inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who else remembers television in the 2000s?

Written By: TheKingofDaLand on 09/20/18 at 6:05 pm

Back when we had Jojo's Circus, Higglytown Heroes, Imagination Movers, Billy & Mandy, good SpongeBob, and so many more?
I miss those blissful days and I hate being old  :\'(

Subject: Re: Who else remembers television in the 2000s?

Written By: John Titor on 09/20/18 at 7:10 pm

Back when we had Jojo's Circus, Higglytown Heroes, Imagination Movers, Billy & Mandy, good SpongeBob, and so many more?

Started the 2000s in my pre teens and ended in my early adult so of course I remember tv from the 2000s lol

Written By: 2001 on 09/20/18 at 7:17 pm

Yeah I used to watch a lot of TV in the 2000s because I was still in school and had a lot of free time.

Written By: DellFan99 on 09/20/18 at 7:40 pm

I stopped watching Playhouse Disney when the Imagination Movers premiered. But Jojo's Circus, Higglytown Heroes, Little Einsteins, The Koala Brothers, Rolie Polie Olie, and Bear in the Big Blue House were fun to watch. Also, television was the sh*t back then. So much so that I have several complete series box sets of shows that I watched back in the 2000s.

Written By: SmartBo1 on 09/20/18 at 9:05 pm

I feel so weird being nostalgic for 2000's television. It seems like it was only yesterday when everyone on the internet was screaming about "everything made after 1999 sucking."

Written By: piecesof93 on 09/20/18 at 10:24 pm

Honestly, you can't be "old" if those are the shows that come to mind when you think of the 2000s lol. So don't feel bad.

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/21/18 at 7:16 am

I'm still part of that "everything made after 1999 sucking crowd" LOL. Ironically, as I run a "classic TV" collection, I still see a lot of 2000s TV as "after my time", even though I was young then. I see the '80s and '90s as my peak "era" of good times, great oldies TV, before the Reality TV trend, consistent "breaking news", digital cable subchannels, HD, and single-camera sitcoms became popular.

Of course, now that it's been nearly two decades since 2000, I may start to look at it at a different light, such as "it feels so new yet so old at the same time", or "look how ridiculous we were back then!"

Written By: Dundee on 09/21/18 at 10:02 am

People thinking their time stops at like 16 ::)

Written By: bchris02 on 09/21/18 at 12:30 pm

If this is your childhood, you are far from "old."  You're college aged at most.

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/22/18 at 8:37 am

I remember a large enough portion of it, prime to peak finale Cartoon Network, Disney Channel, BET, MTV2 and classic Animal Planet.

The 2000s will always have the most accurate definitions of these channels.

Written By: 2001 on 09/22/18 at 11:00 am

If this is your childhood, you are far from "old."  You're college aged at most.

It's telling that even though I'm a 2000s kid, I'm only young enough to have heard of the last two ;D

Written By: John Titor on 09/22/18 at 11:42 am

I remember a large enough portion of it, prime to peak finale Cartoon Network, Disney Channel, BET, MTV2 and classic Animal Planet.

The 2000s will always have the most accurate definitions of these channels.

Dear lord MTV 2 in  2001/2002 was phewwwwwwwwwww

it was always MTV & MTV 2 I had on in the morning before going to school, later it turned to just MTV & Vh1 as MTV 2
stopped being a 24/7 music channel.

Just seeing that SN SPanking new logo in the morning made it feel so legit

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTv2Bv3rlqSD7VitVq5yTP38jvMe3Kh7-BOQmhTjwBnyE9NypWh

Written By: mwalker1996 on 09/24/18 at 6:56 pm

It's telling that even though I'm a 2000s kid, I'm only young enough to have heard of the last two ;D
Spongebob and Billy and Mandy are quintessential 2000s cartoons.

Written By: Howard on 09/25/18 at 2:04 pm

Who remembers the sitcoms from the 2000's?

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/25/18 at 3:01 pm

Who remembers the sitcoms from the 2000's?

I sure do :D.

Everybody Loves Raymond, King of Queens, Will & Grace, Everybody Hates Chris, Two & a Half Men, etc. etc. Its hard to choose.

