inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is early 2000s nostalgia dead online?

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/06/20 at 8:37 pm

From 2008-2015, 90s nostalgia dominated the internet. Then from 2015-2018, the internet moved briefly into early 2000s nostalgia.

But now in 2018-2020, the internet seems to have mostly moved into late 2000s-early 2010s nostalgia. On YouTube at least, the amount of nostalgia content for that era far overwhelms the nostalgia for any other era, lol.

http://i.4pcdn.org/tv/1574367364469.jpg

Feels kinda weird to me. But then again, I'm sure older people also felt weird when "classic 90s" nostalgia (SNES, Genesis, Power Rangers, Fresh Prince) died online and Y2K era nostalgia (N64, PS1, Pokemon, Malcolm in the Middle) largely took over it in terms of Facebook memes, tribute videos, Buzzfeed lists, etc.

So it's a cycle. The world's always changing, and everyone has their own different path/childhood culture/generation in life, etc etc.

Subject: Re: Is early 2000s nostalgia dead online?

Written By: wixness on 01/06/20 at 8:46 pm

I think the 2000s overall is a highly stigmatized decade, or at least one without a clear cultural identity. People in that decade seemed to just simply try to live through it and not make a name for it. I could say the same thing for this decade, but I think it's because more noteworthy changes have been made that would have been unthinkable in the previous decade, such as same-sex marriage and the influence of Daesh.

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/06/20 at 11:29 pm

Late 2000s/early 2010s nostalgia is only big with people who were kids then - so today’s teenagers (and maybe very early 20s). Nobody else is really bothered. It’s just that certain online spaces are dominated by teenagers - being in my mid 20s, this is one of the few places online where I don’t feel old in comparison to most other people. YouTube comments are full of kids and even Reddit is skewing younger depending on the sub.

I do think that people our age largely got all the early 2000s nostalgia out of our system pretty early on though. I remember being nostalgic for the early 2000s when I was only 16 in 2011 which in retrospect seems silly. A decade seemed a lot bigger to me then than it does now.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/07/20 at 1:15 am

I do think that people our age largely got all the early 2000s nostalgia out of our system pretty early on though. I remember being nostalgic for the early 2000s when I was only 16 in 2011 which in retrospect seems silly. A decade seemed a lot bigger to me then than it does now.

Yep. I remember back in 2012 when Youtubers like Rebeltaxi were already talking wistfully about early 2000s stuff like Osmosis Jones and Teen Titans as though they were 30 years ago, when they were only 10 years ago at that point lol.

Now in 2020, I look back on those videos from 2012 and feel nostalgic for the early 2000s nostalgia I felt in 2012. Nostalgiaception.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 01/07/20 at 2:11 am

This honestly doesn't surprise me. I'm almost 21 and I have nostalgia for the Late 2000s. I was 8-10 years old during those years, they were my childhood, as were the Mid 2000s. So it makes sense for today's teenagers to be clinging onto things from their early childhoods and strongly identifying with them. People my age were doing the exact same thing with the Early 2000s just a few years ago. It's the circle of life. :P

Written By: Sman12 on 01/07/20 at 10:26 am

This honestly doesn't surprise me. I'm almost 21 and I have nostalgia for the Late 2000s. I was 8-10 years old during those years, they were my childhood, as were the Mid 2000s. So it makes sense for today's teenagers to be clinging onto things from their early childhoods and strongly identifying with them. People my age were doing the exact same thing with the Early 2000s just a few years ago. It's the circle of life. :P

I'm guilty as charged. I sometimes spend my time watching YouTube videos of past TV channel recordings from the late 2000s and early 2010s for nostalgia fuel.

Written By: fusefan on 01/07/20 at 2:01 pm

I remember as recent as 2012 people acted befuddled when you called 1999 old. But to me it felt like an ETERNITY ago.

Example: The comments on this Awkward Family Photos post. They might as well acted the poster called 2009 “back in the day” in 2012.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150321221322/http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/2012/01/09/worlds-best-dad/#comments

So I’m totally not surprised when people in their later teens and early 20s feel the same way about say... 2009. Even it it doesn’t feel that old to me, to someone a decade younger it might as well be ancient history.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/10/20 at 8:49 am

I wouldn't say that it's dead, but it's just shifted demographics. Most social media is dominated by teenagers, many of whom today had their peak childhood's during the late '00s and early '10s.

By comparison, most early '00s nostalgia would be focused on late 20s and early 30s guys like me who were growing up around 2000.

I love the Y2K era. I still watch TV shows from back then, and play video games from back then, more often than modern stuff. But, I'm also over 30 years old, so I'm not exactly going to go on social media and make a bunch of posts about it.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/10/20 at 9:02 am

I love the Y2K era. I still watch TV shows from back then, and play video games from back then, more often than modern stuff. But, I'm also over 30 years old, so I'm not exactly going to go on social media and make a bunch of posts about it.

Yeah, the peak target audience for early 2000's nostalgia are those who are currently in their late 20's (even those 30 this year too), those who spent the majority of their childhood in the early 00's, all of them have long grown up and matured. Mature adults in their later 20's and 30's aren't going to make nostalgia pages anymore like they did 10 years ago. The current teens and early 20's today have taken over nostalgia for the late 00's or early 10's.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/10/20 at 3:11 pm

In terms of kid culture I think the early 2000’s is dead bc it basically just got lumped in with the 90’s unfortunately. In terms of culture definitely not. Y2k fashion is in hardcore right now. I even notice DJ kahled incorporating early 2000’s hits in his music and radio stations now play anything before 2007 and brand them as “throwback” or “old school” lmfao.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/10/20 at 3:14 pm

Yeah, the peak target audience for early 2000's nostalgia are those who are currently in their late 20's (even those 30 this year too), those who spent the majority of their childhood in the early 00's, all of them have long grown up and matured. Mature adults in their later 20's and 30's aren't going to make nostalgia pages anymore like they did 10 years ago. The current teens and early 20's today have taken over nostalgia for the late 00's or early 10's.

I have to disagree. Those in their late 20’s are always nostalgic about the 90’s. I feel like the early 2000’s was mid to late 90’s baby territory considering that was the era we started elementary school, lost our first tooth and became more culturally aware. People in their late 20’s were going into middle school during the early 2000’s. If you mean preteen/teen culture then yeah probably.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/10/20 at 3:20 pm

I wouldn't say that it's dead, but it's just shifted demographics. Most social media is dominated by teenagers, many of whom today had their peak childhood's during the late '00s and early '10s.

By comparison, most early '00s nostalgia would be focused on late 20s and early 30s guys like me who were growing up around 2000.

But I thought most late 20’s and early 30’s peeps grew up in the 90’s. I was born in 1997 and I feel nostalgic about every year from 2000 onwards. I remember getting my Ps2  for Christmas 2001, i remember loosing my first tooth back in 2002 in my kindergarten class, playing jump rope, going to see spy kids, the fashion, the toys, riding my digimon hot wheels bike to the park circa 2002-2003, hit clips, my hello kitty boom box and my DC3 CD I got for my birthday in 2002. Going to Disneyland summer of 2001, Breaking my arm in 2003 two days after my 6th birthday (ouch). Being in preschool in 2000 and going to santa monica. Idk  I felt like that was my nostalgia and I feel like the late 80’s and early 90’s babies got the 90’s.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/10/20 at 4:18 pm

I have to disagree. Those in their late 20’s are always nostalgic about the 90’s. I feel like the early 2000’s was mid to late 90’s baby territory considering that was the era we started elementary school, lost our first tooth and became more culturally aware. People in their late 20’s were going into middle school during the early 2000’s. If you mean preteen/teen culture then yeah probably.

Naw, those in their late 20's (or turning 30 this year) are just as nostalgic for the early 00's as the late 90's. They were prime kids in elementary school when 2000 started while we were still toddlers. We may have started our core childhoods in the late 90's or early 00's, but our childhoods did not peak in the early 00's. Peak means height or absolute top. Keep in mind I'm not talking about core, I'm talking about peak. The height of our childhoods occurred in the mid 00's, our earlier childhoods in the early 00's and our later childhoods in the late 00's, and we came of age throughout the 2010's. Going on 24 this year, I even feel like now the 2010's decade in its entirety I'll look back as my "growing up" decade or my "come of age" decade. Even tho I graduated HS almost 6 years ago now, I was still very immature and naive back then compared to today and had no idea how the real world was going to be like having a real job or internship. MachineHead has every right to feel nostalgic for the early 00's because he was a teen at the time and it may have been his "come of age" period.

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/10/20 at 4:25 pm

People who were teenagers or young adults in the early 2000s should be the main target for early 2000s nostalgia, in real life anyway.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/10/20 at 4:44 pm

Naw, those in their late 20's (or turning 30 this year) are just as nostalgic for the early 00's as the late 90's. They were prime kids in elementary school when 2000 started while we were still toddlers. We may have started our core childhoods in the late 90's or early 00's, but our childhoods did not peak in the early 00's. Peak means height or absolute top. Keep in mind I'm not talking about core, I'm talking about peak. The height of our childhoods occurred in the mid 00's, our earlier childhoods in the early 00's and our later childhoods in the late 00's, and we came of age throughout the 2010's. Going on 24 this year, I even feel like now the 2010's decade in its entirety I'll look back as my "growing up" decade or my "come of age" decade. Even tho I graduated HS almost 6 years ago now, I was still very immature and naive back then compared to today and had no idea how the real world was going to be like having a real job or internship. MachineHead has every right to feel nostalgic for the early 00's because he was a teen at the time and it may have been his "come of age" period.

I wasn’t a toddler in 2000 or when the 2000’s started tho ? Toddlerhood is 12-36 months and after age 3 you are a preschool aged child (psych/child development major) I mean peak childhood is a made up concept 90’s kids used to use in order to validate their superiority complex over anyone  who was under 7 in the 90’s. There is no such thing as peak. Childhood is a myriad of experiences not a race to the top and a decline to the bottom. I can only speak for myself but I am not nostalgic for the late 2000’s the same way those born in let’s say 2002 would be nostalgic for that time frame and I believe the same rule applies to those who were pre teens and teenagers during the early 2000’s.They saw the world differently than us. We were kids, innocent and simple. 2000 is not the only year of the early 2000’s either. Also not saying Machinehead doesn't have a right to feel nostalgic, I just feel like you don’t have to be 30 to feel nostalgic for the early 2000’s. You can be 22-23-24-25 and feel nostalgic for that time as those ages have vivid clear memories from that era as children and not teens.

I look at the late 2000’s and early 10’s as my coming age experience considering I was in junior high and high school for that era btw. After 2006 I felt like a pre teen considering I was. I don’t think maturity has much to do with anything. Especially when it comes to nostalgia considering its predicated around younger years of immaturity. No one is ever fully mature either.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/10/20 at 4:46 pm

People who were teenagers or young adults in the early 2000s should be the main target for early 2000s nostalgia, in real life anyway.

