inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The infamous 2006 shift

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/05/18 at 11:31 pm

So, I've wanted to talk about this topic for some time, but I haven't been on here much in the last three weeks due to a busy schedule. Now, I'm aware it's supposed to be an inside joke on this site and a few others, but over the years, it's honestly have got annoying. Not only has this same "shift" been over exaggerated to where nothing has been the same that "fateful" day, but it has also led an explosion of other unnecessary "shift" threads.

Late 2006 didn't change all that much, and I don't remember a significant change happening as that "infamous" day took place. The music was remotely the same. There may have been a few songs that had an electro sound, but they were a minority. Cinema and TV were still similar to the earlier part of the year as well as 2004 and '05. Just because a few iconic shows ended by that time doesn't mean TV culture was transitioning. Video games didn't even change either. Most people still owned the 6th generation consoles (Save for PSP and Nintendo DS) and it wasn't that necessary to upgrade  as soon as the 7th generation consoles came out. Fashion also was mainly still the same. Emo apparel, as well as Hip-hop (for some reason this is forgotten by a majority of people) and even preppy clothing, were common among everyday people and would last up until 2009-10.

Subject: Re: The infamous 2006 shift

Written By: Dundee on 08/06/18 at 1:56 am

It changed everything and nothing was the same since

Rip Good Things: 4 billion b.c. - September 1 2006

Written By: John Titor on 08/06/18 at 11:43 am

So, I've wanted to talk about this topic for some time, but I haven't been on here much in the last three weeks due to a busy schedule. Now, I'm aware it's supposed to be an inside joke on this site and a few others, but over the years, it's honestly have got annoying. Not only has this same "shift" been over exaggerated to where nothing has been the same that "fateful" day, but it has also led an explosion of other unnecessary "shift" threads.

Late 2006 didn't change all that much, and I don't remember a significant change happening as that "infamous" day took place. The music was remotely the same. There may have been a few songs that had an electro sound, but they were a minority. Cinema and TV were still similar to the earlier part of the year as well as 2004 and '05. Just because a few iconic shows ended by that time doesn't mean TV culture was transitioning. Video games didn't even change either. Most people still owned the 6th generation consoles (Save for PSP and Nintendo DS) and it wasn't that necessary to upgrade  as soon as the 7th generation consoles came out. Fashion also was mainly still the same. Emo apparel, as well as Hip-hop (for some reason this is forgotten by a majority of people) and even preppy clothing, were common among everyday people and would last up until 2009-10.

Things that changed in Late 2006

- Hipster fashions started creeping in (would not be mainstream until late 2008)
-  The Wb ended
- Upn Ended
-  Fox had ended That 70s show and Malcolm in the Middle, 2000s staples
- TRL a 2000's staple already had rumors of cancellation as soon as December
- Facebook debuts to the mainstream, starts a slow build (Becomes popular around March 2007 in the north east)
- Black Berry Pearl Debuts
- Football moves to Espn
- WWE monday night Raw removes its iconic theme and logo
-  Neo Disney Pop complete starts to become mainstream (Ashley Tisdale, Vanessa Hudgens, Jonas)
- ps3 and Wii debut (The change over was fast and people did ditch their older systems)
- Windows Vista debuts in beta
-Peak year for mall culture, every year after it would go down
- Final full year of The OC ( A mid 2000s staple)
- Dance pop gets hints
-Blu Ray becomes the standard
-Rip Sam goody
-"Thug" rap disappears completely from the charts, leaving only snap and other forms of pop rap in its place.  Aftermath began to decline in the 2004-2005 school year, but finally fell off for good in 2006.  50 Cent attempted one last stand in 2007, but fell short to Kanye West's Graduation album.  In my opinion, the last hip hop song of a truly mid-2000s nature was Ridin' by Chamillionaire
-Teen Titans is canceled

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/06/18 at 12:00 pm

I genuinely agree.

Written By: John Titor on 08/06/18 at 12:03 pm

- Hipster fashions started creeping in (would not be mainstream until late 2008)
-  The Wb ended
- Upn Ended
- Facebook debuts to the mainstream, starts a slow build (Becomes popular around March 2007 in the north east)
- Football moves to Espn
-  Neo Disney Pop complete starts to become mainstream (Ashley Tisdale, Vanessa Hudgens, Jonas)
- ps3 and Wii debut (The change over was fast and people did ditch their older systems)
- Dance pop gets hints
-Rip Sam goody
-"Thug" rap disappears completely from the charts, leaving only snap and other forms of pop rap in its place.  Aftermath began to decline in the 2004-2005 school year, but finally fell off for good in 2006.  50 Cent attempted one last stand in 2007, but fell short to Kanye West's Graduation album.  In my opinion, the last hip hop song of a truly mid-2000s nature was Ridin' by Chamillionaire
-Teen Titans is canceled

Written By: SmartBo1 on 08/06/18 at 1:32 pm

Don't worry, everyone knows the late 2006 shift is just a meme. I do agree with everything you said though. ;)

Written By: John Titor on 08/06/18 at 3:14 pm

Don't worry, everyone knows the late 2006 shift is just a meme. I do agree with everything you said though. ;)

not just a meme tho its a real shift

-  The Wb ended
- Upn Ended
- Football moves to Espn
- Dance pop gets hints
-Rip Sam goody
-Teen Titans is canceled

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 08/06/18 at 3:26 pm

Every year of the '00s had something of a shift, whether it be political, technological, or pop cultural.
In fact, I'd say 2006 would rank in the bottom 5 if you ranked the '00s by transformability.

