inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: People in the media are really stretching the definition of "millennial" now

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 01/11/20 at 12:36 pm

I've noticed a worrying trend in the media of people referring to those born this side of the Millennium as "Millennial" when that definition is incorrect. Millennial is supposed to mean someone who was born so that they would be an adult at the turn of the Millennium, the earliest being 1982 which would make them 18 in 2000.

Anyone born after 2000 is a gen Z as far as I'm concerned.

Subject: Re: People in the media are really stretching the definition of "millennial" now

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/11/20 at 12:46 pm

I've noticed that for a long time. Many in the media are still using "millennial" as a catchall for "young people". Just another example of how out of touch the mainstream media really is.

Subject: Re: People in the media are really stretching the definition of "millennial" now

Written By: wixness on 01/11/20 at 1:21 pm

I think they just want a word to lump together anyone who subscribes to political correctness.

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/11/20 at 1:34 pm

I've noticed that for a long time. Many in the media are still using "millennial" as a catchall for "young people". Just another example of how out of touch the mainstream media really is.

Yeah, that's been the case for a while now but Gen Z is becoming more mainstream. I ever hear people using it in real life now as opposed to just on the internet.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/11/20 at 2:21 pm

I don't care about this anymore. I cared in 2018, but not anymore lol.

Written By: 2001 on 01/11/20 at 2:46 pm

Yeah, that's been the case for a while now but Gen Z is becoming more mainstream. I ever hear people using it in real life now as opposed to just on the internet.

Yeah, I've been seeing more people using Generation Z, and #iGen.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/11/20 at 4:12 pm

I work with a guy who's about 35 and one of my supervisors is a woman who's about 24, and sometimes I'll call them snowflakes and ask them if they've ate any Tide Pods lately.  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 01/11/20 at 5:05 pm

I work with a guy who's about 35 and one of my supervisors is a woman who's about 24, and sometimes I'll call them snowflakes and ask them if they've ate any Tide Pods lately.  ;D

We're snowflakes but tide pods are part of Generation Z cuisine (they are also snowflakes).

Written By: Howard on 01/12/20 at 7:01 am

We're snowflakes but tide pods are part of Generation Z cuisine (they are also snowflakes).

And I would never ever eat a Tide Pod.  ::)

Written By: 2001 on 01/12/20 at 7:38 am

And I would never ever eat a Tide Pod.  ::)

Don't be a picky eater, expand your horizons.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/12/20 at 1:32 pm

Yeah it was even in the new zombieland movie

Written By: Howard on 01/12/20 at 2:00 pm

Don't be a picky eater, expand your horizons.

Why don't you eat one?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81vOCWTje7L._AC_SY355_.jpg

Written By: exodus08 on 01/12/20 at 2:15 pm

Why don't you eat one?

Those are Gen X's kids. Eating Tide pods and using Tik Tok.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/12/20 at 2:17 pm

Why don't you eat one?

Surely it can be dangerous?

Written By: Howard on 01/12/20 at 2:21 pm

Surely it can be dangerous?

quite dangerous, it can land you in the hospital.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/12/20 at 2:22 pm

quite dangerous, it can land you in the hospital.
It is self-inflicting, so no symphony here!

Written By: fusefan on 01/24/20 at 1:28 pm

It sometimes befuddles me when people tweet something like this out:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ddayen/status/1212938736977100800

My guess is that they think millennials and Gen Y are separate generations and not just two different terms for the same generation. They think “Millennials” were born after 2000, and those who are the real millennials born in the 80s and 90s are “Gen Y.”

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 01/24/20 at 7:30 pm

My guess is that they think millennials and Gen Y are separate generations and not just two different terms for the same generation. They think “Millennials” were born after 2000, and those who are the real millennials born in the 80s and 90s are “Gen Y.”

No, they think that anyone born from about 1980 to present is a "Millennial". Hardly anyone outside of the internet uses the terms "Gen Y" or "Gen Z".

Written By: Sman12 on 01/24/20 at 9:09 pm

Tide pods are so 2018.

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/25/20 at 2:15 pm

No, they think that anyone born from about 1980 to present is a "Millennial". Hardly anyone outside of the internet uses the terms "Gen Y" or "Gen Z".

There are lots of people on sites like Reddit and Twitter who think Gen Y and Millennials are different generations, and they’re usually people born in the 1980s who resent being Millennials. If the person in that tweet thinks Millennials have no first-hand experience of 2002, despite the oldest Millennials being in their 20s at the time, then they obviously think Millennials were born in the 21st century.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 01/25/20 at 2:33 pm

There are lots of people on sites like Reddit and Twitter who think Gen Y and Millennials are different generations, and they’re usually people born in the 1980s who resent being Millennials. If the person in that tweet thinks Millennials have no first-hand experience of 2002, despite the oldest Millennials being in their 20s at the time, then they obviously think Millennials were born in the 21st century.

Yeah, some '80s borns don't like being called Millennials and prefer the term "Gen Y".

I was born in 1999. Here on the internet, there is huge debates about whether 1995-2000 borns are Late Millennials or Early Gen Z. However, in real life, most people just call all of us "Millennials". "Millennial" is used as a catch all term for people under 35 lol

Written By: 2001 on 01/26/20 at 1:04 pm

Millennials grew up in the millennium, it's right in the name. 🤦‍♂️

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/26/20 at 3:58 pm

They were grilling his a** in the comments  ;D

I guess some people millennials refers to people born in the new Millennium, not those who grew up in it.

Written By: rapplepop on 01/28/20 at 8:37 pm

In China they just define your generation based on what decade you were born in. They call them post-80s, post-90s, post-00s, etc. It makes some sense since China has changed so rapidly over the past 40 years, generations would be rather short.

