inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did people hate the 2000s?

Written By: Wobo on 02/25/18 at 2:39 pm

Did people hate the 2000s and hated the pop culture and shows that was in that decade and favored the 90s better?

Just like how people hate the 2010s?

Subject: Re: Did people hate the 2000s?

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/25/18 at 2:41 pm

Yes.

Written By: 2001 on 02/25/18 at 2:54 pm

Yep. In the early-mid 2000s,  '80s nostalgia was all the rage and a lot of people hated the '90s too. Towards the end, people warmed up to the '90s, but the 2000s were hated by plenty throughout.

It's the magical power of rose coloured glasses. :P

Written By: Wobo on 02/25/18 at 2:56 pm

Yep. In the early-mid 2000s,  '80s nostalgia was all the rage and a lot of people hated the '90s too. Towards the end, people warmed up to the '90s, but the 2000s were hated by plenty throughout.

It's the magic of rose coloured glasses. :P

I thought the 90s were decently loved because I looked at video tribute's to the 90s on youtube that were made between 2007-2009

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/25/18 at 3:02 pm

I remember when the 2000’s were called the decade from hell. Now a lot of people hate the current times and are nostalgic for the 2000’s. ;D

Written By: Wobo on 02/25/18 at 3:03 pm

I remember when the 2000’s were called the decade from hell. Now a lot of people hate the current times and are nostalgic for the 2000’s. ;D

Lol yep they always come back.

Written By: Wobo on 02/25/18 at 3:08 pm

https://preview.ibb.co/dx0CDH/sketch_1519592763298.png
;D I was looking through 80s tribute videos from 2008-2009 and i found this comment from 6 years ago lol.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/25/18 at 11:50 pm

Yes they hated the 2000s a lot. Doesn't even feel that long ago which is weird now a lot of people love that decade. Even on this forum the majority of posts about the 2000s were very negative in like 2011.

Written By: Dundee on 02/26/18 at 2:58 am

Tbh I've seen a lot of board posts from the late 90s and early 2000s saying how much the 80s were lame, then nostalgia hit and its a whole other story now ;D

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 02/26/18 at 11:57 am

The decade was called “The Decade From HELL” for a reason ;D. But I mean could you really blame people?

The decade was dominated by two economic recessions in between a vain vacuous period of obtuse capitalism (think the tv shows Pimp My Ride or Laguna Beach, straddled in between The Sopranos at the start and Breaking Bad at the end). The worst terror attack in U.S History that prompted the launch of two unpopular wars (that we’re still involved in today). Also you cannot forget about the cringey fashion trends that I’d argue matched the 80s in obscene tackiness, and (at least mainly in the second half of the decade) trash music.

I understand you’re a little young, so your comprehension of the 2000s while they were going on, I’m guessing, we’re a bit limited. I’ll tell you that (and many others on the forum could vouch for me on this) by the late 2000s, especially by 2008, I vividly remember there being a sense of malaise and fatigue of the first decade of the 21st century. The election of Barack Obama at the end of that tumultuous year symbolically felt like the end of an era and a time to finally rebuild from that utter mess. However, with Donny boy in office now, it seems we have not sufficiently learned from our relatively recent mistakes...

Written By: 80sfan on 02/26/18 at 4:42 pm

^ ^

If I remember correctly, it was Time magazine that dubbed it The Decade From Hell.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/26/18 at 4:43 pm

Yes, people did hate it. I was a lurker, and people were always posting 'music before 2000/2001 was waaay better.'

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/26/18 at 4:59 pm

People are almost never satisfied with the current times. I remember when people were complaining about the mainstream music back in like 2009. Now there’s people nostalgic for that year and hate the current times.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 02/26/18 at 5:02 pm

People are almost never satisfied with the current times. I remember when people were complaining about the mainstream music back in like 2009. Now there’s people nostalgic for that year and hate the current times.

True! There's no such thing as a perfect decade, era, year, you name it. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if people become nostalgic of 2016 in ten years ;D. Thats the power of nostalgia

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/26/18 at 5:05 pm

True! There's no such thing as a perfect decade, era, year, you name it. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if people become nostalgic of 2016 in ten years ;D. Thats the power of nostalgia

Nostalgia for 2016 will definitely happen at some point. I bet you people in 2030 are going to be talking about the good old days of 2016 and say that music was better back then, and that the current music sucks ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 02/26/18 at 5:18 pm

I still hate mainstream music from 2009.  :P I think age plays a big factor.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/26/18 at 5:20 pm

2016 wasn't a bad year though so there is no reason not to be nostalgic for it. Yeah Trump one but it still wasn't a bad year at all. Now 2012 on the other hand, that's one year I am surprised people are nostalgic of. Then again my personal life was terrible that year so that may be why I hate it so much.

