inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Late 00s music

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/18/18 at 12:30 am

After finding a ton of songs from that era and posting them on a topic, I noticed people had forgotten most of them to where no one barely talks about them today. What I also observed is that most don't seem to remember that there was more to the music of that period than just electropop tracks. Why does this seem to be the case? The late 00s were only a decade ago, yet there's practically no discussion about the songs of that timeframe.

As for the music itself. Honestly, I don't think it was all that bad. I mean, sure there were some terrible ones here and there. I do not deny that at all, but the majority were of good quality though.

Subject: Re: Late 00s music

Written By: bchris02 on 07/18/18 at 1:37 pm

After finding a ton of songs from that era and posting them on a topic, I noticed people had forgotten most of them to where no one barely talks about them today. What I also observed is that most don't seem to remember that there was more to the music of that period than just electropop tracks. Why does this seem to be the case? The late 00s were only a decade ago, yet there's practically no discussion about the songs of that timeframe.

As for the music itself. Honestly, I don't think it was all that bad. I mean, sure there were some terrible ones here and there. I do not deny that at all, but the majority were of good quality though.

I'm in a minority but I really liked the dominant sound in hip-hop from about 2007 through 2012. 2009 was my favorite year for music ever.  It was an improvement over the mid '00s crunk sound and also better than the trap sound that has dominated since the mid '10s.  I miss artists like Akon, T-Pain, Lil Wayne, Soulja Boy, Chris Brown, Young Jeezy, Lil Boosie, Ludacris (his peak was in the early 00s he remained relevant until the early 10s), etc.  For whatever reason though people don't seem to be nostalgic for that era of hip-hop.  What people remember the late '00s and early '10s for mostly is the electropop and to a lesser extent the emo rock.  Post-grunge was also on its last legs during that era as well.

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/18/18 at 1:41 pm

What I also observed is that most don't seem to remember that there was more to the music of that period than just electropop tracks.

I associate the electropop era more with the early 2010's than late 2000's. But I agree there's more to it than electropop.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/18/18 at 1:52 pm

I associate the electropop era more with the early 2010's than late 2000's. But I agree there's more to it than electropop.

I think it leans more early '10s but it dominated the last three months of 2008 and all of 2009.  The electropop era pretty much ended in 2013.  In my opinion, it's the '10s equivalent of the Y2K-era boyband craze.

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/18/18 at 2:00 pm

I think it leans more early '10s but it dominated the last three months of 2008 and all of 2009.  The electropop era pretty much ended in 2013.  In my opinion, it's the '10s equivalent of the Y2K-era boyband craze.

I agree with this.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/18/18 at 3:14 pm

I'm in the minority, but I liked the dominant sound in hip-hop from about 2007 through 2012. 2009 was my favorite year for music ever.  It was an improvement over the mid-'00s Crunk sound and also better than the trap sound that has dominated since the mid-'10s.  I miss artists like Akon, T-Pain, Lil Wayne, Soulja Boy, Chris Brown, Young Jeezy, Lil Boosie, Ludacris (his peak was in the early 00s he remained relevant until the early 10s), etc.  For whatever reason though people don't seem to be nostalgic for that era of hip-hop.  What people remember the late '00s and early '10s for mostly is the electropop and to a lesser extent the emo rock.  Post-grunge was also on its last legs during that era as well.

I know right? Hip-hop was awesome during that period. You also had Kid Cudi, Kanye West, Lupe Fiasco and so on. Not only was there electropop and hip-hop, but there was also R&B (which is largely forgotten), non-electropop pop songs and even tracks that didn't fit a genre such as "Meet Me Halfway" and Natasha Bedingfield's "Love Like This."

Written By: piecesof93 on 07/18/18 at 3:26 pm

Yeah there was still good music but most mainstream was so terrible that it gets overshadowed.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/18/18 at 3:33 pm

Yeah, there was still good music, but the most mainstream was so terrible that it gets overshadowed.
I know what you mean. At that time, we still had ringtone rap, as well as a few awful songs such as Boom Boom Pow.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/18/18 at 3:54 pm

I know what you mean. At that time, we still had ringtone rap, as well as a few awful songs such as Boom Boom Pow.