Plus, even if these "shifts" in 2006 did happen, practically no one was "connecting the dots" and saw the shift when it happened. 2006 was actually a pretty quiet year compared to the years surrounding it. Katrina had already passed, and the '08 Election Campaign and Recession didn't start yet.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/06/18 at 3:48 pm

The only things that shifted about 2006 were TV (and yes, TV did take a huge shift throughout 2006, such as The WB and UPN merging into CW; and a lot of other network changes too and early 2000's shows coming to an end) and I would say 2006 was the bridge year between 6th generation gaming and 7th generation gaming (although most of the year was still 6th gen but the tail end of it in its prime). By 2006 the Nintendo DS had already replaced the Gameboy Advance especially by the time the Lite was released. Other than these factors there was never anything major about 2006. It was still part of the mid 2000's culturally (although late 2000's culture did emerge throughout Fall of that year) and politically and technology wise it was about the same as the previous couple years. Other than YouTube exploding throughout this year the internet websites and early social media were about the same too with MySpace at its peak and Facebook only being used by mostly college students. I consider 2006 to be the downgraded mid 2000's year.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/06/18 at 4:06 pm

-  The Wb ended
- Upn Ended
- Football moves to Espn
- Dance pop gets hints
-Rip Sam goody
-Teen Titans is canceled
but there were still other 00s shows airing such as Weeds, L Word, 24, Lost etc. Are you saying they're not 00s staples?

Football moving to another channel is not important.

The CW may have been huge when it launched, but it still aired the shows UPN and WB had.

Most people still used Windows XP.

The only 7th console people got in late 2006 was the Wii due to its appeal. Otherwise, the majority held on to the 6th gen systems except for PSP and DS.

Again, there were a few dance songs, but most were still of other genres

I don't think most people would just have a bluray player. DVDs were still common too.

Once again, hip hop wasn't the only genre dominating the 00s. What about R&B, emo rock, pop rock, etc.?

Written By: John Titor on 08/06/18 at 4:13 pm

The only things that shifted about 2006 were TV (and yes, TV did take a huge shift throughout 2006, such as The WB and UPN merging into CW; and a lot of other network changes too and early 2000's shows coming to an end) and I would say 2006 was the bridge year between 6th generation gaming and 7th generation gaming (although most of the year was still 6th gen but the tail end of it in its prime). By 2006 the Nintendo DS had already replaced the Gameboy Advance especially by the time the Lite was released. Other than these factors there was never anything major about 2006. It was still part of the mid 2000's culturally (although late 2000's culture did emerge throughout Fall of that year) and politically and technology wise it was about the same as the previous couple years. Other than YouTube exploding throughout this year the internet websites and early social media were about the same too with MySpace at its peak and Facebook only being used by mostly college students. I consider 2006 to be the downgraded mid 2000's year.

Facebook took off in march 2007 on the north east, everyone was using it
Myspace was still king but Facebook had heavy buzz around this time on the east coast
A lot of highschools were getting on the facebook wave in march of that year

Written By: John Titor on 08/06/18 at 4:16 pm

but there were still other 00s shows airing such as Weeds, L Word, 24, Lost etc. Are you saying they're not 00s staples?

The CW may have been huge when it launched, but it still aired the shows UPN and WB had.

Most people still used Windows XP.

The only 7th console people got in late 2006 was the Wii due to its appeal. Otherwise, the majority held on to the 6th gen systems except for PSP and DS.

Again, there were a few dance songs, but most were still of other genres

I don't think most people would just have a bluray player. DVDs were still common too.

Once again, hip hop wasn't the only genre dominating the 00s. What about R&B, emo rock, pop rock, etc.?

not true the xbox 360 was super popular people were actually getting that and the wii
the ps3 just sat there but it didnt get popular until 2009, never the less its still a shift

Emo and pop rock was dominating but this would be the last full year it would have dominance, 2008 and 2009 were not peak years for it
altho it was still a mass consumed genre, having phased out somewhere around aug 2009

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/06/18 at 4:27 pm

not true the xbox 360 was super popular people were actually getting that and the wii
the ps3 just sat there but it didnt get popular until 2009, never the less its still a shift

Emo and pop rock was dominating but this would be the last full year it would have dominance, 2008 and 2009 were not peak years for it
altho it was still a mass consumed genre, having phased out somewhere around aug 2009
How was it super popular? The 360 barely had any games by that time frame. Late 2007+ is when the console had more games as well as the important ones.

As for the Wii, it honestly appealed those who were casual gamers. Yeah, there were some games that hardcore players were into, but there wasn't much and later on, the system lost its novelty.

Never said they peaked in 2008-09. I'm just saying that there was more to music to at that point and the rest of late 00s than just electro dance songs.

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/06/18 at 5:10 pm

Before September 1st, 2006:
http://www.markramseymedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/happy_people.jpg
http://chance-real.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/C4C775B1FABB436AAAA367FE275A4F59.jpg
https://www.inspiringwomen.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/happy-woman-1024x682.jpg
https://www.theproducersperspective.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Cocktail-Party.jpg

September 1st, 2006 - present:
https://www.incimages.com/uploaded_files/image/970x450/getty_174893467_157911.jpg
https://www.deseretnews.com/images/article/hires/700515569/700515569.jpg
https://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/111221045719-north-korea-mourners-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg
https://tribktla.files.wordpress.com/2018/02/gettyimages-918320804.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&strip=all

Written By: mqg96 on 08/06/18 at 5:13 pm

There's no denial that 2006 was a huge shift for television. You can't deny this because it wasn't just the CW replacing UPN and WB, but even stations like Disney Channel and Nickelodeon shifted a little bit as well. As for the NFL, Roger Goodell took over as owner and Monday Night Football on ABC ended and has only been on ESPN ever since. There were a lot more TV changes too but I won't get into detail right now. Gaming changed to a little extent because you had the Nintendo DS (+Lite) and PSP in full force (which are 7th gen handhelds BTW) and early XBOX 360 while the Wii and PS3 came out towards the end of the year, but at the same time it was the final year 6th generation gaming peaked with the XBOX, Gamecube, and PS2, so that's why I say 2006 was the bridge between 6th and 7th gen gaming. When it comes to everything else about 2006 such as music, politics, and technology it was about the same. Early social media was about the same, even with YouTube becoming big by this year. I agree with SeaCaptainMan97 though that the changes throughout 2006 are bottom 5 compared to other years of the decade. I can come up with many years that were more transitional than 2006. 

v v v v

2001, 2003, 2004, 2008, 2009

Written By: John Titor on 08/06/18 at 5:32 pm

How was it super popular? The 360 barely had any games by that time frame. Late 2007+ is when the console had more games as well as the important ones.

