inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Core Millennials, do you freak out when stuff that used to be new is now "old"!?

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 12/03/19 at 3:45 am

I keep finding myself freaking out over the past 5 years, but particularly the past 2-3 years that things I remember as being "current" and "trendy" are now dated and sometimes even "old school".

TV shows I remember from the 2004-2010 era for instance. "Lost", "My name is Earl", "Beauty and the Geek", "The Simple Life" with Paris Hilton", "The Weakest Link", "Smallville", "Skins" I could go on...

The same applies with music, technology, fashion.

I know this would have happened with every era, but it seems kind of even weirder with the 2000s era because it felt and still looks quite high tech and modern.

Seeing a smartphone from 2009 looks normal until you pay more attention to detail.

Video games from that era, FEAR and Crysis still look modern and slick.

I read people in threads talking about songs and pop groups that I remember on the radio back then. It's so strange in many ways.

I am 30 now and not dealing with it at all well. It doesn't feel like 12 years since my generation was the current one.

Subject: Re: Core Millennials, do you freak out when stuff that used to be new is now "old"!?

Written By: LooseBolt on 12/03/19 at 6:38 am

Yeah, the big 3-0 is coming up for me and it scares the living daylights out of me how old Revenge of the Sith and Bioshock are. I mean, these were things I remember waiting excitedly for their release, and now those release dates are so far in the rearview mirror as to no longer be in sight.

It seems like just yesterday I was just beginning high school, but now it’s more than half a lifetime ago.

Subject: Re: Core Millennials, do you freak out when stuff that used to be new is now "old"!?

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 12/03/19 at 10:16 am

Exactly. I remember Half-Life 2 being shiny and new, then the expansion pack "The Orange Box". But like you say, it's like when you are driving down the highway, something is in the rear view and then before you know it you can't even see it anymore.

If I'd done and achieved more in life, I feel like it would be easier to deal with. A child who was born when I was 18 is now 12 years old. Some strange to think about.

A few users on here were born in the 2000s.

Written By: fusefan on 12/03/19 at 1:06 pm

A few users on here were born in the 2000s.

Doesn’t really surprise me. I remember 10-15 years ago when people use to freak out when people my age started joining forums.

“What? YOU WERE BORN IN THE 90S!  :o“ 

Written By: 3D Blast on 12/03/19 at 3:19 pm

Doesn’t really surprise me. I remember 10-15 years ago when people use to freak out when people my age started joining forums.

“What? YOU WERE BORN IN THE 90S!  :o“

You still get reactions like that. But now from school aged folks who you'd commonly see on platforms such as Discord or Twitter. It still surprises me that anyone under age 20 was born in 2000 onward. Got 2005-2006 born highschoolers. We haven't have 90s born in 20 years now.

Written By: mqg96 on 12/03/19 at 3:40 pm

Yeah, the big 3-0 is coming up for me and it scares the living daylights out of me how old Revenge of the Sith and Bioshock are. I mean, these were things I remember waiting excitedly for their release, and now those release dates are so far in the rearview mirror as to no longer be in sight.

It seems like just yesterday I was just beginning high school, but now it’s more than half a lifetime ago.

I don't even wanna think about turning 30 anytime soon. Thankfully I'll only be turning 24 with a lot of goals ahead of me to get accomplished in life before I reach that age. What's scary is that since August I'm closer to 30 than 17 now.

Written By: 2001 on 12/17/19 at 3:51 pm

30 is slowly creeping up on me (turning 27 in Feb). To keep myself calm, I just imagine how much more panic inducing turning 40 or 50 is going to be and how I'm going to wish I was 30 again ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/18/19 at 6:46 am

30 is slowly creeping up on me (turning 27 in Feb). To keep myself calm, I just imagine how much more panic inducing turning 40 or 50 is going to be and how I'm going to wish I was 30 again ;D

I'm turning 46 in just 3 months so 50 is just around the corner for me.

