inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anybody wish we could go back to the technology of the mid 00's?

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/16/18 at 12:00 pm

Maybe it's just me, but I kind miss the days when cell phones were for calling people, and to go on the internet you used your home PC/laptop running Windows XP. You had digital cameras and iPods/mp3 players, and gaming was simpler with no so many buttons (and other controls like motion or touch pad). I feel like that time, we had just enough technology to make our lives convenient, but not too much to make our lives complicated. Maybe I'm getting old and have trouble understanding the modern technology of today. I feel that with our phones now, there is so much to do on them that it's complicated. Even changing the music while I drive or putting in the GPS is more complicated. I'm also not a fan of touchscreen. Before smart phones, I've never accidentally dialed anyone. I'm starting to feel like Will Smith in the movie "I, Robot".

Subject: Re: Anybody wish we could go back to the technology of the mid 00's?

Written By: unicornic on 03/16/18 at 1:36 pm

Absolutely not. ;D Technology is way better nowadays.

Written By: 2001 on 03/16/18 at 2:16 pm

In the mid-2000s I always wanted to play console games online, access the Internet on the go, and be able to watch TV on my computer etc. I got my wish. :)

Written By: Dundee on 03/16/18 at 2:25 pm

Not really, only thing I miss is the colors and the plasticy aesthetics.

https://everymac.com/images/ipod_pictures/apple-ipod-nano-3g.jpg

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 03/16/18 at 3:04 pm

Quite the opposite, I'd prefer having more advanced tech than we do now, technology progressing is something that always makes me excited for the future.

Written By: ofkx on 03/16/18 at 3:45 pm

Why would someone want old technology? I'd take my iPhone over a flip phone any day.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/16/18 at 4:21 pm

NO

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/16/18 at 4:43 pm

No but I would like to go back to the mid 2000s internet culture.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/16/18 at 6:37 pm

Yeah, I’d rather have to press a button multiple times just to get a letter than pull out my iPhone, go on the Internet easily,  and type like I’m on a computer. The former is so much easier and better!

Written By: Slim95 on 03/16/18 at 7:37 pm

Yeah I do. They were simpler times back then.

Written By: bchris02 on 03/16/18 at 8:27 pm

No but I would like to go back to the mid 2000s internet culture.

This.  While I do have a certain amount of nostalgia for the tech of the mid '00s I wouldn't want to go back.  However, I do miss the Internet back then, specifically 2006-07.  It was late enough that we had social media and YouTube but it wasn't all-encompassing like it is today.  It was a young person's realm; before parents had Facebook.

Written By: #Infinity on 03/16/18 at 8:48 pm

Yes, I myself am largely stuck in the mid-2000s when it comes to technology.

Written By: SpyroKev on 03/16/18 at 10:11 pm

I know how you feel, dude. I miss cell phones the more I think about them. I definitely miss the Gameboy SP. As I stated, I prefer the sixth generation in 3D as far as gaming.

The internet would be nice to have back to.

Written By: Howard on 03/17/18 at 2:48 pm

Not really, only thing I miss is the colors and the plasticy aesthetics.

https://everymac.com/images/ipod_pictures/apple-ipod-nano-3g.jpg

Were they easier than the smartphones people use nowadays? ???

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 03/18/18 at 7:40 am

I wouldn't want to.

Despite my nostalgia for my teenage years, which where exclusively in the 00s.

If I could actually go back in time to the 00s, I wouldn't miss the technology from the '10s.

But I can't see the point in inferior technology for the sake of it.

All these threads are just ppl looking at things through rose tinted glasses, like everyone throughout history does.

But I would like to be 16 again and that would require everything to be the same.

Technology but also pop culture, the state of the world, everything.

Written By: SpyroKev on 03/18/18 at 10:05 am

I wouldn't want to.

Despite my nostalgia for my teenage years, which where exclusively in the 00s.

If I could actually go back in time to the 00s, I wouldn't miss the technology from the '10s.

But I can't see the point in inferior technology for the sake of it.

All these threads are just ppl looking at things through rose tinted glasses, like everyone throughout history does.

But I would like to be 16 again and that would require everything to be the same.

Technology but also pop culture, the state of the world, everything.

I can relate to this. Yes, its complicated. For everything to be back to how you want it, would be like losing your memories from onwards, its harsh.

