inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: If you're a 2000s kid, you are not allowed to enjoy your childhood.

Written By: piecesof93 on 06/20/18 at 11:28 pm

I'm sorry for making an entirely new thread for this but I can't find a similar thread atm. This is not a 90s kid hate thread or generalization, it's simply an observation.

As we all know, in the early 2010s, kids born in the 90s were not allowed to reminisce on parts of their childhood that took place in the late 90s. I know not all of you do this, but a considerable amount of 90s kids came at our throats for expressing love for the toys, shows,  music, etc we enjoyed in the late 90s.

Apparently this mentality is still going on in 2018, but in a different form. Now those born in the 90s cannot reminisce on pop culture from the early 2000s either. While scrolling through some comments from a 2001 Ludacris video, I saw someone around my age comment "this used to be my jam when I was like 8!" And a gang of 90s kids who were teenagers in the early 2000s, had to come in and chastise the guy with comments like "you don't know anything about this," "you're a baby" "if you were 8 when this dropped this definitely was not your jam."  Essentially implying we were too young to enjoy music from 2001.

This is not the only video where I've seen this type of behavior. I've also seen it on other music videos and other things from the early 2000s as well. Just because I was kid doesn't mean I listened to toddler tunes or kiddie music and tv shows. I listened to mainstream music and watched MTV.

With that being said, if you were born in the 90s, you're officially unable to enjoy your childhood at all. This especially applies to those of us born in the early to mid 90s. We can't enjoy stuff from the late 90s and we can't enjoy stuff from the early 2000s (although we stopped being kids by the mid 2000s). That means we aren't allowed to talk about our childhoods at all if it doesn't involve toddler stuff. Guess that means 90s kids are the only ones who get to love stuff from when they were children  ;D :kanyeshrug:
https://cdn.flipsnack.com/collections/uploads/fsdufbfsacjldbqc

Subject: Re: If you're a 2000s kid, you are not allowed to enjoy your childhood.

Written By: Wobo on 06/20/18 at 11:39 pm

And if you're born in the 2000s you'll be told that you had the worst childhood and being told that "i feel bad for you" and also being told that your childhood was just tablets and phones in a nutshell.

Subject: Re: If you're a 2000s kid, you are not allowed to enjoy your childhood.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/20/18 at 11:45 pm

Millennium I don't blame you for making this thread. I brought up this topic up many times when it comes to how our childhoods are always being dictated by 80's born's on how they think our childhoods, and they are the biggest hypocrites ever when you could also say they weren't even old enough to experience a lot of the mainstream culture from the 90's (like 60's and 70's born's did) yet they claim it all the time  ;D, and speaking of your username, this also proves that millennials are the most divided generation ever.

Written By: Dundee on 06/21/18 at 5:40 am

I hate this and this mentality in general. It's already too bad that many people are completely unable to express their nostalgia without having the desire of showing arrogance against people younger than them. But 90s kids are a special kind of evil as every era they were young in belong to them and only to them, bashing the rest with "you were too young" arguments left and right. I definitely noticed now that the early 2000s are hip and cool to claim, people immediately started to put boundaries on which birthyears are able or not to claim them as their childhood while it's a freaking 3-4 years period...

I always tend to see this image of comparing 90s kids with kids of today, where the 90s kids are happy with all the toys for them and the kids of today being very ungrateful despite all the technology they have at hand. Looking at the general attitude of them on the internet, I actually think the otherway around is more accurate.

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/21/18 at 8:34 am

Haha you were supposed to log into your account and counter them. Heck if I see it, I plan to.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/21/18 at 9:31 am

To be fair a lot of 90s borns called themselves 90s kids just because they remember 1999 or that they were alive in the 90s.  I do see this a lot with older songs from our childhood tho. I see a lot of 2000s borns comment on songs from the 2000s as well but nobody bash them for being too young to enjoy.  Not saying 10s kids have it better than us but you do have a lot of ageism on youtube.

Written By: 2001 on 06/21/18 at 11:22 am

While you were popping the zits off your pizza face and crying in the high school bathroom listening to Linkin Park, I was getting bitches and smacking hoes left and right at the age of 7.

What you should've said, lol.

Written By: wixness on 06/21/18 at 2:10 pm

I believe this statement is true because this has been a decade with rather forgettable pop culture in many people's eyes. This was the decade that emo started off and mostly took place in; most memorable cartoons were action shows (e.g. Teen Titans, Ben 10, Winx Club, Kim Possible, Totally Spies!, Xiaolin Showdown etc.) and music otherwise had this rather sad feel to it. This has also been a decade of short-lived technologies, such as CDs and DVDs - the technology was surprisingly backwards in some respects. Also, this was the first decade when terrorism got to developed countries apparently. I'm sad it's died such a quick death.

Written By: piecesof93 on 06/21/18 at 2:58 pm

I believe this statement is true because this has been a decade with rather forgettable pop culture in many people's eyes. This was the decade that emo started off and mostly took place in; most memorable cartoons were action shows (e.g. Teen Titans, Ben 10, Winx Club, Kim Possible, Totally Spies!, Xiaolin Showdown etc.) and music otherwise had this rather sad feel to it. This has also been a decade of short-lived technologies, such as CDs and DVDs.

I completely disagree. This only describes one aspect of the 2000s and it mostly pertains to the mid 2000s.

Written By: piecesof93 on 06/21/18 at 3:04 pm

To be fair a lot of 90s borns called themselves 90s kids just because they remember 1999 or that they were alive in the 90s.  I do see this a lot with older songs from our childhood tho. I see a lot of 2000s borns comment on songs from the 2000s as well but nobody bash them for being too young to enjoy.  Not saying 10s kids have it better than us but you do have a lot of ageism on youtube.

This thread addresses 90s kids' attempts to "claim" the early 2000s as well as the 90s. How can you claim people such as myself were too young to enjoy pop culture when you claim you were able to enjoy pop culture in the 90s at the same age? Also, the early 2000s is literally my childhood. It's ridiculous lol. However, like I said, not all them act this way. My brother is a 90s kid and doesn't act like that.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/21/18 at 3:33 pm

I completely disagree. This only describes one aspect of the 2000s and it mostly pertains to the mid 2000s.

True but the mid 2000s was the peak of the 2000s, both culturally and politically.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/21/18 at 4:01 pm

This thread addresses 90s kids' attempts to "claim" the early 2000s as well as the 90s. How can you claim people such as myself were too young to enjoy pop culture when you claim you were able to enjoy pop culture in the 90s at the same age? Also, the early 2000s is literally my childhood. It's ridiculous lol. However, like I said, not all them act this way. My brother is a 90s kid and doesn't act like that.
I'm just saying that you have 90s borns act like there so 90s when they only remember tail end of it. I see tons of people my age post "only 90s kids remember" on Facebook when they were like watching Barney back then. 80s borns can come off arrogant (part of the reason 90s nostalgia gotten so toxic over the years) but at least they fully experienced the 90s . It's just annoying when you have 1999 borns calling themselves 90s kids when they were barely born in that decade (you do see that a lot on YouTube as well). All I'm saying being a 90s kids is different from being a 90s baby, one had spend their elementary school years in that decade decade while the latter was only in diapers during the decade. I have a ton of nostalgia from the early 00s as well, I still remember hearing Nelly hot in here in 2002. You deserve to be nostalgic about the early 00s since you were at your peak childhood (moreso than me). I just feel that people are so obsessed with calling themselves a kid of a certain decade they forget about the "kid" aspect like actually being in grade school and doing kid stuff versus just being alive.

