inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Were there any great female acoustic singers in the earlier half of the decade?

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/30/18 at 3:08 pm

I'm just struggling to think of who it might've been before the latter half of the decade, when we had Gregory & the Hawk and others like her. Were there any female acoustic artists in the early 2000s and thereabouts that you enjoyed? Please, share them below. Thanks!

Subject: Re: Were there any great female acoustic singers in the earlier half of the decade?

Written By: bchris02 on 03/30/18 at 6:11 pm

Norah Jones.

Subject: Re: Were there any great female acoustic singers in the earlier half of the decade?

Written By: nally on 03/30/18 at 7:58 pm

Norah Jones.

...whose birthday is today! (She's 39.) Good choice with her. O0

Sarah McLachlan was also still active in the early 00's; she had a hit in 2003 with "Fallen"; the following year she had a minor hit with "World On Fire."

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/30/18 at 10:13 pm

I meant a little more towards the folksy, indie end of things. Anybody know those? I'm not really familiar with the female acoustic artists like that before Gregory & the Hawk, and like I said, that was more the latter half of the 2000s. But I know they must've existed before then, because where else would Hawk have gotten her sound?

Written By: Fearsword on 03/31/18 at 6:46 am

Kasey Chambers, though may never have heard of her as she's Australian. Missy Higgins, though she didn't get big till 2004.

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/31/18 at 8:50 am

I guess I'll show my hand: I am writing again! Yay! It's a slice of life-ish story that takes place from 2003 to 2006. One of the female characters listens to folksy stuff sung and played by women. Problem is I don't know anything about that scene from around that time. Fiona Apple is too piano-heavy, Michelle Branch is too poppy, and I'm just getting frustrated by the fact that I'm sorta stuck in my own bubble of musical knowledge.

Check for new replies or respond here...