inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Looking Back at 2000

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/08/19 at 10:08 am

As most of you have probably calculated, 2000 will be hitting it's 20th anniversary next year. For many of us, the notion of this year being 20 years ago is amazing, but this anniversary does present the opportunity for us to look back at a pretty awesome era.

Back during 2000 I was 12 years old, at least early during the year. I was basically at the absolute peak of my youth. For the most part, it was still pretty much the '90s. DVD players were still a luxury and VHS dominated. The 6th generation of gaming was heavily anticipated, but the 5th gen was still the primary focus. Mobile phones were getting to be more common, but still not something most kids had. We talk to our buddies on landline phones, with our younger siblings usually picking up the other phone and listening to our conversations. We went to video stores and bought movies. Early that year, my parents finally got online with our brand new Compaq Presario computer, and even though we only had a 28k connection, it was still epic.

There wasn't any social media, so we actually went over to our buddies houses to hang out. We would play a little Playstation, then watch Toonami before turning over to watch if the Backstreet Boys were at the top of the TRL countdown. On Monday, we watched WWF Raw. Cartoon Network was at it's absolute peak, and Nick still had most of it's most popular shows still producing new content.

Being a kid was quite a bit easier than it is these days. Since there wasn't any social media, if you did something at school that got you made fun of, it would be forgotten after a few days and everybody would move on, unlike this era when every mistake you make is documented online for the world to watch.

As you can tell, I'm pretty nostalgic for 2000. Let's take a look back at the major stuff of that year, and check out how many of these things you can recall.

Y2K is celebrated across the globe.
AOL merges with TW.
The Beanie Baby fad peaks.
The U.S. government goes after Microsoft.
The Elian Gonzalez controversy.
Hillary Clinton campaigns for U.S. Senate.
The Dot-Com Boom peaks.
The hype over Pokemon: The Movie 2000.
Top video games are Pokemon Gold and Silver, Final Fantasy IX, Spyro: Year of the Dragon, Mario Party 2 and Banjo Tooie to name a few.
Top movies are Mission: Impossible 2, Meet the Parents and X-Men to name a few.
Top groups are Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, Limp Bizkit, and Creed to name a few.
Top new shows are The Gilmore Girls, My Wife and Kids, Yes, Dear and Survivor to name a few.
The launch of the Playstation 2.
The return of Stone Cold Steve Austin to help The Rock beat Triple H for the WWF championship.
The Pokemon Trading Card Game, Toonami and Digimon being at the peak of their popularity.
HDTV being a new thing that only the elite had access to.
The controversial election of George W. Bush.

Subject: Re: Looking Back at 2000

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/08/19 at 10:40 am

Don't forget how stuff was branded 2000 this or 2000 that.  :D

The beanie baby fad I say peaked more in 1999. Boy bands peaked in 2000.

Social media wasn't a thing, but desktop messengers were popular with AIM and YIM being used more. Also the plethora of chat rooms to check out on just about every website you went on, especially those news/search engines like Yahoo and MSN. Email forwards were big especially among teens long before memes became a thing.

Mobile phones sometimes came with covers on the front you could switch out for decorative ones.

Portable CD players were the way to listen to music on the go and they skipped like crazy on bumpy rides.  ;D

Dell and Compaq were popular computer brands seen in households.

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 06/08/19 at 11:01 am

I remember the airing of Gundam: Wing on Cartoon Network kind of led to the explosion of anime in North America. Anime was growing before this, but this show is what burst open the doors and led to so many others gaining fans outside Japan. So that, in 2000, helped set the cultural tone of the 2000s and beyond.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/08/19 at 11:48 am

Don't forget how stuff was branded 2000 this or 2000 that.  :D

The beanie baby fad I say peaked more in 1999. Boy bands peaked in 2000.

Social media wasn't a thing, but desktop messengers were popular with AIM and YIM being used more. Also the plethora of chat rooms to check out on just about every website you went on, especially those news/search engines like Yahoo and MSN. Email forwards were big especially among teens long before memes became a thing.

Mobile phones sometimes came with covers on the front you could switch out for decorative ones.

Portable CD players were the way to listen to music on the go and they skipped like crazy on bumpy rides.  ;D

Dell and Compaq were popular computer brands seen in households.

Yeah, the Beanie Baby fad probably did peak overall around 1999. Everybody around here was still collecting throughout 2000, but later that year is probably when everybody started to notice they actually weren't worth that much.

Yahoo and AOL Messenger were big around 2000, but not so much where I come from because there were actually still quite a few kids here that didn't have online access as late as 2000. When we got it around early 2000, probably about half of the guys I hung out with didn't have it yet.

When we got our new computer by the way, it cost almost $2000, even though it wasn't much better back then than what a standard $500 computer would be these days.

