inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Alternate '00s reality

Written By: exodus08 on 08/12/19 at 7:24 pm

I had wondered what would of happened in the 00s if these events never happened:

If Al Gore had won in the elections of 2000 and 2004. That mean no Bush and No Invasion of Iraq.

No Survivor and Big Brother which means no reality tv boom.

No Social Media sites like Myspace, Facebook or Twitter.

Gore is briefed about attacks from Terrorist and 9/11 doesn't happen.

What do you think the 00s would look like if these events never happend?

Subject: Re: Alternate '00s reality

Written By: 2001 on 08/12/19 at 8:20 pm

I felt like a lot of the 2000s was where the late 90s left off, after 2003/2004 things would have definitely been different though had those events not occurred.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/19 at 4:17 am

I felt like a lot of the 2000s was where the late 90s left off, after 2003/2004 things would have definitely been different though had those events not occurred.
A few years back a dear late friend of mine used to argue what if JFK had not been shot, one thing for certain would be that Jackie Kennedy would had not married Aristotle Onassis.

Written By: Howard on 08/13/19 at 7:12 am

Gore is briefed about attacks from Terrorist and 9/11 doesn't happen.

If 9/11 never had happened then most likely we would lead different lives, The Twin Towers would still be standing by now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/19 at 7:18 am

If 9/11 never had happened then most likely we would lead different lives, The Twin Towers would still be standing by now.
...and airport security would not be so tight?

Written By: Howard on 08/13/19 at 8:01 am

...and airport security would not be so tight?

I think it would.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/19 at 8:03 am

I think it would.
On my US travels, it was shoes and belts on trousers off.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/13/19 at 8:52 am

The only way an alternate 00s reality could happen is if things like Gen Xers holding off having children in the 90s happened. Otherwise, only one version of the 2000s can exist.

Written By: exodus08 on 08/13/19 at 12:51 pm

The only way an alternate 00s reality could happen is if things like Gen Xers holding off having children in the 90s happened. Otherwise, only one version of the 2000s can exist.

I don't think that's it lol. That maybe be a different problem that you have with us 90s babies.

Written By: exodus08 on 08/13/19 at 1:04 pm

How's airport security in the UK?

Written By: exodus08 on 08/13/19 at 1:07 pm

That's so true.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/19 at 1:13 pm

Bearing in mind I have not flown for around two years now, Back then it was tight, but not to the standard of the USA.

Written By: Howard on 08/13/19 at 1:59 pm

and everything metal?

Written By: Howard on 08/13/19 at 2:00 pm

No Social Media sites like Myspace, Facebook or Twitter.

Would we be talking to people face to face?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/19 at 2:04 pm

Would we be talking to people face to face?
No sharp objects and bottled water allowed on the planes.

Written By: exodus08 on 08/13/19 at 2:39 pm

No sharp objects and bottled water allowed on the planes.

Wow! No bottled water? Has this world gone mad!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/19 at 2:45 pm

Bottles have to be emptied, or disposed of at customs, the only water that can be taken on board can be brought in duty free.

Written By: Howard on 08/14/19 at 2:49 pm

Bottles have to be emptied, or disposed of at customs, the only water that can be taken on board can be brought in duty free.

But people can still drink? ???

Written By: Howard on 08/14/19 at 2:50 pm

No Survivor and Big Brother which means no reality tv boom.

Then what would we be watching?

Written By: exodus08 on 08/14/19 at 2:58 pm

Then what would we be watching?

lol Really Howard? What have we been watching since the birth of television? Scripted tv shows! Also Game Shows but shows like The Real Housewives, Keeping up with the Kardashins, The Simply life, Jersey Shore, The Bachelor/Bachelorette, The Hills, Love & Hip Hop.ect have gone off the deep end. It has established narcissism in people mainly the younger generation.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/14/19 at 3:00 pm

But people can still drink? ???
Drink that are purchased in Duty Free.

Written By: 2001 on 08/15/19 at 6:22 pm

They're both miserable. I miss the 90s.

Written By: shadowcookie on 08/15/19 at 8:51 pm

Airport security isn’t as bad in the UK as it is in the US, but I’d also say we increased airport security in response to other things like Lockerbie as opposed to 9/11. We had been tightening airport security for some time as a response to that. Although Lockerbie doesn’t really compare to 9/11 it still had a fundamental impact on how we fly.