Written By: 2001 on 03/18/18 at 11:28 am

Yeah I do. They were simpler times back then.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. What's so simple about everything being more difficult to do and taking longer? Sounds like the opposite of simpler :P

Written By: SpyroKev on 03/18/18 at 11:44 am

I'm not sure what you mean by that. What's so simple about everything being more difficult to do and taking longer? Sounds like the opposite of simpler :P

He means it alternatively. I dislike filling out for job applications online. I got so many errors and username already takens.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/18/18 at 12:05 pm

There's absolutely no way I (or almost everybody really) would want to go back to the technology of the mid-2000's. Not to sound rude, but OP you need to take off your rose-tinted glasses and take a better look at today's technology. It's way better in a lot of ways that don't even need to be explained. Gone are the days where you need to press a button more than once just to get to a certain letter. iPhones have made lots of things easier for us. You can easily text your family and friends in public, you have apps like Instagram that you can use anywhere at anytime to talk to your friends, you can browse the Internet right on the go, the camera quality on today's iPhones is a lot better than on Flip phones or digital cameras. A lot of stuff has changed technologically and mostly for the better.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/18/18 at 1:29 pm

There's absolutely no way I (or almost everybody really) would want to go back to the technology of the mid-2000's. Not to sound rude, but OP you need to take off your rose-tinted glasses and take a better look at today's technology. It's way better in a lot of ways that don't even need to be explained. Gone are the days where you need to press a button more than once just to get to a certain letter. iPhones have made lots of things easier for us. You can easily text your family and friends in public, you have apps like Instagram that you can use anywhere at anytime to talk to your friends, you can browse the Internet right on the go, the camera quality on today's iPhones is a lot better than on Flip phones or digital cameras. A lot of stuff has changed technologically and mostly for the better.

Trust me, it's not rose tinted glasses, but it could be that my age everything seems to be like s***. I'd much rather press a button multiple times than accidentally touch a screen to send an email or text I wasn't ready to send or accidentally call somebody. I prefer using a mouse and typing on a keyboard. I especially hate iPhones and anything made by Crapple. If I'm going to have a smartphone then it's going to be an Android. Not to sound rude but you're probably a Millenial or Post-millenial that know how to do everything on Instagram and Snapchat, while I'm the dumb old guy just like when the older generation didn't know how to use a digital camera.

Quite the opposite, I'd prefer having more advanced tech than we do now, technology progressing is something that always makes me excited for the future.

One thing I would prefer is self-driving cars, because I hate driving so much.

This.  While I do have a certain amount of nostalgia for the tech of the mid '00s I wouldn't want to go back.  However, I do miss the Internet back then, specifically 2006-07.  It was late enough that we had social media and YouTube but it wasn't all-encompassing like it is today.  It was a young person's realm; before parents had Facebook.

I actually like the old MySpace better than Facebook.

Written By: 2001 on 03/18/18 at 1:52 pm

Trust me, it's not rose tinted glasses, but it could be that my age everything seems to be like s***. I'd much rather press a button multiple times than accidentally touch a screen to send an email or text I wasn't ready to send or accidentally call somebody. I prefer using a mouse and typing on a keyboard. I especially hate iPhones and anything made by Crapple. If I'm going to have a smartphone then it's going to be an Android. Not to sound rude but you're probably a Millenial or Post-millenial that know how to do everything on Instagram and Snapchat, while I'm the dumb old guy just like when the older generation didn't know how to use a digital camera.

One thing I would prefer is self-driving cars, because I hate driving so much.

I actually like the old MySpace better than Facebook.

You don't have a smartphone? :o

You're already living in the mid-2000s lol. Just replace your HDTV with a tube and downgrade your Internet speed to 512 Kbps and you're good. :P

BTW I didn't think you were that old, aren't you only 38?

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/18/18 at 2:17 pm

For nostalgic purposes: Sure!

Objectively speaking: Not really....

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/19/18 at 2:23 am

You don't have a smartphone? :o

You're already living in the mid-2000s lol. Just replace your HDTV with a tube and downgrade your Internet speed to 512 Kbps and you're good. :P

BTW I didn't think you were that old, aren't you only 38?

Actually I do have a smartphone, a Sony Xperia (Android). I'm actually 39 (less than 9 months from 40), so I'm at the age where I'm just unhappy about everything.

One modern technology I do like is cloud computing, especially when the pics from my phone automatically back up to the cloud drive.

