inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 2004 throwback thread

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/05/20 at 3:50 pm

Now that it's 2020, it's time to throwback the nostalgia of 2004. Here are some videos from that year to enjoy.

0d5eP0wWLQY

GxBSyx85Kp8

z8Q-sRdV7SY

TcWPiHjIExA

Subject: Re: The 2004 throwback thread

Written By: 2001 on 01/05/20 at 9:15 pm

LOL William Hung. A real blast from the past, I still have the lyrics memorized. ;D

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 01/05/20 at 9:42 pm

I'm bookmarking this because I love the mid 2000s.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/06/20 at 12:29 am

I love 2004. Thank you for making this thread and appreciating the mid 2000s.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/06/20 at 6:55 am

I love 2004. Thank you for making this thread and appreciating the mid 2000s.

My pleasure! 2004 was one of my favorite years of the 00's. It had a feel good vibe to it. I'm hoping for 2020 will be similar.

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/06/20 at 7:35 am

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71rM4aQPpUL._SY445_.jpg

RwkNnMrsx7Q

https://media.giphy.com/media/z3XXGAb53rz8c/giphy.gif

https://ionemadamenoire.files.wordpress.com/2017/05/kimora-110.jpg?w=900&h=1200

Written By: Dundee on 01/06/20 at 8:27 am

I remember this year like it was yesterday!

I love 2004 ;D

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/06/20 at 8:58 am

This is the year my family and I went to Spain. Got sunstroke for the first time in my life, spent two days in bed feeling physically sick. Fun times.  ;D

Written By: mqg96 on 01/06/20 at 1:27 pm

This year was practically the height of my childhood (along with 2006). I made a lot of friends in 2nd grade and they threw a surprise 8th birthday party for me. Best year for cinema of the 2000's decade and it's not even close. 6th gen gaming was at its peak, and so forth. Michael Vick had his best season with the Falcons with an 11-5 record and a trip to the NFC Championship. TV was very balanced this year. 2004 got a lot of hate from kids of the 90's back then, glad that it's getting the love it always deserved.

Written By: Mat1991 on 01/07/20 at 12:35 pm

It was an election year and Nickelodeon was airing educational commercials like clockwork. I particularly remember this one with its catchy jingle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9-yHtMmhUA

Written By: Emman on 01/07/20 at 9:55 pm

Just another year to me, the '04 election was the first I was eligible to vote in but the choices were so underwhelming I decided to skip election night.

2004 was also the year I started visiting this website.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/07/20 at 11:30 pm

Ahh 2004 - that year 40-something me lost a bunch of weight.  I briefly had a physical trainer at my health club - she put me on Atkins.  That was a big year for low-carb dieting.  (It was the not-too-long-ago mid-90's where low-fat dieting was all the rage; doing that just made me worse off.)  I was delighted to lose weight but then I couldn't figure out how to maintain it without staying low-carb; I did keep it off pretty well, but that's because I continued low-carbing and continued exercising.  For a few years.

I could certainly stand to lose some weight these days!  ;D  It's difficult to start up low-carbing, though...

Written By: nally on 01/07/20 at 11:48 pm

2004 was also the year I started visiting this website.

Awesome! That's the year I became a member on this website!

(Before then, I only posted here as a guest; this was on the old version of the site...which went byebye in April of that year.)

Written By: fusefan on 01/07/20 at 11:57 pm

Ahh 2004 - that year 40-something me lost a bunch of weight.  I briefly had a physical trainer at my health club - she put me on Atkins.  That was a big year for low-carb dieting.  (It was the not-too-long-ago mid-90's where low-fat dieting was all the rage; doing that just made me worse off.)  I was delighted to lose weight but then I couldn't figure out how to maintain it without staying low-carb; I did keep it off pretty well, but that's because I continued low-carbing and continued exercising.  For a few years.

I could certainly stand to lose some weight these days!  ;D  It's difficult to start up low-carbing, though...

I remember the low carb diet trend being all over the place in 2004. “Low carb” in 2004 is what “going green” was in 2008. Lots of advertisers and companies jumped on the trend. Remember Coke C2?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola_C2

Anyway, 2004 is when my family finally jumped into 2000s computer technology. I started the year still using a Windows 98 machine with a Dial-Up connection and ended the year with a Windows XP machine with a cable modem. It was really fun going on newgrounds and ebaumsworld back then and browsing their now defunct “moron mail” section. BTW does anybody remember a site called webshots.com? It was like Instagram before Instagram.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/08/20 at 2:49 am

2003-2004 was like the peak of my childhood. It was such a great year. I miss it so so so much 🥺

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KCHgxoXv4g4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5Sy19X0xxrM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LOZuxwVk7TU

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AqeIiF0DlTg

Written By: Howard on 01/08/20 at 3:30 pm

Why? Are you gaining weight?  ???