I mean yeah in terms of pop culture, politics and young living, but as far as kid culture absolutely not.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/10/20 at 4:57 pm

I wasn’t a toddler in 2000 or when the 2000’s started tho.....

You gotta understand (and I had to as well trust me) it's not about you, it's about everyone around our age on average. People around our age were old enough to enjoy the early 00's, mid 00's, and yes, even young enough for late 00's too, all when talking about kid or mainstream culture. Our prime years in elementary school around let's say 2nd, 3rd, or 4th grade, kids around our age ate up all the kid culture and the biggest trends throughout the time. On average, the mid 00's were the height of our childhoods and there's no denying it. I'm not saying the early 00's weren't apart of our childhoods because it obviously was, I clearly remember the early 00's myself, but it wasn't our peak or height because we were just entering our main kid years at the time. When New Years 2000 hit, I was only 3 about to turn 4, when 2009 ended, I was 13 in middle school past my prime kid years, but throughout the mid 00's (2003-2006) I had never entered or exited my main kid years, I was in my prime kid years at the peak or height of it. Think of all the kid trends and even some mainstream cultural trends that we were at the perfect age to understand and enjoy both, that's what I'm talking about.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/10/20 at 5:06 pm

You gotta understand (and I had to as well trust me) it's not about you, it's about everyone around our age on average. People around our age were old enough to enjoy the early 00's, mid 00's, and yes, even young enough for late 00's too, all when talking about kid or mainstream culture. Our prime years in elementary school around let's say 2nd, 3rd, or 4th grade, kids around our age ate up all the kid culture and the biggest trends throughout the time. On average, the mid 00's were the height of our childhoods and there's no denying it. I'm not saying the early 00's weren't apart of our childhoods because it obviously was, I clearly remember the early 00's myself, but it wasn't our peak or height because we were just entering our main kid years at the time. When New Years 2000 hit, I was only 3 about to turn 4, when 2009 ended, I was 13 in middle school past my prime kid years, but throughout the mid 00's (2003-2006) I had never entered or exited my main kid years, I was in my prime kid years at the peak or height of it. Think of all the kid trends and even some mainstream cultural trends that we were at the perfect age to understand and enjoy both, that's what I'm talking about.

I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. I don’t believe in peak childhood tbh. That is a fabrication that once again 90’s kids used to validate their superiority over anyone who was under age 7 in the 90’s. Also we are getting pop culture and kid culture intertwined here. In 2003-2004 the majority of kid culture was still early 2000’s, not mid in the slightest (hit clips, lizzie mc guire, Thats so raven, cartoon network, freaky friday, Nickelodeon, fashion, confessions of a teenage drama queen, shes the man, etc). I can see 2003 as the start of mid 2000’s pop culture but not kid culture. There is no denying that we were kids for the entirety of the 2000’s but that doesn’t mean our nostalgia is exclusive to the mid 2000’s because we were older than what we were in 2001. I consider myself an early-mid 2000’s kid or kid of the millennium (millennium era ?) as that is when my childhood started and spent most of my actual childhood in.

Written By: shrinkingviolet on 01/10/20 at 5:43 pm

I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. I don’t believe in peak childhood tbh. That is a fabrication that once again 90’s kids used to validate their superiority over anyone who was under age 7 in the 90’s. Also we are getting pop culture and kid culture intertwined here. In 2003-2004 the majority of kid culture was still early 2000’s, not mid in the slightest (hit clips, lizzie mc guire, Thats so raven, cartoon network, freaky friday, Nickelodeon, fashion, confessions of a teenage drama queen, shes the man, etc). I can see 2003 as the start of mid 2000’s pop culture but not kid culture. There is no denying that we were kids for the entirety of the 2000’s but that doesn’t mean our nostalgia is exclusive to the mid 2000’s because we were older than what we were in 2001. I consider myself an early-mid 2000’s kid or kid of the millennium (millennium era ?) as that is when my childhood started and spent most of my actual childhood in.
I was born in 1994 and I agree with you. 2003/2004 was still the early 2000s for kids.

Written By: 2001 on 01/10/20 at 5:56 pm

From 2008-2015, 90s nostalgia dominated the internet. Then from 2015-2018, the internet moved briefly into early 2000s nostalgia.

But now in 2018-2020, the internet seems to have mostly moved into late 2000s-early 2010s nostalgia. On YouTube at least, the amount of nostalgia content for that era far overwhelms the nostalgia for any other era, lol.

http://i.4pcdn.org/tv/1574367364469.jpg

Feels kinda weird to me. But then again, I'm sure older people also felt weird when "classic 90s" nostalgia (SNES, Genesis, Power Rangers, Fresh Prince) died online and Y2K era nostalgia (N64, PS1, Pokemon, Malcolm in the Middle) largely took over it in terms of Facebook memes, tribute videos, Buzzfeed lists, etc.

So it's a cycle. The world's always changing, and everyone has their own different path/childhood culture/generation in life, etc etc.

Why are kids nostalgic over Minecraft when it still exists? Mind boggling.

Written By: 2001 on 01/10/20 at 6:03 pm

I was born in 1994 and I agree with you. 2003/2004 was still the early 2000s for kids.

For me the early 2000s were over by then. Pokémon Johto and Dragon Ball Z were over. Yu-gi-oh was still strong, but that was popular through 2006. Also Lizzie McGuire ended in 2003 not long after the movie came out, not 2004 (not that I watched it all that often :-X). The movies of late 2003 like Freak Friday, Cheaper By the Dozen, School of Rock etc. still scream early 2000s though, because of their early 2000s punk rock soundtrack.

2003-04 school year is still one of my favourites though. All the new TV shows and video games (except Mario Kart Double Dash) were crap so I spent a lot of time with my friends ;D

I will make an exception for Justice League, that was kickass. I was also into Beyblade, never sure if that's an early 2000s or mid-2000s, it got started in 2002 but its peak was 2003/2004 which is more mid-2000s.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/10/20 at 7:42 pm

For me the early 2000s were over by then. Pokémon Johto and Dragon Ball Z were over. Yu-gi-oh was still strong, but that was popular through 2006. Also Lizzie McGuire ended in 2003 not long after the movie came out, not 2004 (not that I watched it all that often :-X). The movies of late 2003 like Freak Friday, Cheaper By the Dozen, School of Rock etc. still scream early 2000s though, because of their early 2000s punk rock soundtrack.

2003-04 school year is still one of my favourites though. All the new TV shows and video games (except Mario Kart Double Dash) were crap so I spent a lot of time with my friends ;D

I will make an exception for Justice League, that was kickass. I was also into Beyblade, never sure if that's an early 2000s or mid-2000s, it got started in 2002 but its peak was 2003/2004 which is more mid-2000s.

Well Lizzie McGuire in the states ended in Feb of 2004. But I don’t think that show is the only show that makes up the early 2000’s culturally (for kids). Dragon ball Z was a product of the 80’s and Pokemon Johto’s journey lasted less then a year from Oct 2000 - Aug 2001. Shows that actually started in the early 2000’s lasted until the mid 2000’s or so (proud family, kim possible, that’s so raven, invader zim). The early 2000’s wasn’t all about pokemon. At least for me. I wasn’t into it all that much. There is no way I can look at The Cheetah Girls (August 2003) and call that a mid 2000’s movie what so ever. There’s too many y2k influence/fashion in that movie. Even when Shrek 2 came out in 2004, the trends for kids around that time just screamed early 2000’s with the  whole re-launch of the green ketchup and the green gogurts, cookies and frostings.

Even these kid commercials from 2004 scream early 2000’s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GWP950zkA3M

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vCWwxxjBA9M

Written By: 2001 on 01/10/20 at 8:30 pm

Well Lizzie McGuire in the states ended in Feb of 2004. But I don’t think that show is the only show that makes up the early 2000’s culturally (for kids). Dragon ball Z was a product of the 90’s and Pokemon Johto lasted less then a year from Oct 2000 - Aug 2001. Shows that actually started in the early 2000’s lasted until the mid 2000’s or so (proud family, kim possible, that’s so raven, invader zim). The early 2000’s wasn’t all about pokemon. At least for me. I wasn’t into it all that much. There is no way I can look at The Cheetah Girls (August 2003) and call that a mid 2000’s movie what so ever. There’s too many y2k influence/fashion in that movie. Even when Shrek 2 came out in 2004, the trends for kids around that time just screamed early 2000’s with the  whole re-launch of the green ketchup and the green gogurts, cookies and frostings.

Even these kid commercials from 2004 scream early 2000’s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GWP950zkA3M

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vCWwxxjBA9M

I feel like you're completely disregarding 2000 and 2001 and putting a lot of emphasis on 2004 (??). Pokémon was everything and anything in 2000/2001 ;D (DBZ was huge in 2000 and 2001 too). And Johto ended in October 2003 not 2001. (That's not me getting into the atrocious Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire that came out March 2003  8-P nobody @ me)

Lizzie McGuire stopped airing new episodes for the most part after March 2003. They started advertising the movie after that which came out May 2003. If you look at this list, the last regular episode aired March 2003, and after that you get one special episode every 3 or 4 months until it completely ends in early 2004. Although I'm sure a lot of kids caught reruns later on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Lizzie_McGuire_episodes

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/10/20 at 9:25 pm

I feel like you're completely disregarding 2000 and 2001 and putting a lot of emphasis on 2004 (??). Pokémon was everything and anything in 2000/2001 ;D (DBZ was huge in 2000 and 2001 too). And Johto ended in October 2003 not 2001. (That's not me getting into the atrocious Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire that came out March 2003  8-P nobody @ me)

Lizzie McGuire stopped airing new episodes for the most part after March 2003. They started advertising the movie after that which came out May 2003. If you look at this list, the last regular episode aired March 2003, and after that you get one special episode every 3 or 4 months until it completely ends in early 2004. Although I'm sure a lot of kids caught reruns later on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Lizzie_McGuire_episodes

I’m not disregarding 2000/2001 mainly bc we all know that they are both early 2000’s years. I’m accentuating 2003-2004’s kid culture because a few people were intertwining kid culture with pop culture. You said you didn’t feel like 2003-2004 was early 2000’s but I disagreed and provided some commercials for children outside of pokemon/dbz at the time that accentuated early 2000’s culture in both years. Pokémon and Dragon Ball Z (y2k shows or shows that started pre 2000) were big but so were other shows/trends in 2000 like Digimon, Rugrats in Paris movie, Powerpuff Girls, Sailormoon, Rocket power, Even stevens, etc. I remember the hype. I seen the Pokemon movie in theaters back in 2000. It wasn’t my thing tho and I feel like it was predominantly liked by boys. Plus Pokemon is not exclusive to the early 2000’s nor is Dragon ball z considering they are products of the 80’s/90’s and continue to still be popular today.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/11/20 at 11:10 am

But I thought most late 20’s and early 30’s peeps grew up in the 90’s. I was born in 1997 and I feel nostalgic about every year from 2000 onwards. I remember getting my Ps2  for Christmas 2001, i remember loosing my first tooth back in 2002 in my kindergarten class, playing jump rope, going to see spy kids, the fashion, the toys, riding my digimon hot wheels bike to the park circa 2002-2003, hit clips, my hello kitty boom box and my DC3 CD I got for my birthday in 2002. Going to Disneyland summer of 2001, Breaking my arm in 2003 two days after my 6th birthday (ouch). Being in preschool in 2000 and going to santa monica. Idk  I felt like that was my nostalgia and I feel like the late 80’s and early 90’s babies got the 90’s.

