inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Would you say the 6th gen of gaming is retro yet? (PS2/GameCube/Xbox/GBA)

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/17/18 at 2:45 pm

Title says it all. Some people say no because it began a lot of things we see in modern gaming, for example Halo, and increased focus on online multiplayer (Xbox Live). Others say yes because it was the last generation before HD, heavy DLC, microtransactions, etc. and the last one where there were a lot of cartoony platformers (though they're coming back). Some 6th gen games like Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, Pikmin, Pac Man World 2, Jet Set Radio Future do have a "late retro" kinda vibe, but others like Halo and Half Life 2 have more of an "early modern" vibe.

The Dreamcast is usually considered retro, but the question is of the other four consoles here.

Subject: Re: Would you say the 6th gen of gaming is retro yet? (PS2/GameCube/Xbox/GBA)

Written By: John Titor on 08/17/18 at 3:16 pm

Title says it all. Some people say no because it began a lot of things we see in modern gaming, for example Halo, and increased focus on online multiplayer (Xbox Live). Others say yes because it was the last generation before HD, heavy DLC, microtransactions, etc. and the last one where there were a lot of cartoony platformers (though they're coming back). Some 6th gen games like Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, Pikmin, Pac Man World 2, Jet Set Radio Future do have a "late retro" kinda vibe, but others like Halo and Half Life 2 have more of an "early modern" vibe.

The Dreamcast is usually considered retro, but the question is of the other four consoles here.

it is RETRO

Subject: Re: Would you say the 6th gen of gaming is retro yet? (PS2/GameCube/Xbox/GBA)

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/17/18 at 3:23 pm

it is RETRO

But what about Halo which people say changed the industry into more of a dudebro one? Is it retro?

Written By: John Titor on 08/17/18 at 3:27 pm

But what about Halo which people say changed the industry into more of a dudebro one? Is it retro?

The first 2 halos are

Written By: Star Struck on 08/17/18 at 3:46 pm

Not yet, but they are getting there. When we get to 2020, then that's when the gen 6 gaming consoles will officially become retro. Well, I guess they could be considered retro now since hardly any of the big retailers sell them (Walmart, Target, Best Buy, etc.). Plus, PS2/Gamecube/Xbox are 2 generations behind the current gen of gaming. I mean, Gamecube and Xbox stopped making games for them in the late 2000s, which was 10 years ago, but PS2, they recently stopped making games for them 5 years ago. Hmm, I wonder why the PS2 had a longer life span?

Written By: John Titor on 08/17/18 at 3:54 pm

Not yet, but they are getting there. When we get to 2020, then that's when the gen 6 gaming consoles will officially become retro. Well, I guess they could be considered retro now since hardly any of the big retailers sell them (Walmart, Target, Best Buy, etc.). Plus, PS2/Gamecube/Xbox are 2 generations behind the current gen of gaming. I mean, Gamecube and Xbox stopped making games for them in the late 2000s, which was 10 years ago, but PS2, they recently stopped making games for them 5 years ago. Hmm, I wonder why the PS2 had a longer life span?

6th gen kicked off (fully)
2 months after 9/11 so I would say yes its retro

Written By: SmartBo1 on 08/17/18 at 5:09 pm

I personally wouldn't consider them to be retro, but as Star Struck already mentioned, they are getting there. They'll likely be considered retro by the early 20's.

Written By: Howard on 08/17/18 at 5:11 pm

Well, the PS2 was in 2005/6 so I guess you consider it retro.

Written By: 2001 on 08/17/18 at 5:48 pm

I would say it is. I remember in 2007 that 4th generation gaming was considerd retro. It had ended just 11 years prior. The same is now true for 6th gen gaming. And boy does it feel retro: talk to anybody about a 6th generation game, and it will feel as if you were speaking of a different era, because it was.

Written By: John Titor on 08/17/18 at 6:11 pm

I would say it is. I remember in 2007 that 4th generation gaming was considerd retro. It had ended just 11 years prior. The same is now true for 6th gen gaming. And boy does it feel retro: talk to anybody about a 6th generation game, and it will feel as if you were speaking of a different era, because it was.

The Gamecube and Xbox launched 2 months after 9/11 100% is retro

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/17/18 at 6:38 pm

It's been 17 years since the genre hit its peak in 2001 and 12 years since its peak ended in 2006. People considered the 5th gen retro by late 7th gen (which is odd now that I look back on it) and people considered the 4th gen retro by 6th gen (which again is odd since for example in 2004 the year of 1994 didn't seem so "retro" at the time to the mainstream crowd).

Nowadays everyone talks about the 6th gen with nothing but praise. Gaming was in a different state then it is now.

I certainly wouldn't call something that looked like THIS as "modern".
https://content.halocdn.com/media/Default/games/halo-combat-evolved/media/hce_001-62d6aca5cf174b1f9921ecf8f1adac06.jpg

Also "dudebro" as nothing to do with "retro". Hell Halo isn't anymore dude bro than Doom was in the 1990s since both involved some dude in armor shooting at aliens/demon monsters. And people are loving the Doom remake despite it literally being just a reimagined Doom people say reminds them of playing the old Doom despite the controls being more modernized (with gameplay that takes some queues from Halo of course).

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/17/18 at 6:40 pm

Actually a few years back this wasn't the case. Most people still saw Dreamcast as a "modern-ish" console due to it being the reason the 6th gen started and having the (at the time) new online features that you'd see in consoles from that point onward.

Written By: John Titor on 08/17/18 at 6:57 pm

Actually a few years back this wasn't the case. Most people still saw Dreamcast as a "modern-ish" console due to it being the reason the 6th gen started and having the (at the time) new online features that you'd see in consoles from that point onward.

people saw Dreamcast as retro since 2006 lmao

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/17/18 at 7:19 pm

I don't think so. As John said, I remember people thinking the Dreamcast was retro for like the past 10 years. It had always been more associated with the 5th gen among gamers than 6th despite it technically being 6th. It was the last console to be released in the 20th century and the last one to have big emphasis on "arcadey" games, hence why it blended better into the retro scene than the rest of the 6th gen.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/17/18 at 7:21 pm

I guess it is retro since we are 2 generations (and going to be 3 soon) removed from them.

However, it is weird to consider the PS2 "retro" since I grew up playing it :P.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 08/17/18 at 11:00 pm

I guess it is retro since we are 2 generations (and going to be 3 soon) removed from them.

And the fact the ps2 was played well throughout the 7th genoration, so the ps2 feels more recent than the GameCube and Xbox despite being older than those 2 consoles.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/17/18 at 11:58 pm

And the fact the ps2 was played well throughout the 7th genoration, so the ps2 feels more recent than the GameCube and Xbox despite being older than those 2 consoles.

Yep, true.

Written By: SmartBo1 on 08/18/18 at 12:53 am

people saw Dreamcast as retro since 2006 lmao

How could a console that was only 7 years old at the time be considered retro? ;D

Written By: Star Struck on 08/18/18 at 1:50 am

If you compare the graphics from the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube era to this era, the graphics have improved a lot. Seriously, look at the first two Halo games. I wouldn't necessarily call them "modern".

Written By: ofkx on 08/18/18 at 6:39 am

Nah, I don't think they're retro yet. The last people who played with them a lot are still in high school, so I feel like they're too recent.

Written By: John Titor on 08/18/18 at 9:39 am

How could a console that was only 7 years old at the time be considered retro? ;D

There were already emulators of Dreamcast and everything by 2004 lmao
it aged really bad

btw I bought Dreamcast in 1999 and by the time Gta 3 came out everyone forgot about Sega Dreamcast,
I was more hype on my new ps2 DVD player than what new dreamcast games were left

Written By: Wobo on 08/18/18 at 9:49 am

it aged really bad

btw I bought Dreamcast in 1999 and by the time Gta 3 came out everyone forgot about Sega Dreamcast,
I was more hype on my new ps2 DVD player than what new dreamcast games were left

PS2 killed the dreamcast and sega basically, i'm glad the gamecube survived though.

Written By: SmartBo1 on 08/18/18 at 3:10 pm

it aged really bad

We also had Wii U emulators by 2015. So I guess by that definition the Wii U is also retro lmao.
Also, just because the console had a smaller user base that doesn't mean its retro. The Dreamcast actually had officially licensed games up until 2007.

Written By: John Titor on 08/18/18 at 3:16 pm

We also had Wii U emulators by 2015. So I guess by that definition the Wii U is also retro lmao.
Also, just because the console had a smaller user base that doesn't mean its retro. The Dreamcast actually had officially licensed games up until 2007.

Its not that its the fact that Dreamcast is more looked on with the 5th gen, by late 2001 Dreamcast was a no n factor and no
one was talking about it, only PS2 GC and XBOX, there are also archived posts in here referring to the dreamcast as old school in 2006

Also added to the fact Dreamcast is more of a pre 9/11 tech fad

Written By: Howard on 08/18/18 at 3:52 pm

and what about The PS3? I don't think that's far from retro.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/18/18 at 4:37 pm

and what about The PS3? I don't think that's far from retro.

No, the PS3 isn't retro.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/18/18 at 5:58 pm

Nell no. The 6th gen will never be retro and is the perfect 3D. Retro is whatever number bits. Can you imagine games getting necessarily "more" 3D? That's not possible. 3D reached its height when characters started more resembling us, the current gen.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 08/18/18 at 6:13 pm

Nell no. The 6th gen will never be retro and is the perfect 3D. Retro is whatever number bits. Can you imagine games getting necessarily "more" 3D? That's not possible. 3D reached its height when characters started more resembling us, the current gen.
To most Millennials 6th Gen is seen as modern since most of that generation were teenagers at the time whereas Gen Z were either kids or wasn't born yet, so it depends on age. To me the 6th gen is pretty retro even tho I was at the perfect age to enjoy it since it almost perfectly correlates with my elementary school years.  I think it's going to take longer for the 7th gen to be considered retro since it was such a long generation.

Written By: John Titor on 08/18/18 at 7:40 pm

To most Millennials 6th Gen is seen as modern since most of that generation were teenagers at the time whereas Gen Z were either kids or wasn't born yet, so it depends on age. To me the 6th gen is pretty retro even tho I was at the perfect age to enjoy it since it almost perfectly correlates with my elementary school years.  I think it's going to take longer for the 7th gen to be considered retro since it was such a long generation.

I was an early teenager when ps2 first come out and I see it as retro

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/18/18 at 8:08 pm

I would say yeah. I understand this was the era where 3D was perfect, and all the consoles had CDs, but there are many things some people are forgetting. For one, this generation was the last where online gaming was not a thing. Two, the games themselves were the primary focus while music and movies were secondary. Three, the games were finished instead of being half-a*s to where one would have to buy DLC in the next generation to have 100%. Last, this is also arguably the last where a group of friends plays together in the same room since offline multiplayer has become less of a thing over the years. 