I remember the airing of Gundam: Wing on Cartoon Network kind of led to the explosion of anime in North America. Anime was growing before this, but this show is what burst open the doors and led to so many others gaining fans outside Japan. So that, in 2000, helped set the cultural tone of the 2000s and beyond.

Yeah, anime took off around 2000 like it hadn't before across the U.S., mostly thanks to Toonami. I hadn't every even heard of anime until I watched DBZ originally a few years before.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/08/19 at 4:43 pm

As most of you have probably calculated, 2000 will be hitting it's 20th anniversary next year. For many of us, the notion of this year being 20 years ago is amazing, but this anniversary does present the opportunity for us to look back at a pretty awesome era.

Back during 2000 I was 12 years old, at least early during the year. I was basically at the absolute peak of my youth. For the most part, it was still pretty much the '90s. DVD players were still a luxury and VHS dominated. The 6th generation of gaming was heavily anticipated, but the 5th gen was still the primary focus. Mobile phones were getting to be more common, but still not something most kids had. We talk to our buddies on landline phones, with our younger siblings usually picking up the other phone and listening to our conversations. We went to video stores and bought movies. Early that year, my parents finally got online with our brand new Compaq Presario computer, and even though we only had a 28k connection, it was still epic.

There wasn't any social media, so we actually went over to our buddies houses to hang out. We would play a little Playstation, then watch Toonami before turning over to watch if the Backstreet Boys were at the top of the TRL countdown. On Monday, we watched WWF Raw. Cartoon Network was at it's absolute peak, and Nick still had most of it's most popular shows still producing new content.

Being a kid was quite a bit easier than it is these days. Since there wasn't any social media, if you did something at school that got you made fun of, it would be forgotten after a few days and everybody would move on, unlike this era when every mistake you make is documented online for the world to watch.

As you can tell, I'm pretty nostalgic for 2000. Let's take a look back at the major stuff of that year, and check out how many of these things you can recall.

Y2K is celebrated across the globe.
AOL merges with TW.
The Beanie Baby fad peaks.
The U.S. government goes after Microsoft.
The Elian Gonzalez controversy.
Hillary Clinton campaigns for U.S. Senate.
The Dot-Com Boom peaks.
The hype over Pokemon: The Movie 2000.
Top video games are Pokemon Gold and Silver, Final Fantasy IX, Spyro: Year of the Dragon, Mario Party 2 and Banjo Tooie to name a few.
Top movies are Mission: Impossible 2, Meet the Parents and X-Men to name a few.
Top groups are Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, Limp Bizkit, and Creed to name a few.
Top new shows are The Gilmore Girls, My Wife and Kids, Yes, Dear and Survivor to name a few.
The launch of the Playstation 2.
The return of Stone Cold Steve Austin to help The Rock beat Triple H for the WWF championship.
The Pokemon Trading Card Game, Toonami and Digimon being at the peak of their popularity.
HDTV being a new thing that only the elite had access to.
The controversial election of George W. Bush.
Just hearing your stories make me wish i was old enough to experience 2000. I was only 4 that year so my memories of 2000 is very foggy. I do remember wrestling being big since my cousin, my older nephew and sister was into it at the time. I remember my older nephew (the 88 born i mentioned on popedia) had a raw is war ring at the time.  I do think being a kid in 00 was definitely  simpler as you stated with social media but  thats majorty of the 00s since social media didn't really took off till the very of the decade (besides Myspace). I think 00 being a pre-9/11 yr, pre texting era, pre online gaming era (minus Dreamcast) and pre broadnand era made it feel much more nostalgic  even in the early 10s when the 90s nostalgia was at its peak many would include the year 2000 because of how strongly connected it was to the late 90s.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/09/19 at 3:41 am

I remember 2000. I was 5 but it was when I first started Kindergarten and I remember everyone like my brother and his friends were into trading Pokémon cards and that looked very cool to me. I actually remember the premiere of Britney Spears' music video "Oops I did it again" there was a program on TV counting down for the new music video on MuchMusic. And I remember I liked playing math games on our old white CRT computer which was still on Windows 98. A very "dreamy" year looking back like it was another world. It was like the start of my core childhood, I refuse to place it with the '90s like many people do. It was solidly 2000s, with that Y2K / Early 2000s XTreme vibe.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/09/19 at 9:10 am

Just hearing your stories make me wish i was old enough to experience 2000. I was only 4 that year so my memories of 2000 is very foggy.

Same, it's really the last FULL year for me when I still feel like I was developing a lot before my memories crystallized throughout 2001. I remember 2001 MUCH better than 2000 that's for sure. I hate that I didn't get to experience 2000 pop culturally, but thankfully I got to experience the epic vibe of 2002.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/09/19 at 12:09 pm

Same, it's really the last FULL year for me when I still feel like I was developing a lot before my memories crystallized throughout 2001. I remember 2001 MUCH better than 2000 that's for sure. I hate that I didn't get to experience 2000 pop culturally, but thankfully I got to experience the epic vibe of 2002.

