inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Proof of mobile internet use in late 2007

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 03/04/18 at 3:14 am

Hi there, I was browsing this motoring forum about Asperger's Syndrome and I found this little gem

davido140

Original Poster:

9,610 posts

153 months

Friday 19th October 2007
quotequote all

i have just read all of that from my phone on the train. thank You all for your replies. a huge amount of information there for me to digest. i will definitely be in touch again soon.

just want to make it clear i was joking about benefits. and thats the last thing on my mind.

i know it can take an eternity to get a child assessed for a statement. does anyone know if it cam be paid for privately? or if i can employ a private tutor to kind of top up his schooling? the la is oxfordshire. not sure how good they are.

sorry to the spelling police i have sausagesnfor thumbs and tiny buttons on phone.

2007 and he was reading the internet from his phone!

Here's the full thread if anyone is interested

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=452289

There must be loads of little gems like this scattered across the internet, even earlier than 2007, maybe even 2004 or 5.

Subject: Re: Proof of mobile internet use in late 2007

Written By: ofkx on 03/04/18 at 5:45 am

Didn't phones like Blackberrys have internet browsers then? I didn't realize this was rare tbh.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/04/18 at 8:43 am

Didn't phones like Blackberrys have internet browsers then? I didn't realize this was rare tbh.
Yes, they did; however, I don't think that person had a BlackBerry at that time. The only phone he or she most likely during had that period was those sidekicks. That phone could do more than just call and text. It was able to download games, apps (I'm serious), and even better ringtones than the typical flip/slide phones. In addition, the web pages were much better looking since the screen was bigger and it was high tech for its time. Here's a photo of it of what it looked like.

https://www.wired.com/images_blogs/photos/uncategorized/2007/09/26/picture_1.jpg

I will say though very few people had sidekicks considering they were expensive and no one were willing to pay tons of money just to get one. That's why it was still for most to have either a flip phone or a slide.

Written By: 2001 on 03/04/18 at 11:34 am

I remember phones had Internet browsers back then but no one clicked on it because they didn't have a data plan and the charges were insane.

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/04/18 at 11:56 am

I'm sorry but I'm confused as to why people act as if the 2000s were such a primitive time?  ???

You could browse the internet, download photos, music, and ringtones on flip phones by 2008.

Written By: John Titor on 03/04/18 at 12:16 pm

I'm sorry but I'm confused as to why people act as if the 2000s were such a primitive time?  ???

You could browse the internet, download photos, music, and ringtones on flip phones by 2008.

Mobile internet did not really take off until 2007
towards the end of the decade

2000-2006 u did not have that minus Black Berry Pearl witch debuted october 2006 and  the sidekick

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/04/18 at 12:38 pm

Mobile internet did not really take off until 2007
towards the end of the decade

2000-2006 u did not have that minus Black Berry Pearl witch debuted october 2006 and  the sidekick

Maybe I should have clarified and said the late 2000s. I see people pretending the late 2000s were primitive just because we used digital cameras and had flip/slide phones. Sure it wasn't as technologically advanced as today but I'd say it was still relatively advanced. If I could teleport back to 2007 - 2009, I would not be lost or absurdly annoyed with the tech of that time. Plus it doesn't feel like the late 2000s were THAT long ago (I'm aware 2008 was 10 years ago, can you believe it?).

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/04/18 at 1:04 pm

I remember phones had Internet browsers back then but no one clicked on it because they didn't have a data plan and the charges were insane.

THIS!!!

I remember FRANTICALLY clicking the RED cancel/hangup button on my mom's flip phone when I would accidentally open up the Web ;D.

Oh how much times have changed ;D.

Written By: 2001 on 03/04/18 at 1:11 pm

THIS!!!

I remember FRANTICALLY clicking the the RED cancel/hangup button on my mom's flip phone when I would accidentally open up the Web ;D.

LOL yep I did that on my brother's phone, I think it was in 2005, and he went into panic ;D

Back then it wasn't even 3G, it was 2G EDGE which isn't any faster than dialup.

You can actually access the old mobile site of this forum by clicking "WAP2" (Wireless Application Protocol 2) at the bottom.

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/04/18 at 1:30 pm

You can actually access the old mobile site of this forum by clicking "WAP2" (Wireless Application Protocol 2) at the bottom.

Hahaha!!  ;D ;D Why do they still have that? Maybe some people still use old phones.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/04/18 at 2:09 pm

LOL yep I did that on my brother's phone, I think it was in 2005, and he went into panic ;D

Back then it wasn't even 3G, it was 2G EDGE which isn't any faster than dialup.

Oh wow. Thanks, I'll check that out :o.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/04/18 at 2:41 pm

THIS!!!

I remember FRANTICALLY clicking the RED cancel/hangup button on my mom's flip phone when I would accidentally open up the Web ;D.

Agreed! and for some reason a lot of people forget that part. My sister had one of those phones I listed, but she definitely didn't go online often due to the costs. It was best to go online on a computer anyway.

Written By: 2001 on 03/04/18 at 2:48 pm

Hahaha!!  ;D ;D Why do they still have that? Maybe some people still use old phones.

I accessed it on my Kobo (Kindle) once, it's nice to have around ;D

Written By: Howard on 03/04/18 at 3:42 pm

What about modems?

Written By: 2001 on 03/04/18 at 5:24 pm

What about modems?

Modems are what's used to access the Internet at home.

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/04/18 at 7:02 pm

Agreed! and for some reason a lot of people forget that part. My sister had one of those phones I listed, but she definitely didn't go online often due to the costs. It was best to go online on a computer anyway.

I didn't like having to use a computer to surf the net tbh. I'm glad now we can use phones. 

Written By: Fearsword on 03/05/18 at 5:11 am

I remember going on camp once back in 2011 and accessing the Internet on my blackberry. I thought internet was free in 3G areas and I ended up getting a $200 bill that month.

Written By: Howard on 03/05/18 at 5:19 am

I didn't like having to use a computer to surf the net tbh. I'm glad now we can use phones.

Why not?  ???

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/05/18 at 6:58 am

Why not?  ???

I prefer something much smaller than a desktop or laptop. It's just my preference.

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 03/05/18 at 1:17 pm

That's funny because I prefer a desktop.

Older generation I suppose.

In terms of mobile internet, I had one of these

https://www.mobilmania.cz/Files/Obrazky/art17/SagemMyX52/Tel/04.jpg

Back in '05.

The company that I was with, Vodafone, actually seemed to have a bug with their service that would allow me to access the internet and download games for free sometimes.

I vividly remember going on a motorsport website, crash.net, with that phone.

Obviously it had a small screen and it was the basic version of the browser.

But yeah, I just liked that little reference I found.

I know it's not unheard of, I just wanted to raise awareness for some of the younger users on this site :)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/05/18 at 2:40 pm

Back in '05.

The company that I was with, Vodafone, actually seemed to have a bug with their service that would allow me to access the internet and download games for free sometimes.

I know it's not unheard of, I just wanted to raise awareness for some of the younger users on this site :)

My mom in the early '00s had the Nokia version of that phone. They were almost INDESTRUCTIBLE! ;D

Written By: wixness on 03/05/18 at 8:33 pm

O2 in the UK had unlimited data back then (I was and still am on Three). There was also some Flash content you could use, like this, which worked on my first two phones at least (Nokia 6288 and Nokia 2730 Classic):

http://www.freewebarcade.com/game/bash-the-computer/

Sorry for my hiatus - I got uni and life and other websites in the way :/

Written By: Howard on 03/06/18 at 7:20 am

Back in '05.

I used to own those, used to keep them on my front belt buckle.

Check for new replies or respond here...