inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Honestly, its hard to believe people were born in and after the 2000s

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/01/18 at 11:19 pm

I was just watching Friday After Next and the acting is so wacky, almost unreal and timeless. The 2000s are starting to come off as the fictional decade that was just one big gigantic movie, music video.

I can't comprehend how the 2000s even happened anymore.

Subject: Re: Honestly, its hard to believe people were born in and after the 2000s

Written By: mwalker1996 on 09/02/18 at 1:47 pm

Yeah. the fact we lived through that decade makes it special to us because kids today view 2000s tech as ancient. I suprisely had a very intelligent conversation with a 2009 born. He knows so much about wrestling to where most adults would be shocked.  I met some really intelligent 2000s borns lately and it's crazy that there were in diapers when we where in school.

Subject: Re: Honestly, its hard to believe people were born in and after the 2000s

Written By: Dundee on 09/02/18 at 2:31 pm

Crazy huh :P? Putting on some vhs on and seeing old tech like Nokia brickphones and hearing kitch like "Dragostea Din Tei" and "Yeah!" and other relics like baggy clothing is such a wild feeling each time ;D

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/02/18 at 4:45 pm

I was just watching Friday After Next and the acting is so wacky, almost unreal and timeless. The 2000s are starting to come off as the fictional decade that was just one big gigantic movie, music video.

Whats so hard to believe?

Written By: 2001 on 09/02/18 at 5:20 pm

Tbh I can't either. I look at old pictures and think "Did we really dress like that? Was I even alive then?" ;D

Written By: John Titor on 09/02/18 at 6:13 pm

The 2000s were like another world, they really were lol  2010s and 2000s before 2008 are night and day

Friday after next screams 2002

Written By: John Titor on 09/02/18 at 6:14 pm

Yeah. the fact we lived through that decade makes it special to us because kids today view 2000s tech as ancient. I suprisely had a very intelligent conversation with a 2009 born. He knows so much about wrestling to where most adults would be shocked.  I met some really intelligent 2000s borns lately and it's crazy that there were in diapers when we where in school.

lets all be lucky we got to witness prime 2000s

Written By: John Titor on 09/02/18 at 6:18 pm

Whats so hard to believe?

Movies like American Pie 2 and Friday After Next really scream the cheese of the early 2000s, it really
looks like it could have been 30 years ago.

Written By: piecesof93 on 09/02/18 at 6:53 pm

Movies like American Pie 2 and Friday After Next really scream the cheese of the early 2000s, it really
looks like it could have been 30 years ago.

It's cheese but I love it and miss it.

Written By: John Titor on 09/02/18 at 8:11 pm

It's cheese but I love it and miss it.

me 2, lets all have a dream about 2002 tonight

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/02/18 at 9:05 pm

me 2, lets all have a dream about 2002 tonight

Blade Trinity and Soul Plane are other personal examples of how fictional the 2000s were. I can remember a regular day in 04 and now it feels like film and every day real life crossed over with each other.

Its amazing, honestly.

Written By: piecesof93 on 09/02/18 at 9:54 pm

Blade Trinity and Soul Plane are other personal examples of how fictional the 2000s were. I can remember a regular day in 04 and now it feels like film and every day real life crossed over with each other.

Its amazing, honestly.

I think it feels that way because the early 2000s were so immersed in celebrity culture. I mean we still are today but it feels different. IMO back then, celeb culture still felt like "classic" celebrity culture, all grandiose and bigger than life. You had glam rap, mtv cribs, Pimp My Ride, grand performances at the VMA, BET and AMA awards, etc. Pop culture just felt bigger than life and fictional like you said.

iduAKdvJlcE

Written By: John Titor on 09/02/18 at 9:56 pm

Its amazing, honestly.

I get what you are saying, I have said this on the board before, The early 2000s felt DREAM LIKE
and this is what I mean lol Every day felt like a movie or very situational movie like, like just exisiting
in the 2000s felt like u were trapped in a movie or something lol

Like every day was like American Pie 2, or Next Friday or Malcolm in the Middle

Written By: John Titor on 09/02/18 at 9:57 pm

I think it feels that way because the early 2000s were so immersed in celebrity culture. I mean we still are today but it feels different. IMO back then, celeb culture still felt like "classic" celebrity culture, all grandiose and bigger than life. You had glam rap, mtv cribs, Pimp My Ride, grand performances at the VMA, BET and AMA awards, etc. Pop culture just felt bigger than life and fictional like you said.

iduAKdvJlcE

Lets put it this way, culture back then was more immersed, I remember the day after the 2001 VMAS and my dumb ass Science teacher was like
KIDS did you see what Britney had on her shoulder the snake!  Thats how intune popular culture was then

Pop Culture WAS life

Written By: mwalker1996 on 09/02/18 at 11:16 pm

We are starting to view the 2000s simlar to how people viewed the 90's back in 2010. The 2000s (at least the latter half of it) still feels recent because of high speed Internet, social media, Youtube and 7th gen gamming. The early 00s feels pretty retro at this point,  2003 was 15 years ago so it's safe to say that the early 00s is in the same vain as the 90's when it comes to being throwback.

