inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Remember when Firefox was the 2nd most used browser?

Written By: xris on 08/15/18 at 5:09 pm

Along with Yahoo! another thing screaming 00s is Firefox. I used it as my main/default browser since 2005. However, the latest versions seem too slow. Funnily I find the bouncing ball when loading a page uber annoying. I just got used to the 2014 overhaul and they changed the interface again. Chrome's more constant (ppl are change-averse so smaller changes are better). So I ditched FF but might go back as I miss it.

Firefox was Netscape's succesor and in the mid 00s became the 2nd most used browser after IE and on course to overtake it and then Chrome happened.

Any ex/current FF users here? What are your memories? Do you miss its glory days?

Subject: Re: Remember when Firefox was the 2nd most used browser?

Written By: 2001 on 08/15/18 at 5:36 pm

I'm using it right now, lol. It's frustrating me at the moment actually, since I'm trying to implement a user-custom stylesheet, but they made this convoluted (but from what I'm reading online, Chrome is even worse in this regard) ;D Something Internet Explorer is best at, quelle surprise :o

But I mainly use it because it's more flexible. :)

I used Firefox from 2005 when it got started, to roughly 2008/2009 when Chrome got popular. I used Chrome up until 2016, hence then I've been switching between Chrome/Firefox.

Written By: xris on 08/16/18 at 9:41 am

Actually, I'm now back to Firefox and it loads the pages much faster than Chrome, but I am unsure whether this is because it's a fresh install.

Mozilla claims that Quantum is faster than Google Chrome on a number of popular websites, including Google search, Google’s login page, Wikipedia, Bing, Tumblr and Shutterstock.

Chrome, meanwhile, is said to outstrip Quantum on sites including Google Docs, Instagram, BBC and Lifehacker.

As well as focusing on speed, Mozilla has equipped Firefox Quantum with a new user interface called Photon.

It certainly loads Inthe00s much faster on my laptop. ::) Maybe I'll stick with it. Did Chrome really debut in 2008? Anyone know when did Chrome overtake Firefox? I think somewhere in 2011, no?

It's important to put that information into context: First, when Chrome debuted in 2008, it quickly become the de-facto web browser of choice. Before then, it seemed like everyone was using Firefox as an alternative to Microsoft's Internet Explorer or Apple's Safari. Chrome made Firefox irrelevant -- a stigma that's only now starting to reverse course. According to the Digital Analytics Program, in January 2017, Chrome dominated US web browser use (with 44.5 percent market share), followed by Safari (with 25.4 percent) and Internet Explorer (with 15.5 percent market share). Firefox tumbled to fourth place (with 7.4 percent).

Yet, a month after the launch of Quantum Firefox, Mozilla confirmed a total of 170 million people have installed the new browser, which lets you open over 1,500 tabs in mere seconds.

Written By: 2001 on 08/16/18 at 10:09 am

Well, like the article says, Chrome took off instantly after it was released in late 2008. It came packed with Google's own Chrome V8, a very efficient JavaScript interpreter (now adopted by most modern browsers) that made sites load blazing fast.

It was minimalist in style and not bloated with a lot of unnecessary bookmarks bars and search bars and buttons like Firefox too.

Written By: wixness on 08/16/18 at 1:48 pm

I use Firefox. Much of my personal data is synced with my Firefox account. I do hope there are other significant projects like Firefox that are open source and made by a non-profit organization, instead of mere forks. Since using Linux for a while, I'm aware of Qutebrowser, but it's generally a more lightweight browser which more advanced users will favour.

Written By: Howard on 08/16/18 at 3:32 pm

I've been using Firefox for a few years now and I believe the new loading time with the bouncing ball back and forth can get a bit annoying at times but Firefox needed an update so this is what we got.

Written By: wixness on 08/16/18 at 3:37 pm

I've been using Firefox for a few years now and I believe the new loading time with the bouncing ball back and forth can get a bit annoying at times but Firefox needed an update so this is what we got.
I feel like it's become a little bloated just for the sake of supporting new features. I still find myself needing to close tabs just to play games without a hassle. Chrome now manages RAM slightly better but I prefer Firefox since I have my data on here.

