inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Can everyone believe that the Lady Gaga era was a decade ago?

Written By: bchris02 on 08/17/18 at 3:59 pm

On August 19, 2018, it will be exactly a decade since Lady Gaga released her first album The Fame.  Some of the most popular, well known, and beloved songs of her career came from her debut album, including "Poker Face," "Paparazzi," and "Just Dance."  Though Lady Gaga isn't as prominent as she once was, her impact can still be felt in pop and electronic music today.

Can you believe it's been 10 years?

Subject: Re: Can everyone believe that the Lady Gaga era was a decade ago?

Written By: Dundee on 08/17/18 at 4:02 pm

It does feel 10 years old tbh

From the production values of the singles to the fashion in the clip of "Just Dance":
2Abk1jAONjw
Painfully late noughties

Written By: ofkx on 08/18/18 at 6:42 am

I found it hard to believe at first but then I watched her songs from 2008-2009 and I was like "yep, this is definitely a long time ago" ;D. They're already so outdated.

Written By: doublejm1 on 08/19/18 at 8:00 pm

She and other pop stars who rose to prominence around that time (e.g., Katy Perry, Kesha) have seemingly fallen off the map in recent years.

One who was around then and still doing well for herself is Taylor Swift, thanks in part to her decision to ditch country and go pop.

Written By: wsmith4 on 08/20/18 at 2:51 pm

I can't believe there was a Lady Gaga era.

Written By: 2001 on 08/20/18 at 3:13 pm

I can't believe the late 2000s were 10 years ago, so it goes without saying that I feel the same about Just Dance.

Written By: duenas8 on 09/13/18 at 4:51 pm

That was also the Glee, Katy Perry, BlackBerry, GTA 4 era. I remember when many people said that Lady Gaga was going to be the new queen of pop, at the end she was just a fast trend

Written By: John Titor on 09/13/18 at 6:02 pm

it seems recent and not recent at the same time

dated and not dated

Written By: bchris02 on 09/14/18 at 6:05 pm

That was also the Glee, Katy Perry, BlackBerry, GTA 4 era. I remember when many people said that Lady Gaga was going to be the new queen of pop, at the end she was just a fast trend

Yeah it was really surprising she had such a short run and that she hasn't had a strong comeback in the years since.  Most people thought she'd be the next Madonna.  I think the fact she could only outdo herself so many times before she became a caricature played into it as well as the fact that she strayed so far from her roots musically in her later albums.  I think if she did another album consisting of catchy dance pop songs and club anthems she could see a comeback.

Written By: wsmith4 on 09/19/18 at 3:23 pm

Her last single was "GLory of the 80's" and it did not do well.

Written By: Dundee on 09/20/18 at 6:28 am

Her last single was "GLory of the 80's" and it did not do well.
Hum?

It's called "Joanne" and it's a folkish, countryish ballad. But yeah it didn't do very well

Written By: #Infinity on 09/20/18 at 8:40 am

The thing about Gaga is that she has always seen herself as far more than just a novelty. Yeah, her costumes were completely outrageous, but at heart, she's actually quite highbrow and sincerely respects music. Her duet album with Tony Bennett, early tracks like "Speechless", Joanne album, and now her lead role in A Star Is Born prove that there's far more to her than just attention-seeking pop hits. Kesha turned out to be similarly sophisticated despite impressions of her during her career peak.

Written By: wsmith4 on 09/20/18 at 8:46 am

Hum?

It's called "Joanne" and it's a folkish, countryish ballad. But yeah it didn't do very well

It came out later.

Written By: John Titor on 09/20/18 at 11:46 am

The thing about Gaga is that she has always seen herself as far more than just a novelty. Yeah, her costumes were completely outrageous, but at heart, she's actually quite highbrow and sincerely respects music. Her duet album with Tony Bennett, early tracks like "Speechless", Joanne album, and now her lead role in A Star Is Born prove that there's far more to her than just attention-seeking pop hits. Kesha turned out to be similarly sophisticated despite impressions of her during her career peak.

RCA made her into that, they were pushing for a Drunk ditz vibe, she was never in real life how
the music made her out to be. Hung out with her several times at some flea markets back in the late 2000s.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/21/18 at 12:33 pm

Hum?

He was probably thinking of "The Edge of Glory," but that was back in 2011 and it was on Born This Way, which I would still consider a part of Gaga's peak.

Written By: John Titor on 09/21/18 at 3:03 pm

it seems longer because of the changes

Written By: mwalker1996 on 09/21/18 at 5:10 pm

it seems recent and not recent at the same time

dated and not dated
True, the fact I've talked to people who were born in that year shows how much time has passed since then. 2008 was the first year where I really started using the internet on a regular basis. I remember watching anime in Japanese back then, really getting into rap music, started to understand text slang. The things that make 2008 dated is obviously Myspace, Blackberry, Limewire, Youtube 5-star rating, recession, the transition to Bush to Obama, swagg, emo. It's crazy that kids today wouldn't have known those things existed back then.  It shows how time really does fly when you get older. I never would've thought I'll be having intellectual conversations with kids who were in diapers at the beginning of this decade.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/21/18 at 5:14 pm

True, the fact I've talked to people who were born in that year shows how much time has passed since then. 2008 was the first year where I really started using the internet on a regular basis. I remember watching anime in Japanese back then, really getting into rap music, started to understand text slang. The things that make 2008 dated is obviously Myspace, Blackberry, Limewire, Youtube 5-star rating, recession, the transition to Bush to Obama, swagg, emo. It's crazy that kids today wouldn't have known those things existed back then.  It shows how time really does fly when you get older. I never would've thought I'll be having intellectual conversations with kids who were in diapers at the beginning of this decade.

