inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Short documentary on Millenials from 2008

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 04/29/18 at 1:09 pm

Heya guys, I'm wondering what you youngsters make of these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owwM6FpWWoQ
Hard to believe kids born from 1995-2000 are also being lumped into the Millenials category these days >:(

Edit: Not sure how to embed!

Subject: Re: Short documentary on Millenials from 2008

Written By: Wobo on 04/29/18 at 1:44 pm

Did it for you.  :)
owwM6FpWWoQ

Written By: mwalker1996 on 05/01/18 at 4:38 pm

Wait till 60 minutes does Generation Z.

Written By: Dr. Mario on 05/01/18 at 4:42 pm

I'm not even a minute into the video and this old geezer has to use the participation trophy meme.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 05/01/18 at 4:57 pm

I'm not even a minute into the video and this old geezer has to use the participation trophy meme.
Most common thing people say about Millennials. Back then it 1995 would've been the cut-off but you got 2000s babies being labeled Millennials.

Written By: Dr. Mario on 05/01/18 at 5:00 pm

Most common thing people say about Millennials. Back then it 1995 would've been the cut-off but you got 2000s babies being labeled Millennials.

Personality Cafe came out the same year this video was made, in 2008, hence why Gen Y on there is 1977-1994. A decade later, the generations forum has been ruined by 1995-2000 babies whining about the '94 cutoff.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/01/18 at 5:01 pm

Personality Cafe came out the same year this video was made, in 2008. A decade later, the generations forum has been ruined by 1995-2000 babies whining about the '94 cutoff.

Definitions of generations evolve over time, so I don't know what you're trying to imply.

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/01/18 at 6:55 pm

Interesting video. "Millennial" became an extremely jacked term 10 years later, because people kept using it to insult increasingly younger and younger people and confused Gen Z for them, until FINALLY people acknowledged Gen Z recently.

https://i.imgur.com/ksj5cZA.jpg

Written By: Looney Toon on 05/01/18 at 10:17 pm

Heya guys, I'm wondering what you youngsters make of these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owwM6FpWWoQ
Hard to believe kids born from 1995-2000 are also being lumped into the Millenials category these days >:(

Edit: Not sure how to embed!

A generation year span changes with time. For example you could make up a generation and its year span, but as new events happen you will then need to take that into consideration for the generation that just experienced it. This in turn causes gen names and gen year spans to be changed or else they become outdated. For example 1980-1995 is now an outdated year span for Millennials/Gen Y. And now no one knows what the hell Millennials even are anymore since they call some Gen Zers "millennials" showing that even they don't know what a millennial is.

Generation topics are just dumb honestly.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/01/18 at 10:22 pm

A generation year span changes with time. For example you could make up a generation and its year span, but as new events happen you will then need to take that into consideration for the generation that just experienced it. This in turn causes gen names and gen year spans to be changed or else they become outdated. For example 1980-1995 is now an outdated year span for Millennials/Gen Y. And now no one knows what the hell Millennials even are anymore since they call some Gen Zers "millennials" showing that even they don't know what a millennial is.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 05/02/18 at 6:24 am

Why does a generation span change with time though?

What's wrong with saying Millenials are 1980-1995 and Generation Z are 1995-current?

That makes more sense to me than ever shifting goal posts.

I've even noticed on a couple of other forums that I browse but am not on, people my age and a few years older trying to claim that they are "too old" to be categorized as Milennials and even trying to claim "Xennial" ;D

This thread on youngsters over on my dirt bike forum is a prime example of a 28 year old trying to claim he is not (quite) a Millennial, but he doesn't have the audacity to claim "Xennial" either.

http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/lounge/1329858-youngsters-18.html#post5591290

where to begin with this!  Don't think I quite count as a millennial at 28 but I suppose not far off... I'll try and keep this simple:

house price to earnings ratio, even early 90's, total UK about 3x, London 4x. 2017 total UK just short of 6x, London closer to 11x.

