inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Young people who know older songs and other cultural references

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 04/13/19 at 3:40 am

I've been on a railway engineering course for the past two months through the job centre recently and have been working closely with the other men on that course.

As such, we have had a lot of time together in the classroom where we have bantered and got to know each other.

There is this guy who is 20 on it who knew the words to "ghetto superstar" by Mýa and "Skater boy" by Avril Lavigne, among other songs and cultural icons that I can't immediately recall right now.

It got me wondering how much longer this can go on as this guy is only 20 so 10 years ago he would have been 10, back when those songs were out he would have been a very early toddler or even not born in the case of Ghetto Superstar.

Soon the young adults won't know stuff anymore and it will be gone from their consciousness forever.

Subject: Re: Young people who know older songs and other cultural references

Written By: Dundee on 04/13/19 at 6:20 am

Do some seriously think that people only know of songs released during their life time? Lol

Written By: shadowcookie on 04/13/19 at 7:34 am

Do some seriously think that people only know of songs released during their life time? Lol

Agreed. Why do people have to go and make things so complicated?!

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/13/19 at 7:44 am

I've been on a railway engineering course for the past two months through the job centre recently and have been working closely with the other men on that course.

As such, we have had a lot of time together in the classroom where we have bantered and got to know each other.

There is this guy who is 20 on it who knew the words to "ghetto superstar" by Mýa and "Skater boy" by Avril Lavigne, among other songs and cultural icons that I can't immediately recall right now.

It got me wondering how much longer this can go on as this guy is only 20 so 10 years ago he would have been 10, back when those songs were out he would have been a very early toddler or even not born in the case of Ghetto Superstar.

Soon the young adults won't know stuff anymore and it will be gone from their consciousness forever.

I don't understand the last sentence of the post at all.  "Soon the young adults won't know stuff anymore and it will be gone from their consciousness forever." What does this mean? If a young person likes a song from ten years ago then they won't know anything and all their consciousness will drain away? Very puzzling.  ???

Written By: karen on 04/13/19 at 10:41 am

It's called educating your children (or forcing them to listen to your music, whether they like it or not!)

My kids are age 20 and 17 and they can recognise tracks such as She Sells Sanctuary by the opening bar.  Yesterday we entered the shopping centre to hear Time of Your Life playing.  My kids decided in the end that singing along with me was less embarrassing than trying to deny they knew me!

Written By: Howard on 04/13/19 at 2:03 pm

That may be true, some songs are etched in our minds just as long as we can remember the lyrics to them.

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 04/13/19 at 6:14 pm

When I saw the title of this post, I thought, maybe it was going to ask about Gen Zers knowing the Beatles or Bob Dylan or Nirvana or Frank Sinatra or Elvis or something like that.  Or if they've seen Casablanca, Citizen Kane, The Third Man, or something.

There is absolutely nothing unusual about knowing or liking stuff from the first two decades of your life.  In fact, it's normal; there've actually been scientific studies about this.

I was a 20-year-old college student in 1986.  What did we listen to?  Mostly music from the 1960s, 70s and 80s.

We listened to lots of "old" music: The Beatles, Dylan, Rolling Stones, Supremes, Peter Paul & Mary, Beach Boys, Jackson 5, The Who, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Janice Joplin, Judy Collins, Joni Mitchell, Grateful Dead, CSNY, Led Zeppelin,  Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, Jefferson Airplane, The Guess Who, Cream, Traffic, Yes, Genesis, AC/DC, Fleetwood Mac, Supertramp, Elton John, Steve Miller Band, David Bowie, Tom Petty, Queen, ELP, ELO.  Just to name a SMALL sample.

Popular albums included The Yes Album and Fragile by Yes (1971), Close to the Edge (1972),  A Trick of the Tail (1977),  The Beatles (White Album) (1968), In Search of the Lost Chord (1968), Dark Side of the Moon (1973), Dreamboat Annie (1975), Pieces of Eight (1978), After the Gold Rush (1970), Tommy (1969), Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, which was nearly 20 years old at that time.  Just to name a few.

You also seem to think this is some kind of bad thing, but I'm having a hard time following your logic.

My guess is that you think people have a very finite amount of storage space in their brains for memory?  You think that young people need to keep their minds empty, to "conserve space" for all the stuff they're supposed to learn in the future?  Well, at least anecdotally, this is false.  Many of my classmates went on to grad school, law school, medical school and got their Masters or PhDs or MDs, became scientists and engineers.

In India they train boys from a young age to become pandits.  They are able to recite, from memory, more than 100,000 lines of scripture!

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/a-neuroscientist-explores-the-sanskrit-effect/

So, don't worry that people in your class will "max out" their "mental hard drives".  There's lots more space in there.

Written By: GuapitoChico on 04/14/19 at 8:49 am

You gotta consider how long the songs remained popular, not just when they were released.

I was only around 3 years old when Linkin Park's "Hybrid Theory" (2000) album was released, yet I know many of the songs by heart because it was still relevant and popular in the late 00s, when I was in middle school.
Or like how "Mambo No. 5" (1999) was released when I was 2, but I know it because I'd often hear it on the car radio and Looney Tunes TV commercials up until around 2004.

Written By: Howard on 04/14/19 at 4:01 pm

So what about the older folks?

Written By: fgbn on 04/14/19 at 5:18 pm

he wouldve been 3/4 when skater boy came out, thats not a toddler

by the way this is not a new phenonema, i sure knew alot of lyrics to various 80s songs back when i was a teen

Check for new replies or respond here...