That's like me with 1999. I remember 1999 but very faintly. It's more of a blur. I think for everyone around 5 years old (start of core childhood) memories crystallize. But 2000, I can tell you in detail how my first day of kindergarten went.

To be honest if you remember 2001 2000 is not that different. But coming to the new year is pretty big. I remember New Years 1999 but didn't know the significance of it.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/09/19 at 12:25 pm

That's like me with 1999. I remember 1999 but very faintly. It's more of a blur. I think for everyone around 5 years old (start of core childhood) memories crystallize. But 2000, I can tell you in detail how my first day of kindergarten went.

To be honest if you remember 2001 2000 is not that different. But coming to the new year is pretty big. I remember New Years 1999 but didn't know the significance of it.

2001 is the first full year I remember crystal clearly in general. Like you, I remember the first day of Kindergarten very clearly and how it was the first time I was surrounded by a lot of white kids.  ;D

2002 is the first full year I was participating in a lot of pop culture for kids. I started building lego toys and collecting hot wheels cars in 2002. I was full swing into kid networks like CN and Toon Disney in 2002 (which I started in late 2001). I learned all my multiplication tables in 2002 and started reading on a 2nd grade level despite only being in 1st grade at the time (my elementary school made reading tougher for us). That's part of the reason why my memories are clearer in 2002 it's because of how much I learned throughout that year. When 2001 started I didn't even have enough knowledge to learn basic words yet.

1999 and 2000 are just my early preschool memories combined with playing with my cousins in my family when we were toddlers, and I remember how the old houses used to look before 2001, and how different my hometown was back in 1999 and 2000 when we went to the old Walmart, old Kroger, and old Publix when the ceiling was further down and the way the aisles were built differently (90's style). There's 2 major things about 2000 I remember the most, the 2000's glasses (I had a pair of my own when I was 4) and Who Let The Dogs Out being played over and over again. When a couple of my cousins moved to Mississippi in 2000, I hated it, I felt the emotion of that when I was 4, and when I visited Mississippi in Spring 2001 I was so excited to see them again.

Written By: Howard on 06/09/19 at 2:19 pm

What happened in politics?

Written By: nally on 06/09/19 at 2:22 pm

What happened in politics?

One of the closest pres elections ever.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 06/09/19 at 7:26 pm

2001 is the first full year I remember crystal clearly in general. Like you, I remember the first day of Kindergarten very clearly and how it was the first time I was surrounded by a lot of white kids.  ;D

2002 is the first full year I was participating in a lot of pop culture for kids. I started building lego toys and collecting hot wheels cars in 2002. I was full swing into kid networks like CN and Toon Disney in 2002 (which I started in late 2001). I learned all my multiplication tables in 2002 and started reading on a 2nd grade level despite only being in 1st grade at the time (my elementary school made reading tougher for us). That's part of the reason why my memories are clearer in 2002 it's because of how much I learned throughout that year. When 2001 started I didn't even have enough knowledge to learn basic words yet.

1999 and 2000 are just my early preschool memories combined with playing with my cousins in my family when we were toddlers, and I remember how the old houses used to look before 2001, and how different my hometown was back in 1999 and 2000 when we went to the old Walmart, old Kroger, and old Publix when the ceiling was further down and the way the aisles were built differently (90's style). There's 2 major things about 2000 I remember the most, the 2000's glasses (I had a pair of my own when I was 4) and Who Let The Dogs Out being played over and over again. When a couple of my cousins moved to Mississippi in 2000, I hated it, I felt the emotion of that when I was 4, and when I visited Mississippi in Spring 2001 I was so excited to see them again.

Ditto. Although for me, my memories began to crystalize in Late 2000 as I was 4 going on 5. I remember Christmas 2000 like it was yesterday. I also remembeR beginning to r participate in many of the kid trends of the early 2000s in Late 2000, such as collecting Pokemon cards and being obsessed with Kids WB :D.

Written By: 2001 on 06/09/19 at 8:31 pm

Pokémon Stadium and Pokémon Gold

Written By: Emman on 06/10/19 at 1:43 am

I was in high school in 2000, that might very well be the best year of my life, and yes it was still very similar to the '90s.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/10/19 at 1:55 am

and yes it was still very similar to the '90s.

