inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best album of the 2000s?

Written By: doublejm1 on 02/05/18 at 3:36 pm

What's your pick for best album of the 2000s?

Mine is FutureSex/LoveSounds by Justin Timberlake.

When I first heard songs like SexyBack, My Love, What Goes Around Comes Around, LoveStoned, and Summer Love, I felt as though I had stepped into the future.

Not only were the songs catchy as hell, but they sounded well ahead of their time. I don't think he'll ever be able to put out an album that good again. The 20/20 Experience and now Man of the Woods just don't compare.

It's probably one of my favorite albums of all time. Behind it would probably be Kanye's three "College" albums.

What is your favorite album of the 2000s?

Subject: Re: Best album of the 2000s?

Written By: bchris02 on 02/05/18 at 6:16 pm

Hands down the Marshall Mathers LP by Eminem.  That album set the tone for the entire decade.  Close behind it would be The Fame, by Lady Gaga.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/07/18 at 8:12 am

Ooooh, that’s a toughie. Of course I was a rock and metal head throughout that decade, and of those I would say The Open Door by Evanescence was the best. At a time when metal was beginning to sound like generic post-grunge a la Breaking Benjamin and Three Days Grace, Evanescence dared to be different.

There was a great deal of variety on that album, and a lot of risks taken that I admit I didn’t really appreciate at the time.

Written By: #Infinity on 02/07/18 at 8:48 am

Come and Get It by Rachel Stevens. A rare example of a cult classic of the pop genre. Few people bought it when it was first released in the UK, but many still cherish it as a tight, refined, colourful masterpiece that was way ahead of its time. It's one of those albums that I bought and then realized I was listening to over and over and over again, meaning it had to be doing something right. It got an iTunes release in the US two years after it first came out and has shown up on multiple retrospective articles.

In my opinion, it's an absolutely flawless record, with not one single beat missed. The only pop album I'd probably rank higher is Prince's Purple Rain, since he was actually creatively involved with the album's creation, whereas Rachel only co-wrote one song that made it onto her album, but she's still a vital part of its success. She knows just how to enunciate and sing her material to bring it fully to life.

Written By: whistledog on 02/07/18 at 4:40 pm

My favourite was the 2008 self-titled debut album by the Scottish group Glasvegas.  Two singles from the album:  Geraldine and Daddy's gone became Top 20 hits in the UK, but it's quite rare do I find an album where I enjoy the album tracks just as much (if not more) than the ones that were singles.  The first 7 songs could have all been singles, they were so good.  I wore this CD out listening to it so much, that I had to buy a second copy

Come and Get It by Rachel Stevens. A rare example of a cult classic of the pop genre. Few people bought it when it was first released in the UK, but many still cherish it as a tight, refined, colourful masterpiece that was way ahead of its time. It's one of those albums that I bought and then realized I was listening to over and over and over again, meaning it had to be doing something right. It got an iTunes release in the US two years after it first came out and has shown up on multiple retrospective articles.

In my opinion, it's an absolutely flawless record, with not one single beat missed. The only pop album I'd probably rank higher is Prince's Purple Rain, since he was actually creatively involved with the album's creation, whereas Rachel only co-wrote one song that made it onto her album, but she's still a vital part of its success. She knows just how to enunciate and sing her material to bring it fully to life.

I bought that CD when it was first released.  Outside of S Club 7, Rachel Stevens was not a success in the US or Canada, thus I could not find a copy of the CD in stores, so I had to have it imported. 

Written By: Dundee on 02/12/18 at 2:37 pm

Oh I have plenty of favs! Mine would be: Kid A by Radiohead, The College Dropout by Kanye West, Vespertine by Björk and Funeral by Arcade Fire

Check for new replies or respond here...