inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why are you REALLY here?

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 02/01/19 at 4:29 am

Let's be honest, is it really because you care about the difference between one decade and another or is it because you missed out on you're youth and want to remind yourself of the atmosphere of back then.

I remember I used to get the "feeling" of a certain period in time when I saw something from a long time ago, or I smelled a smell that I used to smell a lot during a certain time period. Or a certain TV show would bring memories flooding back.

My youth years consisted of mainly being shy and in my bedroom. Now I am pushing 30 I realised it didn't actually have to be that way at all.

I have no memories from back then, not where I was interacting with other people, particularly young women. I wish I approached loads of girls back then, for instance.

Everyone told me "things will get better when you are older" which I now realise was wrong and it was up to me to work on what I wanted to. Now I am approaching women, but I wish I started when I was young.

But yeah, 2006-10 are a source of particular fascination. I remember living my life exclusively on forums and gaming. I was never part of "real life" like I am now and normal people's lives of the age I was then seemed impossible to relate to.

It would be interesting to hear my fellow penguin's views ;)

Subject: Re: Why are you REALLY here?

Written By: SpyroKev on 02/01/19 at 9:05 am

Me and you think alike. I joined for the 2000s sub, to examine "young me" as much as possible. Like you, I missed sh!t in the 2000s so now, its like I'm immense in it. I want to make up for it and being a image for the 2000s.

Written By: John Titor on 02/01/19 at 10:32 am

Let's be honest, is it really because you care about the difference between one decade and another or is it because you missed out on you're youth and want to remind yourself of the atmosphere of back then.

I remember I used to get the "feeling" of a certain period in time when I saw something from a long time ago, or I smelled a smell that I used to smell a lot during a certain time period. Or a certain TV show would bring memories flooding back.

My youth years consisted of mainly being shy and in my bedroom. Now I am pushing 30 I realised it didn't actually have to be that way at all.

I have no memories from back then, not where I was interacting with other people, particularly young women. I wish I approached loads of girls back then, for instance.

Everyone told me "things will get better when you are older" which I now realise was wrong and it was up to me to work on what I wanted to. Now I am approaching women, but I wish I started when I was young.

But yeah, 2006-10 are a source of particular fascination. I remember living my life exclusively on forums and gaming. I was never part of "real life" like I am now and normal people's lives of the age I was then seemed impossible to relate to.

I was out every single day in the early 2000s lol I was born in 89 so I have very vivid memories of that time, its the same reason why people look at old pictures or listen to old songs, it brings you back to a different era.

Everything that you see in those atmosphere threads are pretty reflective of how I lived life then. Going to the mall, walking around endlessly skateboarding, going to the movies and loitering lol

Written By: Howard on 02/01/19 at 2:02 pm

I've been here for close to 20 years, I just like to discuss and start conversations with others.

Written By: 2001 on 02/01/19 at 2:11 pm

I came for childhood nostalgia and I guess I stayed for the community :D

My teenage years are split. When I was 11-16 (2004-2009), it was not so fun, but I rebounded and had it good 2009-2012 (16-19), so I don't regret my teenage years very much. I do get what you mean though about reliving it differently. 2006-2011 in particular are interesting to me. Those years feel very homely, like I half expect to go to sleep and wake up in those years. I wish I imminisced myself more in pop culture and went out with friends more in 2006-2008. How interesting would have that been!

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/01/19 at 2:55 pm

I'm here because one day my parents had unprotected sex and put me here on earth nine months later.

Written By: John Titor on 02/01/19 at 3:00 pm

I've been here for close to 20 years, I just like to discuss and start conversations with others.

what was it like here in the early 2000s ?  No clue this site was a thing,
I think RETRO JUNK maybe

Written By: shadowcookie on 02/01/19 at 3:09 pm

I first joined in Jan 2015 to talk about childhood experiences with people who can relate. I only started posting regularly over the past 2 months though.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/01/19 at 4:06 pm

This pretty much describes me in high school, college, and most of my twenties. Like...me exactly.  I remember relying on "things will get better when you are older" but "older" never came and things never got better.