Written By: wixness on 01/29/20 at 3:43 am

In China they just define your generation based on what decade you were born in. They call them post-80s, post-90s, post-00s, etc. It makes some sense since China has changed so rapidly over the past 40 years, generations would be rather short.

Consider too that China doesn't seem so politically divided compared to other nations (well, those who don't fall in line with the Chinese Communist Party's doctrine receive pretty much an unforgivable treatment like with Uyghur Muslims and those who live in Hong Kong and Taiwan), whereas other nations will have other aspects that define generations beyond years. It's probably why the "OK Boomer" meme gained popularity here in the west in regards to political and social attitudes.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/29/20 at 11:14 am

Millennials grew up in the millennium, it's right in the name. 🤦‍♂️

Russian Troll Bot SlowPoke Strikes AGAIN!!!!

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/29/20 at 11:27 am

Older Millennials are nearing 40, Younger Millennials are solidly in their 20s. Anybody over the age of 22 should be able to remember The Iraq War in some way, shape, or form, and not to mention Bush’s controversial presidency at large.

The buildup of the Iraq War however, I will admit, I don’t remember much of, as I was too young to understand the significance of going to war at the time. However, I do vividly remember the post 9/11 American exceptionalism Kool-Aid that everybody and their mother were drinking (and not to mention eating, in the form of ‘Freedom Fries’ ;D). That obviously changed in tune as the war was starting ramp up, as I do vividly remember the initial invasion in March of 2003 (around my 7th birthday no less) and being genuinely bit terrified about it, looking watching it on TV unfold like that. I remember that because of the height of the Iraq War in the mid 2000s and the malaise surrounding it, how that was used in the House Elections of 2006 by Democrats in them taking back control of the House.

The 2000s were an interesting time.
It was sort of like a mixture of the counter-cultural elements of the 60s (Vietnam vs. Iraq) and the materialistic culture of the 80s (tech advances, name brands, flashy cars, and ‘supply side’/aloof GOP President in both decades).

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/29/20 at 12:40 pm

I lived close to an airbase when the Iraq war started so we frequently saw fighter jets flying over. As an aviation enthusiast it was pretty cool.

I was never scared of the Iraq war though. It was too far away to be important.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/29/20 at 3:31 pm

I lived close to an airbase when the Iraq war started so we frequently saw fighter jets flying over. As an aviation enthusiast it was pretty cool.

I was never scared of the Iraq war though. It was too far away to be important.

Do you remember any political backlash in your country against the Iraq War? There was a lot of that in the States.

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/29/20 at 3:37 pm

Do you remember any political backlash in your country against the Iraq War? There was a lot of that in the States.

There was a giant anti-war protest in London in March 2003 that attracted over 1 million people and became the biggest protest in UK history. And the then Labour government lost a lot of seats to the anti-war Liberal Democrats in 2005.

The war had broad public support at the time, but nearly 17 years later and you can hardly find anyone who thinks it was a good idea. The power of hindsight.

Written By: exodus08 on 01/30/20 at 2:51 pm

I believe if you were born in the 80s to first half of the 90s you’re part of Gen Y/Millennial.

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/30/20 at 3:13 pm

I like the 1981-1996 definition. The only reason 1980 gets include is because it’s the first year of the 80s but other than that I don’t think they’re especially Millennial.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 01/30/20 at 3:59 pm

I believe that Gen Z starts in 1995.

I don't view people like Post Malone, Zendaya, Tom Holland, Hailey Bieber, etc as Gen Y/Millennials. They are very much Gen Z. Just early Gen Z. (1995-1996 borns).

Early Gen Z (1995-2000 borns) have some Gen Y/Millennial influence to varying degrees.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/30/20 at 4:00 pm

I like the 1981-1996 definition. The only reason 1980 gets include is because it’s the first year of the 80s but other than that I don’t think they’re especially Millennial.

According to Google, Wikipedia, and other studies, this is the most widely accepted definition, but at the same time, 1995 has become the most widely accepted start for Gen Z too, which makes 1995 & 1996 right in the middle pack.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/30/20 at 4:01 pm

I don't view people like Post Malone, Zendaya, Tom Holland, Hailey Bieber, etc as Gen Y/Millennials. They are very much Gen Z. Just early Gen Z. (1995-1996 borns).

Early Gen Z (1995-2000 borns) have some Gen Y/Millennial influence to varying degrees.

This is fair. I respect this. I feel like I'm in the middle but I'm okay with being called early Gen Z now.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/30/20 at 4:06 pm

Now you've got people born in 2002 even claiming they're "not Gen Z" because they grew up with Minecraft and are "too old to be Fortnite Jake Paulers", lol.

To older users of the Internet though, Minecraft kids hating Fortnite kids is like babies hating smaller babies.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/30/20 at 4:08 pm

Now you've got people born in 2002 even claiming they're "not Gen Z" because they grew up with Minecraft and are "too old to be Fortnite Jake Paulers", lol.

To older users of the Internet though, Minecraft kids hating Fortnite kids is like babies hating smaller babies.

That's like a 1987 born refusing to call themselves a "millennial". Yeah, they'll find disappointment very quickly.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 01/30/20 at 4:14 pm

What lol? Nobody who is born after 9/11 is a Millennial.

Billie Eilish, who won 5 Grammy's the other day, was born in December 2001. A Grammy winner born AFTER 9/11. That's crazy :o.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/30/20 at 4:19 pm

What lol? Nobody who is born after 9/11 is a Millennial.

