inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Most Unpredictable year of the 2000s

Written By: John Titor on 09/07/18 at 12:16 pm

What year is most Unpredictable?
Year has to be all over the place with no clear/set direction &
made you go wow.

Subject: Re: Most Unpredictable year of the 2000s

Written By: wsmith4 on 09/07/18 at 1:09 pm

Time travelers, such as myself, are not often surprised. 

Written By: Howard on 09/07/18 at 1:14 pm

I'm going to say 2001.

Written By: wsmith4 on 09/07/18 at 1:15 pm

I'm going to say 2001.

That was my initial thought, but I'd been there a few times.

Written By: John Titor on 09/07/18 at 1:50 pm

I'm going to say 2001.

that was my second choice due to 9/11 and also due to music taking a complete 180 by that fall.

My choice is 2002 for many reasons, and not because it is my favorite year.

- For Wrestling, the WWF changed to the WWE,  Hulk Hogan & HBK came back, The draft happened, Eric Bishoff became GM, The Rock got booed.
- For video games Sonic The Hedgehog made his debut on Nintendo systems it was really weird.
- The Garage Rock explosion happened, and it looked like we were going to have a little Grunge era happen, it did not last more than a year.
- Ames closed down that Fall which as weird because it was a staple
- Service Merchandise closed that year but at that point it was becoming long in the tooth
- Female Alt Rock movement, we had a little movement with Vanessa Carlton & Michele Branch and everyone thought this was going to be the next big movement
- All the teen pop fans now like pop punk, this was really evident with avril lavigne & Good Charlotte
- The Osbornes exploding back into popularity again with their show
- The Patriots winning the super bowl for America
- Fox Kids last year ever on the air
- Pokemon was completely dead at this time
- Tommy came back to Power Rangers in Wild Force with other Og red ranger, which was weird as hell at the time
- PUNKD becomes a phenomenon of prank shows
- Justin Timberlake goes solo, and solidifys himself with Cry me a River that fall
- Attack of the clones becomes panned
-  The random Party phone line revival that kept on going until April of that year
- Last year of goth
- Eminems really last big year with The Eminem Show and 8 mile
- Creed's random popularity
-  The censorship that was really apparent with tv shows
- Christina Aguilera's Dirty Era
- Minority Report becoming a hit

For personal reasons 2002 feels divided, this was also the year I went to HS in the second half and I saw people I had not seen since the 90's
due to the districts being separate, it was a weird feeling. The early part seemed more confused, but by the time we got to the summer it seemed
to figure things out.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/07/18 at 1:52 pm

that was my second choice due to 9/11 and also due to music taking a complete 180 by that fall.

- For Wrestling, the WWF changed to the WWE,  Hulk Hogan & HBK came back, The draft happened, Eric Bishoff became GM, The Rock got booed.
- For video games Sonic The Hedgehog made his debut on Nintendo systems it was really weird.
- The Garage Rock explosion happened, and it looked like we were going to have a little Grunge era happen, it did not last more than a year.
- Service Merchandise closed that year but at that point it was becoming long in the tooth
- Female Alt Rock movement, we had a little movement with Vanessa Carlton & Michele Branch and everyone thought this was going to be the next big movement
- All the teen pop fans now like pop punk, this was really evident with avril lavigne & Good Charlotte
- Tommy came back to Power Rangers in Wild Force with other Og red ranger, which was weird as hell at the time
- Justin Timberlake goes solo, and solidifys himself with Cry me a River that fall
-  The random Party phone line revival that kept on going until April of that year
- Last year of goth

For personal reasons 2002 feels divided, this was also the year I went to HS in the second half and I saw people I had not seen since the 90's
due to the districts being separate, it was a weird feeling. The early part seemed more confused, but by the time we got to the summer it seemed
to figure things out.

I always thought that the last year for goth was 1998 because of the controversy it got after the Columbine shooting in April of 1999.

Written By: John Titor on 09/07/18 at 1:52 pm

I always thought that the last year for goth was 1998 because of the controversy it got after the Columbine shooting in April of 1999.

there were still a few people wearing goth pants in 2002, It was very very small tho
the movement was almost dead at this point

Written By: snps94 on 09/08/18 at 1:58 pm

I’ll go with 2001, if only because no one at the start of the year could have guessed where we ended up being at the end. The course of every other year mostly could be anticipated to some degree at least. Even 2008 was clearly going to be a bad year economically from the start. But 9/11 was just a complete black swan event that abruptly changed the direction of things to come without notice.

Written By: Howard on 09/08/18 at 2:23 pm

- Last year of goth

to figure things out.

You would never have known that The Twin Towers would come crashing down in 2001.

