inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2000s Aesthetics

Written By: exodus08 on 08/02/19 at 5:09 pm

What would be the aesthetics of the early, mid and late '00s? Pop Culture.ect

early 00s (2000-2003)

mid 00s (2004-2006)

late 00s (2007-2009)

Subject: Re: 2000s Aesthetics

Written By: GameXcaper on 08/03/19 at 3:44 pm

Skeuomorphism for the entire decade, earlier parts of the decade feature much more 3d and pseudo 3d. Also, the Bank Gothic Font was very popular. Most of the decade also had a futuristic aesthetic. There is more but I this is just some of the stuff that comes to my mind.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/03/19 at 5:48 pm

I can’t help you with the mid or late 00s, but the early 00s were like yesterday to me.

The pseudo Goth look was in with Xennials and Millennials. Black chokers were a big deal, but it wasn’t worn with black colors all of the time. The character “Emily”, Marilyn Manson, and “Korn” were a huge deal then to some XYers and Yers.

Also, those gel pen colors for pink, green, and orange. Glitter and silver tank tops was worn by artists like Britney Spears and the Backstreet Boys. Like GameXcaper said, there was a futuristic aesthetic to the decade (especially the start).

Jnco jeans gave the early 00s like a late 70s feeling to it. Red shirts were worn with them most of time by guys.

There was a subdued California look from the late 80s and early 90s for late XYers and Yers. Think “90s kid” of Channel Awesome fame only with lighter blues for his button down shirt and white as his under shirt. Of course, men wore beige cargo baggy pants with it instead of acid wash cargo zipper pocket jeans like we did in the 80s and 90s.

I don’t remember too much else.

Written By: Mat1991 on 08/04/19 at 4:45 pm

For teenage and young men, clothing was worn very baggy, and this was for most of the decade. I remember my junior high and high school specifically banned "tall tees," which were oversized t-shirts that almost looked like nightgowns.  :D

Also a lot of guys, particularly white guys, styled their hair in a kind of shaggy 'do, sort of reminiscent of the '70s, only messier. By the mid '00s, damn near every young male actor on Disney Channel, Degrassi, etc. had this kind of haircut. I thought it was so unattractive.  :P

As for girls, by the mid '00s, sequins were very popular. A lot of girls would wear cropped jean jackets, tight shirts, and shiny, glittery belts. It was a very shimmery, blingy time for fashion.

Written By: GameXcaper on 08/05/19 at 1:55 am

For teenage and young men, clothing was worn very baggy, and this was for most of the decade. I remember my junior high and high school specifically banned "tall tees," which were oversized t-shirts that almost looked like nightgowns.  :D

Also a lot of guys, particularly white guys, styled their hair in a kind of shaggy 'do, sort of reminiscent of the '70s, only messier. By the mid '00s, damn near every young male actor on Disney Channel, Degrassi, etc. had this kind of haircut. I thought it was so unattractive.  :P

As for girls, by the mid '00s, sequins were very popular. A lot of girls would wear cropped jean jackets, tight shirts, and shiny, glittery belts. It was a very shimmery, blingy time for fashion.

You're talking about the wings hairstyle, right? The Justin Beiber one where it involves a fringe at the top sweeping over to the side. Gave off skater and kind of surfer vibe. Yeah, I remember it was popular on white guys up until the end of the early 2010s. I was in middle school from 2011 - 2014 and many guys still had it up until 2013.

Written By: Mat1991 on 08/05/19 at 2:10 pm

You're talking about the wings hairstyle, right? The Justin Beiber one where it involves a fringe at the top sweeping over to the side. Gave off skater and kind of surfer vibe. Yeah, I remember it was popular on white guys up until the end of the early 2010s. I was in middle school from 2011 - 2014 and many guys still had it up until 2013.

Yes, that's it! It was part of this general popular aesthetic for young men to just style their hair shaggy and messy. Dylan and Cole Sprouse from The Suite Life of Zack and Cody had this hairstyle, for example. Also almost the entire male cast of Degrassi from roughly 2003 to 2010.  :D

Written By: GameXcaper on 08/06/19 at 10:50 pm

Yes, that's it! It was part of this general popular aesthetic for young men to just style their hair shaggy and messy. Dylan and Cole Sprouse from The Suite Life of Zack and Cody had this hairstyle, for example. Also almost the entire male cast of Degrassi from roughly 2003 to 2010.  :D

Yeah, that was the undercut/fade/man bun of the 2000s and the early 2010s. Now that I think about it, a lot of the late 90s and 2000s fashion was very 70s inspired from the baggy clothing to the longer, natural, shaggier hairstyles with little to no product, the tanned blonde look, boot cuts and flares, flashy clothing etc. The 2010s fashion is a combination of 80s and early 90s with some 70s, much more clean-cut and artificial with a heavy emphasis on hair products and makeup, nothing natural at all.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/19/19 at 1:44 pm

The 2000s had more futuristic aesthetics than the 2010s do. Feels like we went backwards. Like going back to the 1980s in terms of design. If you compare the old Pepsi logo to the new one, the older one looks a lot better and more futuristic. So now modern design actually looks like it's moving backwards and not towards the future.

I really hope we go back to skeuomorphism and I think we will if virtual reality gets more popular! (Virtual reality apps are based on skeuomorphism design).

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 09/08/19 at 3:30 am

The 2000s had more futuristic aesthetics than the 2010s do. Feels like we went backwards. Like going back to the 1980s in terms of design. If you compare the old Pepsi logo to the new one, the older one looks a lot better and more futuristic. So now modern design actually looks like it's moving backwards and not towards the future.

I really hope we go back to skeuomorphism and I think we will if virtual reality gets more popular! (Virtual reality apps are based on skeuomorphism design).

Yeah, a lot of stuff in the 2000s seemed to get modernised, to the point where newer versions actually look less futuristic and more understated.

I remember a lot of logos in the 2000s being updated whether they were from utility service providers, drinks companies, video games, all across the point, a lot of modernisation went ahead in the 2000s.

To the point where a lot of 2000s logos and other stuff looks modern to this day.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/08/19 at 8:48 am

To the point where a lot of 2000s logos and other stuff looks modern to this day.

Well "modern" is not the same as futuristic which is why the 2000s logos don't look modern to me, they look out of place today because it uses a completely different design scheme than what is used today. It looks better and futuristic, but not modern. It would look out of place today alongside all the flat logos. But I do hope the trend returns.

Check for new replies or respond here...