Billie Eilish, who won 5 Grammy's the other day, was born in December 2001. A Grammy winner born AFTER 9/11. That's crazy :o.

Yeah I know, I just see it a lot on Reddit/Facebook/Twitter/TikTok these days, 18 year olds who grew up with Minecraft don't want to be associated with 12 year olds who grew up with Fortnite.

That's how it is for all generations though, older cohorts hating on/not wanting to be with younger cohorts.

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/30/20 at 5:03 pm

According to Google, Wikipedia, and other studies, this is the most widely accepted definition, but at the same time, 1995 has become the most widely accepted start for Gen Z too, which makes 1995 & 1996 right in the middle pack.

I will never accept being called Gen Z. I don’t know why it bothers me so much but I just don’t like it. I don’t see today’s teenagers as part of my generation.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/30/20 at 5:10 pm

That's mainly because the bulk of their target audience is Gen Z. So it makes sense that they themselves come off as such. That doesn't actually mean that people born in these two years actually are Gen Z though. In real life, most 95ers-96ers are done with undergraduate education and are either already working in their careers or are in postgraduate education programs (Med, Busi, Law schools, etc.). Hell, I already know a fair some of people getting engaged and or having kids, some have had kids for a while now. We're not old necessarily, but we're certainly not the hottest thing on the block anymore either. Our core youth has been long and gone for several years now, practically a decade ago, back when youth culture was clearly in the late Millennial era.

I understand where you're coming from with the celebrity examples, and I respect your opinion. I just don't think that famous people should have much bearing to regular people that just so happened to had been born in the same exact year as them, two completely different experiences. Anecdote; but I look at someone like Tekashi 6IXNine as some disrespectful 'edgolord' kid, that disrespects my city to the max. This is despite the fact that he's only 2 months younger than me. See what I mean?

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/30/20 at 5:11 pm

Yeah I know, I just see it a lot on Reddit/Facebook/Twitter/TikTok these days, 18 year olds who grew up with Minecraft don't want to be associated with 12 year olds who grew up with Fortnite.

That's how it is for all generations though, older cohorts hating on/not wanting to be with younger cohorts.

Now that's just ignorance at that point. Perhaps that is just two waves of the same generation, not two distinctly different generations.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 01/30/20 at 7:05 pm

That's mainly because the bulk of their target audience is Gen Z. So it makes sense that they themselves come off as such. That doesn't actually mean that people born in these two years actually are Gen Z though. In real life, most 95ers-96ers are done with undergraduate education and are either already working in their careers or are in postgraduate education programs (Med, Busi, Law schools, etc.). Hell, I already know a fair some of people getting engaged and or having kids, some have had kids for a while now. We're not old necessarily, but we're certainly not the hottest thing on the block anymore either. Our core youth has been long and gone for several years now, practically a decade ago, back when youth culture was clearly in the late Millennial era.

I understand where you're coming from with the celebrity examples, and I respect your opinion. I just don't think that famous people should have much bearing to regular people that just so happened to had been born in the same exact year as them, two completely different experiences. Anecdote; but I look at someone like Tekashi 6IXNine as some disrespectful 'edgolord' kid, that disrespects my city to the max. This is despite the fact that he's only 2 months younger than me. See what I mean?

I respectfully disagree. Being early Gen Z is not the equivalent of being Core Gen Z (those born 2003-2006). Also, like I said, most early Gen Zers have SOME Gen Y/Millennial influence to varying degrees. 1995/1996 borns depending on the person will have more Gen Y influence but overall are still Gen Z.

When you look at even more celebrities born in 1995 and 1996, I honestly wouldn't classify them as being Gen Y, they're Gen Z to me..just early Gen Z. People like Logan Paul, Kendall Jenner, Ross Lynch, Gigi Hadid, Gabby Douglas, A Boogie wit da Hoodie, RiceGum, Lele Pons, David Dobrik, Liza Koshy, Dove Cameron, etc. Those celebrities are Gen Z celebrities to me and not just because of their fan bases.

I guess that we'll have to agree to disagree.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/30/20 at 7:06 pm

You're all millennials to me.  ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 01/30/20 at 7:30 pm

You're all millennials to me.  ;D

Yeah, I know. The term Gen Z is mostly used online and by SOME research groups.

However, most older people (40 and above) just refer to those of us under 30 as "Millennials" ;D.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/30/20 at 7:35 pm

Here's another thing, as Black Panther has already brought up more than once, when it comes to celebrities, 1995 and 1996 are clear cut Gen Z. You don't ever hear 1995 or 1996 celebrities being called "millennials". That is definitely true. When it comes to Gen Z celebrities (not average citizens) it starts at 1995 through and thorough.

Written By: violet_shy on 01/30/20 at 8:00 pm

Ok, these generational terms are erroneous. I have recently visited Wikipedia and found that the most precise generational terms can be found there. It just seems akin to that the media keeps making up these terms to get the attention of people and engender these kinds of discussions. I have no doubt in my mind that people do cerebrate about this day and night without ceasing. We have to go back to the term "Generation" itself. What does it denote? It signifies a group of individuals who share similiar life experiences and convivial status. And in integration, prevalent age. Maybe that will avail us to figure who belongs to which generation in the future.  :)

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/30/20 at 8:08 pm

I respectfully disagree. Being early Gen Z is not the equivalent of being Core Gen Z (those born 2003-2006). Also, like I said, most early Gen Zers have SOME Gen Y/Millennial influence to varying degrees. 1995/1996 borns depending on the person will have more Gen Y influence but overall are still Gen Z.