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/18/18 at 8:13 pm

I would say yeah. I understand this was the era where 3D was perfect, and all the consoles had CDs, but there are many things some people are forgetting. For one, this generation was the last where online gaming was not a thing. Two, the games themselves were the primary focus while music and movies were secondary. Three, the games were finished instead of being half-a*s to where one would have to buy DLC in the next generation to have 100%. Last, this is also arguably the last where a group of friends plays together in the same room since offline multiplayer has become less of a thing over the years.

I mean it wasn't as popular as it would be from 7th onward, but to say online gaming wasn't a thing in the 6th gen is a lie. This gen had the Sega Channel and Xbox Live.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/18/18 at 8:17 pm

I mean it wasn't as popular as it would be from 7th onward, but to say online gaming wasn't a thing in the 6th gen is a lie. This gen had the Sega Channel and Xbox Live.
It did, but the only way to access them at that time was that one had to either have dial-up for Dreamcast and broadband for Xbox live. Besides, most games for both consoles (and the PS2 later on) didn't even have online capabilities anyway.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 08/18/18 at 8:18 pm

And the last generation were people used Memory Cards.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/18/18 at 8:34 pm

And the last generation were people used Memory Cards.
That too! I don't know how I forgot them since they were needed to conquer most games.

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/18/18 at 11:24 pm

Interesting points. How do you feel though about people saying the 6th gen shouldn't be retro because Halo changed the game industry and made it more "casualized" and "dudebro" supposedly?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/19/18 at 12:16 am

Interesting points. How do you feel though about people saying the 6th gen shouldn't be retro because Halo changed the game industry and made it more "casualized" and "dudebro" supposedly?
While Halo was a huge success and changed the format of the FPS genre, I disagree with those people who say that it changed the game industry. For one, even with Halo, there was still a massive variety of games from racing, puzzle, platformers, fighters, etc. For them to say that Halo changed the game industry and made it more "casualized" and "dudebro" is ignorant. In the gaming world, there has always been casual gamers and hardcore ones. It's just that it depends on the game series and the genre itself. Besides, dudebros are not the only ones who play games. Those you mentioned seeming to forget that nerds/geeks, ladies and those who love video games play them as well. If you think about it, if it weren't for the casual gamers, there most likely would be no Halo (which is a classic) today.

Written By: Howard on 08/19/18 at 7:14 am

No, the PS3 isn't retro.

didn't it debut 10 years ago?

Written By: Howard on 08/19/18 at 7:15 am

That too! I don't know how I forgot them since they were needed to conquer most games.

and I still have a couple of them in my draw.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/19/18 at 8:00 am

The PS3 debuted almost 12 years ago (November 17, 2006 in North America).

However, because of it's technological features and it's only a generation ago, it's not retro. Not yet at least.

Written By: Wobo on 08/19/18 at 9:02 am

Yeah but it isn't retro, same with the Wii.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 08/19/18 at 10:53 am

Modern
8th Gen (Switch, Xbox One, PS4, Wii U, Vita, 3DS)

Outmodded
7th Gen (Wii, PS3, Xbox 360, PSP, DS)

Classic
6th Gen (GameCube, Xbox, GBA, PS2, Dreamcast)

Retro
5th Gen (GBC, N64, PS1, Saturn)
4th Gen (Game Gear, SNES, Game Boy, Genesis)

Vintage
3rd Gen (Atari 7800, Master System, NES)
2nd Gen (ColecoVision, Intellivision, Odyssey 2, Atari 2600)
1st Gen (Pong Clones, Odyssey)

Written By: ofkx on 08/19/18 at 11:39 am

Modern

Outmodded

Classic

Retro

Vintage

I feel like consoles released in the 80s aren't really vintage yet, just retro. This is how I would personally classify them:
Modern

Outmodded

Classic

Retro

Vintage

Written By: Howard on 08/19/18 at 2:11 pm

The PS3 debuted almost 12 years ago (November 17, 2006 in North America).

However, because of it's technological features and it's only a generation ago, it's not retro. Not yet at least.

and I still own a PS3, I don't think I'll ever get rid of it.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/19/18 at 7:57 pm

Nah, I don't think they're retro yet. The last people who played with them a lot are still in high school, so I feel like they're too recent.

Bruh... kids born in the 2000s barely can get a pass growing up with PS2. Let alone Xbox & Gamecube, as they were already phased out in popularity by the late 2000s. You guys are modern era kids in the realm of gaming, and theres nothing wrong with that. People my age are sort of the crossroads between the retro/old school & modern crowd, and the fact that our core childhood years occurred during the 5th/6th generations, the crossroads between retro & modern gaming, is a testament to that.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 08/19/18 at 8:22 pm

Bruh... kids born in the 2000s barely can get a pass growing up with PS2. Let alone Xbox & Gamecube, as they were already phased out in popularity by the late 2000s. You guys are modern era kids in the realm of gaming, and theres nothing wrong with that. People my age are sort of the crossroads between the retro/old school & modern crowd, and the fact that our core childhood years occurred during the 5th/6th generations, the crossroads between retro & modern gaming, is a testament to that.

I agree.
To be fair though, if you're using elementary school (k-5) for "core childhood", then you as a 1996 born would've had your core childhood nearly exclusively in the 6th Gen, only with a minuscule 5th Gen underlap since the 6th Gen came into full swing in November 2001 when you would've been about three months into kindergarten, as well as with a bit of a 7th Gen overlap as well, since you would've been in grade 5 when the 7th Gen came into full swing in November 2006.
Sure, the 5th Gen consoles were still relevant and its games were still sold at game stores all throughout the 6th gen up until 2006, but they were well past their heyday by then.

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/19/18 at 8:29 pm

I've met a lot of people born in 2000-2003 who had the PS2 as their first console. It was produced till 2013.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/19/18 at 8:54 pm

Anyways, generally I agree with the general consensus; its retro in the sense that the consoles are already very dated. The Sega Dreamcast will be 19 this year & the PS2 had just turned 18. This was the last generation in which CD/DVD technology was utilized for game formats. Not to mention it was the last generation for proprietary formats found in the Dreamcast (GD-ROMs) & GameCube (Mini-DVDs). Even though online gaming became big & more accessible for most people in this generation, it was really only the Xbox that was truly utilizing it due to its Xbox Live service. This was mainly due because Xbox was the first to have modern internet capabilities with a broadband modem built in, that along with the first to have a HDD. The PS2 required a clunky Broadband adapter add on, along with the Dreamcast, which was via dial up connection (made sense for the time though), and Nintendo didn't even attempt to get with the times with the GameCube. Other technological trends that made it retro was the fact that it was the last generation of mainly wired controllers, memory cards/slots, more 'boxy' physical aesthetics, lack of DRM, lack of microtransactions in games, last generation to measure graphic capabilities with bits (the Dreamcast & to a lesser extent the PS2 & GameCube used bits, while Xbox was the only one to adopt polygons in its terminology fully), no elaborate HUDs for system menus, among other technological trends.

Thats just technology, gaming as a whole was a lot different back then. As some have already eluded, but there was a lot more diversity in genres. Platformers with cartoony characters were still big. Games like the Jak series, Ratchet & Clank series, Sly series, PacMan World 2, Pikmin, Jet Set Radio, The 'Adventure Era' Sonic games, etc. were big back then. Super Smash Bros Melee, while a fighting/party game, was the split screen multiplayer game of choice in the early-mid 00s. That game IMHO is pretty retro in its fighting mechanics & graphics, but ironically it had held up over time (Melee tournaments are still pretty big 17 years later). FPS also weren't the cookie cutter COD clones like they are now. In fact, most FPS titles were based off of WWI/WWII such as the first three CODs & Medal of Honor. Thats not to mention many other iconic FPS titles that pushed the boundaries & were relatively innovative/fun such as TimeSplitters, the Quake series, the first two Halo games (which I'll admit, are the most 'modern' FPS games of this era, but i'd still argue based solely on graphics alone that they're pretty different from recent games), 007, and of course the legendary Half Life 2.

VkmUZpIpxtc

I could go on and on, but overall this era in gaming also did have many modern aesthetics that propelled gaming forward, which makes this generation not as clear cut into either category. You guys should check out this video I linked above from Adam Koralik, he does really insightful videos regarding video games & video game hardware. Anyways, I agree mostly with his analysis, which is that I think the best analogy for the 6th generation is that the 3-D version of the 4th generation. That in which the prior generations of the 3rd/5th being the ones that were immensely transformative; with the NES breaking into the US Market ending the post 83' video game crisis & 8-Bit getting during the 3rd and the rise of 3-D Gaming & CD technology being utilized in the 5th generation. The 4th generation refined the 2-D graphics of the 3rd generation with the increase to 16bit graphics which gave games a more cartoony feel (this was surprisingly a big deal back then ;D), while the 6th generation did the same with 3-D graphics as the prior generation of 32/64 bit graphics were known for being very blocky along with the visuals being very blurry, but the 6th generation had well detailed character models, more expansive environments, better sense of depth, & games having a better sense of graphical realism rather than the typical game from the prior generation feeling more like... well... a late 90s computer simulator.

Thus, due to how much the 6th generation refined the 5th generation through a graphic sense, along with online gaming getting big is why many people see it as technically modern. But I think just the mere fact that it still had enough of the 'old' as well as the 'new', as already highlighted above, is why I'd call the generation merely as 'dated', neither retro or modern. But as each year passes, the slowly the 6th generation has seemed to become more and more irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. By the time the 9th generation consoles (PS5 & Xbox Scarlett) launch in 2020, is when the 6th will officially become retro going by the traditional three generations prior method. However, even from societal & historical perspective, the mere fact that VR will likely become more integral in gaming next semester & the PS2 will be (wait for it) 20 years old is enough for reason as to why the consoles will be retro. As of now, its still cuspsy, but I see the 6th generation as mostly retro (especially the Dreamcast & GameCube, PS2 as well, Xbox... eh not so much, but still relatively old).

Written By: musicguy93 on 08/19/18 at 10:25 pm

Probably.

Written By: ofkx on 08/20/18 at 2:22 am

I've met a lot of people born in 2000-2003 who had the PS2 as their first console. It was produced till 2013.

👆
The ps2 was a HUGE part of my childhood. People don't just abandon consoles just because a new one came out ???.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/20/18 at 6:04 am

👆
The ps2 was a HUGE part of my childhood. People don't just abandon consoles just because a new one came out ???.

I said that PS2 you could claim (but undeniably, your childhood was past its peak in popularity). But the rest of 6th generation consoles were quickly phased out in 2007. Hell, the Dreamcast was already relatively ancient in comparison to other modern consoles by 2007.

Written By: Howard on 08/20/18 at 6:51 am

The Atari 2600 was my first console but then I got a PS2 afterwards.

Written By: Dundee on 08/20/18 at 7:43 am

Why are people so obsessed with the consoles they grew up with? ???

Is capitalism ruining the internet?
https://images.emojiterra.com/google/android-oreo/512px/1f914.png

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/20/18 at 8:01 am

Wait what ???

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/20/18 at 8:09 am

Yeah, same here.

Written By: Wobo on 08/20/18 at 9:13 am

I was born in 2004 and I use to play Kingdom Hearts on the PS2.