How do you feel that some of them will enter middle school next year? I personally find it shocking to see how time flies.

Written By: John Titor on 09/21/18 at 5:45 pm

I liked 2008 but it had this ending feeling, 2009 had this  "epilogue feeling"
I think the fact that there was another year after 2008 that really made it more dated than what it was, esp since
2009 had many neo 2010s elements in it, as well as final 3 months of 2008

2008 felt like the 2000s culture was WAY past it's prime while living in it

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 09/23/18 at 10:29 am

On August 19, 2018, it will be exactly a decade since Lady Gaga released her first album The Fame.  Some of the most popular, well known, and beloved songs of her career came from her debut album, including "Poker Face," "Paparazzi," and "Just Dance."  Though Lady Gaga isn't as prominent as she once was, her impact can still be felt in pop and electronic music today.

Can you believe it's been 10 years?

No I can't believe it.

It all looks like it was made yesterday.

Complete trash, nothing has changed for the past 10+ years.

Everything looks exactly the same as 2006 as far as I can see.

Also I heard a song on the radio from one of the current pop queens where the lines went something like "something rather something rather like when we were 11 in 2010" which made me :o

11 in 2010!?

Heck I was already 20 then!

I remember the days when the current pop singers were the same age or even older than I was!

Now they were kids when I was already well into adulthood :-\\

It's crazy to think how much youngsters notice the differences between now and 10 years ago, whereas to me it all seems pretty much the same.

Written By: Dundee on 09/23/18 at 2:23 pm

No I can't believe it.

Also I heard a song on the radio from one of the current pop queens where the lines went something like "something rather something rather like when we were 11 in 2010" which made me :o

11 in 2010!?

I remember the days when the current pop singers were the same age or even older than I was!

It's crazy to think how much youngsters notice the differences between now and 10 years ago, whereas to me it all seems pretty much the same.
Ok seriously, is your username ironic or something?

Written By: bchris02 on 09/24/18 at 1:50 pm

No I can't believe it.

11 in 2010!?

2002 by Anne-Marie is the song you are thinking of.  You were 12 then.

This was one of the less popular singles off Lady Gaga's first album.  It sounds a lot more '00s than her more popular songs and the video looks incredibly dated.

mVEG793G3N4

Written By: Dundee on 09/24/18 at 2:44 pm

the video looks incredibly dated.

She was wearing pretty casual for once. Her other videos are more avant-garde in looks so they tend to age with more difficulty. Even though TBH the clip to "Poker Face" was pretty odd looking for back then but looks rather tame and quite lame by nowadays' standards ;D

Written By: John Titor on 09/25/18 at 11:27 am

August 2008 the last of the classic 2000s feeling

Written By: Dundee on 09/25/18 at 1:49 pm

August 2008 the last of the classic 2000s feeling
You're right!!!!!! Let's tune in on this mid-2000s version of "Justa Dance" while we can!!!!!!!
3c-c-pxhAEI

Written By: ofkx on 09/27/18 at 9:04 am

I think it's really amazing how much she changed and grew in just a couple of years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Abk1jAONjw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niqrrmev4mA

Written By: wsmith4 on 09/27/18 at 1:44 pm

My favorite Lady Gaga song was never even released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhgjvlbQRK0

Written By: mc98 on 09/27/18 at 1:54 pm

You're right!!!!!! Let's tune in on this mid-2000s version of "Justa Dance" while we can!!!!!!!
3c-c-pxhAEI

This sounds like a 2007 version of Just Dance

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/28/18 at 2:38 am

My favorite Lady Gaga song was never even released:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhgjvlbQRK0

Written By: 80sfan on 09/29/18 at 1:48 am

She went wrong with the Alejandro video. I love the song, but the video came off show-offish, so it probably turned people off. With the Telephone video, people were still accepting of her, but I felt that by Alejandro/Born This Way, people were turned off by her over-the-top-ness.

The last straw for most people was Born This Way in 2011, it came of too gimmicky, like she was trying to win over the gays too hard. And like she was trying too hard, in general.

However, her new song with Bradley Cooper is now number one on US itunes!

Written By: John Titor on 09/29/18 at 11:52 am

She went wrong with the Alejandro video. I love the song, but the video came off show-offish, so it probably turned people off. With the Telephone video, people were still accepting of her, but I felt that by Alejandro/Born This Way, people were turned off by her over-the-top-ness.

The last straw for most people was Born This Way in 2011, it came of too gimmicky, like she was trying to win over the gays too hard. And like she was trying too hard, in general.