Written By: piecesof93 on 06/21/18 at 4:19 pm

I'm just saying that you have 90s borns act like there so 90s when they only remember tail end of it. I see tons of people my age post "only 90s kids remember" on Facebook when they were like watching Barney back then. 80s borns can come off arrogant (part of the reason 90s nostalgia gotten so toxic over the years) but at least they fully experienced the 90s . It's just annoying when you have 1999 borns calling themselves 90s kids when they were barely born in that decade (you do see that a lot on YouTube as well). All I'm saying being a 90s kids is different from being a 90s baby, one had spend their elementary school years in that decade decade while the latter was only in diapers during the decade. I have a ton of nostalgia from the early 00s as well, I still remember hearing Nelly hot in here in 2002. You deserve to be nostalgic about the early 00s since you were at your peak childhood (moreso than me). I just feel that people are so obsessed with calling themselves a kid of a certain decade they forget about the "kid" aspect like actually being in grade school and doing kid stuff versus just being alive.

I agree, that's just not what this thread is about lol.

True but the mid 2000s was the peak of the 2000s, both culturally and politically.

True but it's a false representation of the 2000s as a whole. People do the same with the 90s by only pointing out grunge, gangsta rap, etc as the epitome of pop culture from that era. It's just much more to it than that but it gets overshadowed everytime.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/21/18 at 4:29 pm

I would say the peak of the 2000's culturally and politically were 2003-2007 also known as the core 2000's, but 2004-2006 were in the middle of that range so that's fair enough.

Millennium and especially Slim might have a different opinion about this lol.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/21/18 at 4:40 pm

You know why 90's kids claim the early 2000's as the 90's? Because they don't want to associate any part of their lives with the 2000's, and they don't want to admit they enjoyed SOME part of the 2000's even though the early 2000's is still part of the 2000's, so what they'll do is say "well you 2000's kids only experienced 2004-2009, the BAD part of the 2000's hahahaha so we're going to claim 2000-2003 as ours!" and this is complete BS and it's annoying. Even if 2000's kids were too young to experience the mainstream culture of news, television (not kids), and music, then those 90's kids are the biggest hypocrites because every time they talk about the 90's they claim the mainstream music and TV shows as well. 80's kids (70's born's) could say that 90's kids were too young to watch the Simpsons, remember the OJ Simpson trial, watch Saved By the Bell or Family Matters, etc. because they were kids doing kiddy type stuff, yet 90's kids claim those type of stuff as well, so they can't tell any of us 2000's kids what we can claim and reminisce throughout our decade. Now honestly the majority of kids of their main decade only pay attention to the mid part and the late part, because the early part still has a lot of influences and culture from the previous decade. Even though the majority of my peak childhood happened in the mid 2000's, thankfully I can remember 2001-2003 very well especially the pop culture of 2002 & 2003 so I have a perspective how most of the 2000's were like (2000 is the only year I don't remember well).

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/21/18 at 5:00 pm

You know why 90's kids claim the early 2000's as the 90's? Because they don't want to associate any part of their lives with the 2000's, and they don't want to admit they enjoyed SOME part of the 2000's even though the early 2000's is still part of the 2000's, so what they'll do is say "well you 2000's kids only experienced 2004-2009, the BAD part of the 2000's hahahaha so we're going to claim 2000-2003 as ours!" and this is complete BS and it's annoying. Even if 2000's kids were too young to experience the mainstream culture of news, television (not kids), and music, then those 90's kids are the biggest hypocrites because every time they talk about the 90's they claim the mainstream music and TV shows as well. 80's kids (70's born's) could say that 90's kids were too young to watch the Simpsons, remember the OJ Simpson trial, watch Saved By the Bell or Family Matters, etc. because they were kids doing kiddy type stuff, yet 90's kids claim those type of stuff as well, so they can't tell any of us 2000's kids what we can claim and reminisce throughout our decade. Now honestly the majority of kids of their main decade only pay attention to the mid part and the late part, because the early part still has a lot of influences and culture from the previous decade. Even though the majority of my peak childhood happened in the mid 2000's, thankfully I can remember 2001-2003 very well especially the pop culture of 2002 & 2003 so I have a perspective how most of the 2000's were like (2000 is the only year I don't remember well).
Preach man, this whole early 00s nostalgia  completely dismisses the other parts of the 00s like people are calling 2005 an early 00s year when 2005 is like halfway between 2000-2010. With the 90's people acknowledged the early, mid and late 90s but when it comes to 200s nostalgia people only wanna say early 00s when discussing things from that decade.

Written By: piecesof93 on 06/21/18 at 5:07 pm

I still remember hearing Nelly hot in here in 2002.

btw 2002 may be my favorite year of the early 2000s. The only thing is it didn't have That's so Raven but I revisited a lot of music and albums I used to listen to then and man so much good music came out that year. :D :D I might make a thread on it but I listened to Hip-Hop and RnB the most. I think 2002 may be the best year for  music (imo) in the early 2000s with 2003 following after that. A lot of the music just feels so nostalgic and has a summer vibe to it. Like you're spending the summer with your friends in Miami or playing ball in New York.

@mqg96 Right. They know that the early 2000s was heavily influenced by the 90s and so they try to claim that as well lmao. And you're spot on. I've seen them say "if you can't remember watching saved by the bell (and not talking about the college years) then you aren't a 90s kid." College years began airing in 1993 and lasted a year so many of the 90s kids were around ages 6-7. The ages many of them claim is too young to experience pop culture.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/21/18 at 6:22 pm

Be glad that you all weren't here 6-7 years ago when the "90s kids" debates were all the rage. People were getting so worked up about it that some of them actually got banned. It was one of the most trivial and irritating things anyone could possibly argue about.

Its like, "Congratulations, you were born before 1993 and you could remember the 1990s so that makes you a true 90s kid. Would you like your participation trophy now?" ::)

Written By: Dundee on 06/21/18 at 6:45 pm

Be glad that you all weren't here 6-7 years ago when the "90s kids" debates were all the rage. People were getting so worked up about it that some of them actually got banned. It was one of the most trivial and irritating things anyone could possibly argue about.

Its like, "Congratulations, you were born before 1993 and you could remember the 1990s so that makes you a true 90s kid. Would you like your participation trophy now?" ::)
Hahahaha, that's why I hate all this kids crap. Like do people really think their lives are fulfilled because of a bunch of shows they watched or they had more less-developed technology ;D? Like how more superficial can you be?
I don't have a problem with nostalgia itself (myself being sometimes very nostalgic), but the whole constant claiming hogfest and the "I LIVED IN GREAT TIMES YOU ABSOLUTELY AND TOTALLY MISSED OUT HAHAHAHA" is simply toxic meandering.

But to be fair I still see it nowadays in new forms like "hurr durr I lived in a pre-Iphone world, look how cool I am. I knew a world without hashtags or snapchat" like ::)

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/21/18 at 6:59 pm

Holy. I just gave an idea.

