inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: You Went To High School In The 00's If...cont'd

Written By: d90 on 05/08/18 at 12:35 am

You had a  new teacher born In the early 80s
You listened to music on your I pod during lunch
You knew a few classmates who had an iPhone.
You were told not to go on MySpace or Facebook on the school computer.
When dressing like an Emo was cool
You used "gay" to say that something sucks

Subject: Re: You Went To High School In The 00's If...cont'd

Written By: bchris02 on 05/09/18 at 1:29 am

You had a  new teacher born In the early 80s
You listened to music on your I pod during lunch
You knew a few classmates who had an iPhone.
You were told not to go on MySpace or Facebook on the school computer.
When dressing like an Emo was cool
You used "gay" to say that something sucks

This is pretty much the 2008-09 school year at the earliest.

I graduated in 2004.  I never had any super young teachers.  I had an MP3 CD walkman since my parents wouldn't buy me an iPod (and they weren't really that popular that far back).  Some students had cell phones but not every student did.  My parents wouldn't allow me to have one until college.  Emo was starting to become fashionable and people were talking about it but the dominant look for guys was still the preppy A&F look with khaki cargo pants that was popular during the early 2000s.  Senior year (the 2003-04 school year) more guys started growing their hair out.  I had a pretty good shag going that year with a nice swoop.  At my school, I don't remember openly gay kids being treated that bad.  However if you were straight or closeted (as I was) you didn't want to be accused of being gay.  There was a toxic masculinity and the standard was pretty high.  You had to walk, talk, dress the right way, and have the right hobbies to not be accused of being gay.  Kind of ironic that actual gay kids were treated better than straight guys that were feminine in any way.  MySpace was barely a thing the summer after I graduated. Xanga was more popular. I remember being banned from the school computers however because I checked my Yahoo email.  AIM was a definite nono.  Most of the school computers still had Windows 98 when I graduated.  A few had XP but they were special computers and not anybody could use them.

Written By: Mat1991 on 05/09/18 at 3:20 am

This can also apply for junior high.  :D

Classmates would write down their phone number or email address if they wanted to contact each other outside of school
People wrote "H.A.G.S." (Have a good summer) in your yearbook
There was a dress code policy against "tall tees"
"That's crunk" was frequently used for anything considered cool
Myspace was the place to coordinate house parties
Students in classrooms with computers would blow off time by checking their Myspace
Every other white boy in school either had a "wings" haircut, a faux-hawk, or if they were really badass, a real mohawk
Anything by the Pussycat Dolls made girls' inner hoe come out

Written By: yelimsexa on 05/09/18 at 6:50 am

This was the late '90s for me (known as "middle school" where I went).

Classmates would write down their phone number or email address if they wanted to contact each other outside of school
Phone yes, but most people didn't give out emails until high school for me
People wrote "H.A.G.S." (Have a good summer) in your yearbook Nope, they just wrote it out in full.
There was a dress code policy against "tall tees" Huh?
"That's crunk" was frequently used for anything considered cool That wasn't popular until I was in college.
Myspace was the place to coordinate house parties One again, not until college for me.
Students in classrooms with computers would blow off time by checking their Myspace See the above two.
Every other white boy in school either had a "wings" haircut, a faux-hawk, or if they were really badass, a real mohawk
It was Spice Girls back then for me, and even when they became popular, most girls/young women didn't follow them

I'd push that up to 2005-06, though with "cellphone" instead of iPhone. The youngest teacher I had in high school was born around the mid-70s, and I remember my physics teacher saying "Generation X".

Written By: 80sfan on 05/09/18 at 8:20 am

.....you remember crunk.  :(

Written By: Early2002 on 05/09/18 at 11:38 am

I graduated in 2004.  I never had any super young teachers.  I had an MP3 CD walkman since my parents wouldn't buy me an iPod (and they weren't really that popular that far back).  Some students had cell phones but not every student did.  My parents wouldn't allow me to have one until college.  Emo was starting to become fashionable and people were talking about it but the dominant look for guys was still the preppy A&F look with khaki cargo pants that was popular during the early 2000s.  Senior year (the 2003-04 school year) more guys started growing their hair out.  I had a pretty good shag going that year with a nice swoop.  At my school, I don't remember openly gay kids being treated that bad.  However if you were straight or closeted (as I was) you didn't want to be accused of being gay.  There was a toxic masculinity and the standard was pretty high.  You had to walk, talk, dress the right way, and have the right hobbies to not be accused of being gay.  Kind of ironic that actual gay kids were treated better than straight guys that were feminine in any way.  MySpace was barely a thing the summer after I graduated. Xanga was more popular. I remember being banned from the school computers however because I checked my Yahoo email.  AIM was a definite nono.  Most of the school computers still had Windows 98 when I graduated.  A few had XP but they were special computers and not anybody could use them.

