inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Was it more common to like older music in the 2000s?

Written By: XYkid on 04/17/18 at 2:41 am

I feel like I remember a lot more people saying "music sucks now" then, and I was often teased for enjoying music like Hilary Duff or Avril Lavigne, despite them both being considered "mainstream" at the time. I remember a lot more people would listen to music from the 70s and 80s and other previous eras much more so than today. Now it seems like everyone listens to the same music, even older people and people who would be considered "alternative". Nowadays people seem to look at me weird when they find out that the majority of my music collection is from 1985 to 2005. To me that makes no sense considering we have the ability to stream any kind of music from our phones. Not to mention, we live in the "nostalgia decade", but it feels like people are only nostalgic on a surface level and nothing more. I also seem to hear a lot more people in my generations ay things like "I can't listen to older music, it brings back bad memories" way more than previous ones. I almost never hear a boomer say this, since most boomers still seem to cling to 70s and 80s music like there's no tomorrow.

Subject: Re: Was it more common to like older music in the 2000s?

Written By: SpyroKev on 10/09/18 at 10:32 am

It.. was. It was definitely more exceptional then. Not in the late 2000s tho. It was more a early 2000s thing. People that were teenagers in the 2000s listened to 2000s artists, why Hip Hop was so explosive then.

I remember the 2Pac hype was still powerful up until 04.

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/09/18 at 1:00 pm

Decadeology is taking over this forum in a whole new annoying way.

Written By: SpyroKev on 10/09/18 at 2:03 pm

Decadeology is taking over this forum in a whole new annoying way.

This isn't even decadeology.

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/09/18 at 2:05 pm

This isn't even decadeology.

It is 100%

Written By: Dundee on 10/10/18 at 4:00 pm

People nowadays are at least a billion more times accepting of someone's weird taste in music than in the 2000s

Written By: piecesof93 on 10/10/18 at 5:17 pm

People nowadays are at least a billion more times accepting of someone's weird taste in music than in the 2000s

People today are still pretentious af and act smug towards those with people who don't have "diverse" taste. Same problem, different format.

Check for new replies or respond here...