Written By: Mat1991 on 01/09/20 at 3:53 pm

The 2004 presidential election was also the first election I really paid attention to. My parents have always voted for the Democratic Party even though we live in a red area, so I supported Kerry. When Bush won I asked my dad if we could move to Canada.  :D

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/09/20 at 8:10 pm

The 2004 presidential election was also the first election I really paid attention to. My parents have always voted for the Democratic Party even though we live in a red area, so I supported Kerry. When Bush won I asked my dad if we could move to Canada.  :D

That was the first election I voted in.

Written By: 2001 on 01/09/20 at 8:12 pm

It was also the first election I paid attention to too. There was a shouting match over it at school. I thought no one would support Bush in Canada but there were surprisingly many.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/03/20 at 8:36 pm

Remember the Superbowl of 2004? It was the one with the infamous wardrobe malfunction during the Halftime Show with Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake. It was mentioned in some of the blog comments about last night's Halftime Show. Speaking of last night's Superbowl, the song "Yeah!" by Usher was featured in a commercial for Amazon/Alexa with Ellen Degeneres.

Written By: Howard on 02/04/20 at 7:02 am

Remember the Superbowl of 2004? It was the one with the infamous wardrobe malfunction during the Halftime Show with Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake. It was mentioned in some of the blog comments about last night's Halftime Show. Speaking of last night's Superbowl, the song "Yeah!" by Usher was featured in a commercial for Amazon/Alexa with Ellen Degeneres.

I'm pretty sure nobody wants to remember that.  ::)

Written By: nally on 02/04/20 at 11:18 am

Remember the Superbowl of 2004? It was the one with the infamous wardrobe malfunction during the Halftime Show with Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake. It was mentioned in some of the blog comments about last night's Halftime Show.

I'm pretty sure nobody wants to remember that.  ::)

That's right; this past Saturday marked 16 years since that infamous incident. ::)

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/09/20 at 1:33 pm

So far this year I've watched Barbershop 2, 50 First Dates, and 13 Going on 30. I try to align watching them as close to their original release dates in 2004 as possible. I've also been listening to Usher's Confessions album (the extended version) on Spotify.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/12/20 at 6:01 pm

Just watched this last night. I'm thinking to watch it every Easter.

4Aif1qEB_JU

Written By: Dundee on 05/02/20 at 4:16 pm

My pleasure! 2004 was one of my favorite years of the 00's. It had a feel good vibe to it. I'm hoping for 2020 will be similar.
I made recently a 2004 musical thread over on another forum! I think you'd enjoy my picks :)

In these dark days I've found some solace in reexploring my childhood decade, and in that endeavor I discovered how much I really like 2004 in particular. The year was simply filled to the brim with delicious pop evocations full of life and diversity.Here are some of my favorites:
8kyWDhB_QeI
OextkIf8HQ
iBHNgV6_znU
uzR5jM9UeJA
gWju37TZfo0
b7k0a5hYnSI
8YzabSdk7ZA
kIC0aQ56ASE
zI339U6GS9s
Qv5ZU06JDN4
GhCXAiNz9Jo
To celebrate a year that doesn't seem to get enough appreciation I'm creating this thread so you could also post your favorite '04 bops as well!

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/03/20 at 4:18 pm

Just watched this movie last night. This one was always good.

rb-ZEBBKolc

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/30/20 at 9:52 am

Just watched this last night, just one day after the release date in 2004 (May 28). This was one of my favorite movies of the summer and have always been impressed by the visual effects. I think about it when we experience weather anomalies, and it really sets the tone of climate change. I also remember discussing the movie with a Bible study group and one thing that was offensive to them is that they felt the movie was anti-Bush, as the VP in the movie was a portrail of Dick Cheney. It also reminded me of Trump this year ignoring the warning about the pandemic. I'm sure those same church members are supporting Trump today.

Ku_IseK3xTc

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/30/20 at 3:50 pm

I remember people often citing 2004 as "the last old-school year". It was the last year before YouTube and Web 2.0, the last year Bush was relatively popular, the last year Nick and Cartoon Network still had the 90s shows, the last year before ringtone rap became popular, the last year WWE still had The Rock, the last year where dial-up was still common, etc.

I do miss 2004 (except for Bush and dial-up), it felt like an equilibrium year of the old and new.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/14/20 at 7:57 am

TobExyaPwQg

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/14/20 at 8:13 am

I was 5. 2004 is a year that I have a lot of nostalgia for and great memories of. I can remember my Mum coming back home from her holiday to Bali with this huge stack of pirated PS2 games, which was awesome for me at the time! "The Wild Thornberrys", "Jimmy Neutron" and "Spongebob" were some of my favourite shows. I can distinctively remember hearing songs like "Left Outside Alone", "Hey Ya!" and "Behind Blue Eyes" in the car with my Mum, so many of the songs from back then make me feel so nostalgic.

Written By: piecesof93 on 09/15/20 at 4:22 am

TobExyaPwQg

I really enjoyed this video.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/15/20 at 10:14 am

I really enjoyed this video.

I should have led the thread off with it, but then again I wanted to post specifics. Too bad we can only choose 2 videos.

