inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 2000s were not a good decade

Written By: bchris02 on 08/06/18 at 11:04 pm

A lot of people are nostalgic for various aspects of the 2000s and while it did have a lot of good pop culture, when you think about it, was it really a good decade?  I think I see why they call it the decade from hell.

- The most optimistic part of the 2000s was the Y2K era.  That all ended on 9/11/2001.  Bush v Gore at the end of 2000 was a foreshadowing of what was to come.
- 9/11/2001 was the date that set the tone for the rest of the decade
- Quickly George W. Bush starts the war in Afghanistan and soon afterwards begins to build a case to invade Iraq
- Also in 2001, the economy goes into recession because of the dot-com bust
- 2003; Iraq is invaded
- 2004 - Massachusetts legalizes same-sex marriage, invoking a nationwide homophobic backlash.  Culture was quite homophobic through this era.
- 2005 - Hurricane Katrina hits.  It was by far the worst natural disaster and the worst response by the US government in modern history.
- 2006 - the housing bubble bursts, setting the stage for the Great Recession
- 2007-2008 - Oil prices skyrocket.  Gasoline prices skyrocket in a very short amount of time, peaking at $4 nationally during the summer of 2008
- 2008 - Great Recession begins.  The ensuing financial panic would be the worst since the Great Depression
- 2009 - Obama becomes President, but disappoints initially as it becomes clear there is no quick fix for the economy
- December 31, 2009 - The decade ends with a sliver of optimism as it appears the worst of the recession might be over

The '10s have had their own challenges, most notably the culture war and the school shootings, but thus far you can say there really hasn't been much of the kind of magnitude we saw in the 2000s.  We've been at war but nothing on the scale of or with the kind of casualties we saw in Iraq.  The economy has been slowly improving throughout the entire decade.  The year 2000 itself was the only time during the 2000s where the economy was as strong as the late 2010s.  I think while the 2000s had pop culture it was just not a good decade to come of age in.  Thoughts?

Subject: Re: The 2000s were not a good decade

Written By: piecesof93 on 08/07/18 at 1:01 am

2000s was a great decade actually.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/07/18 at 1:08 am

I don't think of it as a "bad" decade, but all of those things you listed were essential aspects of the 2000s and they all affected me, although what kind of disappointed me about Obama was his desire to compromise with Republicans despite having a democratic supermajority even though they made it clear that they wanted nothing but the worst for him.

I miss...

1. the 2000s Y2K
2. 2000s indie scene (the 2010s indie scene is complete trash in comparison)
3. The shift away from the 2000s

Written By: Dundee on 08/07/18 at 6:12 am

I'm sorry but if we gonna judge decades by how many big tragedies happen in them then none of the decades are good.

I have a feeling this thread was purposefuly created to be clickbait/attention-grabbing.

Written By: 2001 on 08/07/18 at 6:29 am

I don't want to say it's a bad devade, but I definitely prefer the 2010s by far. What I find funny is that a lot of things people criticize the 2010s for was true in the 2000s too. I hate how the 2000s has been whitewashed into being viewed as this pre-high tech, pre-social media, pre-political tensions sort of time.

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/07/18 at 6:31 am

I feel that a big mistake was the Fed making all those rate cuts as the dot-com bust unfolded, this lead to that housing bubble and the next recession, while dampening the appeal of safe haven investments and causing all the new money created in the '90s to evaporate. Let's not forget that China seemed to be the future of the world just like Japan seemed in the the '70s/early '80s. Thanks to the Internet now utilizing its full potential, culture took a colder, more inane feel compared to the more mechanical feel of the old Millennium. That decade technologically certainly has set the tone for the 21st century so far, with of course the development of the cellphone (and eventually the smartphone) leading the way, along with software development (which eventually meant "app" instead of "program") that was led by social media. The generation gap seemed to be the biggest in decades as well as Baby Boomers were late in their career, in contrast to Generation X who were still early in their career, along with the first wave of Millennials making a living. Rap was still a widely hated genre due to its oversaturation, most infamously the snap rap.