To clarify what I'm saying a bit, I'm not saying that there aren't plenty of late '90s borns that have nostalgia for the early '00s. It's just that the main group that nostalgia for that era will be targeting is probably those around late 20s and early 30s.

As an example, I have a lot of nostalgia for the early '90s. Ninja Turtles, NES, Disney Afternoon, and that type of stuff. It is a major part of my childhood, and I look back very fondly on that stuff. However, I was very young during the early '90s, and it wasn't the main era of my childhood. The nostalgia for that era would mostly be focused on guys about 8 or so years older than me.

The late '90s and early '00s is basically like my peak youth. I wasn't necessarily a child anymore, but I was still young enough to watch cartoons and kid shows, while also old enough to get more into culture. That's why I have so much nostalgia for that era.

Written By: shrinkingviolet on 01/11/20 at 1:03 pm

To clarify what I'm saying a bit, I'm not saying that there aren't plenty of late '90s borns that have nostalgia for the early '00s. It's just that the main group that nostalgia for that era will be targeting is probably those around late 20s and early 30s.

As an example, I have a lot of nostalgia for the early '90s. Ninja Turtles, NES, Disney Afternoon, and that type of stuff. It is a major part of my childhood, and I look back very fondly on that stuff. However, I was very young during the early '90s, and it wasn't the main era of my childhood. The nostalgia for that era would mostly be focused on guys about 8 or so years older than me.

The late '90s and early '00s is basically like my peak youth. I wasn't necessarily a child anymore, but I was still young enough to watch cartoons and kid shows, while also old enough to get more into culture. That's why I have so much nostalgia for that era.
I was born in 1994 and the early 2000s was the main era of my childhood. I can't relate to anything after 2005 and even that is pushing it for me. I'm not trying to start anything, but how come people born in 1992 can be considered 90s kids, but I can't be an early 2000s kid?

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/11/20 at 1:41 pm

Nah the target audience for early 2000s nostalgia are people who were teens/young adults and those who were in their peak childhoods. So core millennials make up the majority of the audience.

Edit: nvm I see mqg96 already addressed it.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/11/20 at 1:58 pm

Nah the target audience for early 2000s nostalgia are people who were teens/young adults and those who were in their peak childhoods. So core millennials make up the majority of the audience.

Edit: nvm I see mqg96 already addressed it.

Why is it ok for 90’s kids to glorify the 90’s but for someone like me (1997er) to only be nostalgic for anytime after 2004. No one bats an eye when someone born in 1990 is nostalgic for the mid-late 90’s. I feel like people like to gatekeep certain 1990’s baby from a certain era out of superiority. If we’re being real my entire childhood ages 3-12 spanned from 2000-2009 so I’m nostalgic for my childhood by this point. Early 2000’s nostalgia (in terms of kid culture) is for anyone who was a kid/ remembers that time. There’s a difference between being nostalgic for kid culture and pop culture btw. I find it hard to believe a 15 years old in 2001 is gonna be nostalgic for the release of Shrek the way a 4-10 years old would be. It also depends on what your nostalgic for. If you’re talking about fashion, pop culture and trends dedicated for TEENS during that era then yes ok cool. But as far as childhood nostalgia goes, I have to disagree and I’m sure others would to.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/11/20 at 2:18 pm

Why is it ok for 90’s kids to glorify the 90’s but for someone like me (1997er) to only be nostalgic for anytime after 2004. No one bats an eye when someone born in 1990 is nostalgic for the mid-late 90’s. I feel like people like to gatekeep certain 1990’s baby from a certain era out of superiority. If we’re being real my entire childhood ages 3-12 spanned from 2000-2009 so I’m nostalgic for my childhood by this point. Early 2000’s nostalgia (in terms of kid culture) is for anyone who was a kid/ remembers that time. There’s a difference between being nostalgic for kid culture and pop culture btw. I find it hard to believe a 15 years old in 2001 is gonna be nostalgic for the release of Shrek the way a 4-10 years old would be. It also depends on what your nostalgic for. If you’re talking about fashion, pop culture and trends dedicated for TEENS during that era then yes ok cool. But as far as childhood nostalgia goes, I have to disagree and I’m sure others would to.

He's talking about the audience that media companies target in real life, not the internet.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/11/20 at 2:43 pm

He's talking about the audience that media companies target in real life, not the internet.

What does that even mean lol ? Did I not share real life experiences. Also most early 2000’s nostalgia is primarily predicated upon childhood culture from what I have seen. Why do you think reboots such as Lizzie McGuire and Lilo and stitch are coming out this year. Same with 90’s nostalgia lmao. Most marketers get their nostalgic influences from the internet so that was kind of a set up there.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/11/20 at 3:03 pm

I was born in 1994 and the early 2000s was the main era of my childhood. I can't relate to anything after 2005 and even that is pushing it for me. I'm not trying to start anything, but how come people born in 1992 can be considered 90s kids, but I can't be an early 2000s kid?

Well, if you're a 1994 born then I would agree that the early '00s are certainly part of your peak childhood. I'm a 1987 born, so even though I have a lot of nostalgia for the early '90s, I don't consider them a peak part of my childhood because I was still very young then.

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/11/20 at 4:10 pm

I do kinda get where DisneyRetro is coming from though. People in their late 20s/early 30s claimed the 90s as their own and spent the first half of the 2010s sh...ing on people my age for not growing up in the 90s, and now they’re trying to claim early 00s nostalgia too even though they hated the 2000s 5 years ago. It’s like they want everything for themselves and nobody else is ‘allowed’. It’s pretty irritating tbh.

Written By: 2001 on 01/11/20 at 5:02 pm

I do kinda get where DisneyRetro is coming from though. People in their late 20s/early 30s claimed the 90s as their own and spent the first half of the 2010s sh...ing on people my age for not growing up in the 90s, and now they’re trying to claim early 00s nostalgia too even though they hated the 2000s 5 years ago. It’s like they want everything for themselves and nobody else is ‘allowed’. It’s pretty irritating tbh.

Erm, I don't remember those of us in our late 20s crapping on the early 2000s. You realize late 20s means today means 1990-1993 right? We were always early 2000s kids.

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/11/20 at 5:07 pm

Erm, I don't remember those of us in our late 20s crapping on the early 2000s. You realize late 20s means today means 1990-1993 right? We were always early 2000s kids.

This is what I was thinking lol

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/11/20 at 5:08 pm

False in fact I can pull up boards from 2006 where teens born in 1990 claimed everything sucked by 2000. I remember so many 1990-1993 borns claiming the 90’s over the early 2000’s. Saying things like “everything changed after 9/11”. It’s funny how they aren’t keeping that same energy now that the early 2000’s nostalgia is starting to roll in.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/11/20 at 5:34 pm

Alright, can we get back to the main subject, which is the decline of the early 2000s nostalgia online? These gatekeeping arguments about "Who does the early 2000s belong to" are spreading negativity.

Written By: shrinkingviolet on 01/11/20 at 5:36 pm

False in fact I can pull up boards from 2006 where teens born in 1990 claimed everything sucked by 2000. I remember so many 1990-1993 borns claiming the 90’s over the early 2000’s. Saying things like “everything changed after 9/11”. It’s funny how they aren’t keeping that same energy now that the early 2000’s nostalgia is starting to roll in.
90s kids have always been hypocrites.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/11/20 at 5:40 pm

It was annoying, but I think everyone goes through a phase where they're like "Everything new sucks". In 2006 the internet said everything after 9/11 sucked, in 2012 the cutoff moved up to 2004, and now in 2020 the cutoff has moved up to 2016 from what I've noticed. Everyone gets older and hates newer stuff.

Heck now you've got people saying "So glad I grew up with Just Dance and not Cardi B", even though I remember people hating on Lady Gaga back then.

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/11/20 at 5:44 pm

I don't know about all that but I can see 1990 borns as well as 80s born saying those things. Anyways, there are plenty of 1993-1991/0 borns who have had defend our childhood from 80s borns for at least a decade now. I've even made a thread about it on here so dont sit here and pretend we are just now trying to claim the early 2000s. We've been claiming it since the late/early 2000s when 90s kid were going on their 90s tirade across the internet. I've always been #teamlate90early2000s

Written By: 2001 on 01/11/20 at 5:48 pm

Well I have a lot of childhood friends born 1990-1992 in real life and I can tell you first hand (second hand?) that they were kids in the early 2000s. My cousin's 30th birthday is coming up, and I still remember her 10th birthday. It was in 2000, which is the early 2000s.

Written By: 2001 on 01/11/20 at 6:09 pm

I don't know about all that but I can see 1990 borns as well as 80s born saying those things. Anyways, there are plenty of 1993-1991/0 borns who have had defend our childhood from 80s borns for at least a decade now. I've even made a thread about it on here so dont sit here and pretend we are just now trying to claim the early 2000s. We've been claiming it since the late/early 2000s when 90s kid were going on their 90s tirade across the internet. I've always been #teamlate90early2000s

I remember I thought I was a '90s kid, but then got told I wasn't. Annoyed by the pedantism, I switched to "I miss the 1990s early 2000s! Dial-up, Windows 98, Pokémon, Dragon Ball Z, Nintendo 64! Those were the days." I triggered a lot of people by calling those things early 2000s, but it's true ;D

Written By: shrinkingviolet on 01/11/20 at 6:17 pm

They steal things from 80s and 2000s kids. I have people telling me that I didn't grow up with Lizzie McGuire, Even Stevens, The Cheetah Girls, As Told By Ginger, Invader Zim, Windows 98 or anything related to the early 2000s. I actually got into an argument with someone born in the late 80s over the Incredibles. That movie came out in late 2004, yet I had a 90s kid lecturing me about how that movie was for 90s kids and was bragging about buying it on VHS.

They do the same thing with 80s kids as well. They will claim they were too old to appreciate Full House, Duck Tales, The Little Mermaid, Family Matters, Saved by the Bell, and the Sega Genesis. I saw a late 80s baby a month ago, gatekeeping The Little Mermaid from someone who was born in 1981 and telling how they were too old to watch it.

