inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Remember when Yahoo! was popular?

Written By: christopher on 08/04/18 at 6:50 pm

I think Yahoo! is no longer popular as an email provider. Was my first email in the 2000s. Last of its heydays were in the mid 2000s. It's a shame as its inbox looks better imo now than Gmail and I personally don't care about Google stuff. After the privacy scandal though I'm not very trusting of US-based web mail. Might make an email due to nostalgia on it though. Do you think it might go bankrupt in the 2020s?

Subject: Re: Remember when Yahoo! was popular?

Written By: 2001 on 08/04/18 at 8:09 pm

Yeah. It was so long ago that I didn't even care when all the Yahoo email passwords got leaked a few years back. ;D

Yahoo! was basically my homepage in the mid-late 1990s. YIM had better emoticons and chatrooms than MSN. I liked playing Yahoo! Games too.

Written By: wixness on 08/04/18 at 8:30 pm

They had Yahoo! Avatars, which I used to use a lot until it shut down in 2013. It was getting buggy though.

I think Yahoo! is no longer popular as an email provider. Was my first email in the 2000s. Last of its heydays were in the mid 2000s. It's a shame as its inbox looks better imo now than Gmail and I personally don't care about Google stuff. After the privacy scandal though I'm not very trusting of US-based web mail. Might make an email due to nostalgia on it though. Do you think it might go bankrupt in the 2020s?

I'm worried about them going bankrupt because of how I have most of my accounts using their email address. The main pull for me is their 1tb storage. Google offers too little for free when stuff like Google Drive storage eats up a lot of the free 15 gb storage. Even Google will fall.

Written By: nally on 08/04/18 at 11:12 pm

I never had an email account with Yahoo, but it was one of the very first web sites I ever heard about. In fact, it was one of the first sites I ever visited when I first started using the Internet 20 years ago. I even used it to search before I heard of Google.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 08/04/18 at 11:14 pm

Every 90s kids and most 00s kids who were using the internet from 94-08 remember Yahoo as a popular search engine. I know by 08 Google had already dominated the search engine market, but I still knew people who used Yahoo as the main search engine since Computers had Yahoo as the defult engine.

Written By: nally on 08/04/18 at 11:22 pm

Every 90s kids and most 00s kids who were using the internet from 94-08 remember Yahoo as a popular search engine. I know by 08 Google had already dominated the search engine market, but I still knew people who used Yahoo as the main search engine since Computers had Yahoo as the defult engine.

Yeah, Yahoo was a popular homepage for many users for the longest time, I'm sure.

Written By: christopher on 08/05/18 at 7:40 am

Funnily, the fall from grace of Yahoo! coincides with their change to the purple logo in 2009. I remember how in 2013 the webpage had a different logo everyday until they presented the present-day logo. I made an account recently to check it out and the inbox style and design look better than Gmail imo. Idk why I abandoned it in the past, I guess I got used to my local provider's email (ABV) but it now feels long in the tooth so I might go back to Y!. The only annoyance is that their Espanol page reads like the US one translated into Spanish, too few news actually from Latin America and Spain (fed up with Hollywood stars & their (and Trump's) antics! ;D).

I like Gmail's access to Google Docs, but the account comes with too many useless (for me) stuff like the Google+ public profile page I do not want to have and Hangouts. While I can turn some off like Web History, there's no way not to have the Google+ profile. I want just a mailbox (that's basic but looks stylish), no profiles and social media-like features. Yahoo has less of those, it feels like a real web mail service. Also, the Gmail inbox, while basic, is too boring to look at. Gmai skins don't change the fact the fonts and menus are too basic. I prefer Yahoo's inbox. I think that Outlook.com is the worst design of the 3 for me and Y! is the best. Only thing I would miss on Y! is the lack of Google Docs, so perhaps I might go back. :) Do you guys think Yahoo! might go bankrupt, I think it has many visitors still?

Written By: Dundee on 08/05/18 at 10:11 am

I always prefered the simplified Google over the cluttered Yahoo! page, but yeah it's basically unheard of since the early 2010s. My only memory of it was how it was a meme at some point to ask a dumb question on purpose to piss off people on Yahoo Answers ;D

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/05/18 at 10:45 am

Yahoo was fun with a uniquely personal feel to it. I used it heavily in 09 until enough people I knew were like "You gotta go to Google." Hahaha I thought the Yahoo search was all I needed but Google actually had a truck load.

Yahoo Answers was still amazing in the early 2010s.

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/05/18 at 2:22 pm

I always prefered the simplified Google over the cluttered Yahoo! page, but yeah it's basically unheard of since the early 2010s. My only memory of it was how it was a meme at some point to ask a dumb question on purpose to piss off people on Yahoo Answers ;D

Yahoo Answers was how I was able to do homework without actually studying.  8)

Written By: Howard on 08/05/18 at 2:23 pm

http://i13.tinypic.com/4p136nr.jpg
Yahoo from The mid 1990's

https://searchengineland.com/figz/wp-content/seloads/2011/10/yahoo-trends.jpg
Yahoo now

I remember 20 years ago when Yahoo was simple and now Yahoo has countless news articles to read, you can also get email, play games and a trending area.

Written By: Howard on 08/05/18 at 2:26 pm

and now with every page you sign in to, Google wants to be your sign-in provider so you never have to sign in with passwords.

