inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does anyone else here actually SUFFER from nostalgia?

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 08/05/19 at 2:26 am

Hi I posted this in the "Penguin corner" but didn't get any replies so I figured I'd post it back here since I think a few more people could relate.

I find I "suffer" from nostalgia quite a lot, in the sense that whenever something else occupies my time (for instance, a full time job) my nostalgia level increases.

I have a yearning, particularly for the years 2006-2010 when I was between the ages of 16-20. Ironically, when I was that age, I had a sense of nostalgia for being a child in the 90s. But that nostalgia wasn't as strong or the same type as the nostalgia I feel now for being a mid-late teenager.

Being in that age range is that perfect time where you can just "hang out", have friends, wonder around town and be part time employed whilst you study a diploma at college and at that age it's completely normal. But if you miss it, it's gone!

My teenage years were very uneventful due to being fairly shy and circumstances of living in the suburbs meant that I never really got to meet anyone "my own age" when I was a young man.

I had no friends of a female persuasion (that could possibly have developed into girlfriends), no male friends to hang out with, nothing.

I remember feeling really lonely back then, similar to now, but the difference was I had youth on my side back then and a lot of time ahead of me where I hoped things would "pick up". As it happens, they never did, but I didn't know that at the time.

I feel like I should have made more of an effort to be outgoing, especially during the brief time I was at community college, one of the few times I was in the same place as a lot of people my own age.

Needless to say, this "nostalgia" suffering is really quite inefficient and makes it tricky to really focus on the current moment. I am 30 this year and it seems the older I get, the more nostalgic I get!

This is a legitimate "problem" in a sense though, but I love being nostalgic, it's a catch 22. I feel like I want to "hang on" to the past and if I stop being nostalgic that I will loose my connection with it.

Subject: Re: Does anyone else here actually SUFFER from nostalgia?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/19 at 12:40 am

Hi I posted this in the "Penguin corner" but didn't get any replies so I figured I'd post it back here since I think a few more people could relate.

You will find there is a reply to topic.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=60140.msg3832159#msg3832159

Written By: Marzipanner on 08/07/19 at 1:19 pm

The way I see it...
You feel JOYFUL fondly remembering a simpler time, yet you feel GRIEF that it is over and that you’ll never see those days again. But ultimately, it makes you GRATEFUL for what has happened.

So I wouldn’t say I suffered from it; rather, I felt these strong feelings that were so pleasant yet unpleasant.
:)

Written By: LooseBolt on 08/10/19 at 7:11 am

Yes, I think this whole forum is afflicted with it.

Written By: 2001 on 08/11/19 at 6:20 am

The thread would probably get most replies in the "More than a decade" section :P

I am sometimes nostalgic for my high school years in the late 2000s, even though it wasn't the best of times for me. However, it happens rarely enough that I don't consider it a problem.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/16/19 at 7:02 pm

I'll always love 1983 to 1995, when it comes to pop culture, no doubt.
But I don't let those years let me become neurotic or obsessed.  :)
In some twisted way 'bad' pop culture can be beneficial in the end. It helps
us appreciate it when pop culture is good or great.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/17/19 at 9:23 am

There’s too much going on in everyone’s life to suffer from any nostalgia. That’s how The Highest meant for it to be.

Written By: Howard on 08/17/19 at 2:06 pm

There’s too much going on in everyone’s life to suffer from any nostalgia. That’s how The Highest meant for it to be.

I like to reminisce but I don't suffer from nostalgia.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/17/19 at 2:22 pm

I like to reminisce but I don't suffer from nostalgia.

Same with me. I’d like to return to 1989 or 1990, but I don’t spend every second of my day thinking about it.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/17/19 at 4:40 pm

I'd like to return to the early 80's.

At what point in the early 1980s did you stop liking the 80s?

Written By: exodus08 on 08/17/19 at 5:48 pm

Same with me. I’d like to return to 1989 or 1990, but I don’t spend every second of my day thinking about it.

I feel the same way about 1999 and 2000 but I'm think about them 24/7.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/17/19 at 5:53 pm

I feel the same way about 1999 and 2000 but I'm think about them 24/7.

What specifically, if you don’t mind me asking?

Written By: exodus08 on 08/17/19 at 6:27 pm

What specifically, if you don’t mind me asking?

My childhood mostly but also living down in California and hangout with my family and School friends.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/17/19 at 7:06 pm

My childhood mostly but also living down in California and hangout with my family and School friends.

Isn’t today (2019) a little like 1999 and 2000? Tommy Hilfiger in stores, the original Pokèmon on new merchandise, and “The Matrix” returning to theaters this month?

1990 is almost 30 years ago.
It’s not like “California Raisins” stuff is at Hot Topic, “Gremlins 2: The New Batch” will be playing at any Alamo Drafthouse anytime soon, or MC Hammer pants will be a thing before the year is out.