It wasn't all bad as crime was at a 40+ year low, and there weren't as many school shootings at this decade, with of course 9/11 providing the benefit of increase security, though of course this made access more difficult in many circumstances, most notably at airports.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/07/18 at 9:15 am

Write a huge summary of its flaws, It still ain't taking away my love for the decade.

Written By: John Titor on 08/07/18 at 12:32 pm

Write a huge summary of its flaws, It still ain't taking away my love for the decade.

Exactly,

yes we had 9/11 and the economy crash,  War (and yes homophobia was rampant in the 90s and 80s 2)

But for the majority the decade it had good culture, everything was Balanced , just the right amount of going outside and tech.
Music was more Pop culture if that makes sense.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/07/18 at 12:44 pm

Ugh, somebody ban this liberal wierdo please...

Don't insult my man bchris like that, you have no idea what he went through in his heavily extreme conservative family growing up.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/07/18 at 1:15 pm

Okay, that wasn't nice, so I'm reworded this post, but can the liberals on this site do a better job of keeping their political views to their selves?  It's okay to have some liberal viewpoints, but I don't like extremism.  If it were a conservative doing this, I'd criticize them as well for the same reasons.

His analysis is actually pretty neutral if you ask me. And even so, if it were 'Liberal extremism' (whatever that mean) whats wrong with being able to express those opinions? The Right-Wing always claims to be warriors for free-speech, but it seems that whenever the foot is on the other foot they're the first to call it 'Liberal Bias' or 'Immoral'.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/07/18 at 1:21 pm

Okay, that wasn't nice, so I'm reworded this post, but can the liberals on this site do a better job of keeping their political views to their selves?  It's okay to have some liberal viewpoints, but I don't like extremism.  If it were a conservative doing this, I'd criticize them as well for the same reasons.

These days, saying you don't like Trump is extremism to a lot of you right-wingers. Not our fault he's so gd embarrassing.

And what's so extreme about bchris' post?

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/07/18 at 1:24 pm

His analysis is actually pretty neutral if you ask me. And even so, if it were 'Liberal extremism' (whatever that mean) whats wrong with being able to express those opinions? The Right-Wing always claims to be warriors for free-speech, but it seems that whenever the foot is on the other foot they're the first to call it 'Liberal Bias' or 'Immoral'.

See them freaking out about infowars?

They're barely getting a taste of what it's like to feel the humiliation and despair that comes from business owners denying LGBT service for being who they are and they lose their freakin minds.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/07/18 at 1:33 pm

Who said I was a Trump supporter?  And let's not have a flame war and try to keep this civil please...

I'll "keep this civil", but I ain't censoring my political opinions.

Written By: John Titor on 08/07/18 at 1:33 pm

This.

The 2000s was better than the 90s lmao

as someone who remembers all of it

Written By: bchris02 on 08/07/18 at 1:35 pm

I agree that even bad decades can be beloved.  I don't think the 1970s were a good decade with the political tensions, Nixon, oil crisis, stagflation, Jimmy Carter, etc but it's one of the most beloved decades and had some of the best music ever made.

These days, saying you don't like Trump is extremism to a lot of you right-wingers. Not our fault he's so gd embarrassing.

And what's so extreme about bchris' post?

Thanks.  I don't see what was extreme about my post other than I mentioned the anti-gay backlash in the mid 2000s, but that was very much a part of the culture then.  If you were a high school or college aged male, some of the unspoken social rules you had to follow to prove your heterosexuality were downright ridiculous.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/07/18 at 2:19 pm

I would argue that the 2000's were actually a much much kinder decade to liberals and independents and people back then were much more accepting of homosexuals and people that were different than the 2010's have been or the 90's were, but I was only a kid then and I'm just speaking from my experience...

I mean after all...one of the best and most popular albums by an artist back in the aughts was called "American Idiot."  I couldn't someone releasing an album that good and anti-establishment in the Late-2010's.

Well, um. Are you gay, bi, or trans?

If not, well...you don't have experience at all.

Written By: Howard on 08/07/18 at 2:24 pm

The 9/11 incident
The London bombings
The deaths of Michael Jackson, Farrah Fawcett, Mr.Rogers and Patrick Swayze

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/07/18 at 2:35 pm

Ugh...no and I'm talking being gay or bi or whatever...homosexuality has nothing to do with being liberal or being a democrat for that matter.  I'm saying it was a better decade to be a striaght and white liberal or Democrat.

