inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The wii shope is going to be shut down in 2 days

Written By: floppy on 01/29/19 at 9:06 am

the Wii shop shutting down means we are gonna loose a lot games.

Subject: Re: The wii shope is going to be shut down in 2 days

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/29/19 at 10:42 am

The Wii!? I'm amazed its still been up.

Written By: 2001 on 01/29/19 at 11:11 am

Get Ikaruga guys.

Written By: Dundee on 01/29/19 at 1:16 pm

The Wii!? I'm amazed its still been up.
Same, Nintendo shut down the WiFi services of the DS way back in 2013, making a lot of games quite unplayeable. Dunno why the Wii had this privilege for so long >:(

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/29/19 at 2:12 pm

Same, Nintendo shut down the WiFi services of the DS way back in 2013, making a lot of games quite unplayeable. Dunno why the Wii had this privilege for so long >:(

The Wii is said to be revolutionary, as much as I didn't notice it.

Written By: wsmith4 on 01/29/19 at 2:33 pm

I still have my wii from 1996.  It plays, but the new games are a little slow on it.  Will they make a new store?

Written By: mqg96 on 01/29/19 at 4:36 pm

May 2014 actually. I remember like yesterday shortly before I graduated HS and a week before Mario Kart 8 came out. The reason they did that is so they could force Nintendo fans to switch (no pun intended) to Wii U and 3DS games permanently for online experience. I also think the failure of the Wii U had a lot to do with it as well, so they were trying to increase the amount of units sold. I stopped playing Nintendo games long before then tho.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/29/19 at 5:55 pm

It's officially an end of an era....

elSsW5fJpMI

Wii Shop Channel brings back so many memories. While I loved playing classics like Twilight Princess and Metroid Prime 3 back in the day, I have just as much nostalgia of playing those games as playing so many classic gems on the Wii Shop Channel. From rediscovering games like Ocarina of Time and Super Smash Bros, to being introduced to new experiences (at least for me) like the Megaman games on the NES, Kid Iccarus (ironically right before Brawl came out, which led to a revitalization of Pit's character), the original The Legend of Zelda, the NES version of Super Mario Bros. 3, I could go on and on. This truly is very disheartening, and I am certainly going to miss it :\'(.

Theres a reason why I consider the Wii the last major console of my childhood, and the nostalgia of playing (ironically) nostalgic experiences of past games from the prior 20 years of Nintendo history (not to mention Sega, Turbo Grafix 16, etc. etc.) was certainly a major highlight of my Wii experience.

RIP Wii Shop Channel: 2006-2019

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/30/19 at 9:41 am

I remember Eazy E-Man, back when he was here, saying the Wii was a disappointment to him (opposite of Zelda's opinion). Wonder how he'd react to this, maybe apathetic.

Written By: 2001 on 01/30/19 at 9:46 am

I remember Eazy E-Man, back when he was here, saying the Wii was a disappointment to him (opposite of Zelda's opinion). Wonder how he'd react to this, maybe apathetic.

Pretty sure Wii was a disappointment to everybody who wasn't a kid.  :\'(

It's still a shame it's closing though since it had so many retro games. The Switch/3DS stores are a disgrace in comparison.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/30/19 at 11:00 am

It's still a shame it's closing though since it had so many retro games. The Switch/3DS stores are a disgrace in comparison.

Well Eazy was still a kid in 2006. He said he got the original Xbox for Christmas then, later than everyone else, and it's the last console he associates with his childhood.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/30/19 at 11:14 am

Well Eazy was still a kid in 2006. He said he got the original Xbox for Christmas then, later than everyone else, and it's the last console he associates with his childhood.