When you look at even more celebrities born in 1995 and 1996, I honestly wouldn't classify them as being Gen Y, they're Gen Z to me..just early Gen Z. People like Logan Paul, Kendall Jenner, Ross Lynch, Gigi Hadid, Gabby Douglas, A Boogie wit da Hoodie, RiceGum, Lele Pons, David Dobrik, Liza Koshy, Dove Cameron, etc. Those celebrities are Gen Z celebrities to me and not just because of their fan bases.

I guess that we'll have to agree to disagree.

Well I’m trying to insinuate is that, while I agree that most of the celebrities you listed are ‘Gen Z celebrities’, that doesn’t mean that people that happened to share their birth years to these celebrities are Gen Z.

A good example of this is when you look at celebrities that were born from roughly 1975/1977-1981 or so. Tom Brady, Pitbull, Will Freidle, Ashley Simpson, Kanye West, Kim Kardashian, Brittany Murphy, Fergie, etc., hell, throw the main cast of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia to that list. They are all ‘Millennial celebrities’, despite the birth years that they were born in, are either solidly within Gen X or are in the cusp between X/Millennials. So yeah, Brittany Murphy was a famous celebrity with a largely Millennial fan base, but if you were to say to most people people born in 1977 that they are a Millennial, they would laugh in your face ;D.

My overall point is that Idgaf if Logan Paul, a grown ass man I might add, has a predominately under 18 audience. That doesn’t automatically make a regular joe-schmoe kind of guy born in 1995 a member of that generation.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/30/20 at 8:28 pm

Yeah, I know. The term Gen Z is mostly used online and by SOME research groups.

However, most older people (40 and above) just refer to those of us under 30 as "Millennials" ;D.

We're just too lazy to do the math.  ;D

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/30/20 at 8:50 pm

I will never accept being called Gen Z. I don’t know why it bothers me so much but I just don’t like it. I don’t see today’s teenagers as part of my generation.

It's probably because you've been referred to as a millennial most of your life. Generation Z is still new while millennial has been around forever.

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/30/20 at 8:52 pm

They're all the same thing to me. Minecraft, Fortnite same hoopla.

Written By: 2001 on 01/30/20 at 8:58 pm

I remember my friends playing Minecraft in 2009 in high school. I think most Gen Z didn't play it until 2012 when it got out of beta. If you preordered the game when it was in beta (and now get lifetime updates) you're Millennial Master Race. If not and you're paying for all the DLC like a total loser = Gen Z ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 01/30/20 at 9:41 pm

Well I’m trying to insinuate is that, while I agree that most of the celebrities you listed are ‘Gen Z celebrities’, that doesn’t mean that people that happened to share their birth years to these celebrities are Gen Z.

A good example of this is when you look at celebrities that were born from roughly 1975/1977-1981 or so. Tom Brady, Pitbull, Will Freidle, Ashley Simpson, Kanye West, Kim Kardashian, Brittany Murphy, Fergie, etc., hell, throw the main cast of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia to that list. They are all ‘Millennial celebrities’, despite the birth years that they were born in, are either solidly within Gen X or are in the cusp between X/Millennials. So yeah, Brittany Murphy was a famous celebrity with a largely Millennial fan base, but if you were to say to most people people born in 1977 that they are a Millennial, they would laugh in your face ;D.

My overall point is that Idgaf if Logan Paul, a grown ass man I might add, has a predominately under 18 audience. That doesn’t automatically make a regular joe-schmoe kind of guy born in 1995 a member of that generation.

I've literally never heard or seen anyone refer to those people as "Millennials". Literally...never. I don't know who you're hanging around with or what articles you've been reading because I've just never seen that lol.

Anyways, 1995-1996 borns can be considered to be either Late Gen Y/Millennials OR Early Gen Z. Based on the 1995/1996 borns I know, some claim one side over the other and others claim to be "Gen Y/Z cuspers". The Gen Z subreddit considers 1995-1996 borns to be the earliest members of Gen Z (however, I feel kind of old on that subreddit. Many of the posters were born from 2002-2005 ;D). There are definitely many 1995-1996 borns who are on that Gen Z subreddit though and they consider themselves Gen Z.

Logan Paul may be a "grown ass man" but he's still in my opinion, the ultimate stereotype of a Gen Zer ;D. Anyways, I understand why you are apprehensive towards 1995-1996 borns being labeled as "Gen Z". I absolutely get it. You guys got to experience more of the early '00s than those of us born in the late '90s and most of you guys are now in your mid '20s. However, if you were born in 1995-1996, that means the absolute peak year of your childhood was 2003-2004. That's post 9/11 and (mostly) post early '00s. That's pretty Gen Z to me.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/30/20 at 10:56 pm

I've literally never heard or seen anyone refer to those people as "Millennials". Literally...never. I don't know who you're hanging around with or what articles you've been reading because I've just never seen that lol.

Well you also have to take into account, that when a lot of these stars were breaking into mainstream, the term 'Millennial' was not en vogue. Gen Y was the term people used to define these stars, even if not explicitly. Kanye West, Kim Kardashian, Justin Timberlake, Heath Ledger, I could go on and on. We know in retrospect that they are at best 'Xennials', nor purely X nor Millennials. But they were still highly influential to the Millennial generation, hence why they are 'Millennial celebrities'. You simply cannot deny this.

Anyways, 1995-1996 borns can be considered to be either Late Gen Y/Millennials OR Early Gen Z. Based on the 1995/1996 borns I know, some claim one side over the other and others claim to be "Gen Y/Z cuspers". The Gen Z subreddit considers 1995-1996 borns to be the earliest members of Gen Z (however, I feel kind of old on that subreddit. Many of the posters were born from 2002-2005 ;D). There are definitely many 1995-1996 borns who are on that Gen Z subreddit though and they consider themselves Gen Z.