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/11/20 at 6:20 pm

I remember I thought I was a '90s kid, but then got told I wasn't. Annoyed by the pedantism, I switched to "I miss the 1990s early 2000s! Dial-up, Windows 98, Pokémon, Dragon Ball Z, Nintendo 64! Those were the days." I triggered a lot of people by calling those things early 2000s, but it's true ;D

I know that must have really pissed them off  ;D

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/11/20 at 6:31 pm

It was annoying, but I think everyone goes through a phase where they're like "Everything new sucks". In 2006 the internet said everything after 9/11 sucked, in 2012 the cutoff moved up to 2004, and now in 2020 the cutoff has moved up to 2016 from what I've noticed. Everyone gets older and hates newer stuff.

Heck now you've got people saying "So glad I grew up with Just Dance and not Cardi B", even though I remember people hating on Lady Gaga back then.

Yeah this is true. Like I see people saying they are nostalgic the early to mid 2010’s on reddit. To me that feels like yesterday haha

Written By: 2001 on 01/11/20 at 6:34 pm

They steal things from 80s and 2000s kids. I have people telling me that I didn't grow up with Lizzie McGuire, Even Stevens, The Cheetah Girls, As Told By Ginger, Invader Zim, Windows 98 or anything related to the early 2000s. I actually got into an argument with someone born in the late 80s over the Incredibles. That movie came out in late 2004, yet I had a 90s kid lecturing me about how that movie was for 90s kids and was bragging about buying it on VHS.

They do the same thing with 80s kids as well. They will claim they were too old to appreciate Full House, Duck Tales, The Little Mermaid, Family Matters, Saved by the Bell, and the Sega Genesis. I saw a late 80s baby a month ago, gatekeeping The Little Mermaid from someone who was born in 1981 and telling how they were too old to watch it.

I don't remember anyone gatekeeping the early 2000s, to be honest. We had the peak of early 2000s/Y2K nostalgia on this forum back in 2015-2017 and it was very inclusive from what I remember. If there was any gatekeeping back then, it was on who was Gen Y and who was Gen Z ;D

Written By: shrinkingviolet on 01/11/20 at 6:46 pm

I don't remember anyone gatekeeping the early 2000s, to be honest. We had the peak of early 2000s/Y2K nostalgia on this forum back in 2015-2017 and it was very inclusive from what I remember. If there was any gatekeeping back then, it was on who was Gen Y and who was Gen Z ;D

I usually experience this on YouTube and other message board sites. 90s kids still constantly talk about that decade and it's getting really annoying. EVERY SINGLE DAY I have to hear these 30 year olds saying how they feel sorry for me because I didn't grow up in their precious little decade. These people literally think you have nothing going for you, if you did not experience the 90s.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/11/20 at 6:47 pm

No early 90’s babies have been gatekeeping mid-late 90’s babies for over a decade now. Early 90’s babies or anyone before 1993 has generally always been accepted as 90’s kids. Late 80’s babies used to say things like “anyone born after 1992 is a 2000’s kid”Most 1993 babies have always claimed the late 90’s and early 2000’s. I mean they would have only been in 1st to second grade when 2000 hit. But the same way you claim being a late 90’s/early 20000’s kid is the same way 1994-1997 babies claim the early to mid 2000’s. You were 4 in 1997, 5 in 1998,  6 in 1999 and 7 in 2000, I was 4 in 2001 (y2k), 5 in 2002(still heavily dominated in y2k kid culture), 6 in 2003 and 7 in 2004. Also I have never seen a 1990-1991 baby claim the early 2000’s or anything past 2000 for that matter. #teamearlytomid2000s

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/11/20 at 6:48 pm

Everyone was desperate to call themselves a 90s kid at the height of 90s nostalgia online. Nobody was interested in calling themselves an early 00s kid.

Anyway, most people born in 1993 are still mid 20s so I’m not really referring to people your age, but more people born 1990/1991.

Written By: shrinkingviolet on 01/11/20 at 6:50 pm

No I think early 90’s babies have been gatekeeping mid-late 90’s babies for over a decade now. Late 80’s babies used to say things like “anyone born after 1992 is a 2000’s kid”. Most 1993 babies have always claimed the late 90’s and early 2000’s. I mean they would have only been in 1st to second grade when 2000 hit. But the same way you claim being a late 90’s/early 20000’s kid is the same way 1994-1997 babies claim the early to mid 2000’s. You were 6 in 1999 and 7 in 2000, I was 6 in 2003 and 7 in 2004. Also I have never seen a 1990-1991 baby claim the early 2000’s or anything past 2000 for that matter.

People born 1990-1992 claim the 90s. 1993 babies usually acknowledge the 2000s.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/11/20 at 6:52 pm

People born 1990-1992 claim the 90s. 1993 babies usually acknowledge the 2000s.

This is true. And I have seen it so many times. It’s weird when people act like they haven’t seen this. Especially on personality cafe and youtube.

Written By: 2001 on 01/11/20 at 6:52 pm

No early 90’s babies have been gatekeeping mid-late 90’s babies for over a decade now. Early 90’s babies or anyone before 1993 has generally always been accepted as 90’s kids. Late 80’s babies used to say things like “anyone born after 1992 is a 2000’s kid”Most 1993 babies have always claimed the late 90’s and early 2000’s. I mean they would have only been in 1st to second grade when 2000 hit. But the same way you claim being a late 90’s/early 20000’s kid is the same way 1994-1997 babies claim the early to mid 2000’s. You were 6 in 1999 and 7 in 2000, I was 6 in 2003 and 7 in 2004. Also I have never seen a 1990-1991 baby claim the early 2000’s or anything past 2000 for that matter.

Erm literally a 1991 born wrote a song a famous nostalgic song about 2002. I just think you don't know that many 1990/1991 borns. I mean, you are 6/7 years younger than them. I don't know any 1999/2000 borns either except some cousins.

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/11/20 at 6:55 pm

Everyone was desperate to call themselves a 90s kid at the height of 90s nostalgia online. Nobody was interested in calling themselves an early 00s kid.

Anyway, most people born in 1993 are still mid 20s so I’m not really referring to people your age, but more people born 1990/1991.

We turn 27 this year

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/11/20 at 6:56 pm

We turn 27 this year

I know you do. Most of you are still 26 though. And late 20s/early 30s is just a general term, it doesn’t necessarily refer to everyone from 27-33.

Written By: 2001 on 01/11/20 at 6:58 pm

We turn 27 this year

I've been hearing "You're practically 27! When are you getting married?" from my mom for the past 6 months, so I already identify with being 27. I don't think I'm going to feel any older on my birthday ;D

Written By: 2001 on 01/11/20 at 7:02 pm

I know you do. Most of you are still 26 though. And late 20s/early 30s is just a general term, it doesn’t necessarily refer to everyone from 27-33.

My personal definition is
Early 20s = 20-24
Mid-20s = 25-28
Late 20s = 29-31

Written By: shrinkingviolet on 01/11/20 at 7:03 pm

Early 2000s kid culture will make a comeback!

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/11/20 at 7:03 pm

I've been hearing "You're practically 27! When are you getting married?" from my mom for the past 6 months, so I already identify with being 27. I don't think I'm going to feel any older on my birthday ;D

27 is the new 17.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/12/20 at 12:44 am

27 is the new 17.
Wait till 27 turns to 62

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/12/20 at 1:42 pm

Erm literally a 1991 born wrote a song a famous nostalgic song about 2002. I just think you don't know that many 1990/1991 borns. I mean, you are 6/7 years younger than them. I don't know any 1999/2000 borns either except some cousins.

Yeah I know many and work with a lot of them too. And 6 to 7 years is not a big age gap considering a 42 dating a 48 years old is looked at as normal. Also if you listen to that song “2002” she talks about damn near being a teenager and coming of age. I mean the songs starts off with her talking about kissing a guy and  she randomly interpolates songs from 1998-2000 in her verses like “bye bye bye” “oops I” “hit me baby one more time” and snoop dogs infamous “hold up”. She also talks about “fast forward to 18 now we’re under the covers”. The song is supposed to represent nostalgia but there is no nostalgic pop culture from 2002 in that song at all, let a lone childhood nostalgia. Charli XCX and Troye Sivan wrote a song about 1999 and she was born in 1992, he was born in 1995.

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/12/20 at 2:21 pm

Yeah I know many and work with a lot of them too. And 6 to 7 years is not a big age gap considering a 42 dating a 48 years old is looked at as normal.

I'll just say this. A 6 to 7 year old age gap makes a significant difference from childhood all the way through your 20s. People born in 1990-1992 are going on 30, 29, and 28. They are generally in a different stage in life than someone in their early 20s and would most likely not want to be grouped with them which is why there's sometimes resistence. There's a difference in maturity levels and a late 20 year old is more likely to have a more concrete self-identity. I personally don't get offended but I'm just saying. And in childhood, a 6 year old is a different stage of development than a 12 or 11 year old. When you hit your 30s and beyond it doesn't matter as much.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/12/20 at 2:51 pm

I'll just say this. A 6 to 7 year old age gap makes a significant difference from childhood all the way through your 20s. People born in 1990-1992 are going on 30, 29, and 28. They are generally in a different stage in life than someone in their early 20s and would most likely not want to be grouped with them which is why there's sometimes resistence. There's a difference in maturity levels and a late 20 year old is more likely to have a more concrete self-identity. I personally don't get offended but I'm just saying. And in childhood, a 6 year old is a different stage of development than a 12 or 11 year old. When you hit your 30s and beyond it doesn't matter as much.

I mean a 27-33 years old is a 5 year age gap (late 20’s early 30’s). We are adults, childhood is not that serious. I have a AA and BA degree under my belt already and I’m in a MA program while at an internship. A majority of the people I work with (at starbucks)are born between 1987-1998. There’s one person born in 2000 while 5 people are 27. The guy that I talk to is 5 years younger than me (born November 1991).We are not that different in the real world. Also I’m closer in age/ life stages to someone who is 27 than 18 yet most early 90’s agree that I would be gen z with people who are 7 lol.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/12/20 at 6:40 pm

While I'll always have great nostalgia for the early 00's, it's definitely worn out compared to how it used to be around the early to mid 10's. Hell, early 00's nostalgia was still bigger back in like 2009. Like Slowpoke said, early 00's nostalgia was a huge thing on this site in 2015 and 2016, but now it's practically dead. Now it's time for late 00's nostalgia, and honestly when it comes to the positives about the late 00's instead of all the negative, I'm okay with it.

