inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you think YouTube will become obsolete?

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/06/19 at 6:05 pm

Given that YT grows more commercialized, do you think people will eventually get fed up and leave? With all the sponsors that use YT, they continue to put more and more restrictions on what people can post. This is obviously very different from the originals platform it once was. I remember a couple years ago, many YouTubers wanted to boycott but couldn't get their subscribers to migrate to another website. YT is still extremely powerful right now but with the direction their going, do you think people will actually begin to boycott YT and leave the platform? Do you think it will make it to the end of the next decade?

Subject: Re: Do you think YouTube will become obsolete?

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/06/19 at 6:10 pm

I think YT will eventually pull an MTV and change direction. Maybe become a streaming service or something.

Written By: Dundee on 03/06/19 at 8:40 pm

Well it's already a streaming site since it offers streaming services lol

It has a chance of becoming obsolete once an alternative grows more popular, otherwise this won't happen anytime soon.

Written By: SpyroKev on 03/06/19 at 8:56 pm

Instagram can potentially replace YouTube if it transcend to desktop.

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/06/19 at 9:14 pm

Well it's already a streaming site since it offers streaming services lol

It has a chance of becoming obsolete once an alternative grows more popular, otherwise this won't happen anytime soon.

Yeah, but I'm talking about becoming a full blown streaming service.

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/06/19 at 9:15 pm

Instagram can potentially replace YouTube if it transcend to desktop.

I really hope that never happens.  8-P

Written By: 2001 on 03/06/19 at 9:41 pm

While content creators might have a lot to complain about, if their viewers are still on YouTube, then it's not going anywhere. This was perfectly exemplified when everyone's favourite YouTuber Pewdiepie threatened to leave YouTube unless his demands were met, but YouTube called his bluff and he is still making YouTube videos.

Besides, even if there was a new site, it would-be plagued with the same problem of sponsors threatening to leave unless catered to, which would eventually turn it into another YouTube in the long run.

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/07/19 at 7:44 am

A lot of people who are fed up with restrictions are going to other sites with less rigid copyright restrictions. Dailymotion has been around almost as long as YouTube has (it also started in 2005), but its still practical since it doesn't give copyright strikes that can terminate accounts, all it does is remove videos if someome wants such a similar takedown. It is increasingly frustrating though on YT, in particular the use of songs in videos. It used to be that if at least 30 seconds of a song and/or video was used, it was ripe for a block or takedown, but recently, that has been shortened to 15 seconds, meaning that a lot of long-standing videos have been blocked due to this revision.

But YouTube is here for at least the foreseeable future, its things like Blu-Ray and traditional cable TV models that are far more likely to become obsolete in the next decade. For instance, Blockbuster has just one store remaining as of today (in Bend, Oregon) while many stores have scaled back on their offerings of even Blu-Ray products as most people are content with digital copies. That said, the biggest risk for YT to die out is if individual networks start promoting their own streaming services more and thus having sponsors flee YT for support. In this case, you'd just go to HBO.com, subscribe, and then log in and just like in the traditional days, you've got a subscription to their services. This is due to many people preferring "pay for channel" as opposed to bundles which consist of hundreds of channels, of which many aren't too interested in.

Written By: SpyroKev on 03/07/19 at 9:06 am

I really hope that never happens.  8-P

You might just be judging the concept too soon. I think Instagram can be a lit alternate when you look at the video side of it, I seen classic DBZ and uploads of classic music videos. A desktop version of Instagram can potentially start to mimic with some change and follow YouTube's gimmick in its classic layout, it also sort of reviving Myspace.

At some point, you will only use YouTube for music, bruh.

Written By: Howard on 03/07/19 at 3:05 pm

I think YT will eventually pull an MTV and change direction. Maybe become a streaming service or something.

I hope YouTube will still be free?  :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/07/19 at 3:06 pm

I hope YouTube will still be free?  :(
With less ads to watch!

Written By: Howard on 03/07/19 at 3:49 pm

With less ads to watch!

They cut down on them.

Written By: SpyroKev on 03/07/19 at 9:37 pm

What makes YouTube so powerful, the name of the site its self is so established. Your extremely used to it. It feels like a long time friend. For YouTube to be replaced, will take extreme creativity and cleverly, I think the site replacing it will even need to take inspiration from it, like a jab to it. If I were to name it, I'd named the site simply just "Broadcast Yourself"

I think to beat YouTube, you gotta act as a more direct rival or jab to it.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/07/19 at 9:48 pm

I agree. YouTube is our generation's Music Television. Similar to how MTV was in its prime in both popularity & quality in the 1980s & early 1990s when they showed purely music videos & music related content, is similar to how the the prime in both popularity & quality for YT was in the 2000s & early 2010s when the platform wasn't as corporatized & censored. YT truly felt like the 'wild west' back in the Late 2000s, in a good way. There was a lot more autonomy YouTubers had back then, which led to better quality of content. Theres a reason why YouTubers like Smosh, Shane Dawson, Jenna Marbles, Phil Defranco, among others, are still very beloved in the community & within the larger internet community at large.

Written By: Howard on 03/08/19 at 7:35 am

What makes YouTube so powerful, the name of the site its self is so established. Your extremely used to it. It feels like a long time friend. For YouTube to be replaced, will take extreme creativity and cleverly, I think the site replacing it will even need to take inspiration from it, like a jab to it. If I were to name it, I'd named the site simply just "Broadcast Yourself"

I think to beat YouTube, you gotta act as a more direct rival or jab to it.

and someone will have to pay really big bucks to get rid of YouTube.

