inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2000s school year trends

Written By: mc98 on 12/26/19 at 3:54 pm

2000-2001: This was a transitional year for pop culture. Things were getting more early 00s. George Bush got elected as president. Teen pop was still popular but started to decrease in popularity once 2001 arrived. Nelly came into the scene and will be one of the biggest rappers of the early-mid 2000s Shrek was highly influential to the movie industry of the 2000s, which gave and opportunity for animated movies to add pop culture references in their films. The Neptunes became the one of the biggest hip-hop producers of the early 2000s. Shows like Survivor kick started the reality TV trend.

2001-2002: This was peak early 00s culture. The new gaming systems arrived with Gamecube, Xbox and PS2 getting huge sells. Ja Rule was the biggest rapper and R&B singers like J.Lo, Ashanti, and Alicia Keys were pretty big. Singers like P!nk changed her image from a R&B star wannabe to her pop rock image she is known for. Teen pop stars like Britney Spears and N Sync changed their image as well with more urban influences in their music. Bands like Linkin Park and Nickelback came into the scene and were the biggest bands of the time. This was the beginning of Harry Potter and Lord of The Ring movies, which were the biggest movie franchises of the 2000s. Pop punk and nu-metal were very popular as well.

2002-2003: Another peak year for early 00s culture. 8 mile was a very popular movie and Lose Yourself was the biggest hit that time. 50 Cent became popular and became one of the biggest rapper of the 2000s. Justin Timberlake pursued his solo career and did it very successfully. American Idol birthed a new star Kelly Clarkson and ultimately became of the biggest singers of the 2000s. Yu-Gi-Oh was super popular this year. Avril Lavigne debuted and was everywhere.

2003-2004: The last time early 00s culture was relevant and mid 00s culture coming in. Beyonce also went solo and she proved the world that she was unstoppable. Usher was also unstoppable. Crunk rap was big with Get Low by Lil Jon and other rap songs followed suit. Kanye West debuted and also became one of the biggest rappers of the 2000s. Many shows that peaked in the 90s were ending. DVD's was the dominant form of home video distribution over VHS.

2004-2005: This was peak mid 2000s culture. The Motorola Razr was the hottest phone of the time. The MySpace emo aesthetic started to gain traction and many pop punk bands were trying to sound and look emo. Hip Hop was everywhere, 50 Cent absolutely dominated this year. Ciara and Akon debuted and became big R&B stars. GTA San Andreas became the biggest game of the 2000s. iPods began to sell like crazy after low sales in 2001. The Nintendo DS was a huge seller.

2005-2006: Mostly mid 2000s but with upcoming late 00s trends. Social media sites like MySpace and Youtube were gaining popularity at the time. Emo started to gain national attention and there were some backlash against the movement. Newer artists came into the scene such as Rihanna, Chris Brown, T-Pain, Ne-Yo and Pussycat Dolls were gaining national attention as well. There came a new genre of hip-hop called Snap, which is a laid-back and minimal version of crunk rap. Crazy Frog was f**king annoying. Disney brands like Hannah Montana and High School Musical debuted and will eventually takeover the rest of the 2000s. The Office became popular and was the biggest show of the 2000s.

2006-2007: Slightly late 2000s with a lot of mid 00s leftovers. Emo was at it's peak with Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance, 30 Seconds To Mars, and All American Rejects. Snap rap took over the charts. Timbaland became the biggest hip hop producer this year. Electro began to influence pop music with Future Love/Sex Sounds and Loose. The Nintendo Wii was released and they were selling millions. Britney Spears having her meltdown. Fergie and Justin Timberlake took over the world with their album releases. Barack Obama runs for president. The iPhone was revealed.

2007-2008: The peak of late 2000s culture. Shows like The Office, iCarly, and Phineas and Ferb were massive. Rihanna took over the world with her Good Girl Gone Bad image. Chris Brown peaked this year. The biggest year for the Nintendo Wii with games like SSBB, Mario Galaxy and Mario Kart. Soulja Boy jumped into the scene and became a joke in hip-hop. Kanye West was the biggest rapper that time. Scene aesthetic began to take over emo aesthetic. The Recession started to impact the world economy. Facebook started to gain attention.

2008-2009: A very transitional year in the 2000s. Mostly late 2000s with upcoming early 2010s trends. Barack Obama was elected president while the Recession was going on. Lady Gaga changed the music scene with her electropop style that'll impact the music industry for the next few years. Britney Spears and Black Eyed Peas also hopped on the electropop trend. Blackberries became the biggest and hottest cellphones. This was the beginning of Call of Duty's golden age. Facebook slowly starting to dethrone MySpace in the social media industry. Twilight was a huge craze among teenage girls.

