inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Late 2000s Cartoon Network

Written By: TwilightPrince16 on 02/14/18 at 8:02 pm

What are your thoughts on Cartoon Network in the years roughly around 2005-2009?

I'm talking about their live action shows, Chowder, The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack, Johnny Test, My Gym Partner's a Monkey, Waluigi Pinball, Ben 10 (original), Class of 3000, Out of Jimmy's Head, Squirrel Boy, etc.

To me, it felt like that weird micro-era between classic Cartoon Network and the New Cartoon Network we know today. Very awkward times, but don't get me wrong, their were some great shows at the time.

Subject: Re: Late 2000s Cartoon Network

Written By: Zelek3 on 02/15/18 at 10:05 am

It wasn't too long along ago, like around 2014, that I remember everyone saying Cartoon Network died in 2007 because of Out of Jimmy's Head, Fried Dynamite replacing Fridays, soccer ball TOM 4 on Fridays, Jim Samples resigning as president and Stuart Snyder taking over, etc. and that 2007-2009 was the "dark ages" of the channel.

Now though, the generation that grew up on late 2000s Cartoon Network is all over the Internet, not that that's a bad thing, I'm just observing the shift that took place.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 02/15/18 at 10:22 am

What are your thoughts on Cartoon Network in the years roughly around 2005-2009?

I'm talking about their live action shows, Chowder, The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack, Johnny Test, My Gym Partner's a Monkey, Waluigi Pinball, Ben 10 (original), Class of 3000, Out of Jimmy's Head, Squirrel Boy, etc.

To me, it felt like that weird micro-era between classic Cartoon Network and the New Cartoon Network we know today. Very awkward times, but don't get me wrong, their were some great shows at the time.

What's Waluigi Pinball?

Written By: 2001 on 02/15/18 at 12:58 pm

What's Waluigi Pinball?

I was wondering that too. They made another Mario-universe TV show? :o

Written By: mqg96 on 02/15/18 at 1:49 pm

What's Waluigi Pinball?

All I know is that was a course that originated from the legendary "Mario Kart DS". Which I was addicted to when I was a kid! 

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/15/18 at 3:47 pm

It was decent except for the Fall and the Live-action eras. I watched a lot of the shows from that time that seems to be forgotten now. I liked the City and those 2008-10 bumpers. It would have been much had there not been any non-cartoons on there in the first place.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/15/18 at 4:17 pm

I consider late '00s Cartoon Network to be from September 2007 to May 2010. I know that 2010 is not apart of the late '00s but CN was basically the same until May 2010.

This was the time period that my viewership of CN declined and I started to feel the channel shift to a different demographic. I still watched Cartoon Network and I consider Chowder, Flapjack, Total Drama Island, The Secret Saturdays, Batman: The Brave & The Bold, Ben 10: Alien Force, 6teen to be decent to good cartoons. However, for the most part I didn't find the same joy that I did when I watched CN during 2002-2007 (before September). A lot of my favorite cartoons came to an end from 2007-2010: Codename: Kids Next Door, Ben 10, Class of 3000, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, Camp Lazlo, Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy, etc.

Then, early 2010 came...Cartoon Network would changed their logo which they had used for almost 6 years and they started advertising this new show called "Adventure Time" with this kids in a funny looking costume (Finn costume) running around asking people "What time is it?" repeatedly. It was when I saw that ad that I realized that my time was up. Then, the nail in the coffin happened when they ended Chowder, Flapjack later on in 2010.

Here is the ad, it's still clear in my memory after 8 years now:
8CpYXv8_fRM

Written By: mqg96 on 02/15/18 at 10:29 pm

I consider late '00s Cartoon Network to be from September 2007 to May 2010. I know that 2010 is not apart of the late '00s but CN was basically the same until May 2010.

This was the time period that my viewership of CN declined and I started to feel the channel shift to a different demographic. I still watched Cartoon Network and I consider Chowder, Flapjack, Total Drama Island, The Secret Saturdays, Batman: The Brave & The Bold, Ben 10: Alien Force, 6teen to be decent to good cartoons. However, for the most part I didn't find the same joy that I did when I watched CN during 2002-2007 (before September). A lot of my favorite cartoons came to an end from 2007-2010: Codename: Kids Next Door, Ben 10, Class of 3000, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, Camp Lazlo, Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy, etc.

Then, early 2010 came...Cartoon Network would changed their logo which they had used for almost 6 years and they started advertising this new show called "Adventure Time" with this kids in a funny looking costume (Finn costume) running around asking people "What time is it?" repeatedly. It was when I saw that ad that I realized that my time was up. Then, the nail in the coffin happened when they ended Chowder, Flapjack later on in 2010.

8CpYXv8_fRM

Even though I don't like the Fall & Nood eras for reasons I've brought up a million times back, I will say that Total Drama Island was the GOAT show from that era IMO. Ben 10: Alien Force, Batman: Brave & The Bold (which I never gave a chance), and Star Wars: The Clone Wars were good too. A lot of people say the late 2000's recession caused this era to be extremely weak due to the lack of original shows (only 2 with Chowder & Flapjack), so many imported shows from other countries at the time that were mediocre, and the horrible CN Real attempt. Honestly that may be very be true. One thing I will give Stuart Snyder credit for despite his terrible mistakes, was the fact that he gave us a lot of TV-PG shows. Even before he revived CN with Adventure Time, Regular Show, Young Justice, and more, he also gave Total Drama Island, and despite that not being a CN original, that was the first major CN show rated PG that had high ratings. Overall, late 2000's CN would even stomp CN from 2015-present, and I can't believe I'm admitting this now, but the main CN channel has fallen apart the last few years it's really sad. Nothing to laugh about at all.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/15/18 at 10:59 pm