Written By: Wobo on 08/20/18 at 9:19 am

The first console I had was a Wii which I got in 2012.

Written By: John Titor on 08/20/18 at 11:46 am

I said that PS2 you could claim (but undeniably, your childhood was past its peak in popularity). But the rest of 6th generation consoles were quickly phased out in 2007. Hell, the Dreamcast was already relatively ancient in comparison to other modern consoles by 2007.

Me and you know what really happened and we are old enough to remember how the 2000s really were lol
By 2006 Dreamcast was like an artifact, it was rarely ever talked about , by early 2007 6th gen got phasedout

Written By: John Titor on 08/20/18 at 11:48 am

Exactly, No one was checking up on ps2 in 2007 or Xbox 1 in 2007 or even late 2006 lmao
People would buy FIFA and MADDEN updates for ps2 but thats about it really.

LMAO you can really tell some revisionist history on here, I remember as soon as xbox 360 hit in 2005
everyone was like...... XBOX 1 who?????? lol

Written By: Longaotian00 on 08/20/18 at 12:43 pm

Exactly, No one was checking up on ps2 in 2007 or Xbox 1 in 2007 or even late 2006 lmao

LMAO you can really tell some revisionist history on here, I remember as soon as xbox 360 hit in 2005

No. The PS2 at least, was still very popular past late 2006.

Written By: 2001 on 08/20/18 at 12:53 pm

No. The PS2 at least, was still very popular past late 2006.

The PS2 sold more than the PS3 in 2007 and early 2008. Heck, the GameBoy Advance outsold the PS3 for much of 2007, much to every anti-Sony fan's delight LOL.

The PS2 outsold the Xbox 360 for much of 2007 as well right up until Halo 3's launch, and it outsold the Wii every now and then (although this was due to supply constraints).

That is what I remember off the top of my head, being a video game sales figures junkie in the late 2000s.

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/20/18 at 12:59 pm

The PS2 sold more than the PS3 in 2007 and early 2008. Heck, the GameBoy Advance outsold the PS3 for much of 2007, much to every anti-Sony fan's delight LOL.

The PS2 outsold the Xbox 360 for much of 2007 as well right up until Halo 3's launch, and it outsold the Wii every now and then (although this was due to supply constraints).

That is what I remember off the top of my head, being a video game sales figures junkie in the late 2000s.

I never played the PS2, but I still remember it being quite popular in the late 2000's. I think I know someone born in late 2001 that had the PS2 as their very first console.

Written By: Wobo on 08/20/18 at 1:00 pm

Heck, the GameBoy Advance outsold the PS3 for much of 2007, much to every anti-Sony fan's delight LOL.

I'm really glad to hear that  8)

Written By: John Titor on 08/20/18 at 1:14 pm

Duck tales, the ps3 was selling badly in 2007 and 2008 and obv ps2 is going to sell more if a system that no one is buying and have supply constraints.
The ps3 at the time was very expensive and people opted to get the cheaper system, and even then it was just for upgrades of sports games

Xbox was never a big seller in Japan so it never sold well there, xbox 360 sold out the ps2 and ps3 almost every year in North America (not total sales)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/20/18 at 2:17 pm

The PS2 was still popular in the late 2000s.

It wasn't until 2009 when the PS2 started to die out and it was officially discounted in 2013.

Written By: Howard on 08/20/18 at 2:26 pm

cause we want to talk about it.

Written By: Howard on 08/20/18 at 2:28 pm

I never played the PS2, but I still remember it being quite popular in the late 2000's. I think I know someone born in late 2001 that had the PS2 as their very first console.

I used to own a PS2 and I didn't really like the console, it was too skinny and I almost kept tripping over the wires.

Written By: Howard on 08/20/18 at 2:29 pm

The PS2 was still popular in the late 2000s.

It wasn't until 2009 when the PS2 started to die out and it was officially discounted in 2013.

Would you say the same for The PS3?  ???

Written By: 2001 on 08/20/18 at 2:34 pm

No, it only started to take off after a series of price cuts and when the PlayStation 3 Slim came out in September 2009.

Written By: SmartBo1 on 08/20/18 at 2:42 pm

Revisionist history? Really? lol Back in 2007 everyone was mocking the ps3 for being expensive and having no games. Also the xbox 360 didn't explode in popularity until 2006.

Written By: Howard on 08/20/18 at 2:58 pm

No, it only started to take off after a series of price cuts and when the PlayStation 3 Slim came out in September 2009.

I own The Playstation 3 (big version)

Written By: John Titor on 08/20/18 at 3:30 pm

Revisionist history? Really? lol Back in 2007 everyone was mocking the ps3 for being expensive and having no games. Also the xbox 360 didn't explode in popularity until 2006.

I just said NO ONE was buying the ps3 when it came out, it wasnt until September 2009 when ps3 slim came out people bought it

People bought the ps2 because it was cheaper ,xbox 360 was the hot ticket item of late 2005 and its popularity continued from that xmas
to 2006 along with Gears of War that 2006 fall.  Also this accounts for Overall sales where in Japan everyone hates xbox. In NA xbox 360 still beat ps2

Written By: John Titor on 08/20/18 at 3:32 pm

ps3 was popular when Kesha debuted tik tok around that time, thats when it took off

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/20/18 at 3:33 pm

The 6th gen as now retro is weird to me. Haha

Written By: John Titor on 08/20/18 at 3:37 pm

The 6th gen as now retro is weird to me. Haha

6th gen is the best gen in my opinion

Written By: Wobo on 08/20/18 at 3:39 pm

6th gen is the best gen in my opinion

6th gen is pretty awesome, i only favor it for the Nintendo Gamecube. And the Dreamcast.

Written By: Shemp97 on 08/20/18 at 4:31 pm

and the last one where there were a lot of cartoony platformers (though they're coming back).

Since when did the gamecube have nearly as many mascot platformers as the Wii?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/20/18 at 4:36 pm

Anyways, generally I agree with the consensus; its retro in the sense that the consoles are already very dated. The Sega Dreamcast will be 19 this year & the PS2 had just turned 18. These systems were the last generation in which CD/DVD technology utilize game formats. Not to mention it was the last generation for proprietary formats found in the Dreamcast (GD-ROMs) & GameCube (Mini-DVDs). Even though online gaming became big & more accessible for most people in this generation, it was only the Xbox that was truly utilizing it due to its Xbox Live service. That's mainly due because Xbox was the first to have modern internet capabilities with a broadband modem built in, that along with the first to have an HDD. The PS2 required a clunky Broadband adapter add-on, along with the Dreamcast, which was via a dial-up connection (made sense for the time though), and Nintendo didn't even attempt to get with the times with the GameCube. Other technological trends that made it retro was the fact that it was the last generation of mainly wired controllers, memory cards/slots, more 'boxy' physical aesthetics, lack of DRM, lack of microtransactions in games. The last generation to measure graphics capabilities with bits (the Dreamcast & to a lesser extent the PS2 & GameCube used bits, while Xbox was the only one to adopt polygons in its terminology fully), no elaborate HUDs for system menus, among other technological trends.

That's just technology, gaming as a whole was a lot different back then. As some have already eluded, but there was a lot more diversity in genres. Platformers with cartoony characters were still significant. Games like the Jak series, Ratchet & Clank series, Sly series, PacMan World 2, Pikmin, Jet Set Radio, The 'Adventure Era' Sonic games, etc. were big back then. Super Smash Bros Melee, while a fighting/party game, was the split screen multiplayer game of choice in the early-mid 00s. That game IMHO is pretty retro in its fighting mechanics & graphics, but ironically it had held up over time (Melee tournaments are still pretty big 17 years later). FPS also weren't the cookie cutter COD clones like they are now. Most FPS titles took place in WWI/WWII such as the first three CODs & Medal of Honor. That's not to mention many other iconic FPS titles that pushed the boundaries & were relatively innovative/fun. These include TimeSplitters, the Quake series, the first two Halo games (which I'll admit, are the most 'modern' FPS games of this era, but I'd still argue based solely on graphics alone that they're pretty different from recent games), 007, and of course the legendary Half-Life 2.

VkmUZpIpxtc

I could go on and on, but overall this era in gaming also did have many modern aesthetics that propelled gaming forward, which makes this generation not as clear cut into either category. You guys should check out this video I linked above from Adam Koralik; he does insightful videos regarding video games & video game hardware. Anyways, I agree mostly with his analysis, which is that I think the best analogy for the 6th generation is that the 3-D version of the 4th generation. That in which the prior generations of the 3rd/5th being the ones that were immensely transformative; with the NES breaking into the US Market ending the post 83' video game crisis & 8-Bit getting during the 3rd and the rise of 3-D Gaming & CD technology utilized in the 5th generation. The 4th generation refined the 2-D graphics of the 3rd generation with the increase to 16bit graphics which gave games a more cartoony feel (this was surprisingly a big deal back then ;D). The 6th generation did the same with 3-D graphics as the prior generation of 32/64 bit graphics were known for being very blocky along with the visuals being very blurry. However, the 6th generation had well-detailed character models, more expansive environments, a better sense of depth, & games having a better understanding of graphical realism rather than the typical game from the prior generation feeling more like well a late 90s computer simulator.

Thus, due to how much the 6th generation refined the 5th generation through a visual sense, along with online gaming getting big is why many people see it as technically modern. But I think just the mere fact that it still had enough of the 'old' as well as the 'new,' as already highlighted above, is why I'd call the generation merely as 'dated,' neither retro or modern. But as each year passes, the slowly the 6th generation has seemed to become more and more irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. By the time the 9th generation consoles (PS5 & Xbox Scarlett) launch in 2020, is when the 6th will officially become retro going by the traditional three generations prior method. However, even from a societal & historical perspective, the mere fact that VR will likely become more integral in gaming next semester & the PS2 will be (wait for it) 20 years old is enough for a reason as to why the consoles will be retro. As of now, its still cusps, but I see the 6th generation as mostly retro (especially the Dreamcast & GameCube, PS2 as well, Xbox... eh not so much, but still relatively old).
You put it much better than I ever could. I agree with everything! I can't understand why some people won't accept that the 6th generation is retro now. All the points are you mentioned are why it's obsolete already.

I also wanted to add that even if the Xbox was the only one that integrated the online gaming service, there's still no way most people would have used it at that time. For one, Xbox Live itself came out in late 2002 giving people only three years of online access before the 360 came later. Two, broadband at that time was practically still a luxury considering the majority still had dial-up (even though the switch happened gradually) thus it made it difficult to sign up during that period.

Oh, and don't forget Killzone which was another FPS of that time and was a Sony exclusive. However, unlike most which took place in the past, this game was set in the future. You were also able to play four different characters who had specific abilities as an advantage, and you could even carry three weapons at a time compared to most where one could only hold two (except for 007). It was Halo in a way where the enemies came from space, but it used similar formats as the Medal of Honor series.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/20/18 at 4:55 pm

You put it much better than I ever could. I agree with everything! I can't understand why some people won't accept that the 6th generation is retro now. All the points are you mentioned are why it's obsolete already.