I actually liked "Boom Boom Pow" and the other BEP hits on that album.  I can think of very little to dislike about the music of 2009.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/18/18 at 4:10 pm

I liked "Boom Boom Pow," and the other BEP hits on that album.  I can think of very little to dislike about the music of 2009.
I liked it too, and I even played it constantly back when it was popular; however, most people despised it. As for the rest of 2009 music, I agree it was pretty good except for ringtone rap. I mean who could forget Jay-Z, Ludacris, Drake, Eminem, Alicia Keys, Ne-Yo, Rhianna, Chris Brown, and Lady Gaga? Then, you had LMFAO, Far East Movement, Jay Sean and even Pitbull bringing in the early EDM/electropop songs at that time. Plus, there was also Shakira, Britney Spears, Green Day and Jason Derulo putting out hits as well.

Written By: Zelek3 on 07/18/18 at 5:02 pm

I'm in a minority but I really liked the dominant sound in hip-hop from about 2007 through 2012. 2009 was my favorite year for music ever.  It was an improvement over the mid '00s crunk sound and also better than the trap sound that has dominated since the mid '10s.  I miss artists like Akon, T-Pain, Lil Wayne, Soulja Boy, Chris Brown, Young Jeezy, Lil Boosie, Ludacris (his peak was in the early 00s he remained relevant until the early 10s), etc.  For whatever reason though people don't seem to be nostalgic for that era of hip-hop.  What people remember the late '00s and early '10s for mostly is the electropop and to a lesser extent the emo rock.  Post-grunge was also on its last legs during that era as well.

Eh. To me, Soulja Boy is the least charismatic rapper of all time, with his only decent song being Kiss Me Thru the Phone. To each his own.

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/18/18 at 7:37 pm

Eh. To me, Soulja Boy is the least charismatic rapper of all time, with his only decent song being Kiss Me Thru the Phone. To each his own.

I think Soulja Boy was the only "artist" I dispised around that time. Chris Brown was a close second only because of the abuse. His songs weren't great but they weren't bad either.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/19/18 at 11:00 am

I actually think "Kiss Me Through the Phone", which was a hit in 2009, was his best one.  "Soulja Boy (Tell Em)" brings back nostalgic memories because you couldn't go to a party or club in 2007 without it being played but it really wasn't a good song.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/19/18 at 1:23 pm

The music from the late 2000s was mostly very bad.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/19/18 at 2:03 pm

The music from the late 2000s was mostly terrible.
That depends on the genre. If we're talking about ringtone rap and singers such as Sean Kingston, that yeah I agree those songs were awful. If we're discussing non-ringtone rap, R&B, some mainstream pop, and artists being Amy Winehouse and Natasha Bedingfield, then I disagree.

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/20/18 at 9:23 am

I really miss late 00s Rihanna. She was already established by then. Give me Umbrella and Take A Bow.

Written By: exodus08 on 07/20/18 at 1:39 pm

I really miss late 00s Rihanna. She was already established by then. Give me Umbrella and Take A Bow.

I agree on this. I miss 00's Rihanna :(

Written By: CupidTheStupid on 07/20/18 at 2:00 pm

So many amazing artists! T-Pain, Ludacris, 50 Cent, Usher, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry. It was like the fun, vibrant music overshadowed the horrible economy at the time.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/22/18 at 7:24 pm

I miss the late 00s, Rihanna. She had already established by then. Give me Umbrella and Take A Bow.

I agree with this. I miss 00's Rihanna :(
She has so many classics from that period. SOS, Pon De Replay, Rehab, Don't Stop the Music, Hate That I Love You, etc. What more can you ask?

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/22/18 at 7:52 pm

I feel like 2009 actually had a lot of decent songs. It's probably the most hated on year when it comes to music followed by 2006.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/22/18 at 8:02 pm

I feel like 2009 actually had a lot of decent songs. It's probably the most hated on year when it comes to music followed by 2006.

Really!? 2008 music receives way more hate, in fact that year was in fact really bad (2007 and 2009 each crushes that year) and outside of the R&B the core 2000's have a lot of hate in general especially 2005-2007. 2009 was the beginning of the electropop era and a renaissance age for hip hop known as the POST-snap/crunk rap era but still long before the trap era so if anything I remember that year being praised for music.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/22/18 at 8:07 pm

She has so many classics from that period. SOS, Pon De Replay, Rehab, Don't Stop the Music, Hate That I Love You, etc. What more can you ask?