Written By: 2001 on 02/26/18 at 5:22 pm

2016 wasn't a bad year though so there is no reason not to be nostalgic for it. Yeah Trump one but it still wasn't a bad year at all. Now 2012 on the other hand, that's one year I am surprised people are nostalgic of. Then again my personal life was terrible that year so that may be why I hate it so much.

Why are you surprised people are nostalgic for it? It had Gangnam Style, Dubstep and all sorts of other cheesy stuff. The year is nostalgia-bait "you HAD to be there" kind of year ;D

Written By: Dundee on 02/26/18 at 5:23 pm

2016 was total crap and cemented itself as the worst year this decade, and it pains me to say it cuz I had a good year back then

Written By: Slim95 on 02/26/18 at 5:26 pm

2016 was total crap and cemented itself as the worst year this decade, and it pains me to say it cuz I had a good year back then

How so? Just because a couple celebrities died? There was way more tension and violence in 2017 not to mention Trump wasn't president in 2016. 2016 was not a bad year at all.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/26/18 at 5:27 pm

Why are you surprised people are nostalgic for it? It had Gangnam Style, Dubstep and all sorts of other cheesy stuff. The year is nostalgia-bait "you HAD to be there" kind of year ;D

2012 was actually a boring year and filled with violence with the school shooting and in my opinion, most of the music sucked that year. Worst year of this decade imo.

Written By: 2001 on 02/26/18 at 5:30 pm

Yeah, I agree. I loved that year (except the end) but it was rough without a doubt. Usually people's hate for current times can be excessive, but in 2016 it felt justified. It was like every week there was a terrorist attack, then there was that entire election campaign that dragged on and on and on. Things felt like they were going to reach a breaking point :o

Written By: 2001 on 02/26/18 at 5:48 pm

How so? Just because a couple celebrities died? There was way more tension and violence in 2017 not to mention Trump wasn't president in 2016. 2016 was not a bad year at all.

I'm pretty sure 2016 had more deaths than 2017 due to terrorism. 50 died in Orlando and 80 died in Nice and 40 died in Brussels. I think the biggest in 2017 was the Manchester one with 25.

And while 2017 did have Président Trump, that doesn't necessarily mean it was as hectic as 2016. You could say that in 2016 we all hated each other, but in 2017 we all agreed to hate on Trump. Less arguments ;D

Written By: Dundee on 02/26/18 at 6:01 pm

Well all the bewildering elections aside, it was just a constant sheeshstorm of bad news, between the multiple massive attacks, the treatening Zika outbreak, the police shootings reinforcing tensions between communities, the biggest sudden rise of global temperatures, news were just difficult to sit trough.

Also 2017 was ruined by Trump exactly because of 2016's bullsheesh, and any year after it as well.
I remember by goddamn June everybody was already freaking sick of the year and by december the hashtag #fuc.k2016 was simply everywhere on the internet to tell you how bad it was. There was such a dark atmosphere going on, and the death of Carrie Fisher and her mother in the very last week in good 2016 fashion didn't help.

I mean no other year can claim to have become a meme on itself  ;D
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/fudge-2016 (oh c'mon this censoring is just annoying)

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/26/18 at 6:08 pm

2016 was definitely an unforgettable year in the 2010's, and not in a good way. It also doesn't help that it was the worst year for me personally.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/26/18 at 6:16 pm

I'm pretty sure 2016 had more deaths than 2017 due to terrorism. 50 died in Orlando and 80 died in Nice and 40 died in Brussels. I think the biggest in 2017 was the Manchester one with 25.

And while 2017 did have Président Trump, that doesn't necessarily mean it was as hectic as 2016. You could say that in 2016 we all hated each other, but in 2017 we all agreed to hate on Trump. Less arguments ;D

I thought 2017 had more terror attacks. 2017 did have a lot more protests and division in the U.S. than 2016 as well.

Well anyways maybe 2016 was bad for everyone else, but for me I did not personally feel it was a bad year.