No it wasn't. 2000 was a 2000s year culturally, not '90s at all.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/10/19 at 2:09 am

O0

It said 2000 for that year on my calendar,

Written By: Emman on 06/10/19 at 2:14 am

It was basically a clone of 1999 ;D minus the popularity of Ricky Martin, it wasn't the grungy '90s but it was still pop culture wise late '90s.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/10/19 at 2:48 am

Ditto. Although for me, my memories began to crystalize in Late 2000 as I was 4 going on 5. I remember Christmas 2000 like it was yesterday. I also remembeR beginning to r participate in many of the kid trends of the early 2000s in Late 2000, such as collecting Pokemon cards and being obsessed with Kids WB :D.
Dang yall have good early childhood memories. My memory of 2001 was still kinda foggy but i remember my first day of kindergarten, summer of 01, watching my older cousin playing 2k1 on the dreamcast, etc. 2002 was when i really can say my memory fully crystallized.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/10/19 at 3:00 am

It was basically a clone of 1999 ;D minus the popularity of Ricky Martin, it wasn't the grungy '90s but it was still pop culture wise late '90s.
2000 and 1999 was pretty similar for the most part but late 00 definitely started to feel early 00s with the ps2, pokemon  generation 2, rise of lil bow wow, bratz dolls, meet the family movie. Lots of 2000 staples were emerging at the end of 2000.

Written By: rapplepop on 06/10/19 at 3:54 am

2000 and 1999 was pretty similar for the most part but late 00 definitely started to feel early 00s with the ps2, pokemon  generation 2, rise of lil bow wow, bratz dolls, meet the family movie. Lots of 2000 staples were emerging at the end of 2000.

Yeah I agree. If anything I'd actually say the early 00s feeling started with the second half of 1999, rather than the 90s feeling spilling over into the new millennium.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/10/19 at 10:41 am

To take a look at how old 2000 has gotten, here's a commercials from back then. Look at the phones that these kids are talking on. It's actually something to look at how dated 2000 has actually gotten.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIDsRzaP2N0

Written By: shadowcookie on 06/10/19 at 10:56 am

I mean, most of us were only very young at the time so I don’t think we’re really well placed to say. Emman at least has the benefit of being a teenager in the late 90s.

Written By: 2001 on 06/10/19 at 1:25 pm

To take a look at how old 2000 has gotten, here's a commercials from back then. Look at the phones that these kids are talking on. It's actually something to look at how dated 2000 has actually gotten.

I wish Americans could watch the Canadian early 2000s game show Uh-oh! on YouTube. Unfortunately it is region-locked, but it shows the toys and games that kids could win if they win the game show, and it's a real trip ;D

I think these might be available outside Canada, I'm not sure

Xk-GD34pTes

The prize is shown at 7:00

RiTmo4p5p8Q

Prize shown at 2:45

Written By: Slim95 on 06/10/19 at 1:56 pm

Yes but 1999 wasn't a '90s year either, culturally speaking.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/10/19 at 2:27 pm

I mean, most of us were only very young at the time so I don’t think we’re really well placed to say. Emman at least has the benefit of being a teenager in the late 90s.
True but based on the stuff that was comming out in 2000 it's fair to call 2000 an early 00s year. I men stuff  like scary movie, bring it on, Meet the parents. The ps2 launch, malcolm in the middle Lots of 2000s defending trends were already present in 2000 and people want to group 2000 as the late 90s.

Written By: 2001 on 06/10/19 at 3:12 pm

True but based on the stuff that was comming out in 2000 it's fair to call 2000 an early 00s year. I men stuff  like scary movie, bring it on, Meet the parents. The ps2 launch, malcolm in the middle Lots of 2000s defending trends were already present in 2000 and people want to group 2000 as the late 90s.

I think even if those are "early 2000s" things they can still be similar to the late '90s in the vibe they give off. It's like how TikTok is a late 2010s thing, but it's very similar to Vine/Musical.ly, which were mid-2010s things. You get what I mean?

Written By: Slim95 on 06/10/19 at 3:16 pm

I think even if those are "early 2000s" things they can still be similar to the late '90s in the vibe they give off. It's like how TikTok is a late 2010s thing, but it's very similar to Vine/Musical.ly, which were mid-2010s things. You get what I mean?

1999 wasn't late '90s culturally speaking though, it was early 2000s.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 06/10/19 at 3:33 pm

Dang yall have good early childhood memories. My memory of 2001 was still kinda foggy but i remember my first day of kindergarten, summer of 01, watching my older cousin playing 2k1 on the dreamcast, etc. 2002 was when i really can say my memory fully crystallized.

I mean it is what it is. I think a large part for me was due in part of having older siblings, not to mention first/second cousins older and around the same age as me. So I was able to absorb into the kid culture a little bit earlier than some of my peers. But like Slim95 said, 2000 & 2001 were largely the same culturally, especially in kid culture. So if you can somewhat remember 2001 and more clearly remember 2002, than 2000 wouldn't be that different in the grand scheme of things. Take it from someone who clearly remembers the early 2000s (almost) in its entirety, you can definitely relate to this thread.