As for the Wii, it honestly appealed those who were casual gamers. Yeah, there were some games that hardcore players were into, but there wasn't much and later on, the system lost its novelty.

Never said they peaked in 2008-09. I'm just saying that there was more to music to at that point and the rest of late 00s than just electro dance songs.

Gears of War, it was all over forums and everything, everyone was getting a 360 then, I remember 2006 360 ads on tv every 5 seconds, the hype for the then bad Sonic 2006

Written By: bchris02 on 08/06/18 at 5:50 pm

For me, I see the 2006 shift as being the final death knell of '90s and early 2000s culture.  I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me but in my opinion, late '90s culture took it's time fading away in the 2000s.  Politics changed abruptly after 9/11 but outside of that, I distinctly remember the '00s lacking a separate identity compared to the '90s.  It was the 2006 shift that finally pushed the '90s out completely and revealed the cultural identity of the '00s.

I mostly agree with John Titor except for on one thing.  Hipsters weren't even a thought yet in 2006.  We were nearing peak emo and peak MySpace at that time.  Hipster culture is mostly a '10s thing and the first signs of it were in 2009.  In addition to his list, I want to add a few more things.

-2006 was the last year that dial-up was a viable means of connecting to the Internet
-Was the last "Web 1.5" year
-Was the last year of classic PC gaming before the shift to greater focus on online multiplayer and less focus on single player.
-2006 was the last year that the economy was doing well prior to the Great Recession
-Bush's popularity declined rapidly in 2006 due to Iraq War fatigue.  Democrats took over Congress that fall.
-The distinct "late 2000s" sound in music becomes prominent that year.  Think bands like The Fray and Hinder.  Hip-hop evolves into it's more synth-heavy pre-trap sound.  Ringtone rap is at it's peak.
-The 2006-07 TV season was the quintessential late '00s TV season.  The Office, 24, Prison Break, Lost, CSI (all three shows), NCIS, Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, House, Two and a Half Men.

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/06/18 at 5:57 pm

NerdyGamer, everyone knows the world changed drastically on September 1st, 2006 12:00:00 AM. It was like a day/night change. The whole entire world started to suck immediately and everyone was no longer happy. In fact, it changed the world so much it even made TV Shows, movies, music, technology, fashion, and every single thing related to pop culture suck even more.

I learned about the late 2006 shift in history class even though I remember it like yesterday. I was in preschool and I saw my teacher crying and she told the class that there was a huge cultural shift going on and she said to us that the world officially sucks now. She made all the students cry, including me, and she told us that the world will never ever be the same again.

I remember in 2nd grade when my class took a trip to the "Late 2006 Shift Memorial Museum" and the museum gave us a history lesson on how the world was before the huge shift. I even saw my teacher crying and saying "I miss the times before this shift". And my whole entire class said, "Me too". We all remember the late 2006 shift and we all remember a time before it happened, and we all agreed that things were so much better before the shift happened, and we all know that the world will never ever be the same. We can still feel the effects of the late 2006 shift today. They haven't gone away, and they never will.

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/06/18 at 6:02 pm

It changed everything and nothing was the same since

Rip Good Things: 4 billion b.c. - September 1 2006

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/533/709/8ae.gif

Written By: John Titor on 08/06/18 at 6:08 pm

For me, I see the 2006 shift as being the final death knell of '90s and early 2000s culture.  I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me but in my opinion, late '90s culture took it's time fading away in the 2000s.  Politics changed abruptly after 9/11 but outside of that, I distinctly remember the '00s lacking a separate identity compared to the '90s.  It was the 2006 shift that finally pushed the '90s out completely and revealed the cultural identity of the '00s.

I mostly agree with John Titor except for on one thing.  Hipsters weren't even a thought yet in 2006.  We were nearing peak emo and peak MySpace at that time.  Hipster culture is mostly a '10s thing and the first signs of it were in 2009.  In addition to his list, I want to add a few more things.

-2006 was the last year that dial-up was a viable means of connecting to the Internet
-Was the last year of classic PC gaming before the shift to greater focus on online multiplayer and less focus on single player.
-2006 was the last year that the economy was doing well prior to the Great Recession
-Bush's popularity declined rapidly in 2006 due to Iraq War fatigue.  Democrats took over Congress that fall.
-The distinct "late 2000s" sound in music becomes prominent that year.  Think bands like The Fray and Hinder.  Hip-hop evolves into it's more synth-heavy pre-trap sound.  Ringtone rap is at it's peak.
-The 2006-07 TV season was the quintessential late '00s TV season.  The Office, 24, Prison Break, Lost, CSI (all three shows), NCIS, Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, House, Two and a Half Men.

7agPOt1XZz8 from 2006, very early hipster influence (American Apparel  before it blew up in 2008)
That store was a buzzword back in 2006, very very low key

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/06/18 at 6:12 pm

What are your thoughts on this?