Enough of the identity politics, you don't know anything about real liberalism or politics in general.  You're just a dumb misinformed millennial snowflake who listens to too much rap and pop music and  thinks he or she is special because of your sexuality.  No one cares.  You probably don't even know what my avatar represents or who the New York Yankees are because you millennials don't know jack about baseball and you're too retarded or have too low of a IQ too understand it.

As a 1994 born millennial, I have never been more embarrassed of being part of such a lackluster artless generation and I'll be glad when this generation will be long dead.

That civility bull ended pretty fast, huh?

Written By: piecesof93 on 08/07/18 at 2:39 pm

Ugh somebody ban this liberal weirdo

JHS8456

Date Registered: August 03, 2018, 04:18:35 PM
Local Time:August 07, 2018, 02:36:38 PM
Last Active: Today at 02:34:03 PM

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/07/18 at 2:45 pm

Whoa. He went full troll in no time.

I wonder if he's duplicate troll account for someone here.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/07/18 at 2:54 pm

Go kill yourself.  Don't make me take a knife and come kill your ass.

So, um, mods. What do we do about actual physical threats?

Written By: piecesof93 on 08/07/18 at 3:03 pm

He'll be gone by the end of the day when Cat logs on.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/07/18 at 3:12 pm

You people are mean and I didn't do anything wrong.  Liberals are just mean unloving, unkind, unfair and self-entitled un-Christian bullies that love to trigger the right so much.

I can't wait until you people go to Hell (yes there is a Hell).  And I hope my righteousness offends the very sight of you people.

Look man, I'm okay with conservative people (like you) who have good conservative values even though I may disagree with many of your views, but not when you're too extreme radical, hateful and forceful like you are. You do NOT represent how real loving Christians are supposed to be. With the way you're talking you are the ONE reason why there are many atheists around who gave up on their religion (or being a Christian) long time ago. At this point you're just being a straight up troll on here.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/07/18 at 3:13 pm

You people are mean and I didn't do anything wrong.  Liberals are just mean unloving, unkind, unfair and self-entitled un-Christian bullies that love to trigger the right so much.

I can't wait until you people go to Hell (yes there is a Hell).  And I hope my righteousness offends the very sight of you people.

You didn't have to be a troll. If you don't like what I have to say, dust the dirt off your shoulders, let it blow over, and think. You could have thought up something more intriguing and thoughtful. You could have made us all think. But you're too stunted for that. Come back again when you grow up more.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/07/18 at 3:16 pm

All I can say is, Its really f'd up how we lost a potential new user.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/07/18 at 3:18 pm

You sure they're new?

There's something familiar about how they write.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 08/07/18 at 3:31 pm

I enjoyed the 2000s, not just because I grew up in the decade but because there were a lot of good aspects of the decade that people overlook just because of 9/11, the recession and Bush. The 2000s had probably the illest instrumentals in hip-hop and RnB thanks to the Neptunes, Timberland, Dark Child, Just Blaze and Kayne West, best decade for Disney Channel, the golden age for hip-hop fashion (I know people say 2000s fashion was ugly) but I always enjoyed the street fashion of that decade because it showed how hip-hop is more than just music, and it was the rise of the internet. The 90s may have started the internet, but it was the 2000s that made it what it is today.

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/07/18 at 3:47 pm

I'm sorry but if we gonna judge decades by how many big tragedies happen in them then none of the decades are good.

I have a feeling this thread was purposefuly created to be clickbait/attention-grabbing.

I love Shuggie's posts.  8)

Written By: 2001 on 08/07/18 at 4:00 pm

It doesn't seem anything of value was lost. Reminds me of the user from two years ago who said he wishes Jesus would kill all the liberals, or something along those lines.

Written By: piecesof93 on 08/07/18 at 4:01 pm

I enjoyed the 2000s, not just because I grew up in the decade but because there were a lot of good aspects of the decade that people overlook just because of 9/11, the recession and Bush. The 2000s had probably the illest instrumentals in hip-hop and RnB thanks to the Neptunes, Timberland, Dark Child, Just Blaze and Kayne West, best decade for Disney Channel, the golden age for hip-hop fashion (I know people say 2000s fashion was ugly) but I always enjoyed the street fashion of that decade because it showed how hip-hop is more than just music, and it was the rise of the internet. The 90s may have started the internet, but it was the 2000s that made it what it is today.