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/18/19 at 7:25 am

I just found this story today, and it references how one woman reenacts the lifestyle as it was around 2010, complete with Blackberry, 3G technology, primitive games, an iPod, and using desktops to post and use social media.

https://www.wsj.com/video/series/joanna-stern-personal-technology/24-hours-in-hell-with-only-2010-technology/EB55EA64-0FEA-44E6-BA66-275F6A561664?mod=trending_now_video_1

Yea, 2010 seems old school and it does freak me a bit how much we come along, but since I have clear memory of 1990s technology (I'm an early Millenial and didn't use the Internet until middle school and didn't use a cellphone until college), it only makes it even freakier that I actually grew up at a time when snail mail and Walkman were commonplace with computers just as standalone toys. The biggest barometer is what the "classic hits" or especially "classic rock" station or even classic hip-hop station plays those oldies. Even some people my age now have teenaged kids!

Of course, watching certain things that have been around all (or almost) my life, such as Mario/Nintendo, franchises like TMNT, shows like The Simpsons, or more can easily blind the reality of what's taken place.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 12/19/19 at 1:29 pm

I don't really now since I've gotten used to the 2000s being old. Like mqg said I will still be in my 20s most of the 2020s so I will still be young most of the upcoming decade.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/22/19 at 1:17 am

I don't think I'm a core millennial, I'm a late millennial, but hopefully my two cents won't hurt. Yes it freaks me out. It freaks me out the movie Avatar is 10 years old as of a couple of weeks. That movie release feels like yesterday and it felt so new and the CGI looked so advanced. But I guess for today's standards, the CGI is not as realistic and advanced anymore.

Written By: Howard on 12/22/19 at 3:10 am

I don't think I'm a core millennial, I'm a late millennial, but hopefully my two cents won't hurt. Yes it freaks me out. It freaks me out the movie Avatar is 10 years old as of a couple of weeks. That movie release feels like yesterday and it felt so new and the CGI looked so advanced. But I guess for today's standards, the CGI is not as realistic and advanced anymore.

What freaks me out since I'm a Generation X guy is something I used to watch is now over 40 years old.  :o

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/23/19 at 10:47 am

As you get older, accepting that things you grew up with are also getting older can honestly be more difficult.

Here's a good example. Super Mario 64 is a pivotal game of my childhood. Playing that game for the first time as a kid, the first actual 3D game I ever played, completely blew me away. To this day, I still consider it to be among my favorite games ever made. I have a younger cousin, though, who is a 2009 born that played that game for the first time a little while back. He played for a few minutes, got bored with it, and quit. To him, it was just some crappy old game. After all, that game did come out 23 years ago, and 13 years before he was born. It would be like me playing Pong.

Unfortunately, since us Core Gen Yers are mostly over 30, this is something we all have to adapt to. Pokemon came to United States 21 years ago. Power Rangers debuted 26 years ago. Some of the early iconic Gen Y cartoons are over 30.

Written By: Howard on 12/23/19 at 3:53 pm

As you get older, accepting that things you grew up with are also getting older can honestly be more difficult.

Here's a good example. Super Mario 64 is a pivotal game of my childhood. Playing that game for the first time as a kid, the first actual 3D game I ever played, completely blew me away. To this day, I still consider it to be among my favorite games ever made. I have a younger cousin, though, who is a 2009 born that played that game for the first time a little while back. He played for a few minutes, got bored with it, and quit. To him, it was just some crappy old game. After all, that game did come out 23 years ago, and 13 years before he was born. It would be like me playing Pong.

Unfortunately, since us Core Gen Yers are mostly over 30, this is something we all have to adapt to. Pokemon came to United States 21 years ago. Power Rangers debuted 26 years ago. Some of the early iconic Gen Y cartoons are over 30.

I remember growing up with a Gameboy and now realizing that this year marks 30 years since it's debut, Wow, I'm getting old!  :o

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 12/31/19 at 4:27 pm

I just found this story today, and it references how one woman reenacts the lifestyle as it was around 2010, complete with Blackberry, 3G technology, primitive games, an iPod, and using desktops to post and use social media.

https://www.wsj.com/video/series/joanna-stern-personal-technology/24-hours-in-hell-with-only-2010-technology/EB55EA64-0FEA-44E6-BA66-275F6A561664?mod=trending_now_video_1

Yea, 2010 seems old school and it does freak me a bit how much we come along, but since I have clear memory of 1990s technology (I'm an early Millenial and didn't use the Internet until middle school and didn't use a cellphone until college), it only makes it even freakier that I actually grew up at a time when snail mail and Walkman were commonplace with computers just as standalone toys. The biggest barometer is what the "classic hits" or especially "classic rock" station or even classic hip-hop station plays those oldies. Even some people my age now have teenaged kids!

