inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How long will Eminem stay relavant for?

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 07/07/19 at 3:11 am

I remember two major comebacks of Eminem. Both times he seemed to come back with a new generation of early teen fans.  I remember when his friend Prof got killed he disappeared for awhile in 2006 then he came back with Relapse in 2009 and Recovery in 2010. "Not Afraid" seemed to inspire a new generation of early teen fans, fans who would have been a few years old when Eminem first hit the scene 10 years ago.

I remember thinking at the time (I was 20 then) that they didn't know the "real" Eminem and I didn't see them as real fans since they were jumping on the bandwagon of Eminem's relatively responsible and inspiring reincarnation rather than the young hooligan that my generation grew up with and knew and loved.

The one who sung

And every single person is a Slim Shady lurking
He could be working at Burger King, spittin' on your onion rings
Or in the parking lot, circling, screaming, "I don't give a fudge!"
With his windows down and his system up

Now THAT'S the Eminem that I knew :)

But at least they were still Eminem fans, those youngsters would now be early 20s.

Then in came back in 2013 with the Marshall Mathers LP 2. I am sure around the time I heard more Eminem here and there, but not as much as when Recovery dropped in 2010.

Here's an anecdote as well, I used to hear Eminem's music being played by kids on phones even 3-4 years ago, and when I say kids I mean actual kids, even younger than teenagers.

But now I hardly hear anything like that anymore.

Has Eminem finally become irrelevant? If he has, it was a good run of nigh on 20 years and two full generations.

I enjoyed his music a lot, I am definitely somebody who is and was a bit angrier than a lot of you guys on here seem to be so I found his music more relatable than a lot of you guys do.

Subject: Re: How long will Eminem stay relavant for?

Written By: Slim95 on 07/07/19 at 3:15 am

He's still relevant. He released a new album last year that's bangin'. He will always be relevant, even after he passes away as he is a legend. Like Tupac is today, where Tupac still does shows with holograms.

Trust me, I enjoy his music more than you do.  ;)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/09/19 at 3:30 pm

I don't think any more time soon. I mean Eminem has been in the game for two decades at this point, and people already see him as a certified legend. Besides, I read that his last two albums didn't do very well.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/09/19 at 3:35 pm

I don't think any more time soon. I mean Eminem has been in the game for two decades at this point, and people already see him as a certified legend. Besides, I read that his last two albums didn't do very well.

Revival was his worst album bad but Kamikaze was solid.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/09/19 at 4:28 pm

Eminem's Revival was his worst album, but Kamikaze was solid.
That may have been the case, but it wasn't as superior as Recovery or even MMLP2. I didn't hear many songs from Kamikaze on any music platform as I did from the other two.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 07/09/19 at 5:41 pm

Enimen is definitely still relevant. Just not at his peak like he was in the early 00s. Kids till this day still listen to him and follow his new releases.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/09/19 at 5:47 pm

Enimen is definitely still relevant. Just not at his peak like he was in the early 00s. Kids till this day still listen to him and follow his new releases.

Not just kids. Adults like myself do as well.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/09/19 at 6:11 pm

That may have been the case, but it wasn't as superior as Recovery or even MMLP2. I didn't hear many songs from Kamikaze on any music platform as I did from the other two.

His beef with MGK last year was very popular in the mainstream and their rap diss tracks. It may have not been in the top 40 though which was overwhelmed with modern trap.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 07/09/19 at 8:12 pm

Not just kids. Adults like myself do as well.
Obviously, but the kids that listened to Enimen at his peak are now adults. Kids today still listen to Enimen despite him being in his 40's and been around for 20 years. Many people who listened to Enimen in 1999 have kids who listen to him in 2019.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/09/19 at 10:01 pm

Obviously, but the kids that listened to Enimen at his peak are now adults. Kids today still listen to Enimen despite him being in his 40's and been around for 20 years. Many people who listened to Enimen in 1999 have kids who listen to him in 2019.

Eminem dissed parents still listening to Elvis in his early career yet that's exactly what is happening to him. Going the way of a legend like Elvis.  ;D

Written By: Retrolover on 07/09/19 at 10:22 pm

Marshall Mathers III will stay relevant for many more decades in this century. Eminem’s music will be passed down from Millennials to Generation Alphas and then from Alphas to their children and etc. etc..

Written By: mwalker1996 on 07/11/19 at 7:27 am

Marshall Mathers III will stay relevant for many more decades in this century. Eminem’s music will be passed down from Millennials to Generation Alphas and then from Alphas to their children and etc. etc..
Yep. Today's enimen fans are mostly Gen Z'ers are at least y/z cuspers.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/11/19 at 7:29 am

Yep. Today's enliven fans are mostly Gen Z'ers are at least y/z cuspers.

I think he has fans from all ages.

Written By: ItsMichael on 07/11/19 at 9:37 pm

I can honestly see Eminem lose some relevance somewhere in the 2020s

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 07/14/19 at 9:34 pm

He's one of the few stars that emerged in the Y2K era that is still relatively relevant today. Acts like Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Justin Timberlake, Smash Mouth, among others, have bitten the dust. Even Jay Z and Beyonce, whom are still very relevant, have fallen from grace within the last 5-10 years. Eminem weirdly enough still has a relevant hold in the rap industry and nobody (not even MGK) has really 'dethroned' him. Revealing that Eminem is still sharp and an important asset to the rap community. His diss track on Trump being a perfect example of that, he has aged like a 'fine wine'.

Written By: piecesof93 on 07/21/19 at 4:33 am

He's one of the few stars that emerged in the Y2K era that is still relatively relevant today. Acts like Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Justin Timberlake, Smash Mouth, among others, have bitten the dust. Even Jay Z and Beyonce, whom are still very relevant, have fallen from grace within the last 5-10 years. Eminem weirdly enough still has a relevant hold in the rap industry and nobody (not even MGK) has really 'dethroned' him. Revealing that Eminem is still sharp and an important asset to the rap community. His diss track on Trump being a perfect example of that, he has aged like a 'fine wine'.

Are you referring to the cypher he did on BET where he dissed Trump? Most people acknowledged that it was bad and that he was losing his "spark" the night it premiered lol.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 07/21/19 at 9:27 am

Are you referring to the cypher he did on BET where he dissed Trump? Most people acknowledged that it was bad and that he was losing his "spark" the night it premiered lol.

It showed that (at least to me) Eminem’s disdain for authority was still evident. I’m sure you remember that he heavily criticized the Bush Administration in the early 2000s. Him ripping Trump to shreds was epic, and also pretty controversial because much of his loyal following of white rap listeners were turned off by Em’ dissing Trump since a lot of them were (and likely still are) Trump supporters. However, Em’ stayed true to himself and that’s respect right there. So even if the cleverness of the lyrics may have not been as good as what he was able to do during the peak of his career, the message and authenticity of those lyrics were still pretty strong.

Written By: Skittler on 07/25/19 at 11:20 pm

His peak years were 1999-2005 but he will always stay fairly relevant even after he dies because he's considered a legend.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/14/19 at 3:47 pm

He's not angry anymore. His anger was his superpower! Now that he's satisfied like a pig.....

Written By: rapplepop on 08/17/19 at 1:20 am

He's not angry anymore. His anger was his superpower! Now that he's satisfied like a pig.....

I wonder how his daughter Hayley is doing...

Check for new replies or respond here...