Yeah I remember Myspace exploded October of that year, had you stayed for the next school year you would have seen it lol

We used proxys to get around to Myspace and aim in class

Written By: Dundee on 05/11/18 at 2:59 am

.....you remember crunk.  :(

https://media.giphy.com/media/12Ke5jWa1sSXUk/giphy.gif

8)

Written By: d90 on 05/11/18 at 12:58 pm

YouTube was blocked
Pimp was slang for cool
sagging was looked down up by teachers
Your teacher played music from between the 60s and the 80s
Students stole Ipods and Flip Phones

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/11/18 at 1:14 pm

Excuse my dumbass, but for like one second I thought this title meant "You went to high school inthe00s.com if"  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: christopher on 05/11/18 at 1:51 pm

You dressed hip hop in 2001-2002, yet in 2003 you got turbofolk/chalga makeover.
This is somewhat local in my country: In 2001-2002 rap and hip hop clothing were big, yet most of the same people turned to turbo folk music and the appropriate style of dressing by 2003. In Da Club was still big with this crowd but they no longer dressed hip hop.
We didn't have another resurgence of rap music until about 2011, but even since then very few people dress hip hop in Bulgaria, even if they listen to it. The look now is clean shaven and more in the lines of the stereotypical Eastern European macho meets Greek/Italian trendy guy. ;D

You remember Dexter's Lab. I also remember Dexter's Lab was still big.

You remember The OC. The OC was HUGE in my high school. :)

You gradated in the mid 2000s if you remember terrible prom music. I graduated in spring 2007 when music was at it's lowest - I mean they played Lucky You on my prom! 8-P

Written By: GH1996 on 05/15/18 at 6:24 pm

If you had an Ipod/mp3 & cell phone..

Written By: Wobo on 05/15/18 at 8:58 pm

YouTube was blocked
Pimp was slang for cool
sagging was looked down up by teachers
Your teacher played music from between the 60s and the 80s
Students stole Ipods and Flip Phones

Youtube is still blocked lmao.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/15/18 at 9:08 pm

Youtube is still blocked lmao.

The strange thing is YouTube was never blocked at my high school because we sometimes used it for certain purposes, but YouTube was blocked when I was in middle school tho, probably because it was still pretty young then. MySpace, Facebook and Twitter were always blocked tho. The thing is, people still used the internet through their phones without wi-fi so it didn't matter.

Written By: Wobo on 05/15/18 at 9:09 pm

The strange thing is YouTube was never blocked at my high school because we sometimes used it for certain purposes, but YouTube was blocked when I was in middle school tho, probably because it was still pretty young then. MySpace, Facebook and Twitter were always blocked tho. The thing is, people still used the internet through their phones without wi-fi so it didn't matter.

It's a struggle for me since i have no phone to watch youtube videos at school.
There's actually a software called psiphon, people always use it where i live to watch/unblock youtube on their school devices and if you are caught with it your device would be taken away for a week.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 05/17/18 at 3:44 pm

It was at my high school for a while because kids would watch fight videos.

Written By: GH1996 on 05/17/18 at 8:06 pm

I remember at our school it wasn't blocked for a few years until 2009 i think, for some reason it still worked on our ipod touches

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/18/18 at 10:01 am

I wasn't allowed to have a phone until after high school when I had first jobs. It came in handy though. Nobody had anything but a basic phone that just made calls and maybe had some games that came with it. Hell people with flip phones were uppity in my book!  ;D

Our school allowed you to check email and even go on Free arcade to pass the time. Chat rooms and of course XXX sites were a no no.

You were right about the toxic masculinity of the time. The word gay was thrown around too much and never meant anything nice.

People wrote "H.A.G.S." (Have a good summer) in your yearbook
There was a dress code policy against "tall tees"
"That's crunk" was frequently used for anything considered cool
Myspace was the place to coordinate house parties
Students in classrooms with computers would blow off time by checking their Myspace

My classmates would email and friends would send chain letter emails of jokes or those dumb pass it on or else messages. My senior year some classmates had Xanga and I'd check out their updates. MySpace wasn't big until the year I turned 20 or among those I knew at least.

Written By: christopher on 05/20/18 at 1:46 pm

- You were one of the last to remember that dial up tone. I miss that sound, it was so cool!
- You remember less hate speech on the Internet and less news and racism online (generally). Now there are far too many hate and racist sites.
- AOL, CompyServe, Prodigy Internet
- K9 Web protection - I still use it, it's the best filter for Internet addicts!
- You remember when Xtina was Dirrty
- When Kylie Minogue was a Slow Red-Blooded Woman who loved to eat Chocolate\
- When Britney claimed love Rock'n'roll, and Boys who were Toxic
- When Jewel looked uber hot and used her Intuition
- When Eminem wanted you to know what Name Is.

Check for new replies or respond here...