inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Greatest Video Game Launch of the 2000s

Written By: John Titor on 12/27/18 at 5:03 pm

Not what was the best system,but rather what had the better launch.

Subject: Re: Greatest Video Game Launch of the 2000s

Written By: LooseBolt on 12/27/18 at 7:50 pm

I have to go with Wii. Twilight Princess, Wii Sports, and Red Steel at launch, you simply could not go wrong with those.

Written By: John Titor on 12/27/18 at 8:13 pm

PS2, its first launch in 2000 and when systems were available in 2001

Xbox's launch was pretty cool as well

Written By: SpyroKev on 12/27/18 at 8:38 pm

I voted PS2, easily. The library in its self was incredible. I also gotta mention the Gameboy with my own bias since it had a unique type of hype.

Written By: John Titor on 12/27/18 at 9:07 pm

I voted PS2, easily. The library in its self was incredible. I also gotta mention the Gameboy with my own bias since it had a unique type of hype.

gba had a little hype yeah
Sonic Advance was a game changer, first time Sonic was on Nintendo

Written By: Howard on 12/28/18 at 2:21 pm

I will say The PS3, bigger than The PS2 and has more apps.

Written By: 2001 on 12/30/18 at 3:39 pm

It has to be PS2, followed by Wii, if we're talking about hype.

PS3 hype was huge, but the best part was the floppage ;D

Written By: John Titor on 12/30/18 at 5:34 pm

Just stood on shelves in 2007 lol

Written By: SpyroKev on 12/30/18 at 7:40 pm

I generally like the Wii but wasn't it hyped up because of SSBB?

Written By: Howard on 12/31/18 at 7:07 am

What floppage?  ???

Written By: John Titor on 12/31/18 at 12:58 pm

What floppage?  ???

It stood on store shelves in 2007 and did not sell

Written By: Howard on 12/31/18 at 1:10 pm

It stood on store shelves in 2007 and did not sell

And I still have my PS3.

Written By: mqg96 on 12/31/18 at 6:00 pm

This is such a brutal decision, but I'm going to go by which video game consoles impacted our culture the most and all the hype that was going on at the time. For 6th generation, the PS2. For 7th generation, the Wii.

Written By: Shemp97 on 12/31/18 at 7:05 pm

I generally like the Wii but wasn't it hyped up because of SSBB?

I thought it was MKWii that everyone was all over?

Written By: SpyroKev on 12/31/18 at 8:00 pm

Aye.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/01/19 at 7:45 pm

The whole motion control games such as Wii Sports or Wii Fit are what got everyone hyped up about the Wii along with the main 1st party games such as Super Mario Galaxy and Mario Kart Wii, which is why the Wii was the biggest console launch of the 2000's when it came to 7th generation, now based on my research for the 6th generation launch (I was too young to experience that) it was probably the PS2 back in 2000.

Written By: John Titor on 01/01/19 at 9:30 pm

The whole motion control games such as Wii Sports or Wii Fit are what got everyone hyped up about the Wii along with the main 1st party games such as Super Mario Galaxy and Mario Kart Wii, which is why the Wii was the biggest console launch of the 2000's when it came to 7th generation, now based on my research for the 6th generation launch (I was too young to experience that) it was probably the PS2 back in 2000.

it was ps2, the hype for DVD and GTA 3 in 2001 overshadows every release that decade except  Halo2 & San Andreas ,
mind you no social media around back then to hype anything.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/02/19 at 12:59 am

it was ps2, the hype for DVD and GTA 3 in 2001 overshadows every release that decade except  Halo2 & San Andreas ,
mind you no social media around back then to hype anything.

The title of this thread is "Greatest Video Game Launch of the 2000's" not greatest video game releases. Launch means all the hype before the release and a little time after it. The games released around the time of the launch do factor into all the hype tho. The Playstation 2 in 2000 and the Wii in 2006 win those titles. It's a tough one between the two, but it's not fair to compare because those were 2 different generations from 2 different parts of the decade.

Written By: John Titor on 01/02/19 at 12:54 pm

The title of this thread is "Greatest Video Game Launch of the 2000's" not greatest video game releases. Launch means all the hype before the release and a little time after it. The games released around the time of the launch do factor into all the hype tho. The Playstation 2 in 2000 and the Wii in 2006 win those titles. It's a tough one between the two, but it's not fair to compare because those were 2 different generations from 2 different parts of the decade.

tbh ps2's launch games were lacking except Tekken tag

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/02/19 at 8:49 pm

A Strong Tie between the PS2 in 2000 and the Wii in 2006. But if I had to choose, I'd probably go with the Wii. Anybody whom remembers the video game landscape during the Late 2000s can attest that 'Wiimania' was an inescapable cultural phenomenon. From hardcore to casual gamers, it seemed like everybody and their grandmother owned or at least played a Wii.

Written By: John Titor on 01/02/19 at 10:41 pm

A Strong Tie between the PS2 in 2000 and the Wii in 2006. But if I had to choose, I'd probably go with the Wii. Anybody whom remembers the video game landscape during the Late 2000s can attest that 'Wiimania' was an inescapable cultural phenomenon. From hardcore to casual gamers, it seemed like everybody and their grandmother owned or at least played a Wii.

Those stupid Wii you like to play commericals were dumb

I never liked wii, too kiddy and the graphics were not hd and same as gamecube, BUT wii did take over gaming from like late 2006 to like 2008

Written By: mwalker1996 on 01/03/19 at 4:22 pm

Yeah true, anyone who was gaming back then remember the Wii craze. You have gamers who weren't even alive when the Wii released.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/06/19 at 9:24 am

Yeah true, anyone who was gaming back then remember the Wii craze. You have gamers who weren't even alive when the Wii released.

Facts. Damn that’s a scary thought :o.

Check for new replies or respond here...