inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Remember the level of patriotism after 9/11?

Written By: Brian06 on 03/29/18 at 2:06 pm

I was thinking back to how high patriotism was after 9/11. I mean it was insane really. You had that “Proud to be an American” song everywhere. All the sports players had big American flags or ribbons on their jerseys. The TV networks had the flag colors incorporated in their logos for a while. President Bush had a 90% rating! This one grocery store by us had these “United we stand” paper handouts with flags on them.

One time just after 9/11 I actually took our flag and was standing on the road waving it with some of my friends!

Subject: Re: Remember the level of patriotism after 9/11?

Written By: Wobo on 03/29/18 at 4:57 pm

Yeah i watching videos from the days after 9/11 and seemed like everyone was together after the attack.

Written By: Howard on 03/30/18 at 5:44 am

I still can't believe it will be 17 years when the incident had happened, Man time sure does fly! :o

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/30/18 at 3:09 pm

I mean, I was 11 at the time, so I just barely remember it, but yeah.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 03/30/18 at 9:59 pm

I was only 3 when that event happened, and all I remember is seeing a few newspapers with the headline, as well as seeing it on the news later in 2001, but I definitely do remember the post-9/11 patriotism.

I lived in a town close to a military base, I saw American flags everywhere, we drew them in preschool many times, and country radio played a sheeshstorm of patriotic country music, like this song here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PXSK3iDeAI

Written By: 2001 on 03/30/18 at 10:03 pm

Not American, but yes. "Freedom fries", lol. It looked like complete lunacy from the outside.

Written By: Howard on 03/31/18 at 3:16 pm

I can remember when people flew their flag everywhere to show their patriotism.

Written By: Dr. Mario on 03/31/18 at 3:18 pm

I don't. I was too young back then.

Written By: Balty Raven on 03/31/18 at 7:16 pm

I was only an infant when 9/11 happened, so I didn't really remember that much patriotism towards anything that happened after that.

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/02/18 at 7:34 am

Well 2026 (the 250th anniversary) is less than a decade away, and likely will have some celebrations with, and for late Gen Xers and up, likely the patriotic celebration of their lifetime. But when you go decades without a major war, the willingness tends to weaken a little, although Trump's "Make America Great Again" did try to put this back. Meanwhile, Canada just had its sesquicentennial in 2017 and seems more patriotic than the States, but I didn't visit. It seems like the UK has higher patriotism though now with Brexit.

The 1980s/early 90s also was quite patriotic (especially 1986 with Hands Across America and the Statue of Liberty centennial celebration). 1987 had a lot of Constitutions bicentennial celebrations, and there was a lot of patriotism, including a big celebration during the first Gulf War in 1991.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/02/18 at 11:36 am

The 1980s/early 90s also was quite patriotic (especially 1986 with Hands Across America and the Statue of Liberty centennial celebration). 1987 had a lot of Constitutions bicentennial celebrations, and there was a lot of patriotism, including a big celebration during the first Gulf War in 1991.

Yeah, the Reagan era was very patriotic, as was the GWB era right after 9/11 which lasted for a few years following. The Trump era is bringing it back with the #MAGA culture.

Check for new replies or respond here...