Though I don't really wish to go back and re-live the 2000s.  I do wish I was 23 again and not 33.  I also have a special affinity for 2007 through about 2012.  I can't help but think about all the missed opportunities I had to have the life and the relationships I dreamed of but was too scared to stand up to my fundamentalist Christian family or challenge my own status quo.  I feel like now, in my 30s, my life potential has been so severely stunted that at this point I'm just waiting to get old.  It doesn't help that I'm stuck in a small f*cking town where it feels like I'm cut off from the real world and don't really have the ability to leave.  It's too late for me to have the kind of awesome experiences most people get to have in their twenties.  It's depressing but that's how I feel it is.

Written By: Dundee on 02/01/19 at 5:08 pm

The bedroom life, simply the best in the winter 8)

Written By: annimal on 02/01/19 at 6:49 pm

?

Written By: wixness on 02/01/19 at 9:10 pm

To express my love for the 2000s and contempt for the 2010s. To have a community to talk to more about this sort of stuff and other topics if I feel like it.

Written By: cowboy on 02/02/19 at 9:37 am

Life's not about dating. I didn't date anyone in the early 2010s, yet they were my happiest years so far, on par with most of my childhood years in the 90s. It was great to enjoy new music for once (I loved the 90s, but most music back then was bad, ditto for 2000-2007). I'm here to express my love for the 1940s, 1980s, 1990s and especially for 2008-2013. :)

Yes, I miss being 25 in 2013/14 (30 now, time flies! Yet as a culture and era it feels so distant now, so far away, a totally different world (Obama, Win 7, 8.0, better-looking cars, less terrorism here, etc.). And I also did many things between 2014 and today - went to 2 graduate schools, got a degree. Worked at and left 3 jobs since 2014.

The more things you do/experience like jobs you get/leave etc, the more time feels distant to you. As young people perceive time differently and everything is new to them, that's why to little kids a year or two is like ages apart. If I hadn't left my 2013/14 job and hadn't went abroad to graduate school, I'd probably have stayed there until 2016 at least. And hence 2013 wouldn't have seemed so distant to me.

I hated 2006-2007 at the time, and still find most music tacky compared to the superior 2008-2013 era. However, looking back TV and culture were not halfway bad. In fact, say whatever you like, but even Disney was better back then than now! Yes, a guilty pleasure for me!

Written By: Dundee on 02/02/19 at 12:56 pm

I'm here to express my love for the 1940s
http://cimg.tvgcdn.net/i/2013/02/12/44046376-796d-4355-9668-03e12701faa5/thinking.gif

Written By: Howard on 02/02/19 at 2:07 pm

what was it like here in the early 2000s ?  No clue this site was a thing,
I think RETRO JUNK maybe

I think when I first joined this was a much bigger community compared to now.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/02/19 at 2:29 pm

Because I'm a mod.

Written By: fgbn on 02/02/19 at 8:36 pm

I was out every single day in the early 2000s lol I was born in 89 so I have very vivid memories of that time, its the same reason why people look at old pictures or listen to old songs, it brings you back to a different era.

Everything that you see in those atmosphere threads are pretty reflective of how I lived life then. Going to the mall, walking around endlessly skateboarding, going to the movies and loitering lol

thought you were born in 88

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 02/17/19 at 11:19 am

This pretty much describes me in high school, college, and most of my twenties. Like...me exactly.  I remember relying on "things will get better when you are older" but "older" never came and things never got better.

Hell, "older" always comes. Time waits for no one, it just feels like you haven't moved on because...well, you haven't, because experience comes from trying things rather than time just idly passing by. The trouble is when you don't know what you have to try.

Experience doesn't necessarily come with time, I know that now.

I've worked on my social confidence by approaching women since last year, but it's not an easy road and much better to be doing at 18 or at least 21 rather than nearly 30.

The whole time I was in the "young" age group, I was sat at my computer, I had the feeling time was passing me by but I didn't know what to do about it.

Though I don't really wish to go back and re-live the 2000s.  I do wish I was 23 again and not 33.  I also have a special affinity for 2007 through about 2012.  I can't help but think about all the missed opportunities I had to have the life and the relationships I dreamed of but was too scared to stand up to my fundamentalist Christian family or challenge my own status quo.  I feel like now, in my 30s, my life potential has been so severely stunted that at this point I'm just waiting to get old.  It doesn't help that I'm stuck in a small f*cking town where it feels like I'm cut off from the real world and don't really have the ability to leave.  It's too late for me to have the kind of awesome experiences most people get to have in their twenties.  It's depressing but that's how I feel it is.