Written By: Dundee on 02/26/18 at 6:16 pm

The only good thing about 2016 was probably the funny memes it created  ;D

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/001/198/660/9d4.jpg

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/209/024/428.gif

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/205/194/b3b.jpg

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/26/18 at 6:36 pm

No, not everyone is going to like pop culture and I'm not sure why people would expect everyone to like it in the first place. We're all different and have different tastes. Also, people who are nostalgic for music from 2009 were those who actually liked it when it was popular.  People who disliked it back then are more than likely going to dislike it even 10 years later.

Written By: Wobo on 02/27/18 at 1:23 am

Found a 90s nostalgia video from 2007
VJCQ-uKyQuE

Written By: Wobo on 02/27/18 at 1:26 am

The decade was called “The Decade From HELL” for a reason ;D. But I mean could you really blame people?

The decade was dominated by two economic recessions in between a vain vacuous period of obtuse capitalism (think the tv shows Pimp My Ride or Laguna Beach, straddled in between The Sopranos at the start and Breaking Bad at the end). The worst terror attack in U.S History that prompted the launch of two unpopular wars (that we’re still involved in today). Also you cannot forget about the cringey fashion trends that I’d argue matched the 80s in obscene tackiness, and (at least mainly in the second half of the decade) trash music.

I understand you’re a little young, so your comprehension of the 2000s while they were going on, I’m guessing, we’re a bit limited. I’ll tell you that (and many others on the forum could vouch for me on this) by the late 2000s, especially by 2008, I vividly remember there being a sense of malaise and fatigue of the first decade of the 21st century. The election of Barack Obama at the end of that tumultuous year symbolically felt like the end of an era and a time to finally rebuild from that utter mess. However, with Donny boy in office now, it seems we have not sufficiently learned from our relatively recent mistakes...

I was 0-5 in the 2000s (2004-2009) so i didn't give a crap about how the 2000s were bad I didn't know anything about the 2000s or what then 2000s were so.

Written By: Wobo on 02/27/18 at 1:27 am

2012>2016

Written By: Wobo on 02/27/18 at 1:29 am

The only good thing about 2016 was probably the funny memes it created  ;D

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/001/198/660/9d4.jpg

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/209/024/428.gif

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/205/194/b3b.jpg

2018 should be pulling the electric chair for 2017.  :P

Written By: Brian06 on 03/28/18 at 2:34 am

I liked the '00s mostly while they were going but there was A LOT of haters. I mean I know it wasn't as good as previous decades, but I was young in my teens and early 20s and embraced it. I'm still kinda a stuck in 2002-2004 guy, "Complicated", "In Da Club", "Crazy In Love" and "Yeah!" were my days. That was my golden era basically. Some may not like that era but for me that was MY time. The later '00s I had a thing for too with "Disturbia" and "Poker Face". The '10s I maybe only liked the beginning after that it's just not the same.

Now as I get older the pop culture just matters less and less and the daily grind of life has taken over, but the memories of my teens and not having real worries are still there. Honestly a lot of stuff I did like isn't that great but it reminds me of those days when I was more carefree so it's still nostalgia. When I listen to "Don't Cha" I think of driving around in my first car and blasting that back in 2005, I mean it really wasn't great music but it makes me think back to when it was a big to be able to drive. "Disturbia" makes me think back to 2008 when it was a big deal to drink legally. Now everything just blends together because I'm a nearly 31 year old man that's been old enough to do absolutely everything for a while now, that's basically how it is as you get older.

Basically I personally LOVE the '00s (and the late '90s and early '10s) despite the flaws.

Written By: bchris02 on 03/28/18 at 4:05 pm

Nostalgia for 2016 will definitely happen at some point. I bet you people in 2030 are going to be talking about the good old days of 2016 and say that music was better back then, and that the current music sucks ;D

I do think the '10s will be a decade that people are nostalgic for.

I'm personally not all that nostalgic for the 2000s, with the exception of 2008 and 2009.  There are various things I liked about the era but overall, I wouldn't go back.

Written By: bchris02 on 03/28/18 at 4:15 pm

I liked the '00s mostly while they were going but there was A LOT of haters. I mean I know it wasn't as good as previous decades, but I was young in my teens and early 20s and embraced it. I'm still kinda a stuck in 2002-2004 guy, "Complicated", "In Da Club", "Crazy In Love" and "Yeah!" were my days. That was my golden era basically. Some may not like that era but for me that was MY time. The later '00s I had a thing for too with "Disturbia" and "Poker Face". The '10s I maybe only liked the beginning after that it's just not the same.