Hit 'em with the great "You're old." quote. Not only would they look more like idiots, they'd instantly get tedious of it.

Pass the judgment with one you already know is true.

Written By: Wobo on 06/21/18 at 7:08 pm

Lol damn, did inthe00s fall victim to the wrath of 90s kids in the early 2010s?

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 06/21/18 at 7:47 pm

Yes. It was brutal back in those days ;D.

Be glad you guys were spared from that absurd 'kid/decadelolgy' crap.

Written By: Wobo on 06/21/18 at 7:50 pm

I was a child when this happened lol, i was 6-9 in the early 2010s.

Written By: piecesof93 on 06/21/18 at 7:56 pm

Well, this wasn't the only place where that happened. It was literally all over the internet lol.

Written By: Dundee on 06/21/18 at 8:02 pm

Well, this wasn't the only place where that happened. It was literally all over the internet lol.
IKR, the internet was barely usable around 2013-2014

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/21/18 at 9:35 pm

^What ZeldaFan said.

It got so bad that, around that time, I was at home celebrating Christmas with my family, and I was sitting at a table playing cards with my nephews and my niece (and their SO's) who were all born between 1988 and 1993 and were still in college and high school. I asked them if people their age ever got into arguments about whether or not they were "90's kids" and they all said, "Uhhh, no..." and looked at me like I was out of my mind.  ;D

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/22/18 at 7:07 pm

^What ZeldaFan said.

It got so bad that, around that time, I was at home celebrating Christmas with my family, and I was sitting at a table playing cards with my nephews and my niece (and their SO's) who were all born between 1988 and 1993 and were still in college and high school. I asked them if people their age ever got into arguments about whether or not they were "90's kids" and they all said, "Uhhh, no..." and looked at me like I was out of my mind.  ;D

haha. I guess I just wasn't using the internet a lot back then because I honestly don't remember the Great Internet 90s Kids War of 2013.

All I gotta say is one day everyone will stop caring about what kind of kid you were so enjoy even being thought about while it lasts.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 06/22/18 at 7:19 pm

haha. I guess I just wasn't using the internet a lot back then because I honestly don't remember the Great Internet 90s Kids War of 2013.

All I gotta say is one day everyone will stop caring about what kind of kid you were so enjoy even being thought about while it lasts.

CapoBayPirate, Black Panther, and I were unfortunately involved in it back in 2012.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/22/18 at 8:33 pm

I got into some few 90s kids debate with people in real life but most people don't care about decadeology it just mostly an Internet thing.

Written By: Star Struck on 06/26/18 at 1:00 am

CapoBayPirate, Black Panther, and I were unfortunately involved in it back in 2012.

I was also a part of it, but on a different forum. Don't go to IGN. Some of the people I talked to about the 90s kid debate were complete douchebags. I wasn't even claiming myself as a 90s kid. I was just saying it's not right to use childhood nostalgia to act superior.

I'm glad the 90s kid debate died down. I just can't wait for the 2000s kid debate. Oh how I'm gonna dread the day that comes lol (though I've already seen a few debates in YouTube comment section)

Written By: Wobo on 06/26/18 at 1:04 am

I was also a part of it, but on a different forum. Don't go to IGN. Some of the people I talked to about the 90s kid debate were complete douchebags. I wasn't even claiming myself as a 90s kid. I was just saying it's not right to use childhood nostalgia to act superior.

I'm glad the 90s kid debate died down. I just can't wait for the 2000s kid debate. Oh how I'm gonna dread the day that comes lol (though I've already seen a few debates in YouTube comment section)

I just got in a argument with a 1998 born about the 2000s kid debate.

Written By: piecesof93 on 06/26/18 at 1:09 am

Never seen anybody actually care about this in real life

Written By: Wobo on 06/26/18 at 1:10 am

I'm talking about on the internet.

Written By: Star Struck on 06/26/18 at 12:37 pm

It's mainly on the internet. I don't think I've seen anyone debate about this in real life.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/26/18 at 3:09 pm

It's mainly on the internet. I don't think I've seen anyone debate about this in real life.

As intense and angry as the arguments got here, I figured there were people who were getting into barroom brawls over whether or not they were "90s kids."  ;D

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 06/26/18 at 3:25 pm

As intense and angry as the arguments got here, I figured there were people who were getting into barroom brawls over whether or not they were "90s kids."   ;D

I'm pretty sure that has happened before.

Written By: 90s Guy on 06/26/18 at 8:46 pm

I was born in 1990 and my earliest memories are from 1993 and the core of my childhood memories is from 1994 to 1998. Am I a "90s kid"?

Written By: Wobo on 06/26/18 at 8:48 pm

I was born in 1990 and my earliest memories are from 1993 and the core of my childhood memories is from 1994 to 1998. Am I a "90s kid"?

I think yes you would be a 90s kid plus you were a teen for the rest of the 2000s.

Written By: piecesof93 on 06/26/18 at 9:28 pm

Yes, but like I said, I'm not trying to bash you guys. It's just what happens.

Written By: Dundee on 06/30/18 at 4:32 pm

I was born in 2011 and my earliest memories are from 2014 and the core of my childhood memories is from 2015 to 2019. Am I a "80s kid"?

Please say yes

Written By: piecesof93 on 06/30/18 at 4:43 pm

I was born in 2011 and my earliest memories are from 2014 and the core of my childhood memories is from 2015 to 2019. Am I a "80s kid"?

Please say yes

I don't get the need for this sarcastic comment lol. He was simply asking a question.  ???

He doesn't even really need others to validate his stance as a 90s kid. He was born in '90 and should have plenty of memories from the 90s.

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/30/18 at 5:26 pm

Please say yes

I was born in 2021 and my earliest memories are from 2024 and the core of my childhood memories is from 2025 to 2029. Am I a "80s kid"?

please say yes

Written By: Dundee on 06/30/18 at 6:02 pm

I don't get the need for this sarcastic comment lol. He was simply asking a question.  ???

But I too am simply asking a question lol. I don't get the need to see sarcasm where there isn't ???

I was born in 2021 and my earliest memories are from 2024 and the core of my childhood memories is from 2025 to 2029. Am I a "80s kid"?

please say yes

I would say yes!

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 07/02/18 at 9:59 am

Even as someone born in 1999, I sometimes feel as if I can't enjoy my own childhood by other "2000's kids".

I'm not really a target in the eyes of "90's kids" and "early 2000's kids". When I read Internet comments, it was usually those born between 1995 and 1997 that would talk about how their childhoods were vastly superior and drastically different compared to those born in 1999.

Written By: piecesof93 on 07/02/18 at 10:05 am

Even as someone born in 1999, I sometimes feel as if I can't enjoy my own childhood by other "2000's kids".

I'm not really a target in the eyes of "90's kids" and "early 2000's kids". When I read Internet comments, it was usually those born between 1995 and 1997 that would talk about how their childhoods were vastly superior and drastically different compared to those born in 1999.

In all honesty, it's because they want to be grouped with people from 1990 - 1994 instead of 1998 - 2002. They'll probably calm down as more time passes.