Massive increase i property prices...yep, I mean that's just a fact whatever region you look at, prices (all adj for RPI to keep this simple) in 1975 £77k and as of Q1'18 £235.5k. that's nationwide, not just London. Or in absolute terms if you prefer: 1975 was £10,388 vs Q1'18 of £210k. pretty big increase there.

As for getting on the housing ladder in the late noughties... you're aware something fairly serious happened to the global economy in 2008 right? something to do with the older generations taking on too much freely available debt which was safely packaged into CDO's... caused a few issues with lending/mortgage availability/banking collapse. Oh did we mention those 110% mortgages you guys could get? Sure interest rates were higher but they were more affordable

real returns on savings: see the point you made just above about 12% interest rates...

Soaring stock markets: +540% for the FTSE100 from the mid 80's to 2005. 400% for the mid-cap.

free tuition - so you're saying only the wealthy should go to uni? keep the rest down the mines or something?

And yep higher education levels, greater number of skilled jobs and the shift to services has made jobs much more competitive. it's not necessarily a bad thing but there's no 'joining at the bottom and climbing up steadily' like there used to be. competition is never a bad thing and ultimately leads to better companies but the job market is an entirely situation from where it was 30 years ago.

final salary pensions were a massive thing, also see your point about interest rates and then my point about soaring stock markets...

I am registered on that site so I put him right in this case.

Written By: Dundee on 05/02/18 at 7:56 am

What's wrong with saying Millenials are 1980-1995 and Generation Z are 1995-current?

Problem is that they're arbitrary cut-offs people made out of thin air, so of course you gonna have people complaining about it.
Only the Baby Boomer-Gen X cut off has concrete foundation, being completely based off on decreasing birth rates, making the baby boom irrelevant at that point.
The Gen X-Millenial cut off is already problematic, but generaly accepted based on whether you were a kid or a teen in the early 90s during the Grunge explosion, so it has more to do whith a cultural thing.

So far nothing defines the Millenial-Gen Z cut-off, and attempts like 9/11 or the recession didn't really help much.
I still think this gonna need another decade when a good chunk of the members of the supposedely Gen Z will hit maturity.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/02/18 at 8:14 am

Problem is that they're arbitrary cut-offs people made out of thin air, so of course you gonna have people complaining about it.
Only the Baby Boomer-Gen X cut off has concrete foundation, being completely based off on decreasing birth rates, making the baby boom irrelevant at that point.
The Gen X-Millenial cut off is already problematic, but generaly accepted based on whether you were a kid or a teen in the early 90s during the Grunge explosion, so it has more to do whith a cultural thing.

So far nothing defines the Millenial-Gen Z cut-off, and attempts like 9/11 or the recession didn't really help much.
I still think this gonna need another decade when a good chunk of the members of the supposedely Gen Z will hit maturity.

I agree.

Written By: Looney Toon on 05/03/18 at 3:44 pm

That makes more sense to me than ever shifting goal posts.

I've even noticed on a couple of other forums that I browse but am not on, people my age and a few years older trying to claim that they are "too old" to be categorized as Milennials and even trying to claim "Xennial" ;D

Well the idea of Gen Y/Millennials was first showing up around the 1990s/early 2000s are so. Back then there was a gen span that was used before the "1980-1995" gen span was used. But as we moved through the 21st century and more changes/events occured people started to take these into consideration. Which eventually caused us to shift the 1980-1995, 1982 - 2004 etc etc. Honestly it's like people don't even know what they want a gen to be anymore. Changing definitions, age ranges, and creating arbitrary criteria (like they have to spend a lot of time on social media or have to be an idealist instead of a realist). It's almost like people don't even know what they're talking about anymore.

As for a "Xennial" I have no idea what that is? And you can't be a millennial who all of a sudden "feels to old" to be a millennial. Last I checked a person can't grow out of their generation. Again it's like these people think millennial only refers to young people. It's like they think millennial is late teens to twenties and will stay that way. And once you hit your late twenties/thirties they think they can't use the millennial label anymore. Heck even people a part of the millennial gen don't even have an idea as to what a millennial is supposed to be.