Written By: JD120300 on 09/03/18 at 1:41 am

I was born in 2000 ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/03/18 at 7:12 am

I was born in 2000 ;D ;D ;D

Same :P

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/03/18 at 8:49 am

This sound so accurate all of a sudden. Haha Your absolutely correct tho. It was extremely cool to have a celebrity idol then.
I get what you are saying, I have said this on the board before, The early 2000s felt DREAM LIKE
and this is what I mean lol Every day felt like a movie or very situational movie like, like just exisiting
in the 2000s felt like u were trapped in a movie or something lol

Like every day was like American Pie 2, or Next Friday or Malcolm in the Middle

You definition see it, which I appreciate. Its not even hard to unnoticed with how scripted everyday life felt then. Haha
We are starting to view the 2000s simlar to how people viewed the 90's back in 2010. The 2000s (at least the latter half of it) still feels recent because of high speed Internet, social media, Youtube and 7th gen gamming. The early 00s feels pretty retro at this point,  2003 was 15 years ago so it's safe to say that the early 00s is in the same vain as the 90's when it comes to being throwback.

This sound believable. I mean, its doubtful teens today look at the 2000s as "modern." I hope the 2000s make it difficult in some way for most to see it as completely disconnected tho. In some categories, the decade should get a pass.

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 09/10/18 at 2:24 pm

Honestly, its hard to believe people were born in and after the 2000s

It is certainly very, very, strange.

To me 2000 something is still the current era. Like If I see someone with the username "something rather 2002" for a second I assume they are 5 or 6, then I realise they are 16! :o

I remember filling out website forms for proof of age and 1990 being the latest year you could go to!

I find it so odd that someone born in 2000 is now an adult, or even a teenager for that matter.

I remember when if you were born in the late 80s then you were the up and coming "millennial" generation, who was the greatest hope, who could do no wrong, who would harness the power of technology for the future.

We were the "teenagers that adults don't understand" now there is another generation of "teenagers that adults don't understand"!

And so the cycle continues!

It's so strange to see your generation growing up, especially from such a modern era as the 2000s, where not a lot has changed since.

Written By: John Titor on 09/10/18 at 2:32 pm

To me 2000 something is still the current era. Like If I see someone with the username "something rather 2002" for a second I assume they are 5 or 6, then I realise they are 16! :o

I remember filling out website forms for proof of age and 1990 being the latest year you could go to!

I find it so odd that someone born in 2000 is now an adult, or even a teenager for that matter.

I remember when if you were born in the late 80s then you were the up and coming "millennial" generation, who was the greatest hope, who could do no wrong, who would harness the power of technology for the future.

We were the "teenagers that adults don't understand" now there is another generation of "teenagers that adults don't understand"!

It's so strange to see your generation growing up, especially from such a modern era as the 2000s, where not a lot has changed since.

there is someone on this board with 2002 in their username and they are like 28 or something

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/10/18 at 3:10 pm

Nostalgia seems to come in cycles. The 80s started to become nostalgic in pop culture in the late 90’s with movies like The Wedding Singer. Similarly, 00’s nostalgia is starting to get big now in the late 10’s.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/10/18 at 3:22 pm

Nostalgia seems to come in cycles. The 80s started to become nostalgic in pop culture in the late 90’s with movies like The Wedding Singer. Similarly, 00’s nostalgia is starting to get big now in the late 10’s.

Romy and Michele's High School Reunion came out in 1997.

I would say that 80's nostalgia began there.

Written By: Dundee on 09/10/18 at 4:36 pm

This post almost reads like an oxymoron coming from someone called "2000s Nostalgiaist". Unless your username is ironic or something..?

Written By: DellFan99 on 09/10/18 at 9:41 pm

'00s nostalgia is not as big as 90s nostalgia from the late 2000s/early 2010s though. Although it's bigger than when I started to become nostalgic for my childhood in 2014.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/10/18 at 9:42 pm

'00s nostalgia is not as big as 90s nostalgia from the late 2000s/early 2010s though. Although it's bigger than when I started to become nostalgic for my childhood in 2014.

I just hope that we won't be as bad as the 90's kids when it comes to this.

Written By: exodus08 on 09/10/18 at 11:19 pm

Born after the 00s?

Written By: duenas8 on 09/11/18 at 1:07 am

iduAKdvJlcE

That "classic" celebrity culture was everywhere in the 2000's. From magazines, reality shows, movies, you could hear people talking about Paris Hilton, Britney Spears etc. Since the rise of social media, there was a shift on how people becomes famous. Getting likes, hearts, followers or other viral button in these fake virtual systems

Written By: mwalker1996 on 09/11/18 at 10:52 am

This sound so accurate all of a sudden. Haha Your absolutely correct tho. It was extremely cool to have a celebrity idol then.
You definition see it, which I appreciate. Its not even hard to unnoticed with how scripted everyday life felt then. Haha
This sound believable. I mean, its doubtful teens today look at the 2000s as "modern." I hope the 2000s make it difficult in some way for most to see it as completely disconnected tho. In some categories, the decade should get a pass.
Yeah the 2000s feels different for sure. I guess the technology gap between the 10s and 00s feels bigger than the one of the 90s and 00s. In the 00s while the internet was used most people used it casually compared to today, cell phones were very basic but commonly used, phonebooks was still common and television was still the primary source of entertainment.

Check for new replies or respond here...