inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: An article for all you 00s technology doubters out there...

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 01/07/20 at 12:51 pm

I know a lot of you younger users think that we were in the stoneage back in the 00s...but here's an article that proves you all wrong ;)

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/12799434.hamster-killer-is-spared-jail/

An excerpt from the article reads as follows

As revealed in later editions of yesterday's Evening Times, sick Steven Gordon lead friends in torturing the defenceless animal in Glasgow's Possilpark in October 2005.

Footage of the horrific incident was filmed on mobile phone cameras and lead to Gordon being arrested.

See!? We millenials had phones with cameras back when we were teens as well! We could take pictures and videos on our phones as well. It was just that old people tended not to have the advanced technology like they do now days.

Subject: Re: An article for all you 00s technology doubters out there...

Written By: 2001 on 01/07/20 at 1:02 pm

People on this website make a huge obsession with the number 50%. If 50% of people didn't own an iPod, it's not mainstream. If 50% didn't own a smartphone, it's not mainstream. If 50% didn't have broadband, it's not mainstream. Heck, if 50% don't own a product, it may as well be 0%.

But is there actually a perceptive level of difference between 45% and 50%? Not really. If you have 20 friends, all that means is one more friend got a phone, the other 10 still don't have one.

It also ignores competition (people might own an MP3 player other than iPods), substitution (why get a smartphone if you have an iPod Touch? Why get a phone with a camera if you have a camera?) and the fact that people simply don't care to buy the product (why would a 70 year old in 2001 care to get broadband when they've gone their entire life without the Internet?) Numbers don't always tell you as much as actually being in the year itself.

Written By: wixness on 01/07/20 at 1:09 pm

I know a lot of you younger users think that we were in the stoneage back in the 00s...but here's an article that proves you all wrong ;)

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/12799434.hamster-killer-is-spared-jail/

An excerpt from the article reads as follows

See!? We millenials had phones with cameras back when we were teens as well! We could take pictures and videos on our phones as well. It was just that old people tended not to have the advanced technology like they do now days.
Yeah I'm a bit sick of the misconceptions spreading around with the 2000s. We had feature phones that were almost like smartphones. Heck, both the Nokias of the day and Android used Java! The only key differences were the interface, wi-fi support and app updates. Some of the software I enjoyed on feature phones could be comparable to the experience of today's smartphones - I once came across a 3D flight sim on mobile!
https://www.mobiles24.com/static/previews/downloads/default/109/P-139953-7i0p19Qqhp-1.jpg

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 01/07/20 at 6:04 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the support. Slowpoke, I know you don't consider a Blackberry a smartphone, but I do. The interface is different but it still has the core concept of a smartphone.

Riven, I enjoy your detailed description of 00's feature phones. I remember even my basic Sagem my-x52 that I bought for £50 back when I was at school in 2005 had basic internet, camera, colour screen, polyphonic ring tones etc. It was more "advanced" that the basic phone that I have today, as I don't have a smartphone and prefer to be at my PC for internet and app use.

Sure they weren't a touch on smartphones but nothing like the phones of the early 90s that some people seem to think the 00's tech was!

That 3d flight sim looked fun and interesting, also!

Written By: Slim95 on 01/07/20 at 7:23 pm

The true 2000s were truly a different time technologically speaking. It wasn't the stone age but it was the transition from the old world to the new. It was primitive and the technology used back then looks antiquated today. It was a different world back then. It makes sense because the 2000s are now 11 - 20 years old.

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/08/20 at 3:43 pm

The true 2000s were truly a different time technologically speaking. It wasn't the stone age but it was the transition from the old world to the new. It was primitive and the technology used back then looks antiquated today. It was a different world back then. It makes sense because the 2000s are now 11 - 20 years old.

Yeah I really don’t get what point OP is making. Of course we had camera phones in the 2000s, so what? A Motorola Razr from 2006 might as well be ancient history now.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/09/20 at 11:48 am

2000's was really strong in modern technology and early social media let's say between 2006-2009, but when talking about 2000-2003, it definitely doesn't relate to the 2010's or today. The 2000's was very transitional for technology and social media. No one is saying the 00's didn't have strong technology at all, but when talking about the digital age, the rise social media, smartphones, high definition, and so forth, we weren't fully in that era until the later half of the decade.

Written By: Howard on 01/09/20 at 2:35 pm

The 2000's also had the debuts of The PS2 And The PS3.

Written By: Senor Teletubby on 01/09/20 at 2:45 pm

This forum is dead

Written By: JaxRhapsody on 01/21/20 at 5:49 am

Black Berries ans Palm Pilots paved the way for smartphones. With them came the likes of the Sidekick and similar. I remember my first smartphone, a ZTE Score.

Check for new replies or respond here...