Now as I get older the pop culture just matters less and less and the daily grind of life has taken over, but the memories of my teens and not having real worries are still there. Honestly a lot of stuff I did like isn't that great but it reminds me of those days when I was more carefree so it's still nostalgia. When I listen to "Don't Cha" I think of driving around in my first car and blasting that back in 2005, I mean it really wasn't great music but it makes me think back to when it was a big to be able to drive. "Disturbia" makes me think back to 2008 when it was a big deal to drink legally. Now everything just blends together because I'm a nearly 31 year old man that's been old enough to do absolutely everything for a while now, that's basically how it is as you get older.

Basically I personally LOVE the '00s (and the late '90s and early '10s) despite the flaws.

I can really relate to this.  I miss my early days of drinking.  It had a magic to it at the time that can't be replicated now.  I remember feeling absolutely amazing after only a single beer or a glass of wine.  Three beers had me doing embarrassing, cringey stuff that caused me to not be invited back to parties.  5-6?  I was praying to the porcelain god.  I also smoked cigarettes around that time which I really miss.

The second half of 2009 and first half of 2010 was my "golden age."  I don't miss high school or the early 2000s because while I did like the music at the time, I couldn't really do anything I wanted to do because of my strict parents and I didn't have any friends.

Written By: wixness on 03/29/18 at 8:11 am

Pretty much everyone hated it. Society was still relatively conservative compared to today (same sex marriage was still considered unthinkable in many developed countries around the world) and technology was overall relatively backwards compared to what we have today (CRTs were used in TV screens and computer monitors, widescreen and high definition were yet to be mainstream). 9/11 has been a precursor of modern politics (e.g. terrorism). Emos were around, and people somehow hated them.

I like it now because it seemed rebellious, and the music sounded more melodic (in addition to rock music still being cool then). I liked how the emo trend was flipping the bird against expectations of how guys are meant to live and express themselves.

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/29/18 at 4:50 pm

All of this, which is all of why I also hate the '80s. I'm still rather fond of the early '00s, because we seemed to be a bit more grounded then and like we actually had our sheesh together.

Written By: Balty Raven on 03/31/18 at 11:36 am

I personally loved the 2000s because it was simply my childhood. I didn't really experience that much political events since my comprehension back in the day was still developing. But I do remember when Obama got elected and the H1N1 Swine flu happened in late 2008/early 2009. However, I do know that a lot of people hate the decade because it felt so unstable in terms of economics and financial worries. All thanks to the late 2000s recession and somehow the 9/11 attacks.

Although I do focus more on the pop culture because it seems more diverse than what we have nowadays. Especially when rock and metal was still mainstream than the current state it is today. Heck, most of my favorite albums came from the 2000s like Evanescence's Fallen, Disturbed's Indestructible, and Linkin Park's Minutes to Midnight. None of them would've been popular if they were released today, due to the oversaturation of trap rap and modern pop.

Written By: Balty Raven on 03/31/18 at 12:10 pm

2012>2016

Unpopular opinion, but...

2010 >>> 2016 > 2012

Yes I know the many deaths of celebrities and the 2016 election traumatized a lot of people, but 2012 was the start of all the mass shootings that keep happening on a constant basis.

Written By: Dr. Mario on 03/31/18 at 3:27 pm

Yup! They took what they had for granted. The 2000's were amazing.

Written By: Dundee on 03/31/18 at 4:31 pm

People in the future will probably say the same about us when distopian fears will eventually come true, thinking that we were spoiled little brats complaining about trivial things like social media ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 03/31/18 at 6:16 pm

I also loved the 2000s.

Written By: Balty Raven on 03/31/18 at 6:19 pm

People in the future will probably say the same about us when distopian fears will eventually come true, thinking that we were spoiled little brats complaining about trivial things like social media ;D

That seemed to be the case when I was 14 and 15. I didn't really like using social media that much and favored using forums at the time. Nowadays, I would favor using Discord because it's like AIM but more modern.