The Dreamcast is retro but the PS2, Gamecube and Xbox?! Hell no.

Written By: 2001 on 08/20/18 at 5:18 pm

I just said NO ONE was buying the ps3 when it came out, it wasnt until September 2009 when ps3 slim came out people bought it

People bought the ps2 because it was cheaper ,xbox 360 was the hot ticket item of late 2005 and its popularity continued from that xmas
to 2006 along with Gears of War that 2006 fall.  Also this accounts for Overall sales where in Japan everyone hates xbox. In NA xbox 360 still beat ps2

No, it was in America where the PS2 was outselling the Xbox 360 for much of 2007. See for yourself:

Wii        X360      PS3      PS2        NDS        PSP        GBA      GC
January    436,000    294,000    244,000  299,000    239,000    211,000    179,000  34,000
February  335,000    228,000    127,000  295,000    485,000    176,000    NR        24,000
March      259,000    199,000    130,000  280,000    509,000    180,000    143,000  22,000
April      360,000    174,000    82,000  194,000    471,000    183,000      84,000  13,000
May        338,000    155,000    82,000  188,000    423,000    221,000    NR        NR
June      381,800    198,400    98,500  270,000    561,000    230,100    113,000  NR
July      425,000    170,000    159,000  222,000    405,000    214,000      87,000  NR
August    403,600    276,700    130,600  202,000    383,300    151,200    NR        NR
September  501,000    527,800    119,400  215,000    495,800    284,500    NR        NR
October    519,000    366,000    121,000  184,000    458,000    286,000    NR        NR
November  981,000    770,000    466,000  496,000    1,530,000  567,000    NR        NR
December  1,350,000  1,260,000  797,600  1,100,000  2,470,000  1,060,000  NR        NR

Totals    6,289,400  4,618,900  2,557,100 3,945,000  8,430,100  3,763,800  606,000  93,000

NR = Not Reported for that month.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/NPD_2007_sales_figures

Like I said before, the Xbox 360 didn't start outselling the PS2 consistently until September 2007 when Halo 3 came out (although I forgot about the price cut and bundle the month before in August, which also gave it a boost).

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/20/18 at 5:20 pm

That makes no sense lol.

Written By: John Titor on 08/20/18 at 5:21 pm

No, it was in America where the PS2 was outselling the Xbox 360 for much of 2007. See for yourself:

Wii        X360      PS3      PS2        NDS        PSP        GBA      GC
January    436,000    294,000    244,000  299,000    239,000    211,000    179,000  34,000
February  335,000    228,000    127,000  295,000    485,000    176,000    NR        24,000
March      259,000    199,000    130,000  280,000    509,000    180,000    143,000  22,000
April      360,000    174,000    82,000  194,000    471,000    183,000      84,000  13,000
May        338,000    155,000    82,000  188,000    423,000    221,000    NR        NR
June      381,800    198,400    98,500  270,000    561,000    230,100    113,000  NR
July      425,000    170,000    159,000  222,000    405,000    214,000      87,000  NR
August    403,600    276,700    130,600  202,000    383,300    151,200    NR        NR
September  501,000    527,800    119,400  215,000    495,800    284,500    NR        NR
October    519,000    366,000    121,000  184,000    458,000    286,000    NR        NR
November  981,000    770,000    466,000  496,000    1,530,000  567,000    NR        NR
December  1,350,000  1,260,000  797,600  1,100,000  2,470,000  1,060,000  NR        NR

Totals    6,289,400  4,618,900  2,557,100 3,945,000  8,430,100  3,763,800  606,000  93,000

NR = Not Reported for that month.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/NPD_2007_sales_figures

Like I said before, the Xbox 360 didn't start outselling the PS2 consistently until September 2007 when Halo 3 came out (although I forgot about the price cut and bundle the month before in August, which also gave it a boost).

Then it had to be because ps3 was expensive

Written By: 2001 on 08/20/18 at 5:24 pm

PS3 had zero games in 2007 lol.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/20/18 at 5:30 pm

Hell yes they are! ;)

And so did the 360. I had one in 2006-07, and there honestly wasn't much to play aside from a few good games.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/20/18 at 5:39 pm

That makes no sense lol.

The Dreamcast was released in the 90s. The PS2, Gamecube and Xbox were released in the 2000s. I don't even get why the Dreamcast is apart of the 6th gen anyway when it clearly should be lined with the Nintendo 64 and PS1.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/20/18 at 5:58 pm

The Dreamcast came out in the 90s. The PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox in the 2000s. I don't even get why the Dreamcast is apart of the 6th gen anyway when it clearly should be lined with the Nintendo 64 and PS1.
That's because the Dreamcast was able to connect online using dial-up whereas the Nintendo 64 and PS1 could not. Its memory cards also could play games of its own, and the graphics on the console are better detailed and not all blocky. Besides, there's already a Sega console that competed with the other two which was the Saturn. Here's an example of Dreamcast graphics.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRx7GGzchxwi_candbkvEb7pt2Chttf-1UYQOhZi-f2b6qFLKlb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO6Tc2xaAwE

Do you genuinely think the opening would have been like this if the game came out on a 5th generation console?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/20/18 at 7:37 pm

The Dreamcast was released in the 90s. The PS2, Gamecube and Xbox were released in the 2000s. I don't even get why the Dreamcast is apart of the 6th gen anyway when it clearly should be lined with the Nintendo 64 and PS1.

The Dreamcast was released in 1999 and the PS2 a year later in 2000.

LOL, you're making no sense.

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/20/18 at 7:48 pm

LOL, you're make no sense.

"LOL, you are make no sense"?

That makes no sense either.  ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/20/18 at 7:55 pm

"LOL, you are make no sense"?

That makes no sense either.  ;D

Lol, thanks. It's just a typo.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/20/18 at 7:58 pm

And this is one of the reasons why the "late 2006 shift" is nonexistent.

Written By: Dundee on 08/20/18 at 8:23 pm

And this is one of the reasons why the "late 2006 shift" is nonexistent.
It is existent and it changed EVERYTHING Nothing was the same since

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/20/18 at 8:25 pm

It is existent and it changed EVERYTHING Nothing was the same since

Do you think that late 2006 was the first time it felt more 2010's than 2000's and that 2008 was the first year removed from the 2000's?

The decline of jump heights REALLY pushed the 2000's to history.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/20/18 at 8:52 pm

I'll admit, out of all of the 6th generation consoles, the Dreamcast is easily the most retro. It released in 99', measured its graphical capabilities exclusively in bits (in which it was 124 bit), had a dial up modem, had pretty cool VMUs, and a more 'clunky' style controller with a lack of dual analog sticks. Its many of those reasons why by the end of the 6th generation in 2006, the Dreamcast, unlike its slightly younger competitors, already had aged pretty considerably.

Plus, a lot of older Dreamcast games that didn't utilize the consoles capabilities fully can in all honesty pass as VERY late 5th generation games.

jrQWcgMuFFA

This commercial from around when the console launched is a perfect example of this, just look at the character models. The facial animations & physical movements look more like mannequins than actual characters in deep connected stories.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/20/18 at 9:20 pm

That's because the Dreamcast was able to connect online using dial-up whereas the Nintendo 64 and PS1 could not. Its memory cards also could play games of its own, and the graphics on the console are better detailed and not all blocky. Besides, there's already a Sega console that competed with the other two which was the Saturn. Here's an example of Dreamcast graphics.

Do you genuinely think the opening would have been like this if the game came out on a 5th generation console?

Its still more similar to graphics of the 5th gen. Compare that to Super Smash Melee. Their completely apart. Sonic Adventure and Crash Bandicoot 3 for example are way more similar in terms of graphics. SA isn't even graphically similar to DBZ Budokai while GTA III is graphically similar to the game SA isn't.

The Dreamcast was released in 1999 and the PS2 a year later in 2000.

LOL, you're making no sense.

What the f is even funny? What doesn't make sense? The Dreamcast was released in the 90s and developed even earlier in the decade, released in japan in 1998. Are you a decadeologist now? The PS2, Gamecube and Xbox are purely 6th consoles.

I'll admit, out of all of the 6th generation consoles, the Dreamcast is easily the most retro. It released in 99', measured its graphical capabilities exclusively in bits (in which it was 124 bit), had a dial up modem, had pretty cool VMUs, and a more 'clunky' style controller with a lack of dual analog sticks. Its many of those reasons why by the end of the 6th generation in 2006, the Dreamcast, unlike its slightly younger competitors, already had aged pretty considerably.

Plus, a lot of older Dreamcast games that didn't utilize the consoles capabilities fully can in all honesty pass as VERY late 5th generation games.

This commercial from around when the console launched is a perfect example of this, just look at the character models. The facial animations & physical movements look more like mannequins than actual characters in deep connected stories.

Thank you, dude. Haha

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/20/18 at 9:45 pm

It's still more similar to graphics of the 5th gen. Compare that to Super Smash Melee. They're completely apart. Sonic Adventure and Crash Bandicoot 3, for example, are way more similar regarding graphics. SA isn't even graphically similar to DBZ Budokai while GTA III is graphically similar to the game SA isn't.
Of course, Super Smash Melee would be superior, but that's because the developers went into more realistic detail than those who did Sonic Adventure.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrW0niiV9qTAi32yPpZH5n7GwZ_C9x7GaNkigJjnyxv9LK_6wwgQ

http://s2.n4g.com/news/2072745_0.jpg

Are you seriously saying that SA has the same graphics as CB? Not even! Just look at both images. One is more refined than the other.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/20/18 at 10:15 pm

Of course, Super Smash Melee would be superior, but that's because the developers went into more realistic detail than those who did Sonic Adventure.

Are you seriously saying that SA has the same graphics as CB? Not even! Just look at both images. One is more refined than the other.

Yes. Their similar, dude. Look at Sonic's spikes and Crash's spikey hair or ears even. Even their shoes show no distinctiveness. Also, look at the stage, Emerald Coast Sonic is on. The sky look like a bent wallpaper. Haha SA is also realistically detail but no way in heck is it in the same gen with Def Jam Fight For New York.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/20/18 at 10:19 pm

What the f is even funny? What doesn't make sense? The Dreamcast was released in the 90s and developed even earlier in the decade, released in japan in 1998. Are you a decadeologist now? The PS2, Gamecube and Xbox are purely 6th consoles.

What does my statement have to do with decadeology? ???

Anyways, you do you. I think you're wrong but whatever. Continue.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/20/18 at 10:23 pm

What does my statement have to do with decadeology? ???

Anyways, you do you. I think you're wrong but whatever. Continue.

I think your wrong, to. No beef tho. We're bros.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/20/18 at 10:26 pm

I think your wrong, to. No beef tho. We're bros.