Written By: Wobo on 07/02/18 at 12:01 pm

In all honesty, it's because they want to be grouped with people from 1990 - 1994 instead of 1998 - 2002. They'll probably calm down as more time passes.

I feel like this happens to 2003-2005 borns except that they're old school 2000s kids wannabes.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/02/18 at 3:07 pm

Yes, you are! People who tell others their childhood was awful can eat a brick.

Even as someone born in 1999, I sometimes feel as if I can't enjoy my childhood by other "2000's kids".

I'm not a target in the eyes of "90's kids" and "early 2000's kids". When I read Internet comments, it was usually those born between 1995 and 1997 that would talk about how their childhoods were vastly superior and drastically different compared to those born in 1999.
Idk why they did that. ::) Theirs wasn't that different from yours. besides, you all would have grown up with things such as Spongebob/00s nickelodeon, Jetix, 00s CN, and GBA/SP/NDS/PSPs.

Written By: Star Struck on 07/04/18 at 11:14 pm

I think it's because they want to be associated with older people. It happens when you get older. Just give it time. You guys are only 19, haven't hit your 20s yet, while people born in 1995 are 23. They're basically almost a part of the mid 20s cohort (92-94 babies). 23 is closer to mid 20s than 18-19. So don't get upset if some act this way (weird because I haven't met anyone who acts like this). It happens. Most people 23-26 don't want to be associated 18-19 year olds. Not sure why, but I guess that's what happens when you get older.

Written By: Wobo on 07/04/18 at 11:17 pm

I think it's because they want to be associated with older people. It happens when you get older. Just give it time. You guys are only 19, haven't hit your 20s yet, while people born in 1995 are 23. They're basically almost a part of the mid 20s cohort (92-94 babies). 23 is closer to mid 20s than 18-19. So don't get upset if some act this way (weird because I haven't met anyone who acts like this). It happens. Most people 23-26 don't want to be associated 18-19 year olds. Not sure why, but I guess that's what happens when you get older.

Oh i see, i see 2009 borns as still really young children honestly since they haven't hit the age of 10 yet but my post isn't related to the thread though.

Written By: Star Struck on 07/04/18 at 11:27 pm

It happens when you get older. It's not so much the nostalgia that's the problem. It's that 1999 babies are still technically teenagers at 19. 1995 babies are 23, so they're almost a part of the mid 20s cohort aka, 92-94 babies. Although it's not a huge age gap, a lot can happen to someone's maturity and mentality between 19 and 23. That's just me though. You're right. I give it time. Once 1999 babies hit 21, it will be different. 1995 and 1999 babies also grew up on similar childhoods too. I'll say this though: I find it puzzling as to why 99 babies can relate to 95 babies, but not 01-03 babies, who are only 2-3 years younger than them.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 07/05/18 at 12:06 am

It happens when you get older. It's not so much the nostalgia that's the problem. It's that 1999 babies are still technically teenagers at 19. 1995 babies are 23, so they're almost a part of the mid 20s cohort aka, 92-94 babies. Although it's not a huge age gap, a lot can happen to someone's maturity and mentality between 19 and 23. That's just me though. You're right. I give it time. Once 1999 babies hit 21, it will be different. 1995 and 1999 babies also grew up on similar childhoods too. I'll say this though: I find it puzzling as to why 99 babies can relate to 95 babies, but not 01-03 babies, who are only 2-3 years younger than them.
Yeah that always weirded me out on the forum sites. Just a few years ago I would consider 99 borns as the start of Gen Z since they were too young to remember Y2K and 9/11, but since their 18/19 and the youngest 90s borns they feel more kin to mid 90s borns than early 00s borns. Just how back in 2014-2016 most of us mid 90s babies would've felt more kin to early 90s babies, even tho we were too young to call ourselves 90s kids.  With that said, I see a few 99 babies on here that call themselves Gen Zers since some have just graduated high school.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 07/05/18 at 2:31 am

I'll say this though: I find it puzzling as to why 99 babies can relate to 95 babies, but not 01-03 babies, who are only 2-3 years younger than them.

Speaking as someone born in 1999, I think a major reason for that is because many of us have consistent/vivid memories of the Early 2000s, which is something we share in common with Mid '90s babies. People start to form crystal-clear memories around 3/4 years of age and we started Pre-School in 2003, so we were old enough to at least get a decent understanding of what the Early 2000s were truly like, even if we only caught the "tail-end" of them. I am nostalgic for the Early 2000s in quite a number of ways and i'm sure other people my age would be in some way as well.

Of course, that's not to say that we can't relate with people born between 2001-2003. I would consider people born in 2001 to be apart of my core age-group and 02'ers probably would be as well, it's just that i haven't really had any interactions with people born after 2001.

With that said, I see a few 99 babies on here that call themselves Gen Zers since some have just graduated high school.

I still think opinion is relatively split when it comes to identifying with either the Millennials or Gen Z. As you know, I personally think of myself as being a Y/Z Cusp and i'm pretty sure T-Rex and Black Panther do as well (please correct me if i'm wrong). In the major research project I did for Year 12, I asked people what generation they identify with and out of the 13 people (born in 1999) who responded, half of them couldn't identity with Gen Z. Not that it really matters anyway.

Written By: CupidTheStupid on 07/05/18 at 6:32 pm

My boyfriend was born in 1999 & I was born in 2002. We relate pretty well, in fact, he grew up on the same cartoons, games, & consoles I did.

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/05/18 at 6:38 pm

My boyfriend was born in 1999 & I was born in 2002. We relate pretty well, in fact, he grew up on the same cartoons, games, & consoles I did.

I would personally consider myself to have grown up with 1997-2007 borns, so that's 5 years older and 5 years younger than me, since I was in elementary school with people born between that time frame at some point. People born in 1997 were in 5th grade when I was in Kindergarten, and people born in 2007 were in Kindergarten when I was in 5th grade, so it makes sense.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/05/18 at 7:45 pm

I would personally consider myself to have grown up with 1997-2007 borns, so that's 5 years older and 5 years younger than me, since I was in elementary school with people born between that time frame at some point. People born in 1997 were in 5th grade when I was in Kindergarten, and people born in 2007 were in Kindergarten when I was in 5th grade, so it makes sense.

I just realized I had just hit middle school by the time you were in Kindergarten and you were in 6th grade during my senior year of high school. You're a year older than my 2nd sister (who was born in January 2003) but still 4 years younger than my first sister (who was born in August 1998). All my 1st cousins on my mom's side were born between 1994 and 1999, but all my 1st cousins on my dad's side were born between 2005 and 2015.

Written By: Star Struck on 07/06/18 at 4:38 pm

I just realized I had just hit middle school by the time you were in Kindergarten and you were in 6th grade during my senior year of high school. You're a year older than my 2nd sister (who was born in January 2003) but still 4 years younger than my first sister (who was born in August 1998). All my 1st cousins on my mom's side were born between 1994 and 1999, but all my 1st cousins on my dad's side were born between 2005 and 2015.

I'm starting to realize that too. Well, I was in 7th grade by the time Rainbowz started Kindergarten. And by the time Rainbowz was in 6th grade, I already graduated high school and started college. I have a pretty big family. Most of my siblings and cousins were born between 1987-1996. Three of them were born between 1987-1989 and six of them (including me) were born from 1992-1996.