Anyhow I watched this movie recently. I remember the tagline "Whoever wins, we lose". Sounds like this year's elections, lol.

Cld40qD7HcY

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/17/20 at 8:23 am

About a month late, but here are some highlights from the Athens Olympics OC. This is one Olympics I missed because I didn't have cable (let alone TiVo) at the time.

3mRNxt5NuGk

Written By: nally on 09/17/20 at 12:51 pm

First half of the year: I was in my toughest academic semester ever. I felt like I wasn't understanding anything. (That's also when I first joined this site, as stated in a previous post. I just know that it felt good to join a nice online community.)

Second half of the year: I had a "take-it-easy" semester, in which I toyed with the idea of changing my academic semester.

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/08/20 at 9:50 am

Summary of the 2004 elections. Back when George W. Bush was the incumbent, and Donald Trump was hosting on The Apprentice.

sKDkSuLZrXE

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/18/20 at 3:47 pm

Anyone remember this iPod commercial? I was thinking about it when I was listening to the Black Eyed Peas Elephunk album.

7dAVk-Fhcj4

Written By: Slim95 on 11/12/20 at 11:11 pm

I believe this commercial was from 2004 if my memory serves right.

sCpeIKVIHbY&ab_channel=nielsenstephens

Written By: Slim95 on 11/12/20 at 11:14 pm

I've also been listening to Usher's Confessions album (the extended version) on Spotify.

I remember the song Confessions Part 2 and I've always wondered what happened to Part 1?  ???

Written By: Slim95 on 11/12/20 at 11:32 pm

This was one of the most popular songs of 2004

3YxaaGgTQYM&ab_channel=EvanescenceVEVO

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/13/20 at 6:58 am

I remember the song Confessions Part 2 and I've always wondered what happened to Part 1?  ???

Part 1 was the interlude which includes the phone call and from when he sang "Every time I was in L.A. I was with my ex-girlfriend..." to when he said "But there's more... listen". On the album it was 2 separate tracks even though in the music video it was combined as one.

5Sy19X0xxrM

In 2020 he was supposed to release the album titled Confessions Part 2 but that could cause confusion with the song of the same name.

https://genius.com/albums/Usher/Confessions-2

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/24/20 at 3:06 pm

Here's my list of all the things I think 2004 is remembered for:

- Music: Usher, Black Eyed Peas, Kanye West, Maroon 5, Green Day, Ciara, Gwen Stefani, Hoobastank, Evanescence, The Killers
- Movies: Mean Girls, 13 Going on 30, Napoleon Dynamite, I-Robot, The Day After Tomorrow, Passion of the Christ, The Notebook, Saw, The Village, The Grudge
- TV: Lost, Desperate Housewives, House, The Apprentice, Pimp My Ride
- Video games: GTA San Andreas
- Ronald Reagan's death as well as Yasser Arafat, Christopher Reeve, Ray Charles, and Rick James
- The Elections between GWB and John Kerry (including the Howard Dean speech during the primary)
- The Summer Olympics in Athens, Greece
- SpaceShipOne flight
- Kyle Jennings winning streak on Jeopardy
- Red Sox winning the World Series for the first time since 1918 (breaking the "Curse of the Bambino")
- The Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction at the Superbowl Halftime Show
- The "basketbrawl" between the Indiana Pacers and Detroit Pistons (mainly Ron Artest who jumped into the stands and fought with spectators)
- The Ashlee Simpson lip synching fail on SNL and the awkward hoe down dance
- 4 hurricanes in the Southeastern US which was a lot at the time (Charley, Frances, Ivan, Jeanne)
- The ongoing Iraq War (especially in Fallujah)
- The earthquake/tsunami in Indonesia/Indian Ocean the day after Christmas. The only event that remotely resembled what seemed to be regular news in 2020.

That's all I can think of. Please feel free to add anything.

Written By: nally on 12/05/20 at 12:48 pm

This was one of the most popular songs of 2014

Actually, it was a huge hit 11 years before that, way back in '03. :o

They did have another big hit in '04, with "My Immortal."

Written By: Slim95 on 12/05/20 at 12:49 pm

Actually, it was a huge hit 11 years before that, way back in '03. :o

They did have another big hit in '04, with "My Immortal."

I meant 2004. It was a typo.  :P

Written By: nally on 12/05/20 at 3:32 pm

I meant 2004. It was a typo.  :P

No worries ;)

But yeah, I do remember "My Immortal" all over the radio then.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/13/20 at 7:53 am

One of my favorite Christmas movies of all time. I remembered watching this in the theater and it really changed my mood for the better.

TQhRqtt-Fpo

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/20/20 at 7:45 pm

I remember watching this ad when flying home from Christmas on a Delta flight for its former subsidiary airline, Song. The song featured is "Wish I" by Jem.

Hlc1GdczeXA

Written By: mercuryse7entenorsea on 12/21/20 at 11:41 pm

Ah yes, 2004. The year before I was born. At least I was conceived in the late part of it.

I feel really young here.

Check for new replies or respond here...