I agree. Also mainstream Hip-Hop was more regional then. Hip-Hop was like a testimony of where you grew up. Just one of the many of things to come out of the 2000s.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/07/18 at 5:37 pm

Look, I just went outside to cool off and forget about the Internet for a while and I must say I'm sorry for the way I acted on here.  I don't feel good at all about the things I said on here and it sucks it always has to come to these type of situations in my life.  I'm not trying to use this as an excuse for my behavior on here or from the past, but I have Asperger's and have been struggling with mental disabilites all my life and have had some serious mental health problems (especially in the last 3-4 years), and usually stuff like politics or really toxic stuff on the Internet is what triggers me the most.  I have been trying really hard to find a better balance between my real life and my life on the Internet and things have been getting a lot better for me because I have a job now and have been making friends of my own, but I still feel bitter for the cards I have been dealt with since I have became a teenager and it's going to take awhile for me to fully recover and let go of this bitterness and uglyness inside of me and to move on and mature in life.

But that still doesn't excuse my behavior on here and I shouldn't take out my issues on other people I don't know and if I get banned here, I absolutely deserve it because there is no excuse at all for the way I am acting.

Its going to be honestly difficult for me to take you seriously until proven wrong. I understand people with that type of mental disability have it rough but the sh!t you said came completely out of no where.

No hard feelings tho.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/07/18 at 6:31 pm

I was just thinking about this and how I miss the sound of hip-hop especially in the late 2000s (2009 was probably my favorite year for hip-hop the entire decade).  Today's trap and mumble rap just isn't the same.

Written By: John Titor on 08/07/18 at 9:23 pm

I was just thinking about this and how I miss the sound of hip-hop especially in the late 2000s (2009 was probably my favorite year for hip-hop the entire decade).  Today's trap and mumble rap just isn't the same.

2009 was terrible for hip hop lmao

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/07/18 at 9:40 pm

2009 was terrible for hip hop lmao

Explain why.

Written By: John Titor on 08/07/18 at 11:06 pm

Explain why.

it was being pushed out in favor of dance pop, hardly that many hits were hip hop on the radio at the time
Dance pop was clearly the golden child that year , 2013 when Kendrick came out with his album brought Rap back

Written By: bchris02 on 08/08/18 at 12:57 am

it was being pushed out in favor of dance pop, hardly that many hits were hip hop on the radio at the time
Dance pop was clearly the golden child that year , 2013 when Kendrick came out with his album brought Rap back

Hip-hop was pretty popular where I lived in 2009.  Here are a few songs popular that year everyone should remember.

zJOeXh6HyvU

47Fbo4kU2AU

Written By: Howard on 08/08/18 at 7:03 am

He'll be gone by the end of the day when Cat logs on.

I sent her a PM.

Written By: John Titor on 08/08/18 at 12:34 pm

Hip-hop was pretty popular where I lived in 2009.  Here are a few songs popular that year everyone should remember.

Few and Far between hits in 2009 for rap, it was dying then,  it was all about Black Eyed peas, Gaga, Kesha then

Written By: exodus08 on 08/08/18 at 12:50 pm

Hip Hop is popular everywhere. Expect maybe Montana, North Dakota.ect

Written By: mwalker1996 on 08/08/18 at 1:34 pm

2009 was the wanning year of the snap era. Here's some snap type of songs.

9yRme0C2pmI
7iTsbnr8e_8
0ixK0Epr7gw
mgvP-hKC66Y

Written By: bchris02 on 08/08/18 at 1:54 pm

Few and Far between hits in 2009 for rap, it was dying then,  it was all about Black Eyed peas, Gaga, Kesha then

Maybe where you live but it wasn't in the US South.  Of course electropop was popular as well, but hip-hop was still everywhere.

Written By: John Titor on 08/08/18 at 3:03 pm

Maybe where you live but it wasn't in the US South.  Of course electropop was popular as well, but hip-hop was still everywhere.