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/16242528/ns/us_news-life/t/time-magazines-person-year-you/#.W2jVfdJKg2w

Written By: bchris02 on 08/06/18 at 6:21 pm

What are your thoughts on this?

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/16242528/ns/us_news-life/t/time-magazines-person-year-you/#.W2jVfdJKg2w

Yes I remember that but had forgotten about it.  I think it was an excellent gimmick.  I really miss YouTube during that era.  It still had it's "wild west" feel and most of the videos were poor quality home videos filmed with digital cameras.  I really wish my situation in my personal life would have been different because I would have loved to get in on YouTube back in the day.

Written By: John Titor on 08/06/18 at 6:24 pm

Yes I remember that but had forgotten about it.  I think it was an excellent gimmick.  I really miss YouTube during that era.  It still had it's "wild west" feel and most of the videos were poor quality home videos filmed with digital cameras.  I really wish my situation in my personal life would have been different because I would have loved to get in on YouTube back in the day.

Early youtube was legit, mostly due to people using them on their myspace pages

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/06/18 at 6:50 pm

Gears of War, it was all over forums and everything, everyone was getting a 360 then, I remember 2006 360 ads on tv every 5 seconds, the hype for the then bad Sonic 2006.
That's only two games. Besides them and Saint's row, most of the 360 significant games didn't come out until late 2007 and on. To say the 360 was very popular in 2006 is laughable. I even had one myself that year and there wasn't much to play.

Written By: Dundee on 08/06/18 at 7:24 pm

not just a meme tho its a real shift

-  The Wb ended
- Upn Ended
- Football moves to Espn
- Dance pop gets hints
-Rip Sam goody
-Teen Titans is canceled

Literally none of those are significant in any way, shape or form lol. Just a bunch of stuff that are slowly on their way out or starting to gain track, something that happens like every year.

Written By: John Titor on 08/06/18 at 7:45 pm

That's only two games. Besides them and Saint's row, most of the 360 significant games didn't come out until late 2007 and on. To say the 360 was very popular in 2006 is laughable. I even had one myself that year and there wasn't much to play.

There wasn't much to play but the hype was real, it was very popular, everyone I knew wanted to get a 360
even when ps3 came out

Written By: John Titor on 08/06/18 at 7:45 pm

Literally none of those are significant in any way, shape or form lol. Just a bunch of stuff that are slowly on their way out or starting to gain track, something that happens like every year.

Pretty sure we use Facebook to this day
and 2006 is when Disney fully changed

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/06/18 at 7:51 pm

-  The Wb ended
- Upn Ended
- Football moves to Espn
- Dance pop gets hints
-Rip Sam goody
-Teen Titans is canceled

https://memegenerator.net/img/images/16774909.jpg

Written By: mqg96 on 08/06/18 at 10:08 pm

When it comes to TV in the 2000's I believe 2004 and 2006 had the biggest shifts, but yeah overall I completely agree when it comes to 2006 (which is the topic of this thread) there wasn't enough too impacting or significant like politics or technology would usually do.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/06/18 at 10:10 pm

http://chance-real.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/C4C775B1FABB436AAAA367FE275A4F59.jpg
https://www.inspiringwomen.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/happy-woman-1024x682.jpg
https://www.theproducersperspective.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Cocktail-Party.jpg

https://www.incimages.com/uploaded_files/image/970x450/getty_174893467_157911.jpg
https://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/111221045719-north-korea-mourners-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg
https://tribktla.files.wordpress.com/2018/02/gettyimages-918320804.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&strip=all

NerdyGamer, everyone knows the world changed drastically on September 1st, 2006 12:00:00 AM. It was like a day/night change. The whole world started to suck immediately, and everyone was no longer happy. In fact, it changed the world so much it even made TV Shows, movies, music, technology, fashion, and every single thing related to pop culture suck even more.

I learned about the late 2006 shift in history class even though I remember it like yesterday. I was in preschool, and I saw my teacher crying, and she told the students that there was a substantial cultural shift going on and she said to us that the world officially sucks now. She made all the students cry, including me, and she told us that the world would never be the same again.

I remember in 2nd grade when my class took a trip to the "Late 2006 Shift Memorial Museum" and the museum gave us a history lesson on how the world was before the huge shift. I even saw my teacher crying and saying "I miss the times before this shift." And my entire class said, "Me too." We all remember the late 2006 shift, and we all remember a time before it happened, and we all agreed that things were so much better before the shift happened, and we all know that the world will never be the same. We can still feel the effects of the late 2006 shift today. They haven't gone away, and they never will.
I understand. Pre-september 2006 days were the best and can't be outdone! ;) :D. Since then, we've been awful times to the point where everything is sh!t and always will be.

None of those are significant in any way, shape or form lol. Just a bunch of stuff that is slowly on their way out or starting to gain track, something that happens like every year.
Agreed! It sucks how she is overestimating how changeful 2006 was. The pop culture that year was similar to the previous years.

There wasn't much to play, but the hype was real. It was prevalent, everyone I knew wanted to get a 360 even when ps3 came out.
Of course, the hype for the 360 was massive; however, that doesn't mean everyone wanted to buy one during its early days. I think they wanted to wait for the right time. As for the PS3, you're right that no one was even thinking about getting one, but that was due to the insane price at the time.