That is exactly my point bro ;D. I don't think most 95-96 babies in real life are going to necessarily consider themselves Z, if it means the stereotype of kids that eat tide pods or play Fortnite. You catch my drift? You may think that is an unfair assessment, but that's just how it is. I genuinely thought back in 2015, that by 2020 maybe people born in 95-96 may actually come around to potentially calling themselves Gen Z, once 2000s babies age into adulthood. Five years later and ironically, I feel like the opposite has been true; I predicted that there would be less of a generational gap and if anything I feel like there is much more of a generational gap than I could have ever imagined.

And I think I know the Reddit you're referring to, personally people can define themselves however they do fit. But, anecdotal though, it's not even a conversation explicitly on "if you define yourself as Y or Z", I just look at characteristics and traits that are commonly associated with either generation. I just don't see how anybody born in the mid 90s, especially with the more concrete data that has been incurred in recent years and Gen Z now being more & more identifiable, could have mostly Z characteristics. Perhaps a mixture of both, I'll grant that (hell, I'm not purely Y or Z myself, but I definitely lean more towards the former). However, it's borderline impossible for that to be the case. You think I'm just spouting my own opinion, but I am actually just being objective:

Here is a link to a thread from Personality Cafe in which I conducted this social experiment on which generation do you relate more to:

https://www.personalitycafe.com/generation-z-forum/895994-between-generation-y-generation-z-take-test-youll-see.html

You'll notice based on the results from the questionnaire, that for Mid 90s babies:

10 of them related more to Y

1 of them related more to Z

2 of them seemed to be equally split

(Or in other words; 76% Y, 7.6% Z, 15% YZ, 1.4% other)

Immediately, once you get to Late 90s babies, the answers become a lot more varied, which I guess logically makes sense:

7 of them related more to Z

16 of them seemed to be equally split

(Or in other words; 30% Y, 21% Z, 48% YZ, 1% other)

Finally, once you get to Early 00s babies, the answers are varied, but they clearly lean more towards the Z side of things:

1 of them related more to Y

7 of them seemed to be equally split

(Or in other words; 6.6% Y, 46% Z, 46% YZ, 1.4% other).

It's a rather small sample size, admittedly. Even so, empirically, Mid 90s babies and Early 00s babies are diametrically opposed, as Early 00s babies are more likely to relate to Z, while Mid 90s babies are more likely to relate to Y. When it is purely a Y v. Z discussion, even Late 90s babies are slightly more likely to relate to Y, but the 'mixture of both' option has a plurality over the two other choices. Another interesting thing I noticed is that, while Mid 90s babies and Early 00s babies are more likely to relate to one of the other respected generations they culturally/mathematically lean closer to, Mid 90s babies are much more often than not to relate specifically to Y, as 76% said so, while Early 00s babies are a tad bit reserved in their apparent generational relationship to Z, as only 46% said (not a mathematical plurality nor majority, but obviously more than those that related to Y). But I think it would be interesting to pose these questions to members on this forum (or Popedia), as I think it's a relatively accurate guide of characteristics in determining which generation you belong in, just to expand research and the data pool.

Logan Paul may be a "grown ass man" but he's still in my opinion, the ultimate stereotype of a Gen Zer ;D.

Once again, I am not discarding. Just don't let him speak for us. It's that simple.

Anyways, I understand why you are apprehensive towards 1995-1996 borns being labeled as "Gen Z". I absolutely get it. You guys got to experience more of the early '00s than those of born in the late '90s and most of you guys are now in your mid '20s. However, if you were born in 1995-1996, that means the absolute peak year of your childhood was 2003-2004. That's post 9/11 and (mostly) post early '00s. That's pretty Gen Z to me.

Ehhh..... I find it interesting that you bring that up. Guess who also had their peak childhoods mostly after 9/11? Those born in 1994. Why o why they are not in this discussion, is beyond me. The thing that connects those born in 94'-96', not to mention everybody born in the 80s through the mid 90s, we were all in compulsory school at the time of the attacks. If you're looking for a concrete example to use, that would be it. Although I've also explained in the past how Gen Y child centric culture lasted to the mid 00s, especially as the Web 1.0 era was transitioning into the Web 2.0 era. If you're childhood was primarily after 2005; social media, smartphones, faster internet, wi-fi, HDTVs, 7th generation video game consoles, etc. etc., then that would be more emblematic of a Z childhood. I don't care how many times someone born in the mid 90s wants jump and down, they are not time travelers ;D. Doing your upmost to stay relevant with current youth culture to appeal to a younger fanbase is one thing, but actually being apart of that generation is completely different.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 01/30/20 at 11:27 pm

Well Zelda, that was a long response ;D. What about the term Zillennial? (combination of Millennial and Gen Z).

The Zillennials subreddit says that it ranges from 1992-1999 :P.

Also, I think that 1994 borns can also consider themselves Gen Z, obviously, depending on the person. But 1994 overall, lean towards Gen Y.

Written By: youngbull316 on 01/30/20 at 11:28 pm

Well you also have to take into account, that when a lot of these stars were breaking into mainstream, the term 'Millennial' was not en vogue. Gen Y was the term people used to define these stars, even if not explicitly. Kanye West, Kim Kardashian, Justin Timberlake, Heath Ledger, I could go on and on. We know in retrospect that they are at best 'Xennials', nor purely X nor Millennials. But they were still highly influential to the Millennial generation, hence why they are 'Millennial celebrities'. You simply cannot deny this.