True! O0

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/20/18 at 10:52 pm

Yes. They're similar, man. Look at Sonic's spikes and Crash's spiky hair or ears even. Even their shoes show no distinctiveness. Also, look at the stage, Emerald Coast Sonic is on. The sky looks like a bent wallpaper. Haha SA is also really detailed, but no way in heck is it in the same gen with Def Jam Fight For New York.
Well, you have to think about it. SA was developed sometime in 1997-98 which is why you believe it's not in the same league as other 6th gen games. Had the project on the game began in 1999 or 2000, then I guarantee you would have a different viewpoint since Sega would have had more time to make the graphics more detailed and that's also when Nintendo and Sony started making the then and upcoming Gamecube and PS2 launch titles.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/20/18 at 11:10 pm

Well, you have to think about it. SA was developed sometime in 1997-98 which is why you believe it's not in the same league as other 6th gen games. Had the project on the game began in 1999 or 2000, then I guarantee you would have a different viewpoint since Sega would have had more time to make the graphics more detailed and that's also when Nintendo and Sony started making the then and upcoming Gamecube and PS2 launch titles.

That is a good point. It is why Sonic Adventure 2 has aged much better than Sonic Adventure 1

qnNTj0zwMFU vs. XCs42XSwI-c

Sonic Adventure 2 definitely feels like a true 6th generation game, granted an early one, but 6th nonetheless. While SA1 feels like a tech demo for a Sonic game meant for the 6th generation, if that makes any sense. Another proof to the point is that SA2's re-released version of the game on GameCube had renowned praise from critics, many calling it the superior version of SA2. However, when SA1 was re-released for the GameCube, the flaws became a lot more prevalent due to how dated the game already was even by 2003 standards (when DX came out).

Nonetheless, I still heavily enjoyed both games And to this day, I still don't really get the hate these games get ???

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/20/18 at 11:36 pm

That is a good point. It is why Sonic Adventure 2 has aged much better than Sonic Adventure 1

qnNTj0zwMFU vs. XCs42XSwI-c

Sonic Adventure 2 feels like a real 6th generation game, granted an early one, but 6th nonetheless. SA1 feels like a tech demo for a Sonic game meant for the 6th generation if that makes any sense. Another proof to the point is that SA2's re-released version of the game on GameCube had renowned praise from critics, many calling it the superior version of SA2. However, when Sega re-released SA1 for the GameCube, the flaws became a lot more prevalent due to how dated the game already was even by 2003 standards (when DX came out).

Nonetheless, I still massively enjoyed both games And to this day, I even don't get the hate these games get ???
I think the reason is that SA1 was the first 3D sonic to be successfully developed by Sega at the time. Plus, they didn't have other cues (maybe aside from Nintendo's Mario) to look for to make the game graphics wise better since their first creation got canceled. There was initially supposed to be an earlier 3D game of Sonic during the Saturn days; However, the developers ended up canceling the game due to the employees continually being overworked to make that game and the person who supervised the project almost died. Had that Saturn Sonic came out without any flaws and redos, I bet the graphics on SA would have been much better since not only Sega would have had a previous assignment to look back on and take inspiration from it, but also that SA itself most likely would have come out in 2000 instead of 1999.

Written By: Howard on 08/21/18 at 7:13 am

How much did they cost?

Written By: Howard on 08/21/18 at 7:14 am

What about The 2K games?  ???

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/21/18 at 10:08 am

The Dreamcast is a late 5th gen, 6th gen hybrid. You can't convince me otherwise. Haha There are way to many games in the PS1's library that are similar enough to the Dreamcast's in graphics and texture.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/21/18 at 10:51 am

The Dreamcast is a late 5th gen, 6th gen hybrid. You can't convince me otherwise. Haha There are way to many games in the PS1's library that are similar enough to the Dreamcast's in graphics and texture.

To add to that, do any of you guys remember these?

http://www.platypuscomix.net/interactive/bleem2.JPGhttps://www.videogamex.com/image/cache/catalog/DC/bleemcasttekken3_temp-1000x454w.jpg

They were essentially high resolution re-masters of hit PS1 games on the Dreamcast. The mere fact that these titles existed, showed how close in relation the Dreamcast was to the 5th generation consoles of the PS1/N64. But at the same time, the re-released versions of many of these hit games looked substantially better on the Dreamcast, which definitely showed that the Dreamcast (despite being popular around when these 5th generation games/consoles were popular) was truly a next generation console at the time.

r6bRWlAxPN4

Overall, technically the Dreamcast is a 6th generation console, but its wide array of third party titles that were on the Dreamcast that had releases on both fellow 5th & 6th generation consoles, shows that the Dreamcast was like a weird hybrid console between both generations. Similar in many ways to the Nintendo Switch actually (or should I say the other way around).

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/21/18 at 11:46 am

They were essentially high resolution re-masters of hit PS1 games on the Dreamcast. The mere fact that these titles existed, showed how close in relation the Dreamcast was to the 5th generation consoles of the PS1/N64. But at the same time, the re-released versions of many of these hit games looked substantially better on the Dreamcast, which definitely showed that the Dreamcast (despite being popular around when these 5th generation games/consoles were popular) was truly a next generation console at the time.

Overall, technically the Dreamcast is a 6th generation console, but its wide array of third party titles that were on the Dreamcast that had releases on both fellow 5th & 6th generation consoles, shows that the Dreamcast was like a weird hybrid console between both generations. Similar in many ways to the Nintendo Switch actually (or should I say the other way around).

All is good. I can see a resemblance. Haha The Dreamcast leaning more towards the 5th gen is interesting. If you put the Dreamcast beside the PS2, Gamecube and Xbox, it has no appeal. Its just out of place. The Dreamcast comes off as delayed to me. I didn't mention the Saturn because it feels more like a experiment. 

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/21/18 at 12:11 pm

How much did they cost?
$600 at the time of the launch.

What about The 2K games?  ???
That's not enough to say that the PS3 had a bunch of games by then.

The Dreamcast is a late 5th gen, 6th gen hybrid. You can't convince me otherwise. Haha, There are way too many games in the PS1's library that are similar enough to the Dreamcast's in graphics and texture.
I still disagree. If you look at the photos of a few games that ZeldaFan provided, it shows the PS1 and Dreamcast graphics are different from you remember. Look at how more detailed the Dreamcast version of MGS is. They're more improved than the PS one, and you can see a 3D realm in the background.

http://www.platypuscomix.net/interactive/bleem2.JPGhttps://www.videogamex.com/image/cache/catalog/DC/bleemcasttekken3_temp-1000x454w.jpg

They were inherently high-resolution re-masters of hit PS1 games on the Dreamcast. The mere fact that these titles existed showed how close in relation the Dreamcast was to the 5th generation consoles of the PS1/N64. But at the same time, the re-released versions of many of these hit games looked substantially better on the Dreamcast, which showed that the Dreamcast (despite being popular around when these 5th generation games/consoles were popular) was indeed a next-generation console at the time.

r6bRWlAxPN4

Overall, technically the Dreamcast is a 6th generation console, but its vast array of third-party titles that were on the Dreamcast that had releases on both fellow 5th & 6th generation consoles shows that the Dreamcast was like a weird hybrid console between both generations. Similar in many ways to the Nintendo Switch actually (or should I say the other way around).
No, I don't remember those, unfortunately. However, just looking at the difference between the PS version of Tekken and MGS and the Dreamcast one shows how they're not the same graphics wise. I mean take a look at how the graphics some on these games look.

https://replayers.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Crazy-Taxi-Screenshot-4.jpg

http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/488877-shenmue-dreamcast-screenshot-active-town-streets.jpg

http://media.148apps.com/screenshots/554531935/us-ipad-2-jet-set-radio.jpeg

I can't see the Dreamcast being considered a 5th gen console especially beside the graphics it could do a lot more than the PS1 and N64 ever could.

I didn't mention the Saturn because it feels more like an experiment. 
Since you see the Dreamcast as 5th generation, do you the see the Saturn as part of the 4th generation?

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/21/18 at 12:37 pm

$600 at the time of the launch.
That's not enough to say that the PS3 had a bunch of games by then.
I still disagree. If you look at the photos of a few games that ZeldaFan provided, it shows the PS1 and Dreamcast graphics are different from you remember. Look at how more detailed the Dreamcast version of MGS is. They're more improved than the PS one, and you can see a 3D realm in the background.
No, I don't remember those, unfortunately. However, just looking at the difference between the PS version of Tekken and MGS and the Dreamcast one shows how they're not the same graphics wise. I mean take a look at how the graphics some on these games look.

https://replayers.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Crazy-Taxi-Screenshot-4.jpg

http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/488877-shenmue-dreamcast-screenshot-active-town-streets.jpg

http://media.148apps.com/screenshots/554531935/us-ipad-2-jet-set-radio.jpeg

I can't see the Dreamcast being considered a 5th gen console especially beside the graphics it could do a lot more than the PS1 and N64 ever could.
Since you see the Dreamcast as 5th generation, do you the see the Saturn as part of the 4th generation?

No. If anything, Sega CD and 32X are more "4th/5th gen hybrids", with discs used for the former with a greater emphasis on cutscenes, and the later with graphics closer to the Saturn/PS1. Atari's Jaguar came out first, and was essentially the Dreamcast of the 5th generation. It was the first 64-bit console, yet Atari got out of the console industry after that, mostly due to the high price and low 3rd party support.

With regards to the OP, it's pretty much there given what others have said, though of course it's not "retro" in away previous generations were viewed as retro, especially for those over 30 who have been around since the fourth generation or earlier. But like classic rock/pop music, what becomes "retro" moves forward in time, and is comparable to about 20 years ago when the first half of the '80s were in their early stages of being retro in terms of rock/pop (along with the second generation of gaming), though the '60s/'70s were still by far the most popular "retro" decades in 1998 (Pong included).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/21/18 at 12:44 pm

No. If anything, Sega CD and 32X are more "4th/5th gen hybrids", with discs used for the former with a greater emphasis on cutscenes, and the later with graphics closer to the Saturn/PS1. Atari's Jaguar came out first and was essentially the Dreamcast of the 5th generation. It was the first 64-bit console, yet Atari got out of the console industry after that, mostly due to the high price and low 3rd party support.
So that means you agree with me that the Dreamcast is rightfully considered 6th gen or do you think it's a hybrid like the Jaguar?

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/21/18 at 2:40 pm

Nonetheless, I still heavily enjoyed both games And to this day, I still don't really get the hate these games get ???

Some people feel they haven't aged well, with things like the treasure hunting and shooting being considered less fun than the speed stages.

Also, this may be a lesser/petty factor, but it seems some older Millennials who grew up on Sonic Satam (where Sonic has a gang of Freedom Fighter furries, and Robotnik is eviler, and their planet is Mobius and not Earth) felt betrayed that Sega didn't follow that story in the Adventure games onward (even though it was just a spin-off and not canon).

Written By: John Titor on 08/21/18 at 7:21 pm

Some people feel they haven't aged well, with things like the treasure hunting and shooting being considered less fun than the speed stages.

Also, this may be a lesser/petty factor, but it seems some older Millennials who grew up on Sonic Satam (where Sonic has a gang of Freedom Fighter furries, and Robotnik is eviler, and their planet is Mobius and not Earth) felt betrayed that Sega didn't follow that story in the Adventure games onward (even though it was just a spin-off and not canon).