Being 11-13 throughout the late 00's, I was past my peak childhood, but I was just entering my teen years and my youth, it was around the time that I was able to understand the real world around me for the first time ever, and I was able to understand mainstream culture and politics for the first time as well, but at the same time, I was still into some kid culture like the Wii or DS. I was still under 5 feet with a high pitched voice for 2007 and most of 2008. The Wii and DS had a sheesh ton of good Mario games throughout the time. Barack Obama's election and inauguration was a once in a lifetime experience. Watching CNN live in November 2008 during that historical election and seeing everybody in the nation cheering when the first African American candidate ever got elected for president, that was so surreal to witness and glad I was just born in time to feel the emotion. The late 00's for television was GOD AWFUL compared to the early 00's or mid 00's, it was a rot for sure, but there were still a lot of highlights of the late 00's such as classic YouTube, MySpace still being around, and classic Facebook. It was the social media beginnings.

I really loved the music that came out throughout the late 00's as well. I ate up a lot of late 00's music because that was the first time I kept up with music on my own instead of relying on my parents to understand what the biggest hits were. The mid 00's was drastically underrated, but if you were a teen or young adult, I could see why the mid 00's was kinda lack luster, but for kids the mid 00's was still a great time. It's a misconception that all of the pop culture died or got really bad after 2003 or from 2004 and onwards. TBH in the grand scheme of things, 2004 overall was a way better year pop culturally than 2003 when I look back. Movies for example, the movies that came out throughout 2004 absolutely blow 2003 out of the water and it's not even close.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/12/20 at 6:48 pm

Well, if you're a 1994 born then I would agree that the early '00s are certainly part of your peak childhood. I'm a 1987 born, so even though I have a lot of nostalgia for the early '90s, I don't consider them a peak part of my childhood because I was still very young then.

I also get tired of people on the internet believing that childhood just means "TV shows, toys, movies, and video games" but there was so much more to childhood and especially peak childhood. All the friends and relationships you make in school, riding a bike or riding a scooter by yourself in the neighborhood, all the sports and extracurricular activities you do outside of school, and so forth. I played flag football when I was 6 years old, but I did karate/martial arts when I was 9-12 years old, all of that was a huge part of my childhood. Most of the friends I made in elementary school were throughout 2nd-5th grade, I barely made any friends in Kindergarten or 1st grade. This also includes going to some friends' houses or parties throughout elementary school as well. The majority of this for me occurred throughout the mid 00's with no surprise.

Written By: shrinkingviolet on 01/12/20 at 7:44 pm

I also get tired of people on the internet believing that childhood just means "TV shows, toys, movies, and video games" but there was so much more to childhood and especially peak childhood. All the friends and relationships you make in school, riding a bike or riding a scooter by yourself in the neighborhood, all the sports and extracurricular activities you do outside of school, and so forth. I played flag football when I was 6 years old, but I did karate/martial arts when I was 9-12 years old, all of that was a huge part of my childhood. Most of the friends I made in elementary school were throughout 2nd-5th grade, I barely made any friends in Kindergarten or 1st grade. This also includes going to some friends' houses or parties throughout elementary school as well. The majority of this for me occurred throughout the mid 00's with no surprise.

I completely agree with you. My childhood friendships were special and probably the greatest memories I have in my life.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/13/20 at 3:01 am

While I'll always have great nostalgia for the early 00's, it's definitely worn out compared to how it used to be around the early to mid 10's. Hell, early 00's nostalgia was still bigger back in like 2009. Like Slowpoke said, early 00's nostalgia was a huge thing on this site in 2015 and 2016, but now it's practically dead. Now it's time for late 00's nostalgia, and honestly when it comes to the positives about the late 00's instead of all the negative, I'm okay with it.

Being 11-13 throughout the late 00's, I was past my peak childhood, but I was just entering my teen years and my youth, it was around the time that I was able to understand the real world around me for the first time ever, and I was able to understand mainstream culture and politics for the first time as well, but at the same time, I was still into some kid culture like the Wii or DS. I was still under 5 feet with a high pitched voice for 2007 and most of 2008. The Wii and DS had a sheesh ton of good Mario games throughout the time. Barack Obama's election and inauguration was a once in a lifetime experience. Watching CNN live in November 2008 during that historical election and seeing everybody in the nation cheering when the first African American candidate ever got elected for president, that was so surreal to witness and glad I was just born in time to feel the emotion. The late 00's for television was GOD AWFUL compared to the early 00's or mid 00's, it was a rot for sure, but there were still a lot of highlights of the late 00's such as classic YouTube, MySpace still being around, and classic Facebook. It was the social media beginnings.

I really loved the music that came out throughout the late 00's as well. I ate up a lot of late 00's music because that was the first time I kept up with music on my own instead of relying on my parents to understand what the biggest hits were. The mid 00's was drastically underrated, but if you were a teen or young adult, I could see why the mid 00's was kinda lack luster, but for kids the mid 00's was still a great time. It's a misconception that all of the pop culture died or got really bad after 2003 or from 2004 and onwards. TBH in the grand scheme of things, 2004 overall was a way better year pop culturally than 2003 when I look back. Movies for example, the movies that came out throughout 2004 absolutely blow 2003 out of the water and it's not even close.

Yep. I feel like with everyone, it's a pattern where you grow up in one particular era, you get used to it and come to love and know it well. But then your era gets taken away by the forces of time and the pop culture zeitgest, the old era you loved is replaced by something new that you struggle to like as much. You get sad over this for a while, but eventually come to accept it.

Heck, now you've got 18 year olds praising themselves for growing up on Minecraft and hating 12 year olds who play Fortnite. It's an endless cycle, lol.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/13/20 at 8:37 am

Yeah, it does look like a big part of the rise of late '00s nostalgia is because late '90s babies have finally gotten to the age where they miss their junior high school years and are starting to look back on those more fondly. I have noticed more and more guys born around 1998 saying online how much they miss 2009, certainly compared to a few years ago when the late '00s weren't dated enough yet to be nostalgic.

This is pretty much what you had with guys my age and the early '00s and even late '90s. When I was younger, most of my childhood nostalgia was focused on the earlier parts of the '90s, because the later part of the decade didn't seem that far back yet. Over the last few years, though, not only has my nostalgia for the late '90s caught up with the rest of the '90s, but even the early '00s have for me.

I was always pretty sure that late '90s babies would eventually have more nostalgia for the late '00s as they got older, and that does seem to be what you've got.

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/13/20 at 9:41 am

I mean a 27-33 years old is a 5 year age gap (late 20’s early 30’s). We are adults, childhood is not that serious. I have a AA and BA degree under my belt already and I’m in a MA program while at an internship. A majority of the people I work with (at starbucks)are born between 1987-1998. There’s one person born in 2000 while 5 people are 27. The guy that I talk to is 5 years younger than me (born November 1991).We are not that different in the real world. Also I’m closer in age/ life stages to someone who is 27 than 18 yet most early 90’s agree that I would be gen z with people who are 7 lol.

These are personal examples. Most late 20s are getting established in their career & those who have chosen to pursue a AA or BA would have earned those in 2013, 2014, 2015, whatever and have been out of school for some time now. Now many are getting ready to (purposely) start a family, looking for property, preparing for true adulthood, etc. Different stage of life than their early 20s counterparts. I mentioned childhood to show how age gaps matter up until you hit your 30s and beyond.

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/13/20 at 9:49 am

I also get tired of people on the internet believing that childhood just means "TV shows, toys, movies, and video games" but there was so much more

I don't think people really believe that. It's just when you're sharing with strangers on the internet it's much less impactful to use personal experiences, because these people don't know your friends or the school you went to. However, everyone, despite their personal experiences in school or with friends, etc can relate to tv shows, video, games, and toys because those things are universal. Maybe not everyone played sports, rode scooters, or had a best friend but it's likely everyone watched Spongebob if you get what I mean.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/13/20 at 11:52 am

I was always pretty sure that late '90s babies would eventually have more nostalgia for the late '00s as they got older, and that does seem to be what you've got.

Yeah, 5 to 10 years ago, if you showed any love for the late 00’s, whether it was kid culture or mainstream culture, you got hated on or made fun of badly. I’m so happy those days are over with. I wasn’t a big fan of the late 00’s culturally (2008 & 2009 are my least favorite years of the 00’s) bit c’mon it wasn’t completely bad in every facet of the game (with the exception of the 2009 celebrity deaths). It was fun being the perfect age to enjoy mainstream culture & news/politics for the first time but still enjoy some kid culture at the same time (like the Wii or DS). It’s a never ending cycle with these nostalgia trends. I also love the early 10’s too, in fact, I enjoyed the early 10’s a lot more than the late 00’s.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/13/20 at 12:09 pm

I don't think people really believe that. It's just when you're sharing with strangers on the internet it's much less impactful to use personal experiences, because these people don't know your friends or the school you went to. However, everyone, despite their personal experiences in school or with friends, etc can relate to tv shows, video, games, and toys because those things are universal. Maybe not everyone played sports, rode scooters, or had a best friend but it's likely everyone watched Spongebob if you get what I mean.

Oh I get what you’re saying and I agree the majority of civilians outside the internet never think this way. I was just distinguishing the difference between childhood in its entirety and peak childhood and the fact that there was so much more to it. Just remembering what’s on TV or the fads at 5 or 6 years old doesn’t define peak childhood when there’s a lot more to it. My youngest sister and youngest cousins are 11 in 5th or 6th grade, and they still act like young kids with high pitched voices. My 14 year old cousin and 16 year old sister on the other hand, they’re no longer like that and it’s so surreal to me that only a few years ago they were still acting like little kids, they’ve matured and their voices have changed. Machine-Head pretty much summed up the same thoughts as me.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/13/20 at 2:19 pm

These are personal examples. Most late 20s are getting established in their career & those who have chosen to pursue a AA or BA would have earned those in 2013, 2014, 2015, whatever and have been out of school for some time now. Now many are getting ready to (purposely) start a family, looking for property, preparing for true adulthood, etc. Different stage of life than their early 20s counterparts. I mentioned childhood to show how age gaps matter up until you hit your 30s and beyond.

I wouldn’t say the majority. In fact it’s averaged that most 1989-1991 babies have struggled the most as this was the class to enter college/work during the recession. I don’t think a 27 years old is in a different stage of life than a 23 years old. Many people my age have graduated college and work as nurses, in sales force (san francisco) and some are dental assistants. My best friend is a kindergarten teacher. She just started working this school semester and graduated in may of 2019. She was also born in 1997. Maybe you need to meet more people my age. There’s a whole lot of us outside the internet that is already doing what you have described. Most 1996-1997 babies are college graduates by this point. I graduated from college in 2017 and got my AA. Got my BA in May and now I’m working on my MA and most students are 22-28 in the program I’m in. There’s also outliers as well. The college students who didn’t graduate on time, or going back to school tend to range anywhere from their early to mid/late 20’s. I also highly doubt an average 27 fresh out of college with school loans is ready to start a family.

Also a 28 years old is not thinking about childhood when they are pursuing a person who’s let’s say 23. It ain’t that deep nor is it that serious by that age.