Also, funny enough my older cousin also had a Dreamcast in the early 2000s ;D. He used to play all of the 2K games and Sega Racing games back then. He also allowed me to play Sonic Adventure on there as well, one of the first consoles I have recollection playing on 8).

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 06/10/19 at 3:36 pm

LOL, yeah I remember that commercial. It just screams "Oh MAH GAWD, TAWK 2 DA HAND!" in all of its awesome early 00s glory ;D. Also, that's Brenda Song in the commercial if I'm not mistaken (she'd later be in Suite Life of Zach & Cody). All of those cereal commercials back then seemed to have a distinct identity, especially in their advertisements.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/10/19 at 3:49 pm

Even though I was a kid during this period and I have memories from it I think I would still prefer being a teen in the early 2000s like others on here. It totally beats being a teen in the late 2000s and early 2010s.

Written By: shadowcookie on 06/10/19 at 4:03 pm

Even though I was a kid during this period and I have memories from it I think I would still prefer being a teen in the early 2000s like others on here. It totally beats being a teen in the late 2000s and early 2010s.

Aren’t you a little old to be doing this whole ‘le wrong generation’ thing?

Written By: Slim95 on 06/10/19 at 4:13 pm

Aren’t you a little old to be doing this whole ‘le wrong generation’ thing?

No I'm not. Why do you think I'm on this website for?  :) If I had it my way I would be a kid in the 1980s. But my mother gave birth to me in 1995, so it is what it is.

Written By: shadowcookie on 06/10/19 at 4:19 pm

No I'm not. Why do you think I'm on this website for?  :) If I had it my way I would be a kid in the 1980s. But my mother gave birth to me in 1995, so it is what it is.

I didn’t think the purpose of this website was to wish you were born in a different decade. But maybe I’m wrong and that’s exactly what it’s for. :P

Written By: Slim95 on 06/10/19 at 4:27 pm

I didn’t think the purpose of this website was to wish you were born in a different decade. But maybe I’m wrong and that’s exactly what it’s for. :P

If it's not about decadeology, then it's about that.

Written By: 2001 on 06/10/19 at 6:22 pm

If 1999 is not late '90s then what is?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/10/19 at 6:25 pm

Yeah, I'm actually glad to have been a teen back then, too, not because the culture is necessarily better, though I do prefer it, but because of the lack of social media. Being a teen these doesn't look particularly fun to me because, you have the same stuff you had back then, like trying to be cool and always being concerned about being considered a geek and stuff like that, but now even more so because everything you do is monitored due to the rise of social media. I'm actually glad that none of the stuff that me and my buddies did back then got preserved for future generations to watch.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/10/19 at 6:30 pm

Yeah, I'm actually glad to have been a teen back then, too, not because the culture is necessarily better, though I do prefer it, but because of the lack of social media. Being a teen these doesn't look particularly fun to me because, you have the same stuff you had back then, like trying to be cool and always being concerned about being considered a geek and stuff like that, but now even more so because everything you do is monitored due to the rise of social media. I'm actually glad that none of the stuff that me and my buddies did back then got preserved for future generations to watch.

I think due to the social media era becoming over-saturated and has become an almost mandatory part of our every day lives, it's making most of the 2000's decade a lot more nostalgic especially for those who were teens or young adults at the time. The 00's may not have been the 90's pop culturally for teens or young adults, at least most of the time was still pre-social media and when internet access was only on desktop computers with a time limit. People still weren't completely reliant on devices yet. It was a weird transitional period.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/10/19 at 6:32 pm

If 1999 is not late '90s then what is?

2000s. I just said.

Written By: 2001 on 06/10/19 at 6:46 pm

2000s. I just said.

I mean what is late '90s if 1999 isn't late '90s?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/10/19 at 8:48 pm

You said it. Back in the 60s and 70s being "underground" was considered the ultimate in hip. We didn't want to be seen. Timothy Leary famously urged young people to "tune in, turn on, drop out". "Dropping out of society" was considered cool then. The closest parallel I can see to that now would be "living off the grid". Not exactly an easy thing to do in this day and age.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/10/19 at 8:54 pm

I mean what is late '90s if 1999 isn't late '90s?

1996 - 1998, culturally speaking. These years were quite different from 1999.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/10/19 at 8:55 pm

I wish Americans could watch the Canadian early 2000s game show Uh-oh! on YouTube. Unfortunately it is region-locked, but it shows the toys and games that kids could win if they win the game show, and it's a real trip ;D

I think these might be available outside Canada, I'm not sure

Xk-GD34pTes

The prize is shown at 7:00

RiTmo4p5p8Q

Prize shown at 2:45

Yeah I remember that weird show. I was always scared of the punisher. And the host was a weirdo lol. I know it's supposed to be all goofy for kids but for me as a kid who watched it it just looked odd haha.