New York, California and FL,  Electropop took over fast, no one was even checking up on Rap other Than lupe and kanye
Rap was phased out pretty quickly

Written By: wixness on 08/08/18 at 5:31 pm

A lot of people are nostalgic for various aspects of the 2000s and while it did have a lot of good pop culture, when you think about it, was it really a good decade?  I think I see why they call it the decade from hell.

- The most optimistic part of the 2000s was the Y2K era.  That all ended on 9/11/2001.  Bush v Gore at the end of 2000 was a foreshadowing of what was to come.
- 9/11/2001 was the date that set the tone for the rest of the decade
- Quickly George W. Bush starts the war in Afghanistan and soon afterwards begins to build a case to invade Iraq
- Also in 2001, the economy goes into recession because of the dot-com bust
- 2003; Iraq is invaded
- 2004 - Massachusetts legalizes same-sex marriage, invoking a nationwide homophobic backlash.  Culture was quite homophobic through this era.
- 2005 - Hurricane Katrina hits.  It was by far the worst natural disaster and the worst response by the US government in modern history.
- 2006 - the housing bubble bursts, setting the stage for the Great Recession
- 2007-2008 - Oil prices skyrocket.  Gasoline prices skyrocket in a very short amount of time, peaking at $4 nationally during the summer of 2008
- 2008 - Great Recession begins.  The ensuing financial panic would be the worst since the Great Depression
- 2009 - Obama becomes President, but disappoints initially as it becomes clear there is no quick fix for the economy
- December 31, 2009 - The decade ends with a sliver of optimism as it appears the worst of the recession might be over

The '10s have had their own challenges, most notably the culture war and the school shootings, but thus far you can say there really hasn't been much of the kind of magnitude we saw in the 2000s.  We've been at war but nothing on the scale of or with the kind of casualties we saw in Iraq.  The economy has been slowly improving throughout the entire decade.  The year 2000 itself was the only time during the 2000s where the economy was as strong as the late 2010s.  I think while the 2000s had pop culture it was just not a good decade to come of age in.  Thoughts?

This is the key point. Yes, politics has always been awful, but the decade was surprisingly backwards by 2010s standards; heck, even the tech seemed primitive then. Not to mention that pop punk seemed to dominate music, emo seemed to dominate fashion (which was disliked I guess for it looking and being dark or attention seeking) and that events like 9/11, Iraq and the recession basically set a bad mood for the 2000s. The 2010s had same sex marriage legalized in a number of countries, but I think that's sort of it.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/08/18 at 6:42 pm

Eh. I was thinking more in terms of quality of hip-hop, but if your argument is correct, that's probably why I like 2009. Not too much bad rap to deal with.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/09/18 at 1:43 pm

Please only 2-repeat ONLY TWO videos per post!

Cat

Written By: Wobo on 08/09/18 at 8:38 pm

I only like the 2000s for the music and early-mid 2000s Cartoon Network, i find the 2000s more interesting than the 90s,

Written By: Wobo on 08/09/18 at 9:37 pm

"Go kill yourself.  Don't make me take a knife and come kill your ass"
LOL  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Frodomar2002 on 08/10/18 at 12:03 pm

If anything the 2010s are a bad decade. No worse than bad. They're horrible

Written By: Dundee on 08/10/18 at 1:39 pm

Dang, didn't know we're living in apocalyptic times where the entirety of the human race is ravaged by deadly diseases, lack of food and giant destructive disasters with no chance of escaping
Would agree then we're living in truly horrible times!

Written By: Wobo on 08/10/18 at 3:28 pm

If anything the 2010s are a bad decade. No worse than bad. They're horrible

i think the 2010s are a great decade, not political wise though.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/10/18 at 10:32 pm

I agree regarding politics. 9/11, the two disastrous wars, hurricane Katrina and the Great Recession, made the 00s awful. As for everything else, it was fantastic.

If you were a high school or college-aged male, some of the unspoken social rules you had to follow to prove your heterosexuality were downright ridiculous.
It sure was! I could give less a f*ck if I were a typical macho guy. I shouldn't have to be that way to prove my sexuality. Didn't those people realize that there are masculine gay men too?

Check for new replies or respond here...