Written By: nally on 08/05/18 at 5:20 pm

Hahaha I thought the Yahoo search was all I needed but Google actually had a truck load.

Same with me, when I started using the search.

Yahoo Answers was still amazing in the early 2010s.

I periodically go there too.

Written By: christopher on 08/05/18 at 11:06 pm

So, I'm back to Yahoo! mail camp! :)

Written By: Slim95 on 08/06/18 at 11:37 pm

I still sometimes pop into Yahoo Answers sometimes but nowhere near as much as before. I would not be surprised if Yahoo announced bankruptcy and closed down in 2019. Not sure how the business is doing but it can't be good.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/07/18 at 8:20 am

Yeah of course, it was the 'Google' of its heyday. It was the most popular search engine until around 2005, I believe. Ironically, that was around when I first heard of Google, which obviously took Yahoo's! place in popularity.

Theres actually an editorial from 2014 that compares the top websites from 2004 with 2014:

https://www.socialtalent.com/blog/recruitment/popular-websites
Yahoo!, as you could tell, was #1 in the US back in 2004, and for good reason. While in 2014, unsurprisingly, it was Google. Also, notice the lack of any social media being in the top 15 back in 04', essentially because it didn't really exist ;D.

Anyways; for people my age, you cannot bring up Yahoo! without mentioning this gem:

http://www.jax184.com/Yahooligans.png

This was the highlight of my relative early internet experience when I was 4/5 years old 8).

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/07/18 at 8:28 am

I still sometimes pop into Yahoo Answers sometimes but nowhere near as much as before. I would not be surprised if Yahoo announced bankruptcy and closed down in 2019. Not sure how the business is doing but it can't be good.

Honestly, with so many companies we grew up either closing down or have already gone bankrupt like Blockbuster, Toys R US, Sony, Radio Shack, K-Mart, etc. it wouldn't really surprise me. I've unfortunately have become num to many of the companies from my childhood closing down. We live in a 'new economy', dominated by Amazon & other online retailers. That along with the 'old world' of websites from the Web 1.0 and early Web 2.0 era being irrelevant like Yahoo!, Myspace, MSN, Primedia, AOL, among others. Heck even Facebook's resilience is starting to become tested after its devastating loss in stock market profitability.

Written By: wixness on 08/07/18 at 10:07 am

Their only saving grace (or curse) is that they're now owned by Verizon. Verizon still makes money from being scumbags so it could keep Yahoo! alive, but I can't guarantee they'll choose to do this. I'm concerned about this since I use Yahoo! for my account on here and many more accounts. Gmail offers too little storage for me in my opinion because Google Drive files take up a significant portion of free usable space, which emails share. Even if I changed all my accounts to use my Gmail email, Google may be next especially considering recent privacy scandals.

There may be new email services but I fear they'll lack viability and decent storage without paywalls, and may be compromised if someone uses an account like for Facebook with that mail address.

I recommend Yahoo! Mail users or everyone else for that matter to use this: http://web.archive.org/web/20180522120903/https://freeshell.de/~kaosmos/importexporttools-en.html

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/07/18 at 10:35 am

Yahoo's main rival, AOL is still around, although it was also acquired by another corporation that I can't quite think of the name of, and its popularity was similar to Yahoo, though of course in addition to Google, Myspace (with Facebook the nail in the coffin) caused it to plummet in popularity in the mid-00s. I also remember Lycos (with its Top 100 list, often with seasonal terms like Santa Claus that would get me pumped for an upcoming season) being fairly popular in the early '00s.

Written By: xris on 08/07/18 at 11:14 am

Isn't Yahoo! still quite visited though? Isn't it too big to fail? I mean that was what they said about GM. ;D
If Yahoo! is at risk I don't see how a service like those two local ones we have in my country can exist?
Any Yahoo! alternatives? I hate Gmail and Outlook.com What about GMX?

Written By: Slim95 on 08/07/18 at 1:54 pm

Isn't Yahoo! still quite visited though? Isn't it too big to fail? I mean that was what they said about GM. ;D
If Yahoo! is at risk I don't see how a service like those two local ones we have in my country can exist?
Any Yahoo! alternatives? I hate Gmail and Outlook.com What about GMX?

Yahoo is not often visited at all anymore nor is it too big to fail. Technically no company is too big to fail but Yahoo actually isn't that big at all anymore.

Written By: Howard on 08/07/18 at 2:29 pm

Honestly, with so many companies we grew up either closing down or have already gone bankrupt like Blockbuster, Toys R US, Sony, Radio Shack, K-Mart, etc. it wouldn't really surprise me. I've unfortunately have become num to many of the companies from my childhood closing down. We live in a 'new economy', dominated by Amazon & other online retailers. That along with the 'old world' of websites from the Web 1.0 and early Web 2.0 era being irrelevant like Yahoo!, Myspace, MSN, Primedia, AOL, among others. Heck even Facebook's resilience is starting to become tested after its devastating loss in stock market profitability.

I agree, it's almost like saying that Amazon Prime wants to be the replacement of every department store that went bankrupt, am I right, Zelda?

Written By: Howard on 08/07/18 at 2:31 pm

Yahoo is not often visited at all anymore nor is it too big to fail. Technically no company is too big to fail but Yahoo actually isn't that big at all anymore.

I visit Yahoo every day and I have an email account which I look at every day too.

Check for new replies or respond here...