inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Kids during the Great Recession

Written By: DellFan99 on 09/07/18 at 1:49 pm

So recently, it's now been ten years since the financial crisis has occurred (as of this post). As a lot of people at the time were either laid off or pretty much worried about the economy in its state at the time, I was really happy. I was 8 years old while I turned 9 in December of 2008, so mainly I never really focused on what was going on within the economy at the time. I also never really had any indicators about it since neither of my parents were laid off from their jobs. Hell, they bought me a laptop (since I really wanted something that could run Windows after their first computer broke), which was pretty cool. What I'm trying to say is that I'm curious about anyone born between 1992-2005 about their experiences during the recession. It could be about anything they could remember from late 2008 to 2011.

Subject: Re: Kids during the Great Recession

Written By: Dundee on 09/08/18 at 3:58 pm

It was a major shock to me since I already knew by then about what an economic depression is. To watch the news about it and seeing the commentators saying it was as bad as the 1929 crash was kind of surreal.

Written By: 2001 on 09/08/18 at 5:13 pm

I was born in 1993. I lost my job In April 2009 due to the recession. It didn't help that I had severe depression/suicidal thoughts going on at the time too, I really felt I hit rock bottom. Fortunately I didn't have much trouble landing a job in September 2010 after I graduated high school.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 09/08/18 at 6:01 pm

I was born in 1993. I lost my job In April 2009 due to the recession. It didn't help that I had severe depression/suicidal thoughts going on at the time too, I really felt I hit rock bottom. Fortunately I didn't have much trouble landing a job in September 2010 after I graduated high school.
Dang man, never'd would've thought you had suicidal thoughts.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 09/10/18 at 9:42 am

I was 12 at this point and man 2008 was one eventful year. I remember hearing people constantly talk about the economy and unemployment during this time. People were talking about the recssion throughout Obama's frist term, and now the tables have turn with unemployment as low as 2 percent.

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 09/10/18 at 1:10 pm

So recently, it's now been ten years since the financial crisis has occurred (as of this post). As a lot of people at the time were either laid off or pretty much worried about the economy in its state at the time, I was really happy. I was 8 years old while I turned 9 in December of 2008, so mainly I never really focused on what was going on within the economy at the time. I also never really had any indicators about it since neither of my parents were laid off from their jobs. Hell, they bought me a laptop (since I really wanted something that could run Windows after their first computer broke), which was pretty cool. What I'm trying to say is that I'm curious about anyone born between 1992-2005 about their experiences during the recession. It could be about anything they could remember from late 2008 to 2011.

I was born in 1989 so I guess you're not interested in my experience? Why is your range 1992-2005?

Written By: DellFan99 on 09/10/18 at 9:37 pm

I was born in 1989 so I guess you're not interested in my experience? Why is your range 1992-2005?

I wanted to just have people's thoughts of the Recession when they were mainly kids, since 1989 borns were already adults by the time the Recession happened. However, if you do want to put in your experience, then that's really fine.

Written By: piecesof93 on 09/11/18 at 12:26 am

Because we're special.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 09/11/18 at 10:55 am

I wanted to just have people's thoughts of the Recession when they were mainly kids, since 1989 borns were already adults by the time the Recession happened. However, if you do want to put in your experience, then that's really fine.
Well they were in college and still technically teens back in 08 so there opinion's would be interesting to hear. I mean, after all, they were probably having the time of there life in college. I know Machine head would've been old enough to drink at this point.

Written By: wsmith4 on 09/13/18 at 3:23 pm

2008, man.  What a ride.
Left a good job in the city, working for the man every night and day.  And I never lost one minute of sleep.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/20/18 at 6:23 am

I was 9 years old in 2008. The Great Recession didn't impact me directly, however I was old enough to understand the impacts it was having on the world around me. Petrol (gas) prices skyrocketed in Late 2008/Early 2009. I can remember seeing the average price for Unleaded petrol rise to $1.75/L, which is pretty expensive.

Written By: karen on 09/20/18 at 3:31 pm

I was 9 years old in 2008. The Great Recession didn't impact me directly, however I was old enough to understand the impacts it was having on the world around me. Petrol (gas) prices skyrocketed in Late 2008/Early 2009. I can remember seeing the average price for Unleaded petrol rise to $1.75/L, which is pretty expensive.

There used to be a thread on here where people posted the petrol (gas) price where they lived as it was rising so rapidly at the time.

Written By: 2001 on 09/20/18 at 6:37 pm

There used to be a thread on here where people posted the petrol (gas) price where they lived as it was rising so rapidly at the time.

The price of petrol actually crashed at the time. I remember the exact moment it happened, because I everyone here was panicking that Canada would plunge into depression/recession too despite our financial sector being stable.

I do remember the price being high in 2003-2008 though as a result of the Iraq War, and the price rebounded by 2011 because Stephen Harper (ex-PM of Canada) won re-election that year on a "strong economy" (which as we later found out when the price of oil crashed again in 2014, that our 'good economy' was based entirely on the oil sector and the economy was actually in shambles) :P

Written By: DellFan99 on 09/20/18 at 7:38 pm

I never really paid attention to gas prices when I was little. Simply because I thought it wasn't a big deal back then (I never really paid attention to politics thankfully), I just thought my parents could just afford it and that's it. When I started to become nostalgic for the 2000s by 2014, I just noticed that people made it such a big deal because of how gas prices were so inexpensive by the 90s. Up to this day, I never really thought it was the worst thing ever. As long as we just had gas, I thought everything in my parents' car was okay. Especially since it wasn't involved with the 1970s oil crisis.

Check for new replies or respond here...