That is exactly my point bro ;D. I don't think most 95-96 babies in real life are going to necessarily consider themselves Z, if it means the stereotype of kids that eat tide pods or play Fortnite. You catch my drift? You may think that is an unfair assessment, but that's just how it is. I genuinely thought back in 2015, that by 2020 maybe people born in 95-96 may actually come around to potentially calling themselves Gen Z, once 2000s babies age into adulthood. Five years later and ironically, I feel like the opposite has been true; I predicted that there would be less of a generational gap and if anything I feel like there is much more of a generational gap than I could have ever imagined.

And I think I know the Reddit you're referring to, personally people can define themselves however they do fit. But, anecdotal though, it's not even a conversation explicitly on "if you define yourself as Y or Z", I just look at characteristics and traits that are commonly associated with either generation. I just don't see how anybody born in the mid 90s, especially with the more concrete data that has been incurred in recent years and Gen Z now being more & more identifiable, could have mostly Z characteristics. Perhaps a mixture of both, I'll grant that (hell, I'm not purely Y or Z myself, but I definitely lean more towards the former). However, it's borderline impossible for that to be the case. You think I'm just spouting my own opinion, but I am actually just being objective:

Here is a link to a thread from Personality Cafe in which I conducted this social experiment on which generation do you relate more to:

https://www.personalitycafe.com/generation-z-forum/895994-between-generation-y-generation-z-take-test-youll-see.html

You'll notice based on the results from the questionnaire, that for Mid 90s babies:

1 of them related more to Z

2 of them seemed to be equally split

(Or in other words; 76% Y, 7.6% Z, 15% YZ, 1.4% other)

Immediately, once you get to Late 90s babies, the answers become a lot more varied, which I guess logically makes sense:

16 of them seemed to be equally split

(Or in other words; 30% Y, 21% Z, 48% YZ, 1% other)

Finally, once you get to Early 00s babies, the answers are varied, but they clearly lean more towards the Z side of things:

1 of them related more to Y

7 of them seemed to be equally split

(Or in other words; 6.6% Y, 46% Z, 46% YZ, 1.4% other).

It's a rather small sample size, admittedly. Even so, empirically, Mid 90s babies and Early 00s babies are diametrically opposed, as Early 00s babies are more likely to relate to Z, while Mid 90s babies are more likely to relate to Y. When it is purely a Y v. Z discussion, even Late 90s babies are slightly more likely to relate to Y, but the 'mixture of both' option has a plurality over the two other choices. Another interesting thing I noticed is that, while Mid 90s babies and Early 00s babies are more likely to relate to one of the other respected generations they culturally/mathematically lean closer to, Mid 90s babies are much more often than not to relate specifically to Y, as 76% said so, while Early 00s babies are a tad bit reserved in their apparent generational relationship to Z, as only 46% said (not a mathematical plurality nor majority, but obviously more than those that related to Y). But I think it would be interesting to pose these questions to members on this forum (or Popedia), as I think it's a relatively accurate guide of characteristics in determining which generation you belong in, just to expand research and the data pool.

Once again, I am not discarding. Just don't let him speak for us. It's that simple.

Ehhh..... I find it interesting that you bring that up. Guess who also had their peak childhoods mostly after 9/11? Those born in 1994. Why o why they are not in this discussion, is beyond me. The thing that connects those born in 94'-96', not to mention everybody born in the 80s through the mid 90s, we were all in compulsory school at the time of the attacks. If you're looking for a concrete example to use, that would be it. Although I've also explained in the past how Gen Y child centric culture lasted to the mid 00s, especially as the Web 1.0 era was transitioning into the Web 2.0 era. If you're childhood was primarily after 2005; social media, smartphones, faster internet, wi-fi, HDTVs, 7th generation video game consoles, etc. etc., then that would be more emblematic of a Z childhood. I don't care how many times someone born in the mid 90s wants jump and down, they are not time travelers ;D. Doing your upmost to stay relevant with current youth culture to appeal to a younger fanbase is one thing, but actually being apart of that generation is completely different.

This might not be too much of a necessary question to ask since you mentioned it a bunch, but I definitely agree with the points you just made. What is your concrete definition of the transition of Y and Z, and how much of a gradient or personal feeling/trait it is? And also what is your perception of absolute peak childhood?

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/30/20 at 11:36 pm

Well Zelda, that was a long response ;D. What about the term Zillennial? (combination of Millennial and Gen Z).

The Zillennial subreddit says that it ranges from 1992-1998, Us '99 borns are always left out :P.

Also, I think that 1994 borns can also consider themselves Gen Z, obviously, depending on the person. But 1994 overall, lean towards Gen Y.

Well I disagree with that. 1992 a Zillennial, were the people that created that subreddit high? Zillennial is from 1995-2000/2001. Another term I've heard tossed around is 'the Gap', which is a pretty cool nickname. I feel like if someone born in 1994 or before is going to identify as Z (no offense to them) but then there is seriously something wrong with them.

This might not be too much of a necessary question to ask since you mentioned it a bunch, but I definitely agree with the points you just made. What is your concrete definition of the transition of Y and Z, and how much of a gradient or personal feeling/trait it is? And also what is your perception of absolute peak childhood?

Thanks I appreciate it :). The The 'Zillennial' range would be those born from 1995-2001, or the H.S C/O's of 2013-2019. Those born from Late 94' to Mid 97' would lean Y. Those born from Late 98'-Mid 01' would lean Z. Those born in Late 97'-Mid 98' would be the epitome of the Y/Z Cusp.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 01/30/20 at 11:46 pm

Well I disagree with that. 1992 a Zillennial, were the people that created that subreddit high? Zillennial is from 1995-2000/2001. Another term I've heard tossed around is 'the Gap', which is a pretty cool nickname. I feel like if someone born in 1994 or before is going to identify as Z (no offense to them) but then there is seriously something wrong with them.