Sonic CD and Sonic Spinball both have Sally in it

https://orig00.deviantart.net/2d1a/f/2011/118/7/5/sally_acorn_on_sonic_spinball_by_segagenesis4100-d3f429a.png
Sega of America renamed Sally to Amy to better match her up with her Japanese counterpart  in CD
if you look at the Instruction booklet for Sonic CD it says Sally Acorn

http://info.sonicretro.org/images/thumb/6/68/SonicCD_MCD_US_manual.pdf/page4-356px-SonicCD_MCD_US_manual.pdf.jpg

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/21/18 at 10:12 pm

I'm over this debate. Haha We're bros dude. Even if it has better graphics than the PS1, that still isn't a reason why it shouldn't belong to the 5th gen. If anything, the Dreamcast was discontinued too early. Its late 5th gen, 6th gen hybrid Y2K to me.

I don't see the Saturn at all. I never heard of it until recent. Its an experimental console to me.

Written By: 2001 on 08/21/18 at 10:16 pm

I'm over this debate. Haha We're bros dude. Even if it has better graphics than the PS1, that still isn't a reason why it shouldn't belong to the 5th gen. If anything, the Dreamcast was discontinued too early. Its late 5th gen, 6th gen hybrid Y2K to me.

I don't see the Saturn at all. I never heard of it until recent. Its an experimental console to me.

The Saturn actually sold more than the N64 in Japan, and even matched the sales of the PS1 in 1994/1995. It was in 1996 that the PS1 pulled ahead, and not devisevly so until 1997 when FF7 came out  :D

The Saturn has so many hidden gems, if you can read Japanese :P I actually started learning Japanese when I was 14 because I wanted to play Japanese Saturn and Super Famicom games :D

Written By: mqg96 on 08/22/18 at 8:27 pm

Videogamology :o :o!!

;D ;D

Don't even start some new drama on here  ;D ;D ;D

Then anything rightfully or wrongly accused of being -ology gets locked on these boards!

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/22/18 at 8:31 pm

So what do you think of the 6th gen being retro/modern Marquis? Interested to hear.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/22/18 at 8:33 pm

^ I'm with Zeldafan, couldn't have explained it any better than myself. 6th generation in most aspects is the last retro generation with the traditional living room, local multiplayer gaming with your personal friends but at the same time in some aspects it was in that transition phase to online gaming before it exploded when 7th generation first started. When it comes to the graphics you could argue that 6th generation is the first modern generation, although compared to 8th generation the 6th gen graphics look extremely old now  :o  Keep in mind this generation started in 2001 and peaked in 2004. With the era of gaming we were in back then you could argue that's definitely retro now.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 08/22/18 at 8:36 pm

You had to really be into the gaming industry to have known about the Saturn since it wasn't sold at most retailers due to Sega releasing the console 4 months before it's initial launch date which is pretty sad because everyone and their mother knew what the Genesis was. The CD and 32x (those didn't sell too great) but the average gamer still were aware of their existence. Adam Korlik (A big Sega Youtuber who was born in 1986) didn't even know about the Saturn when it was out despite being a big Sega fan. The Saturn is definitely like the Wii-U in that sense in that unless you kept up with the gaming industry you wouldn't have known they existed. The Wii-U at least had more awareness due to having more high-profile titles and it coming out when the internet was readily available.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/22/18 at 10:30 pm

You had to really be into the gaming industry to have known about the Saturn since it wasn't sold at most retailers due to Sega releasing the console 4 months before it's initial launch date which is pretty sad because everyone and their mother knew what the Genesis was. The CD and 32x (those didn't sell too great) but the average gamer still were aware of their existence. Adam Korlik (A big Sega Youtuber who was born in 1986) didn't even know about the Saturn when it was out despite being a big Sega fan.

I agree. It was a shame that Sega didn't market it correctly. The rumor is that Sega of Japan were eager in getting the Saturn out before the PS1 to get a headstart. It was a decent strategy, but the problem was that it wasn't planned ahead with enough foresight. The console was announced around in March of 95' & essentially was planned to be released in the U.S in September of 95', but Sega of Japan pushed Sega of America to release the console in May of 95'. Because of this sudden move, American consumers were barely able to adjust to the mere fact that a new console was launching, many disregarded it or were unaware of it (like in Koralik's case, also I'm glad to see fellow Koralik fan on here 8)). This was also around the time the 32X had just been released, and Bernie Storlar (the genius he was....) was advertising that as Sega 'next generation system'. Even though it technically released in 1993/1994, Bernie was still an executive at Sega & thus knew the Saturn was around the corner, so he did a dis service to the Saturn when it eventually released by confusing consumers. Thus, that kind of blow Sega of America took would've probably still occurred, even if the Saturn released later in like September of 95', due to American consumers being confused.

The Saturn is definitely like the Wii-U in that sense in that unless you kept up with the gaming industry you wouldn't have known they existed. The Wii-U at least had more awareness due to having more high-profile titles and it coming out when the internet was readily available.

Yeah, I've said before & I'll say it again. If the Nintendo Wii U was the modern day Sega Saturn, the Nintendo Switch is the modern day Sega Dreamcast.

https://pics.me.me/bruh-fight-me-27954658.png

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/22/18 at 10:38 pm

I agree. It was a shame that Sega didn't market it correctly. The rumor is that Sega of Japan were eager in getting the Saturn out before the PS1 to get a headstart. It was a decent strategy, but the problem was that it wasn't planned ahead with enough foresight. The console was announced around in March of 95' & essentially was planned to be released in the U.S in September of 95', but Sega of Japan pushed Sega of America to release the console in May of 95'. Because of this sudden move, American consumers were barely able to adjust to the mere fact that a new console was launching, many disregarded it or were unaware of it (like in Koralik's case, also I'm glad to see fellow Koralik fan on here 8)). This was also around the time the 32X had just been released, and Bernie Storlar (the genius he was....) was advertising that as Sega 'next generation system'. Even though it technically released in 1993/1994, Bernie was still an executive at Sega & thus knew the Saturn was around the corner, so he did a dis service to the Saturn when it eventually released by confusing consumers. Thus, that kind of blow Sega of America took would've probably still occurred, even if the Saturn released later in like September of 95', due to American consumers being confused.

Yeah, I've said before & I'll say it again. If the Nintendo Wii U was the modern day Sega Saturn, the Nintendo Switch is the modern day Sega Dreamcast.

https://pics.me.me/bruh-fight-me-27954658.png

Speaking of that, Youtuber UnknownArchive has a series of videos partially talking about this, how folks like Yuji Naka and Bernie Storlar killed Sega and the Sonic series with their poor decisions in the mid-late 90s.

yQWfAMU5jSI5UCJcWQ8rEA

Be warned, there's some NSFW jokes and pics. Also, he bashes the Adventure games and Dreamcast which you would disagree with, and his content appears to be half-trolling/half-seriousness instead of being fully serious. Nevertheless, both videos are interesting, if you've got the time to kill two hours, and give us an insight of retro gaming in the 80s-90s with the old commercials and songs he uses.

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/23/18 at 8:44 pm

Any you guys watch the videos I linked?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/23/18 at 11:48 pm

I'm over this debate. Haha, We're buddies man. Even if it has better graphics than the PS1, that still isn't a reason why it shouldn't belong to the 5th gen. If anything, Sega discontinued the Dreamcast too early. Its late 5th gen, 6th gen hybrid Y2K to me.
Oh, yeah we are. It's all good man. As for the Dreamcast, one of the reasons Sega discontinued it too early is that they believed that Sony was going have a significant lead ahead of them (Which didn't happen since PS2 didn't have interesting launch titles and their popular games wouldn't come until a few years later). Another one is that they also lost millions or billions of money due past of previous Sega consoles which made them decide to pack up as a console manufacturer and go 3rd party.

The Saturn sold more than the N64 in Japan and even matched the sales of the PS1 in 1994/1995. It was in 1996 that the PS1 pulled ahead, and not decisively so until 1997 when FF7 came out :D
Yeah, I find it out of place when people say PS1 was #1 from the start when that's false considering during its first two years, it didn't have much of a library except for Crash Bandicoot, and FF7 had not been out yet.

Written By: John Titor on 08/24/18 at 11:30 am

Oh, yeah we are. It's all good man. As for the Dreamcast, one of the reasons Sega discontinued it too early is that they believed that Sony was going have a significant lead ahead of them (Which didn't happen since PS2 didn't have interesting launch titles and their popular games wouldn't come until a few years later). Another one is that they also lost millions or billions of money due past of previous Sega consoles which made them decide to pack up as a console manufacturer and go 3rd party.
Yeah, I find it out of place when people say PS1 was #1 from the start when that's false considering during its first two years, it didn't have much of a library except for Crash Bandicoot, and FF7 had not been out yet.

Not exactly, in the fall of 2001 GTA 3 was a top seller right out of the gate the controversy was all over the news as well

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/25/18 at 2:29 pm

Not exactly, in the fall of 2001 GTA 3 was a top seller right out of the gate the controversy was all over the news as well
But that's only one game. That's not enough to say that the PS2 was #1 during its early days. As I said before, the console didn't have notable launch titles except for SSX, Madden NFL 2001, Midnight Club, Timesplitters, and Street Fighter EX3.

Written By: John Titor on 08/25/18 at 2:31 pm

But that's only one game. That's not enough to say that the PS2 was #1 during its early days. As I said before, the console didn't have notable launch titles except for SSX, Madden NFL 2001, Midnight Club, Timesplitters, and Street Fighter EX3.

ps2 was 1# during its early days I was in middle school LOL
Dreamcast was dead and n64 was not putting out hits as well as ps1.

GTA 3 was that hype, By 9/11 PS2 was 1#
The hype for that system was unreal, it actually got even more hyped by fall 2001
due to GTA 3 & GT 3

Rappers were name dropping PS2 in songs

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/25/18 at 4:01 pm

ps2 was 1# during its early days I was in middle school LOL
Dreamcast was dead, and n64 was not putting out hits as well as ps1.

GTA 3 was that hype, By 9/11 PS2 was #1
The hype for that system was unreal; it got even more excited by fall 2001
due to GTA 3 & GT 3

Rappers were name dropping PS2 in songs
You're exaggerating how huge the PS2 was at that time. Weren't most people buying it because it had a DVD player and not necessarily good games? I found some figures on much sales it had and gave me this, but bear in mind that's it going by North American sales, not just the US.