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/13/20 at 2:21 pm

There is definitely a maturity difference between 23 and 27 without a doubt. Even at 25 I feel more established and settled than I did at say 21.

But a 23 year old will be closer to 27 than 19.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/13/20 at 2:31 pm

I think your experiences are valid. I think the reason I was trying to tell you why peak childhood doesn’t exist is because depending on the average person, these experiences are  not limited or exclusive to a certain age. For an example I used to rollerblade outside with my cousins and neighborhood friends when I was 5. I started doing karate classes when I was 4 and got my first yellow belt when I was 5. I started swim lessons when I was 5 lost my first tooth when I was 5. In 2003 I slept over at my bff’s house for her 6th birthday and I remember I brought the Parent Trap over on VHS. Got a razor scooter in 2002 for my birthday. Went to Disney’s in 2001, El Salvador in 2003. As you can see a lot of formative things took place for me in the early 2000’s. That is why I don’t see “peak childhood” as even being a thing. This is all subjective material as they are all personal experiences, but I don’t really feel like you have to be 7 to make friends, play outside, play cards, ride bikes, jump on a scooter, etc. these were things that started in the early 2000’s for me roughy around 2001-2002.

Written By: shrinkingviolet on 01/13/20 at 3:39 pm

I'm going to say it again, early 2000s nostalgia will make a comeback!

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/13/20 at 7:40 pm

There is definitely a maturity difference between 23 and 27 without a doubt. Even at 25 I feel more established and settled than I did at say 21.

But a 23 year old will be closer to 27 than 19.

People are going to mature and learn something new with every age that’s how life works. I don’t notice a huge difference between me and someone who is 27. Have you been to the clubs/bars lately ? Have you watched any reality tv shows of all of these millennials now ? It’s so weird to see. Now that I have graduated I feel more like an adult. I have to buckle down and get things together before ai turn 30. I have 6 years. I’m stressing now 😭

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/13/20 at 7:56 pm

I'm going to say it again, early 2000s nostalgia will make a comeback!

I can’t wait !!! I’m so excited for it. Finally something dedicated for our cohort outside of the over glorified 90’s.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/13/20 at 8:47 pm

Early 2000s nostalgia will happen in full force around 2030-2033.

I know you guys hate 90s nostalgia but I think it's gonna happen in full force this decade (in real life I mean, not online). 80s nostalgia happened in full force last decade with Stranger Things. I used to hear the "nostalgia cycle" was 20 years but now people are saying it's 30 years.

Written By: 2001 on 01/13/20 at 8:50 pm

I know you guys hate 90s nostalgia but I think it's gonna happen in full force this decade (in real life I mean, not online). 80s nostalgia happened in full force last decade with Stranger Things. I used to hear the "nostalgia cycle" was 20 years but now people are saying it's 30 years.

I think it's going to be at least another 5-10 years of '80s nostalgia. The '90s don't look as old as they should. Is 1999 really 21 years ago? :doubt:

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/13/20 at 8:51 pm

I feel like 90s nostalgia already replaced 80s nostalgia by the end of the 2010s. 80s nostalgia is more early-mid 10s imo. If the nostalgia cycle used to be 20 years then does that mean 80s nostalgia has been going on for 20 years now?  Surely it’s run its course already?

I don’t hate 90s nostalgia, but it’s a decade I largely don’t remember so I just don’t care about it.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/13/20 at 10:24 pm

I thought 90’s nostalgia has been the ‘10’s  nostalgia ? All the mom jeans and y2k fashion that has resurfaced. The new rockos modern life movie, kel returning to nick. Selena and Aaliyah make up collections, all the chunky heels bulky y2k inspired sneakers. Curtain hair made a comeback in 2017 as well. 90’s nostalgia has been in mainstream pop culture for quite a while now. All of the 90’s references and samples in songs are big right now too.  I love 90’s nostalgia and I love the look but it’s been going on for quite some years already.

Written By: fusefan on 01/14/20 at 1:20 am

I remember in 2006 and a little before and after that it was more like “Everything after 1997-1999 sucks.” But I think that was mostly Generation X and Xennials saying that. Because it was all about 80s and some pre-Clinton 90s nostalgia then. Then about 2008-2009 the “everything after this year sucks” cutoff became 2001. Probably because core millennials were starting become louder around that time. And some mid and later 90s nostalgia was just starting to be accepted.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/14/20 at 1:30 am

I remember in 2006 and a little before and after that it was more like “Everything after 1997-1999 sucks.” But I think that was mostly Generation X and Xennials saying that. Then about 2008-2009 the “everything after this year sucks” cutoff became 2001.

Yeah looking at old posts here, as well as other sites, it seemed people back then considered 1998-99 to be the start of the decline in pop culture with TRL, nu metal, boybands, anime explosion, perceived vapidness and plasticity of that era, etc. Heck I'm looking at these posts from 2009 and they're saying things like "I don't care if 1999 was 10 years ago, late 90s will never be retro", "Late 90s is mostly the same as today", and "Stop saying Pokemon is retro".

Which is funny since 1998-2003 (Y2k chrome era) became a beloved era online soon after that. It's a cycle.

Written By: fusefan on 01/14/20 at 1:45 am

Yeah looking at old posts here, as well as other sites, it seemed people back then considered 1998-99 to be the start of the decline in pop culture with TRL, nu metal, boybands, anime explosion, perceived vapidness and plasticity of that era, etc. Heck I'm looking at these posts from 2009 and they're saying things like "I don't care if 1999 was 10 years ago, late 90s will never be retro", "Late 90s is mostly the same as today", and "Stop saying Pokemon is retro".

Which is funny since 1998-2003 (Y2k chrome era) became a beloved era online soon after that. It's a cycle.

Not to mention at the time in the mid-late 2000s, my birth year (1990) was the 1st year that “spoiled disrespectful brats” started to be born. Eventually that year shifted to 1995 or so in the early 2010s, and now it’s 2000 or so. Pretty soon it will be anyone born after 2005 getting bashed for something they had no say over.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/14/20 at 2:09 am

Not to mention at the time in the mid-late 2000s, my birth year (1990) was the 1st year that “spoiled disrespectful brats” started to be born. Eventually that year shifted to 1995 or so in the early 2010s, and now it’s 2000 or so. Pretty soon it will be anyone born after 2005 getting bashed for something they had no say over.

It's already moved to 2005. Now on sites like Reddit, iFunny, and Tiktok you see people born in 2004 talking about how they're "old school Minecrafters" and saying 2005 borns were "the start of Fortnite Jake Paulers", lol.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/14/20 at 2:42 am

Also I'm looking at this old thread you were in, and it really is quite prescient. About "the last good year moving up" throughout history and people coming to appreciate things that were once despised.

In this thread it was mentioned how the Y2K era music was becoming more appreciated after years of hate. Recently I noticed the exact same thing happened to late 00s-early 10s pop like Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Kesha, Psy, Justin Bieber, etc.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=29411

Written By: fusefan on 01/14/20 at 9:24 am

Also I'm looking at this old thread you were in, and it really is quite prescient. About "the last good year moving up" throughout history and people coming to appreciate things that were once despised.

In this thread it was mentioned how the Y2K era music was becoming more appreciated after years of hate. Recently I noticed the exact same thing happened to late 00s-early 10s pop like Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Kesha, Psy, Justin Bieber, etc.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=29411

I’ll admit even I’m a little guilty for rose coloring. My attitude towards 1999-2002 has changed. Yes it’s still kinda cheesy but I have lots of great memories of that time period. But it’s just like any era there are things that age well and things that don’t.

While I’m at it. Here’s a thread about the 90s from 2001 that kinda reminds me of Doku’s threads  in the 2020s board.  ;D

http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/inthe90s/bbs1/webBBS_1419.shtml

Written By: fusefan on 01/14/20 at 10:17 am

Oh yeah I forgot this. Here’s a thread from 2011 where somebody was bashing the 90s calling it “too recent” to have a “That 90s Show.” But it seems nobody took the poster seriously. (I think this guy was trolling.)

http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/inthe90s/smf/1300907341.shtml

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/14/20 at 12:00 pm

A lot of the early 2000s created online, such as early MySpace, Yahoo Groups, many GeoCities pages (except for a select few that were archived), is literally kaput and lost forever. A recent article on the Celine Dion fan site Celine Dreams was discussed, and mentioned that a lot of corporate buyouts has really cost the archives of so many good sites. With that said, a lot of 20 year HS reunions in the next serveral years may present an opportunity to relive this era, but then again HS reunions are most popular with the "OK Boomer" crowd thanks to social media killing the need for such events. I disagree since there's nothing like experiencing someone in person just like your favorite team, comedian, politician, or musician.

But since the aughts/naughties doesn't have as catchy of a hook to it as previous decades, it will be more difficult to fully get that true nostalgic environment. That's why the '80s just keep hangin' on while the '90s still seem fresh in terms of taking a look back since they both have a certain vintage quality that the '00s just doesn't have.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/22/20 at 2:18 pm

Welp, now I'm feeling what bchris felt in this thread from 3 years ago, lol.

I think early 2000s nostalgia is already well underway on the Internet, especially the kid culture.  It's honestly the first sign I am actually getting old.  The kid culture that today's twentysomethings are nostalgic for is past my own time.  For me, it was Power Rangers, Ninja Turtles, VR Troopers, Bill Nye the Science Guy, Disney Renaissance, etc.  For most of the Internet today, it's Spongebob, Pokemon, Dreamworks, and whatever was on Nickelodeon in the early/mid 2000s.

For the Internet from 2015-2018, the kid culture nostalgia was pre-movie Spongebob, Lizzie mcguire, prime Toonami, Pokemon, early Dreamworks, and whatever was on Nickelodeon in the early/mid 2000s.

But for most of the internet in 2018-2020, it's stuff that was just narrowly after my time like Minecraft, Hannah montana, icarly, Diary of a wimpy kid, Adventure time, and whatever was on Nickelodeon in the late 2000s-early 2010s, lol.

Another quote from the thread. For once my predictions came true lol:

It's only a matter of time before we see younger people getting nostalgic for Windows Vista, Chowder, Flapjack, Hannah Montana, the first iPhone, Obama, and Katy Perry, and then all of us born before 1998 will be rolling our eyes. You can resist time marching forward, but you can't stop it. ;)

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/27/20 at 6:53 pm

Remember back around 2014 when nostalgia for Cartoon Network's Powerhouse era was poppin online (as well as some City era nostalgia)? Like your videos for instance, those got a lot of views:

ynWfhouOSsQ

But now, we're at the point most people online don't remember that era at all, and you see a lot more Noods/Check It era nostalgia than anything. This Check It nostalgia video for instance, it's got so many more likes, comments, and views than Powerhouse/City era videos, it surprised me.

uHaHnWVS5Uw

The Powerhouse era faded into obscurity, and it's now forgotten ancient history, RIP.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/28/20 at 7:38 am

Remember back around 2014 when nostalgia for Cartoon Network's Powerhouse era was poppin online (as well as some City era nostalgia)? Like your videos for instance, those got a lot of views:

ynWfhouOSsQ

But now, we're at the point most people online don't remember that era at all, and you see a lot more Noods/Check It era nostalgia than anything. This Check It nostalgia video for instance, it's got so many more likes, comments, and views than Powerhouse/City era videos, it surprised me.

uHaHnWVS5Uw

The Powerhouse era faded into obscurity, and it's now forgotten ancient history, RIP.