Written By: unicornic on 04/01/18 at 9:39 am

Absolutely. Especially when it was ending. It was later named “The decade from hell”

Written By: John Titor on 04/01/18 at 8:39 pm

Absolutely. Especially when it was ending. It was later named “The decade from hell”

people hated the 2000s but only in like 2009

Written By: Looney Toon on 04/01/18 at 8:46 pm

An often exaggerated and misused termed. When compared to other decades in the 20th century like the 1930s and 1940s I don't see how one could see the 2000s as "the decade from hell". It's almost like they think the 2000s is the only decade where upsetting things have happened.

Written By: Balty Raven on 04/01/18 at 9:31 pm

An often exaggerated and misused termed. When compared to other decades in the 20th century like the 1930s and 1940s I don't see how one could see the 2000s as "the decade from hell". It's almost like they think the 2000s is the only decade where upsetting things have happened.

The 2000s had a couple economic recessions and a terrorist attack that changed America's reputation, where as the 1930s and 1940s had an all-out world war where millions of people died from the wrath of the Axis Powers. I'll rather live in the 2000s because at least I wouldn't think of death or oppression all the time.

Written By: piecesof93 on 04/01/18 at 9:38 pm

I think that when they call it the decade from hell, they're comparing it to the 90s. Yes, I know the 90s had unfortunate events riots, bombings, shootings, etc but 911, wars, and the Great Recession were extremely stressful.

Written By: rhubarbcustardcola on 04/08/18 at 9:11 pm

I remember very distinctly, people utterly despised the 2000s. I remember from such a young age people knocking it all the time, so it's pretty much ingrained in my mind 2000s=bad, and I'm now trying to undo that brainwashing and realize it wasn't that bad at all.

It feels like yesterday though that people were still hating the entire 2000s in 08/09, which feels like yesterday to me. Then you got people "forgiving" 2000-2003, and saying everything after that was terrible, and 00-03 were somehow "honorary 90s years." I remember one commenter on youtube arguing with great vehemence that everything 2004 or after would be terrible forever. Seems so funny now.

Written By: ofkx on 04/09/18 at 8:16 am

Yeah. Actually, they hated it until last year. The fact that we're almost 10 years away is what's making people look at at differently today.

Written By: Dundee on 04/09/18 at 8:17 am

I remember very distinctly, people utterly despised the 2000s. I remember from such a young age people knocking it all the time, so it's pretty much ingrained in my mind 2000s=bad, and I'm now trying to undo that brainwashing and realize it wasn't that bad at all.

It feels like yesterday though that people were still hating the entire 2000s in 08/09, which feels like yesterday to me. Then you got people "forgiving" 2000-2003, and saying everything after that was terrible, and 00-03 were somehow "honorary 90s years." I remember one commenter on youtube arguing with great vehemence that everything 2004 or after would be terrible forever. Seems so funny now.

People just keep pushing "when it started sucking" accordingly to what they grew up on. I know old folks who despise anything after 1985. On the internet it first started as anything after 1995 I think, then after 2000, then after 2003, then after 2007 and now the consensus seems to be anything after 2012 (at least on YouTube as far as I can tell).

Retarded and biased crap that's all it is really ::)

Written By: Wobo on 07/02/18 at 1:17 pm

Relating to my thread, I found a comment that was made eleven years ago on a video from the 80s that was also uploaded in 2006 eleven years ago, it really shows that people did hate the 2000s then and 80s nostalgia was pretty much at it's peak by then.
https://i.imgur.com/4Sjs52l.png

Written By: John Titor on 07/02/18 at 1:25 pm

Relating to my thread, I found a comment that was made eleven years ago on a video from the 80s that was also uploaded in 2006 eleven years ago, it really shows that people did hate the 2000s then and 80s nostalgia was pretty much at it's peak by then.
https://i.imgur.com/4Sjs52l.png

80s nostalgia was still big in 2007 2008 and 2009 it started declining around late 2011

Obv there was still songs using synths in 2012 2013 and 2014, but you know what I mean

It reached an apex around 2005, thats when stores like Hot topic had shirts that had Mario NES on it and etc, Madonnas confessions came out and mimicked
late 70s disco/early 80s aesthetic , Tab soda came back around that time as well,  Vh1 I love the 80s was on 24/7 at this time, Vh1s logo and bumpers in gen
were very 80s styled, I would say 2006 it was still big, that is a hard one which year was bigger for 80's nostalgia because you also had Rihannas SOS which sampled an
80s song.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/03/18 at 9:20 pm

