inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What do teenagers today think of teenagers of recent yesteryear?

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 05/20/18 at 2:56 am

I was revisiting some tunes that I used to hear on the radio on a regular basis.

You know tunes that you recognise but you never really knew who sang them?

Anyway this led me to Papa Roach "Last resort" with the music video from the year 2000.

Now, watching this video, I would have been only 10 back then.

However, I don't see a the culture being that different from my 18th teenage year in 2008 (apart from the technology) and I don't even see it being that different from today's (apart from even more technology).

https://youtu.be/20jvV-BPNSk Edit (it says "invalid youtube link" if I try to embed it)

Bear in mind a lot of the youngsters in this video would be in their late 30s-early 40s now. So when you youngsters of today see people that age, they could have been like the young adults in this video 18 years ago!

It must look so familiar and feel so weird for some of you guys to find the culture so similar in the year you were born.

I feel this when I watch a lot of music videos.

I think I have to watch something from the early 90s for it to look different in any way culturally.

Subject: Re: What do teenagers today think of teenagers of recent yesteryear?

Written By: ofkx on 05/20/18 at 10:11 pm

I don't see how the culture is the same ???. Teen culture in the year 2000 is extremely different than teen culture in 2018. It's like two different planets.
I'm very happy that I was a kid in the 2000s, not a teen. I hate the whole emo/punk culture that dominated the 2000s, and I'm glad I wasn't old enough to experience it.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 05/20/18 at 11:50 pm

I was kinda a teen in the 2000s since i turned 13 in 2009, but my perspective of being a teen comes from the hip hop perspective s ince i grew up in Black culture. Hip-hop fans today would look at late 00d rap as dated, but still would rock with it because the music was simple and the beat was something t to nood yoyr head to.

Written By: exodus08 on 05/21/18 at 11:13 am

I don't see how the culture is the same ???. Teen culture in the year 2000 is extremely different than teen culture in 2018. It's like two different planets.
I'm very happy that I was a kid in the 2000s, not a teen. I hate the whole emo/punk culture that dominated the 2000s, and I'm glad I wasn't old enough to experience it.

First of all not every teen was into the emo/punk culture. Second of all I'm glad you missed out because you didn't get to experience the greatness of being a 00s teen.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/21/18 at 11:21 am

First of all not every teen was into the emo/punk culture. Second of all I'm glad you missed out because you didn't get to experience the greatness of being a 00s teen.

Being a 2010’s teen is fun lol. We ain’t missing out on anything.  ;D

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/21/18 at 11:26 am

Actually, if you think about it, technically every single person on earth missed out on something because nobody alive right now remembers when planet earth was first forming.  ;D

Written By: exodus08 on 05/21/18 at 11:30 am

We all miss out on something. WWII and Vietnam War.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/21/18 at 11:39 am

Yeah, those are things that I'm glad I missed out on.

Would you want to have experienced them lol?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/21/18 at 11:40 am

I agree 100%.

I thought I was the only one who felt this way.

Written By: ofkx on 05/21/18 at 12:26 pm

Exactly :D.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 05/21/18 at 3:55 pm

I'm an 2010s teen to,  an early 10s teen but still a 10s teen nonetheless, and while I'm more of a 2000s guy I did enjoy being a teen in the early 10s because we were able to witness a rapid change in technology being more multimedia vs having to having to carry multiple devices in your pocket.

Written By: Wobo on 05/21/18 at 4:01 pm

I don't think about people who were teens in the 2000s.

Written By: deloresthegreat on 05/21/18 at 4:13 pm

I actually haven't met many people who were teens in the 2000s.  I have an older brother who grew up during the 2000s, but he wasn't a 2000s teen.

Most of you guys are either in college or the kind of adults that are young, but still not a parent to anyone my age (13.)  Based on what I've heard about you online (you're all Millennial's, eh?,) you seem to be very different from my generation.  You guys have an entirely different sense of humor and you guys obviously have VERY different memes.  I don't consider any of you "old," but I can definitely see the differences in our generations. 

Someone once described 2000s teens as "sad/emotionally upset" (a teacher on Reddit who had been teaching since the 90s described you like that.)  She told me that 90s teens seemed angst-y and yet happy and optimistic, 2000s teens seemed sad and "emo," and teens this decade seem like they're starting to give up on their education. 