Written By: 2001 on 06/10/19 at 9:16 pm

1996 - 1998, culturally speaking. These years were quite different from 1999.

Early-mid 1996 was 100% mid-90s. After that it felt like it was building up to 1999/2000 rather than being separate from it especially when teen pop and Fred Durst and 5th generation gaming got big in 97.

Written By: 2001 on 06/10/19 at 9:31 pm

Yeah I remember that weird show. I was always scared of the punisher. And the host was a weirdo lol. I know it's supposed to be all goofy for kids but for me as a kid who watched it it just looked odd haha.

It was the peak of YTV's "Keep It Weird" era ;D Brought to you by the era of green ketchup.

Written By: Emman on 06/11/19 at 12:27 am

1999(and 2000) was the peak of the late '90s Y2K pop culture era, the absolute peak. 1997 is when the 1990s went into a like neo-Roaring Twenties party mode, 1999 is the most quintessential late '90s year, it's when all the brighter, shinier trends started in 1996, 1997 peaked.

After this period there was no quick overhaul of the pop culture so it was harder point to where the '90s became the '00s, even on this website in 2005 and 2006(I've been reading this site since 2004) people were still complaining about the '00s being a mere extension of the late '90s.

Written By: shadowcookie on 06/11/19 at 1:22 am

The late 90s are 1997-2019. Nothing has changed for 22 years!

Written By: Howard on 06/11/19 at 7:47 am

So you're 25?

Written By: Dundee on 06/11/19 at 7:59 am

That's so true!

_Z06tFhB1FQ
z4n6ymEMQmk
LdH7aFjDzjI

I see absolutely no differences, it all looks from the same era ???

Written By: Emman on 06/11/19 at 10:32 am

Nice strawman, I know my opinion of the 2000s/2010s on this site is not popular but I've never said nothing has changed in 2 decades but we don't have decades as a distinct pop cultural phenomena anymore.

What I said my my previous post is true though, look at some of the threads created around 2006 on this very same site.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/12/19 at 12:49 am

So you're 25?

No I am not 25 yet Howard.  :( I am 24.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/12/19 at 12:54 am

even on this website in 2005 and 2006(I've been reading this site since 2004) people were still complaining about the '00s being a mere extension of the late '90s.

I have always disagreed so strongly on that. Partly because some people ignore and never  recognize the early 2000s era which was my childhood, I am not a '90s kid but I am an early 2000s kid (2000s kid still). But really the era was distinct from the '90s. Even if the whole late '90s Y2K era started in 1997, early 2000s is still not '90s. It is nothing like pre-1997 in that case. And I know a lot of people disagree with me on this and think late '90s were like peak '90s. But anyways I still say early 2000s and Y2K were totally 2000s and I know my opinion is unpopular but whatever.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/12/19 at 12:11 pm

I have always disagreed so strongly on that. Partly because some people ignore and never  recognize the early 2000s era which was my childhood, I am not a '90s kid but I am an early 2000s kid (2000s kid still). But really the era was distinct from the '90s. Even if the whole late '90s Y2K era started in 1997, early 2000s is still not '90s. It is nothing like pre-1997 in that case. And I know a lot of people disagree with me on this and think late '90s were like peak '90s. But anyways I still say early 2000s and Y2K were totally 2000s and I know my opinion is unpopular but whatever.

I wish more people thought like you when it came to the flow of 2000’s culture. Sadly a lot of people believe only late 2003/2004-2009 were the real 2000’s culturally and they’ll act like 2000-2002/early 2003 were an extension of the 90’s. The early 2000’s deserve to be part of the 00’s just as much as the rest of the decade, and older 00’s kids like you or me, will always believe that real 00’s culture died out by late 2008 or 2009 before 2010 even arrived. While the younger ones love to extend 00’s culture to 2011 who don’t remember the early 00’s like we do. Just being honest on what I’ve seen on the internet throughout the years.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/17/19 at 7:33 am

This is what an average day of a junior high school student was like back during the summer of 2000, for you kids out there.

I usually got up pretty early and turned on my old CRT TV. Typically, I liked to go through a bunch of different channels looking at what was on before settling on Cartoon Network or perhaps Nick to watch.

When watching cartoons got boring, I might go over to my N64 games and play some Mario 64, Zelda:OoT, WWF War Zone or Mario Kart 64.

When I didn't want to play the N64, I would often take my Game Boy Color outside and play a little Pokemon Yellow.

By later, I would usually call some of my buddies on the phone. This was, of course, on my old cordless telephone because back then kids didn't have mobile phones. I would ask my paretns if I could go to buddies houes for a while.