Thanks I appreciate it :). The The 'Zillennial' range would be those born from 1995-2001, or the H.S C/O's of 2013-2019. Those born from Late 94' to Mid 97' would lean Y. Those born from Late 98'-Mid 01' would lean Z. Those born in Late 97'-Mid 98' would be the epitome of the Y/Z Cusp.

They actually just added a 1999 flair. Yay! :D.

However, yeah, I think that Zillennials should be classified as 1995-2000/1 borns. I don't know why they included 1992-1993/4 borns.

Written By: 2001 on 01/31/20 at 5:46 am

I don't think 1992-1994 identifying as Z is too egregious. My brother born 1994 actually got his first smartphone in 2009 (the iPhone 3GS). From what I remember though, there were no notifications on it except when you got calls/SMS, and Facebook Mobile didn't launch until 2012, so it's not the same as 2012+ smart-phoning, but that's all a technicality.

As us Millennials move into our 30s and 40s and the differences between older and younger millennials dissipates, the generation is becoming more well-defined. I'm starting to think there is no cusp or early/core/late Millennial stuff. You're either millennial or you're not.

A book I read described Millennials as They can remember a time before the Internet, but they can't imagine life without it. I think that's the perfect definition. With Gen Z, I would just replace Internet with smartphones or social media, it seems mandatory for Gen Z socializing to have one.

And of course there are other hallmarks of the Millennial generation such as remember 9/11, the Iraq War, the Great Recession, the 2004/2008/2012 US presidential elections, but that all comes with the territory of being pre-smartphone, post-Internet late 1990s/2000s teens.

Written By: youngbull316 on 01/31/20 at 3:36 pm

Yeah, I pretty much see the "Zillennial" cusp as generally 1995-2001 as well, the twenty-teens graduates. However, I could see the C/O '13 solidly Late Millennial because they entered high school in the 2000's, last to vividly remember the 20th century (since most people on here generally agree that age 5 is when people have vivid memories) and be born before Windows 95, and the last to have their childhoods slightly peak prior to 9/11 (I believe that peak childhood is ages 6-8) and the C/O '19 solidly Early Z because they were the first 21st century babies, have the majority of their high school years during the Trump administration, spent a full school year after the Parkland shooting, probably don't remember the early 2000s, and the first to have most of their youth when culture started to clearly lean Z, making the true cusp range the C/O '14-'18 (b. Late 1995-Mid 2000).

From a demographical/sociological and even cultural standpoint, what in your opinion do you think those who are borderline on the cusp, a.k.a. the C/O 2012 (b. Late 1993-Mid 1994; the general 25 & 26 year-olds deeply rooted in their twenties) & C/O 2020 (b. Late 2001-Mid 2002; the current high school seniors coming of age this school year) respectively, who, by this definition would be the very last off-cusp Millennials and first off-cusp Z'ers? Would you think the '94er have any Z relation and the '02er have any Y relation? IMO, I would say there would be a slight overlap with them.

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/04/20 at 6:47 am

I’ve noticed the exact opposite. If anything it’s getting more rare to see late 90’s babies be called millennials. It seems like people are finally realizing they’re actually Gen Z. I hope that continues.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/04/20 at 9:45 am

I’ve noticed the exact opposite. If anything it’s getting more rare to see late 90’s babies be called millennials. It seems like people are finally realizing they’re actually Gen Z. I hope that continues.

LOL, you seem very invested the affairs of late '90s babies. It's not that serious ;D.

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/04/20 at 10:00 am

LOL, you seem very invested the affairs of late '90s babies. It's not that serious ;D.

stop getting mad just cause you got called gen z. it’s ok, you can’t always get what you want 😌💅🏿

Written By: Sman12 on 02/04/20 at 11:05 am

As a 2000-born, I do lean towards more Gen Z since I experienced the explosion of Internet "challenges", the evolution of Internet memes, social media dominance in pop culture, more active shooter drills in school, and hip-hop becoming the most popular genre for the youth. I was only a kid/preteen when millenial culture was still prominent, so I couldn't relate to it as much.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/04/20 at 1:52 pm

stop getting mad just cause you got called gen z. it’s ok, you can’t always get what you want 😌💅🏿

NOPE! 8)

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/04/20 at 2:10 pm

NOPE! 8)

https://media2.giphy.com/media/xTcnSOEKegBnYhGahW/source.gif

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/04/20 at 2:37 pm

https://media2.giphy.com/media/xTcnSOEKegBnYhGahW/source.gif

https://media.tenor.com/images/58681f182029d8b4e087cba6679b2c2e/tenor.gif

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/04/20 at 5:27 pm

yes
https://media3.giphy.com/media/Kzvsru1JqQg4E/source.gif

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/04/20 at 5:29 pm

you just mad cause you ain't part of the coolest generation  8) sorry but 2002 ain't never gonna happen again 💅🏿😌

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 02/04/20 at 6:43 pm

you just mad cause you ain't part of the coolest generation  8) sorry but 2002 ain't never gonna happen again 💅🏿😌

JordanK1982...... is that you!?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/04/20 at 7:04 pm

JordanK1982...... is that you!?

LOL, I forgot about him ;D.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 02/04/20 at 8:13 pm

LOL, I forgot about him ;D.

Lol, he was an inthe00s legend. I honestly miss him :\'(.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 02/05/20 at 5:17 pm

Since 2017 I have noticed a shift in what defines the millennial generation. In the mid 2010s everyone assumed it was from 1980-00 but I see things have shifted since the 2016 election.