I think a lot of people STILL hate the 2000s, especially those who are over 30 years old now. The love of the 2000s seems to be more exclusive to this site, especially when a bunch of people born in the late '90s/early 2000s started joining. But at the moment, most people love everything before 2000. Believe it or not, many folks think anything with a two-thousand in front of it is modern, despite 2000 being 18 years ago now. A lot of people see the 2000s as a "lost decade". It also tends to get mixed with the 2010s because it doesn't have a proper naming structure.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/03/18 at 9:22 pm

People just keep pushing "when it started sucking" accordingly to what they grew up on. I know old folks who despise anything after 1985. On the internet it first started as anything after 1995 I think, then after 2000, then after 2003, then after 2007 and now the consensus seems to be anything after 2012 (at least on YouTube as far as I can tell).

Everything started sucking in 2006.

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/03/18 at 9:38 pm

I think a lot of people STILL hate the 2000s, especially those who are over 30 years old now. The love of the 2000s seems to be more exclusive to this site, especially when a bunch of people born in the late '90s/early 2000s started joining. But at the moment, most people love everything before 2000. Believe it or not, many folks think anything with a two-thousand in front of it is modern, despite 2000 being 18 years ago now. A lot of people see the 2000s as a "lost decade". It also tends to get mixed with the 2010s because it doesn't have a proper naming structure.

The 2000s has a phenomenon hate bandwagon. Haha It honestly makes the 2000s look more special and unique. Something about the decade makes them want to hate it because they need something to hate.

Written By: LooseBolt on 07/04/18 at 6:47 am

While I sometimes enjoy the late (and very early) 2000s pop culturally, no force on earth will make me enjoy what it was like to experience the politics of that decade.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/04/18 at 8:48 am

Honestly, I believe as long as people had access to the INTERNET regularly (or using the WWW) the 2000's have always been the most despised decade because our generation (specifically millennials) were old enough to start making blog posts and web pages by the time social media came up. So throughout the late 2000's and early 2010's the most immature people using websites or creating pages to troll were the 80's born's so they shoved the 90's culture down our throats like crazy, and like I said before 80's born's have been extremely hypocritical about what they claim of the 90's and what we CAN'T claim of the 2000's. TBH Shruggie you've hardly really heard anybody on websites regularly talking about 80's nostalgia or earlier like crazy or how bad the 90's were or earlier. Yes, I do believe 80's nostalgia is the earliest we've seen people reminiscing about on sites to a small extent but let's be honest, did 70's born's really care that much bragging about the 80's since a lot of them were in their 30's by the time social media and blog posting became a normal thing? There was a MySpace post in 2006 with this guy reminiscing the 90's and that's how 90's nostalgia took off on the internet and it took off way too early. 80's born's were at the peak of their immaturity with internet access when social media first came up, and that explains it. If there was such thing as 70's nostalgia and people making fun of the 80's, it probably happened in the 90's in magazines or during old radio talk back in the day when the internet wasn't that mainstream yet.

If anything, when it comes to 70's born's and earlier, it's about the "Boomers and Generation X are superior and millennials are dumb idiots" phrase, nobody cares about kids of a decade by that point. When it comes to millennials such as 80's and 90's born's then we care about the whole "90's vs. 00's kid debate", it's like the millennial generation is heavily divided themselves.

Written By: wixness on 07/04/18 at 2:10 pm

I could say the gender ambiguous fashion and the rock music were what made people hate the 2000s. The politics of the late 2010s are also horrific for some people but they like the culture more.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 07/10/18 at 4:50 pm

Honestly, I believe as long as people had access to the INTERNET regularly (or using the WWW) the 2000's have always been the most despised decade because our generation (specifically millennials) were old enough to start making blog posts and web pages by the time social media came up. So throughout the late 2000's and early 2010's the most immature people using websites or creating pages to troll were the 80's born's so they shoved the 90's culture down our throats like crazy, and like I said before 80's born's have been extremely hypocritical about what they claim of the 90's and what we CAN'T claim of the 2000's. TBH Shruggie you've hardly really heard anybody on websites regularly talking about 80's nostalgia or earlier like crazy or how bad the 90's were or earlier. Yes, I do believe 80's nostalgia is the earliest we've seen people reminiscing about on sites to a small extent but let's be honest, did 70's born's really care that much bragging about the 80's since a lot of them were in their 30's by the time social media and blog posting became a normal thing? There was a MySpace post in 2006 with this guy reminiscing the 90's and that's how 90's nostalgia took off on the internet and it took off way too early. 80's born's were at the peak of their immaturity with internet access when social media first came up, and that explains it. If there was such thing as 70's nostalgia and people making fun of the 80's, it probably happened in the 90's in magazines or during old radio talk back in the day when the internet wasn't that mainstream yet.