Written By: Star Struck on 07/06/18 at 4:43 pm

That's nice! I'm friends with this girl I really like. She's 25 and I'm 23 and we relate pretty well with the stuff we grew up with.

Written By: Encoder319 on 07/06/18 at 11:02 pm

I don't think it's necessarily about wanting to be "associated with older people" as much as it is simply a desire to be taken more seriously, as 18-19-year-olds are generally viewed as being immature brats. Can you really blame a 26-year-old for not wanting to be grouped with people fresh out of high school? If not for the maturity (or lack thereof) aspect, how about the fact that an 8-year age gap is quite significant? Even when the 18-year-old turns 21, you're still talking about two different life stages. It's nothing personal; it's just the way it is.

But I also think that 1995-97 people do in fact relate more to the experiences of those just a few years older than them. In fact, this is probably the case with most people since our elders are supposed to serve as "role models" we look up to and want to emulate.

Written By: Star Struck on 07/07/18 at 1:42 am

I don't think it's necessarily about wanting to be "associated with older people" as much as it is simply a desire to be taken more seriously, as 18-19-year-olds are generally viewed as being immature brats. Can you really blame a 26-year-old for not wanting to be grouped with people fresh out of high school? If not for the maturity (or lack thereof) aspect, how about the fact that an 8-year age gap is quite significant? Even when the 18-year-old turns 21, you're still talking about two different life stages. It's nothing personal; it's just the way it is.

But I also think that 1995-97 people do in fact relate more to the experiences of those just a few years older than them. In fact, this is probably the case with most people since our elders are supposed to serve as "role models" we look up to and want to emulate.

That's true. I remembered being 18-19 years old, most of my family members would always treat me like a kid and would not stop babying me around. Now at 23, everyone is expecting me take life seriously now, which I get. Looking back at 18-19, I can't believe I thought I knew everything about being an adult. My brother, who just turned 30, would always tell me the world doesn't revolve around you. I'm starting to realize what that means now lol Wow, I've changed so much since I was 18.

Anyways, I understand why a 26 year old wouldn't want to be associated with 18-19 year olds. They are in different stages of life right now. It's weird being 23. You're right in the middle of your early and mid 20s. I know I'm getting older because a lot of my friends in their mid 20s have their degrees or talking about marriage. I have my degree, but I never had a girlfriend lol

Written By: mwalker1996 on 07/07/18 at 12:16 pm

That's true. I remembered being 18-19 years old, most of my family members would always treat me like a kid and would not stop babying me around. Now at 23, everyone is expecting me take life seriously now, which I get. Looking back at 18-19, I can't believe I thought I knew everything about being an adult. My brother, who just turned 30, would always tell me the world doesn't revolve around you. I'm starting to realize what that means now lol Wow, I've changed so much since I was 18.

Anyways, I understand why a 26 year old wouldn't want to be associated with 18-19 year olds. They are in different stages of life right now. It's weird being 23. You're right in the middle of your early and mid 20s. I know I'm getting older because a lot of my friends in their mid 20s have their degrees or talking about marriage. I have my degree, but I never had a girlfriend lol
That's what happens when you grow up coddled. I know when I was in my late teens I kinda felt like I was ready, but I knew quickly I wasn't quite ready. It's the whole "I'm trying to prove myself" mindset. Now at 22, my mom still babies me but not as bad as she did when I was a teen. I'm a lot more organized, more goal-oriented and more willing to take risks. I was pretty mature in a lot of ways in high school since I was able to talk about intelligent  topics.

Written By: Balty Raven on 07/25/18 at 8:41 pm

As someone who used to frequent IGN back in 2015, it was painful for me back then to even mention how much I went arguing against 90s kids on the boards (specifically The Vestibule). It was around the time where I hated everything related to the 2010s (except for 2010 and 2011) and I wanted a place to talk about the 2000s without bombarding it "as the decade of hell".

Written By: mwalker1996 on 07/26/18 at 9:01 pm

As someone who used to frequent IGN back in 2015, it was painful for me back then to even mention how much I went arguing against 90s kids on the boards (specifically The Vestibule). It was around the time where I hated everything related to the 2010s (except for 2010 and 2011) and I wanted a place to talk about the 2000s without bombarding it "as the decade of hell".
I remember reading your posts from back then, it feels like yesterday you were the baby on the forum sites, now you have kids 5-6 years younger than you that are posting on the forums.  I always found your date of birth interesting since you were born right before Y2K happened.

Written By: Balty Raven on 07/28/18 at 10:42 am

I remember reading your posts from back then, it feels like yesterday you were the baby on the forum sites, now you have kids 5-6 years younger than you that are posting on the forums.  I always found your date of birth interesting since you were born right before Y2K happened.

Yeah, I was one of the youngest members who talked about nostalgia at the time. There were other people that was born around the late 90s, but I was considered the youngest since I was born in late 1999. Although life on the IGN Boards wasn't peachy (aside from mqg96 being there), since most of the people who were regulars at the time were in the 20s and early 30s. I was only in my mid teens (15 and a half to be exact) and they were like the same age as me when I was born.X

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/28/18 at 5:26 pm

Yeah, I was one of the youngest members who talked about nostalgia at the time. There were other people that was born around the late 90s, but I was considered the youngest since I was born in late 1999. Although life on the IGN Boards wasn't peachy (aside from mqg96 being there), since most of the people who were regulars at the time were in the 20s and early 30s. I was only in my mid teens (15 and a half to be exact) and they were like the same age as me when I was born.X

IGN boards were pretty toxic from what I remember seeing. One of the worst places that carried that "90s kid" elitism. Also the idea of 30-somethings acting toxic on a video game forum to younger people raises a lot of questions to me.

Written By: piecesof93 on 07/28/18 at 6:48 pm

IGN boards were pretty toxic from what I remember seeing. One of the worst places that carried that "90s kid" elitism. Also the idea of 30-somethings acting toxic on a video game forum to younger people raises a lot of questions to me.

People on those IGN boards took that 90s stuff waaaaaayyy too seriously. You could tell they were legit mad about 90s borns calling themselves 90s kids.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 07/28/18 at 7:03 pm

People on those IGN boards took that 90s stuff waaaaaayyy too seriously. You could tell they were legit mad about 90s borns calling themselves 90s kids.

Is he the most handsome IGN forum user?

https://orig00.deviantart.net/f4e1/f/2013/089/e/a/basement_dweller_by_drshaym-d5zttsx.png

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 07/28/18 at 7:39 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S5d96HXN2I

Written By: Wobo on 08/13/18 at 7:19 pm

80s babies do try claim the 2000s as theirs lol
https://i.imgur.com/P6Oc4oW.png

Written By: Dundee on 08/13/18 at 7:24 pm

They're addicted to claiming anyway :P

Watch them claim the 2030s
"If you were less than 50 years old, you couldn't possibly enjoy that decade to it fullest so no nostalgia!"

Written By: piecesof93 on 08/13/18 at 7:33 pm

;D  ;D ok now I'm 90% confident that they'll try to claim the 2010s just like Zelda said.