Written By: Zelek3 on 02/05/20 at 7:18 pm

Lol, he was an inthe00s legend. I honestly miss him :\'(.

His head would probably explode if he saw how nostalgia for 2004-2014 became popular on the internet recently. ;D

Written By: 2001 on 02/05/20 at 7:20 pm

His head would probably explode if he saw how nostalgia for 2004-2014 became popular on the internet recently. ;D

I can also now call 2002 a core 2000s year guilt free :D

Don't hurt me Jordan, if you ever read this ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/06/20 at 6:19 pm

Some 2006 born was arguing with me about being a "2000s kid" on Reddit ;D.

He said he was a "2000s kid" because he just so happened to grow up with a few "2000s stuff" and he can remember a few things from 2009 (when he was 3). Then, he got mad and insulted me ;D.

What has the world come to? ;D

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/06/20 at 9:43 pm

He said he was a "2000s kid" because he just so happened to grow up with a few "2000s stuff" and he can remember a few things from 2009 (when he was 3). Then, he got mad and insulted me ;D.

Lol this is the same exact arguement a lot of people made to qualify as 90s kids too.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/06/20 at 10:29 pm

Lol this is the same exact arguement a lot of people made to qualify as 90s kids too.

Yep. I'm not gonna lie. I used make that same argument too back in 2011-2013. I wanted to fit in with the cool kids :-[.

I was the same age as he is now. Even funnier is that he called me an "almost millennial". This kid man ;D.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/06/20 at 11:01 pm

Yep. I'm not gonna lie. I used make that same argument too back in 2011-2013. I wanted to fit in with other '90s borns :-[.

I was the same age as he is now. Even funnier is that he called me an "almost millennial". This kid man ;D.

I thought of myself as a partial 90s kid, but a late 90s kid. I never ever disregarded the early 2000s though. I had been nostalgic for the early 2000s since 2009, so I always just said I was a mix of late 90s and early 2000s. I wasn't aware of what constituted "real" 90s culture, which would be mid 90s.

I was told only people born in 1992 were hybrids but I never argued with people back then because I was mostly content with reminiscing on the early 2000s and knew my childhood was great regardless.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/06/20 at 11:06 pm

I thought of myself as a partial 90s kid, but a late 90s kid. I never ever disregarded the early 2000s though. I had been nostalgic for the early 2000s since 2009, so I always just said I was a mix of late 90s and early 2000s. I wasn't aware of what constituted "real" 90s culture, which would be mid 90s.

I was told only people born in 1992 were hybrids but I never argued with people back then because I was mostly content with reminiscing on the early 2000s and knew my childhood was great regardless.

Yeah.

As a '99 born, most of the shows & video games in your signature I watched/played as a kid as well. Of course, I watched/played them mostly in the mid-late 2000s though.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 02/08/20 at 1:28 pm

It's funny because those were the same arguments people in my birth year used during the height of the 90s kid craze 10 years ago.

"We grew up with DBZ!!!"

"We also watched Rugrats!!!"

"POKEMONNNN, GOTTA CATCH DEM ALL!!!"

"Let's be REAL guys; the 90s didn't technically end until 2004"

Are just a handful of examples ;D. I was talking to Marquis on another thread about this, and I think the reason why we got so defensive back then was because the 90s trends that we were actually claiming as apart of our childhood were trends that lasted into the early 2000s as well. Hence we were able to relate to a good chunk of the 90s kids memes, even if we technically weren't '90s kids'. I'd imagine that's probably what some 2000s borns are doing with various 2000s trends that continued into the early 2010s.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/08/20 at 5:08 pm

It's funny because those were the same arguments people in my birth year used during the height of the 90s kid craze 10 years ago.

"We grew up with DBZ!!!"

"We also watched Rugrats!!!"

"POKEMONNNN, GOTTA CATCH DEM ALL!!!"

"Let's be REAL guys; the 90s didn't technically end until 2004"

Are just a handful of examples ;D. I was talking to Marquis on another thread about this, and I think the reason why we got so defensive back then was because the 90s trends that we were actually claiming as apart of our childhood were trends that lasted into the early 2000s as well. Hence we were able to relate to a good chunk of the 90s kids memes, even if we technically weren't '90s kids'. I'd imagine that's probably what some 2000s borns are doing with various 2000s trends that continued into the early 2010s.

Yeah, basically ;D.

Written By: youngbull316 on 11/13/20 at 2:50 am

Here's another thing, as Black Panther has already brought up more than once, when it comes to celebrities, 1995 and 1996 are clear cut Gen Z. You don't ever hear 1995 or 1996 celebrities being called "millennials". That is definitely true. When it comes to Gen Z celebrities (not average citizens) it starts at 1995 through and thorough.

Facts. Though I might include 1994 as clear cut Gen Z, based on celebrities, as a lot of stereotypical Gen Z celebs were born that year.

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/17/20 at 2:34 pm

Facts. Though I might include 1994 as clear cut Gen Z, based on celebrities, as a lot of stereotypical Gen Z celebs were born that year.

I'd still consider 1994 and 1995 as late Millennials. 1996 and 1997 are on the cusp. This is more based on people in real life, as celebrities tend to appeal to an audience younger than them and play the roles of such (ex: Zendaya).

Written By: youngbull316 on 12/06/20 at 6:48 am

I'd still consider 1994 and 1995 as late Millennials. 1996 and 1997 are on the cusp. This is more based on people in real life, as celebrities tend to appeal to an audience younger than them and play the roles of such (ex: Zendaya).

I know that. I was just talking if it was just about celebs. Typically, I would start Gen Z in 2000 or 2001.

Check for new replies or respond here...