June 30, 2001 - 5.15
September 30, 2001 - 8.24
December 31, 2001 - 9.87

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2_sales

Written By: John Titor on 08/25/18 at 4:21 pm

You're exaggerating how huge the PS2 was at that time. Weren't most people buying it because it had a DVD player and not necessarily good games? I found some figures on much sales it had and gave me this, but bear in mind that's it going by North American sales, not just the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2_sales

I am not exaggerating it, I was a teenager in 8th grade and I guarantee  you anyone that was in 6th-12th grade in 2001 will
tell you PS2 was as hyped as everyone said it was, yes it was the DVD player that helped sell it but as soon as GTA 3 came out
it was all over the news, the hype was real,  XBOX also had hype 2 months after but it was still ps2 mania, no exaggeration
what so ever. GTA 3 alone changed the gaming industry. I will assume you were not old enough back then and are just
assuming based on ps2's lack of titles the system had no hype. ps2 hype was almost as comparable to how big Eminem was
in the early 2000s. Another game that also had lots of hype then was Max Payne, there were Billboards for it everywhere.

zeWMXFkJAU0

GTA 3 was constantly in the press, it was PS2 mania that year, this is just a random news clip from 2002
talking about the controversy

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/25/18 at 5:01 pm

I am not exaggerating it, I was a teenager in 8th grade, and I guarantee you anyone that was in 6th-12th grade in 2001 will
tell you PS2 was as hyped as everyone said it was. Yes, it was the DVD player that helped sell it, but as soon as GTA 3 came out
it was all over the news, the hype was real. XBOX also had hype two months after, but it was still ps2 mania, no exaggeration
what so ever. GTA 3 alone changed the gaming industry. I will assume you were not old enough back then and are just
guessing based on ps2's lack of titles the system had no hype. The ps2 hype was almost as comparable to how big Eminem was
in the early 2000s. Another game that also had lots of hype then was Max Payne; there were Billboards for it everywhere.

zeWMXFkJAU0

GTA 3 was always in the press; it was PS2 mania that year. Here's a random news clip from 2002 talking about the controversy.
GTA 3 may have been super exciting, but again it was only one game. The two reasons why that game changed the industry was that it was an open world game (Which was one of the first of its kind) and that it was rated M for mature which caused the controversy in the first place.

Oh, and I never said that the PS2 had a lack of titles, I just mentioned that during its launch, it didn't have notable games except for SSX, Madden NFL 2001, Midnight Club, Timesplitters, and Street Fighter EX3.

Written By: John Titor on 08/25/18 at 5:11 pm

GTA 3 may have been super exciting, but again it was only one game. The two reasons why that game changed the industry was that it was an open world game (Which was one of the first of its kind) and that it was rated M for mature which caused the controversy in the first place.

Oh, and I never said that the PS2 had a lack of titles, I just mentioned that during its launch, it didn't have notable games except for SSX, Madden NFL 2001, Midnight Club, Timesplitters, and Street Fighter EX3.

You still haven't answered my statement on you being too young to remember , which means you prob were, but if you were my age at the time
you would have been able to experience the ps2 hype, it was very very very real, I would say ps2 is the most hyped system of all time, above snes
above genisis above even the almighty dreamcast. I have no over exaggerated anything about ps2's hype, the system was constantly in the news over outages at stores, people were killing people to get the system, then you got the GTA 3 controversy which was making headlines in the news every single day, trust me I remember how it was.

Other posters will agree with me on how big PS2's hype was it was like the Beatles or some ish.
It is one of those things you have to experience in the moment instead of reading about. (assuming you were 2 young)

Written By: John Titor on 08/25/18 at 5:18 pm

Fall 2001 had

FF X
GTA 3
GT 3
Metal Gear Solid 2
Max Payne
Jak Daxter

And this was all before ps2's first year finished!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/25/18 at 6:57 pm

You still haven't answered my statement on you being too young to remember, which means you probably were, but if you were my age at the time, you would have been able to experience the ps2 hype. It was very very very real. I would say ps2 is the amazing system of all time, above SNES, above genesis above even the almighty Dreamcast. I have no over exaggerated anything about ps2's hype; the system was constantly in the news over outages at stores, people were killing people to get the system, then you got the GTA 3 controversy which was making headlines in the news every single day, trust me I remember how it was.

Other posters will agree with me on how big PS2's hype was it was like the Beatles or some ish.
It is one of those things you have to experience at the moment instead of reading about it. (assuming you were too young)
I wasn't though. I recall the PS2 like it was yesterday and again, I never said the console wasn't promoted by Sony back then. I just stated there wasn't indeed any early PS2 games that most people remember aside from the ones I mentioned as well as GTA3 and GT3. The majority of titles that were famous on PS2 had not been out yet at that time. Plus, it would have been difficult to buy every released game during that time anyway.

Fall 2001 had

FF X
GTA 3
GT 3
Metal Gear Solid 2
Max Payne
Jak Daxter

And this was all before ps2's first year finished!
The ones I bolded came out in November and December of 2001. Sony may have people excited for those games, but I highly doubt most people had them at the time.

Written By: John Titor on 08/25/18 at 7:38 pm

I wasn't though. I recall the PS2 like it was yesterday and again, I never said the console wasn't promoted by Sony back then. I just stated there wasn't indeed any early PS2 games that most people remember aside from the ones I mentioned as well as GTA3 and GT3. The majority of titles that were famous on PS2 had not been out yet at that time. Plus, it would have been difficult to buy every released game during that time anyway.
The ones I bolded came out in November and December of 2001. Sony may have people excited for those games, but I highly doubt most people had them at the time.

everyone I knew had those games by the Fall of 2001

esp GTA 3

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/26/18 at 11:07 am

Speaking of that, Youtuber UnknownArchive has a series of videos partially talking about this, how folks like Yuji Naka and Bernie Storlar killed Sega and the Sonic series with their poor decisions in the mid-late 90s.

yQWfAMU5jSI5UCJcWQ8rEA

Be warned, there's some NSFW jokes and pics. Also, he bashes the Adventure games and Dreamcast which you would disagree with, and his content appears to be half-trolling/half-seriousness instead of being fully serious. Nevertheless, both videos are interesting, if you've got the time to kill two hours, and give us an insight of retro gaming in the 80s-90s with the old commercials and songs he uses.

Lol, I finally watched these videos. Obivously I disagree with his analysis on the Adventure era games (SA1, SA2, & Heroes). I always found it ironic when 'Classicists' (people that grew up with the 16 bit originals) always complain about Modern 3D Sonic games not going back to the formulas of the originals, But yet the Adventure Era Sonic Games ALREADY were that. The Adventure Era Games of the Late 90s/Early 00s were the closest in style, music, stage progression, story elements, & overall gameplay than these smug Classicists ever would admit. They'd just continue to disregard these games as being sh!tty, mainly because a lot of these guys, quite frankly, were already in middle/high school when these games came out & thus would obviously be more critical of these games. When you're a kid, you obviously usually take what is spoon fed to you, regardless if it was good or bad. So while I am not discarding the many obvious flaws in the Adventure era Sonic Games (the rise in Bugs, un-needed gameplay tropes, crappy voice acting, catering to casuals/weird furries rather than classic fans, etc.), I always thought that their criticisms were still insanely hyperbolic/overdrawn to a magnitude of epic proportions. Almost to the point of putting these games in the same league as Sonic 06......SONIC 06.

Heck, I've heard some that have claimed that the Adventure era games were worse than the more recent 'Boost Formula' Post 2006 Sonic Games (Unleashed, Colors, Generations, etc.). However, many of their criticisms of modern Sonic games being glitchy, formulaic, massively linear stages, lack of substantial content, etc. could easily be found in most Sonic games after 2006. But the Sonic Games of the Adventure Era that had reasonably crafted levels with a great balance of linearity & exploration, cheesy but easy to follow stories that in all honesty are relatively similar to the stories of the Genesis age, a good balance of characters, & overall a wide array of content that never made things get old (the Chao Garden is a perfect example) are always looked down upon & receive the most sh!t from the Classicist community....

I'd recommend you check out these reviews from ExoParadigm Gamer that does a great/detailed analysis regarding the Adventure Era Sonic Games. He's around our age so he grew up with these games just like us. However, he has also extensively played the 16-Bit Era Games & of course the Modern games, so he's not completely blinded by nostalgia. So I'd recommend you check these out:

mvcNpMdEk7YZPD7txITpxc
kMK7dKk5flsgdbkX5RboFk

They are easily the most objective & balanced pertaining to this subject.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/26/18 at 8:57 pm

Another video I just stumbled as a rebuttal regarding ProJared's flawed review of Sonic Adventure 2:

6BrN4ABIJKQ

This video a little more recent than the ExoParadigmGamer's reviews on the Adventure era games. It seems like prior to 2012, the Sonic Adventure games were respected in the Sonic Community. Then in 2012-2013, Some Call Me Johny's Review of SA2 draws a more critical look into the game that hadn't been seen practically ever in the community up to that point. However, things were still relatively civil, and most people still had an amount of respect for the Adventure games, but that was also around the time when the "SA1 > SA2" or "SA1 was only 1/2 good, SA2 was only 1/3 good" comments began to prevalent. However, since ProJared's review of SA2 in 2015 (along with many other Adventure reviews in 2015) the Adventure games went from being respected but flawed to "Some of the WORST GAMES EVER!!!" or "ONLY NOSTALGIC FANBOYS LOVE THESE PILES OF HORSESH!T!!!", among other disparaging comments which I'll admit are a bit hyperbolic, still reveal an underlying trend that ALL 3D Sonic Games might as well be in the same category as the dreaded Sonic 06, and that was especially true for the 3D Sonic Games leading up to Sonic 06's fateful release.

Written By: Frodomar2002 on 08/29/18 at 9:55 pm

Yes. The 6th generation of gaming i'd consider retro.

Written By: Zelek3 on 02/20/19 at 8:26 pm

So Gamespot is.now selling 6th gen games in their retro section, wikipedia now says gens 1-6 are retro gaming. Seems safe to say Gen 6 is retro, new question is will Gen 7 ever be?

Funny story. On retro gaming forums I go to, the Luddites there used to be all like "Oh god imagine people years from now coming here to talk about how they were 7 in 2007 and the Master Chief clown entertained them at their birthday party when they got a new 360." Well now you've got people on social media posting about how 360, Cool Math Games, Webkinz, and Minecraft were their childhood, and I'm sure retro elitists' heads are exploding. Lol.

Written By: floppy on 02/20/19 at 8:39 pm

So Gamespot is.now selling 6th gen games in their retro section, wikipedia now says gens 1-6 are retro gaming. Seems safe to say Gen 6 is retro, new question is will Gen 7 ever be?

Funny story. On retro gaming forums I go to, the Luddites there used to be all like "Oh god imagine people years from now coming here to talk about how they were 7 in 2007 and the Master Chief clown entertained them at their birthday party when they got a new 360." Well now you've got people on social media posting about how 360, Cool Math Games, Webkinz, and Minecraft were their childhood, and I'm sure retro elitists' heads are exploding. Lol.

Im starting to see a lot of wii in 2019? xbox 360 in 2019 etc. I think 7th is gonna be retro sooner then later especially with 8th gen consoles coming at max 2 years.

Written By: SpyroKev on 02/20/19 at 8:42 pm

We're in a strange unorganized reality. Haha Classic should be the new word for retro.

Written By: GuapitoChico on 02/21/19 at 1:35 am

In my mind, anything I grew up with will never feel retro, so no.

Written By: Howard on 02/21/19 at 7:26 am

What about the PS3? Is that retro yet?