Written By: Wobo on 08/13/18 at 8:24 pm

;D  ;D ok now I'm 90% confident that they'll try to claim the 2010s just like Zelda said.

Lol, i don't care what the 80s babies say in the future if they try to claim the 2010s, i will the claim the 2010s anyways.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/15/18 at 3:40 pm

Lol, i don't care what the 80s babies say in the future if they try to claim the 2010s, i will the claim the 2010s anyways.

LOL Its already started to happen ;D ;D ;D.

Written By: Wobo on 08/15/18 at 3:50 pm

LOL Its already started to happen ;D ;D ;D .

Lol for real? I thiught 80s babies hate this decade as of right now?

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/15/18 at 4:01 pm

Lol for real? I thiught 80s babies hate this decade as of right now?

They detested the 2000s when it was trendy to hate on it back in like 2009-2014.

KOXnRsUP0Q4

However, ever since early 2000s nostalgia began to get big in 2015, thanks to videos like this, the once highly self righteous nostalgia tards that hated everything made after January 1st 2000, all of a sudden were aching for the days of 'Snake' on Nokia, or The Late 90s/Early 00s iMacs, or when Justin Timberlake & Britney were still an item. I could go on and on.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPWHXMRSsHSrXkuP2T31nBVIG0W2KC8VedX3JiWIuF4Oq7oKhC

So naturally, when us 90s babies, whom actually remember this era in great detail as well join into the party, these same smug 80s babies are now claiming we were too young too remember these trends. .........https://i.pinimg.com/originals/97/4b/7a/974b7a9a9bb75004a81fe3f00a6aa194.jpg

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/15/18 at 4:10 pm

Them 80s babies certainly acting like babies alright. They hated the 2000s not too long ago. Now they're trying to claim it? As my brother would say  "Those two faced flip floppers. "  >:(

Written By: xris on 08/15/18 at 4:25 pm

It's because ppl are annoying with these comments. Does anyone care how old were someone? I think both sides are stupid but even I dislike comments like these. Then again there are many ppl that were kids during Suite life, Camp rock era acting like I can't miss it as I was no longer a kid. So gen Z can also be jerks and claiming things as only theirs. I liked pop culture in 2008-2014 the most of any era I've experienced so far with 1992-94 a close second. 1995-2007 had its good stuff but it was in general cheesy.

But YouTube commenters are retards of any age, what do you expect?

Written By: 2001 on 08/15/18 at 4:28 pm

It's because ppl are annoying with these comments. Does anyone care how old were someone? I think both sides are stupid but even I dislike comments like these. Then again there are many ppl that were kids during Suite life, Camp rock era acting like I can't miss it as I was no longer a kid. So gen Z can also be jerks and claiming things as only theirs.

I block YouTube comments (actually, comment sections of most websites). Rubbish.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/15/18 at 4:35 pm

I block YouTube comments (actually, comment sections of most websites). Rubbish.
I do not even read the comments!

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/15/18 at 4:39 pm

It's because ppl are annoying with these comments. Does anyone care how old were someone? I think both sides are stupid but even I dislike comments like these. Then again there are many ppl that were kids during Suite life, Camp rock era acting like I can't miss it as I was no longer a kid. So gen Z can also be jerks and claiming things as only theirs. I liked pop culture in 2008-2014 the most of any era I've experienced so far with 1992-94 a close second. 1995-2007 had its good stuff but it was in general cheesy.

I use a Google plugin that literally removes the comments. Basically it's just an empty white space below the actual videos.

Written By: xris on 08/15/18 at 4:45 pm

I find most comments are useless like "came here from...." repeated by hundreds of ppl. Okay I got it the first time this song appeared in X movie/game whatever. I put those with ages also a bit annoying. Cool you miss your 20s/childhood but let's discuss the song/movie/era and what exactly made you love it (or is it pure nostalgia). ;)

I'd rather have them discuss pop culture like "That was her Bangerz era. She looked her worse imo but her songs were great compared with what's on radion now." Is that too deep for YT? I will install a plugin soon as well.

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/15/18 at 4:52 pm

I find most comments are useless like "came here from...." repeated by hundreds of ppl. Okay I got it the first time this song appeared in X movie/game whatever. I put those with ages also a bit annoying. Cool you miss your 20s/childhood but let's discuss the song/movie/era and what exactly made you love it (or is it pure nostalgia). ;)

I'd rather have them discuss pop culture like "That was her Bangerz era. She looked her worse imo but her songs were great compared with what's on radion now." Is that too deep for YT? I will install a plugin soon as well.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hide-youtube-comments/kehdmnjmaakacofbgmjgjapbbibhafoh

Only works for Chrome, but I'm sure Microsoft Edge and Firefox have their own versions. Takes 5 seconds to install this. Just click the button to add to Chrome. Once installed just close and re-open Chrome and go to any youtube video. Comments are now gone.

And just like that your life is 30% happier. 8) Been using it for 3-4 years now and never removed it for any reason.

Written By: xris on 08/15/18 at 4:59 pm

Thanks, much appreciated! :)

Written By: Wobo on 08/15/18 at 6:18 pm

I read the comment section for the lols.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/15/18 at 6:20 pm

YouTube comments is where all the trolls live.

Written By: 2001 on 08/15/18 at 6:23 pm

I do not even read the comments!

Sometimes I can't help myself, so I inject code into websites that blocks comments. It works best when I don't even realize that a website has a comments section at all, while other people are complaining about how terrible they are. ;D

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/15/18 at 6:25 pm

Sometimes I can't help myself, so I inject code into websites that blocks comments. It works best when I don't even realize that a website has a comments section at all, while other people are complaining about how terrible they are. ;D

I have an extension on Google Chrome that blocks YouTube comments.

Written By: Wobo on 08/15/18 at 6:26 pm

YouTube comments is where all the trolls live.

I agree, but troll comments can be funny as hell.

Written By: 2001 on 08/15/18 at 7:10 pm

I have an extension on Google Chrome that blocks YouTube comments.

Mine blocks comments virtually everywhere. It's not just YouTube that's terrible IMO :P

I agree, but troll comments can be funny as hell.

Troll comments are funny if they are witty, which for most of YouTube's D-grade trolls is two grades above their cognitive capabilities.

But the vast majority of idiotic comments on YouTube are in fact, not trolls. They are just that stupid. Take, for example, the comment you screenshot. For once, the font fits.  :-X

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/15/18 at 9:22 pm

Bwahahah. 80s babies used to say 90s babies can't claim the 90s and now they're saying 90s babies can't even claim the 2000s. They're obsessed with claiming everything. :)

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/15/18 at 10:40 pm

Bwahahah. 80s babies used to say 90s babies can't claim the 90s and now they're saying 90s babies can't even claim the 2000s. They're obsessed with claiming everything. :)

Mark my words; in 5-10 years when the 2010s become mildly nostalgic 80s babies will claim that too.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/15/18 at 11:11 pm

But why would you block comments? Those "true 90s kid" debates are entertaining as hell and usually the kid being accused effortlessly win the debate.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/15/18 at 11:14 pm

They detested the 2000s when it was trendy to hate on it back in like 2009-2014.