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/16/18 at 4:14 pm

Umm, I thought Firefox was still the second most used browser.  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: xris on 08/16/18 at 4:15 pm

I think you can disable the dot from the settings:
https://support.mozilla.org/questions/1197903

To turn off Firefox built-in animations:

Type about:config in the Firefox address bar and hit the Enter-key afterwards.
Confirm that you will be careful if the warning intermediary page is displayed.
Use the search to find toolkit.cosmeticAnimations.enabled.
Double-click on the preference name to toggle its state.

Hope it works!

Written By: Howard on 08/16/18 at 4:29 pm

I feel like it's become a little bloated just for the sake of supporting new features. I still find myself needing to close tabs just to play games without a hassle. Chrome now manages RAM slightly better but I prefer Firefox since I have my data on here.

Do you like the new updates?

Written By: 2001 on 08/16/18 at 4:32 pm

I haven't updated, since it doesn't retain backwards compatibility with some of the plugins I use.

Written By: wixness on 08/16/18 at 4:48 pm

Initially hated it because I couldn't use a certain extension, but another extension was made to be compatible with the .json files the previous extension generated. My impression of Firefox is neutral and preferable to Google supporting profit over culture, but its performance on mobile is less desirable than that of Chrome's.

Written By: Howard on 08/17/18 at 7:21 am

Initially hated it because I couldn't use a certain extension, but another extension was made to be compatible with the .json files the previous extension generated. My impression of Firefox is neutral and preferable to Google supporting profit over culture, but its performance on mobile is less desirable than that of Chrome's.

How do you like bouncing ball dot when a page is loading?

Written By: wixness on 08/17/18 at 8:54 am

How do you like bouncing ball dot when a page is loading?
I don't know.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/17/18 at 9:48 am

The title of this topic was OP enough for me. Hahahaha I definitely do. One of my high school teachers in 2008 had it and suggested it to me.

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/17/18 at 4:42 pm

I use Chrome. Firefox never worked right.

Written By: Howard on 08/17/18 at 5:13 pm

I don't know.

To me, it's OK, Firefox could've used something else other than a bouncing ball.

Written By: 2001 on 08/17/18 at 6:02 pm

To me, it's OK, Firefox could've used something else other than a bouncing ball.

I have no clue what bouncing ball you're talking about. Was it introduced in the latest version of Firefox?

BTW, I'm disappointed that the OP deleted his account.  :-\\

Written By: wixness on 08/17/18 at 8:04 pm

I have no clue what bouncing ball you're talking about. Was it introduced in the latest version of Firefox?

It's the dot that bounces left and right at your current tab. It came with Firefox Quantum.
And I am saddened by their departure as well.

Written By: nally on 08/18/18 at 12:22 am

I first used Firefox on a public computer in 2006. After that I never wanted to go back to Internet Exploder (although that was the only browser on our home computer(s) until 2009). Firefox worked just fine for me for a lotta years.

Written By: Howard on 08/18/18 at 3:58 pm

When loading a page, a ball goes back and forth indicating that the page is loading.

Written By: Howard on 08/18/18 at 4:00 pm

It's the dot that bounces left and right at your current tab. It came with Firefox Quantum.
And I am saddened by their departure as well.

I don't mind the dot, is it distracting? ???

Written By: wsmith4 on 08/20/18 at 2:53 pm

I still miss AST Dot.

Written By: wixness on 08/20/18 at 3:08 pm

I don't mind the dot, is it distracting? ???
It's actually incredibly helpful unless I'm using full screen (not maximize) when the tabs auto-hide, which I use often due to my particular system setup.

Written By: wsmith4 on 08/22/18 at 1:42 pm

It's actually incredibly helpful unless I'm using full screen (not maximize) when the tabs auto-hide, which I use often due to my particular system setup.

Can I be emo about this?

Written By: wixness on 08/22/18 at 2:01 pm

Can I be emo about this?

I don't know.

Written By: wsmith4 on 08/22/18 at 2:08 pm

I don't know.

Please??

Written By: wixness on 08/23/18 at 2:18 pm

Please??
Go ahead.

Written By: wsmith4 on 08/23/18 at 3:24 pm

Go ahead.

Thank you sir.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/25/18 at 5:49 pm

I remember.....never used it.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 08/26/18 at 4:14 pm

I remember.....never used it.  ;D

What were you using?

Check for new replies or respond here...