There's no denying that 2006 was a huge shift for television. You can't deny this because it wasn't just the CW replacing UPN and WB, but even stations like Disney Channel and Nickelodeon shifted a little bit as well. As for the NFL, Roger Goodell took over as owner and Monday Night Football on ABC ended and has only been on ESPN ever since. There were a lot more TV changes too, but I won't get into detail right now. Gaming changed to a little extent because you had the Nintendo DS (+Lite) and PSP in full force (which are 7th gen handhelds BTW) and early XBOX 360 while the Wii and PS3 came out towards the end of the year. At the same time though, it was the final year 6th generation gaming peaked with the XBOX, Gamecube, and PS2, so that's why I say 2006 was the bridge between 6th and 7th gen gaming. When it comes to everything else about 2006 such as music, politics, and technology it was about the same. Early social media was about the same, even with YouTube becoming big by this year. I agree with SeaCaptainMan97 though that the changes throughout 2006 are bottom five compared to other years of the decade. I can come up with many years that were more transitional than 2006. 

v v v v

2001, 2003, 2004, 2008, 2009
Oh, I do not deny at all. I understand that the CW being a new channel was a huge deal since it replaced UPN and WB combining them into one. However, it still showed most of the same programming from the two defunct channels.

Regarding the NFL, Monday Night Football may have only been on ESPN since then, but that's not the only day besides Sunday to watch that sport. Thursday Night Football is significant as well, and it's on multiple channels.

I agree that Disney Channel and Nickelodeon did have vast changes, but they are minor due to that they're both a kids network and wouldn't affect the overall culture.

I did mention that PSP and NDS were already popular since Sony and Nintendo released them a year or two earlier. I even had both of them myself that same year as well (I had the PSP first and then the NDS that Christmas). I understand that 2006 could be a bridge between 6th and 7th gen gaming. However, that year was still primarily confined to the former. Famous games people played that year include Shadow the Hedgehog, Pac-Man World 3, The Chronicles of Narnia, Super Mario Strikers, Soul Calibur 3, 007: Russia With Love, Guitar Hero, DDR: Mario Mix, Mario Party 7, and Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves (all of these came out in 2005 but were popular in 2006). Now the ones that came in 2006 and were big that year were Ape Escape 3, Sonic Riders, Kingdom Hearts II, Drakengard 2, Burnout Revenge, Metal Gear Solid 3, Super Dragon Ball Z, Scarface and Mortal Kombat: Armageddon.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/06/18 at 10:42 pm

Like I said and I will repeat it again.  The 2006 shift, in my opinion, is less about some dramatic new direction in pop culture and more about the last vestiges of the '90s and Y2K era being pushed out.  It's more about what ended in 2006 vs what began that year.

Written By: John Titor on 08/07/18 at 12:37 pm

Like I said and I will repeat it again.  The 2006 shift, in my opinion, is less about some dramatic new direction in pop culture and more about the last vestiges of the '90s and Y2K era being pushed out.  It's more about what ended in 2006 vs what began that year.

Facebook began that year for the gp and we use it to this day
Youtube became a house hold name and we use it to this day
Blu Ray became a house hold name and we use it to this day
Online gaming reached critical mainstream and we use it to this day

I get what you are saying tho

Written By: mqg96 on 08/07/18 at 12:41 pm

Online gaming reached critical mainstream for handhelds in 2005 while online gaming reached critical mainstream for consoles in 2007 IMO.

Written By: John Titor on 08/07/18 at 1:31 pm

Online gaming reached critical mainstream for handhelds in 2005 while online gaming reached critical mainstream for consoles in 2007 IMO.

xbox 360 in 2006 gears a war was a breakthru

Written By: Dundee on 08/08/18 at 6:37 am

I get what you are saying tho
Sure for Facebook and Youtube but those were progressive ascensions throughtout the late 2000s, not things that were huge overnight in 2006, plus they just took the Myspace niche from the mid-2000s.
Blue Rays pretty much evaporated since streaming became a household thing in 2013, so they're pretty irrevalant. Plus they aren't that big of a change from normal dvds.

I disagree for the online gaming, like mqp1996, I think 2005 and 2007 were more pivotal years for it.

I also disagree with the 90s vestiges statement.

Written By: John Titor on 08/08/18 at 12:35 pm

Sure for Facebook and Youtube but those were progressive ascensions throughtout the late 2000s, not things that were huge overnight in 2006, plus they just took the Myspace niche from the mid-2000s.
Blue Rays pretty much evaporated since streaming became a household thing in 2013, so they're pretty irrevalant. Plus they aren't that big of a change from normal dvds.

I disagree for the online gaming, like mqp1996, I think 2005 and 2007 were more pivotal years for it.

I  never made a 90s vestiges statement

Written By: Dundee on 08/08/18 at 1:04 pm

I  never made a 90s vestiges statement
I never said you made that statement

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 08/08/18 at 1:34 pm

There were absolutely no 90's vestiges in 2006, or 2005.

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/08/18 at 1:43 pm

I agree.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/08/18 at 1:49 pm

If you would have been born 10 years earlier you probably would think differently.  The '90s trickled away very slowly in the '00s.  There wasn't much but there was still echoes of it as late as 2006.  Many examples have been mentioned in this thread already. The political shift was abrupt but pop culturally it was a slow transition and it took a while for the '00s to really develop their own identity.

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 08/08/18 at 2:05 pm

If you would have been born 10 years earlier you probably would think differently.  The '90s trickled away very slowly in the '00s.  There wasn't much but there was still echoes of it as late as 2006.  Many examples have been mentioned in this thread already. The political shift was abrupt but pop culturally it was a slow transition and it took a while for the '00s to really develop their own identity.

I disagree, I think the 90's were pretty much dead by 9/11, but small vestiges lingered until the beginning of 2004.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/08/18 at 2:35 pm

I disagree, I think the 90's were pretty much dead by 9/11, but small vestiges lingered until the beginning of 2004.

I don't like being ageist but as somebody who was 15 in 2000 and turned 20 in 2005, I would say I have a pretty good perspective on the '90s and the 2000s.

Written By: John Titor on 08/08/18 at 3:05 pm

the 90s died during summer 2001,  9/11 is an easy point to cap it off where the Official start of the 2000s happened.

