inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Most 2000s Anime?

Written By: SpyroKev on 03/03/19 at 5:10 pm

This seems to be a missing topic, a literal subject of the topic. What is the most 2000s anime?

When I think of 2000s anime, I hear OG Naruto and Samurai Champloo.

Naruto Shippuden also was at its peak in the 2000s and DBZ gets a pass because I feel like it re-debuted in the 2000s. I don't think of it as a anime other than 2000s.

Subject: Re: Most 2000s Anime?

Written By: SmartBo1 on 03/03/19 at 9:10 pm

FLCL, Gurren Lagan, and Full Metal Alchemist were also pretty big shows from the 2000's.  Also Dragonball was originally more of a product from the late 80's and early 90's than the 2000's. 

Written By: musicguy93 on 03/03/19 at 9:37 pm

Naruto (the original not Shipudden), Bleach, and Death Note all feel very 2000s. Not necessarily in a negative way, just the art-style and animation feels very 200s. I don't think DBZ counts. While the Funimation dub did air in the early-mid 2000s (the Ocean dub aired in the 90s), it originally aired in Japan in the early-mid 90s. Not to mention the Dragon Ball series as a whole has kind of transcended time periods/decades. I know a lot of hardcore DBZ fans who were only babies when it aired on Toonami.

Written By: SpyroKev on 03/04/19 at 10:06 am

FLCL, Gurren Lagan, and Full Metal Alchemist were also pretty big shows from the 2000's.  Also Dragonball was originally more of a product from the late 80's and early 90's than the 2000's.

FLCL is extremely accurate, I forgot about it. I agree, FMA is also 2000s.
Naruto (the original not Shipudden), Bleach, and Death Note all feel very 2000s. Not necessarily in a negative way, just the art-style and animation feels very 200s. I don't think DBZ counts. While the Funimation dub did air in the early-mid 2000s (the Ocean dub aired in the 90s), it originally aired in Japan in the early-mid 90s. Not to mention the Dragon Ball series as a whole has kind of transcended time periods/decades. I know a lot of hardcore DBZ fans who were only babies when it aired on Toonami.

Shippuden is 2000s, bruh. Shippuden had a incredible start in the 2000s. After the 2000s, Shippuden felt less significant. DBZ is arguable because it really reinvented its self in the 00s, the decade saw constant video game releases and the DBZ magazines.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 03/04/19 at 10:58 am

Shippuden is 2000s, bruh. Shippuden had a incredible start in the 2000s. After the 2000s, Shippuden felt less significant. DBZ is arguable because it really reinvented its self in the 00s, the decade saw constant video game releases and the DBZ magazines.
Shippuden carried on well into the 10s. The manga didn't end till 2014 and the anime ended in 2017 so it's more of a 00s/10s hybrid.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 03/04/19 at 11:00 am

Inuyasha is another very 2000s anime.

Written By: 2001 on 03/04/19 at 12:20 pm

I remember the Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi was all anyone talked about for two or three years and then it just vanished.

Written By: KatanaChick on 03/04/19 at 12:46 pm

Yu Gi Oh, One Piece, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, and Inuyasha were the popular ones I'm familiar with from then.

Written By: SpyroKev on 03/04/19 at 2:42 pm

Shippuden carried on well into the 10s. The manga didn't end till 2014 and the anime ended in 2017 so it's more of a 00s/10s hybrid.

Legitimate. I'm just bias for the 2000s. Haha Shippuden was still hype in the Killer Bee arc.
I remember the Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi was all anyone talked about for two or three years and then it just vanished.

This is one of those anime I was always anonymous with. It does sound technically 2000s.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 03/04/19 at 4:28 pm

Legitimate. I'm just bias for the 2000s. Haha Shippuden was still hype in the Killer Bee arc.
This is one of those anime I was always anonymous with. It does sound technically 2000s.
You sound like most 90s kids back in the day who used anything from the early 00s to call it 90s.

Written By: SpyroKev on 03/04/19 at 5:10 pm

You sound like most 90s kids back in the day who used anything from the early 00s to call it 90s.