KOXnRsUP0Q4

However, ever since early 2000s nostalgia began to get big in 2015, thanks to videos like this, the once highly self-righteous nostalgia tards that hated everything made after January 1st, 2000, all of a sudden were aching for the days of 'Snake' on Nokia, or The Late 90s/Early 00s iMacs, or when Justin Timberlake & Britney were still an item. I could go on and on.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPWHXMRSsHSrXkuP2T31nBVIG0W2KC8VedX3JiWIuF4Oq7oKhC

So naturally, when us 90s babies, whom remember this era in great detail as well join into the party, these same smug 80s babies are now claiming we were too young to remember these trends. .........https://i.pinimg.com/originals/97/4b/7a/974b7a9a9bb75004a81fe3f00a6aa194.jpg

Bwahaha. 80s babies used to say 90s babies can't claim the 90s and now they're saying 90s babies can't even claim the 2000s. They're obsessed with claiming everything. :)

Mark my words; in 5-10 years when the 2010s become mildly nostalgic 80s babies will claim that too.
I honestly don't understand why some of them are trying so hard to claim everything. To declare that 90s babies can't profess the 2000s (and even parts of the 90s) is not only ignorant but also ridiculous. The nostalgia tard syndrome went so far up these people's a**es that they have become robots and are not living in reality anymore.

But why would you block comments? Those "true 90s kid" debates are entertaining as hell and usually the kid being accused effortlessly win the debate.
They were entertaining until the nostalgia tards showed up and ruined everything.

Written By: xris on 08/16/18 at 3:06 am

1988 born here. I admit I hated the second part of the 00s when it was recent and liked the early 00s more.
Now, looking back, I realize that actually the second part of the 00s had better TV shows and movies for young people and 2008 and 2009 even had the best music in the 00s.

The only years before 2005 that had good music were 2003 and 2004 imo. 2k era had so much crap (teen pop 8-P), 2001 music was depressing and moody. 2005-07 were kinda meh musically, but they had very good teen TV. I ain't stealing your culture, I just liked it more than 1995-2004 culture and especially over 1995-2002. Those years were bad for pop culture, with some nice exceptions like Dexter's Lab. Overall, the best eras culturally I've been trough so far are 1992-94 and 2008-14. Musically, 2003-04 and 2008-14 (most 90s music was bad).

2008-2014 was like my second take at being a teen really as I followed most trends, save for toys. I was also even more emotionally unstable than in the early 00s, so I guess I'm a late bloomer. ;D The crazy sitcoms on 2005-2009 Disney Channel saved me from depression.

I think 90s borns can claim the 00s and even some parts of the 90s. There are many reruns of older shows on TV in every era. I for example grew up mostly on 80s music, not 90s in the 90s! So I kinda know some 80s culture, very little in terms of 90s & 2k music, a bit for 2003-04 music and a lot of 2008-2014 music. I've had Gen X and Gen Z influence so to say.

Btw, do you dislike some of the gay fans that say you HAVE to be gay to like, say, a Lady Gaga, Kylie or Madonna song? I don't see why a straight guy can't like a catchy pop tune lol.

Written By: Dundee on 08/16/18 at 3:42 am

1988 born here. I admit I hated the second part of the 00s when it was recent and liked the early 00s more.
Now, looking back, I realize that actually the second part of the 00s had better TV shows and movies for young people and 2008 and 2009 even had the best music in the 00s.

The only years before 2005 that had good music were 2003 and 2004 imo. 2k era had so much crap (teen pop 8-P), 2001 music was depressing and moody. 2005-07 were kinda meh musically, but they had very good teen TV. I ain't stealing your culture, I just liked it more than 1995-2004 culture and especially over 1995-2002. Those years were bad for pop culture, with some nice exceptions like Dexter's Lab. Overall, the best eras culturally I've been trough so far are 1992-94 and 2008-14. Musically, 2003-04 and 2008-14 (most 90s music was bad).

2008-2014 was like my second take at being a teen really as I followed most trends, save for toys. I was also even more emotionally unstable than in the early 00s, so I guess I'm a late bloomer. ;D The crazy sitcoms on 2005-2009 Disney Channel saved me from depression.

I think 90s borns can claim the 00s and even some parts of the 90s. There are many reruns of older shows on TV in every era. I for example grew up mostly on 80s music, not 90s in the 90s! So I kinda know some 80s culture, very little in terms of 90s & 2k music, a bit for 2003-04 music and a lot of 2008-2014 music. I've had Gen X and Gen Z influence so to say.

Btw, do you dislike some of the gay fans that say you HAVE to be gay to like, say, a Lady Gaga, Kylie or Madonna song? I don't see why a straight guy can't like a catchy pop tune lol.

I'm honestly quite surprised you seem to love teen stuff, but hate y2k teen pop :o! Any particular reasons for that?

Written By: xris on 08/16/18 at 4:05 am

It was just too overly-produced. Catchy tunes indeed, but they get annoying very fast on replay unlike 2008-2014.
Also, many of the early 00s shows for young people had model-like cast, they were too perfect. Think Smallville, The OC, One Three Hill. Also many of them were not real early 00s teens, they were 20-somethings and most looked like their age! So a 15 yo me found it hard to relate to Adam Brody who was born in 1979, 9 years before me or Benjamin McKenzie, 10 years older. Now I don't care that much but as a teen it showed they're older than their on-screen age. ;)

At the same time Disney shows were too preachy back then. I've never seen it but maybe That's So Raven was the start of quality sitcomes on DC. HM, Sonny, The Wizards were much better than preachy Lizzie McGuire and similar. Alex on Wizards could be a total b*
tch, a first for a Disney show to have such a barely likable main character lol. Out of those only Hannah Montana was overly girly, but still I could enjoy it as Miley Stewart was kinda tomboyish and more real than the characters on late 90s/early 00s shows (think Popular, one of the worst teen shows ever). My internal teen was also glad that finally shows with real teens playing their age got HUGE. Disney's sitcoms were more popular than the various drama teen series in 2005-2012, while Lizzie McGuire was an also-ran and outshined by the OC, One Tree Hill (with ppl born in the 70s and the early 80s playing teens!)

Written By: piecesof93 on 12/31/18 at 12:59 pm

Half of the people on this page have deleted their accounts lol.

Even though, I made this thread this year, I'm starting to see comments saying, "I used to love this video is middle school," or "I was only six when this came out" when I go on videos I watched from high school. But I don't see a lot of people saying mean things under those comments.

Written By: Dundee on 01/01/19 at 10:09 am

Nostalgia has done its work ;D. Early 2010s pop has known this fate too, and see a lot of people posting on the 2009-2012 period being a golden age of Pop music (this was the case since 2015, but lately it's been more agressive).
I'm kind of sad people usually use it to insult 2018's music (which I personally thought was pretty solid for the most part), but at the same time I get the cool feeling of being nostalgic with people over stuff that came out when I was 14-15 :D.

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/01/19 at 10:52 am

In terms of childhood nostalgia, the 2000s do seem to be replacing the 90s, now that the oldest 2000s kids are in their mid 20s. It's crazy that some people are now being nostalgic over early 10s music considering everyone on YouTube hated early 2010s music at the time.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 01/01/19 at 7:22 pm

In terms of childhood nostalgia, the 2000s do seem to be replacing the 90s, now that the oldest 2000s kids are in their mid 20s. It's crazy that some people are now being nostalgic over early 10s music considering everyone on YouTube hated early 2010s music at the time.
You so right. All you saw was Justin Bieber sucks, Drake sucks, Lil Wayne sucks.

