inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Movie Theater Experiences of The 2000s

Written By: Early2002 on 05/04/18 at 4:14 pm

This is to talk about some memories you have of going to the movies in the 2000's not so much on the movies themselves.
Here are a few of mine.

1) DRAGONFLY -2002

I had movie passes the prior year in 2001 that I was holding onto and used for this movie, I was starving this entire movie and it seemed it went
on forever! I did not see the trailer prior to this movie  so I had 0% idea of what to expect or who Kevin Costner was.
The girl I was dating at the time was nice so I was glad to get thru all of that crap to see her .

you guessed it, this movie came out in Feb 2002 lol

2) Taxi- 2004

Ended up inside and only the front row was available, we ended up having to have our head looking up the entire time, my neck felt like it was broken,
the girl I was seeing at the time was pretty happy I walked almost an hour in the snow to see it.

3) Spiderman -2    -2004

Everyone was standing up during the train scene with doc oc and clapping, was such a memorable moment, I remember that Dashboard song playing as the credits were rolling,  I snuck in with my friend right after this to watch White Chicks.

4) JuneBug -2005
Was with this girl and she was pretty much butt naked, she was wearing this skirt and kept sitting on my lap, was wild.

5) Fast & Furious Tokyo Drift -2006
Was with this girl for 48 hours and was wasted and high at the same time, I fell asleep halfway in the movie and woke up to Vin Diesels Cameo.

6) Superman Returns - 2006

Movie was so bad someone hurled a cup at the screen and it got all wet lol

Subject: Re: Movie Theater Experiences of The 2000s

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/04/18 at 6:08 pm

I saw Revenge of the Sith in the theater in 2005 and it was awesome.

Written By: Dundee on 05/04/18 at 6:32 pm

2008 was the first year I went to the theatres. I remember watching Hancock, WALL-E and High School Musical 3 when they came out :D.

It was a great discovery for me, I remember being blown away from hearing the actual year (2008 at the time) being mentioned in a movie for the first time ;D.

Written By: Dr. Mario on 05/04/18 at 7:25 pm

I had a great experience watching Horton Hears a Who! and Bolt in theaters in 2008.

Also, I watched Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel in 2009, while my older brother and sister watched Avatar, when chipmunks ended, I got only got to see a glimpse of Avatar. :P I was only 7 at the time, and wasn't really interested in the movie.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/04/18 at 10:17 pm

I remember seeing Batman Begins the night it released with a hot date. She was a beautiful petite Asian woman who was older than me (I was 26 and she was about 34 at the time). She was wearing a short skirt as she always did and was resting her legs on my lap the entire movie. However, that's totally irrelevant to why I like that movie.

Written By: d90 on 05/04/18 at 10:57 pm

Some Movies I saw at theaters in the 2000s
Chicken Run 2000
Saw it at the Ontario Edwards theater in Ontario California with my dad who doesn't go out to movies too often and mom.
Shrek 2001
Jimmy Neutron 2002
I saw this when I was learning about neutrons
2002 Star Wars episode 2
I saw this with a friend.
Eight Crazy Nights (2002)
This was the first pg13 movie that I saw in theaters

Written By: d90 on 05/04/18 at 11:02 pm

The Simpsons Movie 2007.
It was interesting after all those years seeing it on TV to see it at the movie theater.

Written By: nally on 05/04/18 at 11:03 pm

2000:
- Space Cowboys
- Best In Show

2001:
- Rush Hour 2

2002:
- Spiderman (starring Tobey Maguire)
- Men In Black 2

2005:
- March of the Penguins

Written By: Dr. Mario on 05/05/18 at 11:20 am

I had a great experience watching Horton Hears a Who! and Bolt in theaters in 2008.

Also, I watched Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel in 2009, while my older brother and sister watched Avatar, when chipmunks ended, I got only got to see a glimpse of Avatar. :P I was only 7 at the time, and wasn't really interested in the movie.

I forgot to mention watching The Simpsons Movie in 2007. It was at a drive in theater too!!

Written By: nally on 05/05/18 at 11:34 am

I forgot to mention watching The Simpsons Movie in 2007. It was at a drive in theater too!!

I guess certain drive-ins still exist in various parts of the world...even then. Not so many where I'm at.

Written By: Star Struck on 05/05/18 at 2:16 pm

1) Chicken Run - 2000
I loved Chicken Run as a kid! I was around 5 at the time when I saw it and I've always been a fan of stop motion animation ever since.

2) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - 2001
The same year I met my best friend and the first movie we watched together when I was in 1st grade and he was in 2nd grade. We became fans of Harry Potter ever since (not die hard, just casual) and watched every movie that came out in theaters.

3) Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring - 2001
I will say this: being 6 at the time, my mom and everyone else were surprised I watched the entire movie without following asleep, considering it was 3 hours long. Awesome movie though, now that I look back at it.

4) Big Fat Liar - 2002
Loved Malcolm in the Middle as a kid, so when I heard Frankie Muniz was starring in this, I dragged my mom to see this lol

5) Hey Arnold the Movie - 2002
What can I say? Grew up watching Hey Arnold as a kid and when I heard they were making a theatrical movie, I also dragged my parents to see this lol Looking back at it now though, it was kind of cheesy in a way.

6) Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - 2002
I put this movie here, because it was one of the best movies in the Harry Potter franchise in my opinion. It had a perfect balance of seriousness and the witty humor that the first Harry Potter movies were known for.

7) Spy Kids 3D - 2003
Not a big fan of Spy Kids, but for some reason, I was kind of mesmerized by the looks of this movie. As a kid, the 3D in this movie blew me away, not to mention I loved the designs of all the levels.

8. Cat in the Hat - 2003
This freaking movie XD I swear, I was pissing myself in the theater because I laughed so hard throughout this. Not joking, I came out with my pants a little wet and my mom asked "did you pee in your pants?" XD

9) Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - 2005
Not gonna lie, it was the first movie I cried in, mainly during the 3rd task scene. Even though I was 10 at the time, I felt the main character's pain of losing someone they knew. I also realized the Harry Potter movies from there just got a little darker and less witty.

10) Wallace and Gromit: Cruse of the Were Rabbit - 2005
When I heard it was created by the same guys who made Chicken Run, I had to see this. Also, I grew up watching Wallace and Gromit on VHS, so it was a childhood thing to me.

11) The Corpse Bride - 2005
Just like I said earlier, Chicken Run was the reason I developed a love for stop motion animation, so I had to see this. And it was directed by Tim Burton, so that was a bonus!

12) Batman Begins - 2005
My older brother dragged me to see this because he thought I was enjoyed this movie. And he be right :D It would've been more enjoyable if some douchebag wasn't on his phone. That kind of ruined it. His phone went off like 5 time during the movie. He even had the nerve to answer it DURING the movie. People started throwing popcorn at him and shouted at him to leave.

13) Eragon - 2006
I don't care what people say. I loved the book and I loved the movie just as much. My friend didn't like it though. He was a big fan of the book and watching this movie, he just got up and left. So I just sat there watching the movie by myself lol

14) Halloween - 2007
First horror movie I watched. Wasn't really scared, but the deaths in the movie kind of gave me nightmares lol It also the first time I seen lots of people walk out on the movie. Not sure why. I didn't think it was that bad. At least compared to Halloween 2, it wasn't bad.

15) The Simpsons Movie - 2007
Not only the first movie I watched with my entire family and friends, but the first the movie I watched, like, 10 times. It was hilarious! It was the loudest crowd I ever heard laughed during a movie. I don't think any movie I watched over the years topped it.

16) Sex Drive - 2008
First movie me and my friends tried to sneak into. We failed to sneak in, but my dad did buy the movie later on DVD, so I still got to watch it though lol I put it on this movie on the list because it was my first "naughty" movie.

17) Avatar - 2009
First movie I watched entering high school at the time and first time watching a movie with just me and my friends and not with my parents. Awesome movie and 3D was even better! It was pretty long though, and the movie ended up giving me a headache afterwards lol

18) Zombieland - 2009
I have to say, my love for zombie flicks actually came from Left 4 Dead. So when they made this movie, I had to see it. It was a great movie! Not so much for my friend, because he had horrible stomach pains and vomited all over the floor and the people sitting in front of us lol The people sitting in front of us were not happy and they demanded an apology.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince -2009
I cried so freaking hard when Dumbledore died. Not as hard as my friend did though. To kill one of the most beloved characters, just destroyed my friend lol He had to actually walk out and go the bathroom to dry his eyes out. It was a very good movie though. Surprised to was rated PG. I thought for sure it was gonna be rated PG-13.