I'm professional about it tho. Shippuden has a strong "2000s" aesthetic, the anime feel and sound out of place in any other decade. By the time Shippuden ended, the anime long since lost its significance. It felt like a joke, especially how the plot twist was executed by the end of Shippuden. People couldn't even wait for Shippuden to end.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 03/04/19 at 5:59 pm

I'm professional about it tho. Shippuden has a strong "2000s" aesthetic, the anime feel and sound out of place in any other decade. By the time Shippuden ended, the anime long since lost its significance. It felt like a joke, especially how the plot twist was executed by the end of Shippuden. People couldn't even wait for Shippuden to end.
Yea true, lots of naruto fans dropped out during Shippuden. I enjoyed the early parts if Shippuden but it did get way to filler heavy especially after the pain arc. Another 2000s anime is Inuyasha my cousin loved that show back in 2006.

Written By: SpyroKev on 03/04/19 at 6:32 pm

Yea true, lots of naruto fans dropped out during Shippuden. I enjoyed the early parts if Shippuden but it did get way to filler heavy especially after the pain arc. Another 2000s anime is Inuyasha my cousin loved that show back in 2006.

I know InuYaha is legitimately 2000s. Haha I know I'm not the only one on this site who grew up with anime so I left out those mentions to be mentioned. For me, Shippuden went to sh!t after the Akatsuki died off.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 03/04/19 at 10:57 pm

I know InuYaha is legitimately 2000s. Haha I know I'm not the only one on this site who grew up with anime so I left out those mentions to be mentioned. For me, Shippuden went to sh!t after the Akatsuki died off.
True since shippuden started off as a continuation from the atkaski arc of the original series.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 03/04/19 at 10:58 pm

Another 2000s anime is the og Beyblabe with Tyson, Ray, Max, Kai and later on Dachi.

Written By: musicguy93 on 03/04/19 at 11:18 pm

I'm not sure about Shippuden since it only recently ended. When you say DBZ reinvented itself in the 2000s, do you mean after the failure of the Ocean Dub in the US? Because technically the Funimation dub of the Ginyu Saga-Kid Buu originally aired in the early 2000s and their dub of the Saiyan/Namekian saga aired in 2005. I know a lot of people group DBZ with the 90s, but I think they are mostly referring to the Ocean Dub, not Funimation. Or they are referring to the fact that it aired in Japan in the early-mid 90s.

Written By: SpyroKev on 03/05/19 at 9:14 am

Another 2000s anime is the og Beyblabe with Tyson, Ray, Max, Kai and later on Dachi.

IGPX is another anime that received some or most production from Toonami that is exactly known but it doesn't take away its "2000s" emphasis. Also, Avatar is technically anime, which is extremely 2000s.

I'm not sure about Shippuden since it only recently ended. When you say DBZ reinvented itself in the 2000s, do you mean after the failure of the Ocean Dub in the US? Because technically the Funimation dub of the Ginyu Saga-Kid Buu originally aired in the early 2000s and their dub of the Saiyan/Namekian saga aired in 2005. I know a lot of people group DBZ with the 90s, but I think they are mostly referring to the Ocean Dub, not Funimation. Or they are referring to the fact that it aired in Japan in the early-mid 90s.

The FUNimation dub I'm referring to that was reinvented in the 2000s.  When I first watched DBZ, I didn't know the anime was older than it was. It felt new. I can agree tho that now I shouldn't have counted DBZ as 2000s since the anime is truly more of a timeless product. Every decade will have its own perception of DBZ.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 03/05/19 at 1:01 pm

IGPX is another anime that received some or most production from Toonami that is exactly known but it doesn't take away its "2000s" emphasis. Also, Avatar is technically anime, which is extremely 2000s.

The FUNimation dub I'm referring to that was reinvented in the 2000s.  When I first watched DBZ, I didn't know the anime was older than it was. It felt new. I can agree tho that now I shouldn't have counted DBZ as 2000s since the anime is truly more of a timeless product. Every decade will have its own perception of DBZ.
Unless you talking about the toonami era Dbz aka the funimation dub then you can say 00s. I put 90s as ocean dub era.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/06/19 at 10:17 am

Naruto, Bleach, and Fullmetal Alchemist for sure.

For little kids, Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh for the first half of the 00's. Bakugan for the late 00's.

