, 1,2 step (Ciara) and just too many damn dances lol.

There was also the dance from Young Joc' s song "It's Going Down." Did you watch 106 n Park when Tom Cruise did the dance?

6h86c7hD4PY
It's one of my favorite moments of all time

Written By: SpyroKev on 02/13/18 at 10:05 pm

I agree with both of you. Ashanti was underrated and I also enjoyed her music including the ones from 2008.
This! She would have been on top had she had a great manager who promoted her well.

Ashanti wasn't really underrated. She was popular. Just, her fall was more powerful. I'm starting to miss her voice suddenly. Haha Beyoncé I realize is too dramatic.

Written By: popguru85 on 02/13/18 at 10:50 pm

Yeah, it seems that only young people remember Myspace. And yes, most have forgotten that Yahoo was more than email. I remember  HD-DVDs. I agree with mapquest and as for Bush, I think most people would still remember him although Trump is president unless you're talking about his policies.
Yeah, I have a feeling that there will be music out there in the next decade targeted towards Millennials considering we will mainly be in our 30s and 40s by then. I say this will be a good chance for adult contemporary to make a comeback in the mainstream.
That could change in the future. I hope music DOES become more diverse like before. This whole homogeneous trend is getting out of hand.
This! I never hear people talk about any of the dance crazes from that decade. I remember the cha-cha slide, cupid shuffle, Superman, the stanky leg, the jerk, the dip, tootsie roll, etc. I have a feeling from your writing that you are a black girl. Is that correct?
I recall a few them, but I didn't watch them often.

What are examples of 00s redneck culture? I might recall that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, and does anyone remember Fear factor and those dating reality shows such as 5th Wheel, Elimidate, and Blind date? I watched those all the time they came on.

I remember Fear Factor and various syndicated dating shows late at night. To answer your question you had the Blue Collar Comedy Tour very popular, Gretchen Wison/Big & Rich/Brad Paisley were played a lot on top 40, The Trucker Hat was worn by a lot of celebs, Git R Dun became a catchphrase

Written By: AndrewShannon on 02/14/18 at 4:29 pm

Razr scooters were pretty rad, and New Wave of Thrash Metal mostly comes from that decade, though it seeped a bit into the early 10s, and post-grunge and alternative metal was big along with melodeath and metalcore. In my area though, Nu-Metal never actually died, so it was around then and still is. Also the British TV invasion in the last few years and a bit into this decade, but I mostly associate it with the 2000s because that's when I actually watched TV. And yeah, spiked hair was around; the cool kids in my elementary all wore either a Bieber cut or spiked hair and dressed like 50s Elvis. I had a bowlcut-mullet hybrid thingy in my yearbooks.

On Youtube there was lots of tributes, where you'd take a slideshow of pictures of a dinosaur, character, etc. and set it to music, with Movie Maker title cards. And I know that campy horror and exploitation films were pretty huge then; now I think everything's all artsy instead. Anime was REALLY big in the 2000s, I know it's big now but it was both big and cool (not trendy, but cool) then.

Also malls. /ewe\ Nobody remembers those.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/14/18 at 4:35 pm

Oh God yes. Everyone today talking about how mainstream and underground music have blended don’t realize how ubiquitous nu-metal continued to be in many parts of America, especially the Midwest, well into the decade. People complained about later Linkin Park sounding too “Emo” (whatever that means) because they were still chugging Static-X and Disturbed as late as 2008.

Written By: AndrewShannon on 02/14/18 at 5:04 pm

Oh God yes. Everyone today talking about how mainstream and underground music have blended don’t realize how ubiquitous nu-metal continued to be in many parts of America, especially the Midwest, well into the decade. People complained about later Linkin Park sounding too “Emo” (whatever that means) because they were still chugging Static-X and Disturbed as late as 2008.

Even if my mom hadn't shoved Korn, Disturbed and all that in my face I still 100% would've found Nu-Metal because it was everywhere when I was a kid, both as a joke and seriously. Slipknot was still beloved by a lot of "cool bros" even just last year when I was still in HS, just like back in 4th grade. <qwq>

I live in Arlington, Texas; the same city where Pantera's from. One of my HS teachers even taught Dimebag Darrell. And since Nu-Metal has a lot in common with Groove Metal, it's not surprising that they'd still be around here.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/14/18 at 5:37 pm

Holy hell, Dimebag!? Michigan here, best I can claim is Wayne Static lived a few hours from where i grew up.

Check for new replies or respond here...