Written By: duenas8 on 03/20/18 at 10:08 pm

Technology back then was way more fragmented, now we have one device for everything and I kinda miss use different devices according my necessities (overall DVDs and 2000’s websites), instead of share everything to the cloud owned by a one big company

Written By: duenas8 on 03/21/18 at 1:07 am

Actually not, it’s only better in terms of quality, but everything else is worse. The principal responsible for this are tech companies, which are turning their devices into invasive cloud platforms, actually “your” information doesn’t belong to you, it belongs to those companies. In a couple decades, you will realize about it when you want to search for “those old photos” and everything will stay on Snapchat, Instagram, etc. and nothing can assure you that those companies will exist forever. Instead of 2000s tech, where that information will stay on DVDs, MP3, Digital cameras and most importantly you are the only proprietary of it

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/21/18 at 2:01 am

Actually not, it’s only better in terms of quality, but everything else is worse. The principal responsible for this are tech companies, which are turning their devices into invasive platforms, actually “your” information doesn’t belong to you, it belongs to those companies. In a couple decades, you will realize about it when you want to search for “those old photos” and everything will stay on Snapchat, Instagram, etc. and nothing can assure you that those companies will exist forever. Instead of 2000s tech, where that information will stay on DVDs, MP3, Digital cameras and most importantly you are the only proprietary of it

That is absolutely correct. I was actually just going to make a thread asking if flashdrives were still relevant. I have been thinking about this the past few weeks. Many of us rely on virtual clouds to store our information.This leaves us with no physical copies of our things, meaning they could be lost forever granted something happened to those clouds, social media and whatever other digital storage we use. 

I was also saying the other day that there are photos from MySpace that I want to retrieve. The only problem is I cannot find my MySpace at all. So all of those photos from middle school and high school are now gone forever. They disappeared when MySpace disappeared. Same thing happened with photos in my old cellphone that I broke. Now I'm going back to uploading important items to a flashdrive. That way if anything were to happen to Google Drive years from now, I would have a backup plan this time (assuming I don't lose the flash drive). Both new and old tech have their downfalls.

Written By: APDCR1990 on 03/22/18 at 12:46 pm

If we're talking social media, then the late 90's/early 00's would be more preferable. Cell phones used strictly for calling/texting and the Internet before Myspace/Facebook. I think social media has been the most damaging from a sociological POV, particularly in the U.S. We've replaced real human connection with tweets and Snapchat.

From a retail perspective, the mid-90s before Amazon.

Home Entertainment - prior to the 80s, with the exception of video cameras. I think taping a wedding or birthday party is a good thing. Movies should be watched at a theater. No Playstation. Go to an Arcade for games.

The main point is to bring people together and increase our interaction. Also, no suburban sprawl. So that would be urban planning from pre-1950.

Written By: Howard on 03/22/18 at 1:34 pm

If we're talking social media, then the late 90's/early 00's would be more preferable. Cell phones used strictly for calling/texting and the Internet before Myspace/Facebook. I think social media has been the most damaging from a sociological POV, particularly in the U.S. We've replaced real human connection with tweets and Snapchat.

From a retail perspective, the mid-90s before Amazon.

Home Entertainment - prior to the 80s, with the exception of video cameras. I think taping a wedding or birthday party is a good thing. Movies should be watched at a theater. No Playstation. Go to an Arcade for games.

The main point is to bring people together and increase our interaction. Also, no suburban sprawl. So that would be urban planning from pre-1950.

That's the way life was before all this technology.

Written By: 2001 on 03/22/18 at 5:34 pm

rmbr wen haff da internet was in comic sans????!!!11111one it waz kewl lol xDD

Written By: APDCR1990 on 03/22/18 at 6:02 pm

That's the way life was before all this technology.

Yep. With the exception of the ugliness of racism, sexism, and less sophisticated medical technology, our communities were much stronger and more pleasant back then. Less corporate chains, more charming Main Streets, etc.

Written By: ofkx on 03/23/18 at 8:59 am

rmbr wen haff da internet was in comic sans????!!!11111one it waz kewl lol xDD

jhaha lololol yes i love it bcuz every1 was so random then!!1 XDDD *rawr* =)

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/24/18 at 11:54 am

There's of course advantages and disadvantages of today's technology. The advantage is it's easier to communicate with people (somewhat, if you consider Facebook Messager "communicating"). A disadvantage is that people expect you to be reachable 24/7. Some people can't even take a real vacation unless they go off the grid, because they still get calls and emails on their phone from work.

Written By: TwilightPrince16 on 03/25/18 at 3:09 pm

lol nope

Check for new replies or respond here...