We would typically go on our bikes around the neighborhood for a while, meeting up with other guys. Often we would go to the video store and possibly look around for some games to rent if they had anything good.

Later on we would go back to his house and play some N64, then watch a bit of TRL before turning to Cartoon Network to watch Toonami.

I would usually go back to my house after that and play outside for a bit before watching some more TV.

Written By: nally on 07/17/19 at 1:45 pm

January 2000 is now half my life ago. :o Hard to believe now!

Written By: exodus08 on 07/17/19 at 2:38 pm

I turned 10 in 2000. I remember a lot that year. My Uncle who passed away in April took me, my siblings and cousin to go see the movie Snow Day in January 2000. I was in 4th grade in early 2000 and 5th in late 2000.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/17/19 at 4:33 pm

I was only a 1 year old in 2000, so I don't remember a thing.

However, my mother and I visited the UK in December 2000 (until January 2001). The only reason why I know this is because she told me about it, lol.

The earliest vacation I remember is from the year 2002.

Written By: Si_1997 on 07/17/19 at 6:26 pm

2000 is the first year of my childhood that i can actually remember! I was 3 years old. I started preschool in 2000, went to Disneyland for the first time, Had my third Birthday at six flags (which I still remember), saw Rugrats in paris and my parents were happily married. Oh yeah I also remember Halloween that year too. I was blues clues. My favorite song was Oops I did it again and Who let the dogs out (don’t judge) lol. From what I can remember 2000 was a good year. Great now I’m nostalgic haha

Written By: exodus08 on 07/17/19 at 7:57 pm

2000 is the first year of my childhood that i can actually remember! I was 3 years old. I started preschool in 2000, went to Disneyland for the first time, Had my third Birthday at six flags (which I still remember), saw Rugrats in paris and my parents were happily married. Oh yeah I also remember Halloween that year too. I was blues clues. My favorite song was Oops I did it again and Who let the dogs out (don’t judge) lol. From what I can remember 2000 was a good year. Great now I’m nostalgic haha

Would of been better if you experienced it from age 8 and up.

Written By: nally on 07/17/19 at 11:18 pm

I was only a 1 year old in 2000, so I don't remember a thing.

However, my mother and I visited the UK in December 2000 (until January 2001). The only reason why I know this is because she told me about it, lol.

The earliest vacation I remember is from the year 2002.

You remember vacation from age 3? I hardly remember anything from when I was that age (which I turned in 1983). Amazing.

Written By: exodus08 on 07/17/19 at 11:42 pm

You remember vacation from age 3? I hardly remember anything from when I was that age (which I turned in 1983). Amazing.

I don't remember anything at age 3 (1993). I'm surprised those younger than me can remember things at age 3.

Written By: nally on 07/17/19 at 11:46 pm

I don't remember anything at age 3 (1993). I'm surprised those younger than me can remember things at age 3.

Yeah...some people actually do have that ability to recall those things. Anything I might recall from that age might be really fuzzy.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/17/19 at 11:59 pm

Yeah...some people actually do have that ability to recall those things. Anything I might recall from that age might be really fuzzy.

late 1998-2000 are about the same for me when it comes to memories. Early blurry memories that are so fuzzy, had no recollection of pop culture (with very few exceptions) but my best memories from 2-4 years old are my family's history in general with the old houses they used to live in and how my hometown used to look with all the older stores we went in before those got renovated in 2001. I'm pretty sure when most people say they can't remember anything at 2 or 3, they mean they can't remember pop culture at all or trends, because I have NO memory of any pop culture at 2 or 3 years old. The earliest memories of pop culture I have are in 2000 thanks to the 2000 glasses (I had a pair of my own) and "Who Let The Dogs Out". I'd be surprised if anyone doesn't vaguely remember their family history at 2 or 3. I can easily remember playing with my cousins at 2 1/2 and 3 years old and the way my families' old houses looked with the old wooden furniture. Since I was a huge fan of cars growing up as a kid, looking at all the 90's vehicles on the road while riding in my car seat was one of my favorite things to do between 2 1/2 and 4 years old. Reading car tags by letters and numbers helped me learned my alphabet and numbers too. Little things from a toddler's perspective. I know this myself. I was also in preschool as well, I started preschool in 1999.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/18/19 at 12:06 am

I hardly remember anything between 2 and 4, but I consider my 2 1/2 to 4 memories to be about even. I only remember those ages for family, my hometown, the old furniture, classic toys, and the emotion playing with my cousins. The memories didn't become consistent and clear until I turned 5. I remember nothing between birth and early 2, it feels like it never happened. I've been alive since 1996 but it feels like my conscious didn't enter my body until mid/late 1998.