I'm not really sure it would "feel right" for me to be younger in this modern era. I really had everything technology wise I needed in the 2000s, what I didn't have was any sort of social life or female contact.

I totally understand what you mean about challenging the status quo. My status quo was not influenced by religion, but by the fact I had attended a special needs autistic boarding school. Which also made my parents overly protective of me as a young adult and that really messed up my self esteem.

Like you, when I was younger I never made an effort to challenge it, I always saw myself as "the awkward special needs guy" and thought women would see me like that as well. I never tried expressing interest in any young women when I was 18. It's really sad.

Like you, I am also stuck in a dead end town, living in my mums house and at 30, I don't really feel very motivated to do much else anyway.

It's as though my life never got off to a start, the whole of my 20s I was just waiting for it to start but it never did.

I do wonder how many men end up like this, I think it is more than people realise. I wish there was a way to sum this up, like a sort of "life never started for us" type group.

Life's not about dating. I didn't date anyone in the early 2010s, yet they were my happiest years so far, on par with most of my childhood years in the 90s. It was great to enjoy new music for once (I loved the 90s, but most music back then was bad, ditto for 2000-2007). I'm here to express my love for the 1940s, 1980s, 1990s and especially for 2008-2013. :)

I disagree with you there, life is about what you want at the end of the day. In the end, none of it matters.

For me personally, I felt like I was "trapped" in shyness when I didn't really have to be.
As a young adult, you should be living an adult life if you feel you should, If you don't, that's fine, but I felt like I wanted a slice of that, particularly some female interaction.

I wanted to be able to say that I've tried.

Yes, I miss being 25 in 2013/14 (30 now, time flies! Yet as a culture and era it feels so distant now, so far away, a totally different world (Obama, Win 7, 8.0, better-looking cars, less terrorism here, etc.). And I also did many things between 2014 and today - went to 2 graduate schools, got a degree. Worked at and left 3 jobs since 2014.

The more things you do/experience like jobs you get/leave etc, the more time feels distant to you. As young people perceive time differently and everything is new to them, that's why to little kids a year or two is like ages apart. If I hadn't left my 2013/14 job and hadn't went abroad to graduate school, I'd probably have stayed there until 2016 at least. And hence 2013 wouldn't have seemed so distant to me.

I hated 2006-2007 at the time, and still find most music tacky compared to the superior 2008-2013 era. However, looking back TV and culture were not halfway bad. In fact, say whatever you like, but even Disney was better back then than now! Yes, a guilty pleasure for me!

I do agree re the perspective on time. In the last 11 years since I was 18, I don't feel like I have really done anything much at all.

Yes, I never cared much for any sort of popular culture at all.

Written By: annimal on 02/17/19 at 12:01 pm

Because I have no better for to do

Written By: SpyroKev on 02/17/19 at 12:06 pm

Hell, "older" always comes. Time waits for no one, it just feels like you haven't moved on because...well, you haven't, because experience comes from trying things rather than time just idly passing by. The trouble is when you don't know what you have to try.

Experience doesn't necessarily come with time, I know that now.

I've worked on my social confidence by approaching women since last year, but it's not an easy road and much better to be doing at 18 or at least 21 rather than nearly 30.

The whole time I was in the "young" age group, I was sat at my computer, I had the feeling time was passing me by but I didn't know what to do about it.

I'm not really sure it would "feel right" for me to be younger in this modern era. I really had everything technology wise I needed in the 2000s, what I didn't have was any sort of social life or female contact.

I totally understand what you mean about challenging the status quo. My status quo was not influenced by religion, but by the fact I had attended a special needs autistic boarding school. Which also made my parents overly protective of me as a young adult and that really messed up my self esteem.

Like you, when I was younger I never made an effort to challenge it, I always saw myself as "the awkward special needs guy" and thought women would see me like that as well. I never tried expressing interest in any young women when I was 18. It's really sad.

Like you, I am also stuck in a dead end town, living in my mums house and at 30, I don't really feel very motivated to do much else anyway.

It's as though my life never got off to a start, the whole of my 20s I was just waiting for it to start but it never did.

I do wonder how many men end up like this, I think it is more than people realise. I wish there was a way to sum this up, like a sort of "life never started for us" type group.