Most people find that travelling to the US became more annoying after 9/11 but travelling to most countries didn’t change significantly, especially non-Western ones. A lot of British people I speak to don’t think airport security is much worse now than it was 20 years ago, and our airport security was apparently more stringent pre-9/11 than it was in the US - but since I never flew until 2005 I really can’t comment on how it compares to before. What I experience in the airport today is all I’ve ever known and I think nothing of it. Even my 53 year old mum doesn’t know because she didn’t first fly until 2005 as well, at the age of 39! I don’t find it intrusive though - no clothing items have to be removed, no shoes off or anything silly.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/15/19 at 9:07 pm

If Al Gore had won in the elections of 2000 and 2004. That mean no Bush and No Invasion of Iraq. I pretty much agree with this. I'm sure Bill Clinton's Monica Lewinsky scandal played part of the role in getting a Republican elected though!

No Survivor and Big Brother which means no reality tv boom. This is hard to say, because what if other reality TV shows became big instead of these two? Maybe the reality TV show boom would have been delayed, but not gone. But also, maybe the boom wouldn't have happened if not for these two shows. Or at least one of them was a huge hit. Cause and effect is extremely hard to predict.

No Social Media sites like Myspace, Facebook or Twitter. It was pretty much destined to happen. Social media is pretty seductive.

Gore is briefed about attacks from Terrorist and 9/11 doesn't happen. They Muslim extremists hated Americans (and still do), it didn't matter if the president was a Republican or a Democrat. They see our culture as dirty and too sexualized and too free, immoral, disrespectful, etc, etc. One crazy was going to attack us, but perhaps we could have been more vigilant! I don't know about how vigilant we were, because I don't know the details. Also, politically, I don't know much about the Middle East and US politics.

Written By: 2001 on 08/16/19 at 6:10 am

Airport security isn’t as bad in the UK as it is in the US, but I’d also say we increased airport security in response to other things like Lockerbie as opposed to 9/11. We had been tightening airport security for some time as a response to that. Although Lockerbie doesn’t really compare to 9/11 it still had a fundamental impact on how we fly.

Most people find that travelling to the US became more annoying after 9/11 but travelling to most countries didn’t change significantly, especially non-Western ones. A lot of British people I speak to don’t think airport security is much worse now than it was 20 years ago, and our airport security was apparently more stringent pre-9/11 than it was in the US - but since I never flew until 2005 I really can’t comment on how it compares to before. What I experience in the airport today is all I’ve ever known and I think nothing of it. Even my 53 year old mum doesn’t know because she didn’t first fly until 2005 as well, at the age of 39! I don’t find it intrusive though - no clothing items have to be removed, no shoes off or anything silly.

When I went to the UK, they opened and checked every bag of every passenger. I was at security for several hours. It was actually the worst airport experience I've ever had.  x_x

I don't remember it being that bad in the early 2000s though.

Mainland Europe (well, the Netherlands mainly) is surprisingly not too bad. The Middle East and Asia have the best airports though bar none.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/19/19 at 1:35 pm

Well if these big things didn't happen I would see the 2000s as being a lot less rapid in change and more consistent. It would not be the '90s anymore ('90s ended in 1999 culturally) but the entire decade would feel Y2K and early 2000sish. Which I wouldn't mind! But there would be less progress. Basically the big shifts of 2006 and 2008 and "modern 2000s" culture in the late '00s wouldn't happen. People would still be listening to some R&B and bubblegum pop in 2009. There would be no IPhone. Everyone would be using Windows Longhorn (an OS after XP and before Vista that never got released but was supposed to, but this is an alternate reality). Obama would not become president. Tragic events and big things can create progress and can change the course of history. Most of all without social media people would be able to talk to others normally and that will make it more similar to the 20th century.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/25/19 at 5:58 am

In the news today.

Airport security: 3D baggage scanners could end liquid restrictions

Written By: 2001 on 10/22/19 at 10:35 am

In the news today.

Airport security: 3D baggage scanners could end liquid restrictions

I'm gonna treat these like the "cure for cancer" articles until it actually happens.

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/24/19 at 1:13 am

Had we stayed out of the middle east I think we would still have cheap gas.

I think reality TV started with MTV's The Real World in the 90s.  So no change there.

Social media would have been the same I think.  People already had places to make their own webpages, and there were messengers and even ICQ where you could watch the other person type.  You had a Yahoo profile.  It was only a matter of time before a combination was made that really hit.  But if there was no possibility of social media, I think the world might be a kinder and more patient place.  Even if just a little bit.

Check for new replies or respond here...