I think your teen culture was pretty cool, but also kind of cringe-y if I'm being honest.  I really want some of the fashion in "Mean Girls" to make a return.  Every time I see a picture of a 2000s teen, I think that you guys' fashion looked kind of like an updated version of the 70s.  I can definitely see the 70s influence in 2000s teen culture and fashion, more than I can actually see the 80s influence.  "Emo" as a subculture seems kind of weird but it's also really interesting.  Your world seems like a very different one from mine, in terms of what you grew up with.  The movies seem modern for some reason starting from maybe... 2003 - I don't know why, but 90s movies look wildly different to me - and I can relate to you guys on some things, but like I said, our worlds are VERY different.

Written By: Wobo on 05/21/18 at 4:15 pm

I actually haven't met many people who were teens in the 2000s.  I have an older brother who grew up during the 2000s, but he wasn't a 2000s teen.

Most of you guys are either in college or the kind of adults that are young, but still not a parent to anyone my age (13.)  Based on what I've heard about you online (you're all Millennial's, eh?,) you seem to be very different from my generation.  You guys have an entirely different sense of humor and you guys obviously have VERY different memes.  I don't consider any of you "old," but I can definitely see the differences in our generations. 

Someone once described 2000s teens as "sad/emotionally upset" (a teacher on Reddit who had been teaching since the 90s described you like that.)  She told me that 90s teens seemed angst-y and yet happy and optimistic, 2000s teens seemed sad and "emo," and teens this decade seem like they're starting to give up on their education. 

I think your teen culture was pretty cool, but also kind of cringe-y if I'm being honest.  I really want some of the fashion in "Mean Girls" to make a return.  Every time I see a picture of a 2000s teen, I think that you guys' fashion looked kind of like an updated version of the 70s.  I can definitely see the 70s influence in 2000s teen culture and fashion, more than I can actually see the 80s influence.  "Emo" as a subculture seems kind of weird but it's also really interesting.  Your world seems like a very different one from mine, in terms of what you grew up with.  The movies seem modern for some reason starting from maybe... 2003 - I don't know why, but 90s movies look wildly different to me - and I can relate to you guys on some things, but like I said, our worlds are VERY different.

I would say most of my cousins are 2000s teens, my cousin who was born in 1995 turned 13 in December 2008 but she is mostly a 2010s teen and my other cousin who was born in 1988 who is defintely a 2000s teen.

Written By: Wobo on 05/21/18 at 4:17 pm

I would say most of my cousins are 2000s teens, my cousin who was born in 1995 turned 13 in December 2008 but she is mostly a 2010s teen and my other cousin who was born in 1988 who is defintely a 2000s teen.

But yeah i don't think of 2000s teens honestly my brother who was born in 1997 wasn't a 2000s teen since he turned 13 17 days into this decade.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/21/18 at 4:38 pm

I was kinda a teen in the 2000s since i turned 13 in 2009, but my perspective of being a teen comes from the hip hop perspective s ince i grew up in Black culture. Hip-hop fans today would look at late 00d rap as dated, but still would rock with it because the music was simple and the beat was something t to nood yoyr head to.

Me too, I was a teen in 2008 and 2009. But I wouldn't have wanted to be a teen in the mid and late '00s, but being a teen in the early '00s would have been awesome. But being a kid back then was good too.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/21/18 at 4:41 pm

First of all, not every teen was into the emo/punk culture.
This! It gets irritating when some people assume that every teenager in the 00s participated in the emo/punk culture. There was so much more than that.

I'm pleased that I was a kid in the 2000s, not a teen. I hate the whole emo/punk culture that dominated the 2000s, and I'm glad I wasn't old enough to experience it.
You do know that emo/punk culture wasn't the only trend that dominated the 2000s right?

Written By: ofkx on 05/21/18 at 5:32 pm

This! It gets irritating when some people assume that every teenager in the 00s participated in the emo/punk culture. There was so much more than that.
You do know that emo/punk culture wasn't the only trend that dominated the 2000s right?

I never said it was the only one, but it seems like it was the most popular, right?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/21/18 at 5:56 pm

I never said it was the only one, but it seems like it was the most popular, right?
Not really. A lot of the 00s culture dominated at the same time.

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/21/18 at 6:20 pm

I see people doing this a lot lol. That early 2000s punk culture though >>>>>>

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/21/18 at 7:21 pm

I see people doing this a lot lol. That early 2000s punk culture though >>>>>>
And they do the same thing with the 90s as well with Grunge. What they aren't aware of is that not only was everyone not interested in Grunge, it wasn't the most mainstream music genre either.

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/21/18 at 7:30 pm

And they do the same thing with the 90s as well with Grunge. What they aren't aware of is that not only was everyone not interested in Grunge, it wasn't the most mainstream music genre either.