Written By: piecesof93 on 07/18/19 at 12:07 am

The year 2000 was one of my favorite years. I think this was around the peak of my childhood & peak of the Y2K era. 2001 felt different so, this was the last year I got that (childhood) Y2K vibe.

Written By: nally on 07/18/19 at 12:16 am

As for my life... I was in my second year of college when the calendar year began... and I started my third year of college that August. (Not only that, it was my fifth and final semester at a particular community college.) During the year, my family and I were looking to sell our mobile home of 20+ years and move to a brand new house in another city (and county). We put the place up for sale in the summer and sold it in the fall. Those were the days.

Oh, and it was my first time voting in a presidential election... who woulda thought it would be one of the craziest elections ever? (But we won't go there.) :-X

Written By: Si_1997 on 07/18/19 at 12:22 am

Would of been better if you experienced it from age 8 and up.

Ehh 2005 was great for me. I was 8 and went to Disneyland for the 50th anniversary.

Written By: Si_1997 on 07/18/19 at 12:23 am

Depends on the individual I guess. I remember my third birthday still in great detail. I remember 2001 more clearly tho.

Written By: nally on 07/18/19 at 12:26 am

Depends on the individual I guess. I remember my third birthday still in great detail. I remember 2001 more clearly tho.

You're probably right.

I don't remember my third birthday (July 1983), but I do remember some of the toys I received then, as they are in the pictures in our photo albums. I remember playing with them, as I had 'em for more years.

Written By: Si_1997 on 07/18/19 at 12:29 am

late 1998-2000 are about the same for me when it comes to memories. Early blurry memories that are so fuzzy, had no recollection of pop culture (with very few exceptions) but my best memories from 2-4 years old are my family's history in general with the old houses they used to live in and how my hometown used to look with all the older stores we went in before those got renovated in 2001. I'm pretty sure when most people say they can't remember anything at 2 or 3, they mean they can't remember pop culture at all or trends, because I have NO memory of any pop culture at 2 or 3 years old. The earliest memories of pop culture I have are in 2000 thanks to the 2000 glasses (I had a pair of my own) and "Who Let The Dogs Out". I'd be surprised if anyone doesn't vaguely remember their family history at 2 or 3. I can easily remember playing with my cousins at 2 1/2 and 3 years old and the way my families' old houses looked with the old wooden furniture. Since I was a huge fan of cars growing up as a kid, looking at all the 90's vehicles on the road while riding in my car seat was one of my favorite things to do between 2 1/2 and 4 years old. Reading car tags by letters and numbers helped me learned my alphabet and numbers too. Little things from a toddler's perspective. I know this myself. I was also in preschool as well, I started preschool in 1999.

Yeah that’s true. I remember cha cha slide and who let the dogs out in 2000. I also remember Britney Spears Oops I did it again. That was my fav song at 3/4 years old. I have a video of me dancing and singing to the words. Plus that music video and Aaron Carter’s I want candy always came on Nickelodeon in the afternoon back in 2000. It depends on what you were exposed too. Those memories aren’t as clear as they once were tho, but any song I here from 2000 even the non popular songs will immediately bring me nostalgia.

Written By: Si_1997 on 07/18/19 at 12:32 am

You're probably right.

I don't remember my third birthday (July 1983), but I do remember some of the toys I received then, as they are in the pictures in our photo albums. I remember playing with them, as I had 'em for more years.

Yeah it definitely depends. The older you get the more those memories may become lost. I mainly remember 2000 because of my first trip to Disneyland. I remember running from Mickey and my dad took me on the Matterhorn. I also remember preschool which took place in 2000. Who let the dogs out was a major fail but for us kids it was a hit hahaha

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/18/19 at 8:37 am

My memories from when I was 3 are mostly fuzzy. I remember certain snap shots. Nothing that is extremely vivid.

My memories from when I was 4-5 are clearer.

Written By: nally on 02/04/20 at 4:10 pm

My memories from when I was 4-5 are clearer.

I think the same can apply to me. (For me that was the mid 1980s; most of what I remember has to do with the things I played with, and my family members who were alive at the time.)

Written By: mwalker1996 on 02/05/20 at 5:15 pm

I hardly remember anything from 1999 other than a toy drum set I got that Christmas, a fuzzy memory of my 3rd birthday party, watching the Dragon Tales, and wearing Barney Diapers (yeah I was potty trained a bit late but don't wanna go into detail with that).

Written By: Slim95 on 02/05/20 at 6:39 pm

I have vivid memories from 2000. Awesome year.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/05/20 at 6:55 pm

In 2000, I had my very first job. I worked for a flower company that assembled floral arrangements and sent them to other places like stores, flower shops, supermarkets...I can't believe it's been 20 years!  :o

Written By: Captain Jazz on 02/05/20 at 10:50 pm

I still remember when 20 years ago was the 80's...

Check for new replies or respond here...