I agree on this. I miss 00's Rihanna :(

The glory and power of late 00's was surreal at the time! This was the time when music really established an identity for me that I'll never forget!

and that continued on through the early 2010's!

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/22/18 at 8:08 pm

Really!? 2008 music receives way more hate, in fact that year was in fact really bad (2007 and 2009 each crushes that year) and outside of the R&B the core 2000's have a lot of hate in general especially 2005-2007. 2009 was the beginning of the electropop era and a renaissance age for hip hop known as the POST-snap/crunk rap era but still long before the trap era so if anything I remember that year being praised for music.

I noticed that the late 2000's, with the exception of 2007, seem to get a lot of hate. I've definitely seen 2008 get a lot of hate when it comes to music, but I've seen it slightly more with 2009 for some reason.

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/22/18 at 8:19 pm

For the most part, I didn't like core 00s hip hop outside of a very few exceptions, and I didn't even find out about Madvillainy until 2009. I wish I found it when it came out. Maybe I would have liked it more.

I didn't start appreciating hip hop in the 00s again until Tha Carter III...believe it or not.

Drake was SOOOO refreshing to me in 09 and 10.

09 was also the year where if you went to a gay dance club and Single Ladies came on, 7 or more queens would take over the dance floor and do the whole routine.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/22/18 at 8:28 pm

Really!? 2008 music receives way more hate, in fact, that year was, in fact, horrible (2007 and 2009 each crushes that year) and outside of the R&B the core 2000's have a lot of hate in general especially 2005-2007. 2009 was the beginning of the electropop era and a renaissance age for hip-hop known as the POST-snap/Crunk rap era but still long before the trap era so if anything I remember that year being praised by people for music.

I noticed that the late 2000's, except for 2007, seem to get a lot of hate. I've seen 2008 get a lot of hate when it comes to music, but I've seen it slightly more with 2009 for some reason.
Yeah, it's honestly weird how the 2005-09 music period gets hated on all because most only see the snap/ringtone songs as well as the  Fergie ones, and not everything else. Like do they not remember the R&B, non-snap/ringtone hip-hop, reggaeton, pop-rock or even the types of rock that were popular?

Written By: wixness on 07/22/18 at 9:31 pm

If it wasn't the pop, then I think it was the (over-)abundance of pop punk and rock that just made 2000s music seem forgettable.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/22/18 at 10:43 pm

2009 was probably my favorite year for music of the entire decade.  It was a huge changing of the guard year as well, with superstars like Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Justin Bieber, Nicki Minaj, Drake, new Taylor Swift, etc all coming into their own.  2009 was the year that created the '10s.  That goes beyond music as well.  So much of what defines '10s culture came out of '09.

Written By: Dundee on 07/23/18 at 1:48 am

It's unfortunate that it's not a particularly well-liked period for music because I do have lots of memories from back then. I for instance remember how Katy Perry was hailed as the new Madonna after her hit "Hot 'n Cold" exploded (this was before Lady Gaga came into the scene and snatched somewhat that title).

I always thought 2007 was a really great year for music, and 2008-2009 at least had plenty of guilty pleasures :p

Written By: christopher on 07/23/18 at 6:54 am

Along with 2002, 2003 and first half of 2004, 2008 and 2009 had the best music in the 2000's. Second half of 2004 to 2007 had some gems but in general was too tacky.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/23/18 at 1:48 pm

It's unfortunate that it's not a particularly well-liked period for music because I do have lots of memories from back then. I, for instance, remember how Katy Perry was the new Madonna after her hit "Hot N Cold" exploded (this was before Lady Gaga came into the scene and snatched somewhat that title).

I always thought 2007 was an excellent year for music, and 2008-2009 at least had plenty of guilty pleasures :p
Yeah, if you think about it, there WAS a decent amount of songs out there. Now, I don't blame anyone who despised the snap/ringtone rap, Fergie or even Sean Kingston's songs as most of it was awful, but for people to just sit there and say the late 00s music scene was forgettable all because of the artists/sub-genres I mentioned need to realize there was much more than what most people remember.

Check for new replies or respond here...