Subject: Re: 2000s school year trends

Written By: wixness on 12/26/19 at 7:17 pm

2000-2001: This was a transitional year for pop culture

Yeah I wished I were a teenager or an adult from 2006 or 2007. Only bad thing would be my career prospects, but I write this as someone who still doesn't have work and has been struggling, so it might not be much of a difference for me I think.

Written By: Mat1991 on 12/26/19 at 10:29 pm

Here's my perspective from how I remember it.

In 2004-2005, it was all about crunk hip hop. That was all I heard about at my school. I really don't recall emo being popular at all that entire school year, although I do remember one girl dressing more "goth" by the end of the year.

I didn't notice emo music and fashion until the 2005-2006 school year. At the beginning of that school year I began to see a lot of my classmates donning that style. Prior to that school year I had never heard of Green Day or My Chemical Romance, and in early 2006 the song I Write Sins Not Tragedies was huge.

Even though the emo subculture had already taken off, I don't recall actually hearing the word "emo" until around 2006-2007. That was when people really became conscious of the phenomenon and I saw classmates wear t-shirts that had a picture of Nemo with an emo haircut and the caption "Finding Emo."  :D

I had never heard of Myspace until late 2006. Prior to that another social media website called Bebo was popular among my classmates. I barely remember anything about it even though I had a page.  :P

Britney Spears had a highly publicized meltdown in late 2006 when she shaved her head. Everybody thought her career was over, but she made a big comeback in 2008 and seemed to have recovered.

Lady Gaga had just entered the scene around 2008-2009, but she hadn't hit her peak yet. Her peak wouldn't come until her song Bad Romance was released in 2009, and by that time she had become the "It Girl." People were speculating that she was the next Madonna.  :P

Myspace was still huge throughout most of the 2008-2009 school year. Facebook didn't dethrone Myspace among teenagers until 2009-2010, which was my senior year of high school.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 12/28/19 at 3:50 am

Here's my perspective from how I remember it.

In 2004-2005, it was all about crunk hip hop. That was all I heard about at my school. I really don't recall emo being popular at all that entire school year, although I do remember one girl dressing more "goth" by the end of the year.

I didn't notice emo music and fashion until the 2005-2006 school year. At the beginning of that school year I began to see a lot of my classmates donning that style. Prior to that school year I had never heard of Green Day or My Chemical Romance, and in early 2006 the song I Write Sins Not Tragedies was huge.

Even though the emo subculture had already taken off, I don't recall actually hearing the word "emo" until around 2006-2007. That was when people really became conscious of the phenomenon and I saw classmates wear t-shirts that had a picture of Nemo with an emo haircut and the caption "Finding Emo."  :D

I had never heard of Myspace until late 2006. Prior to that another social media website called Bebo was popular among my classmates. I barely remember anything about it even though I had a page.  :P

Britney Spears had a highly publicized meltdown in late 2006 when she shaved her head. Everybody thought her career was over, but she made a big comeback in 2008 and seemed to have recovered.

Lady Gaga had just entered the scene around 2008-2009, but she hadn't hit her peak yet. Her peak wouldn't come until her song Bad Romance was released in 2009, and by that time she had become the "It Girl." People were speculating that she was the next Madonna.  :P

Myspace was still huge throughout most of the 2008-2009 school year. Facebook didn't dethrone Myspace among teenagers until 2009-2010, which was my senior year of high school.

This ! I was born maybe 5-6 years after you but this is how I remember the 2000’s as well. I don’t remember emo being much of a thing till 2005-2006. Green days “American idiot” and “wake me up when September ends” didn’t sound emo to me either. When Fall out boy and My Chemical Romance gained mass popularity in 2005-2006 is when I remember emo becoming more mainstream. I definitely remember people in 2003-2004 being “goth” but never “emo”.  I mean emo was definitely a sub culture but it didn’t become mainstream till 2005-2006 from what I remember. I also don’t think 2004-2005 was peak mid 2000’s culture like what OP stated. There were still some early 2000’s influences during that time that were completely dead by 2005-2006.

I too had myspace in 2008 when I was in middle school but by 2009 it was dead and I signed up with facebook (I had my 10 year fb anniversary in may hahah).

Check for new replies or respond here...