inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: March 2003 was a dark month

Written By: 2001 on 01/10/20 at 8:44 pm

* Iraq War starts
* Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire comes out
* The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker comes out

https://media.giphy.com/media/uA7iGzhqHGVtS/giphy.gif

Subject: Re: March 2003 was a dark month

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/11/20 at 5:02 am

It was dark for me, I was unemployed back then.

Written By: imrane on 01/11/20 at 6:55 am

For me it was good as I moved to the other class due to bullying. A year later I found there were some nasties there too but I bullied them back. ;)

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/11/20 at 7:58 am

Although it was actually late February (the 27th), Fred Rogers passed away. He was a big part of many of our childhoods, and was one of a kind. One good thing that came out of March is Legend of Zelda - The Windwaker. 2003 overall seemed like a dark year for me, politically and in my personal life. It was one of those years when it was one thing after another. It was like the 2019 of the time, except with better music.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/11/20 at 11:20 am

Slowpoke, you're not actually saying you didn't like The Wind Waker, right? Because, if so, my opinion of you is going to take a big hit.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/11/20 at 12:11 pm

I remember in late Feb 2003 (into March) I went on a fabulous business trip to Norway - did I mention it was fabulous?  (Even though I was doing work, it was fabulous!)  I recall at the time having some anxiety about the startup of the Iraq war, and that I was having difficulty finding out what was going on while there because (a) it was before smart phones, (b) we had limited computer access while we were off duty, and (c) most all the TV stations in the hotel were reporting the news in Norwegian.  I had to rely on BBC, thank goodness for them.

Thus I don't regard the whole month as "dark".  But I certainly had some concerns about the war going forward.

Written By: 2001 on 01/11/20 at 6:25 pm

Slowpoke, you're not actually saying you didn't like The Wind Waker, right? Because, if so, my opinion of you is going to take a big hit.

That's actually lowkey why I made this thread ;D

I remember in late Feb 2003 (into March) I went on a fabulous business trip to Norway - did I mention it was fabulous?  (Even though I was doing work, it was fabulous!)  I recall at the time having some anxiety about the startup of the Iraq war, and that I was having difficulty finding out what was going on while there because (a) it was before smart phones, (b) we had limited computer access while we were off duty, and (c) most all the TV stations in the hotel were reporting the news in Norwegian.  I had to rely on BBC, thank goodness for them.

Thus I don't regard the whole month as "dark".  But I certainly had some concerns about the war going forward.

BBC can be a lifesaver (or not). I was in Goa in India during the 2004 Asian Tsunami. I was awake at 6AM (jet lag), and there being nothing else on TV, I was watching the BBC, and that's around the time the tsunami hit. Then the electricity went out (happens very often there), and I thought the tsunami was headed our way. I told everyone else, and since I spoke English, everyone took me seriously and a mini-panic set in. Thankfully the police managed to determine that we weren't in danger, and that the tsunami was happening on India's east coast (and not the west coast where I was). :-X

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/11/20 at 8:48 pm

That's actually lowkey why I made this thread ;D

The funny thing is that I was part of that group that hated on Wind Waker when it came out because it didn't look like the previous games, but after I played it over the years it's become a top 10 game for me.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/12/20 at 12:31 am

When was that infamous blackout in New York?

Check for new replies or respond here...