It is very easy to pick apart the problems that generation ideas have when think about it.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 05/03/18 at 5:33 pm

Well the idea of Gen Y/Millennials was first showing up around the 1990s/early 2000s are so. Back then there was a gen span that was used before the "1980-1995" gen span was used. But as we moved through the 21st century and more changes/events occured people started to take these into consideration. Which eventually caused us to shift the 1980-1995, 1982 - 2004 etc etc. Honestly it's like people don't even know what they want a gen to be anymore. Changing definitions, age ranges, and creating arbitrary criteria (like they have to spend a lot of time on social media or have to be an idealist instead of a realist). It's almost like people don't even know what they're talking about anymore.

As for a "Xennial" I have no idea what that is? And you can't be a millennial who all of a sudden "feels to old" to be a millennial. Last I checked a person can't grow out of their generation. Again it's like these people think millennial only refers to young people. It's like they think millennial is late teens to twenties and will stay that way. And once you hit your late twenties/thirties they think they can't use the millennial label anymore. Heck even people a part of the millennial gen don't even have an idea as to what a millennial is supposed to be.

It is very easy to pick apart the problems that generation ideas have when think about it.
I still think the 1980-1995 cutoff has some validity to it because they were all old enough able to witness Y2K (which should be the main indicator of being a millennial), old enough to remember 9/11, old enough to remember the recession,  old enough to remember a pre-smartphone era. To BlackPanther's point, definitions have changed over time. I remember back in 2010 when 1990 borns were considered IGen (another term for gen z) but nowadays we view them as pure millennials.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/12/18 at 3:11 pm

I still think the 1980-1995 cutoff has some validity to it because they were all old enough able to witness Y2K (which should be the main indicator of being a millennial), old enough to remember 9/11, old enough to remember the recession,  old enough to remember a pre-smartphone era. To BlackPanther's point, definitions have changed over time. I remember back in 2010 when 1990 borns were considered IGen (another term for gen z) but nowadays we view them as pure millennials.

I remember 9/11 and I was born in 1995 so it really isn't valid. Plus if you're in another country besides the States, 9/11 being an indicator is pretty baseless anyway.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/12/18 at 3:15 pm

I find it kind of odd a lot of people think 1995 and 1994 borns are incredibly different from each other and like totally part of a different generation. I have felt that way all my life. I swear I hear people say 1994 and 1995 borns are even more different than 1995 and 1998 borns, which just doesn't make sense especially when one is born only days after 1994 like myself. It's just all really silly really. At this point I honestly don't even care if the cutoff is 1994 (even though I don't think it is, this is only the cusp period) because I don't care about generations or let them define me. It's very silly to say someone born on January 1st 1995 is in a different generation from someone born on December 31, 1994 for example. And in the end of the day, who cares?

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 05/12/18 at 3:17 pm

I find it kind of odd a lot of people think 1995 and 1994 borns are incredibly different from each other and like totally part of a different generation. I have felt that way all my life. I swear I hear people say 1994 and 1995 borns are even more different than 1995 and 1998 borns, which just doesn't make sense especially when one is born only days after 1994 like myself. It's just all really silly really. At this point I honestly don't even care if the cutoff is 1994 (even though I don't think it is, this is only the cusp period) because I don't care about generations or let them define me. It's very silly to say someone born on January 1st 1995 is in a different generation from someone born on December 31, 1994 for example. And in the end of the day, who cares?

The cutoff is at 1996 now, so you're still a Millennial in that regard.

Ultimately, you're right, it's all arbitrary.

Written By: Dundee on 05/13/18 at 12:55 pm

The cutoff is at 1996 now, so you're still a Millennial in that regard.

Ultimately, you're right, it's all arbitrary.

Nope

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 05/13/18 at 1:00 pm

Nope

That was only according to Pew.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 05/17/18 at 3:59 pm

I remember 9/11 and I was born in 1995 so it really isn't valid. Plus if you're in another country besides the States, 9/11 being an indicator is pretty baseless anyway.
Which is why I use the Y2K rule as the main indicator since you guys were the first to enter elementary school post-Y2K.

Check for new replies or respond here...