The Wii wasn't worth buying until more games were released in 2007 despite it's debut in 2006. Believe it or not. Most of my friends in middle school cared more about the XBOX 360 than the Wii, and I can see why. You start getting into more mature games instead of cartoony games once you hit your teen years. When it came to Nintendo consoles or handhelds most people around our age played the Gamecube, Gameboy Advance, or DS. It was about half and half when it came to the amount of people who had N64's or Wii's. Kids who started with the N64 finished with the Gamecube, while kids who started with the Gamecube finished with the Wii.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/30/19 at 11:18 am

If you weren't heavy into the Mario games, then you were out of luck. I understand. Luckily I enjoyed games like Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart Wii, and New Super Mario Bros Wii. I also played a lot of old NES, SNES, and N64 games on the Virtual Console (which you'd get on the Wii Shop Channel) and it was backwards compatible with the old Gamecube games. So I enjoyed the Wii not just for the Wii games, but for all the old games as well.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/30/19 at 11:20 am

The Wii wasn't worth buying until more games were released in 2007 despite it's debut in 2006. Believe it or not. Most of my friends in middle school cared more about the XBOX 360 than the Wii, and I can see why. You start getting into more mature games instead of cartoony games once you hit your teen years. When it came to Nintendo consoles or handhelds most people around our age played the Gamecube, Gameboy Advance, or DS. It was about half and half when it came to the amount of people who had N64's or Wii's. Kids who started with the N64 finished with the Gamecube, while kids who started with the Gamecube finished with the Wii.

See, in middle school, I remember some of my friends saying not to get the 360 because one of them exploded in somebody's house. ;D Later they said to get one because they apparently fixed all the bugs and they weren't exploding anymore.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/30/19 at 11:24 am

See, in middle school, I remember some of my friends saying not to get the 360 because one of them exploded in somebody's house. ;D Later they said to get one because they apparently fixed all the bugs and they weren't exploding anymore.

You're talking about the Red Ring of Death right?

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/30/19 at 11:27 am

You're talking about the Red Ring of Death right?

Yeah, but I think the exploding part was probably made up by my classmates. I'd have to check though.

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/30/19 at 11:32 am

Yeah, but I think the exploding part was probably made up by my classmates. I'd have to check though.

I actually got the RRoD and had to watch a YouTube tutorial on how to get ride of it. Literally had to flipped the Xbox upside down and the sh!t was fixed.

Written By: 2001 on 01/30/19 at 11:54 am

I actually got the RRoD and had to watch a YouTube tutorial on how to get ride of it. Literally had to flipped the Xbox upside down and the sh!t was fixed.

I did the towel trick where you overheat the Xbox 360. It worked for about a year.

Written By: Howard on 01/30/19 at 2:15 pm

What caused The red ring of death? ???

Written By: 2001 on 01/30/19 at 3:17 pm

What caused The red ring of death? ???

General hardware failure. Xbox 360 had shoddy build quality. Microsoft wanted to be first onto market in 2005 and rushed out junk hardware that wasn't built last.

Written By: floppy on 01/30/19 at 4:19 pm

closing at 1 am est  :\'(

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/30/19 at 11:16 pm

It wasn't a disappointment to me.

Written By: Dundee on 01/31/19 at 9:21 am

My grandpa loved it

Written By: wsmith4 on 01/31/19 at 10:28 am

Wii suckes

Written By: floppy on 01/31/19 at 1:22 pm

Wii suckes

your mom sucks

Written By: wsmith4 on 01/31/19 at 1:23 pm

your mom sucks

Learn some trigonometry you baffoon.

Written By: floppy on 01/31/19 at 1:24 pm

Learn some trigonometry you baffoon.

bro im in colage...

Written By: wsmith4 on 01/31/19 at 1:32 pm

bro im in colage...

Might want to have your "colage" professor give you a quick recap on capatilization, punctuation, and spelling then.  Back to elementary school, bud.

Written By: floppy on 01/31/19 at 1:49 pm

Might want to have your "colage" professor give you a quick recap on capatilization, punctuation, and spelling then.  Back to elementary school, bud.

CHILL im only 10 bro

Written By: Dundee on 01/31/19 at 4:15 pm

CHILL im only 9 bro
Wait weren't you born in 2008?  ???

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/31/19 at 11:13 pm

It wasn't a disappointment to me.

You and me both sista, Idk whats up with all of this Wii hate ;D. Yeah it wasn't necessarily 'hardcore', but it still had a wide array of epic games.

Written By: SpyroKev on 02/01/19 at 8:45 am

You and me both sista, Idk whats up with all of this Wii hate ;D. Yeah it wasn't necessarily 'hardcore', but it still had a wide array of epic games.