I remember teen pop was very uncool during Fall 2001, most artists had readapted and went for a more mature vibe.

By the time we got to the 2001-2002 school year that fall

-Teen pop fell off
- The y2k vibe was gone
-  Ps2 was taking over with its DVD player and GTA 3
- DVDS were the it thing
- WWF was a shell of its former self
- Juicy Couture started becoming an it item
-  Vhs was losing its luster
- Skater culture starts taking off
-  Fox Kids is sold to Abc Family
- Bradlees ends

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 08/08/18 at 3:51 pm

I don't like being ageist but as somebody who was 15 in 2000 and turned 20 in 2005, I would say I have a pretty good perspective on the '90s and the 2000s.

What's that got to with anything I just said?

Written By: bchris02 on 08/08/18 at 11:41 pm

What's that got to with anything I just said?

You were in early childhood during the era we are talking about.  It's hard to have the same kind of grasp on an era at that age as you do as an adult.

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 08/09/18 at 12:17 am

You were in early childhood during the era we are talking about.  It's hard to have the same kind of grasp on an era at that age as you do as an adult.

Using that as your argument is a pretty weak justification for me not understanding a time period. Given the various sources of information at my fingertips ripe for analysis, whether it be online articles, music, novels, or movies, etc.

Written By: Dundee on 08/09/18 at 3:27 am

Ugh @ the "you weren't there so shut up" argument

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/10/18 at 9:55 pm

Like I said, and I will repeat it. The 2006 shift, in my opinion, is less about some dramatic new direction in pop culture and more about the last vestiges of the '90s and Y2K era being pushed out.  It's more about what ended in 2006 vs. what began that year.
What are some examples you can list?

Sure for Facebook and Youtube but those were progressive ascensions throughout the late 2000s, not things that were huge overnight in 2006, plus they just took the Myspace niche from the mid-2000s.
Blue Rays pretty much evaporated since streaming became a household thing in 2013, so they're pretty irrelevant. Plus they aren't that big of a change from standard DVDs.

I disagree with the online gaming, like mqg1996, I think 2005 and 2007 were more pivotal years for it.

This! for people to say that Facebook and Youtube were overnight sensations in 2006 is not only laughable but also inaccurate. Most people at that time didn't have social media and was not watching Youtube videos at all. I don't even remember my friends, family or anyone else around me talking about both sites either.

I also agree with the Blu Ray part. They're practically just a 720p or 1080p version of DVDs. I can't think of anything on what makes them different from DVDs.

xbox 360 in 2006 gears a war was a breakthrough.
It was a success, but one game was not enough to pull a massive audience during that time especially that the 360 barely had anything to offer. Except for NDS and PSPs, it was common for the general public to still hold onto the 6th gaming consoles in 2006.

Written By: John Titor on 08/11/18 at 12:03 pm

What are some examples you can list?
This! for people to say that Facebook and Youtube were overnight sensations in 2006 is not only laughable but also inaccurate. Most people at that time didn't have social media and was not watching Youtube videos at all. I don't even remember my friends, family or anyone else around me talking about both sites either.

I also agree with the Blu Ray part. They're practically just a 720p or 1080p version of DVDs. I can't think of anything on what makes them different from DVDs.
It was a success, but one game was not enough to pull a massive audience during that time especially that the 360 barely had anything to offer. Except for NDS and PSPs, it was common for the general public to still hold onto the 6th gaming consoles in 2006.

Youtube was on the cover of Time magazine in 2006 lol
Myspace was the 1# most visited website in America even beating google in 2006, pretty sure like almost everyone had social media

Written By: Slim95 on 08/11/18 at 12:21 pm

The 2006 shift was not as significant as the 2008 shift.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/11/18 at 12:23 pm

I agree. '90s died in 1999.

Written By: piecesof93 on 08/11/18 at 12:27 pm

Myspace was the 1# most visited website in America even beating google in 2006, pretty sure like almost everyone had social media

Myspace, beebo, aim, youtube, blogs like wordpress, some of the tripod websites, chatrooms

Written By: John Titor on 08/11/18 at 2:24 pm

Myspace, beebo, aim, youtube, blogs like wordpress, some of the tripod websites, chatrooms

yupp

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/14/18 at 8:21 pm

It may have been on the cover of Time magazine, but Youtube was still its early stages that year. it was still common for people not to know what it was.

Myspace was the 1# most visited website in America even beating Google in 2006, pretty sure like almost everyone had social media

Myspace, Bebo, aim, youtube, blogs like WordPress, some of the tripod websites, chatrooms
Those sites were popular, but only young people used them then. Besides, the majority of the public still didn't use social media considering it was 16% in 2006. Oh, and add to the fact that one could also only access them using a PC with broadband during those days.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/273035/share-of-us-adult-internet-users-who-use-social-networking-sites/

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/14/18 at 8:52 pm

How was that woman able to jump so high?

Written By: Dundee on 08/14/18 at 9:14 pm

She lived before the shift

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/14/18 at 9:41 pm

Written By: bchris02 on 08/14/18 at 10:52 pm

Friends lasted until 2004, and that show is a '90s staple.  Most people on this board don't agree with me here but I think the transition from the '90s to the '00s was much more gradual than the shift from the '00s to the '10s.  Somebody did one of these for the '00s to '10s in another thread so I'll do it for the '90s to '00s.