Let me make this clear, Pokemon is NOT 90's. It's a 00's thing. The TV show combined with the cards and merchandise spent ONE full year in the 90's which was 1999. Pokemon maintained popularity throughout the first half of the 2000's, and even after the first Gen series was over reruns on Cartoon Network were still popular and then you had DS games that were very popular as well.

The most 90's anime are probably Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z. Those 2 series spent enough time in the 90's in America for it to be considered 90's, and most of its episodes were made in the 90's in Japan unlike Pokemon (which had more in the 00's than 90's even in Japan). Sailor Moon came to the US in 1995 on Saturday mornings, and then returned on Toonami/CN in 1998 and peaked in popularity from that time up until it ended in 2000. DBZ came to the the US in 1996 on Saturday Mornings as well, but like Sailor Moon, returned on Toonami/CN in 1998. DBZ was the most popular but once it ended in 2003, it fell off completely, and even when the uncut version of DBZ came on in 2005, it wasn't the same. Pokemon on the other hand, despite the 1st generation ending in 2003, it still maintained good popularity with some later series most of the 00's despite what people may say.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/06/19 at 10:20 am

Yeah, the original dub of DBZ in America was the Ocean dub which aired on syndication in 1996 (which means multiple stations Saturday mornings) and the first year it joined Toonami/CN in 1998. Then in 1999 the Funimation dub of DBZ aired Toonami/CN and that's when its popularity really took off. Despite all of that, DBZ is still mostly 90's overall.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 03/06/19 at 11:11 am

For little kids, Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh for the first half of the 00's. Bakugan for the late 00's.

Let me make this clear, Pokemon is NOT 90's. It's a 00's thing. The TV show combined with the cards and merchandise spent ONE full year in the 90's which was 1999. Pokemon maintained popularity throughout the first half of the 2000's, and even after the first Gen series was over reruns on Cartoon Network were still popular and then you had DS games that were very popular as well.

The most 90's anime are probably Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z. Those 2 series spent enough time in the 90's in America for it to be considered 90's, and most of its episodes were made in the 90's in Japan unlike Pokemon (which had more in the 00's than 90's even in Japan). Sailor Moon came to the US in 1995 on Saturday mornings, and then returned on Toonami/CN in 1998 and peaked in popularity from that time up until it ended in 2000. DBZ came to the the US in 1996 on Saturday Mornings as well, but like Sailor Moon, returned on Toonami/CN in 1998. DBZ was the most popular but once it ended in 2003, it fell off completely, and even when the uncut version of DBZ came on in 2005, it wasn't the same. Pokemon on the other hand, despite the 1st generation ending in 2003, it still maintained good popularity with some later series most of the '00s despite what people may say.
Correct, but gen 1 Pokemon aka the first 151 pokemon ended in 2000 which is why a lot of older Pokemon fans refer to it as a 90s anime despite Pokemon still continuing to sell well into the new millennium. Since gen 1 and gen 2 are so connected the Japanese community combine the first 5 seasons in the English dub into one series. You're technically right but for the American audience gen 1 is 98-00 while gen 2 is 00-03.

Written By: SmartBo1 on 03/06/19 at 11:17 am

The most 90's anime are probably Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z. Those 2 series spent enough time in the 90's in America for it to be considered 90's, and most of its episodes were made in the 90's in Japan unlike Pokemon (which had more in the 00's than 90's even in Japan). Sailor Moon came to the US in 1995 on Saturday mornings, and then returned on Toonami/CN in 1998 and peaked in popularity from that time up until it ended in 2000. DBZ came to the the US in 1996 on Saturday Mornings as well, but like Sailor Moon, returned on Toonami/CN in 1998. DBZ was the most popular but once it ended in 2003, it fell off completely, and even when the uncut version of DBZ came on in 2005, it wasn't the same. Pokemon on the other hand, despite the 1st generation ending in 2003, it still maintained good popularity with some later series most of the 00's despite what people may say.

Pokeyman red and blue actually came out in 1996 though. Then gold/silver were released in 1999. It was us baka gaijins that got it late.

