inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mario Party 4 was trash

Written By: 2001 on 01/27/18 at 7:38 pm

And so was Mario Party 8.

I just had a huge argument with my friend about this. I don't think he remembers the game properly. I remember on the roll of a die you could turn tiny or large, or you would get poisoned by a mushroom or grow large by one, and there were a lot of other stupid game mechanics. The game was not fun compared to previous installments. But we both agreed MP8 was unplayable.

If I had to rate them it would be

Mario Party 1 - 7/10 (good first attempt, but was made obsolete very quickly)
Mario Party 2 - 10/10 (the best, perfect, still play it)
Mario Party 3 - 9.9/10 (the second best, I though the maps and games on 2 were more fun but 3 was close to perfect)
Mario Party 4 - 4/10
Mario Party 5 - 8/10 (capsules were a cool concept)
Mario Party 6 - 7/10 (I think the mic gimmick was a flop, but was fun otherwise)
Mario Party 7 - 9/10 (I loved the car mechanic)
Mario Party 8 - 2/10 (terrible use of motion controls and a lot of other BS)
Mario Party DS - 7/10 (this was lacking in many ways but managed to be fun)
Matio Party Island Tour - 2/10 (wtf)

What do you guys think?

Subject: Re: Mario Party 4 was trash

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/27/18 at 9:40 pm

I actually played Mario Party 4 and, I really used to compare it to Mario Party 3, a game I got immense in. Mario Party 4 had absence written all over it.

Subject: Mario Party 4 was trash

Written By: Dude111 on 01/28/18 at 6:22 am

What do you guys think?

I think the first one SUPER MARIO BROTHERS (1985) is the only good one in the series!!

Written By: 2001 on 01/28/18 at 11:06 am

I actually played Mario Party 4 and, I really used to compare it to Mario Party 3, a game I got immense in. Mario Party 4 had absence written all over it.

Finally, someone who agrees! I was just looking at the user scores for all the games and it baffles me that Mario Party 4 is looked back on so fondly.

I think the first one SUPER MARIO BROTHERS (1985) is the only good one in the series!!

That's a different series. That one's a 2D platformer, Mario Party is a party board game.

Have you played the sequels though? I thought Super Mario Bros. 3 (1988) was better than the first.

Written By: TwilightPrince16 on 01/28/18 at 11:32 am

I thought Mario Party 4 was pretty good actually. I haven't played the ones on N64 though. I've played 4, 5, 6, 7, DS, 8, Island Tour, and 10. Yes, I have Mario Party 10, I played with the family during Christmas break 2016, good times!

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/28/18 at 2:10 pm

I honestly don't remember much from Mario Party 4....

My favorites were Mario Party 2 (aka, the game that ruined friendships) & Mario Party 3 on the N64, and Mario Party 5 on Gamecube.

Written By: Mat1991 on 01/28/18 at 9:35 pm

I only have experience with the first three, because I never got any game consoles after my N64, but Mario Party 2 is my favorite, mainly for nostalgic reasons because that's the one I would play with my friends most often. Also, the boards were really fun.  ::)

Written By: XYkid on 01/29/18 at 4:32 pm

My favourites in order

I haven't played enough of any of the others to rank them here.

I really liked MP4 a lot, and the items were really cool. I did not like capsules at first, but regardless of that, the 5th installment felt very lacking to me.
3 was my favourite, one of the reasons being that it had a lot of great mini games. I may also be biased because I had a lot of great memories playing it with my cousins.

Written By: John Titor on 02/01/18 at 11:09 am

Was never a fan of this video game

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/13/18 at 12:39 am

What do you mean? Mario Party 4 was one of the best. I agree that MP8 was the worst though. I tried playing it back when the Wii was hot, and I was terrible at the controls. It was embarrassing.

Check for new replies or respond here...