This is true, but let's be honest, nostalgia for the Powerhouse Era lasted for a very long time (there was nostalgia for that era as early as 2006 on forum sites, but I noticed it full force by 2007). Nostalgia for the Powerhouse Era went on longer than how nostalgia for the City eras & beyond will ever go (separately). The Powerhouse Era was the longest lasting era (before the CHECK it) and on top of that, the Powerhouse Era appealed to multiple audiences (not just kids).

Everybody born throughout the 80's to mid 90's watched the Powerhouse Era sometime between 1997-2004. The City eras and beyond mostly targeted kids only, this isn't a knock at the City Era or beyond but that's just the truth. Many people age 12 & older who were used to the Powerhouse Era all those years, did not enjoy Cartoon Network past 2004 because of all the sudden drastic changes that occurred. Now the earlier CHECK it era to a little extent did target teens thanks to Adventure Time and Regular Show, but only those two (no where near the variety as the Powerhouse) and maybe Young Justice despite how badly it was treated on CN.

The Powerhouse Era had a wide variety of shows that appealed to kids, teens, and adults all at once. The best part is, a lot of the cartoons weren't too kiddish or too adultish at the time, everybody could watch those. The Cartoon Cartoons were there for the kids but had hidden adult jokes in those, anime on Toonami were there mainly for older kids & teens, while reruns of Hanna-Barbera cartoons & old school WB/MGM shorts were there for adults who grew up with those on Saturday mornings, but at the same time, those were passed on to the kids at the time. So, I think that's what separates the Powerhouse Era from all the other eras past that.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/28/20 at 10:47 am

That is honestly one of my biggest complaints with us 90s babies, we roll over. 80s babies dominated the internet in the 2000s & early-mid 10s, and they treated us like sh!t accordingly. We FINALLY were able to have the internet for ourselves in around 2015/2016 and that 90s baby momentum continued strong till about 2018 or so. Since then, it's almost been like a tsunami of 2000s babies pouring into sites like YouTube, Twitter, Reddit, various online forums, etc. etc, and we literally just let it happened. I'm sorry to say, but it's almost like we internalized so much of the bullsh!t and belittling that 80s put it us through, that when the next generation of 'Little Sh!ts' started flooding online circles with nostalgia of Minecraft and The 'Noodz era' of Cartoon Network (yes, I'm being serious), we didn't have any willpower or at the very least a bit of a spine to shut that sh!t down. We waited a damn long time for us to be the boss of things, wait your damn turn.

It makes me pissed off because in real life, people actually are nostalgic of the late 90s & early 00s (aka, the era most 90s babies grew up in), hell even the mid 00s are gradually becoming a bit more nostalgic. Tina Fey's Mean Girls franchise has reached new heights in the Late 2010s, mainly in part because of the nostalgia for the movie, especially since it's seen as a time capsule of a by-gone era of preppy clothes, glitter everywhere, actual high school cliques, and 'mall culture'. It offers current teens a glimpse of life before smartphones and social media, something that they barely (if at all) experienced, which is pretty valuable. This, in the same way that many teenaged movies in the earlier 90s and 80s gave us a glimpse at how different teenaged culture was back then. For the popularity of Mean Girls, not to mention other popular teen centric media in or around the 2000s, these were things that anybody who was a teen from roughly 1997-2012, not to mention one who was a teen (or someone either old enough to comprehend the significance or was still young enough to be immersed) when Mean Girls itself was a cultural phenomenon in the mid 2000s, could easily relate to.

Perhaps Zelek has a point, internet nostalgia does move faster than how nostalgic trends are rehashed in real in life. Ironically on TikTok, with the rise of so called 'VSCO Girls', many of them, whom were too young to truly experience the 2000s, are bringing back various 2000s trends in a respectful and (to some extent) dope light. So it's not necessarily everywhere on the internet in which our era is being washed out, which is up lifting. In real life, it seems like 1990s & early (along with mid) 2000s nostalgia is pretty big right now, with 80s nostalgia, while still big, slowly dying down (kind of like how heavy 70s nostalgia was starting to die down in the late 00s, as 90s nostalgia was slowly creeping in). So if historical patterns on trends' relevance are indicative, the 2020s will be the main nostalgic decade for the 1990s and the 2000s. It just seems like on the most popular websites of public forum, that Mid-Late 2000s/Early 2010s child centric nostalgia is starting drown out the relatively small reign of late 90s/early 00s child centric culture. And as a 90s baby and someone who has been using the internet for close to 15-20 years, this ain't acceptable. We have to take out nostalgic internet back.

Written By: mc98 on 01/28/20 at 12:03 pm

That is honestly one of my biggest complaints with us 90s babies, we roll over. 80s babies dominated the internet in the 2000s & early-mid 10s, and they treated us like sh!t accordingly. We FINALLY were able to have the internet for ourselves in around 2015/2016 and that 90s baby momentum continued strong till about 2018 or so. Since then, it's almost been like a tsunami of 2000s babies pouring into sites like YouTube, Twitter, Reddit, various online forums, etc. etc, and we literally just let it happened. I'm sorry to say, but it's almost like we internalized so much of the bullsh!t and belittling that 80s put it us through, that when the next generation of 'Little Sh!ts' started flooding online circles with nostalgia of Minecraft and The 'Noodz era' of Cartoon Network (yes, I'm being serious), we didn't have any willpower or at the very least a bit of a spine to shut that sh!t down. We waited a damn long time for us to be the boss of things, wait your damn turn.

It makes me pissed off because in real life, people actually are nostalgic of the late 90s & early 00s (aka, the era most 90s babies grew up in), hell even the mid 00s are gradually becoming a bit more nostalgic. Tina Fey's Mean Girls franchise has reached new heights in the Late 2010s, mainly in part because of the nostalgia for the movie, especially since it's seen as a time capsule of a by-gone era of preppy clothes, glitter everywhere, actual high school cliques, and 'mall culture'. It offers current teens a glimpse of life before smartphones and social media, something that they barely (if at all) experienced, which is pretty valuable. This, in the same way that many teenaged movies in the earlier 90s and 80s gave us a glimpse at how different teenaged culture was back then. For the popularity of Mean Girls, not to mention other popular teen centric media in or around the 2000s, these were things that anybody who was a teen from roughly 1997-2012, not to mention one who was a teen (or someone either old enough to comprehend the significance or was still young enough to be immersed) when Mean Girls itself was a cultural phenomenon in the mid 2000s, could easily relate to.

Perhaps Zelek has a point, internet nostalgia does move faster than how nostalgic trends are rehashed in real in life. Ironically on TikTok, with the rise of so called 'VSCO Girls', many of them, whom were too young to truly experience the 2000s, are bringing back various 2000s trends in a respectful and (to some extent) dope light. So it's not necessarily everywhere on the internet in which our era is being washed out, which is up lifting. In real life, it seems like 1990s & early (along with mid) 2000s nostalgia is pretty big right now, with 80s nostalgia, while still big, slowly dying down (kind of like how heavy 70s nostalgia was starting to die down in the late 00s, as 90s nostalgia was slowly creeping in). So if historical patterns on trends' relevance are indicative, the 2020s will be the main nostalgic decade for the 1990s and the 2000s. It just seems like on the most popular websites of public forum, that Mid-Late 2000s/Early 2010s child centric nostalgia is starting drown out the relatively small reign of late 90s/early 00s child centric culture. And as a 90s baby and someone who has been using the internet for close to 15-20 years, this ain't acceptable. We have to take out nostalgic internet back.

It seems that early 2000s babies have drowned out nostalgia from 90s babies. Us 90s babies have been picked on by people who were kids in the 90s during the early-mid 2010s. In reality, there is no late 2000s/early 2010s nostalgia in the media industry at this time, they are focusing on 90s and early 2000s nostalgia recently. 80s nostalgia is still around but slowly declining. I agree that the 2020s will have 90s and 00s nostalgia dominating the entertainment industry. The late 2000s/early 2010s nostalgia circlejerk you're seeing from the internet won't affect the nostalgia marketing from the media since 90s babies are increasingly entering the workforce. It's just that these kids are only reflecting their childhood in big proportions but it is way too early for late 00s/early 10s nostalgia in the mainstream.

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/28/20 at 12:44 pm

I don’t think it’s that serious tbh. Let the kids have their fun. I don’t want us to become obnoxious/elitist towards 00s babies like 80s babies were to us.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/28/20 at 1:49 pm

While I don't treat it as seriously as you do, it was rather surprising how quickly early 2000s nostalgia ended online, as you said. It took hold online in 2015, but quickly ended by 2018, whereas 90s nostalgia lasted online from like 2005-2015, lol.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/29/20 at 5:02 am

While I don't treat it as seriously as you do, it was rather surprising how quickly early 2000s nostalgia ended online, as you said. It took hold online in 2015, but quickly ended by 2018, whereas 90s nostalgia lasted online from like 2005-2015, lol.

You know, I'm at the point where half of that 2005-2015 duration was actually the early 2000's, but the problem is that the 80's babies shaming the 90's babies over the years caused many 90's babies to lump many early 2000's cultural stuff in the late 90's when it always belonged to the early 2000's, then 80's babies (or kids of the 90's) were very hypocritical, claiming the early 2000's pop cultural stuff as theirs. IDK it's complicated. I believe shrinkingviolet brought this up on another thread. It irritates me honestly, and I can understand why ZeldaFan feel the way he does.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 01/29/20 at 5:37 am

I don't understand how anyone could get worked up over the type of nostalgia that is on the internet. I mean, why would you? Why does it even matter? You can have nostalgia for any era at any time.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/29/20 at 5:44 am

I don't understand how anyone could get worked up over the type of nostalgia that is on the internet. I mean, why would you? Why does it even matter? You can have nostalgia for any era at any time.
So true!

My 'nostalgia' can be from a long time before the Internet was created and the World Wide Web was invented.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/29/20 at 11:04 am

You know, I'm at the point where half of that 2005-2015 duration was actually the early 2000's, but the problem is that the 80's babies shaming the 90's babies over the years caused many 90's babies to lump many early 2000's cultural stuff in the late 90's when it always belonged to the early 2000's, then 80's babies (or kids of the 90's) were very hypocritical, claiming the early 2000's pop cultural stuff as theirs. IDK it's complicated. I believe shrinkingviolet brought this up on another thread. It irritates me honestly, and I can understand why ZeldaFan feel the way he does.