Written By: SpyroKev on 03/06/19 at 11:44 am

Yeah, the original dub of DBZ in America was the Ocean dub which aired on syndication in 1996 (which means multiple stations Saturday mornings) and the first year it joined Toonami/CN in 1998. Then in 1999 the Funimation dub of DBZ aired Toonami/CN and that's when its popularity really took off. Despite all of that, DBZ is still mostly 90's overall.

I went back and analyzed DBZ toys and some of the moments in the anime. It is actually 90s asf.

I believe Pokémon wasn't mentioned because it has a type of hybrid syndrome that makes it feel exclusive to a specific year or its own thing. Like, Kanto is late 90s/1998/1999 for instance. I do agree tho, Johto and gen 3 is extremely 2000s. D/P feels literally 2007. Haha

Written By: JackSepton on 03/06/19 at 11:47 am

I went back and analyzed DBZ toys and some of the moments in the anime. It is actually 90s asf.

I believe Pokémon wasn't mentioned because it has a type of hybrid syndrome that makes it feel exclusive to a specific year or its own thing. Like, Kanto is late 90s/1998/1999 for instance. I do agree tho, Johto and gen 3 is extremely 2000s. D/P feels literally 2007. Haha

pokemon was popular in 99, its a late 90s thing

Written By: mqg96 on 03/06/19 at 3:45 pm

Correct, but gen 1 Pokemon aka the first 151 pokemon ended in 2000 which is why a lot of older Pokemon fans refer to it as a 90s anime despite Pokemon still continuing to sell well into the new millennium. Since gen 1 and gen 2 are so connected the Japanese community combine the first 5 seasons in the English dub into one series. You're technically right but for the American audience gen 1 is 98-00 while gen 2 is 00-03.

I’m talking about the original Pokémon series from 1997-2002 (or 1998-2003 in America) with the original Ash, Misty, and Brock cast, including all the video games before Ruby and Sapphire. 2003 was the bridge year when Pokemon’s golden age came to an end with the TV show, video games, and merchandise, but even after 2003 and the rest of the 2000’s, Pokémon was still a lot more popular among kids 5-11 than Dragon Ball Z after 2003. DBZ wasn’t even on TV in 2004. DBZ uncut in 2005 was exciting, but it wasn’t the same by then. It was all about Naruto in 2005. Pokémon with most of the video games being 00’s, it’s time on Kids WB and Cartoon Network being mostly 00’s, and the cards being mostly 00’s.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/06/19 at 3:48 pm

pokemon was popular in 99, its a late 90s thing

You want to know what else was popular in 1999? Spongebob Squarepants, which also has a lot of debates with only the first 3 seasons up until the movie in 2004 being the peak of the series popularity. A lot like Pokémon with the era of Ash, Misty, and Brock from 1998-2003.

Written By: musicguy93 on 03/06/19 at 9:18 pm

I see where you're coming from, but I still disagree. Firstly, we need to distinguish between when a T.V. show debuts and when it becomes successful. Yes, the Ocean Dub DBZ did debut in the U.S. in 1996. However, due to low ratings, it was cancelled in 1998. Most people don't even realize that DBZ didn't first air on Toonami. When they re-aired the Saiyan and Namek saga on Toonami in 1998-1999, it was starting to become more successful  Now I have a list of DBZ's ratings on Toonami: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Z#Ratings. According to this, the premiere of Season 3 (Frieza saga) in 1999, it was the "highest rated program" on Cartoon Network. However, fast forwarding to September 22, 2002, there is something very interesting. DBZ was actually the number #1 program of that particular week. This was around the time the Fusion Saga first aired. I also think that the reruns of the Saiyan-Frieza saga that took place around that time also helped the ratings. For newer fans who wanted to see the show from the beginning, they had the chance to, through those reruns.