Even though I don't like the Fall & Nood eras for reasons I've brought up a million times back, I will say that Total Drama Island was the GOAT show from that era IMO. Ben 10: Alien Force, Batman: Brave & The Bold (which I never gave a chance), and Star Wars: The Clone Wars were good too. A lot of people say the late 2000's recession caused this era to be extremely weak due to the lack of original shows (only 2 with Chowder & Flapjack), so many imported shows from other countries at the time that were mediocre, and the horrible CN Real attempt. Honestly that may be very be true. One thing I will give Stuart Snyder credit for despite his terrible mistakes, was the fact that he gave us a lot of TV-PG shows. Even before he revived CN with Adventure Time, Regular Show, Young Justice, and more, he also gave Total Drama Island, and despite that not being a CN original, that was the first major CN show rated PG that had high ratings. Overall, late 2000's CN would even stomp CN from 2015-present, and I can't believe I'm admitting this now, but the main CN channel has fallen apart the last few years it's really sad. Nothing to laugh about at all.

Hindsight is 20/20. I would take the Noods Era 10 times out of 10 over what is on CN now. However, if the Noods Era came back would be find it to be good enough? :P

Written By: 2001 on 02/16/18 at 12:07 am

All I know is that was a course that originated from the legendary "Mario Kart DS". Which I was addicted to when I was a kid!

Ooo, I remember that stage. It made a re-appearance in Mario Kart 7. Not in Mario Kart 8 though unfortunately.  :-\\

Written By: mjstudios97 on 02/17/18 at 1:12 am

2005-2007 were still pretty good times for Cartoon Network, in my opinion. A lot of okay quality cartoon, definitely different from the early '00s style but can't be compared to the '10s style of cartoon either. From 2008 and onwards, Cartoon Network started going the other way and a lot of criticism points at Out of Jimmy's Head for the start of its shift. Man, when you bring up Total Drama Island. I do remember Total Drama Island being a hit among my classmates in middle school. Chowder was cool too. Got disconnected from Cartoon Network by that time, though. Middle school.

Written By: mjstudios97 on 02/17/18 at 1:17 am

Irrelevant but I just want to know. Did anyone get into Code Lyoko? That show was the real shizzle though! 8)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/17/18 at 1:40 am

Irrelevant but I just want to know. Did anyone get into Code Lyoko? That show was the real shizzle though! 8)

It was decent. I barely watched it but it had a catchy theme song.

Written By: AndrewShannon on 02/17/18 at 10:34 am

8CpYXv8_fRM

That's exactly how I felt. Late 00s was still good for CN, but it was dying. I went to the Internet more often at that time. Then Adventure Time and Regular Show coming on and Chowder and Flapjack ending killed the network for me. The last good cartoon I remember before I stopped watching TV altogether was Dan Vs. on the Hub, but that's it. About a year after the corpse of CN started to rot, I didn't even have anything to watch in the morning, not even was entertaining much; just play games like Skyrim or Saints Row 2 before going to school. Late 2000s Cartoon Network is...bittersweet to me.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/17/18 at 12:07 pm

That's exactly how I felt. Late 00s was still good for CN, but it was dying. I went to the Internet more often at that time. Then Adventure Time and Regular Show coming on and Chowder and Flapjack ending killed the network for me. The last good cartoon I remember before I stopped watching TV altogether was Dan Vs. on the Hub, but that's it. About a year after the corpse of CN started to rot, I didn't even have anything to watch in the morning, not even was entertaining much; just play games like Skyrim or Saints Row 2 before going to school. Late 2000s Cartoon Network is...bittersweet to me.

Yeah, bittersweet is a great word to describe late '00s CN.

Written By: Shemp97 on 02/17/18 at 5:30 pm

Nickelodeon definitely took over CN in relevance in the late 00s.
CN was airing live action shows nobody cared about, while Nick made the smart decision early in the decade to split their sitcom and Nicktoon channels.

Shows like Drake n Josh, Ned's Declassified, and iCarly ran the main network. While Avatar: The Last Air Bender, Danny Phantom, Mlaatr, Catscratch, El Tigre, Making Fiends and Kappa Mikey dominated Nicktoons Network to the decade's end. Unfortunately once Fanboy and Chumchum aired, it was all over for that channel.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/17/18 at 11:33 pm

Nickelodeon definitely took over CN in relevance in the late 00s.
CN was airing live action shows nobody cared about, while Nick made the smart decision early in the decade to split their sitcom and Nicktoon channels.

Shows like Drake n Josh, Ned's Declassified, and iCarly ran the main network. While Avatar: The Last Air Bender, Danny Phantom, Mlaatr, Catscratch, El Tigre, Making Fiends and Kappa Mikey dominated Nicktoons Network to the decade's end. Unfortunately once Fanboy and Chumchum aired, it was all over for that channel.

This is so true which I've brought up many times in the past about Cartoon Network, but honestly not about the Nickelodeon part. 2007 and 2008 was the last good stretch for Nickelodeon while Cartoon Network was suffering at the time. Fanboy & ChumChum premiered in 2009 after the logo change. Nickelodeon was over for me after Avatar: the Last Airbender ended a decade ago which was a year before Fanboy & ChumChum premiered. Late 00's Nickelodeon was better than late 00's CN, but early 10's CN was better than early 10's Nickelodeon.

Check for new replies or respond here...