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 02/21/19 at 8:32 am

What about the PS3? Is that retro yet?

Nah!!! Hell naw ;D.

Its becoming a tad bit dated though.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 02/21/19 at 2:42 pm

Nah!!! Hell naw ;D.

At least until the 9th generation officially begans. Switch is technically 9th gen but is inferior to the previous systems.

Written By: Howard on 02/21/19 at 4:20 pm

Nah!!! Hell naw ;D.

So Zelda when do you think The PS3 will become retro since it's arrival in 2007, am I right? ???

Written By: Zelek3 on 02/21/19 at 4:44 pm

So Zelda when do you think The PS3 will become retro since it's arrival in 2007, am I right? ???

2025 I would say

Written By: mwalker1996 on 02/21/19 at 5:27 pm

2021 since it'll be 15 yrs for me.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 02/21/19 at 6:34 pm

At least until the 9th generation officially begans. Switch is technically 9th gen but is inferior to the previous systems.

Its three generations prior when a particular console or game becomes retro. Hence why the 6th generation is just starting to be seen as retro as we are transitioning to the 9th generation of consoles at the moment.

However, FWIW, because of Diminishing Returns the jumps between generations aren't as jarring as they used to be. Heck, back in the Virtual Channel days on the Wii in the Late 2000s, the selection of titles of N64 games from the Late 1990s already looked quite dated from a graphics standpoint, despite only being about 10 years old at that point. Meanwhile, most Wii games from the Late 2000s in comparison to Switch games in the Late 2010s also do look rather dated, but not as jarring as comparing Wii to N64 in the Late 2000s, not even to mention comparing N64 to NES in the Late 1990s.

Written By: floppy on 02/21/19 at 7:45 pm

Its three generations prior when a particular console or game becomes retro. Hence why the 6th generation is just starting to be seen as retro as we are transitioning to the 9th generation of consoles at the moment.

However, FWIW, because of Diminishing Returns the jumps between generations aren't as jarring as they used to be. Heck, back in the Virtual Channel days on the Wii in the Late 2000s, the selection of titles of N64 games from the Late 1990s already looked quite dated from a graphics standpoint, despite only being about 10 years old at that point. Meanwhile, most Wii games from the Late 2000s in comparison to Switch games in the Late 2010s also do look rather dated, but not as jarring as comparing Wii to N64 in the Late 2000s, not even to mention comparing N64 to NES in the Late 1990s.

I agree the jumps between gens are not as huge as they once were like 11 years before the Wii we had the SNES which was barely able to do 3d. 11 years before the switch we had the Wii.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 02/21/19 at 10:13 pm

Not really the 5th gen was already considered retro during the 7th gen since the n64 used cartridges and the graphics of the 5th gen consoles were considered badly aged by that point. 6th gen felt retro to me once the 8th started since the Dreamcast was close to 15 yrs old by that point and gaming has changed so drastically from the early 2000s to the mid-10s to where 6th gen games were getting remade.

Written By: Howard on 02/22/19 at 7:08 am

2025 I would say

So by that time The PS3 will be long gone from being obsolete.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 02/26/19 at 11:13 pm

Not really the 5th gen was already considered retro during the 7th gen since the n64 used cartridges and the graphics of the 5th gen consoles were considered badly aged by that point. 6th gen felt retro to me once the 8th started since the Dreamcast was close to 15 yrs old by that point and gaming has changed so drastically from the early 2000s to the mid-10s to where 6th gen games were getting remade.

Well true, thats a good point. But you also have to take into account that the gap in technology, especially in graphics, between the 5th & 7th generations was much more substantial than the difference between 6th & 8th generations now. So maybe people were more receptive of the idea of calling 5th generation retro back in the Late 2000s than people calling 6th retro now in the Late 2010s.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 02/27/19 at 7:58 am

Well true, thats a good point. But you also have to take into account that the gap in technology, especially in graphics, between the 5th & 7th generations was much more substantial than the difference between 6th & 8th generations now. So maybe people were more receptive of the idea of calling 5th generation retro back in the Late 2000s than people calling 6th retro now in the Late 2010s.
I can see that. Just like how the early 10s were for 00s borns the early 00s were for 90s borns. I can see why someone who grew up in the 8 or 16 bit era still see 6th gen as modern since they remember a time when gaming was 2D. If you look at how we play video games now and heck most of the 7th generation compared to the 6th generation it's wildly different. The 6th gen had online gaming but it was very primitive and only a few people played online compared to now. 6th gen still used memory cards, controllers were still wired, no dlc, newly released games still costed 50 dollars, and people still went over to people houses to play games.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 03/01/19 at 2:18 pm

The 6th gen could be started to become considered retro around this time because no one sells 6th gen consoles and games anymore for the past several years and if any 6th gen game had online play, it has long been shutdown as well. I also do predict GameStop to stop selling 7th gen games in their retail stores and online gameplay for the 7th gen consoles to be finally shutdown sometime in the early 2020s, even though it might be slightly longer before the 7th gen can be considered retro in the future.

Written By: SpyroKev on 03/01/19 at 4:23 pm

The 6th gen could be started to become considered retro around this time because no one sells 6th gen consoles and games anymore for the past several years and if any 6th gen game had online play, it has long been shutdown as well. I also do predict GameStop to stop selling 7th gen games in their retail stores and online gameplay for the 7th gen consoles to be finally shutdown sometime in the early 2020s, even though it might be slightly longer before the 7th gen can be considered retro in the future.

No one actually uses the word "retro" tho. Its just a term used in the nerd community. When you even look into the word its self, it sounds like a joke. People just use "good ol'" or "old game"

Written By: February2002 on 03/01/19 at 7:44 pm

I can see that. Just like how the early 10s were for 00s borns the early 00s were for 90s borns. I can see why someone who grew up in the 8 or 16 bit era still see 6th gen as modern since they remember a time when gaming was 2D. If you look at how we play video games now and heck most of the 7th generation compared to the 6th generation it's wildly different. The 6th gen had online gaming but it was very primitive and only a few people played online compared to now. 6th gen still used memory cards, controllers were still wired, no dlc, newly released games still costed 50 dollars, and people still went over to people houses to play games.

I grew up with 16 bit in the 90s and I consider 6th gen Retro

Written By: Howard on 03/02/19 at 2:20 pm

I don't know if I asked but what generation would My PS3 be?

Written By: mwalker1996 on 03/02/19 at 3:00 pm

I don't know if I asked but what generation would My PS3 be?
Just old at the moment. Heck There's still new Wii games being made, so ps3 ain't retro yet.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/02/19 at 3:03 pm

Just old at the moment. Heck, There's still new Wii games being made, so ps3 ain't retro yet.
Whoa! Are you serious? I thought Wii games stopped being made about a decade ago.

Written By: floppy on 03/02/19 at 4:28 pm

The Wii gets more games then the Wii U now!

Written By: mwalker1996 on 03/02/19 at 7:32 pm

Whoa! Are you serious? I thought Wii games stopped being made about a decade ago.
Wii didn't get discontinued till 2013, but still get just dance games till this dance. The reason why you might think the Wii stopped getting games a decade ago because after 2010 the Wii had a long drought releases where they would get 2 games a year. In 2011 Skyward sword came out and a Kirby game came out. In 2012 Mario Party 9, and Pandoras Tower came out. After early 2012 the Wii just died and Nintendo was forcing on the Wii u.

Written By: 2001 on 03/02/19 at 8:37 pm

No one actually uses the word "retro" tho. Its just a term used in the nerd community. When you even look into the word its self, it sounds like a joke. People just use "good ol'" or "old game"

Retro is a term used by people who collect retro games, and the 6th gen is definitely considered retro and has been for quite a few years now :P

Written By: Howard on 03/03/19 at 2:26 pm

Just old at the moment. Heck There's still new Wii games being made, so ps3 ain't retro yet.

So perhaps within the next few years?

Written By: 2001 on 03/04/19 at 11:34 am

So perhaps within the next few years?

I think after the PS5 comes out, you can call the PS3 retro.

It will never not sound wrong to me though ;D

Written By: Howard on 03/05/19 at 7:38 am

I think after the PS5 comes out, you can call the PS3 retro.

It will never not sound wrong to me though ;D

I think I might need to get PS4 after The PS3 becomes obsolete.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/05/19 at 10:22 am

I think I might need to get PS4 after The PS3 becomes obsolete.

You're better yet just getting the PS5. It is expected to be fully backwards compatible of all Playstation games. Meaning you can play all of the new PS5 games, along with everything from PS1-PS4, all on one system.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/17/19 at 7:32 pm

It's hard to believe, but that generation of gaming is now the same age as the old school Nintendo was when that generation first came out.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 03/17/19 at 9:48 pm

It's hard to believe, but that generation of gaming is now the same age as the old school Nintendo was when that generation first came out.
Facts

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/18/19 at 12:19 am

Just shows how much time flies. The generation of kids that grew up with Nintendo in the 1980s would have been young adults in the Late 1990s, similar to how the generation of kids that grew up with the Wii in the 2000s are now young adults in the Late 2010s.

Its crazy to think about because the gaming world of 1999 was leaps & bounds on a different planet (or heck, even a different universe) to the gaming world of 1986, despite only being about 13 years apart. 2019 & 2006 is also pretty substantial, but it doesn't seem as gigantic as the difference between 86' & 99'.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 03/18/19 at 10:01 am

Just shows how much time flies. The generation of kids that grew up with Nintendo in the 1980s would have been young adults in the Late 1990s, similar to how the generation of kids that grew up with the Wii in the 2000s are now young adults in the Late 2010s.

Its crazy to think about because the gaming world of 1999 was leaps & bounds on a different planet (or heck, even a different universe) to the gaming world of 1986, despite only being about 13 years apart. 2019 & 2006 is also pretty substantial, but it doesn't seem as gigantic as the difference between 86' & 99'.
True. Every kid in elementary school now was born after the Wii launched.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/18/19 at 9:46 pm

True. Every kid in elementary school now was born after the Wii launched.

Yeah, now thats wild :o. I vividly remember the launch of the Wii and how transformative it was like it was yesterday. The fact that there are now kids that weren't a even a twinkle in their parent's eyes when the system launched is truly eerie.

Another example as to why "its weird that people were born in and after the 2000s".... I'm paraphrasing here lol

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/18/19 at 9:48 pm

BTW, I stumbled upon this video talking about the legacy of the Wii

HiBodKbbJy4

Its a pretty good and playful analysis. However, do you guys think that the current bitter opinion of the Wii will ever change?

Written By: mwalker1996 on 03/18/19 at 10:07 pm

Yeah, now thats wild :o. I vividly remember the launch of the Wii and how transformative it was like it was yesterday. The fact that there are now kids that weren't a even a twinkle in their parent's eyes when the system launched is truly eerie.

Another example as to why "its weird that people were born in and after the 2000s".... I'm paraphrasing here lol
Same way 16 bit era gamers felt about people our age when we that age.  Now 32-bit era is considered old school.

Check for new replies or respond here...