Yeah, the 90s were one of the most diverse decades for music. R&B, Hip Hop/Rap, Grunge, Alternative Rock, Britpop, Pop and Pop Ballads, Pop Punk, Nu Metal. Lots of good stuff.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 05/21/18 at 7:41 pm

But yeah i don't think of 2000s teens honestly my brother who was born in 1997 wasn't a 2000s teen since he turned 13 17 days into this decade.

So he was born on the same day as Jake Paul?

Written By: Wobo on 05/21/18 at 7:43 pm

So he was born on the same day as Jake Paul?

Yeah it's a pretty stupid coincidence.

Written By: Howard on 05/22/18 at 7:23 am

I missed out on the disco era, I was only a little kid during that time.

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 05/27/18 at 3:04 am

I don't think about people who were teens in the 2000s.

That's...harsh :o

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 05/27/18 at 3:12 am

Interesting.

I guess I was never into any of the cultures/scenes which is why it always looks the same to me.

I was born in late '89 so I was 13-18 from 2003-2008.

The teenagers in that video would have been a few years older than even me, as such, I don't really consider the young adults in that video to be my generation.

I guess I am moving towards being an "early" millenial since the goal posts keep changing, whereas a few years ago I would have been a "core" millenial.

I still can't believe how young some of you are! That's a good post from someone who's 13. I was already 15 when you were born :o

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/27/18 at 4:26 am

Do you think about people who are teens in the 2010s?

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/27/18 at 4:31 am

You guys have an entirely different sense of humor and you guys obviously have VERY different memes.

I really would love to see an example of what you mean haha.

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 05/27/18 at 4:59 am

Do you think about people who are teens in the 2010s?

Yes I do. They aren't that different from my generation.

I see a lot of them when I am out doing day game around my local big town.

Things haven't really changed much.

The cultures still the same. Smart phones instead of flip phones, that's about it!

Written By: Wobo on 05/27/18 at 11:09 am

I don't say in my head "i wonder what teens were like in the 2000s" lmao

Written By: wixness on 05/28/18 at 9:33 am

I hate the hipster and "grown up" aesthetic of the 2010s that made fashion look gendered and the music bland. I wish I were a 2000s teen.

Written By: Dundee on 05/28/18 at 11:34 am

They had impressive baggy pants!

Written By: mwalker1996 on 05/28/18 at 12:46 pm

Well rainbow kinda gave her impression of an 08 teen when she said "A teen dressing emo and having a fliphone". Fliphones were still common at that point, but they were seen as less cool in favor of slider phones and Blackberries.

Written By: exodus08 on 05/28/18 at 6:42 pm

Well rainbow kinda gave her impression of an 08 teen when she said "A teen dressing emo and having a fliphone". Fliphones were still common at that point, but they were seen as less cool in favor of slider phones and Blackberries.

It depends on the individual I guess. Not every teen was into the emo scene. They were a small minority when I Graduated in '08. I loved Linkin Park, Gwen Stefani, Britney Spears, Nellly Furtado, Blink 182, Ne-Yo. Most people I knew favorited Alternative Rock, R&B, Techno, Pop Punk, bubblegum pop (still favourited by senior girls who grew up in '98-'02) Hip Hop.

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/28/18 at 8:07 pm

It depends on the individual I guess. Not every teen was into the emo scene. They were a small minority when I Graduated in '08. I loved Linkin Park, Gwen Stefani, Britney Spears, Nellly Furtado, Blink 182, Ne-Yo. Most people I knew favorited Alternative Rock, R&B, Techno, Pop Punk, bubblegum pop (still favourited by senior girls who grew up in '98-'02) Hip Hop.

Seriously, I don't know why people keep trying to push this, :most 2000s teens were emos" narrative. I only knew a few emo kids tbh and they had their own little clique.

Written By: exodus08 on 05/28/18 at 9:44 pm

Seriously, I don't know why people keep trying to push this, :most 2000s teens were emos" narrative. I only knew a few emo kids tbh and they had their own little clique.

I know right. It's like come on that's a big generalization.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/30/18 at 11:28 am

I envy American people who were old enough to be teens in the mid to late 1970s: Old enough to see Led Zeppelin live, young enough to not fight in Vietnam. I also envy mid 90s teens: Old enough to play Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem, to see the internet blossom before their eyes, young enough to not worry about any war. Obviously, this wasn't the case for other teens in the world.

I turned 13 in 2003. I think the pop culture of the time was pretty cool in hindsight. I didn't belong to any scene personally, but I think the rock of that era (Evanescence, Green Day) and the rap of that era (Eminem, 50 Cent) is superior to today's. I also miss a world without smartphones and twitter.

Check for new replies or respond here...