I didn't hate the Wii. I just wasn't into its library of games. Me and my Wii had a "play you whenever" type of relationship. I was generally losing interest in games as a whole by then.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 02/01/19 at 11:15 am

I didn't hate the Wii. I just wasn't into its library of games. Me and my Wii had a "play you whenever" type of relationship. I was generally losing interest in games as a whole by then.

Ok that makes sense. I'm mainly talking about the guys that claim to be fans of Nintendo that feel that the Wii was when Nintendo sold its soul. In some sense, I do agree because it was around the time when Nintendo officially waived the white flag from directly competing with Sony & Microsoft, but at the same time despite the casual shift in marketing the console still managed to have a great array of games. Both first & third party. Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart Wii, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, No More Heroes, Klonoa, Metroid Prime 3, The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword, Xenoblade Chronicles, Donkey Kong Country Returns, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, I could go on and on. Theres a reason why the Wii is and will likely remain Nintendo's highest best selling successful console in its history, let alone in Video Game memorabilia.

Written By: floppy on 02/04/19 at 6:03 am

the wii was nice it got me into retro gaming when i got super mario bros 3  and i feel like i wouldnt enjoy retro games as much if i went with the xbox 360 or ps3.

bellows opinion is irrelevant

Written By: THE Y2K ERA on 02/04/19 at 11:03 am

the wii sucked

Written By: wsmith4 on 02/04/19 at 3:22 pm

wii was short for sh it

Written By: floppy on 02/04/19 at 5:15 pm

wii was short for sh it

no u

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 02/07/19 at 7:36 am

The closure is official :\'(

IoDRDWhmD-k

Written By: wsmith4 on 02/07/19 at 11:47 am

I miss the wii.  I can't believe they discontinued it in favor of the Game Cube.  The wii shop will remain open for years to come, apparently, so that wii users can still redeem their points.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 02/07/19 at 12:24 pm

Ok that makes sense. I'm mainly talking about the guys that claim to be fans of Nintendo that feel that the Wii was when Nintendo sold its soul. In some sense, I do agree because it was around the time when Nintendo officially waived the white flag from directly competing with Sony & Microsoft, but at the same time despite the casual shift in marketing the console still managed to have a great array of games. Both first & third party. Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart Wii, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, No More Heroes, Klonoa, Metroid Prime 3, The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword, Xenoblade Chronicles, Donkey Kong Country Returns, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, I could go on and on. Theres a reason why the Wii is and will likely remain Nintendo's highest best selling successful console in its history, let alone in Video Game memorabilia.
True, I loved my Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, smash brawl, etc. I can also see why Spyrokev fell out of gaming at the time because I was going thru that same phase by 2010 despite being in my early teens then. I just wasn't into the whole fps craze of the early 10s at the time. By the time 2010 rolled around it seemed the gaming industry revolved around fps and motion controls which kind of made me fell out of console gaming. It wasn't till around 2013 when I got back into console gaming with the Wii u being out and the hyoe of the ps4 and Xbox one coming out.

Written By: SpyroKev on 02/07/19 at 12:39 pm

True, I loved my Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, smash brawl, etc. I can also see why Spyrokev fell out of gaming at the time because I was going thru that same phase by 2010 despite being in my early teens then. I just wasn't into the whole fps craze of the early 10s at the time. By the time 2010 rolled around it seemed the gaming industry revolved around fps and motion controls which kind of made me fell out of console gaming. It wasn't till around 2013 when I got back into console gaming with the Wii u being out and the hyoe of the ps4 and Xbox one coming out.

By then, gaming lost the "magic" for me that was already established in the Gamecube, Gameboy Advance, PS2 and Xbox era. I just miss when games felt like a personal escape rather then "universal"

Written By: mwalker1996 on 02/07/19 at 3:31 pm

By then, gaming lost the "magic" for me that was already established in the Gamecube, Gameboy Advance, PS2 and Xbox era. I just miss when games felt like a personal escape rather then "universal"
I agree, the 6th gen was the Goat.  Gaming was so diverse back then and it was fighter, rpgs, platformers, racing, puzzle games, etc. I miss those days when every system had their own unique set of games rather then just Xbox and ps4 have all the same 3rd party games.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/07/19 at 6:30 pm

I appreciated the Wii for the first party games, Gamecube (backwards compatible) games, and Virtual Console games from the NES, SNES, and N64. Did I already say this earlier!  ;D

Written By: mqg96 on 02/07/19 at 6:32 pm

I agree, the 6th gen was the Goat.  Gaming was so diverse back then and it was fighter, rpgs, platformers, racing, puzzle games, etc. I miss those days when every system had their own unique set of games rather then just Xbox and ps4 have all the same 3rd party games.