However, her new song with Bradley Cooper is now number one on US itunes!

Imagine Dragons
Buy Now on iTunes
Youngblood
Youngblood
5 Seconds of Summer
Buy Now on iTunes
On My Way to You
On My Way to You
Cody Johnson
Buy Now on iTunes
Simple
Simple
Florida Georgia Line
Buy Now on iTunes
Mercy
Mercy
Brett Young
Buy No

Written By: 2001 on 09/30/18 at 5:11 pm

Her latest duet appeared on my Spotify release radar and its actually really good. She has a lot of talent!

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/02/18 at 11:20 am

...and now she is doing well with the (third) remake of "A Star Is Born. I can see a few Oscars going for this film.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/03/18 at 12:51 pm

I agree that the turning point was around the time of Born This Way and I think it was more than a single factor.  First, I think the album was poorly promoted.  It was way over hyped for a long time before the album actually came out.  The album was already on it's third single before it was even available for purchase.  Furthermore, the single choices and order were somewhat poor compared to her previous album.  Judas should have never been a single.  Meanwhile, "Marry the Night", "Venus", and "Highway Unicorn" should have received better treatment than they did.  "Marry the Night" should have been an early single, not the last single to come out when the album was losing relevance.  Second, I think the meat dress was a factor.  In addition to her music, one of the things she was known for was her antics and her shocking costumes.  After the meat dress she hit a point where she couldn't outdo herself anymore.  Anything she did AFTER the meat dress did in fact come across as if she was trying too hard.  Lastly, as you said, don't underestimate the fact that a lot of people saw "Born this Way" as pandering too hard to the LGBT community while alienating straight fans.  Gaga was always beloved by the gay community and was considered a gay icon but I remember in 2012 and 2013, straight guys would not admit to liking her because she was perceived as "too gay."  I personally went back into the closet around that time and with that, I also had to become a closet Lady Gaga fan.

By the time ARTPOP came out, pop music in general was moving more in the direction of teen pop, EDM, and neo-disco and away from electropop.  Add to that the fact that most fans thought ARTPOP was too pretentious.

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/03/18 at 12:57 pm

I agree that the turning point was around the time of Born This Way and I think it was more than a single factor.  First, I think the album was poorly promoted.  It was way over hyped for a long time before the album actually came out.  The album was already on it's third single before it was even available for purchase.  Furthermore, the single choices and order were somewhat poor compared to her previous album.  Judas should have never been a single.  Meanwhile, "Marry the Night", "Venus", and "Highway Unicorn" should have received better treatment than they did.  "Marry the Night" should have been an early single, not the last single to come out when the album was losing relevance.  Second, I think the meat dress was a factor.  In addition to her music, one of the things she was known for was her antics and her shocking costumes.  After the meat dress she hit a point where she couldn't outdo herself anymore.  Anything she did AFTER the meat dress did in fact come across as if she was trying too hard.  Lastly, as you said, don't underestimate the fact that a lot of people saw "Born this Way" as pandering too hard to the LGBT community while alienating straight fans.  Gaga was always beloved by the gay community and was considered a gay icon but I remember in 2012 and 2013, straight guys would not admit to liking her because she was perceived as "too gay."  I personally went back into the closet around that time and with that, I also had to become a closet Lady Gaga fan.

By the time ARTPOP came out, pop music in general was moving more in the direction of teen pop, EDM, and neo-disco and away from electropop.  Add to that the fact that most fans thought ARTPOP was too pretentious.

i think the video for "The Edge of Glory" was a

Written By: Dundee on 10/04/18 at 7:28 am

i think the video for "The Edge of Glory" was a

I fully agree with you but I'd like to point out that

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/04/18 at 7:33 am

I fully agree with you but I'd like to point out that

Might wanna finish your thought there buddy  ;D ;D :D

Written By: Dundee on 10/04/18 at 7:39 am

Might wanna finish your thought there buddy  ;D ;D :D
But I finished ??? Why being so delusional?

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/04/18 at 8:14 am

But I finished ??? Why being so delusional?

Oh, i See it now

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 10/13/18 at 2:44 pm

2002 by Anne-Marie is the song you are thinking of.  You were 12 then.

This was one of the less popular singles off Lady Gaga's first album.  It sounds a lot more '00s than her more popular songs and the video looks incredibly dated.

mVEG793G3N4

Okay I misheard then!

But it won't be long until I hear something like that and feel old from it!

Thanks for picking that up for me, btw.

It's crazy how international current pop culture has become in the past 20 years!

That song was playing on a radio in one of the cafeterias that I clean.

But on Lady GaGa, I remember when she was something "new" and "silly".

Even my mom commented that she wasn't sure whether she was a man or a woman and my mom isn't even up on pop culture!

I remember being surprised she'd even heard of her :D

Written By: Lizardmatum on 10/13/18 at 5:00 pm

Cannot believe it has been a decade. She felt so radical and fresh and new at the time she emerged in pop culture. But like others have said, her songs and videos are dated now which I find terribly sad.

Check for new replies or respond here...