Written By: mqg96 on 09/26/18 at 9:25 am

No one's bragging about remembering television in the 2000's, especially with the shows you listed. JoJo's Circus, Higglytown Heroes, and Imagination Movers!?  ;D That tells me how young you are. Sorry OP but that's not going to cut it. No hate though. I think you could consider yourself as "old" on this forum if you can remember primetime television in the 90's or earlier. (NOT the kid shows)

Written By: mwalker1996 on 09/26/18 at 12:58 pm

Everybody Loves Raymond, King of Queens, Will & Grace, Everybody Hates Chris, Two & a Half Men, etc. etc. Its hard to choose.
Same here. Upn and WB had a lot of good sitcoms.

Written By: Howard on 09/26/18 at 2:24 pm

What about Big Bang Theory?

Written By: nally on 09/26/18 at 2:26 pm

I remember primetime gameshows in the early 2000s... specifically Who Wants To Be A Millionaire (which debuted in August 1999, but its popularity carried into the early 00s) and Weakest Link.

Written By: John Titor on 09/26/18 at 2:31 pm

I remember primetime gameshows in the early 2000s... specifically Who Wants To Be A Millionaire (which debuted in August 1999, but its popularity carried into the early 00s) and Weakest Link.

GREED lol

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/26/18 at 2:31 pm

Both programs originated in the UK, and were very popular too.

Written By: nally on 09/26/18 at 2:32 pm

GREED lol

That was on Fox network during the 1999-2000 season, but I was actually unaware of it until early 2002, when GSN showed it in reruns. I don't think anyone ever won the top prize on it, though.

Written By: nally on 09/26/18 at 2:33 pm

Both programs originated in the UK, and were very popular too.

I remember that. O0 I even saw some gaffes from those versions on various blooper-reel specials.

Written By: John Titor on 09/26/18 at 3:26 pm

That was on Fox network during the 1999-2000 season, but I was actually unaware of it until early 2002, when GSN showed it in reruns. I don't think anyone ever won the top prize on it, though.

could have sworn it was on in 2001, could have been re runs

Written By: nally on 09/26/18 at 7:06 pm

could have sworn it was on in 2001, could have been re runs

It likely was.

According to Wiki, it only lasted one season (which I was right about, in my above post), and...as I thought, no one ever won the top prize. (However, one contestant did get to the $2M question, only to not get it right, and hence leave with nada.)

Written By: whistledog on 09/26/18 at 11:13 pm

If those are shows you watched, you are not old ::)

Written By: mwalker1996 on 09/27/18 at 8:15 am

No one's bragging about remembering television in the 2000's, especially with the shows you listed. JoJo's Circus, Higglytown Heroes, and Imagination Movers!?  ;D That tells me how young you are. Sorry OP but that's not going to cut it. No hate though. I think you could consider yourself as "old" on this forum if you can remember primetime television in the 90's or earlier. (NOT the kid shows)
He must be born in the mid 00s if those are the shows that he remembers from the 2000s.

Written By: mqg96 on 09/29/18 at 12:14 pm

He must be born in the mid 00s if those are the shows that he remembers from the 2000s.

It doesn't really matter, but all those shows he listed were preschool shows of the core 2000's, and we wouldn't be watching those by then. In fact, you're not considering as "old" period for any type of show you watched during the 2000's, that's still only a decade ago. If we're talking about primetime TV in the 90's or even 80's then yeah you could be considered as old.

Written By: piecesof93 on 09/29/18 at 2:17 pm

It doesn't really matter, but all those shows he listed were preschool shows of the core 2000's, and we wouldn't be watching those by then. In fact, you're not considering as "old" period for any type of show you watched during the 2000's, that's still only a decade ago. If we're talking about primetime TV in the 90's or even 80's then yeah you could be considered as old.

This is what I was talking about in my othrt thread. Although, I'm sure OP is speaking tongue in cheek.

Written By: nally on 09/29/18 at 2:20 pm

It doesn't really matter, but all those shows he listed were preschool shows of the core 2000's, and we wouldn't be watching those by then.

And I for one would never have been the least bit interested in them, since I was already grown up by then. When I was preschool aged, that was in the mid-80s, and I would typically watch Sesame Street.

In fact, you're not considering as "old" period for any type of show you watched during the 2000's, that's still only a decade ago. If we're talking about primetime TV in the 90's or even 80's then yeah you could be considered as old.

