inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you feel that you missed out on you're young adult years

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 04/24/19 at 10:20 am

I am watching the TV series "Skins" at the moment. To give you some background it was a British TV series that focused on the lives of young adults

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skins_%28UK_TV_series%29

I remember watching it at the time and wishing that my life was somewhat resembling theirs. Obviously people (especially old people) would point out it was fiction and most teens lives are boring but at least a semblance of interaction with people my age (especially of the female variety) would have been nice.

It's very hard for me to believe that it was all over 10 years ago. All those actors would be nearing 30 now. But the "youth culture" is still very much the same, just for a different generation. The current youth culture has lasted over 10 years.

I guess that's why I hang around these boards, because that 00s atmosphere represents my youth that I never had.

Subject: Re: Do you feel that you missed out on you're young adult years

Written By: annimal on 04/24/19 at 10:42 am

Hello from Neverland.  I have no idea what a young adult is nor an adult

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/28/19 at 8:42 am

When I was a 'young adult', because of work duties and not having a television of my own, I missed on the Punk Age of the 1970s.

Written By: duenas8 on 04/29/19 at 12:18 am

I am watching the TV series "Skins" at the moment. To give you some background it was a British TV series that focused on the lives of young adults

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skins_%28UK_TV_series%29

I remember watching it at the time and wishing that my life was somewhat resembling theirs. Obviously people (especially old people) would point out it was fiction and most teens lives are boring but at least a semblance of interaction with people my age (especially of the female variety) would have been nice.

It's very hard for me to believe that it was all over 10 years ago. All those actors would be nearing 30 now. But the "youth culture" is still very much the same, just for a different generation. The current youth culture has lasted over 10 years.

I guess that's why I hang around these boards, because that 00s atmosphere represents my youth that I never had.

You have a good point. Since the 90s, teenagers have been impacted with the same styles, specially grunge and hip hop. Since then, clothing and most of music genres are just a variation of both, so a 2019 teenager doesn’t look so different than a 2009 one

I made a Skins thread a while ago, if you’re interested
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=57904.msg3711902#msg3711902

Written By: 2001 on 05/01/19 at 4:48 pm

I could have done some things differently but overall they were wholesome. I read back on the journal I kept in 2010-2012 and 2014-2015 and I feel happy and dare I say nostalgic, so I think I did good. I'm still 26 though so maybe I shouldn't be commenting on this topic ;D

Written By: shadowcookie on 05/01/19 at 5:18 pm

You have a good point. Since the 90s, teenagers have been impacted with the same styles, specially grunge and hip hop. Since then, clothing and most of music genres are just a variation of both, so a 2019 teenager doesn’t look so different than a 2009 one

I made a Skins thread a while ago, if you’re interested
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=57904.msg3711902#msg3711902

Those Skins pictures definitely don’t resemble 2019 at all to me. They look very much like the late 2000s.

Written By: wixness on 05/01/19 at 5:36 pm

I feel like that I did miss out on this. I've never watched Skins and have never been interested in it, since TV has generally appeared to be gender conforming enough to not capture my interest in it, especially in the case of live action shows. I like being able to talk to fandoms in my currently young adult years, and play with people as well, but I wish I were a teenager or a young adult in the 2000s.

I don't like the music and fashion of this decade, and to some extent, the culture. The music is bland or sounds poorly arranged (I don't really listen to classical for unrelated reasons, if you thought I did) and lacks edge, and the fashion looks gender conforming, with guys wearing their hair short again. Much of 2010s pop culture has felt alienating to me in that regard, and I would like it to stay that way as well.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/01/19 at 5:39 pm

I do not think I have ever watch "Skins".

Check for new replies or respond here...