Honorable mentions
Powerpuff Girls the Movie - 2002
YuGiOh the Movie - 2004
Spongebob the Movie - 2004
Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift - 2006
Spiderman 1, 2, and 3 - 2002, 2004, and 2007
Star Wars Episode 2 - 2002
The Dark Knight - 2008

Obviously there's a crap ton of movies I watched during the 2000s like Jimmy Neutron, Madagascar, Ice Age, Rush Hour, Hulk, etc., but these movies were the ones that stood out to me based on the kind of experience I had.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/05/18 at 2:38 pm

I had many a cinema experiences in the 2000s, but please can I tell of an experience in 2014. I was 20 minutes into "Boyhood" and a couple walked into the auditorium, stand down in the first available seats, fumbled around in their bags, and pulled out their 3D glasses and put them on, looked at others watching the film, noticing that no one else was wearing glasses, they quickly got up realising they were in the wrong film. 

Written By: Early2002 on 05/05/18 at 3:07 pm

I had many a cinema experiences in the 2000s, but please can I tell of an experience in 2014. I was 20 minutes into "Boyhood" and a couple walked into the auditorium, stand down in the first available seats, fumbled around in their bags, and pulled out their 3D glasses and put them on, looked at others watching the film, noticing that no one else was wearing glasses, they quickly got up realising they were in the wrong film.

LMAO!

Written By: Early2002 on 05/05/18 at 3:07 pm

1) Chicken Run - 2000
I loved Chicken Run as a kid! I was around 5 at the time when I saw it and I've always been a fan of stop motion animation ever since.

2) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - 2001
The same year I met my best friend and the first movie we watched together when I was in 1st grade and he was in 2nd grade. We became fans of Harry Potter ever since (not die hard, just casual) and watched every movie that came out in theaters.

3) Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring - 2001
I will say this: being 6 at the time, my mom and everyone else were surprised I watched the entire movie without following asleep, considering it was 3 hours long. Awesome movie though, now that I look back at it.

4) Big Fat Liar - 2002
Loved Malcolm in the Middle as a kid, so when I heard Frankie Muniz was starring in this, I dragged my mom to see this lol

5) Hey Arnold the Movie - 2002
What can I say? Grew up watching Hey Arnold as a kid and when I heard they were making a theatrical movie, I also dragged my parents to see this lol Looking back at it now though, it was kind of cheesy in a way.

6) Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - 2002
I put this movie here, because it was one of the best movies in the Harry Potter franchise in my opinion. It had a perfect balance of seriousness and the witty humor that the first Harry Potter movies were known for.

7) Spy Kids 3D - 2003
Not a big fan of Spy Kids, but for some reason, I was kind of mesmerized by the looks of this movie. As a kid, the 3D in this movie blew me away, not to mention I loved the designs of all the levels.

8. Cat in the Hat - 2003
This freaking movie XD I swear, I was pissing myself in the theater because I laughed so hard throughout this. Not joking, I came out with my pants a little wet and my mom asked "did you pee in your pants?" XD

9) Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - 2005
Not gonna lie, it was the first movie I cried in, mainly during the 3rd task scene. Even though I was 10 at the time, I felt the main character's pain of losing someone they knew. I also realized the Harry Potter movies from there just got a little darker and less witty.

10) Wallace and Gromit: Cruse of the Were Rabbit - 2005
When I heard it was created by the same guys who made Chicken Run, I had to see this. Also, I grew up watching Wallace and Gromit on VHS, so it was a childhood thing to me.

11) The Corpse Bride - 2005
Just like I said earlier, Chicken Run was the reason I developed a love for stop motion animation, so I had to see this. And it was directed by Tim Burton, so that was a bonus!

12) Batman Begins - 2005
My older brother dragged me to see this because he thought I was enjoyed this movie. And he be right :D It would've been more enjoyable if some douchebag wasn't on his phone. That kind of ruined it. His phone went off like 5 time during the movie. He even had the nerve to answer it DURING the movie. People started throwing popcorn at him and shouted at him to leave.

13) Eragon - 2006
I don't care what people say. I loved the book and I loved the movie just as much. My friend didn't like it though. He was a big fan of the book and watching this movie, he just got up and left. So I just sat there watching the movie by myself lol

14) Halloween - 2007
First horror movie I watched. Wasn't really scared, but the deaths in the movie kind of gave me nightmares lol It also the first time I seen lots of people walk out on the movie. Not sure why. I didn't think it was that bad. At least compared to Halloween 2, it wasn't bad.