If anything, when it comes to 70's born's and earlier, it's about the "Boomers and Generation X are superior and millennials are dumb idiots" phrase, nobody cares about kids of a decade by that point. When it comes to millennials such as 80's and 90's born's then we care about the whole "90's vs. 00's kid debate", it's like the millennial generation is heavily divided themselves.

And the territory of older 80's borns is called Dramaland (no offense to those born in 1980-1984).

Some want to be Gen X and feel superior to those younger than them. Others are sometimes even involved in those 90's/00's kid debates.

Written By: 2001 on 07/10/18 at 5:25 pm

And the territory of older 80's borns is called Dramaland (no offense to those born in 1980-1984).

Some want to be Gen X and feel superior to those younger than them. Others are sometimes even involved in those 90's/00's kid debates.

I saw an article in a serious newspaper about this, an early '80s born writing a billion paragraphs and why she's not like younger millennials.  ::) Get over yourself!

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 07/10/18 at 5:34 pm

I saw an article in a serious newspaper about this, an early '80s born writing a billion paragraphs and why she's not like younger millennials.  ::) Get over yourself!

I think that she accidentally used the newspaper as a place to vent.  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 07/10/18 at 6:22 pm

I think that she accidentally used the newspaper as a place to vent.  ;D

It was this long diatribe about how unique she is. It was this article btw:

https://www.thestar.com/life/opinion/2018/07/09/old-millennials-vs-new-millennials.html

I didn't read the whole thing because after about the fifth paragraph my eyes rolled out of their sockets and I had to go look, erm– search for them.

Written By: SmartBo1 on 07/10/18 at 8:04 pm

Gawd, my Uncle is just like this. He was born in 1981 and he absolutely refuses to be called a millennial. 

Written By: piecesof93 on 07/10/18 at 8:35 pm

That millennial denial is strong.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 07/10/18 at 9:12 pm

Facts, which is why Gen Y is still commonly used those to describe those born in the mid-late 80s, who were too young to experience grunge and Gangsta rap at it's peak, but old enough to grow up without smartphones, social media and old enough to considered old by teenagers.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/10/18 at 9:31 pm

I saw an article in a serious newspaper about this, the early '80s born writing a billion paragraphs and why she's not like younger millennials.  ::) Get over yourself!

Gawd, my Uncle, is just like this. He was born in 1981, and he refuses to be called a millennial. 

And she doesn't even realize how millennial she is! Being in denial is what makes someone like her automatically a millennial regarding generations. Not only that, she spews the same BS regarding technology and social media about why she is different. Also, this paragraph is wrong.

What is delineated between the Old and the New is what happened in the several youths of each group: Old Mills, such as I, experienced crushes on people and best friends and homework and adolescence free of the overwhelming influence of the internet, and Young Mills did not. That’s not a distinction only of nostalgic value — it colours everything that comes after.

This is, to me, luck, subjectively the wild, grassy fortune of my life. Young Mills have their success, are digital geniuses, seem even further removed from the stigmas and dogmas of previous generations — see, for instance, Ocasio-Cortez — which maybe confirms the Early and Late distinction. I had a cellphone and email address and sense of “online” and its possibilities in high school, but not before, so I was still pushed outside to play (mostly, I read) out. Then later, it transitioned smoothly to an always-on, always-online paradigm that was primarily created by my cohort (Mark Zuckerberg is, of course, a millennial). My 10,000 hours of practice, the not entirely accurate shorthand attributed to Malcolm Gladwell about what it takes to become expert in something, achieved through sleepovers spent messing around on IM and IRC and ICQ, weekends dropping in on LAN parties (and then leaving to do something fresh). And the kind of texting that, and this was obvious to us even then in our Motorola Razr fever dreams, was so slow and painful as to be nearly useless.

She mentions that the younger millennials didn't experience love with others, best friends and homework without the aspect of the internet when they did. Furthermore, she even stated that younger ones only suffered an always-online paradigm when that's false. The change of social media was transitional, not immediately instant. It seems she is trying too hard to distance herself from the younger Millennials when she's not even that different from them at all.