Written By: floppy on 01/03/19 at 9:07 am

if your a 10s kid,you are not allowed to enjoy your childhood...
:\'(

Written By: wixness on 01/03/19 at 9:48 am

I've seen far fewer people love the 2000s than the 2010s though. I understand that people have some issues with the 2010s especially in recent years, but they tend to prefer the music, fashion and the culture of the 2010s overall. I guess they also like how LGBT-friendly the 2010s is compared to the 2000s (when broadcast television still allowed a few mild insults against gay men or what they perceived was typical of gay men in a casual situation).

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/03/19 at 10:47 am

I've seen far fewer people love the 2000s than the 2010s though. I understand that people have some issues with the 2010s especially in recent years, but they tend to prefer the music, fashion and the culture of the 2010s overall. I guess they also like how LGBT-friendly the 2010s is compared to the 2000s (when broadcast television still allowed a few mild insults against gay men or what they perceived was typical of gay men in a casual situation).

Here in the UK, we had something called Section 28, which prohibited 'the intentional promotion of homosexuality in schools'. It wasn't repealed until 2003!

Also remember Christina Aguilera's 'Beautiful' from 2002 which showed 2 men kissing. That was a big deal at the time. In fact, I'm certain some channels cut it out.

Attitudes have changed a lot over the past 15 years.

Written By: wixness on 01/03/19 at 11:13 am

Here in the UK, we had something called Section 28, which prohibited 'the intentional promotion of homosexuality in schools'. It wasn't repealed until 2003!

Also remember Christina Aguilera's 'Beautiful' from 2002 which showed 2 men kissing. That was a big deal at the time. In fact, I'm certain some channels cut it out.

Attitudes have changed a lot over the past 15 years.
Russia has something like Section 23 this decade.
These days, if two men are shown kissing, I believe that at least in the West, it's more normal for them to show it.

If not culture, then 2010s technology may be a reason why few love the 2000s - aside from the iPhone, which was then still at its early stages, nothing unique or at least exciting was really offered in terms of tech I believe.

Written By: Dundee on 01/03/19 at 12:30 pm

Well since you're 10, you're still in your childhood? ???

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/03/19 at 12:52 pm

Well since you're 10, you're still in your childhood? ???

They're 10?! Holy crap.

Russia has something like Section 23 this decade.
These days, if two men are shown kissing, I believe that at least in the West, it's more normal for them to show it.

If not culture, then 2010s technology may be a reason why few love the 2000s - aside from the iPhone, which was then still at its early stages, nothing unique or at least exciting was really offered in terms of tech I believe.

Yeah, Russia is a sad place. Glad I don't live there.

It's normal to see that on TV now, but two men kissing in real life still draws attention. I am gay myself and would not feel comfortable doing that just in case someone reacted negatively. I know most people wouldn't care but there is always that risk..

Written By: iridescence on 01/10/19 at 6:01 pm

People who comment things putting others down were probably immature as kids and only listened to and watched kiddie stuff so it doesn't occur to them that others are already doing more sophisticated things at that age. When I was 8-9, I was already really into pop culture, I sat in front of the TV watching music videos all day, I was obsessed with finding out who was #1 on the charts every week, I was obsessed with several bands and singers, got CDs and cassettes etc. Most of my memories from when I was 8-9-10 is of listening to music and obsessing about celebrities' personal lives.

Written By: DellFan99 on 01/11/19 at 2:47 pm

They're 10?! Holy crap.

I remember being 10 and not feeling worried about enjoying anything. It felt more exhilarating being a kid at the time. Nobody worried about politics mixed in with pop culture constantly, to where it could seep in through children's media. Today, it doesn't even seem like you can be a kid nowadays. It's the first generation where a kid could recognize more YouTube channels than traditional TV channels altogether (those born in the late 2000s-present). They never remembered a time before YouTube became the mainstream choice of entertainment. They never remembered when entertainment had regulations and they didn't need to use the Internet to watch their favorite shows constantly. It was like a different time to me.

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/12/19 at 12:33 am

I remember being 10 and not feeling worried about enjoying anything. It felt more exhilarating being a kid at the time. Nobody worried about politics mixed in with pop culture constantly, to where it could seep in through children's media. Today, it doesn't even seem like you can be a kid nowadays. It's the first generation where a kid could recognize more YouTube channels than traditional TV channels altogether (those born in the late 2000s-present). They never remembered a time before YouTube became the mainstream choice of entertainment. They never remembered when entertainment had regulations and they didn't need to use the Internet to watch their favorite shows constantly. It was like a different time to me.

I was 10 in 2005 so YouTube had only just come out. The idea that uploading videos to YouTube would one day be a viable career choice didn’t even exist.

Written By: wixness on 01/12/19 at 6:36 am

I was 10 in 2005 so YouTube had only just come out. The idea that uploading videos to YouTube would one day be a viable career choice didn’t even exist.

I'd say the same thing about making a living through streaming games. Now one can't really do it because so many people are making a living through streaming games on Twitch.

Written By: Zelek3 on 06/19/20 at 8:44 pm

Fast forward to 2020, now 2002 borns are praising themselves for growing up with Minecraft, trying to distance themselves from 2005-born "Fortnite Jake Pauler TikTok kids", and arguing about the boundaries of being a "true 2000s kid".

People thought Millennials were acting too crotchety at a young age, that your late 20s/early 30s was too soon to be all "kids these days" (i.e. Buzzfeed's 90s obsession and gatekeeping). Well, 18 year old Zoomers managed to easily beat that record, lol. It's an endless cycle, older people hate younger people, always.

Written By: shadowcookie on 06/20/20 at 9:44 am

Fast forward to 2020, now 2002 borns are praising themselves for growing up with Minecraft, trying to distance themselves from 2005-born "Fortnite Jake Pauler TikTok kids", and arguing about the boundaries of being a "true 2000s kid".

People thought Millennials were acting too crotchety at a young age, that your late 20s/early 30s was too soon to be all "kids these days" (i.e. Buzzfeed's 90s obsession and gatekeeping). Well, 18 year old Zoomers managed to easily beat that record, lol. It's an endless cycle, older people hate younger people, always.

I still thinks it’s silly when I see 35 year olds on Reddit acting like crotchety old men. ::)

Written By: shrinkingviolet on 06/28/20 at 7:08 pm

90s babies are also not allowed to claim the mid 2000s, according to a lot of 80s babies.

Written By: fusefan on 06/28/20 at 11:36 pm

90s babies are also not allowed to claim the mid 2000s, according to a lot of 80s babies.

I’m a 90s baby and I was in HIGH SCHOOL then and I’m still not allowed to claim it? Rubbish I say!

Written By: Sman12 on 06/29/20 at 5:13 pm

My opinion is that anyone can enjoy their childhoods. What I hate is the rose-colored arguments that some people from every generation espouse, like "our generation is better and yours is worse!"

And the cycle just keeps on going....

Check for new replies or respond here...