Written By: exodus08 on 08/17/19 at 7:33 pm

Isn’t today (2019) a little like 1999 and 2000? Tommy Hilfiger in stores, the original Pokèmon on new merchandise, and “The Matrix” returning to theaters this month?

1990 is almost 30 years ago.
It’s not like “California Raisins” stuff is at Hot Topic, “Gremlins 2: The New Batch” will be playing at any Alamo Drafthouse anytime soon, or MC Hammer pants will be a thing before the year is out.

Things that were popular in 1990 will come back :)

Written By: Retrolover on 08/17/19 at 8:35 pm

Things that were popular in 1990 will come back :)

Not a lot of them.  :-\\
“Home Alone” has gotten a huge nod in this time period, neon hip pouches are popular with women, and Bart Simpson Underachiever shirts are sold at Footaction
( :o), but’s that’s it.

Written By: Howard on 08/18/19 at 2:23 pm

At what point in the early 1980s did you stop liking the 80s?

I think you can ignore that question, I meant the late 80's.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/25/19 at 4:19 am

Make the most of it for it was Nostalgia Night in Uruguay yesterday!  :)

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 02/12/20 at 1:49 am

Me, probably.

One of the reasons behind this, likely, is that I didn't even reach my double digits before my favorite year ended. I remember a good bit from that year, and people have accused me of having a photographic memory... I don't know. I think if that was the case, I might remember the date of which I saw the YouTube Poop I saw in that year, and that year only. Either way, I wasn't even 10 in '07, which means that seeing things around me that are radically different from back then is... To make it an understatement... Overwhelming.

Written By: Sman12 on 02/12/20 at 9:50 am

I don't really suffer from it, but I do miss the carefree days in the early 2010s era back when I was 10-12.

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/12/20 at 10:35 am

I’ll always have nostalgia for the late 70s thru the early 90s. But wouldn’t want to re live it. I had too many problems back then. And as much as I can’t stand it sometimes, I have to admit that in some ways the world is easier and cheaper to live in now with current technology.  So I can take advantage of that, while picking and choosing what I want from the past. Like my decor. My cars. My music and movies and tv. Honestly a lot of what was popular back then is easier to obtain now then it was back then.

Written By: Howard on 02/13/20 at 8:16 am

I don't suffer from it but I do reminisce about it.

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 02/23/20 at 11:02 am

I don't really suffer from it, but I do miss the carefree days in the early 2010s era back when I was 10-12.

It's very strange to read about being being children when I was in my early 20s...VERY DISTURBING!

Written By: The Master on 02/26/20 at 2:26 pm

I'm nostalgic everyday! Like that Marzipanner font said, you feel joyful for remembering a happier, carefree, simpler time but then sad at the same time that its over and you'll never see them days again. I miss the 2000s (up to 2007) so much. From 2008 and onwards my life went downhill and I never recovered. It continues to get worse day by day, year by year. Oh well.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/26/20 at 3:09 pm

It's very strange to read about being being children when I was in my early 20s...VERY DISTURBING!

2000s Nostalgiaist, what are some 2000s things you cannot live without?

Written By: That2004Kid on 03/04/20 at 8:28 am

OMG... Back in 2017, I was on inthe00s as SailorSteven2017 and I would NOT SHUT UP about 2016 and the '90s XD  I'm glad I've changed...

Written By: wixness on 03/04/20 at 5:50 pm

Somewhat but I think there were some things the 2000s did better, like let people keep the stuff they paid for. However, I will concede that there's some tech I'm spoiled by too from the 2010s.

Written By: violet_shy on 03/05/20 at 4:02 pm

I don't. However, there are times I do get very nostalgic. What's strange when I get nostalgic over a particular time period from my past, there are moments I can actually feel the atmosphere of the time I get nostalgic about. Is there a term for that? It's really strange and it happens sometimes. Like I go back in time or something.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/22/20 at 10:46 am

I'm not sure if "suffering" is the right word, but I think just about everyone now would rather live in the pre-2020 world.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/22/20 at 3:04 pm

What things from the 90s are you nostalgic for?

Written By: wixness on 04/04/20 at 5:26 pm

IDK but I kind of refuse to play or even watch people play the new Halo games on Steam (Halo: The Master Chief Collection) largely because of nostalgia.

Written By: Wink-182 on 04/07/20 at 3:36 pm

Can't really say I suffer from it, but I do get nostalgic for the 2000s in general whenever I think about the music or the TV Shows. Like The Sopranos for example really does date itself in the 2000s when you constantly see the flip phones or the huge gas guzzling SUVs or generally cars that were new back then. When I see stuff like that is when I get nostalgic for the 2000s.

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 04/12/20 at 7:04 am

2000s Nostalgiaist, what are some 2000s things you cannot live without?

My youth! ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...