I disagree with you there, life is about what you want at the end of the day. In the end, none of it matters.

For me personally, I felt like I was "trapped" in shyness when I didn't really have to be.
As a young adult, you should be living an adult life if you feel you should, If you don't, that's fine, but I felt like I wanted a slice of that, particularly some female interaction.

I wanted to be able to say that I've tried.

I do agree re the perspective on time. In the last 11 years since I was 18, I don't feel like I have really done anything much at all.

Yes, I never cared much for any sort of popular culture at all.

I know it can be like "I can't believe this sh!t's happening" haha We're definitely on the same boat. Honestly, I feel like the "target" now because I feel like I'd probably go through almost anything to get that "experience"

Its like a blinked and suddenly, I'm here and reprogramed. I consider attempting to keep my self fit the only hope.

Written By: annimal on 02/17/19 at 12:45 pm

Now I'm back again.  To exercise was a must

Written By: KatanaChick on 02/17/19 at 1:25 pm

I joined Inthe00s because the older I got the more nostalgic I got. I have fond and not so fond memories of the 2000s when I was a teenager and wanted to see who else might have something interesting to say who grew up during those times too. Current trends are also fun to talk about. Time flies and you never realize how different the past was until you think about it. I've always been an addict for online forums and social media groups even when I had a better IRL social life. Offline you make a friend and pretty much get what you get in terms of how much you have in common, which sometimes isn't much.

Written By: Howard on 02/17/19 at 2:04 pm

I joined Decades so I can chat with all sorts of people from all around the world.

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/24/19 at 10:51 am

I originally joined 15 years ago, to help figure out songs and movies that I had been trying to identify since I was a kid.  This place was a big help.

Haven't been in here in a long time.  I came back because I'm in transition and trying to find myself.  It was 20 years ago I got my first house, wife, kid.  Things were so much simpler then.  A few years later I married someone else and we had a pretty good family life through the 2000s even though we struggled.  But nearly all of my 2010s have been just survival with the pieces I had left after that was over.  I've had a few relationships this past decade, but overall women have ruined me and I'm done.

Well the kid graduates this year, so the court dealings will be over soon.  I finally got the house/garage/property I wanted all along, even though in ways I miss the old one.  I'm in process of sorting through everything I moved, realizing I don't need most of it.  20 years at my job and I'm finally earning something decent.  So I finally achieved what I've been trying for all along, now my health is taking a toll and I don't know how much I'll be able to enjoy the rest of my years.

So I'm not here for nostalgia of my childhood (that would be the 80s).  But reading about the culture from my happier/easier early adult years, and remembering some of it that I had forgotten.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/19 at 11:18 am

I signed up here a few weeks after the reformation of the forum after the big crash. I started here so that I could learn and share knowledge and information, with fun along the way.

...and I am still here!

Written By: annimal on 02/24/19 at 12:58 pm

I'm waiting for my laundry to dry

Written By: Howard on 02/24/19 at 2:23 pm

I'm here to chat with buddies from all over the world.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/27/19 at 10:05 am

Something you can not normally do so easily

Written By: cowboy on 03/07/19 at 1:27 pm

Gosh, I've been here since at least 2006 or sth. Wish I didn't change my name as much back then. I quit too many times but came back. :D I remember when some ppl here were hating on Britney's Blackout era and how HM-era Miley was also hated (overexposure fatigue I guess). Looking back 2005-2013 had some great pop culture. :)

Written By: Skittler on 07/07/19 at 10:48 am

I'm here because back in the early 2000s I was a teen and when you're young you don't appreciate the time and moment that much until you look back. The relationships, the music, the culture all played a part in who I am today. What I think and feel can all be traced to that time period and what I experienced in life and love. Between the ages of 13-21 had the most profound impact on my life and I'm just here to celebrate it I suppose. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/09/19 at 5:33 am

..and cheaper too!

Written By: Howard on 07/09/19 at 7:24 am

..and cheaper too!

You never have to pay a dime! :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/09/19 at 7:36 am

You never have to pay a dime! :)
...aoart from the cost of electricity in running the computer.

Written By: Howard on 07/09/19 at 1:59 pm

I've been here 18 years and continue to be here day and night.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 12/17/19 at 5:05 pm

I'm here for the nostalgia.

Check for new replies or respond here...