Written By: SpyroKev on 03/08/19 at 9:54 am

and someone will have to pay really big bucks to get rid of YouTube.

You don't need to. You just come up with a potential rival to it.

Written By: Howard on 03/08/19 at 2:30 pm

You don't need to. You just come up with a potential rival to it.

I don't think anyone will rival YouTube, next year it will celebrate 15 years.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 03/08/19 at 10:42 pm

As a Youtuber, I really hope not. Lots of YouTubers like I do, ranging from vloggers, to gamers, to tech channels, to music/dance channels, and much more, put a lot of effort into their videos, and YouTube is what helped made searching video easy, and it also inspired a lot of people to show their passion and what they love doing. Even though there have been slip ups here and there with demonetization and ad problems, YouTube is what helped some people be creative, and escape their personal issues, and all social media platforms aren’t perfect- Keep that in mind. Sad to say, it will be one day, but lets just enjoy this moment while it lasts, because creating YouTube videos is my passion and motivation to push forward, as it helped me escape depression and anxiety. I really hope it doesn’t become obsolete for at least 5 more years.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 03/09/19 at 12:49 am

As a Youtuber, I really hope not. Lots of YouTubers like I do, ranging from vloggers, to gamers, to tech channels, to music/dance channels, and much more, put a lot of effort into their videos, and YouTube is what helped made searching video easy, and it also inspired a lot of people to show their passion and what they love doing. Even though there have been slip ups here and there with demonetization and ad problems, YouTube is what helped some people be creative, and escape their personal issues, and all social media platforms aren’t perfect- Keep that in mind. Sad to say, it will be one day, but lets just enjoy this moment while it lasts, because creating YouTube videos is my passion and motivation to push forward, as it helped me escape depression and anxiety. I really hope it doesn’t become obsolete for at least 5 more years.
True hopefully there will be a viable alternative. Looks like igtv has some  promise to it.

Written By: #Infinity on 03/10/19 at 9:12 pm

YouTube continues to survive because of its utility as a convenient way to keep up with trends and the news, but its influence as a source of popular original content has gone badly downhill since its golden period around the start of the decade.

Written By: Howard on 03/11/19 at 5:30 am

I think YouTube will continue to survive for as long as it can.

Written By: SmartBo1 on 03/13/19 at 12:01 am

YouTube will definitely crash and burn someday, but that probably won't be for another 10-20 years.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/19 at 5:26 am

YouTube will definitely crash and burn someday, but that probably won't be for another 10-20 years.
Unregulated it will!

Written By: SmartBo1 on 03/13/19 at 10:43 am

Unregulated it will!

YouTube is already heavily regulated. In fact, some have argued that YouTube's regulations will be its downfall.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/19 at 11:18 am

YouTube is already heavily regulated. In fact, some have argued that YouTube's regulations will be its downfall.
True, you just do not want to see the wrong things online!

Written By: Howard on 03/13/19 at 2:41 pm

right now YouTube has over 2 million hits.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/19 at 2:42 pm

right now YouTube has over 2 million hits.
A day?

Written By: Howard on 03/13/19 at 3:33 pm

A day?

I may have to check.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/19 at 3:54 pm

I may have to check.
Please do.

Written By: Howard on 03/14/19 at 3:01 pm

The total number of people who use YouTube – 1,300,000,000. 300 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute! Almost 5 billion videos are watched on YouTube every single day. YouTube gets over 30 million visitors per day.

This might be false cause this was taken a year and a half ago.

Written By: 2001 on 03/14/19 at 5:38 pm

The total number of people who use YouTube – 1,300,000,000. 300 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute! Almost 5 billion videos are watched on YouTube every single day. YouTube gets over 30 million visitors per day.

I thought it would have received way more than 30 million.

Written By: Howard on 03/15/19 at 8:03 am

I thought it would have received way more than 30 million.

It was from a news website but I believe the numbers are much higher by now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/15/19 at 11:59 am

Some of the 30 million visitors, can easily be the same person viewing several times?

Written By: Howard on 03/15/19 at 12:22 pm

Some of the 30 million visitors, can easily be the same person viewing several times?

I think the number is much higher than 30 million.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/15/19 at 3:13 pm

I think the number is much higher than 30 million.
I would like to know the approx. figure.

Written By: cowboy on 03/15/19 at 4:36 pm

I miss the real vloggers, now many are obviously  groomed from the beginning to do marketing.

Written By: Howard on 03/16/19 at 2:06 pm

I would like to know the approx. figure.

I'm still looking into it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/17/19 at 11:37 am

I'm still looking into it.
Are you still looking? :D

Written By: Howard on 04/17/19 at 1:35 pm

Are you still looking? :D

From what I was reading YouTube has about:

27.5M

YouTube Creators

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/17/19 at 1:52 pm

From what I was reading YouTube has about:

27.5M

YouTube Creators

O0

Written By: 2012emo on 04/17/19 at 3:06 pm

it's the most visited site after google, so i doubt it unless some apocalyptic event happens that causes the internet itself to become obsolete :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/17/19 at 3:10 pm

it's the most visited site after google, so i doubt it unless some apocalyptic event happens that causes the internet itself to become obsolete :P
I would think there are certain websites that are visited more.  ::)

Written By: 2012emo on 04/17/19 at 3:13 pm

I would think there are certain websites that are visited more.  ::)

not really https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_popular_websites

Written By: Howard on 04/18/19 at 7:33 am

Just as long as YouTube is making money, It won't, hopefully not for a long time.

Check for new replies or respond here...