6th generation will always be the peak of golden age gaming for millennials. I don't care what anyone says.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 02/07/19 at 8:22 pm

I appreciated the Wii for the first party games, Gamecube (backwards compatible) games, and Virtual Console games from the NES, SNES, and N64. Did I already say this earlier!  ;D

Nah you're cool bruh ;D. That wasn't really directed towards you

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 02/07/19 at 8:25 pm

Probably the best 'top 10' list out here regarding Wii games:

c8wM6fjPj-0

Damn I've been in a weird mid-late 2000s nostalgic roll recently ;D.

Written By: Zelek3 on 02/07/19 at 8:30 pm

Probably the best 'top 10' list out here regarding Wii games:

c8wM6fjPj-0

Damn I've been in a weird mid-late 2000s nostalgic roll recently ;D.

Hey Zelda, could you respond to the message I sent? When you get the chance, not rushing you. :)

Written By: mwalker1996 on 02/08/19 at 9:10 pm

6th generation will always be the peak of golden age gaming for millennials. I don't care what anyone says.
Well for our age group it is, most millennials will say the 5th gen was their peak generation.

Written By: Howard on 02/09/19 at 1:57 pm

Well for our age group it is, most millennials will say the 5th gen was their peak generation.

What was our generation?  ???

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 02/09/19 at 9:02 pm

The peak of gaming is rather subjective. However, I'd say regarding the Millennial Generation, early Yers would probably rate the 4th generation as the peak, core Yers the 5th, & Late Yers the 6th.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/09/19 at 10:27 pm

The peak of gaming is rather subjective. However, I'd say regarding the Millennial Generation, early Yers would probably rate the 4th generation as the peak, core Yers the 5th, & Late Yers the 6th.

I look at the peak of gaming for kids, teens, and younger adults, not just kids, which is why I believe 6th generation was the peak for millennials, but I might as well throw 5th generation in there as well. The first 3 generations were Gen X. 4th generation was in that transition. 7th generation is in the other transition. 8th generation is probably the first full Gen Z gaming gen, despite people of all ages using the consoles today who started with earlier generations. A lot of the features and capabilities in modern gaming today are more complicated than the earlier generations where it was much simpler.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 02/10/19 at 1:13 am

I look at the peak of gaming for kids, teens, and younger adults, not just kids, which is why I believe 6th generation was the peak for millennials, but I might as well throw 5th generation in there as well. The first 3 generations were Gen X. 4th generation was in that transition. 7th generation is in the other transition. 8th generation is probably the first full Gen Z gaming gen, despite people of all ages using the consoles today who started with earlier generations. A lot of the features and capabilities in modern gaming today are more complicated than the earlier generations where it was much simpler.
Not really, plenty of millennials (mid-late 80s babies) grew up on the 16-bit era.  Most Gen Xers in the early 90s felt gaming was too kiddy in the early 90s since core Xers were in their teens and young adults years then (back when gaming was considered something only kids and nerds did). 5th gen was undisputedly Y, 6th Gen was Y as well but a few Zers got to play 6th games depending on where you start gen z, 7th gen is Y/Z cusp since it was when a good number of gen zers started gaming but millennials were still the dominant audience, 8th gen I say Gen Z since it was their childhood, teen and some young adulthood console genoration

Written By: Dundee on 02/10/19 at 6:06 am

The Wii was also a very popular game console among the elderly. Therefore I'd say 7th Gen was also a Silent Genner game generation ;D.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 02/10/19 at 9:22 am

The Wii was also a very popular game console among the elderly. Therefore I'd say 7th Gen was also a Silent Genner game generation ;D.

And don't forget the GIers ;)

Written By: February2002 on 03/01/19 at 7:37 pm

wii sucked

Check for new replies or respond here...