DING DING DING!!!!

A lot of the 90s centric stuff that 90s babies were being nostalgic over in the early-mid 2010s, was stuff that either:

A) debuted in the late section of the decade, in which more 90s babies would find nostalgic rather than 80s babies, to begin with

And/Or

B) 90s trends that continued well into the early section of the 2000s decade, that both 80s & 90s babies could relate to

And the irony of it, is now you have many 80s babies having the audacity to say that even the early 2000s were ‘before our time’. Mainly because many of us were in elementary school at the time, that somehow nullifies our apparent nostalgia of that era. You guys may think I’m being overly hyperbolical, but let’s not try and act like if the shoe was on the other foot, that 80s babies would be sitting calmly. Because, anybody over the age of 21 vividly remembers as such, how they were complete jack-asses to us, even if, we were for just for a second, wanted to claim, justifiably so, that ‘Bill Nye The Science Guy was apart of my childhood’, as an example ;D.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/30/20 at 9:26 pm

I think the early 2000s nostalgia is just beginning now really. Not talking about the BuzzFeed crap. But check out the post and video I posted, it went viral on YouTube. 2000s nostalgia is slowly creeping in to the mainstream.

Written By: 2001 on 01/30/20 at 9:42 pm

Just block 80s babies out of your lives. You'll be happier!

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/30/20 at 11:01 pm

Just block 80s babies out of your lives. You'll be happier!

I honestly don't have a bone to pick with them. My siblings are 80s babies and many of my co-workers at my job were born in the 80s and we  all get along fine. Hell, me and one of my coworkers were just nostalgically talking about DBZ a couple of weeks ;D. I just think the internet brings the worst out of people, someone whom in real life that you could have a reasonable conversation with can become a completely different person online.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 02/05/20 at 7:02 pm

I don’t think it’s that serious tbh. Let the kids have their fun. I don’t want us to become obnoxious/elitist towards 00s babies like 80s babies were to us.
Excatly im glad 00s babies can enjoy being nostalgic without any backlash.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/07/20 at 4:19 pm

It' kinda wild how the tide has turned over the last year 1/2!!! :o :D
Btw, I disagree with Max(zelek) on one thing, during the late 2000s it was the late 80s/ early 90s kid nostalgia crazy from what i recall.

Written By: Zelek3 on 02/07/20 at 4:37 pm

It' kinda wild how the tide has turned over the last year 1/2!!! :o :D
Btw, I disagree with Max(zelek) on one thing, during the late 2000s it was the late 80s/ early 90s kid nostalgia crazy from what i recall.

It might've overlapped with late 90s-early 00s nostalgia at the time. Online, I remember that by 2009, there were already plenty of sentiments like "RIP Cartoon network 1992-2004" and "Pokemon G1 was the best".

Written By: Sman12 on 02/07/20 at 5:53 pm

Well, here's how I, a Zoomer, see it.

It's honestly crazy how much the nostalgia culture has quickly shifted on YouTube, because back in 2015 or so, late 90s and early-mid 2000s nostalgia was still prevalent on the platform. I also remember a video called "2000's Kid Commercials" (no longer exists) that had over a million views with commercials that were on Nickelodeon in 2000.

Here's another example of an early 2000s commercial compilation which has a really sizable view count of nearly 700k:

1K7wsJQvGew

Then all of a sudden, a YouTuber with a blank username arrives on the nostalgia circuit and posts this massive gem from last year:

fNF5iKhVoVA

After that, an avalanche of early to late Zoomer nostalgia videos/compilations dispersed throughout YouTube and gained hundreds of thousands of views from young kids that are now coming of age.

So early 2000s nostalgia will never die by those who still remember it, but by the very late 2010s, it looked like Gen Z "took the torch" from Millenials with Internet nostalgia. Pop culture nowadays does seem to be shifting a bit towards Gen Z, so maybe the nostalgia could be a contributing factor to the shift.  :)

But I fear for the late 2010s nostalgia....oh, boy. Fortnite, mumble rap, and fidget spinners, here we come!

Written By: mc98 on 02/07/20 at 6:32 pm

Well, here's how I, a Zoomer, see it.

It's honestly crazy how much the nostalgia culture has quickly shifted on YouTube, because back in 2015 or so, late 90s and early-mid 2000s nostalgia was still prevalent on the platform. I also remember a video called "2000's Kid Commercials" (no longer exists) that had over a million views with commercials that were on Nickelodeon in 2000.

Here's another example of an early 2000s commercial compilation which has a really sizable view count of nearly 700k:

1K7wsJQvGew

Then all of a sudden, a YouTuber with a blank username arrives on the nostalgia circuit and posts this massive gem from last year:

fNF5iKhVoVA

After that, an avalanche of early to late Zoomer nostalgia videos/compilations dispersed throughout YouTube and gained hundreds of thousands of views from young kids that are now coming of age.

So early 2000s nostalgia will never die by those who still remember it, but by the very late 2010s, it looked like Gen Z "took the torch" from Millenials with Internet nostalgia. Pop culture nowadays does seem to be shifting a bit towards Gen Z, so maybe the nostalgia could be a contributing factor to the shift.  :)

But I fear for the late 2010s nostalgia....oh, boy. Fortnite, mumble rap, and fidget spinners, here we come!

Five Nights At Freddy's is not early 2010s, it's actually mid 2010s lol.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/07/20 at 8:11 pm

I can't relate to anything after 2005 and even that is pushing it for me.

Same for me as well! Although the action cartoons and the anime I can tho! 8) ;D

Written By: Zelek3 on 02/07/20 at 9:01 pm

Five Nights At Freddy's is not early 2010s, it's actually mid 2010s lol.

Most "normies" don't use the three part division (early/mid/late) for decades, they use two parts (early/late). To them, 2010-2014/5 is "early 2010s", while 2015/6-2019 is "late 2010s".

Written By: Zelek3 on 02/07/20 at 9:08 pm

People said the same thing about the prospect of late 00s-early 10s nostalgia lol (as is the cycle throughout history).

The prospect of Angry birds nostalgia, Johnny test nostalgia, Lil wayne nostalgia, etc. sent fear into 90s kids' hearts, plus there were all these rants at the time like "RIP Nickelodeon 1979-2004", "RIP Cartoon Network 1992-2004", "Everyone know the 90s didn't end till 2004", "Why did everything start to suck in 2004", etc. Older people hated the late 00s-early 10s when living through them.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 02/08/20 at 4:25 am

Most "normies" don't use the three part division (early/mid/late) for decades, they use two parts (early/late). To them, 2010-2014/5 is "early 2010s", while 2015/6-2019 is "late 2010s".
They do for the 90s tho. It's seems that the mid 00s doesn't exist in the eyes of normies.

Written By: Sman12 on 02/08/20 at 8:06 am

Well, I didn't make the video.  :P

Written By: Sman12 on 02/08/20 at 8:28 am

People said the same thing about the prospect of late 00s-early 10s nostalgia lol (as is the cycle throughout history).

The prospect of Angry birds nostalgia, Johnny test nostalgia, Lil wayne nostalgia, etc. sent fear into 90s kids' hearts, plus there were all these rants at the time like "RIP Nickelodeon 1979-2004", "RIP Cartoon Network 1992-2004", "Everyone know the 90s didn't end till 2004", "Why did everything start to suck in 2004", etc. Older people hated the late 00s-early 10s when living through them.

A lot of us still hate Johnny Test, so don't really worry about that. ;D Nostalgia is cyclical, though, so it is inevitable for Gen Alpha to praise the late 2010s culture (as much as I despise it).

Written By: mwalker1996 on 02/08/20 at 7:37 pm

A lot of us still hate Johnny Test, so don't really worry about that. ;D Nostalgia is cyclical, though, so it is inevitable for Gen Alpha to praise the late 2010s culture (as much as I despise it).
By then most of us aren't gonna care as much since we will be a lot older and busier with our adult life. I don't mind late 10s nostalgia since 2017-18 school year was like the best time for me in the 10s.

Written By: Sman12 on 02/09/20 at 3:36 pm

By then most of us aren't gonna care as much since we will be a lot older and busier with our adult life. I don't mind late 10s nostalgia since 2017-18 school year was like the best time for me in the 10s.

Wow, really?  :o

Written By: mwalker1996 on 02/09/20 at 3:56 pm

Wow, really?  :o
Yeah it was the time I was finishing college, made the Dean's list that year, made great friends (some who I'm still in touch with till this day), playing rocket league, and the tine I joined inthe00s and popedia. My life will take a shap decline around summer 2018 but I definitely enjoyed fall 2017-spring 2018.

Written By: Sman12 on 02/09/20 at 9:03 pm

Yeah it was the time I was finishing college, made the Dean's list that year, made great friends (some who I'm still in touch with till this day), playing rocket league, and the tine I joined inthe00s and popedia. My life will take a shap decline around summer 2018 but I definitely enjoyed fall 2017-spring 2018.

Well, that's nice to hear. My 2017-18 school year was dealing with active shooter drills, school walk-outs, earrape memes, and difficult honors geometry. I guess you can call me a pessimist that way.

Written By: Zelek3 on 02/18/20 at 10:04 pm

It's funny, on the internet, there was already early 2000s nostalgia by 2008, if this video is to believed.

TyFvaDv5JxI

To me, and others, 2000-2003 did feel like it had been a while ago by 2008, and by then I remember people were *already* saying "Why did pop culture start to suck after 2004", "RIP Cartoon Network 1992-2004", and "Everyone knows the 90s didn't end till 2004" (yes, they were saying that even in 2008).

However, to people who were already adults in both 2003 and 2008, the gap probably felt like nothing. Seems like as you get older, time gets faster.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/18/20 at 10:08 pm

It's funny, on the internet, there was already early 2000s nostalgia by 2008, if this video is to believed.

TyFvaDv5JxI

To me, and others, 2000-2003 did feel like it had been a while ago by 2008, and by then I remember people were *already* saying "Why did pop culture start to suck in 2004", "RIP Cartoon Network 1992-2004", and "Everyone knows the 90s didn't end till 2004" (yes, they were saying that even in 2008).

However, to people who were already adults in both 2003 and 2008, the gap probably felt like nothing. Seems like as you get older, time gets faster.

That could be but we still can't deny how many more changed happened in the '00s compared to the '10s.

Written By: 2001 on 02/18/20 at 10:19 pm

TyFvaDv5JxI

To me, and others, 2000-2003 did feel like it had been a while ago by 2008, and by then I remember people were *already* saying "Why did pop culture start to suck after 2004", "RIP Cartoon Network 1992-2004", and "Everyone knows the 90s didn't end till 2004" (yes, they were saying that even in 2008).

Gaming started to suck after 2001, according to my 2008 self.

Check for new replies or respond here...