1997: 95% 90s, 5% 00s
1998: 80% 90s, 20% 00s
1999: 60% 90s, 40% 00s
2000: 40% 90s, 60% 00s
2001: 30% 90s, 70% 00s
2002: 20% 90s, 80% 00s
2003: 15% 90s, 85% 00s
2004: 10% 90s, 90% 00s
2005: 5% 90s, 95% 00s
2006: 100% 00s (the shift)

Written By: Slim95 on 08/14/18 at 11:15 pm

Friends lasted until 2004, and that show is a '90s staple.  Most people on this board don't agree with me here but I think the transition from the '90s to the '00s was much more gradual than the shift from the '00s to the '10s.  Somebody did one of these for the '00s to '10s in another thread so I'll do it for the '90s to '00s.

Not even close. 2006 was actually the first year we were no longer 100% 2000s. The '90s were looooong gone by then, and the 2000s were well past their peak ('00s culture peaked in 2005). 1999 was the last '90s year.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/15/18 at 2:14 am

A low angled shot makes the prospective seem higher.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/15/18 at 5:50 am

Thank you for explaining the obvious.

Written By: Dundee on 08/15/18 at 6:48 am

Thank you for explaining the obvious.
No problem, you're welcome :)

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/15/18 at 8:09 am

You may disagree with me, but I think that the absolute start of the 90's/00's transition was in 1996.

That was when the Telecommunications Act was passed and by the end of the year, about a fourth of America had access to the Internet.

http://www.people-press.org/1996/12/16/online-use/

Additionally, it was around the time when many 90's shows ended - The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Rocko's Modern Life, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Rescue 911, and The Adventures of Pete and Pete all ended in 1996.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/15/18 at 8:15 am

The woman in that jumping photo is probably 35-40 now.

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/15/18 at 9:01 am

The woman in that jumping photo is probably 35-40 now.

Either way, she'll never be as happy as she was before the shift.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/15/18 at 9:25 am

Is it guaranteed that the photo was taken before the shift?

Written By: Dundee on 08/15/18 at 9:32 am

Is it guaranteed that the photo was taken before the shift?
Jump heights declined a lot after the famous 2006 shift, the world has never been the same since :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/15/18 at 9:36 am

Jump heights declined a lot after the famous 2006 shift, the world has never been the same since :(
Too much jumping causes earthquakes?  ;D

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/15/18 at 10:19 am

Too much jumping causes earthquakes?  ;D

Not really. On September 1, 2006, the Earth's gravity became much stronger. As a result, no one is able to jump that high anymore.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/15/18 at 10:22 am

August 31, 2006 at 11:59 PM:  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

September 1, 2006 at 12:00 AM:  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/15/18 at 6:12 pm

On September 1, 2006 at 12:00 AM, she realized that the area she jumped on no longer existed and had to get a job so she can gain money to move close to an area that is similar.

Even though she already moved to a house close to that area, it still does not feel the same as where she used to be and she will never be as happy as she was before.

Written By: Dundee on 08/16/18 at 8:25 am

The 2000s had no cultural identity, therefore the only correct percentages should go like this:

2000: 100% 90s
2001: 100% 90s
2002: 100% 90s
2003: 100% 90s
2004: 100% 90s
2005: 100% 90s
January 1st 2006-One second before the horrible shift that changed everything and everything turned to crap: 100% 90s
The shift: 100% 2010s
2007: 100% 2010s
2008: 100% 2010s
2009: 100% 2010s

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/16/18 at 8:57 am

You may disagree with me, but I think that the absolute start of the 90's/00's transition was in 1996.

That was when the Telecommunications Act was passed and by the end of the year, about a fourth of America had access to the Internet.

http://www.people-press.org/1996/12/16/online-use/

Additionally, it was around the time when many 90's shows ended - The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Rocko's Modern Life, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Rescue 911, and The Adventures of Pete and Pete all ended in 1996.

But that didn't necessarily signify that 2000s culture was creeping in though. 1996 is still culturally entranced in the 90s. Perhaps not as hard core as say 1994-1995, but still within the core of that decade, similar to 1993 in a way. 1992-1996 are undeniably 90s from a cultural & technological standpoint, and that had to do with the internet starting to finally become commercialized (instead of being very niche in the 80s & prior) after the official launch of the World Wide Web in 91', but not at the levels of popularization as the very late 90s/early 00s.

By using the internet as an example, one could make the claim that 1995 could be the start of the transition because of Windows 95 (which was certainly a big player) debuting & making internet access more readily available. Or how about 1994, due to the launch of Netscape navigator, one of the first online browsers that was easy to use & available for much of the general public. The point is that, by simply just going off of the gradual rise in popularity of the internet as an example as to why 2000s culture was starting to become prominent doesn't make much sense. By that notion, one could theoretically claim that as early as 1991 was when we started to culturally transition to the 2000s due to the launch of the WWW itself, which obviously doesn't make sense.

1990s internet was profoundly different from 2000s internet. The internet was merely a hot commodity in the 90s, while in the 2000s (especially after 2004) it was practically a necessity. Hence why using the internet as a factor in the transition of 90s/00s culture isn't really the greatest indicator. But if you're going to use it, then it is noteworthy to point out that internet usage rates didn't hit the 50% mark until 2000, which coincides with other technological breakthroughs like the launch of Nokia which led to mobile phones becoming popular & the launch of PS2 (& DVDs in general starting to become commercially viable to most people).

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/16/18 at 10:02 am

But that didn't necessarily signify that 2000s culture was creeping in though. 1996 is still culturally entranced in the 90s. Perhaps not as hard core as say 1994-1995, but still within the core of that decade, similar to 1993 in a way. 1992-1996 are undeniably 90s from a cultural & technological standpoint, and that had to do with the internet starting to finally become commercialized (instead of being very niche in the 80s & prior) after the official launch of the World Wide Web in 91', but not at the levels of popularization as the very late 90s/early 00s.