Written By: John Titor on 09/08/18 at 3:24 pm

You would never have known that The Twin Towers would come crashing down in 2001.

Complete 180 of a year 2001 , I still stick by 2002 tho it seemed the years culture was
very confused on what it wanted to be.

Written By: Dundee on 09/08/18 at 3:52 pm

Hard to not go with 2001 on this particular question

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/10/18 at 10:04 am

I'm voting 2004. The year was unnoticeably exciting and I expected that to last. 02 felt like, it was just a finale. 2001 felt like the beginning.

Written By: John Titor on 09/11/18 at 3:35 pm

I'm voting 2004. The year was unnoticeably exciting and I expected that to last. 02 felt like, it was just a finale. 2001 felt like the beginning.

how did 2002 feel like a finale

Written By: 2001 on 09/11/18 at 3:46 pm

2004 was changeful but it was rather predictable, with the scheduled ending of TV shows being the most changeful thing about the year. Lost Season 1 was very revolutionary though. It's like the Ocarina of Time of television ;D

Written By: wsmith4 on 09/13/18 at 12:31 pm

Can we change the name of this thread? I would like it to read: "Most UNpredictable year of the 2000's"  Seems we are talking about uncertainties.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 09/16/18 at 1:59 am

2009, because of MJ death, wwe changing the ppv names from the Ruthless Aggerison era, getting my frist Android phone, seeing the rise of Facebook and social media in general, seeing the rise of Drake (a bi-racial candian rapper who was on degrassi), CN going full-blown reality, Nickoldeon changing its logo, Chris Brown hitting Rihanna, and the psp go

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/16/18 at 3:05 am

All the years had unpredictability, as who knows what will happen tomorrow!

Written By: Howard on 09/16/18 at 2:18 pm

2009, because of MJ death, wwe changing the ppv names from the Ruthless Aggerison era, getting my frist Android phone, seeing the rise of Facebook and social media in general, seeing the rise of Drake (a bi-racial candian rapper who was on degrassi), CN going full-blown reality, Nickoldeon changing its logo, Chris Brown hitting Rihanna, and the psp go

No one knew that Michael was going to pass away.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/17/18 at 4:44 pm

I voted 2008. There was no telling whether it was going to be Obama, Hillary, or John McCain to get elected president, and the economy showed signs of uncertainty.

Written By: Howard on 09/18/18 at 5:22 am

I will also say 2009, this was the year that Michael Jackson was about to make his final concert in July Of 2009 till he was killed the month before.

Written By: wsmith4 on 09/18/18 at 3:03 pm

There was nothing notable let alone SUSTAINABLE about 2008.  Does anyone remember ANYTHING from that year, for the love of PETE?  hONESTLY, i CAN'T THINK of a single thing that happened that year other than my first time travel.

Written By: John Titor on 09/18/18 at 4:22 pm

There was nothing notable let alone SUSTAINABLE about 2008.  Does anyone remember ANYTHING from that year, for the love of PETE?  hONESTLY, i CAN'T THINK of a single thing that happened that year other than my first time travel.

The Fame Dropped by Lady Gaga
Katy Perry debuted
Kb Toys announced it was leaving
The Original TRL ended
The Original Toonami ended
Android debuted
HD became the norm
OBAMA became pres

Written By: SmartBo1 on 09/18/18 at 4:30 pm

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/844/770/e9d.jpg

Written By: wsmith4 on 09/19/18 at 10:46 am

The Fame Dropped by Lady Gaga
Katy Perry debuted
Kb Toys announced it was leaving
The Original TRL ended
The Original Toonami ended
Android debuted
HD became the norm
OBAMA became pres

The Fame?  2009.
Katy Perry debuted many years prior
KB Toys was long defunct
TRL is back on!
What the hell is Soonami?
Android beta
HD?  Home Depot?
OBAMA was President for 8 years

Written By: John Titor on 09/19/18 at 12:45 pm

The Fame?  2009.
KB Toys was long defunct
TRL is back on!
Android beta
HD?  Home Depot?
OBAMA was Pr

The Fame came out in 2008, u on drugs lol
Katy Perry debuted as an artist to the majority of the world in 2008
At the time we thought TRL would never come back
High Definition TV
Yes and 2008 was the first year it was confirmed he would be our pres

Written By: wsmith4 on 09/19/18 at 12:56 pm

The Fame?  2009.
KB Toys was long defunct
TRL is back on!
Android beta
HD?  Home Depot?
OBAMA was Pr

The Fame came out in 2008, u on drugs lol
Katy Perry debuted as an artist to the majority of the world in 2008
At the time we thought TRL would never come back
High Definition TV
Yes and 2008 was the first year it was confirmed he would be our pres

These dates don't jive.

Check for new replies or respond here...