And again that depends on one's own point of view.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/30/18 at 2:51 pm

TV was okay until about 2008. Then went down. Then went back up, IMO in 2011, then in 2015 went down again.

Written By: John Titor on 09/30/18 at 3:44 pm

TV was okay until about 2008. Then went down. Then went back up, IMO in 2011, then in 2015 went down again.

in 2009 it was DEAD correct lol

went up a bit in summer 2010/2011

Written By: 2001 on 09/30/18 at 5:06 pm

in 2009 it was DEAD correct lol

went up a bit in summer 2010/2011

Ermm 2009 had Mad Men, Breaking Bad and 30 Rock. Delete this post.

Written By: SmartBo1 on 09/30/18 at 5:43 pm

Ermm 2009 had Mad Men, Breaking Bad and 30 Rock. Delete this post.

Don't forget Community, The Office, and Parks and Recreation

Written By: muppethammer26 on 09/30/18 at 8:44 pm

The 2000s were the last decade of the 4:3 SD shows era. Sometime in the late 2000s, TV shows started to move to 16:9 HD, but it didn’t became standard until the early 2010s.

Written By: Howard on 10/01/18 at 5:16 am

Don't forget Community, The Office, and Parks and Recreation

and The Big Bang Theory.

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/01/18 at 12:32 pm

What I don't understand about this thread is why some people feel that their opinions matter more than others?

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/09/18 at 6:07 pm

I miss when repeats of The Tracey Ullman Show with the Simpsons shorts were on Comedy Central.  :\'(

Written By: Zelek3 on 10/09/18 at 6:45 pm

Spongebob and Billy and Mandy are quintessential 2000s cartoons.

Billy and mandy had some genius moments here and there but I feel like they relied on gore/booger/fart jokes wayyyy too much. Also the characters were mainly cold and soulless and had no good vibes or positive feelings most of the time.

And people say Millennial kid culture was all sunshine and rainbows and Barney, haha.

Written By: piecesof93 on 10/09/18 at 6:57 pm

Also the characters were mainly cold and soulless and had no good vibes or positive feelings most of the time.

That's what made the show special and gave it an edge.

Written By: SpyroKev on 10/09/18 at 8:27 pm

Billy and mandy had some genius moments here and there but I feel like they relied on gore/booger/fart jokes wayyyy too much. Also the characters were mainly cold and soulless and had no good vibes or positive feelings most of the time.

And people say Millennial kid culture was all sunshine and rainbows and Barney, haha.

Billy and Mandy isn't for everyone. For me, the show honestly aged bad, at least after season 2. Season 1 and 2 are the prime of the show.

The jokes now are cringy and the quality style of the animation is odd. They really did capture that "grim" feel of the show. I hate that ** now. Haha

Written By: duenas8 on 10/10/18 at 1:32 am

I love 2000’s gameshows. Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader?, Deal or No Deal and I remember a japanese gameshow called “The Human Tetris” which was one of the first virals on Internet.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ITQFN-KCGXE/UDn3a6PaDZI/AAAAAAAACMk/3_-_PnKeosw/s1600/Kapamilya+Deal+Or+No+Deal1.jpg

Written By: Dundee on 10/10/18 at 4:07 pm

I love 2000’s gameshows. Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader?, Deal or No Deal and I remember a japanese gameshow called “The Human Tetris” which was one of the first virals on Internet.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ITQFN-KCGXE/UDn3a6PaDZI/AAAAAAAACMk/3_-_PnKeosw/s1600/Kapamilya+Deal+Or+No+Deal1.jpg
Deal or No Deal was so much fun to watch. I even begged to my mom to buy the board game version ;D

Written By: nally on 10/10/18 at 4:10 pm

Deal or No Deal was so much fun to watch. I even begged to my mom to buy the board game version ;D

I liked watching it too... the U.S. version that is, with emcee Howie Mandel. Even the suspense factor made it interesting.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/10/18 at 4:54 pm

I liked watching it too... the U.S. version that is, with emcee Howie Mandel. Even the suspense factor made it interesting.
It took me a long time to start liking "Deal or No Deal", now in the UK it has been taken off air.

Written By: Howard on 10/11/18 at 5:24 am

I liked Deal or No Deal too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/11/18 at 5:26 am

Now that would be a good board game to play!

With real money? :)

Check for new replies or respond here...