There's also some info on the DBZ VHS tapes entering the billboard charts in the early 2000s. The video tapes were particularly successful because they had both edited and uncut versions. Now, there are some interesting things about the tapes. Some of them had episodes that would not air for another several months, while others were delayed for a few months or even years. http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11569. According to this, the last few Cell Games tapes didn't come out until 2003. Now I know the tapes may not seem like much, but they were the only way to watch the show uncut at the time. Now you said that DBZ's popularity died off when it finished airing in 2003 and that it wasn't shown on T.V. in 2004. This is not technically true. While it wouldn't show anymore new (well new in America episodes of DBZ, Toonami would show continual reruns until 2008, when the original Toonami block ended. Now, I don't have much info on the ratings of these reruns, but I'm willing to bet they were high. Never underestimate the power of reruns, which can rake in new fans who didn't have the luxury to see an episode when it first aired. As for the 2005 uncut version of DBZ "not feeling the same", that's a matter of opinion. Again, I don't really have much info on the ratings of DBZ Uncut, but I'm willing to bet they were high. Not to mention the slew of DBZ merchandise that came out in the early-mid 2000s. I mean, look at how successful the first 3 Budokai games (2002-2004) were.

To be honest, the Dragon Ball series as a whole is one that really transcended time periods. That's it never really declined in popularity like Pokemon (the show I mean). For that reason I wouldn't consider DBZ a "90s thing" or a "00s thing".

That being said, I agree with pretty much everything else you've said.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/07/19 at 1:20 am

^ That's a nice perspective there musicguy. Yeah, when both Sailor Moon and DBZ premiered on syndication Saturday Mornings in the mid 90's, both of those weren't that popular at all, those didn't really gain popularity until entering the Toonami lineup on CN in 1998. DBZ was only on CN once in early 2004 for a marathon, other than that 2004 was mostly a DBGT year. In fact, late 2003 is when DBGT replaced DBZ on Toonami. So from late 2003-early 2005 there was practically no DBZ on the lineup. I watched CN a lot in elementary school and I remember myself. I loved DBZ Uncut in 2005 and 2006, but the height of the series was still the Funamation dub era from 1999-2003. It's not a knockoff or anything, as a kid I didn't care what dub or what version I watched.

Written By: JackSepton on 03/07/19 at 2:34 am

You want to know what else was popular in 1999? Spongebob Squarepants, which also has a lot of debates with only the first 3 seasons up until the movie in 2004 being the peak of the series popularity. A lot like Pokémon with the era of Ash, Misty, and Brock from 1998-2003.

you were barely alive in 99

Written By: SpyroKev on 03/07/19 at 8:50 am

you were barely alive in 99

Irrelevant to the topic.

Written By: musicguy93 on 03/09/19 at 6:45 pm

^ That's a nice perspective there musicguy. Yeah, when both Sailor Moon and DBZ premiered on syndication Saturday Mornings in the mid 90's, both of those weren't that popular at all, those didn't really gain popularity until entering the Toonami lineup on CN in 1998. DBZ was only on CN once in early 2004 for a marathon, other than that 2004 was mostly a DBGT year. In fact, late 2003 is when DBGT replaced DBZ on Toonami. So from late 2003-early 2005 there was practically no DBZ on the lineup. I watched CN a lot in elementary school and I remember myself. I loved DBZ Uncut in 2005 and 2006, but the height of the series was still the Funamation dub era from 1999-2003. It's not a knockoff or anything, as a kid I didn't care what dub or what version I watched.

Ah, you were right about the late 2003-early 2005 line-up thing. That's when DBGT was airing, now I remember. I could have sworn that I saw DBZ on T.V. in 2004, but that might have actually been 2003, or the marathon that aired in early 2004.

Written By: musicguy93 on 03/09/19 at 6:49 pm

Back on the topic of 2000s anime, there was Samurai 7, which was adapted from the Kurosawa film, Seven Samurai (which in turn was adapted from The Magnificent Seven). I don't think it was ever particularly popular, but it definitely had a 2000s anime vibe:

TrccvQSqAV8

Written By: SpyroKev on 03/11/19 at 9:33 pm

Back on the topic of 2000s anime, there was Samurai 7, which was adapted from the Kurosawa film, Seven Samurai (which in turn was adapted from The Magnificent Seven). I don't think it was ever particularly popular, but it definitely had a 2000s anime vibe:

TrccvQSqAV8

Ghost In The Shell is exceptionally 2000s. Eureka Seven was basically just as popular but feels completely 2000s. Spirited Away is just a anime movie but it still feels incredibly 2000s.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/02/19 at 12:47 am

Cory in the House.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/02/19 at 3:24 am

I'm going with Death Note.

Check for new replies or respond here...