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/12/18 at 7:51 pm

The 2000s has a phenomenon hate bandwagon. Haha It honestly makes the 2000s look more special and unique. Something about the decade makes them want to hate it because they need something to hate.

Believe it or not, some of us hate the 2000s because some of us spent most of the decade being told we hate America because we didn't support our government invading a country that hadn't attacked us. Some of us hated being told we should leave the country because we didn't like Bush. Some of us hated watching friends going to Afghanistan and Iraq and coming back with insane drinking habits. Some of us dislike the 2000s because we didn't like spending almost 5 dollars a gallon on gas near half the decade. Some of us didn't like watching Wallstreet and suburbanites live it up like it was the 20s and shrug when the economy finally went belly up. Some of us disliked the empty ringtone rap that took over.

Those are some reasons some of us dislike the 2000s.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 07/12/18 at 10:19 pm

Believe it or not, some of us hate the 2000s because some of us spent most of the decade being told we hate America because we didn't support our government invading a country that hadn't attacked us. Some of us hated being told we should leave the country because we didn't like Bush. Some of us hated watching friends going to Afghanistan and Iraq and coming back with insane drinking habits. Some of us dislike the 2000s because we didn't like spending almost 5 dollars a gallon on gas near half the decade. Some of us didn't like watching Wallstreet and suburbanites live it up like it was the 20s and shrug when the economy finally went belly up. Some of us disliked the empty ringtone rap that took over.

Those are some reasons some of us dislike the 2000s.
I could see that, the same reason why most 90s borns hate the 10s.

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/15/18 at 3:02 pm

I could see that, the same reason why most 90s borns hate the 10s.

I don't exactly HATE the 2000s. I was 13/14 in 2000 and 22/23 in 2009. A lot happened in between those years. There were good things...there were bad things. Actually, the 2000s were quite eventful compared to my life and pop culture in the 2010s but in the end...even with Trump...I think the 90s and 2010s are better.

Personally, I am a fan of 2000-2002 (y2k 2000s) and 08-09 (apple-electropop-Obama 2000s). The rest of it is either bitter or bittersweet.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/15/18 at 3:13 pm

08-09 (apple-electropop-Obama 2000s). The rest of it is either bitter or bittersweet.

In what what was Apple more significant in 2008 - 2009?  ???

Written By: Slim95 on 07/15/18 at 3:27 pm

This is how people felt about the 2000s when it ended.

EewimClEQYw
qvPuNU_meEc
aPl4tYad-0E

Clearly people hated it and thought it was the worst decade ever when it ended.  :P

Written By: mqg96 on 07/15/18 at 3:34 pm

This is how people felt about the 2000s when it ended.

EewimClEQYw
qvPuNU_meEc
aPl4tYad-0E

Clearly people hated it and thought it was the worst decade ever when it ended.  :P

That's what I was saying the other night (on the stream). The early 2010's were never hated like this, even if some of us don't miss the time period, it wasn't hated any where near as much as the late 2000's because that was a transitional time period in our culture when people had to accept the fresh vibe of the 2000's was over and the early 2010's culture such as the rise of social media, high definition, smartphones/iphones, and the more recent style of music were coming in really fast. The economy being down didn't help at all either. The late 2000's were an adjustment, and the late 2000's backlash was huge on the internet this time a decade ago.

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/15/18 at 3:41 pm

In what what was Apple more significant in 2008 - 2009?  ???

If this doesn't explain, I got nothing else for you.

tg-jWQfJkpM  0VtcyTrWI_0

Written By: Zelek3 on 07/17/18 at 2:07 pm

Weirldy enough i aactually know some dudes born in 82 and Late 81 who said they had been told since high school that they were Millennials, because of their graduation date. They're confused why their peers are trying to move the starting cutoff to the late 80s.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 07/18/18 at 5:59 pm

Weirldy enough i aactually know some dudes born in 82 and Late 81 who said they had been told since high school that they were Millennials, because of their graduation date. They're confused why their peers are trying to move the starting cutoff to the late 80s.

Not to start a generation cutoff debate, but in my opinion:

Still at high school when Columbine occurred (this also means not at school yet when the Challenger exploded): You will most likely be viewed as a Millennial.

Still at high school when 9/11 took place: You absolutely will be viewed as a Millennial.

Check for new replies or respond here...