By using the internet as an example, one could make the claim that 1995 could be the start of the transition because of Windows 95 (which was certainly a big player) debuting & making internet access more readily available. Or how about 1994, due to the launch of Netscape navigator, one of the first online browsers that was easy to use & available for much of the general public. The point is that, by simply just going off of the gradual rise in popularity of the internet as an example as to why 2000s culture was starting to become prominent doesn't make much sense. By that notion, one could theoretically claim that as early as 1991 was when we started to culturally transition to the 2000s due to the launch of the WWW itself, which obviously doesn't make sense.

1990s internet was profoundly different from 2000s internet. The internet was merely a hot commodity in the 90s, while in the 2000s (especially after 2004) it was practically a necessity. Hence why using the internet as a factor in the transition of 90s/00s culture isn't really the greatest indicator. But if you're going to use it, then it is noteworthy to point out that internet usage rates didn't hit the 50% mark until 2000, which coincides with other technological breakthroughs like the launch of Nokia which led to mobile phones becoming popular & the launch of PS2 (& DVDs in general starting to become commercially viable to most people).

That's what I meant. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/16/18 at 10:06 am

The 2000s had no cultural identity, therefore the only correct percentages should go like this:

January 1st 2006-One second before the horrible shift that changed everything and everything turned to crap: 100% 90s

You know, this is probably the most accurate chart I have ever seen.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/16/18 at 10:52 am

12:00AM January 1st 2000-11:59PM August 31st 2006 = 1990s Afterglow

THE VERY SPLIT MILLISECOND BETWEEN 11:59PM & 12:00AM August 31st 2006-September 1st 2006 = The 2000s

12:00AM September 1st 2006-Present = THE DREADED 2010S....  :(

https://media.giphy.com/media/L4caiF7GTkgJa/giphy.gif

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/16/18 at 11:17 am

THE VERY SPLIT MILLISECOND BETWEEN 11:59PM & 12:00AM August 31st 2006-September 1st 2006 = The 2000s

The Earth's gravity became much stronger once September 1, 2006 arrived.

No one is able to jump as high as they did before the infamous 2006 shft.

Written By: xris on 08/16/18 at 12:02 pm

The shift at Disney Channel probably started in 2005 with The Suite Life of Zack and Cody.
However, it exploded with Hannah Montana (2006) and followed by Wizards of Waverly Place (2007), Sonny with a Chance (2009) and Jonas (2009). By 2012 those were cancelled, but later shows like Dog With A Blog and Good Luck Charly were also part of this silver age of Disney Channel.

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/16/18 at 2:09 pm

I agree with this 100%. Good job.

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/16/18 at 2:12 pm

I remember during the shift my preschool teacher told us that the world officially sucks now and that she feels bad for my generation for not experiencing the 90's afterglow in its entirety.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/16/18 at 3:29 pm

Friends lasted until 2004, and that show is a '90s staple.  Most people on this board don't agree with me here, but I think the transition from the '90s to the '00s was much more gradual than the shift from the '00s to the '10s.  Somebody did one of these for the '00s to '10s in another thread so I'll do it for the '90s to '00s.

I agree there was a gradual change from the 90s into the 00s, but I disagree there were any 90s vibes until 2006. There may have been a few 90s TV staples still on in the mid-00s, but most shows by then were from the 00s itself.

Not even close. 2006 was the first year we were no longer 100% 2000s. The '90s had been over by then, and the 2000s were well past their peak ('00s culture peaked in 2005). 1999 was the last '90s year of the era.
Well past their peak? I disagree with that. There's no way 00s culture could have declined in 2006.  Everything from films, video games, fashion, music, etc. that defined the decade was still huge.

The shift at Disney Channel probably started in 2005 with The Suite Life of Zack and Cody.
However, it exploded with Hannah Montana (2006) and followed by Wizards of Waverly Place (2007), Sonny with a Chance (2009) and Jonas (2009). By 2012 those were canceled but later shows like Dog With A Blog and Good Luck Charly were also part of this silver age of Disney Channel.
There was a shift with the Disney Channel and all, but they were minor and didn't affect the overall atmosphere.

The Earth's gravity became much stronger once September 1, 2006 arrived.

No one can jump as high as they did before the infamous 2006 shift.

I remember during the shift my preschool teacher told us that the world officially sucks now and that she feels bad for my generation for not experiencing the 90's afterglow in its entirety.
Since the infamous shift, we've been in the apocalypse and we're trapped forever and ever and ever and ever and ever. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Written By: xris on 08/16/18 at 4:08 pm

There was a shift with the Disney Channel and all, but they were minor and didn't affect the overall atmosphere.
Then you don't remember the constant news about Miley and her show. Or the constant outcry by prudish parents she might be the Devil. ;D

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 08/20/18 at 9:56 pm

No offense to anyone, but I'm gonna admit, the jokes about the late 2006 shift are now becoming far more annoying than the notion of the shift itself.
Yes, there are some users that over exaggerate the shift, as there are users, including on other sites, that over exaggerate other shifts as well. We get it. No need to make a bazillion memes about it.

I feel like we need to start incorporating more discussions about specific media series on this site, because the discussions and jokes about decadeology and "shifts" have honestly been run into the planet's core and out the other side, and the whole inthe00s community is honestly being dulled out because of it.

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/20/18 at 10:08 pm

No offense to anyone, but I'm gonna admit, the jokes about the late 2006 shift are now becoming far more annoying than the notion of the shift itself.
Yes, there are some users that over exaggerate the shift, as there are users, including on other sites, that over exaggerate other shifts as well. We get it. No need to make a bazillion memes about it.

I feel like we need to start incorporating more discussions about specific media series on this site, because the discussions and jokes about decadeology and "shifts" have honestly been run into the planet's core and out the other side, and the whole inthe00s community is honestly being dulled out because of it.

https://i.imgur.com/arDVPp7.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...