15) The Simpsons Movie - 2007
Not only the first movie I watched with my entire family and friends, but the first the movie I watched, like, 10 times. It was hilarious! It was the loudest crowd I ever heard laughed during a movie. I don't think any movie I watched over the years topped it.

16) Sex Drive - 2008
First movie me and my friends tried to sneak into. We failed to sneak in, but my dad did buy the movie later on DVD, so I still got to watch it though lol I put it on this movie on the list because it was my first "naughty" movie.

17) Avatar - 2009
First movie I watched entering high school at the time and first time watching a movie with just me and my friends and not with my parents. Awesome movie and 3D was even better! It was pretty long though, and the movie ended up giving me a headache afterwards lol

18) Zombieland - 2009
I have to say, my love for zombie flicks actually came from Left 4 Dead. So when they made this movie, I had to see it. It was a great movie! Not so much for my friend, because he had horrible stomach pains and vomited all over the floor and the people sitting in front of us lol The people sitting in front of us were not happy and they demanded an apology.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince -2009
I cried so freaking hard when Dumbledore died. Not as hard as my friend did though. To kill one of the most beloved characters, just destroyed my friend lol He had to actually walk out and go the bathroom to dry his eyes out. It was a very good movie though. Surprised to was rated PG. I thought for sure it was gonna be rated PG-13.

Honorable mentions
Powerpuff Girls the Movie - 2002
YuGiOh the Movie - 2004
Spongebob the Movie - 2004
Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift - 2006
Spiderman 1, 2, and 3 - 2002, 2004, and 2007
Star Wars Episode 2 - 2002
The Dark Knight - 2008

Obviously there's a crap ton of movies I watched during the 2000s like Jimmy Neutron, Madagascar, Ice Age, Rush Hour, Hulk, etc., but these movies were the ones that stood out to me based on the kind of experience I had.

spiderman 2 is the golden standard to me for super hero flicks

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/06/18 at 8:14 am

Damn, that must’ve been embarrassing for them.  ;D ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/06/18 at 2:31 pm

I had many a cinema experiences in the 2000s, but please can I tell of an experience in 2014. I was 20 minutes into "Boyhood" and a couple walked into the auditorium, stand down in the first available seats, fumbled around in their bags, and pulled out their 3D glasses and put them on, looked at others watching the film, noticing that no one else was wearing glasses, they quickly got up realizing they were in the wrong film.

;D

Written By: GH1996 on 05/17/18 at 8:39 pm

Some movies that i saw in theatres the 00's (Ones that i can remember).. My cousins both worked at our local cineplex so we always got in free/discounts so i saw a lot of movies.

2000 - The Emperor's New Groove

2001 - Harry Potter & the Philosopher's Stone / Monsters, Inc.

2002 - Spider Man / Harry Potter & The Chamber of Secrets / Big Fat Liar

2003 - Spy Kids 3D / Finding Nemo / Agent Cody Banks

2004 - Shrek 2 / Harry Potter & The Prisoner of Azkaban / The Incredibles / Agent Cody Banks 2: Destination London / Spider Man 2

2005 - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire / The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe / Madagascar / King Kong

2006 - Cars / Open Season / The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift

2007 - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix / American Gangster / The Simpsons Movie

2008 - Step Brothers / Gran Torino / The Dark Knight Rises

2009 - Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince / Zombieland / The Blind Side / Paul Blart: Mall Cop

Written By: Slim95 on 05/26/18 at 9:18 pm

Speaking of movie theatres themselves, in the 2000s movie theatres didn't have to cool comfy leather reclining seats it has today. Plus they didn't have those Freestyle machines, self-serve kiosks (those came in the late 2000s) and the self serve popcorn butter stations. I think going to the movie theatres is actually a more fun and better experience today, even though the movies themselves are way suckier.

Written By: Howard on 05/27/18 at 2:43 pm

Speaking of movie theatres themselves, in the 2000s movie theatres didn't have to cool comfy leather reclining seats it has today. Plus they didn't have those Freestyle machines, self-serve kiosks (those came in the late 2000s) and the self serve popcorn butter stations. I think going to the movie theatres is actually a more fun and better experience today, even though the movies themselves are way suckier.

No Thank You, I'd rather sit in the comfort of my own house and watch Netflix with a small bottle of soda and a bag of hot buttered popcorn. ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...