Of course, watching certain things that have been around all (or almost) my life, such as Mario/Nintendo, franchises like TMNT, shows like The Simpsons, or more can easily blind the reality of what's taken place.

Wow, I thought smartphones were already common place by 2010! I certainly remember in 2011, when I was at uni, they were everywhere.

Written By: 2001 on 12/31/19 at 9:10 pm

Wow, I thought smartphones were already common place by 2010! I certainly remember in 2011, when I was at uni, they were everywhere.

I was in uni in 2011 too. If we're not counting Blackberries as smartphones, I would say it was 50/50 or 40/60 on not owning a smartphone. Many people owned Blackberries instead.

It wasn't until the Samsung Galaxy S3 came out in spring 2012 that I noticed more normies owning a smartphone.

Written By: imrane on 01/04/20 at 10:35 am

Yes I do. It's like good times go faster. Sometimes it feels like yesterday Suite Life and Hannah Montana were running. And as a 1988 born things from the 90s feel ancient to me now yet deja vu/current at the same time when I see them again if that makes sense.

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 04/19/20 at 9:41 am

Yes I do. It's like good times go faster. Sometimes it feels like yesterday Suite Life and Hannah Montana were running. And as a 1988 born things from the 90s feel ancient to me now yet deja vu/current at the same time when I see them again if that makes sense.

I'm the same but it's more things from about 2003 onwards. For instance, I remember watching this, live, when I was 13
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBsN__InFOU
It all looks so fresh and modern, apart from the VHS tape it was obviously uploaded from. It's all so cool. A bloke down the road has one done up just like that, it always reminds me of this when I walk past it.

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 04/19/20 at 9:44 am

I was in uni in 2011 too. If we're not counting Blackberries as smartphones, I would say it was 50/50 or 40/60 on not owning a smartphone. Many people owned Blackberries instead.

It wasn't until the Samsung Galaxy S3 came out in spring 2012 that I noticed more normies owning a smartphone.

I see. It's all sort of blurred into one for me. 2010-12 was the time I was at uni. I remember smartphones being popular within that era. I'm a relative technophobe where phones are concerned, I just can't see the need to be able to access the internet and play games on a phone, I'd much rather be on front of a PC! I do have a tablet, that is just like a big phone, though. But I just don't have the need to carry such a piece of technology on my person, when out and about. So I have a basic phone and it works just perfectly, battery lasts forever and is always there when I need it.
But yeah, 2010-12 was the time when I remember smartphones appearing everywhere. I think around sometime in 2011 my mum got a smartphone and I always consider something mainstream when the older crowd finally get around to it.

Written By: Ripley on 04/29/20 at 4:18 pm

Yes! I’m 35 and it’s crazy how shows like “The Simple Life” and “One Tree Hill” we’re fresh shortly after I got out of high school. Now they’re old. I remember looking forward to so many movie releases that are now nearly 20 years old! The original XBox’s release and when Grand Theft Auto: Vice City was a new game. Also when Linkin Park and Evanescence released their first singles. The Motorola Razr!  All of this was so far away!

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 05/22/20 at 2:01 am

Yes! I’m 35 and it’s crazy how shows like “The Simple Life” and “One Tree Hill” we’re fresh shortly after I got out of high school. Now they’re old. I remember looking forward to so many movie releases that are now nearly 20 years old! The original XBox’s release and when Grand Theft Auto: Vice City was a new game. Also when Linkin Park and Evanescence released their first singles. The Motorola Razr!  All of this was so far away!

Yeah, I don't like it. I think getting older really sucks in a way. Especially if you didn't really "live life" when you were young. I tend to feel very out of place as a result of that.

Check for new replies or respond here...